Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Farage’s ratings tumble could impact on who runs the LEAVE

12346»

Comments

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    Wanderer said:

Btw, the Return of Ed story went quiet didn’t it?

He's probably sitting by his phone wondering what happened.
  • Options

Seamus Milne must be in line for a performance bonus given how well he is handling the media over this reshuffle. Imagine 4-6 weeks of a GE campaign with him in charge....

He's certainly getting a lot of coverage for Labour.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    MaxPB said:

We're only in day 2. Plenty more to come...

@GraemeDemianyk: Since some in the Shadow Cabinet have had no contact with the leader, much less a chat, could we get a day three? Tantric #reshuffle
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Isn't it Barry Gardiner?
    alex. said:

The big question - does Corbyn have a replacement lined up for Dugher?

• Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    A thought re the cricket. Should SA declare now?

At the least, it asks Cook how aggressive he wants to be. It also raises the possibility of bowling England out, should they try to score quick runs, or - more likely - generate a declaration some time before lunch tomorrow setting SA 300ish in something over two sessions on what's still a good pitch. The risk, of course, is that they then get bowled out but on the evidence so far, they really shouldn't.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Given how little has actually happened, we've got to 6 pages of piss taking plus another 400 comments last night!
    Scott_P said:

MaxPB said:

We're only in day 2. Plenty more to come...

@GraemeDemianyk: Since some in the Shadow Cabinet have had no contact with the leader, much less a chat, could we get a day three? Tantric #reshuffle
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946

1. Corbyn became aligned with his terrorist acquaintances out of choice, not perceived necessity.
    2. Where Britain has been involved with dodgy regimes and/or individuals, it's usually been to advance the British interest. Corbyn's involvement has consistently been to undermine the British interest or values.

If you can't see the difference then it's because you're not looking but believe me: the general public can.

Nonsense. Most of our foreign misadventures recently have been in the cause of US dominance, and we have most certainly not been rewarded for being a loyal helper. Talk of 'The West' obscures the fact that our interests and those of the US are often divergent. Our foreign policy doctrine in the 19th century was always to achieve balance of powers: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balance_of_power_(international_relations) This is the British interest, not the dominance of a single nation.
    You are talking ignorant rubbish. Our biggest foreign policy success in the 20th century was winning the second world war alongside America, not achieving some sort of equality between the USA Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union.
    Our balance of power only related to Europe and our main aim was to keep german hands of the channel coast.
    Bringing America out of isolationism was a great triumph,
    That depends on how you define success. Personally I'd define it as not joining World War 1 and therefore avoiding World War 2 altogether, avoiding the senseless deaths of millions and continuing to be a steadying influence on world affairs, rather than handing the baton to a rapacious insular superstate and a communist dictatorship. But whatever floats your boat.
    I'm as much a fan of the counter factual as others, but had we kept out of WW1 (which would have been a good idea), we'd still have had to take on Germany at some point if aiming to maintain the balance of power.

The great lesson to be learned from counter factuals is that the best examples often lead to very similar results - forces of history are generally greater than single events.

• Options
    Jeremy Corbyn is the enemy of forward planning of PB threads.
  • Options
    Out of curiosity how many times have BBC journalists/presenters mispronounced Tristram Hunt's name?

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2016/01/05/bbc-newsreader-mispronounces-jeremy-hunts-name-during-radio-broadcast_n_8915962.html?1452000051
  • Options
    flightpath01flightpath01 Posts: 4,903

On numerical matters, 2016 is the first year since 2000 to be the product of only single-digit prime factors.

You see - ? This is where the study of numbers and their beauty is so important, because I haven't a clue what you are talking about.
    2016 = 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 3 x 3 x 7
    Genuine question - why is that of any interest whatsoever?

It reminds me of the "new" elements they have created the odd atom of which we heard about yesterday - just WHY??

And I have a doctorate in chemistry....
    I think the first few synthetic elements were a bit of a "wow" moment - it was the fulfillment of a good centuries work.

In terms of the newer ones - they're almost like stamp collecting. Although it is impressive that they can do enough chemistry on those odd atoms to confirm the discoveries. If a 'stable island' is found, then that would be spectacular news.
    Yeah, 118 was supposed to be stabler wasn't it? Apparently (hat tip Wikipedia) it's ~ 1 millisecond half life is "longer than predicted" (!!)

Which brings me back to WHY...
    You just answered your own question :/

It is surely important because they do exist even if only for an instant. They exist because the nature of the our very existence allows them to exist. The very nature of our existence is surely important issue to consider along with the nature of what we exist within.
    Always assuming we exist at all.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

On the other hand, you can't complain that he leaves you short of material.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

At the least, it asks Cook how aggressive he wants to be. It also raises the possibility of bowling England out, should they try to score quick runs, or - more likely - generate a declaration some time before lunch tomorrow setting SA 300ish in something over two sessions on what's still a good pitch. The risk, of course, is that they then get bowled out but on the evidence so far, they really shouldn't.

It's a good thought. I'd expect a conservative declaration from Cook though. He's up in the series and doesn't really need to give SA a sniff.
  • Options
    @jreedmp: Finished the reshuffle?
    "No! Ha! We'll show the MSM who's boss. In our own time!"
    Ok. Who's taking the statements?
    "The what?"
  • Options

On the other hand, you can't complain that he leaves you short of material.
    Well he does make life interesting, can't fault him for that. 4 and a half more years please.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721

Wanderer said:

1. Corbyn became aligned with his terrorist acquaintances out of choice, not perceived necessity.
    2. Where Britain has been involved with dodgy regimes and/or individuals, it's usually been to advance the British interest. Corbyn's involvement has consistently been to undermine the British interest or values.

If you can't see the difference then it's because you're not looking but believe me: the general public can.

Nonsense. Most of our foreign misadventures recently have been in the cause of US dominance, and we have most certainly not been rewarded for being a loyal helper. Talk of 'The West' obscures the fact that our interests and those of the US are often divergent. Our foreign policy doctrine in the 19th century was always to achieve balance of powers: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balance_of_power_(international_relations) This is the British interest, not the dominance of a single nation.
    You are talking ignorant rubbish. Our biggest foreign policy success in the 20th century was winning the second world war alongside America, not achieving some sort of equality between the USA Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union.
    Our balance of power only related to Europe and our main aim was to keep german hands of the channel coast.
    That depends on how you define success. Personally I'd define it as not joining World War 1 and therefore avoiding World War 2 altogether, avoiding the senseless deaths of millions and continuing to be a steadying influence on world affairs, rather than handing the baton to a rapacious insular superstate and a communist dictatorship. But whatever floats your boat.
    Our not joining WW1 is the most seductive of all counterfactuals but it's so huge that it's idle to speculate as to how it would have turned out. German victory, almost certainly, but then....
    I believe The Kaiser had plans to attack and recolonise the USA. I think he'd have struggled, but it would have been an interesting attempt.

Here's another interesting 'what if'. The US apparently really did have a plan for war with the UK in the late 1920s/ early 1930s.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Plan_Red
  • Options

Out of curiosity how many times have BBC journalists/presenters mispronounced Tristram Hunt's name?

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2016/01/05/bbc-newsreader-mispronounces-jeremy-hunts-name-during-radio-broadcast_n_8915962.html?1452000051

Funny that isn't it...Seems to happen on a rather regular basis...but only in relation to Jez not Tristam.
  • Options
    @bbclaurak: Blimey.. a whisper that Benn might be sacked after all, source tells me they thought they'd avoided a shad cabinet walk out, might not be so
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    This "reshuffle" was trailed as seeking to have the Shadow Cabinet speaking with one voice on foreign policy and defence issues, the difference on which were apparently undermining the "unprecedented unity on domestic and economic policy". But seriously, beyond general sloganizing about "opposing cuts/austerity" and a half-baked policy on renationalisation of the railways, does anyone know what Labour "domestic and economic policies" are?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@bbclaurak: Blimey.. a whisper that Benn might be sacked after all, source tells me they thought they'd avoided a shad cabinet walk out, might not be so

You just can't make this s##t up.
  • Options

Wanderer said:

Our not joining WW1 is the most seductive of all counterfactuals but it's so huge that it's idle to speculate as to how it would have turned out. German victory, almost certainly, but then....
    I believe The Kaiser had plans to attack and recolonise the USA. I think he'd have struggled, but it would have been an interesting attempt.

Here's another interesting 'what if'. The US apparently really did have a plan for war with the UK in the late 1920s/ early 1930s.
    They still do.
  • Options

On numerical matters, 2016 is the first year since 2000 to be the product of only single-digit prime factors.

You see - ? This is where the study of numbers and their beauty is so important, because I haven't a clue what you are talking about.
    2016 = 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 3 x 3 x 7
    Genuine question - why is that of any interest whatsoever?

It reminds me of the "new" elements they have created the odd atom of which we heard about yesterday - just WHY??

And I have a doctorate in chemistry....
    I think it's rather beautiful. That it's a triangle number as well just adds to the beauty.
    Oh well, OK. I am disarmed by your simple honest answer :-)

Many things have a beauty that casual observers do not see. That's as true for mathematics as it is for manhole covers. ;)
    Having given it a lot of Deep Thought, I think it was the 'prime' factors bit that threw me.

http://familygeeks.com/2012/04/beauty-in-numbers/
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

It's a good thought. I'd expect a conservative declaration from Cook though. He's up in the series and doesn't really need to give SA a sniff.
    I don't think South Africa's bowlers would appreciate their captain voluntarily giving them another 4 sessions in the field.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

You just can't make this s##t up.
    He's going to be sacked because they reckon there won't be a walkout, or there's going to be a walkout anyway so they might as well sack him anyway?
  • Options
    @RupertMyers: This reshuffle is all just happening in Corbyn's mind palace https://t.co/6p75Jtfjyn
  • Options

Wanderer said:

You are even madder than the Kaiser
  • Options
    Was Dugher actually on record attacking Corbyn, or just the briefings emanating from those around him?
  • Options
    @youngvulgarian: Do we think that the reshuffle will last longer than Britney's 55-hour marriage to Jason Alexander?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,360
    from the various tweets/reaction, etc it's almost as though all the others (or "cowards" as we call them) are waiting for/willing Dugher to up and form a breakaway Lab group.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

from the various tweets/reaction, etc it's almost as though all the others (or "cowards" as we call them) are waiting for/willing Dugher to up and form a breakaway Lab group.

ShadCab in exile? Move to Poland?
  • Options
    Is Dame Winterton still in post? Can you do a reshuffle until you've finalised the position of Chief Whip?
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    alex. said:

Wanderer said:

I don't think South Africa's bowlers would appreciate their captain voluntarily giving them another 4 sessions in the field.
    lol. There is that.
  • Options
    All journos now being briefed that Benn is a goner. Kite flying?
  • Options
    In these terrible times for Labour, think of the poor minions, even their boozer is being closed down...

http://order-order.com/2016/01/05/last-orders-at-labours-local/

Bloody Tory cuts or something like that...
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

All journos now being briefed that Benn is a goner. Kite flying?

Let us hope it is true.

• Options
    It's hardly any wonder that UK productivity is sluggish...
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Sounds like Corbyn is creating his own opposition..
  • Options

Wanderer said:

I'm a regular on Alternate History forums and I've never seen reference to that - although if someone did try to put it forward, it'd immediately be filed under ASB.

I don't think even Hitler had a plan to occupy the US: that's why he was trying to build ICBMs.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

ShadCab in exile? Move to Poland?
    Canada - that was my suggestion days ago
  • Options
    I'm swearing so much right now.

CIneworld cinemas aren't showing The Hateful Eight.
  • Options

I don't believe you are missing that much.
  • Options
    Would it be possible for Watson to join a breakaway Labour group and still be Deputy Leader
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Funny that isn't it...Seems to happen on a rather regular basis...but only in relation to Jez not Tristam.
    It's onomatopoeic with Jez

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

It's not his finest work. Not in the same league as Django.

• Options
    Sacking Dugher has created a leader of the rebellion opposition on their own benches.

Incredibly stupid.

• Options
    One shadow cabinet source also argues that ‘we do not look particularly strong at the moment, but Corbyn doesn’t look strong either, given it doesn’t look like he’s going as far as he threatened’. They know that they are basically trapped: they want to serve their party and keep it in reasonable shape for the post-Corbyn era, whenever that comes, and they fear that their mass resignations would not usher in that post-Corbyn era any quicker. But they also don’t want to appear to be prolonging the Corbyn era any longer than necessary. And so it looks as though most frontbenchers will just plod along after this reshuffle in much the same miserable way as they did before.
    http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/01/corbyns-opponents-reduced-to-hashtag-mourning-as-reshuffle-continues/
  • Options

Never, Quentin Tarantino is my hero.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

One shadow cabinet source also argues that ‘we do not look particularly strong at the moment, but Corbyn doesn’t look strong either, given it doesn’t look like he’s going as far as he threatened’. They know that they are basically trapped: they want to serve their party and keep it in reasonable shape for the post-Corbyn era, whenever that comes, and they fear that their mass resignations would not usher in that post-Corbyn era any quicker. But they also don’t want to appear to be prolonging the Corbyn era any longer than necessary. And so it looks as though most frontbenchers will just plod along after this reshuffle in much the same miserable way as they did before.
    http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/01/corbyns-opponents-reduced-to-hashtag-mourning-as-reshuffle-continues/

i.e. We are going to do f##k all and pray that Corbyn eventually goes, because that tactic worked so well with Brown and Miliband.
  • Options

Nothing could ever top Django.

Well I still maintain his crappest work is still more entertaining the best of most other directors
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Never, Quentin Tarantino is my hero.

His movies, yes. His TV persona....not so much.
  • Options
    JBriskinJBriskin Posts: 2,380
    The stand in shadsy had remain at evens on his board on #bbcdp - and I was like so going to tell you about it (think it might have been an in-joke for those with calculators)

https://sports.ladbrokes.com/en-gb/betting/politics/british/eu-referendum/uk-european-referendum/220800266/
  • Options
    Why is the Hateful Eight not being shown..
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946

Would it be possible for Watson to join a breakaway Labour group and still be Deputy Leader

Surely, unless he left the party - deputy leader is elected by the membership.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,482

Wanderer said:

A plan 'to initiate war' no less. Doesn't surprise me in the slightest. The US has always been against Britain. That's the bottom line; the rest is just window dressing.
  • Options

Sacking Dugher has created a leader of the rebellion opposition on their own benches.

Incredibly stupid.

Isn't he a bit junior for that? There's probably a dozen ex-ministers / ex-SC from pre-2015 who could fill that role better should they so choose.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited January 2016
    I have just learned that Jezza was in Saville Row @ lunchtime and ordered two suits of armour.
    https://twitter.com/SophyRidgeSky/status/684370614874943489
  • Options
    Given how long it took Corbyn to corral his Cabinet originally, it can hardly be a surprise that reshuffling it is proving, er, tricky....

I'm SO looking forward to the diaries for this period of Labour's history.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,935

o_O It's not even out in the UK yet, have you two popped into a cinema in the USA to see it or some such ;P ?
  • Options
    New Thread New Thread
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

o_O It's not even out in the UK yet, have you two popped into a cinema in the USA to see it or some such ;P ?
    BAFTA screeners. The wife is a voting member, so she gets everything on DVD sent by courier.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

Incredibly stupid.

Isn't he a bit junior for that? There's probably a dozen ex-ministers / ex-SC from pre-2015 who could fill that role better should they so choose.
    That depends on who has the guts and the bottle. From what we all know of the Labour front bench and other worthies, none of them have.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    edited January 2016
    Scott_P said:

That's the first good news I have heard today. If some in the shadow cabinet walks out, the answer should be : "Good riddance". There are 220 MPs willing to fill their places.

Somehow, given their ambitions, there will hardly be any resignations.

Who do these guys think they are ? Run a parallel policy to that of the leader.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,360

Well I still maintain his crappest work is still more entertaining the best of most other directors
    His Kill Bill homage to chop socky films didn't get that genre quite right, and therefore the films were off themselves.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

His Kill Bill homage to chop socky films didn't get that genre quite right, and therefore the films were off themselves.
    Plus the whole thing was 3 hours too long.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

That's the first good news I have heard today. If some in the shadow cabinet walks out, the answer should be : "Good riddance". There are 220 MPs willing to fill their places.

No there aren't. If there were, half the current SC wouldn't be there.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474

Why is the Hateful Eight not being shown..

70 mm
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

220 MPs willing to fill their places? – What nonsense is this, Corbyn struggled to fill the shadow cabinet just three months ago and is even less popular now than he was then.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

The numbers quirk I liked was:

121 (11 x 11)

1331 (11 x 11 x 11)

14641 (11 x 11 x 11 x 11)

The first four lines of Pascal's triangle. But it runs out there. I'm not aware of any practical use for this, mind.

That is, or rather was, glorious thing about Number Theory, beyond party tricks and helping accountants it had no value in the real world whatsoever. One did it for the fun of thing it, nothing else - not like calculus, complex numbers and all that grubby stuff beloved by engineers. As Hardy, who spent his whole adult life engaged in Number Theory (when he wasn't watching or playing cricket), said in his lovely book, A Mathematician's Apology (still in print and well worth a read):

"I have never done anything 'useful'. No discovery of mine has made, or is likely to make, directly or indirectly, for good or ill, the least difference to the amenity of the world."

Then someone went and invented the internet and suddenly all that stuff that Hardy (and many others) had discovered suddenly became useful, even essential, for modern day commerce. I rather think that the old boy is spinning in his grave
  • Options

Try Odeon
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

The numbers quirk I liked was:

121 (11 x 11)

1331 (11 x 11 x 11)

14641 (11 x 11 x 11 x 11)

The first four lines of Pascal's triangle. But it runs out there. I'm not aware of any practical use for this, mind.

That is, or rather was, glorious thing about Number Theory, beyond party tricks and helping accountants it had no value in the real world whatsoever. One did it for the fun of thing it, nothing else - not like calculus, complex numbers and all that grubby stuff beloved by engineers. As Hardy, who spent his whole adult life engaged in Number Theory (when he wasn't watching or playing cricket), said in his lovely book, A Mathematician's Apology (still in print and well worth a read):

"I have never done anything 'useful'. No discovery of mine has made, or is likely to make, directly or indirectly, for good or ill, the least difference to the amenity of the world."

Then someone went and invented the internet and suddenly all that stuff that Hardy (and many others) had discovered suddenly became useful, even essential, for modern day commerce. I rather think that the old boy is spinning in his grave
    Wasn't it all rather useful in cryptography sometime before Al Gore invented the interthingysomething?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,983
    surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

I thought it was a free vote ;)
This discussion has been closed.