Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Trump could take New Hampshire with just 29% because opposi

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,997
    Mr. Owls, you missed it, that was yesterday :p

Today we're discussing whether Ralf Jaeger, interior minister for North Rhine-Westphalia, is right to say that being a racist tosser online is at least as bad as sexual assault.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-35248601
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221

Tory in name only. And I'm a wet Tory member who likes Cameron and voted for Tony.

That I feel he's more interested in Waitrose shoppers and Indy readers is a worry. My world doesn't revolve around green issues. His seems to.

Dixie said:

Dixie said:

I don't like Zac. I think he's a TINO and he's looking for another rich man's play thing. He's like Prince Charles.

He needs to talk to the aspirational voters, not just the soulmate recycling Twickers. What's he going to do to give them a more successful place to live and educate their kids. Take lessons from Boris and Cameron style.

I'm sick of his green hobby horses.

Thank you. I don't know what a TINO is but I will tell him he is one.
    But the second preference of Waitrose shoppers and Indy readers could well determine who is Mayor.... (I'm assuming UKIP voters aren't going for Labour.)
    Max a candidate will get in 1st round will be 40%. 2nd prefs will be crucial.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    BJO Is every kid taking exams a Tory...who'd a thunk it...
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,993

DP Some UK exams to be rescheduled due to Ramadan.

Cue PB Tory meltdown.

Had that yesterday. It's all about Corbyn today - care to contribute?
  • Options
    Dixie:
    Schools: Boast about new academies, UTCs and free schools opening across the city. Khan is against school choice
    Jobs: Boast about rapidly falling unemployment, the new living wage and the opportunities for apprenticeships
    Environment: Boast - It'll be cleaner under Zac
    Housing: Boast about Help to Buy, low interest rates, low council taxes - only a Conservative can deliver
    Taxes: Boast about low taxes. Livingstone put up precept every year - 300% over 8 years (or something like it) - Khan voted every year for higher council tax in Wandsworth
    London at the centre of the global economy: Boast about London's success as the driver of the British economy and its role at the centre of world trade, business and, yes, banking. Boast that whatever happens in the referendum, Zac the Mayor will ensure it stays there.
    Khan is a job destroying tax and spender... just watch the jobs disappear.
  • Options

Miss Plato, TINO?

Tory in name only.

I doubt Plato is the only Tory inclined voter to think that about Zac - as well as the rest of what's he wrote about him.
    I see. A TINO. I will mention it!
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,420

I wouldn't worry about the delegate count early on. What matters are victories and the momentum that comes with them (and conversely, the deadening effect that a lack of victories brings). It's unlikely that there's be more than one serious candidate left long after Super Tuesday but if there are, that's what the winner-take-all states are there for.

Sure, but I think that we might be misled into thinking that Trump's lead (assuming he remains in the lead) is bigger than it appears because of the fragmentation of the establishment vote. Both in terms of transfers of delegates from the early states, and later on as the big winner-takes-all states come into play, the eventual establishment leader might do better than looks likely early on.

Of course this assumes that Trump doesn't win the big winner-takes-all states. Basically the GOP establishment needs to whittle down the field PDQ.
    I'd look at it the other way round. If Trump wins all four early states then he'll be practically unassailable, even if he's only polling around 25-30%. Chances are on that basis he'd also take a majority of Super Tuesday states too. That won't get him near the winning post in delegates but it will give him such massive momentum that he will undoubtedly suck up support from withdrawing candidates. The transfer of votes between professional candidates will be leaky.

And one reason for that is that there aren't many establishment candidates. Trump clearly isn't but Carson and Fiorina aren't politicians either, though one's campaign looks in terminal decline and the other practically dead. Cruz is Tea Party. Rubio is no centrist and his more liberal immigration stance is more to do with local factors than ideological ones. The 'establishment' candidate is Bush, and he's polling about 5% having already been considered and discarded by the electorate once.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,927
    Scott_P said:

Wanderer said:

That piece and Henry G Manson yesterday have got me thinking that Corbyn may not last that long after all. Yes, Labour has no history of ousting leaders but it has also never had a leader so extreme and inept.

Has it ever had a PLP so supine?

David Cameron openly mocking Hilary Benn and others for agreeing to sit in Jezza's shadow cabinet at PMQs, as they tacitly support his entire lunatic agenda.
    The PM and his aides must have had so much fun yesterday morning writing jokes about Corbyn and Labour. PMQs is being played on 'easy' level at the moment.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

Wanderer said:

That piece and Henry G Manson yesterday have got me thinking that Corbyn may not last that long after all. Yes, Labour has no history of ousting leaders but it has also never had a leader so extreme and inept.

Has it ever had a PLP so supine?

David Cameron openly mocking Hilary Benn and others for agreeing to sit in Jezza's shadow cabinet at PMQs, as they tacitly support his entire lunatic agenda.
    The PM and his aides must have had so much fun yesterday morning writing jokes about Corbyn and Labour. PMQs is being played on 'easy' level at the moment.
    Bet his Candy Crush scores are through the roof....
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,289
    Farmers in England could be paid to let land flood.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35246752

• Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    dr_spyn said:

It could well be a very workable plan for some locations. We should be open to all flood management systems
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited January 2016

Mr. Owls, you missed it, that was yesterday :p

Today we're discussing whether Ralf Jaeger, interior minister for North Rhine-Westphalia, is right to say that being a racist tosser online is at least as bad as sexual assault.

I wonder if Ralf Jaeger is prepared to test his theory with for instance, his daughter?
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

On the London mayoral election: don't underestimate Zac. He's a canny campaigner. His 2010 Richmond campaign was very smart and largely below the radar.

Didn`t he grossly ooverspend on his campaign exxpenses? And was then let off, by the establishment?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,353

I wouldn't worry about the delegate count early on. What matters are victories and the momentum that comes with them (and conversely, the deadening effect that a lack of victories brings). It's unlikely that there's be more than one serious candidate left long after Super Tuesday but if there are, that's what the winner-take-all states are there for.

Yes, that's exactly right. After NH we should see a shake-out of the mainstream (Bush, Kasich, Rubio, etc.) candidates. I think Cruz will stay in regardless of NH, but if he doesn't win South Carolina, up next, he could be in trouble - in fact SC may well prove a watershed for Trump too,

• Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited January 2016

One of the key things will be turnout.

2000 - 34%
    2004 - 37%
    2008 - 45%
    2012 - 38%

I'm not sure why 2008 was so much higher than the rest - maybe it was seen as closer.

Looking at 2012, Boris had 972k and Ken 890k in the first round, which shows how much differential turnout helps the Tories. The key is the candidates need to find issues to get their supporters motivated to vote. I'm not seeing much so far as they both agree about Heathrow

Interesting:

Lab 2010 GE: 1.246m votes - 2012 Mayor 890k = 71.5% retention
    Con 2010 GE: 1.175m votes - 2012 Mayor 972k = 82.7% retention

• Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474

dr_spyn said:

French President Francois Hollande has promised 5,000 extra police posts in an "unprecedented" strengthening of French security, a year after the attack on Charlie Hebdo magazine by jihadists.
    Soon after he spoke, Paris police shot and killed a suspect who allegedly tried to break into a police station.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-35250344

I expect to hear JJ on the media exclaiming disgust at the police. They should have asked his gentleman to go for a nice goat's milk latte to discuss his issues.
    Corbyn and McDonnell would probably give him a Shadow Cabinet post, and a hug.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @PolhomeEditor: Ken Livingstone says sacked/resigned shadow ministers are a "disaffected little group uber-Blairites."
  • Options
    GravitationGravitation Posts: 281
    edited January 2016
    Oh look! Livingstone's on the telly again. *switches over to Bargain Hunt*
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited January 2016

... That won't get him near the winning post in delegates but it will give him such massive momentum that he will undoubtedly suck up support from withdrawing candidates. ...

That is the $64K question. The alternative possibility is that he's such a Marmite candidate that whoever emerges as second to him sucks up the support from the drop-outs. The betting conundrum is essentially which of the two scenarios is going to play out.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

2000 - 34%
    2004 - 37%
    2008 - 45%
    2012 - 38%

I'm not sure why 2008 was so much higher than the rest - maybe it was seen as closer.

Looking at 2012, Boris had 972k and Ken 890k in the first round, which shows how much differential turnout helps the Tories. The key is the candidates need to find issues to get their supporters motivated to vote. I'm not seeing much so far as they both agree about Heathrow

Interesting:

If you apply 2015 GE figures at same retention, would would outcome be?

If you look at Assembly Member voting patterns they are closer to GE patterns. IE, Mayor's election is to some extent a vacuum.
  • Options
    PClipp said:

Didn`t he grossly ooverspend on his campaign exxpenses? And was then let off, by the establishment?

You've answered your own question. If he was "let off, by the establishment", then no, he didn't grossly overspend on his campaign expenses.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,965
    edited January 2016
    surbiton said:

I thought the initial Republican primaries would allocate delegates through"proportional" means. So, Trump will get around 30% of the delegates.

Perception ? Maybe. But candidates will let their voters know the rules. So Jeb Bush can hang in there.

Jeb Bush will win the nomination, just err not for himself.
  • Options
    Agence France-Presse ‏@AFP 2m2 minutes ago
    #BREAKING Man shot dead by Paris police was wearing 'fake' suicide vest: sources
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited January 2016
    Dixie said:

chestnut said:

2000 - 34%
    2004 - 37%
    2008 - 45%
    2012 - 38%

Interesting:

If you look at Assembly Member voting patterns they are closer to GE patterns. IE, Mayor's election is to some extent a vacuum.
    Labour 1.105m
    Con 1.019m

A gap of about 90k before UKIP, LD, Green second preferences.

In 2012, the economy was in a pickle and Miliband was doing as well as he ever was at any point in the parliament.

Contrast that to the current economy and Corbyn. General sentiment favours the Tories presently.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,965

Yes, that's exactly right. After NH we should see a shake-out of the mainstream (Bush, Kasich, Rubio, etc.) candidates. I think Cruz will stay in regardless of NH, but if he doesn't win South Carolina, up next, he could be in trouble - in fact SC may well prove a watershed for Trump too,

By watershed you mean he storms it, right ?

He's further ahead there than he is in NH.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    edited January 2016
    Mr Dixie, I don;t know if this has been said, but if there's one thing all Londoners (of whatever political hue) cannot abide it is a good politically motivated tube strike.

If Goldsmith can paint himself as firmly on the side of the commuter and hang the RMT albatross around Khan's neck, that will help him.

It would have more impact if Khan were painted not as Corbyn's puppet, but as Len's.

Londoners hate disruptions to their busy lives.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    He's clocked up more telly time in last 4 months than previous 4yrs.

Oh look! Livingstone's on the telly again. *switches over to Bargain Hunt*

• Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

... That won't get him near the winning post in delegates but it will give him such massive momentum that he will undoubtedly suck up support from withdrawing candidates. ...

That is the $64K question. The alternative possibility is that he's such a Marmite candidate that whoever emerges as second to him sucks up the support from the drop-outs. The betting conundrum is essentially which of the two scenarios is going to play out.
    The other conundrum is which of the Establishment candidates (if any) benefits. Kasich and Christie, for instance, are polling quite well in the state polls considering they can barely be sighted in the nationals.
  • Options
    Say what you like, Khan is a divisive candidate. His plans for affirmative action prove it. Goldmsmith should proclaim he stands for ALL Londoners, and that posts will be doled out on one basis and one basis alone. Merit.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,993
    dr_spyn said:
    LOL the Lib-Dem score: 'This pidgeon is dead!' If they can't revive in these circumstances, they really are finished.
  • Options
    Like a weekend hippy or punk. What's the point of a fake suicide vest bar being shot?
    dr_spyn said:

#BREAKING Man shot dead by Paris police was wearing 'fake' suicide vest: sources

• Options
    chestnut said:

As a point of reference regarding the London Mayoral contest:

London Votes - 2015

Labour 1.545m (43.7%)
    Tory 1.233m (34.9%)
    UKIP 0.287m (8.1%)
    Lib Dems 0.273m (7.7%)
    Green 0.172m (4.9%)

UKIP supporters are highly unlikely to back Khan, which leaves the main two fairly closely matched. It's the LD/Greens who hold the balance.

If they vote 2nd pref they will mostly go Khan (London Greens are IMO generally left-wingers more than they're environmentalists) but for UKIP and Greens it's a mistake to assume that they will all give a second preference: lots of them feel that everyone stinks except their chosen party. LibDems are more used to multiple choices.

But I agree that it will come down to turnout and the impact of the change in registration.

As for McBride, if he wants a fight he can have one, and his gang will lose - he was very dependent on claiming leadership backing (with debatable authority), and the membership will see off any challenge like that. But I don't think that most Labour MPs think it's going to be time to rock any more boats before May.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    dr_spyn said:

Odd – looks like his intentions may have been to take hostages and hyped media exposure. - Wonder if he is still eligible for the promised 72 virgins?

• Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,420
    To re-ask an earlier question, if Trump does gain the nomination, is Rubio a good fit for running mate and does anyone have any idea as to whether either he or Trump would go with it (and if not, who Trump should go for)?
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/dexQhvczVeM

dr_spyn said:
    LOL the Lib-Dem score: 'This pidgeon is dead!' If they can't revive in these circumstances, they really are finished.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    dr_spyn said:

A sensible plan on the face of it. Would be even more sensible to stop the subsidised razing of the hillsides by grouse moors (ludicrous amounts of subsidies spent) and farmers (more understandable so trickier to work out the logistics of) and get some tree cover back up there as well.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,947

CD13 said:

Mr Divvie,

On an information point, the full phrase is "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me."

I believe there is a lot of difference between being angry and writing silly things, and carrying out an act of violence. Otherwise we'd have a jail in every street.

Ralf may think that it's more important to investigate some spotty seventeen-year-old who posts on-line than stop rape and sexual assault taking place in the middle of his city.

Perhaps some of the Rotherham officials had the same opinion. I prefer to think Ralf is trying to muddy the waters and deflect attention from his own inadequacies.

Both are wrong. The actions in Germany are criminal in two ways the harassment and molestation (1) were the shield for organised robbery (2). There is a long history of organised robbery at this place at that time. The German police do seem quite culpable, so perhaps they are happy to see all sorts of blame go elsewhere. As far as I can see there is no official sanction for a so called code of conduct for women, only a crass remark from the Mayor of Cologne, which has been shouted down.
    I am interested by this claim of a "long history" of robbery in this location. I have been to Cologne on a number of occasions, but not for the past 3 years. It never struck me as a dangerous place after dark, never seen large gangs of dodgy people hanging around and none of those yellow signs warning of such.

In comparison, if this had been Las Ramblas in Barcelona, I would agree with the statement. My whole adult life that has been an area where tourists are warned of potential issues after dark.
    Well if I am wrong then the BBC is wrong. It says that similar organised gangs of robbers have been active at this location on new years eve for at least the last 5 years. Its something the police were aware of.
    The Mayor of Cologne, who made the stupid remarks, I now realise is a woman BTW.
    Frankly if you cannot see these very serious issues being used to ferment a witchhunt then you need to look again. These are serious events, very serious, in their own right, there have been similar happenings in Dusseldorf apparently over the last 3 years, but the accusations of thousands of attackers and the implications of multiple rape are not at all clear
    Foment. Fermenting is something altogether different.
    I always thought so, but apparently ferment can also mean stir or incite trouble, if Google is to be believed.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,676
    London voters: "Undecided" = "Won't vote"
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Has Zak signed up Lynton Crosby ?
  • Options
    taffys said:

Mr Dixie, I don;t know if this has been said, but if there's one thing all Londoners (of whatever political hue) cannot abide it is a good politically motivated tube strike.

If Goldsmith can paint himself as firmly on the side of the commuter and hang the RMT albatross around Khan's neck, that will help him.

It would have more impact if Khan were painted not as Corbyn's puppet, but as Len's.

Thank you. Zac is distributing leaflets asking to ban such strikes. I will bring it up with him.
  • Options
    Barry doesn't have a job?!

Sophie Ridge
    The person I feel most sorry for post reshuffle? @BarryGardiner MP... https://t.co/ebC2gshugG
  • Options

London voters: "Undecided" = "Won't vote"

or "wont know they have voted by post"
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,676
    Dixie said:

taffys said:

Thank you. Zac is distributing leaflets asking to ban such strikes. I will bring it up with him.
    Ask him why he supports a totalitarian state where the right to withdraw one's labour would be denied.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Christian May
    Livingstone clearly emboldened by new Shadow Defence team. Says his review will now look at whether UK should leave NATO.

Ken Livingstone on UK leaving NATO: "There will be many people who want to do that. I don't think it's a particularly big issue..."
  • Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897

Dixie said:

taffys said:

Ask him why he supports a totalitarian state where the right to withdraw one's labour would be denied.
    The right isn't withdrawn by the state, it is withdrawn contractually when you sign your employment contract. Except it applies to all such contracts.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,902

Christian May
    Livingstone clearly emboldened by new Shadow Defence team. Says his review will now look at whether UK should leave NATO.

Good grief. I said it was still getting worse.

Perhaps someone needs to tell him that the Warsaw Pact no longer exists.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Dixie said:

chestnut said:

2000 - 34%
    2004 - 37%
    2008 - 45%
    2012 - 38%

Interesting:

Labour 1.105m
    Con 1.019m

A gap of about 90k before UKIP, LD, Green second preferences.

In 2012, the economy was in a pickle and Miliband was doing as well as he ever was at any point in the parliament.

Contrast that to the current economy and Corbyn. General sentiment favours the Tories presently.

That is fascinating. Very helpful, thank you.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/daily_politics/status/685078318723420161?lang=en

How will this go down with states in Central and Eastern Europe. Livingstone is a deluded fool.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    taffys said:

Say what you like, Khan is a divisive candidate. His plans for affirmative action prove it. Goldmsmith should proclaim he stands for ALL Londoners, and that posts will be doled out on one basis and one basis alone. Merit.

Yes, that's why he should champion anonymous/nameless job applications. That way there is no chance of discrimination at least in the initial sorting phase. It would be a good wedge "I stand for everyone in London, not just one minority which thinks it has a bad deal".
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited January 2016
    Latest on Labour's civil war:

Jonathan Reynolds calls Diane Abbott a "sell out " and "hypocrite" for sending her son to a private school:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/12086224/Diane-Abbott-Jonathan-Reynolds-twitter-spat-private-school-hypocrisy-Labour-reshuffle.html
  • Options
    DailySunday Politics ‏@daily_politics 13m13 minutes ago

Does Labour want UK to remain a #NATO member? “That’s one of the things we will look at” in defence review, @ken4london tells @afneil #bbcdp
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137

Christian May

Ken Livingstone on UK leaving NATO: "There will be many people who want to do that. I don't think it's a particularly big issue..."

Where "many" = "those people I talk to in Stop The War...."
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

By watershed you mean he storms it, right ?

He's further ahead there than he is in NH.
    Well, yes - if he storms it as the polls currently suggest (+15), I think he'll have seen off Cruz.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

https://twitter.com/daily_politics/status/685078318723420161?lang=en

How will this go down with states in Central and Eastern Europe. Livingstone is a deluded fool.

And how will it go down with the tens of thousands of Central and Eastern European who live in London and will have a vote in the Mayoral election?
  • Options
    On Koln:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/germany/12086473/Suspects-in-Cologne-sex-attacks-claimed-to-be-Syrian-refugees.html

"But the leaked police report, published in Bild newspaper and Spiegel, a news magazine, claims that one of those involved told officers: “I am Syrian. You have to treat me kindly. Mrs Merkel invited me.”

Another tore up his residence permit before the eyes of police, and told them: “You can’t do anything to me, I can get a new one tomorrow.” "
  • Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897
    So Corbyn now has his wishes in Northern Ireland policy (after forcing out Ivan Lewis) and now Trident.
    Hilary Benn appears to be the only remaining barrier to him enacting his entire ideology on the whole party.
  • Options

I'm against banning too, and I'm a thatcherite tory. Goldsmith needs to conjour up the image to Londoners of constant wildcat strikes by already well off tube drivers, as a powerless Khan, in hock to union barons, says much and does nothing.

''Wanna go to work? No you Khant.''

When it comes to striking tube drivers, there's no doubt which side of the fence Sadiq Khan is on.

Stuff like that
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    Wow, looking at NATO membership now? Labour have really just gone mental. There is no way any party in the UK could advocate NATO withdrawal and not get obliterated in the election. Even the SNP had to knuckle under and accept NATO membership as part of their independence platform.
  • Options
    We should go the whole hog and ask to join a New CCCP, propah Russian.
    MaxPB said:

Wow, looking at NATO membership now? Labour have really just gone mental. There is no way any party in the UK could advocate NATO withdrawal and not get obliterated in the election. Even the SNP had to knuckle under and accept NATO membership as part of their independence platform.

• Options

New Thread New Thread

• Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

PClipp said:

You've answered your own question. If he was "let off, by the establishment", then no, he didn't grossly overspend on his campaign expenses.
    No, I have not, Mr Navabi. It would be hard to find a more "establishment" figure than Goldsmith. Letting him off was a legal fix. He ought to have been disqualified as an MP.
  • Options
    flightpath01flightpath01 Posts: 4,903
    AndyJS said:

Latest on Labour's civil war:

Jonathan Reynolds calls Diane Abbott a "sell out " and "hypocrite" for sending her son to a private school:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/12086224/Diane-Abbott-Jonathan-Reynolds-twitter-spat-private-school-hypocrisy-Labour-reshuffle.html

Thornberry is no different.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,509
    kle4 said:

CD13 said:

Mr Divvie,

On an information point, the full phrase is "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me."

I believe there is a lot of difference between being angry and writing silly things, and carrying out an act of violence. Otherwise we'd have a jail in every street.

Ralf may think that it's more important to investigate some spotty seventeen-year-old who posts on-line than stop rape and sexual assault taking place in the middle of his city.

Perhaps some of the Rotherham officials had the same opinion. I prefer to think Ralf is trying to muddy the waters and deflect attention from his own inadequacies.

Both are wrong. The actions in Germany are criminal in two ways the harassment and molestation (1) were the shield for organised robbery (2). There is a long history of organised robbery at this place at that time. The German police do seem quite culpable, so perhaps they are happy to see all sorts of blame go elsewhere. As far as I can see there is no official sanction for a so called code of conduct for women, only a crass remark from the Mayor of Cologne, which has been shouted down.
    I am interested by this claim of a "long history" of robbery in this location. I have been to Cologne on a number of occasions, but not for the past 3 years. It never struck me as a dangerous place after dark, never seen large gangs of dodgy people hanging around and none of those yellow signs warning of such.

In comparison, if this had been Las Ramblas in Barcelona, I would agree with the statement. My whole adult life that has been an area where tourists are warned of potential issues after dark.
    Well if I am wrong then the BBC is wrong. It says that similar organised gangs of robbers have been active at this location on new years eve for at least the last 5 years. Its something the police were aware of.
    The Mayor of Cologne, who made the stupid remarks, I now realise is a woman BTW.
    Frankly if you cannot see these very serious issues being used to ferment a witchhunt then you need to look again. These are serious events, very serious, in their own right, there have been similar happenings in Dusseldorf apparently over the last 3 years, but the accusations of thousands of attackers and the implications of multiple rape are not at all clear
    I always thought so, but apparently ferment can also mean stir or incite trouble, if Google is to be believed.
    Google isn't to be believed. They're trying to excuse people's ignorance.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

kle4 said:

Google isn't to be believed. They're trying to excuse people's ignorance.
    Oxford English dictionary disagrees with you listing ferment as

To work up into a ferment or agitation; to excite, stir up.
    or
    To exacerbate; to foment, inflame.

Giving examples from the 1600s and 1700s onwards.
This discussion has been closed.