Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why the decline of the BNP is good new for Farage’s UKIP

Comments

• Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,978
    So, I see labour have taken the fight to the tor...err..bbc tonight.
  • Options

Terrorist attack in Hurghada

I am amazed the one yesterday in Egypt got virtually no coverage.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
    edited January 2016
    Carlisle by-election, wining candidate works with Army Cadet Force.

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/independent-candidate-wins-carlisle-by-election-1.1232653
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

@Danny565 The contradictory examples you gave are symptomatic of a wider mistrust of Labour making the right decisions about using public money.

One side-effect of Jeremy Corbyn's election is that Labour is for the while practically obliged to fight on an anti-austerity basis. In my view Labour needs to commit firmly to increasing taxation beyond what the Conservatives would do in return for additional increases in public spending/deficit reduction. The public aren't prepared to buy a gold watch for a dollar and think that's what Labour is trying to sell it. They might be prepared to pay fair value though.

Firstly the heavy lifting is already being done or has been done by Osborne and the coalition. This has still allowed lots of jobs to be created.

Secondly - really do you or anyone really believe in all this 'additional taxation to reduce the deficit' guff? How many times over how many decades have we been through all this.
    Can you explain where some 50 billion of extra taxation would come from? Lets get real we are not talking piddling sums from labour.
    That 50bn is there forever under labour, year on year extra spending. Once all that extra spending is there then any attempt not to spend it is labelled 'austerity'

Just how gullible are people.
    Funny you should ask that question about additional taxation. I do have an answer to that but I'll hold that back for a while if that's ok.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290

Keeping the story in the news for tomorrow, and Sunday?
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Karl Rove in the Wall Street Journal

“Should Donald Trump, the current leader in most statewide and national polling, become the party’s pick, Rove predicted that the Democrats would maintain control of the White House for another four years and would also retake control of the Senate. The GOP’s overall share of seats in the House would also take a tumble, he added.
    “However, if the Republican field is only two or three candidates by the March 15 primaries,” he also wrote, Trump will not be the Republican nominee. “If on the Ides of March someone wins both the winner-take-all primaries in Florida (by congressional district) and Ohio (statewide), that person will be the nominee.”
    http://www.politico.com/story/2016/01/karl-rove-multi-ballot-gop-convention-217454

GOP Panic lol
    'The party's pick'...I misread that!
  • Options
    PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    O/T is this http://www.felix-monge.fr/comptoir-de-mercerie.html
    and this
    http://www.felix-monge.fr/table-darchitecte.html

over the top. I am running out of friend and relations to offload furniture to.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,978
    dr_spyn said:

Milne's Magic again ;)
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,422

@Danny565 The contradictory examples you gave are symptomatic of a wider mistrust of Labour making the right decisions about using public money.

One side-effect of Jeremy Corbyn's election is that Labour is for the while practically obliged to fight on an anti-austerity basis. In my view Labour needs to commit firmly to increasing taxation beyond what the Conservatives would do in return for additional increases in public spending/deficit reduction. The public aren't prepared to buy a gold watch for a dollar and think that's what Labour is trying to sell it. They might be prepared to pay fair value though.

The idea that Labour would put up taxes to cut the deficit is at best, half-right.

Whenever Labour puts taxes up, they spend it. Corbyn and MacDonnell would spend the lot and then some - and then when the money runs out, it'd all be someone else's fault. Again.
  • Options
    flightpath01flightpath01 Posts: 4,903
    AndyJS said:

'decline in BNP is good news for Farage' .

Huh?

Since the BNP only polled 1,667 votes at the election I can't see how anyone is going to benefit from their final demise.
    My thought was - who is going to publicise taking their crown?
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

Milne's Magic again ;)
    I am sure before he got the job, he told JJ he would increase Labour profile in the media and by extension the wider public. I think he has been a stunning success in that respect.
  • Options

The idea that Labour would put up taxes to cut the deficit is at best, half-right.

Whenever Labour puts taxes up, they spend it. Corbyn and MacDonnell would spend the lot and then some - and then when the money runs out, it'd all be someone else's fault. Again.
    And my point - which frankly I think is more important under present circumstances - is that that any attempt to retrieve the said spending position, from no matter how high a base (and no matter how much money is wasted) will be pejoratively labelled 'austerity'.

When will people wake up?
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    HYUFD said:

BigRich said:

Sandpit said:

chestnut said:

Charles said:

Yes, I think that's right.

Incidentally, the Passport Office (quoted by Sandpit as an example of good public service) was also a good example of a big computer project in the public sector which went smoothly and delivered what was expected. It would be interesting to compare with others and try to spot what they did right.

http://www.amazon.com/Small-Is-Beautiful-Economics-Mattered/dp/0060916303

How complicated a process is providing a passport and arranging renewal?

Compare that to the gargantuan complexity of the welfare state or the tax code.

Every time they invent yet another new benefit or tax rule, it always comes with caveats, special dispensations etc.
    Which is a great reason to throw the tax code in the bin and start again, rather than the endless tweaks, allowances and exceptions which make for the massive book of tax code that we have to turn into rules for the computer every year. Universal Credit does the same for the benefits system, and it's nearly there a little late, but a massive achievement for IDS and his team.

There is a great opportunity for the government to make inroads into the too-difficult-to-do-and-still-be-elected list in the next couple of years, if Labour persist with Corbyn in charge.
    Universal Welfare Payment, and a Flat Tax.

The Ultimate combination of 'to difficult to do in normal times' But would have immense and ongoing benefits to the economy and society in general.
    A more contributions based welfare payment system would be better
    Sorry HYUFD, I entirely disagree, a 'contributions based welfare' may sound good and indeed may feel good but amongst overthinks that is how we started out with NI and got to the currant over complex arbitrary and unfair system we have now.

1) Keeping track of contributions is complex, and therefor both expensive and prone to mistakes.

2) Any contribution system would need to have caveats and special allowances for people who could not work for 'legitimate' reasons, e,g. looking after children or ill relatives.

3) This crates a subjective element to it making it prone to be used go give away benefits to special interests and supporter.

4) people will have perceptions of unfairness, leading to envy and resentment, and social disharmony.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

Firstly the heavy lifting is already being done or has been done by Osborne and the coalition. This has still allowed lots of jobs to be created.

Secondly - really do you or anyone really believe in all this 'additional taxation to reduce the deficit' guff? How many times over how many decades have we been through all this.
    Can you explain where some 50 billion of extra taxation would come from? Lets get real we are not talking piddling sums from labour.
    That 50bn is there forever under labour, year on year extra spending. Once all that extra spending is there then any attempt not to spend it is labelled 'austerity'

Just how gullible are people.
    Funny you should ask that question about additional taxation. I do have an answer to that but I'll hold that back for a while if that's ok.
    Bated breath - hope I don't miss it. You have to fear for the bankers.

Edit
    If there were a significant decrease in income tax I would put VAT up to 25%. But as a pensioner it would stuff me. However it would mean visitors and migrant workers paying tax they could not avoid.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941

dr_spyn said:

Milne's Magic again ;)
    I am sure before he got the job, he told JJ he would increase Labour profile in the media and by extension the wider public. I think he has been a stunning success in that respect.
    Yep, there's been almost nothing else on the news politically since Milne was appointed! All publicity's good publicity, right..?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

At the root the problems with EU / benefits is the fact most European countries already have some sort of contribution based system, and they think its a bit weird we don't, why don't we change and that the whole migrants claiming benefits issues wouldn't be so great.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,164
    BigRich said:

HYUFD said:

BigRich said:

Sandpit said:

chestnut said:

Charles said:

Yes, I thi

http://www.amazon.com/Small-Is-Beautiful-Economics-Mattered/dp/0060916303

How complicated a process is providing a passport and arranging renewal?

Compare that to the gargantuan complexity of the welfare state or the tax code.

Every time they invent yet another new benefit or tax rule, it always comes with caveats, special dispensations etc.
    Which is a great reason to throw the tax code in the bin and start again, rather than the en

There is a great opportunity for the government to make inroads into the too-difficult-to-do-and-still-be-elected list in the next couple of years, if Labour persist with Corbyn in charge.
    Sorry HYUFD, I entirely disagree, a 'contributions based welfare' may sound good and indeed may feel good but amongst overthinks that is how we started out with NI and got to the currant over complex arbitrary and unfair system we have now.

1) Keeping track of contributions is complex, and therefor both expensive and prone to mistakes.

2) Any contribution system would need to have caveats and special allowances for people who could not work for 'legitimate' reasons, e,g. looking after children or ill relatives.

3) This crates a subjective element to it making it prone to be used go give away benefits to special interests and supporter.

4) people will have perceptions of unfairness, leading to envy and resentment, and social disharmony.
    1) If the Chancellor is forced to ring-fence NI contributions so it can only be used for pensions and JSA payments then keeping track of them is not so difficult

2) Those groups comprise a small minority and most people who have children now work whether a father or mother.

3) There would be no special interests benefiting at all as welfare, apart from a very basic minimum, would be based on the contributions paid in

4) Quite the reverse, people will see a far fairer system based on 'what you put in you get out', leading to much less resentment of welfare 'scroungers' and increased social harmony

So I am afraid I disagree with you on all counts!

• Options
    There seems to be a load of impostors wearing Liverpool shirts on the telly....
  • Options

HYUFD said:

At the root the problems with EU / benefits is the fact most European countries already have some sort of contribution based system, and they think its a bit weird we don't, why don't we change and that the whole migrants claiming benefits issues wouldn't be so great.
    Merging Income tax and NI is going the opposite way.
    I would have thought a staged increase in NI and reduction in income tax would be plausible. But again quite frankly we need a national consensus. We do not need a political football.

This does not stop health services running up deficits and need ing to borrow money or have the hole filled by national governments
  • Options
    edited January 2016

There seems to be a load of impostors wearing Liverpool shirts on the telly....

Yep! Average age 22, average shirt number 34 :o

Everything set up perfectly for the cup weekend to start with a massive upset!
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Republicans-wise, I can't make held nor tale of why Bush is at 10s. There's not state race that looks good for him (NH is the closest) and he trails by miles in most - and nationally. Sure, financially, he's got some staying power... but to what end. His national polling has been declining for months - and the caucuses tend to punish poor contenders.

One answer is that uninformed punters do not realise Bush is dead. Another is that punters know Bush has a humungous warchest so is well-equipped for a long war of attrition. Come back in the summer and I'll give you a clearer answer.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,582

What Labour needed to at the end of the cold war was become the SPD (Tax and spend -carefully). In fact that was what Blair claimed to be offering.

How about this for an internationalist, EU centric idea. The Labour party becomes the UK branch of the SPD? Complete amalgamation....
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,164

HYUFD said:

Indeed Germany has an excellent system where for the first year or two your benefits depend on the amount you have paid into the system when employed in the preceeding few years, paid out regardless of savings, once that expires there is still a lower basic level of benefits if you have no savings left
  • Options
    Exeter 1 Liverpool 0 after 8 mins
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Republicans-wise, I can't make held nor tale of why Bush is at 10s. There's not state race that looks good for him (NH is the closest) and he trails by miles in most - and nationally. Sure, financially, he's got some staying power... but to what end. His national polling has been declining for months - and the caucuses tend to punish poor contenders.

Who knows - Rubio is finally back the right side of 2-1, though.
    I laid plenty of Rubio @ 3. My book is Cruz ++, Trump +, Rubio 0, Christie 0, Bush -.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited January 2016

Exeter 1 Liverpool Nomads (of the Mersyside Sunday League Div 1) 0 after 8 mins

Corrected for you.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,715
    edited January 2016

MattW said:

dr_spyn said:

Flying Scotsman on BBC News.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35259914

Nice job, but the livery appears to have been devolved.

I say it should be green.
    Ah, but what shade of green: Apple Green or Brunswick Green? :)

It is a question of vital importance to some people. Wartime black seems a suitable colour considering the locomotive's disastrous renovation.
    Pendant !

Flying Scotsman Green.

:-o
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

What Labour needed to at the end of the cold war was become the SPD (Tax and spend -carefully). In fact that was what Blair claimed to be offering.

How about this for an internationalist, EU centric idea. The Labour party becomes the UK branch of the SPD? Complete amalgamation....
    Would the Conservatives merge with the CDU at the same time?
  • Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897
    I really hope neither Bush nor Rubio win the nomination. They are faux conservatives, pandering to immigration concerns in the same way as Borris or Dave do but intending on doing the most minimalist actions in reality.
  • Options

Exeter 1 Liverpool Nomads (of the Mersyside Sunday League) 0 after 8 mins

Corrected for you.
    Now 1 - 1
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Pauly said:

I really hope neither Bush nor Rubio win the nomination. They are faux conservatives, pandering to immigration concerns in the same way as Borris or Dave do but intending on doing the most minimalist actions in reality.

From what I have read it would seem that all of the candidates both Democrat and Republican are sub optimal. The sad thing for America is that one of them will be President.
  • Options

Exeter 1 Liverpool 0 after 8 mins

Not for long!
  • Options

Exeter 1 Liverpool Nomads (of the Mersyside Sunday League) 0 after 8 mins

Corrected for you.
    Now 1 - 1
    The giant killing in on....for Liverpool Nomads...
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    AndyJS said:
    AS usual the average citizen made to pay for the stupidity of our political masters.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    AndyJS said:
    Somebody was on here 2-3 days ago saying on a recent trip to Vienna they were told by taxi drivers to watch out.
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

The Labour party is an old established brand that has lost it's way. It needs a revamp and retool. A return to its roots, but a new direction at the same time.

A takeover by a compatible, successful organisation could be just what they need.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Floater said:

AndyJS said:
    AS usual the average citizen made to pay for the stupidity of our political masters.
    The killer line is in the Guardian opinion piece today.

"Which is why, of course, liberals like me are reluctant to talk about it."

I see...so you are reluctant to talk about widespread wrong doing, because of Stage III fears. And besides, don't remember you been so reluctant to lay into Tyson Fury for what best part of 1-2 weeks, and he is from an often oppressed and marginalized group* in society.

* And no I don't been dickheads.
  • Options

Wanderer said:

The Labour party is an old established brand that has lost it's way. It needs a revamp and retool. A return to its roots, but a new direction at the same time.

A takeover by a compatible, successful organisation could be just what they need.
    I think we should at least get a grand coalition in that case. I want to see Diane in Dave's cabinet.
  • Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897
    Off-topic: Does anyone know what is likely to happen in terms of escalation if the junior doctor contract is imposed in August 2016? And also in the buildup to such an event.
  • Options
    PBModeratorPBModerator Posts: 661
    edited January 2016
    MikeK - Your comments are totally unacceptable.

As moderation is going to be light this weekend, take the weekend off and use the time to reflect.
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

Wanderer said:

I think we should at least get a grand coalition in that case. I want to see Diane in Dave's cabinet.
    she would not fit
  • Options

Wanderer said:

Wanderer said:

she would not fit
    He's a rich man, his cabinets are XL
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

HYUFD said:

Merging Income tax and NI is going the opposite way.
    I would have thought a staged increase in NI and reduction in income tax would be plausible. But again quite frankly we need a national consensus. We do not need a political football.

This does not stop health services running up deficits and need ing to borrow money or have the hole filled by national governments
    The problem with NI (apart from the complexity and cost of running 2 systems) is that it only taxes income from pay, i.e. income from Saving(intest, dividends, rent etc) is not paid, therefore it is a distortion in the favour of the wealthy.

There is a large held misconception that employers NI is not paid by the employee, it is in the form of lower pay, if employer NI was abolished (or reduced) the free market forces, the Invisible hand of the market, would mean that pay would increase, and by the same amount.

It is just a sheared to pretend to people that they are not paying as much tax as they actually are.

for Info,

1) If you are on the standard rate of tax 20% then in reality 40.24% of the money your employer allocates to compensate you, is taken by the government.

2) running the NI system cost 4.6 Billion pounds.
  • Options
    Exeter 2 Liverpool 1
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited January 2016
    Exeter go ahead with a direct kick from a corner.
  • Options

Exeter 2 Liverpool 1

Half time
  • Options
    Terrible defending from the underdogs there.
  • Options

Wanderer said:

Wanderer said:

she would not fit
    You could put her in charge of squashing the gang problem among inner city "youf".
  • Options
    Latest developments:

"Tourists Stabbed At Egyptian Beach Resort
    Gunmen, also armed with knives and a suicide belt, arrive by boat to target tourists at a Red Sea hotel, security sources say."

http://news.sky.com/story/1619406/tourists-stabbed-at-egyptian-beach-resort

"Philadelphia Cop 'Shot By IS Sympathiser'
    A 30-year-old who pledged allegiance to Islamic State fired 11 shots at the officer in an "attempted assassination", police say."

http://news.sky.com/story/1619383/philadelphia-cop-shot-by-is-sympathiser
  • Options
    edited January 2016

Floater said:

AndyJS said:

I see...so you are reluctant to talk about widespread wrong doing, because of Stage III fears. And besides, don't remember you been so reluctant to lay into Tyson Fury for what best part of 1-2 weeks, and he is from an often oppressed and marginalized group* in society.

The problem is this - in order to deal with this problem, it would be necessary for nice people to say out loud that some parts of First World Civilisation (which they interpret as white people - being racists) are much better than other available cultures. This would mean (to them) saying white people are better (at some things) than some brown people.

Which the Guardianistas can never, ever do,
  • Options

Floater said:

AndyJS said:

You will note that sympathy for travellers and those of African descent has become muted in recent years among the idiot left. They have found a new marginalised group to play with.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    I see Benteke plays for Liverpool under 21's.

I hope that they didn't pay too much for the Villa reject.
  • Options

AndyJS said:
    Somebody was on here 2-3 days ago saying on a recent trip to Vienna they were told by taxi drivers to watch out.
    Taxi drivers are always saying stuff like that - years ago I was in New Orleans. The cab driver from the airport (ex cop supplementing his pension), the moment he heard that I had a US passport, tried to persuade me to go to his friends gun shop to buy some "protection" for the week... "It's a dangerous town" etc.... I had a vision of turning up for my academic conference with a Barrett Light Fifty under my arm - but politely declined. I will always remember the enthusiasm with which he waved his own pistol around.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,032
    edited January 2016

Floater said:

AndyJS said:

You will note that sympathy for travellers and those of African descent has become muted in recent years among the idiot left. They have found a new marginalised group to play with.
    Another way to view it is that while the right made and sometimes still makes quips about the disco trade and Bongo-Bongo Land, the left won the battle for public acceptance, to the point that Britain is now a better place to be black in than practically any other European country.
    (Though some on the right definitely have it in for black female inner-city politicians, I don't think you would see anything like that on PB comments)
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

Wanderer said:

How are the German SPD "successful"? Their current poll ratings are lower than Labour's.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

Exeter 2 Liverpool 1

Half time
    This is a knock out competition, right? :o
  • Options
    GaiusGaius Posts: 227
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

“Should Donald Trump, the current leader in most statewide and national polling, become the party’s pick, Rove predicted that the Democrats would maintain control of the White House for another four years and would also retake control of the Senate. The GOP’s overall share of seats in the House would also take a tumble, he added.
    “However, if the Republican field is only two or three candidates by the March 15 primaries,” he also wrote, Trump will not be the Republican nominee. “If on the Ides of March someone wins both the winner-take-all primaries in Florida (by congressional district) and Ohio (statewide), that person will be the nominee.”
    http://www.politico.com/story/2016/01/karl-rove-multi-ballot-gop-convention-217454

GOP Panic lol
    Confirms my view the Bush family will vote for Hillary in the privacy of the booth if Trump is the nominee
    !jeb might not.

He's run such a lacklustre campaign, its possible that he neither wants the top job nor the politicking that goes with it and is merely going through the motions because of his family.

• Options
    Gaius said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

GOP Panic lol
    Confirms my view the Bush family will vote for Hillary in the privacy of the booth if Trump is the nominee
    !jeb might not.

He's run such a lacklustre campaign, its possible that he neither wants the top job nor the politicking that goes with it and is merely going through the motions because of his family.

Or he's a chip off the old block. Back in '92 I remember reading that Bush Snr. is supposed to have said, on the last day of the campaign when he was staring down the barrel of defeat, "One good thing: this is the last day I'll ever spend campaigning to be President of the United States."
  • Options
    EPG said:

Floater said:

AndyJS said:

Another way to view it is that while the right made and sometimes still makes quips about the disco trade and Bongo-Bongo Land, the left won the battle for public acceptance, to the point that Britain is now a better place to be black in than practically any other European country.
    (Though some on the right definitely have it in for black female inner-city politicians, I don't think you would see anything like that on PB comments)
    This is a rather good bit of trolling:

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/01/i-hate-to-break-it-to-feminists-but-white-male-privilege-is-a-myth/

Only 20% at my med school are white males, only 10% are white state educated males. I enjoy arguing the case for positive discrimination in favour of white state educated males in my own image at selection meetings. Sometimes they think I am joking.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Wanderer said:

How are the German SPD "successful"? Their current poll ratings are lower than Labour's.
    I was thinking that, but perhaps we are factoring in future performance. Also, the SPD are, kinda, y'know, in office.
  • Options
    Maajid Nawaz, LD candidate for Hampstead at the general election:

"Why We Can’t Stay Silent on Germany’s Mass Sex Assaults
    It took several days for the news of hundreds of sexual assaults in Cologne to make headlines. As progressives dither over what to say, the far right has already seized the opportunity."

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/01/08/why-we-can-t-stay-silent-on-germany-s-mass-sex-assaults.html
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

It took several days for the news of hundreds of sexual assaults in Cologne to make headlines. As progressives dither over what to say, the far right has already seized the opportunity."

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/01/08/why-we-can-t-stay-silent-on-germany-s-mass-sex-assaults.html

Maajid Nawaz would have been a veryvuseful voice in parliament. His twitter is excellent.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Maajid Nawaz would have been a veryvuseful voice in parliament. His twitter is excellent.
    Agreed. There are not many people I'd rather have in Parliament tbh.

Of course the seat was a three-way marginal in 2010 but by 2015, not so much.
  • Options
    2 - 2
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

Gaius said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

GOP Panic lol
    !jeb might not.

Or he's a chip off the old block. Back in '92 I remember reading that Bush Snr. is supposed to have said, on the last day of the campaign when he was staring down the barrel of defeat, "One good thing: this is the last day I'll ever spend campaigning to be President of the United States."
    That would have been the case had he won too. Having been in a few elections of a somewhat lesser nature, the feeling of relief when you've finished is physical. God knows what it must be like for someone running for the biggest elected office in the world.
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    edited January 2016

AndyJS said:

So an excellent Twitter account means he would be useful in having a say in running the country? I think from this episode we can see how useful he would have been.

No wonder you LD's are an endangered species.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @josephharker: Wondered why the BBC has such an establishment/rightwing bias? Read this excellent piece by @SeumasMilne http://t.co/B78WHWwZaa
  • Options

AndyJS said:

So an excellent Twitter account means he would be useful in having a say in running the country? I think from this episode we can see how useful he would have been.

He's a Lib Dem. He wouldn't be anywhere near running the country.
  • Options
    @JournoStephen: Corbyn joins the ranks of demagogues like Salmond and Farage in attacking the BBC in this manner. Expect "joyous" mobs outside NBH next.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Every time I see him on the media / read his articles, they always seem bang on the money on his specialist subject i.e Islamism. And the more extremist element of the LD tried to get his expelled.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    Maajid Nawaz would have been a veryvuseful voice in parliament

Of course whenever Lib Dems say we need to 'speak up' or 'have a debate' on issues like this, what they mean is it is time to tell the little people again that their opinions are wrong.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

I think his contribution to public life through Quilliam, his book, his willingness to stick his head over the parapet at considerable risk to himself are wholly admirable.
  • Options
    @MattChorley: BBC has written back to Seumas Milne https://t.co/XWCXHDqMYV
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Coming on from the subs bench for Liverpool Nomads...

http://c.files.bbci.co.uk/5A25/production/_87577032_liverpoolmanagerjuergenkloppwiththeexetercitymascot_reuters.jpg

Who says the big teams don't take the FA seriously.....Exeter have their first team out at least.
  • Options
    EPG said:

Floater said:

AndyJS said:

"that Britain is now a better place to be black in than practically any other European country."

Try selling that to some members of the black community. Let me know how happy they are with those thoughts.

I remember how angry Labour was when someone pointed out the entire increase in educational achievement for black children they were boasting about had been created by the small (but increased in size) black middle and upper classes sending their children to private schools.

Bit like Dianne Abbot really....
  • Options

AndyJS said:

He's a Lib Dem. He wouldn't be anywhere near running the country.
    Closer than a certain Nigel.
  • Options
    Not been around much today - have we managed to get through a day without any cockups from anyone in the Jezlamic People's Party? Would be something of a record.
  • Options
    @theobertram: Seumas Milne: 'The BBC is full of Conservatives & former New Labour apparatchiks with almost identical views.'
  • Options

Not been around much today - have we managed to get through a day without any cockups from anyone in the Jezlamic People's Party? Would be something of a record.

No
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865

AndyJS said:
    Young Miss Moses said to me tonight that they should tell the men not to go out and have a night curfew placed on them. After all it's them raping and sexually assaulting us.

Can't fault the logic I suppose though the practicalities may be somewhat challenging.

• Options
    Scott_P said:

No
    Still time....
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Moses_ said:

AndyJS said:
    Young Miss Moses said to me tonight that they should tell the men not to go out and have a night curfew placed on them. After all it's them raping and sexually assaulting us.

Can't fault the logic I suppose though the practicalities may be somewhat challenging.

Can you imagine the Guardian articles...I am sure Hitler might get a mention or two...
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@theobertram: Seumas Milne: 'The BBC is full of Conservatives & former New Labour apparatchiks with almost identical views.'

I thought it was full of closet UKIPers? Or was it Unionists.

The closets musty either be vast or very crowded at Broadcasting House. Unless every closet is really a Tardis....
  • Options
    Warning graphics images...

Jihadi gunmen waving black flag of ISIS open fire on European tourists after storming Egyptian hotel at Red Sea resort

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3390894/Gunmen-killed-shooting-European-tourists-Egypt.html
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

AndyJS said:

Naturally I'm not really in favour of curfews on anyone, but it has occurred to me that if men, as a whole, were under a curfew until this problem was fixed, it would get fixed (one way or another) pretty damn fast.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068
    runnymede said:

Maajid Nawaz would have been a veryvuseful voice in parliament

Of course whenever Lib Dems say we need to 'speak up' or 'have a debate' on issues like this, what they mean is it is time to tell the little people again that their opinions are wrong.

I think if you'd read anything Nawaz had written, you might have a different view.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Scott_P said:

Of course they are, anyone who is a scintilla to the right of Seamus Milme is a Tory, Red tory, whatever..

Milne is a really nasty piece of work, and its no surprise that Corbyn hired him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seumas_Milne
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

No
    Ah, just seen about the delightful Mrs Thornberry detailing the exact reasons why she's been appointed Shadow Defence and why Our Glorious Leader was so wise appointing her.

Good grief - simply staggers belief.

Didn't she used to be a barrister? I naively assumed that would require intelligence, guile and tact.
  • Options
    Winston McKenzie going down a storm on CBB!
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

AndyJS said:

But that means blaming the people with a suntan. And it is well known to Guardianistas that you can't blame people with a suntan since they are not actually moral agents*. All they ever do is react to terrible provocations from the US/UK/CIA/M15 etc

*Strangely, Guardianistas accuse people of being racist if you suggest that everyone is their own moral agent regardless of time on the sun lounger.
  • Options
    @BethRigby: #doughtygate: turning into a perfect mash up of In the Thick of It and W1A.
  • Options
    2 - 2 - good game
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Of course they are, anyone who is a scintilla to the right of Seamus Milme is a Tory, Red tory, whatever..

Milne is a really nasty piece of work, and its no surprise that Corbyn hired him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seumas_Milne
    He is. It's like the Conservatives appointing Katie Hopkins to the same job. (He's a much better writer than her but his opinions are equally unpleasant.)
  • Options
    edited January 2016

AndyJS said:

Speaking as a Muslim with real experience of Islamist politics but recovered, I do think that he would be more useful in parliament than either another corbynista or another turnip taliban.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    Wanderer said:

Moses_ said:

AndyJS said:

Naturally I'm not really in favour of curfews on anyone, but it has occurred to me that if men, as a whole, were under a curfew until this problem was fixed, it would get fixed (one way or another) pretty damn fast.
    Of course it would be fixed, as there would be no men about. How would you fix it after the curfew was released? Keeping rapists indoors temporarily isn't the solution.
  • Options
    @ShippersUnbound: Stephen Doughty's full statement on Corbyn's complaint to the BBC: https://t.co/O15ERIOR0z
  • Options
    @BethRigby: Full letter from @daily_politics editor @RobbieGibb to Labour's Seumas Milne https://t.co/iPfpSDb7hU
  • Options
    RobD said:

Wanderer said:

Moses_ said:

AndyJS said:

Of course it would be fixed, as there would be no men about. How would you fix it after the curfew was released? Keeping rapists indoors temporarily isn't the solution.
    Eh? My point was that the male population would be suitably motivated to find a solution.
This discussion has been closed.