Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Farage’s ratings tumble could impact on who runs the LEAVE

Comments

• Options
    Huzzah I tipped Michael Dugher at 8/1 as first out of the Shadow Cabinet.

Forgot all about it until Shadsy mentioned it.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,989
    Congrats, Mr. Eagles :)
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@philipjcowley: Whereas this just makes the reshuffle sound like Bullseye. https://t.co/Kt38di0Bk8

@skynewsniall: "You've got shadow foreign, d'you want to go for the leadership?" https://t.co/VD45xsgPBe

https://twitter.com/craigaw1969/status/684319762567049216
  • Options

No more sackings please. Dead heat rules will apply.
  • Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897

No more sackings please. Dead heat rules will apply.
    Secretly hoping for Lord Falconer as a spoiler...
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    edited January 2016

Wanderer said:

JohnO said:

The BBC - Harold Wilson David Cameron to announce that UK ministers will be allowed to campaign for either side ahead of the EU referendum

Well, that's the first of my two assumptions fulfilled on why the Tories will not split post referendum.
    David Cameron didn't really have a choice on this. My only surprise is that he's conceded the point this early in the process. It suggests to me that the vote may well be sooner rather than later.
    In terms of time what is the least notice than can be given?

16 weeks. I'm expecting the least notice possible once David Cameron is ready.

One reason why David Cameron may well want to go early is that the Leave camps are squabbling for precedence and this is likely to continue for some time. Going later will give them more time to sort themselves out.
    True. Everything favours going early from Cameron's point of view. I think even June vs September makes a real difference.
    Plenty of people saying the refugee crisis will worsen in the summer, right or wrong plenty will link that with the EU.

It's a massive call for Dave in terms of timing, does Bottler Brown become Dithering Dave?

Yes. I think June lessens the risk from the refugee-crisis angle.

In general @AlastairMeeks 's point is very good though. If your opponent is struggling to get their shit together, why give them more time?
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    edited January 2016
    Dugher's I've been sacked tweet shared over 950x so far. Pathetic petty stuff from Corbyn.

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @OliverCooper: It feels like it's only 5th January, but it's already Monday 9th May 2016 (am).
  • Options
    @steve_hawkes: Tom Watson breaks cover to say Michael Dugher's sacking a big loss to the Shadow Cabinet. The beast stirs !
  • Options
    Mr. P, Watson's the only chap Corbyn cannot get rid of, right?

Short of expulsion from the Party, presumably.
  • Options
    @hopisen: More Corbyn pointless pettiness: seems @MichaelDugher has been sacked for telling Corbyn not to sack the people he has decided not to sack.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    Excellent decision by Dave. No chance of the party splitting after the referendum now, whatever the result.
  • Options
    Was Dugher a Brownite? That's my recollection.
    Scott_P said:

@steve_hawkes: Tom Watson breaks cover to say Michael Dugher's sacking a big loss to the Shadow Cabinet. The beast stirs !

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Interesting to compare Cameron v Corbyn today. Cameron looks magnanimous, allowing his Cabinet colleagues to take a contrarian view to his own on the biggest vote of the coming year. Corbyn? Not so much - sacking those who disagree with him (but only those who wouldn't pose a threat to him on the backbenches...).
  • Options
    @chrisshipitv: So I'm told @MichaelDugher was sacked by phone call. Corbyn told him he didn't appreciated the things Dugher had said

Didn't even have the stones to do it face to face?
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Good morning all.

I hate to say it, but I will: it looks like SA are coming back at UK and may even overtake them by close of play today. That shows how unsound the early declaration by Cook was.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

Turnout is not going to be low. The public think this referendum is important. They may not have understood to their own satisfaction what the important questions are but they expect this to be an irreversible decision of far-reaching importance. They'll turn out to vote for this referendum.

Leave need someone who can reach the undecided. Nigel Farage has never looked like that man. He should be used to rally the base, not to win converts.

The only Heineken politician available is one A B de P Johnson.

This, incidentally, applies to the Tory leadership too.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    MikeK said:

Good morning all.

I hate to say it, but I will: it looks like SA are coming back at UK and may even overtake them by close of play today. That shows how unsound the early declaration by Cook was.

UK?
  • Options
    So is Barry Gardiner now DCMS shadow?
  • Options
    @afneil: Several shadow cab ministers hitting out publicly at firing of @MichaelDugher

@rosschawkins: Tom Watson on @MichaelDugher "Labour's loss in the shadow cabinet will be compensated by Michael's free thought on the backbenches. "
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

I have been saying for a while that Labour is an idea whose time has gone. Now a fair few of you are agreeing, so I want to advance a further proposition: Parliamentary democracy, too, is an idea whose time has gone. Like Labour, it requires the principal source of political cleavage to be economic. And that is no longer so. People obsess about identity issues (as, indeed, they always have in Ireland) whilst power is concentrated in fewer and fewer hands.

Even if one accepts your contention, which I don't, the conclusion doesn't necessarily follow - though you could argue that it would follow that FPTP is an idea whose time has gone and that multiple identity-based politics would of necessity imply PR.

But I don't agree with the original point: representative democracy has overcome any number of social and political changes over the centuries.
    How many centuries have we had representative democracy? Less than one, surely?

At least four. Just because not everyone has a vote, it doesn't mean that the dynamics of democracy are not felt.
  • Options
    Most voters won’t have heard of Michael Dugher. He was a backroom boy for Gordon Brown in Number 10 and before that a special adviser to Geoff Hoon at the Ministry of Defence. Now he has been fired by Jeremy Corbyn from the shadow cabinet, in a move that was widely expected at Westminster but is still jarring now that it has happened. Dugher has voiced concerns about where the far-left leadership is taking Labour and in a tweet today he said simply: “Just been sacked by Jeremy Corbyn. I wished him a happy new year.”

Sacking Dugher will, I suspect, turn out to be one of the most stupid moves made by Corbyn in a long and growing list of stupid moves.
    http://www.capx.co/corbyn-fires-michael-dugher-sows-seeds-of-own-destruction/
  • Options
    Can Jezza keep it up and sack all the New Labour front bench? Howls of the Baskervilles if he does.

Well spotted TSE. How much did you have on Dugher?
  • Options
    Electing Corbyn leader is the worst idea since Crassus invaded Parthia.
  • Options
    Ugly stuff http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-35231046
    The mayor of Cologne has summoned police for crisis talks after about 80 women reported sexual assaults and muggings by men on New Year's Eve.
    The scale of the attacks on women at the city's central train station has shocked Germany. About 1,000 drunk and aggressive young men were involved.
    City police chief Wolfgang Albers called it "a completely new dimension of crime". The men were of Arab or North African appearance, he said.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    Scott_P said:

@afneil: Several shadow cab ministers hitting out publicly at firing of @MichaelDugher

@rosschawkins: Tom Watson on @MichaelDugher "Labour's loss in the shadow cabinet will be compensated by Michael's free thought on the backbenches. "

Mouthing off to the media, does not equal action. Spineless cowards.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,651

So now Ministers can campaign for Leave - which ones will?

From the cabinet, IDS, Grayling, Whittingdale for sure.
    Priti Patel will surely be a Leaver, but then she only "attends cabinet".
  • Options
    Leading a referendum campaign involves a lot of debating and in-depth interviews. Boris is not keen on either. I expect he'll make the odd pronouncement and write a few columns. I'd be very surprised if he spearheaded anything. It's not his style.
  • Options
    Labour Party
    Jeremy wants your questions to put directly to Cameron tomorrow. Got a good one? → https://t.co/GeJePPUU7k #pmqs https://t.co/ufrVP6neFA
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 2016
    I see lefties are losing their minds over the times table test on twitter (try saying that 20 times quickly ;-) )

http://michaelrosenblog.blogspot.com/2016/01/some-can-learn-tables-some-cant.html

"High Stakes" Test - He makes it sounds like if a kid doesn't pass their times test he will be shot or something.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,014

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jan/04/indian-english-phrases-indianisms-english-americanisms-vocabulary?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Following on from last nights discussion of accents and dialect, this is an interesting article on Indian Idioms. I have had many letters asking me to "do the needful".

English is an evolving languge, and an increasingly international one.

I hate the use of "kindly" when what is meant is "please".

And the other one that's creeping into business communication, on a customer/supplier basis, is "please may you...". No. I can or I can't. This is, I know, a hyper-correction from people who've had it drilled into them at school to ask "may I go to the toilet?" but still.
    Surely it should be "will you", can means able to.

I am fairly sure kindly has a longer history than please used on it's own, in any case the subtext of please is that the option is voluntary "if it would please you to..." which is not so much there as kindly "if you would be so kind to..."
  • Options
    flightpath01flightpath01 Posts: 4,903
    Wanderer said:

Wanderer said:

JohnO said:

The BBC - Harold Wilson David Cameron to announce that UK ministers will be allowed to campaign for either side ahead of the EU referendum

Well, that's the first of my two assumptions fulfilled on why the Tories will not split post referendum.
    David Cameron didn't really have a choice on this. My only surprise is that he's conceded the point this early in the process. It suggests to me that the vote may well be sooner rather than later.
    In terms of time what is the least notice than can be given?

16 weeks. I'm expecting the least notice possible once David Cameron is ready.

One reason why David Cameron may well want to go early is that the Leave camps are squabbling for precedence and this is likely to continue for some time. Going later will give them more time to sort themselves out.
    True. Everything favours going early from Cameron's point of view. I think even June vs September makes a real difference.
    Plenty of people saying the refugee crisis will worsen in the summer, right or wrong plenty will link that with the EU.

It's a massive call for Dave in terms of timing, does Bottler Brown become Dithering Dave?

Yes. I think June lessens the risk from the refugee-crisis angle.

In general @AlastairMeeks 's point is very good though. If your opponent is struggling to get their shit together, why give them more time?
    There needs to be something to vote on. Again that may encourage the EU not to drag it out either.
    Believe it not not I want there to be something worthwhile to vote on. This referendum was inevitable since the creation of the Euro, it needs to be worthwhile. This was the gist of Cameron's speech back in 2013 I believe.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Corbyn has done it again. Made himself look even weaker and more ridiculous than he was before. It is a magnificent achievement that really deserves wider recognition.

I mean, I can sort of understand why he thought it less than optimal to have his shadow foreign secretary completely disagreeing with him on the floor of the HoC and getting applause from the Tories. But to then find, after you have started and briefed the media that you are going to do something about it, that you simply cannot form a shadow cabinet unless you leave him in place is truly spectacular.

What I cannot get is why anyone vaguely serious wants to be in his shadow cabinet at all. Its just embarrassing. The PLP needs to set up alternative spokesmen and an alternative whipping operation so that the loyal opposition have a position on anything important. Ed's fatal mistake was to keep a blank sheet of paper for too long but at least he didn't write contradictory things on it in crayon.

Corbyn, Does. Not. Care.

His only interest is the wider Labour party and controlling it. For that reason, some of those who want to stop him believe that it helps him if they are seen to walk away. Much better, they believe, is to force him to fire them. I can see the logic. But what it tells us is that just about everyone in Labour has given up on seriously seeking power for the next decade at least.

I agree that Corbyn does not care and seems totally lacking in self awareness. What I find astonishing is that there are so few in the Party that do seem to care. Where are the latter day Gaitskell's willing to "fight, fight and fight again for the party" they love?

If they do not exist Labour may not just have written off the next election or the one after that. This could become an extinction event.
    I think that, given the grip Corbyn has on the current membership, they have concluded that the only way forward is to give him enough rope to hang himself several times over. Plotting a coup early on will only enrage the members and he will survive. Whilst I agree that extinction is a a possibility it is also unlikely.

Once the hard left have been given a couple of years to demonstrate how totally clueless they are the membership will be ready to ditch them. Many like me will vote Tory in the meantime and go back if things change.

There is a chance that the hard left grip on the party becomes so strong that it will never choose an electable leader again but the survival instinct is strong. The Tories spent a number of years electing no-hoper leaders before they opted for a liberal Tory in order to win again. Labour will probably do the same - a Dan Jarvis v Osborne battle would result in a very different set of polling figures I suspect.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Good for Zac. Don't have a lot of time for him - but on this he is spot on
  • Options
    A quote from the late Denis Healey in 1959 that is particularly relevant today. https://t.co/jtsl1dLJIJ
  • Options
    edited January 2016

The men were of Arab or North African appearance, he said.

Muuuuuuslll..."Arab or North African"...

Rotherham..."Asian"....

• Options
    MaxPB said:

Excellent decision by Dave. No chance of the party splitting after the referendum now, whatever the result.

Agreed it would be absolutely bloody pointless to have a referendum to end this issue then have a stink because it wasn't deemed 'fair'. Unlike the Scots let this matter be over one way or another after the vote.
  • Options
    @camillalong: Just help me for a sec: the ONE capable, solid person everyone told and begged Jeremy Corbyn NOT to sack, Jeremy Corbyn has now sacked?
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Good morning all.

Rubbish. SA may be playing well, England badly or the pitch doing nothing (or any permutation of those) but a declaration at 600+ is in no way early
  • Options

Electing Corbyn leader is the worst idea since Crassus invaded Parthia.

At the least Crassus got some booty. ;)
  • Options
    @hopisen: Why sacking @MichaelDugher dumb even for Corbyn-
    1. Displacement sacking
    2. Obvious pop at Watson
    3. Swaps his irrelevant job for open enemy
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    They cant be Muslim..they were drunk
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@cathynewman: It's suggested @MichaelDugher is the only sacking. #nightoftheshortknives

So how do you pronounce Dugher? Is it Dooga, Dooer, or Duffer?
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

MikeK said:

Good morning all.

UK?
    Sorry: England.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Leading a referendum campaign involves a lot of debating and in-depth interviews. Boris is not keen on either. I expect he'll make the odd pronouncement and write a few columns. I'd be very surprised if he spearheaded anything. It's not his style.

In an era of beige politicians, the most prominent outer is Farage -- unless Boris steps into the ring as he has a far larger media profile. He does not need to be the official leader, just make the odd pronouncement. See Trump, D, for examples.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,651

Good for Zac. Don't have a lot of time for him - but on this he is spot on
    Zac gave an interview on Today in which he didn't promote a single policy or anything he would do for London. Mind, he kept getting asked about Heathrow and the Referendum, so it wasn't all his fault. Neither candidate did a great interview yesterday or today. I'm waiting for Galloway's turn.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

1. Displacement sacking
    2. Obvious pop at Watson

You forgot, JJ is a man of principal....as in principally an idiot...
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

1. Displacement sacking
    2. Obvious pop at Watson

Agreed but Corbyn had little choice.
    This should be seen as a declaration of war against the Brownites. Ironic as the Brownites backing of EdMiliband led to Corbyn's election through the multi member voting.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Wanderer said:

MikeK said:

Good morning all.

UK?
    Sorry: England.
    And Wales...
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

Sandpit said:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jan/04/indian-english-phrases-indianisms-english-americanisms-vocabulary?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Following on from last nights discussion of accents and dialect, this is an interesting article on Indian Idioms. I have had many letters asking me to "do the needful".

Very good! Anyone who's lived among diverse yet English-speaking communities will notice various phrases that come into use from the different cultures. In Arab countries if you need something done today, then "today itself" is the phrase to use, as "today" appears to mean a period of time somewhere in the future. "Today insh'allah" means not today, not tomorrow and probably not next week either!
    "Insh' allah" is a very useful phrase, and its implications are very useful when discussing different treatment options. The phrase carries the clear implication that things may not work out as planned.

"You will get a date shortly for the procedure, Insh' allah!"

There is also the implication that you have no control over whether it happens or not. A recognition that we are just cogs in a bigger system.

In Yemen, there were two versions of IBM:

Insha'a allah bukra mumkin (God willing tomorrow maybe)
    Insha'a allah bukra ma'alaash (God willing tomorrow, oh well!/who cares?)
  • Options
    Yikes indeed, Stabbing not his brother in the front
  • Options
    Yup.
    Scott_P said:

1. Displacement sacking
    2. Obvious pop at Watson

• Options

Scott_P said:

@cathynewman: It's suggested @MichaelDugher is the only sacking. #nightoftheshortknives

So how do you pronounce Dugher? Is it Dooga, Dooer, or Duffer?
    Doooogerr
  • Options
    It is rather bizarre seeing Dugher being held up as this great politician who is an enormous loss to the Shadow Cabinet.

When his reputation prior to September was as an attack dog for Brown and Miliband. A rather less effective McBride.

If he really is one of the best of the Labour MPs, it is no wonder they are in such a gaping hole.
  • Options

In an era of beige politicians, the most prominent outer is Farage -- unless Boris steps into the ring as he has a far larger media profile. He does not need to be the official leader, just make the odd pronouncement. See Trump, D, for examples.
    Are you talking about Corbyn's jacket? Otherwise you are talking rubbish.
  • Options

I agree with that. My beef is with people such as NickP who believe that a hard-leftist such as Jeremy Corbyn is the solution and see him as an innocent naïf intent on only doing good and promoting discussion when he has spent 30 years hanging out with apologists for terrorism and has surrounded himself since becoming leader with anti-Western advisers who actively campaigned against Labour in the not-too-distant past.

The starting point on the radical left on foreign policy has always been a scepticism about the splendours of the Western alliance and a willingness to give a sympathetic hearing to Third World people with a grievance - it goes right back to people like Nehru and Nkrumah and the elusive and ultimately unsuccessful search for a credible global third way. It doesn't mean they necessarily agree with them, and Corbyn has said repeatedly that he disagrees with Hamas and Hezbollah. (In some cases it extended to sympathy for Soviet communism, which isn't one of the things that Corbyn has ever nourished.)

You've consistently seen this as entirely beyond the pale and it seems to be the touchstone for you, much more than say the anti-austerity policies. I don't (and I see the Western alliance historically as necessary in e.g. Korea but not a consistent force for good), and see your preoccupation with this aspect as a bit obsessive, though I do see that it produces a history with contacts that are awkward if you suddenly become party leader. Perhaps that, more than naivete, is the area where we differ?

If you can produce a few Corbyn speeches that focus on the disagreements he has with terrorist sympathisers it would be helpful. I'd also like to see his repudiations of Stop the War's rhetoric around ISIS being like the International Brigades, as well as its calls for Iraqis to kill British soldiers. Ditto for Ken, John and Dianne, and the other members of the hard left Jezza has chosen to surround himself with since he became leader. In calling you naïve, Nick, I hope you understand I am giving you the benefit of the doubt.

• Options
    @ShippersUnbound: Number of shad cab members who publicly say sacking Dugher was a bad idea: (so Far) 5. Number who publicly agree: 0

@Kevin_Maguire: Unsurprised Dugher backed by his Labour colleagues. Sacked Shad Cab Min is shrewd, able, popular Northern street fighter. Corbyn will regret
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,350

Interesting to compare Cameron v Corbyn today. Cameron looks magnanimous, allowing his Cabinet colleagues to take a contrarian view to his own on the biggest vote of the coming year.

As evidenced by Cameron's decision to impose a 3-line whip on whether we should take part in the war in Syria?

Unfortunately, you can argue that free votes are becoming a reflection of weakness - a lot of people think that Corbyn conceded his because the party was so divided, and Cameron is conceding one on Europe because the party is so divided on that. Personally I reckon that free votes are appropriate in both cases, and anything else which represents an important shift of Britain's international position.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,626
    Has Jezza done something? Wow.

And there was me thinking he was spending yesterday with a pack of cards preparing for a game of solitaire.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Sandpit said:

Very good! Anyone who's lived among diverse yet English-speaking communities will notice various phrases that come into use from the different cultures. In Arab countries if you need something done today, then "today itself" is the phrase to use, as "today" appears to mean a period of time somewhere in the future. "Today insh'allah" means not today, not tomorrow and probably not next week either!
    "Insh' allah" is a very useful phrase, and its implications are very useful when discussing different treatment options. The phrase carries the clear implication that things may not work out as planned.

"You will get a date shortly for the procedure, Insh' allah!"

There is also the implication that you have no control over whether it happens or not. A recognition that we are just cogs in a bigger system.

In Yemen, there were two versions of IBM:

Insha'a allah bukra mumkin (God willing tomorrow maybe)
    Insha'a allah bukra ma'alaash (God willing tomorrow, oh well!/who cares?)
    As we used to say, deus vult.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,914
    Good call by Cameron. Defuses any party management problems early, whist at the same time making it clear to the EU negotiators that there will be a real fight on both sides rather than a formality of a referendum with all the big beasts on the Remain side. Now we will see who will lead the Leave campaign as those in favour of leaving will start to make themselves known.

Stupid call by me for backing England and laying the draw, then watching the draw come in past 1/10 and doing nothing about it - to the point of being out of cash and unable to hedge. First match in about a year I will be losing money, what's the rule about not betting on stuff where you have an emotional involvement in the result? Idiot!
  • Options

MikeK said:

Good morning all.

Rubbish. SA may be playing well, England badly or the pitch doing nothing (or any permutation of those) but a declaration at 600+ is in no way early
    It's a matter of psychology. If Cook had declared at teatime - just 20± minutes ahead - England would have been refreshed, bowled better as the days heat was beginning to wane, and probably got a couple of early wickets.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@Kevin_Maguire: Unsurprised Dugher backed by his Labour colleagues. Sacked Shad Cab Min is shrewd, able, popular Northern street fighter. Corbyn will regret

I will translate that for you "the man fights dirty".

• Options

I see lefties are losing their minds over the times table test on twitter (try saying that 20 times quickly ;-) )

http://michaelrosenblog.blogspot.com/2016/01/some-can-learn-tables-some-cant.html

"High Stakes" Test - He makes it sounds like if a kid doesn't pass their times test he will be shot or something.

All my kids did their times tables at primary school. Where are they not being taught currently?

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited January 2016
    MikeK said:

MikeK said:

Good morning all.

It's a matter of psychology. If Cook had declared at teatime - just 20± minutes ahead - England would have been refreshed, bowled better as the days heat was beginning to wane, and probably got a couple of early wickets.
    England should have got 700 before declaring IMO. Psychologically it seems a lot more than six hundred and something. It's not that special to reach 600 but getting 700 is a very rare occurrence.
  • Options
    @ShippersUnbound: Text from MP: "Labour: just a bunch of cults..."
    *types very carefully*
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    So, Dugher, the right honourable member for Oop North, has been usurped by Barry Gardiner, another member of the London North Party.

Gardiner - Brent
    Corbyn - Islington
    Abbott - Hackney
    McDonnell - Hayes

Must be space for Thornberry (Islington) and Osamor (Edmonton).

Policy to focus on railways (London Tube prices) and Housing (London rent prices) and appeasing all those terrorists in the middle east ( that's NE London Walthamstow and SE London Lewisham in their video enterprises out in Syria).
  • Options
    edited January 2016

All my kids did their times tables at primary school. Where are they not being taught currently?

I believe all the blobist lefties are getting their knickers in a twist that kids will be tested on this, and that it is totally unfair because some kids can't learn them and its too much pressure and they are irrelevant and and and and and...
  • Options
    @glenoglaza1: Michael Dugher gone ? That's a mistake for a start #LabourReshuffle
  • Options

Labour Party
    Jeremy wants your questions to put directly to Cameron tomorrow. Got a good one? → https://t.co/GeJePPUU7k #pmqs https://t.co/ufrVP6neFA

Can't he think up any of his own?
    Polite 2 liners back from Cameron should speed up PMQs no and and please the Speaker.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

I agree with that. My beef is with people such as NickP who believe that a hard-leftist such as Jeremy Corbyn is the solution and see him as an innocent naïf intent on only doing good and promoting discussion when he has spent 30 years hanging out with apologists for terrorism and has surrounded himself since becoming leader with anti-Western advisers who actively campaigned against Labour in the not-too-distant past.

The starting point on the radical left on foreign policy has always been a scepticism about the splendours of the Western alliance and a willingness to give a sympathetic hearing to Third World people with a grievance - it goes right back to people like Nehru and Nkrumah and the elusive and ultimately unsuccessful search for a credible global third way. It doesn't mean they necessarily agree with them, and Corbyn has said repeatedly that he disagrees with Hamas and Hezbollah. (In some cases it extended to sympathy for Soviet communism, which isn't one of the things that Corbyn has ever nourished.)

You've consistently seen this as entirely beyond the pale and it seems to be the touchstone for you, much more than say the anti-austerity policies. I don't (and I see the Western alliance historically as necessary in e.g. Korea but not a consistent force for good), and see your preoccupation with this aspect as a bit obsessive, though I do see that it produces a history with contacts that are awkward if you suddenly become party leader. Perhaps that, more than naivete, is the area where we differ?

If you can produce a few Corbyn speeches that focus on the disagreements he has with terrorist sympathisers it would be helpful. I'd also like to see his repudiations of Stop the War's rhetoric around ISIS being like the International Brigades, as well as its calls for Iraqis to kill British soldiers. Ditto for Ken, John and Dianne, and the other members of the hard left Jezza has chosen to surround himself with since he became leader. In calling you naïve, Nick, I hope you understand I am giving you the benefit of the doubt.

Absolutely. NP has never been able to really articulate how it is acceptable for the Leader of the Labour Party to be a known supporter of terrorist groups like the IRA. That is probably because he knows he can't - and so will try to spin his way round the issue.

As far as I am concerned, NP is a voice that can no longer be trusted on any topic. I have no truck with apologists of that sort. At all.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

MikeK said:

Good morning all.

England have dropped too many catches. That is the problem. As is the lack of a decent spinner. If we could find one of those we'd be on the way to having a very good team.

• Options

I will translate that for you "the man fights dirty".

Gentlemen, we must prepare for flooding!

More storms on the way?

No, Dugher is outside the tent...
  • Options
    Depressingly comic and accurate
    chestnut said:

So, Dugher, the right honourable member for Oop North, has been usurped by Barry Gardiner, another member of the London North Party.

Gardiner - Brent
    Corbyn - Islington
    Abbott - Hackney
    McDonnell - Hayes

Policy to focus on railways (London Tube prices) and Housing (London rent prices) and appeasing all those terrorists in the middle east ( that's NE London Walthamstow and SE London Lewisham in their video enterprises out in Syria).

• Options

MikeK said:

MikeK said:

Good morning all.

England have dropped too many catches. That is the problem. As is the lack of a decent spinner. If we could find one of those we'd be on the way to having a very good team.

In an ideal world we would also have a rip snorting fast bowler and / or a left armer. But their aint many of the former about these days.
  • Options

I believe all the blobist lefties are getting their knickers in a twist that kids will be tested on this, and that it is totally unfair because some kids can't learn them and its too much pressure and they are irrelevant and and and and and...

They're tested on it currently. It's almost as if the government has created a canard designed solely to wind certain people up and some on the left have fallen for it hook, line and sinker.

• Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    So with Cameron's announcement, is it fair to conclude that No 10 has decided that the Shadow Cabinet reshuffle is going to be a damp squib that doesn't need another newscycle?

And if so, is it right?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,935
    One sacking ?!

Is that it.

Seriously, what a damp squib of a reshuffle.
  • Options

MikeK said:

MikeK said:

Good morning all.

In an ideal world we would also have a rip snorting fast bowler and / or a left armer. But their aint many of the former about these days.
    In Tests, Moeen Ali has a better strike rate than Graeme Swann (56.9 v 60.1), and we consider Swann our finest spinner in the last 40 years.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited January 2016
    On topic, obviously they'd be best with someone with broader appeal than Farage. The hitch is that they also need an experienced politician who can work under pressure and obfuscate while making it sound like plain talking. Farage can be a bit hit-and-miss but he's talented and generally effective.

Their best hope is an ambitious second-tier Tory, and they'll probably get one, but the problem is that because the said ambitious Tory will have got elected on a platform supporting Cameron's "renegotiation", they'll have to wait until the outcome of that has been finalized before they can declare themselves shocked and disappointed and announce that they'll be supporting Out. Cameron can keep this going pretty close to the referendum, which makes it a bit late to make the switch, especially if Farage is unwilling to be bumped.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,481

Entirely unjustified sanctimony, given that other party's leaders are and have been heavily involved with repressive regimes and exporters of terror, and have given de facto material assistance to terrorists in the Middle East. Jezza's terrorists are just not 'our' terrorists. It's more of a novelty than a disgrace.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

They're tested on it currently. It's almost as if the government has created a canard designed solely to wind certain people up and some on the left have fallen for it hook, line and sinker.

That was my point. The left blobists have totally lost any sense of reality. They scream outrage at absolutely any change, however minor. My twitter feed has totally blow up with the outrage over this. The reaction is as if the government has suggested that kids should be excluded from education.
  • Options

Depressingly comic and accurate

chestnut said:

Gardiner - Brent
    Corbyn - Islington
    Abbott - Hackney
    McDonnell - Hayes

Although not I would bet for Creasey (Walthamstow) or Streeting (Ilford)!
  • Options

MikeK said:

MikeK said:

Good morning all.

In Tests, Moeen Ali has a better strike rate than Graeme Swann (56.9 v 60.1), and we consider Swann our finest spinner in the last 40 years.

Swann won England a lot of matches. Ali does not have the ability to do that. That's the difference.

• Options
    edited January 2016

MikeK said:

MikeK said:

Good morning all.

Lets see those figures again at the end of his career. Swann was the best spinner in the world for 2-3 years. Ali does have a bit of a magic arm, but he isn't anywhere near the best spinner and lets see if he can improve as people see more and more of him.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

One sacking ?!

Is that it.

Seriously, what a damp squib of a reshuffle.

Absolutely brilliant by Jez, I won't criticise him, on a totally unrelated note.

https://twitter.com/TSEofPB/status/684321160931225600
  • Options

MikeK said:

MikeK said:

Good morning all.

Swann won England a lot of matches. Ali does not have the ability to do that. That's the difference.

Yes he did, to think we kept on playing Ashley Giles when Graeme Swann was available.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

MikeK said:

MikeK said:

Good morning all.

You are wrong my dear old thing - Moeen's test strike rate is 61.18.

Moeen has 1 5 fer in 21 tests

Swanny had 17 (!) in 60 tests.

Like comparing a Lada with a BMW.

• Options
    Ooh err

Ross Hawkins
    Emily Thornberry and Sadiq Khan head towards Corbyn's office
  • Options

Interesting to compare Cameron v Corbyn today. Cameron looks magnanimous, allowing his Cabinet colleagues to take a contrarian view to his own on the biggest vote of the coming year.

As evidenced by Cameron's decision to impose a 3-line whip on whether we should take part in the war in Syria?

So government policy should not come with a 3 line whip? Cameron was generous even bringing the issue to parliament. We managed to declare war on Germany twice without a vote.
    Just wondering - Did we (Atlee) send troops to Korea following a vote in parliament ?
  • Options

Ooh err

Ross Hawkins

That is one of the most unlikely threesomes in history.

And why would Khan be involved? Unless he is about to get sacked as Mayoral candidate...
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,914

I agree with that. My beef is with people such as NickP who believe that a hard-leftist such as Jeremy Corbyn is the solution and see him as an innocent naïf intent on only doing good and promoting discussion when he has spentd himself since becoming leader with anti-Western advisers who actively campaigned against Labour in the not-too-distant past.

Entirely unjustified sanctimony, given that other party's leaders are and have been heavily involved with repressive regimes and exporters of terror, and have given de facto material assistance to terrorists in the Middle East. Jezza's terrorists are just not 'our' terrorists. It's more of a novelty than a disgrace.
    There is a huge difference between eg. the realpolitik of not upsetting the Saudis too much when they export oil to us and import military assistance from us, and being an active supporter of those who seek to kill us and change our way of life in the UK. For the clearest recent example of that, see Mr Livingstone's disgusting comments about the London bombers who "gave their lives".
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

and they are irrelevant and and and and and...

That's the bit that gets me, I expect people on the left to moan about testing, but I've heard apparently well-meaning people on the radio say that knowing the times table is not that important a skill.

• Options
    TGOHF said:

MikeK said:

MikeK said:

Good morning all.

According to ESPN

Ali 56.9 http://www.espncricinfo.com/england/content/player/8917.html

Swann 60.1 http://www.espncricinfo.com/england/content/player/20431.html

Doesn't include the current test

PS Moeen Ali is a batsman who bowls a bit, whereas Swanny was an out and out spinner
  • Options

Yep, Jeremy's terrorists want to kill us.

• Options
    @DPJHodges: Dugher sacked. Eagle reportedly sacked from defence. Falconer sacked. We'll now see that show of solidarity from their colleagues...
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

TGOHF said:

MikeK said:

MikeK said:

Good morning all.

According to ESPN

Ali 56.9 http://www.espncricinfo.com/england/content/player/8917.html

Swann 60.1 http://www.espncricinfo.com/england/content/player/20431.html

Doesn't include the current test

PS Moeen Ali is a batsman who bowls a bit, whereas Swanny was an out and out spinner
    http://www.espncricinfo.com/south-africa-v-england-2015-16/content/player/8917.html

Has live stats at the bottom.

If Moeen is a batsman why does he average just 26 ?
  • Options

Ooh err

Ross Hawkins

Corbyn does seem to be doing his very best to piss off the entire Labour party outside London. If you believe that he has to go, that's no bad thing.

This discussion has been closed.