Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why the decline of the BNP is good new for Farage’s UKIP

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Wanderer said:

Wanderer said:

Problem is now. They have 1.1 million extra people and still 3000+ people are registering every day...What the bloody hell are they going to do with them all.

Hmmm... should have thought about that earlier.

People like myself did. I personally experienced the debate - between those who were aghast at the open door policy and those where aghast at those who were aghast - at my place of work. Those who loudly supported letting in endless millions of incompatible migrants (and most are just that: economic migrants, not refugees) are now (not so) surprisingly quiet. Maybe in ten years time they'll openly admit to having been totally wrong, mindlessly following the dogma of the liberal-left consensus of the Western political class and media.

All those people protesting in favour of endless, uncontrolled open door immigration from North Africa and the Middle East... I wonder if they'll soon start deleting the evidence from their Facebook profiles etc?
    It's also possible to have a semi-open door, take some people but not all, which is effectively what we are doing at present.
    Semi open, more like gaping, 600000 last year. God knows what you consider open if 600k is ajar.
    We haven't taken anything like that number of people from Syria and North Africa have we?
    Just wait until they get permanent residency or citizenship from Germany. Then, thanks to EU membership, they can legally just enter and settle here in Britain.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    edited January 2016

This is Turkey we're talking about. Turkey. We only pretend to be friends with them in order to keep them in NATO, allied against the nutty Russians.

Diplomatically put. Not necessarily inaccurate.
  • Options

john_zims said:

@FrancisUrquhart

'Problem is now. They have 1.1 million extra people and still 3000+ people are registering every day...What the bloody hell are they going to do with them all'

I thought the EU had done a deal with Turkey, free access to Schengen without visas for Turks plus a € 3 billion EU handout but as you say & the TV shows they still keep coming.

Has the the EU has been conned.

And you're surprised?

This is Turkey we're talking about. Turkey. We only pretend to be friends with them in order to keep them in NATO, allied against the nutty Russians.

All we've done is open the door (further) to some 80 million Turks, most of which practice that particular religion which is so compatible with the West.
    Turkey for a century has been by and large a secular state. Let's not lump it in with the Arabic religious nuts, it is far more European in culture than that.

Not identical by any means but a lot closer. Turkey is to Saudi what 19th century England was to the Spanish Inquisition.
  • Options

Wanderer said:

Wanderer said:

Problem is now. They have 1.1 million extra people and still 3000+ people are registering every day...What the bloody hell are they going to do with them all.

People like myself did. I personally experienced the debate - between those who were aghast at the open door policy and those where aghast at those who were aghast - at my place of work. Those who loudly supported letting in endless millions of incompatible migrants (and most are just that: economic migrants, not refugees) are now (not so) surprisingly quiet. Maybe in ten years time they'll openly admit to having been totally wrong, mindlessly following the dogma of the liberal-left consensus of the Western political class and media.

All those people protesting in favour of endless, uncontrolled open door immigration from North Africa and the Middle East... I wonder if they'll soon start deleting the evidence from their Facebook profiles etc?
    It's also possible to have a semi-open door, take some people but not all, which is effectively what we are doing at present.
    Semi open, more like gaping, 600000 last year. God knows what you consider open if 600k is ajar.
    We haven't taken anything like that number of people from Syria and North Africa have we?
    Just wait until they get permanent residency or citizenship from Germany. Then, thanks to EU membership, they can legally just enter and settle here in Britain.
    Well that's a separate issue. I was referring to the Government's policy on refugees from Syria.

But yes, whatever problems there are in Germany will appear here.
  • Options

Wanderer said:

Wanderer said:

Wow. I can't believe what I am reading in these comments... people turning the situation in Europe into a men v. women thing, rather than what the real battle is, namely the civilized world v. the barbarians.

It's no wonder we are witnessing the end of our civilization here in Europe.

I give it by the end of this year before the first European states break down into violence and/or succumb to fascism.

Well quite, it's only a matter of time before vigilantes in Cologne take the law into their own hands.

The first duty of a government is to protect its country and its citizens.

The German government not only has failed in this in a negligent way, but actually recklessly compromised the security of its territory and people.

The Germans should - and in time, will - rise up. It will be nasty. And it's what happens when ideological idiots like Merkel gain power and abuse it.
    Well said Sir.

Contributors on here that I had previously considered lucid and measured are suggesting locking up all German men.

I'm sure they'd all understand.

As I've said a couple of times, I'm not advocating any kind of curfew. Rather, I think we should look at the situation with the kind of urgency we would have if we were faced with that as the alternative. People propose various solutions - @Cyclefree has summarised a few. I have a strong suspicion that none of them will be adopted and that we'll muddle through. Or rather women will muddle though. Which I don't think is OK.

I actually don't think there's any disagreement between those of us commenting here tbh. All I'm really saying is we can't let this linger as just one of those things women have to put up with.
    So what would you do beyond wringing your hands?
    Deport or imprison the people responsible.

What would you do?
    You know, it would have been much simpler (and nicer for the victims) if they hadn't been allowed to just walk into the country (or, even, freely bused in...) without any checks or control.

Stable doors, horses, bolting...
    Give them the right to work and let them work. What else would you do with economic migrants?
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

Wanderer said:

Wanderer said:

Well that's a separate issue. I was referring to the Government's policy on refugees from Syria.

But yes, whatever problems there are in Germany will appear here.
    Not for 7 years at least and by then they should be settled down with a job and a home in the west they'd have to leave to start over here.
  • Options

john_zims said:

@FrancisUrquhart

'Problem is now. They have 1.1 million extra people and still 3000+ people are registering every day...What the bloody hell are they going to do with them all'

I thought the EU had done a deal with Turkey, free access to Schengen without visas for Turks plus a € 3 billion EU handout but as you say & the TV shows they still keep coming.

And you're surprised?

All we've done is open the door (further) to some 80 million Turks, most of which practice that particular religion which is so compatible with the West.
    Turkey for a century has been by and large a secular state. Let's not lump it in with the Arabic religious nuts, it is far more European in culture than that.

Not identical by any means but a lot closer. Turkey is to Saudi what 19th century England was to the Spanish Inquisition.
    As I understand it the future of secularism in Turkey is quite doubtful? But it is clearly very far from being Saudi. There's a Turkish atheist I follow on Twitter who would presumably be dead if she were in Saudi Arabia.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited January 2016
    Shabani, the witness spoken to by the Guardian, said she had viewed the events from the cathedral steps, having gone to the city centre to experience her first German new year, eight months after arriving as a political asylum seeker from Iran. She said she had been astounded by the police’s nonchalance. “They seemed to just let it happen,” she said. “I watched as men fired large firecrackers horizontally into the crowd and they police just stood at the side of the square with their hands on their hips”.

Describing what she called “coordination tactics” among the men, Shabani said: “I watched for some time as three men who were smartly dressed gave out instructions. One time a group of three or four males would come up to them, be given instructions and sent away into the crowd. Then another group of four or five would come up, and they’d gesticulate in various directions and send them off again.”

The men occasionally paused to take selfies on their mobiles, she said, adding that they wore “sports chic” or “the type of clothing rappers might wear – smart trainers, baseball caps”.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jan/08/cologne-violence-suspects-include-asylum-seekers
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

john_zims said:

@FrancisUrquhart

And you're surprised?

As I understand it the future of secularism in Turkey is quite doubtful? But it is clearly very far from being Saudi. There's a Turkish atheist I follow on Twitter who would presumably be dead if she were in Saudi Arabia.
    Exactly.

The Middle East truly is like a time warp in places and not in a good Rocky Horror Picture Show kind of way. To lump all Muslims in the globe together is worse than lumping all Christians in the globe together ... it's more like lumping all Christians in the globe today in together with the worst horrors of Medieval Christianity too.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

Patrick said:
    »
    @Er...she came to power in 1979. Winter of Discontent and all that. Bit like griping at Ozzy for not chopping more than a hundred billion off the mess he inherited from Gordo already. EVERY Tory government faces the same problem - it comes after a Labour one - and the money is gone.'

Really ignorant I am afraid! - In 1970 Ted Heath inherited a Budget Surplus from his Labour predecessors AND a Balance of Payments surplus. No Tory Government has bequeathed either to its Labour successors
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068

Cyclefree said:

Wow. I can't believe what I am reading in these comments... people turning the situation in Europe into a men v. women thing, rather than what the real battle is, namely the civilized world v. the barbarians.

I give it by the end of this year before the first European states break down into violence and/or succumb to fascism.

It is not a men v women thing. Or it should not be. But the response of some men has been outrage at the idea that in the forced choice of on whom a curfew should be imposed, some of us have suggested that it should be imposed on the sex from which the attackers are likely to come rather than on the possible victims.

Such a choice is ludicrous of course. We should not be in this situation. But we are. So what's it to be guys?

1. Put up with sexual crimes on our streets and pray that it does not happen to your daughters.
    2. A de facto curfew on women.
    3. A curfew on all men.
    4. A curfew on all men of North African and Arabic appearance.
    5. A curfew on all immigrants.
    6. Arresting, conducting and deporting (to where?) the criminals.

Because at the moment what's happening is a mix of 1 and 2. Not good enough. Seriously not good enough.

So enough with male outrage at the very idea of having to have your freedoms restricted - welcome to our world - and let's hear your actual solutions to this problem now. And not "we shouldn't be in this position".
    Personally I think the one we should be concentrating on is #6. It should be made absolutely clear that our society and our modern culture is based on the principle that everyone is equal under the law and that applies to women and gays just as much as anyone else. Any immigrant who does not abide by these principles should be subject to deportation.

Immigrants need to earn the right to stay in our country. They do that by behaving as good, responsible citizens. If they do not do so then they should lose that right. I honestly don't care where they get deported to. They do not deserve that consideration if they are attacking people in our country.

By the way, that should apply to an Australian, a Frenchman or a Brazilian just as much as a Syrian or North African.
    What he said.

(I just wish I'd could put it so eloquently)
  • Options

john_zims said:

@FrancisUrquhart

And you're surprised?

The Caliphate was based in Turkey until 1924.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Well quite, it's only a matter of time before vigilantes in Cologne take the law into their own hands.

The first duty of a government is to protect its country and its citizens.

The German government not only has failed in this in a negligent way, but actually recklessly compromised the security of its territory and people.

The Germans should - and in time, will - rise up. It will be nasty. And it's what happens when ideological idiots like Merkel gain power and abuse it.
    Well said Sir.

Contributors on here that I had previously considered lucid and measured are suggesting locking up all German men.

I'm sure they'd all understand.

FWIW @Cyclefree isn't suggesting that.

She's reacting to the Mayor (of Vienna?) who said "it's dangerous for women, they should stay in doors". In that context she argued if the authorities can't solve the problem, why should the victims be confined, not the perpetrators.

It was a rhetorical argument that made a serious point, not a policy proposal
  • Options
    An Islamic cleric who defends domestic violence is among a string of extremist speakers touring British universities unchallenged, the Mail Investigations Unit can reveal.

Egyptian cleric Fadel Soliman spoke at five such events last year, using them to refer Muslim students to an online lecture series in which he speaks in favour of hitting women and outlines the Islamic case for sex slavery and polygamy.

Mr Soliman told students at Sheffield University that watching his lectures could be ‘a turning point’ in their lives.

In his extraordinary videos, he advises physical punishment for wives who have displeased their husbands, saying ‘the hitting must be done with a small stick’.
  • Options
    Another organisation allowed to speak unchallenged at recent university events is MEND – a radical Islamist group that has been associated with a number of extremist statements. MEND’s head of community development, Azad Ali, has suggested the killing of British troops can be justified.

He has also said that the 2008 Mumbai attacks, in which a gang of Islamist militants slaughtered more than 160, were ‘not terrorism’ and that implementing Sharia law was more important than democracy.
  • Options

Wanderer said:

We didn't take 600,000 refugees last year
  • Options
    edited January 2016

Wanderer said:

Wanderer said:

Just like the 2 million Turks in Germany have done already. Oh wait, they haven't.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941

An Islamic cleric who defends domestic violence is among a string of extremist speakers touring British universities unchallenged, the Mail Investigations Unit can reveal.

Egyptian cleric Fadel Soliman spoke at five such events last year, using them to refer Muslim students to an online lecture series in which he speaks in favour of hitting women and outlines the Islamic case for sex slavery and polygamy.

Mr Soliman told students at Sheffield University that watching his lectures could be ‘a turning point’ in their lives.

In his extraordinary videos, he advises physical punishment for wives who have displeased their husbands, saying ‘the hitting must be done with a small stick’.

Morning. It looks like the Mail are not going to let this story die, it's clear they've got a weeks worth of front pages about Islamists and their activities in the UK.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited January 2016
    Sandpit said:

Morning. It looks like the Mail are not going to let this story die, it's clear they've got a weeks worth of front pages about Islamists and their activities in the UK.
    The likes of the BBC / Guardian don't seem very interested. I know its the Mail, but I wonder what the reaction had been if the Guardian had ran several days of stories of leading figures from Britain First, BNP and EDL were touring universities spreading their hate?

Given what has happen across Europe, one might think that there might be interested in an expose into people spreading the kind of views that many of the people involved in the events in places like Cologne clearly think are acceptable.
  • Options

john_zims said:

@FrancisUrquhart

And you're surprised?

The Caliphate was based in Turkey until 1924.
    Hence why I said by and large. 92 years is pretty close to a century. Perhaps should have been clearer but I didn't think Ataturk founded his state during WWI.
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited January 2016

Wanderer said:

Wanderer said:

Perhaps one of the issues which will feature large in the upcoming debate ahead of the Remain/Leave referendum.
    Like I've said before those 3.0 decimal odds available for Leave are not without their attractions, but DYOR.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941

Wanderer said:

Wanderer said:

Perhaps one of the issues which will feature large in the upcoming debate ahead of the Remain/Leave referendum.
    Like I've said before those 3.0 decimal odds available for Leave are not without their attractions, but DYOR.
    There is some value in the price, but the date is not yet announced and could be more than 18 months away yet. Unless the PM campaigns for Leave there will be higher than 2/1 available at some point, probably shortly after the PMs announcement when a number of DKs in the polling break for Remain.
This discussion has been closed.