Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Taking the 66 to 1 on Michael Fallon as next Tory Leader

Comments

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,995

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

@JournoStephen: I feel sorry for Sturgeon. The very day she insists her supporters aren't a brainwashed cult they launch a boycott of unpatriotic teacakes.

Loser posting crap from loser, those darned SNP, very popular and doing it deliberately , will the Tory and Labour donkeys ever get it
    55 > 45.
    Yes that was a real victory for the unionists, labour join the Tories as Lepers, the clock is ticking.
    Absolutely the clock is ticking on the SNP. Politics follows a natural pendulum, just as one day the Tories will lose control of Westminster, one day the SNP won't control Holyrood - and when that day comes then Scotland will still be a part of the United Kingdom thanks to that 55%.
    dream on
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

@JournoStephen: I feel sorry for Sturgeon. The very day she insists her supporters aren't a brainwashed cult they launch a boycott of unpatriotic teacakes.

Loser posting crap from loser, those darned SNP, very popular and doing it deliberately , will the Tory and Labour donkeys ever get it
    55 > 45.
    Yes that was a real victory for the unionists
    Indeed it was. Settled for a generation, and as the Nats have no power to call a second referendum they just have to find other ways to show that they are bad losers.

Which, to be fair, they're doing very well.

Ignorance is no excuse for petulence
    So what is your excuse then?
    you really are a dullard, I suspect you would be better employed with crayons and a colouring book.
    So you have no excuse; you're just naturally petulant.

Fair enough.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

Strange how those who will have no power, influence or say on whether there will be another referendum keeps insisting that there won't be one.

Nicola was talking about another one only today.

Dud you miss the memo?
    Your obsession is quite scary, strange how unionists spend their lives talking about the SNP, nothing to offer for their parties donkeys. I never hear anything from you on the Tories , very odd or maybe not.
    Funny how often you talk about the Tories I suppose?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited January 2016
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

55 > 45.
    Yes that was a real victory for the unionists, labour join the Tories as Lepers, the clock is ticking.
    Absolutely the clock is ticking on the SNP. Politics follows a natural pendulum, just as one day the Tories will lose control of Westminster, one day the SNP won't control Holyrood - and when that day comes then Scotland will still be a part of the United Kingdom thanks to that 55%.
    dream on
    You think the SNP will be in governance forever?

Dream on with that. No party ever holds political office forever. You are being hubristic if that is what you believe - I would not be so hubristic as to suggest the Tories will be in office forever.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@PolhomeEditor: Are Snowballs and Caramel Wafers on the banned list as well? It's hard to keep up. #tunnockgate

St. Andrews University has a Tunnock's Caramel Wafer Appreciation Society, founded in 1982.[9]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunnock's
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

Strange how those who will have no power, influence or say on whether there will be another referendum keeps insisting that there won't be one.

Dud you miss the memo?
    Your obsession is quite scary, strange how unionists spend their lives talking about the SNP, nothing to offer for their parties donkeys. I never hear anything from you on the Tories , very odd or maybe not.
    Only because they are in power in England and use it to abuse Scotland. They are irrelevant as anything relating to Scotland yet rule our lives. As seen by teh cretins on here that support them , their NASTY label is well deserved.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

55 > 45.
    dream on

Dream on with that. No party ever holds political office forever. You are being hubristic if that is what you believe - I would not be so hubristic as to suggest the Tories will be in office forever.
    Be a while yet for sure and by that time we will be independent
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    malcolmg said:

...while insisting there will be no second referendum...

Oh, wait...
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

malcolmg said:

Oh, wait...
    Nothing surer than there will be a second one
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    notme...maybe you should talk to some out of work Italians.. and there are a lot in this area..they think the EU work programmes are crap..because they have no work.. and therefore ,.no workers rights
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946
    edited January 2016

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

55 > 45.
    Indeed it was. Settled for a generation, and as the Nats have no power to call a second referendum they just have to find other ways to show that they are bad losers.

Actually, it's not strange at all.
    Those who will have no power, influence or say on whether there will be another referendum: the Scottish Parliament.
    That's at the very least debatable. It wasn't Dave & the Yoons who wanted the 2014 referendum.

You having no power, influence or say in the matter is otoh not debatable.
    Keep debating it if it makes you happy - you, the SNP or the Scottish government still won't have the power to call another referendum.

• Options
    malcolmg said:

When you lose that one will you finally shut up?
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

55 > 45.
    Does that make Scotland a leper colony?
    Politically we have many , they are called unionists.
    So the answer's "yes"
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

Dud you miss the memo?
    Only because they are in power in England and use it to abuse Scotland. They are irrelevant as anything relating to Scotland yet rule our lives. As seen by teh cretins on here that support them , their NASTY label is well deserved.
    Well, it seems to me that the Tories form the government of the United Kingdom, which extends to Scotland because Scots want it to. However the amount that this actually affects the everyday lives of Scots is minimal.

I understand this is difficult for you to understand.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

55 > 45.

Those who will have no power, influence or say on whether there will be another referendum: the Scottish Parliament.
    That's at the very least debatable. It wasn't Dave & the Yoons who wanted the 2014 referendum.

Keep debating it if it makes you happy - you, the SNP or the Scottish government still won't have the power to call another referendum.

Bell end has spoken
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,756
    Scott_P said:

Oh FFS will they ever grow up ?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

malcolmg said:

Oh, wait...
    How? The SNP can't call one and the government won't, because it will hold to its word in the Edinburgh agreement that the referendum was final.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

55 > 45.

It was Dave who permitted the 2014 "once in a generation" referendum in the 2012 Edinburgh Agreement.
    It was courageous of him in the face of all the sage advice from those PB sharp minds telling him he shouldn't give in to the vile Nats.
  • Options
    Mr TSE.

Can we have a really short new post, please?

Perhaps consisting of the 'once in a generation quote'

And the definition of generation.
  • Options

The SNP can't call one

One day they will figure that out...
  • Options
    @Daily_Record: Can @NicolaSturgeon confirm whether Tunnock's ditching the lion is an #indyref2trigger https://t.co/TzAFgb5syg
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

malcolmg said:

Oh, wait...
    How? The SNP can't call one and the government won't, because it will hold to its word in the Edinburgh agreement that the referendum was final.
    Yeah we heard that for years yet we had one.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

55 > 45.
    Like most of the non Scottish Brits of my acquaintance, my heart says "keep the union", my head says "get rid, get rid". If you really want independence you should be pushing for the rest of the UK to have a vote. I don't think PRers are typical of sentiment on this issue but Mr G, you just have a way about you.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

malcolmg said:

Oh, wait...
    ....called by the British government.

They're ever so kind to Scotland - heaven knows why you're so bitter about it.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Alan, surprised you are down with the frothers and fruitcakes, both the author and Scott are not the full shilling
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

55 > 45.
    dream on

Why? You were going to become independent two years ago by your own reckoning weren't you?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

yet we had one.

It wasn't immediately preceded by a "once in a generation" vote

Someday you will understand...
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    HYUFD said:

John_M said:

surbiton said:

viewcode said:

JohnO said:

OK, I am going to put my reputation (as this site's longest serving local Tory activist with over 40 years in the poor bloody infantry) on the line and politely but firmly inform you all that the party will NOT suffer any serious internal divisions following the refendum, assuming:

1. Collective ministerial responsibility is suspended during the campaign (Dave will have taken leave of his senses were he to insist otherwise) and

2. The margin of victory for remain is comfortable, say a minimum of 10% or so.

There simply is no appetite among us rank and file for self-immolation and I am confident that applies to the vast majority of MPs as well.

This will mean that the EU will not be a defining issue for the leadership election in 2019/20.

I agree. The Labour party was riven in the 70's on membership of the Common Market, yet within six months after the referendum it was a non-issue.
    The result then was 67 - 33. Are you saying the "Leave"'s will just accept it if the result was 51 - 49. Really ? What kind of Euro-sceptics are these people then ?
    I'm firmly in the 'Leave' camp. But if my fellow citizens vote to remain, however narrow the margin, what am I supposed to do? Declare UDI in the Welsh marches?

I shall console myself by watching the EU shenanigans if we do vote to remain. As others have repeatedly pointed out, remain does not equate to the status quo. The EZ will integrate (it has to) and drag us along with it, like it or not.
    We are outside the Eurozone now and will remain outside the Eurozone regardless of the result, the British people may just about accept EU membership they will certainly not accept the Euro. There are other nations outside the Euro but inside the EU too, Sweden, Denmark, Poland, Hungary and the Czech Republic for example so we are not alone
    I'm not saying we'll be press-ganged into the Euro. I am saying that the needs of the EZ will be paramount, and their direction of travel is further integration. They'll be able to outvote the UK + assorted minnows. Our influence, already slight, will become slighter.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

55 > 45.

you really are a dullard, I suspect you would be better employed with crayons and a colouring book.
    Mr G you really should go easy on the nursery school analogies, it gives you away a bit.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

55 > 45.
    dream on

Why? You were going to become independent two years ago by your own reckoning weren't you?
    Yes, but London managed to scare the greedy pensioners, it will not be same next time. Under 55's are massively for independence , only a matter of time.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

Alan, surprised you are down with the frothers and fruitcakes, both the author and Scott are not the full shilling
    I mean teacakes malc ? It's hardly founding a nation is it

The Nats should trying a bit of bridgebuilding for a change.

Start at the Firth of Forth.

• Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

55 > 45.

As may be. The Scottish Parliament (through its executive) has agreed that it doesn't have the power to call a referendum and that the last referendum reflects the indisputable will of the Scottish people.

Paddypower is giving 4/5 on a referendum before 2025. On the basis of your conviction that there won't be another one and your deep knowledge of Scottish & UK politics, you'll be offering considerably better than that?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

malcolmg said:

Oh, wait...
    Graciously granted by the Parliament of the United Kingdom.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

55 > 45.

Mr G you really should go easy on the nursery school analogies, it gives you away a bit.
    I wish
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mr TSE.

Salmond went further than that, he said it was a once in a lifetime opportunity. Needless to say he's changed his mind following his historic defeat.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

55 > 45.
    dream on

Yes, but London managed to scare the greedy pensioners, it will not be same next time. Under 55's are massively for independence , only a matter of time.
    Until they grow up...
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,287

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

They already have:

http://www.forth-bridges.co.uk/queensferry-crossing.html
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

Alan , it is choc a block with bridges, these east coasters are just too used to getting it easy. We hav eto swim the crossings on the west coast. The teacakes are crap anyway, and old Tunnock is half daft by the sounds of it.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mr TSE.

Salmond went further than that, he said it was a once in a lifetime opportunity. Needless to say he's changed his mind following his historic defeat.
    You sure it was not two or three lifetimes Monica
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

Alan , it is choc a block with bridges, these east coasters are just too used to getting it easy. We hav eto swim the crossings on the west coast. The teacakes are crap anyway, and old Tunnock is half daft by the sounds of it.
    Funny how Eck always managed to get him self photoed with rich men of dubious sanity.

How is the Donald these days ?
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

55 > 45.

As may be. The Scottish Parliament (through its executive) has agreed that it doesn't have the power to call a referendum and that the last referendum reflects the indisputable will of the Scottish people.

Paddypower is giving 4/5 on a referendum before 2025. On the basis of your conviction that there won't be another one and your deep knowledge of Scottish & UK politics, you'll be offering considerably better than that?
    I don't bet at odds on. I'm not going to let you use me in an arb. And I don't like people using "offers" of "bets" as an attempt to shortcut a discussion.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

They already have:

Ah yes the steel not made in Scotland bridge. Looks like they'll need it for when the other one goes.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

Funny how Eck always managed to get him self photoed with rich men of dubious sanity.

He seems to be doing very well at present , and spending lots of cash in Scotland.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

He seems to be doing very well at present , and spending lots of cash in Scotland.
    Mostly with lawyers.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

JohnO said:

OK, I am going to put my reputation (as this site's longest serving local Tory activist with over 40 years in the poor bloody infantry) on the line and politely but firmly inform you all that the party will NOT suffer any serious internal divisions following the refendum, assuming:

1. Collective ministerial responsibility is suspended during the campaign (Dave will have taken leave of his senses were he to insist otherwise) and

2. The margin of victory for remain is comfortable, say a minimum of 10% or so.

There simply is no appetite among us rank and file for self-immolation and I am confident that applies to the vast majority of MPs as well.

This will mean that the EU will not be a defining issue for the leadership election in 2019/20.

Seconded. On your assumptions, the idea that the party will engage in civil war after the referendum - which will have settled the matter for a generation - is barmy. Almost as silly is the idea that, after the referendum, the candidates' exact positioning on Europe will matter much if it's a vote to Remain.

If it's a vote to Leave, it would be very different, because in that case the most urgent task for the next PM will be negotiating the terms of our departure. That could only really be done by someone who is identified with the Leave campaign.
    Absolute tosh ! I cannot for one nano second believe that Hannan types in the Tory party [ and many in here ] will accept a 51 - 49 result for REMAIN as binding forever. They will find some other cause [ like a new EU directive ] to clamour for another referendum. Only a better than 60 - 40 result will ensure that nothing the loonies do will make any impact.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

55 > 45.

I don't bet at odds on. I'm not going to let you use me in an arb. And I don't like people using "offers" of "bets" as an attempt to shortcut a discussion.
    Off behind the sofa where you belong windbag , wobbling like a jelly. Really sure of your windbaggery for certain.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

Mostly with lawyers.
    He is employing plenty for sure
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    And still they come

ITV
    Child becomes first #migrantcrisis casualty of 2016, Greek coastguard says https://t.co/QUx1utCWvK https://t.co/dojk6Tbhxc
  • Options

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

They already have:

Ah yes the steel not made in Scotland bridge. Looks like they'll need it for when the other one goes.
    As you well know Alan, due to the Tories we have no steel industry in Scotland or the UK, they prefer their Chinese chums to be making it for us.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

Mostly with lawyers.
    Which presumably means the FM is having to do the same. Real value for the taxpayer.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    edited January 2016
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

55 > 45.
    dream on

Actually only 25-39 year olds voted Yes, 51% of 16 to 24s voted No and 53% of 40-59 year olds
    http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/13181487.Full_indyref_survey_reveals_young_voters_voted_No_and_only_25_39_age_group_said_Yes/
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

They already have:

As you well know Alan, due to the Tories we have no steel industry in Scotland or the UK, they prefer their Chinese chums to be making it for us.
    The Tories have no pandas; only China;s chums get them.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

Mostly with lawyers.
    Which presumably means the FM is having to do the same. Real value for the taxpayer.
    It is in the supreme court so you are paying for it
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

55 > 45.
    dream on

Ah this age-old trite nonsense.

You do realise that in 20 years time today's 45 year olds will be 65 and vote accordingly.
  • Options

And still they come

ITV
    Child becomes first #migrantcrisis casualty of 2016, Greek coastguard says https://t.co/QUx1utCWvK https://t.co/dojk6Tbhxc

Migration has gone on for 150,000 years. You do know that you are a descendant of Africans, don't you ?

I know it maybe difficult for you to accept that.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

Mostly with lawyers.
    Well that's cheered me up no end, paying for yet another of Ecks screw ups.
  • Options
    London Zoo has three http://www.giantpandazoo.com/LondonZoo.html

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

They already have:

• Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

55 > 45.
    dream on

You do realise that in 20 years time today's 45 year olds will be 65 and vote accordingly.
    it will be over long before 20 years pass, and current 45 year olds will not have anywhere near the same amount of forelock tuggers
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    surbiton said:

And still they come

ITV

Migration has gone on for 150,000 years. You do know that you are a descendant of Africans, don't you ?

Yeah, but there wasn't a nice welfare state waiting for migrants until relatively recently.
  • Options

London Zoo has three http://www.giantpandazoo.com/LondonZoo.html

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

They already have:

had.

past tense.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

55 > 45.
    dream on

Today's 45 year olds voted No
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

Mostly with lawyers.
    Sdaly I must depart the , scallopine di pollo con erbe is nearly ready and wine needs to be poured.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

55 > 45.
    dream on

it will be over long before 20 years pass, and current 45 year olds will not have anywhere near the same amount of forelock tuggers
    You are right there will be more pensioners next time not less.
  • Options
    flightpath01flightpath01 Posts: 4,903
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

Dud you miss the memo?
    Thus speaks Mr 'bell end'.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

55 > 45.

And again.

A 'discussion'?!
    Pompous ball and bat.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

And still they come

ITV

And your point is?

I'd like to think the world has developed a bit in 150,000 years. There was, relatively, very little immigration into Europe before failed states were allowed to exist in Africa and the ME.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,287
    An amusing discussion that came to mind watching this thread. The lovely Victoria Coren Mitchell's remark at the end is especially apt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFdt8sB8PzA
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

Mostly with lawyers.
    Sdaly I must depart the , scallopine di pollo con erbe is nearly ready and wine needs to be poured.
    Scallopina
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

Mostly with lawyers.

buon appetito
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

Mostly with lawyers.
    Is that the new name for Chicken Kiev?
  • Options
    @TelePolitics: Poland ready to offer David Cameron EU welfare deal in exchange for Nato bases https://t.co/MhwqELL1Jr
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Not much love at UKIP:

@DouglasCarswell This is the most extraordinary and distasteful thing for the head of Communications at Leave.Eu to tweet

@andywigmore Douglas Carswell???? He's pretty cross at the moment #justsaying
  • Options

Not much love at UKIP:

@DouglasCarswell This is the most extraordinary and distasteful thing for the head of Communications at Leave.Eu to tweet

Carswell is a bit thin skinned - I doubt anyone would think that he was being serious.
  • Options
    You have to laugh...

@PickardJE: The Lib Dems have put out a press release that begins: "Nobody takes the Tories seriously...."
  • Options
    Jim Pickard
    The Lib Dems have put out a press release that begins: "Nobody takes the Tories seriously...."
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

An amusing discussion that came to mind watching this thread. The lovely Victoria Coren Mitchell's remark at the end is especially apt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFdt8sB8PzA

What a total and utter cock...and to think Tony used to give him the keys to the country when he was off on his many many holidays.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

You have to laugh...

@PickardJE: The Lib Dems have put out a press release that begins: "Nobody takes the Tories seriously...."

Scottish Tories?
  • Options

Not much love at UKIP:

What was tweeted?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 2016

Not much love at UKIP:

What was tweeted?
    It stems from some tw@t has set up this poll...

https://twitter.com/scottishbking/status/683635618551848961
  • Options

Not much love at UKIP:

What was tweeted?
    Someone asked "who would want to assassinate Nigel Farage?"

I think that it was quite a good response.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,786
    First off, Happy New Year

Re Fallon: If you're tempted by this bet then the 250s on BF that he'll be next pm would seem to be quite attractive. I can't see past the more obvious contenders. I certainly wouldn't lay Fallon at anything like the betfair price though.

The choice of next Tory leader will be entirely shaped by the EU debate. I'd hazard that it's either Boris, or an unknown.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 2016
    Sensing potential greatness in the then 13-year-old, a mystery benefactor agreed to fund private coaching through the winter to iron out flaws in his batting and bowling.

More than a decade later however, with the coaching now handsomely paid off, the identity of the benefactor last night (SUN) remained a mystery, with Stokes’ first coach in England vowing never to reveal the secret.

Jon Gibson, who still teaches youngsters at Cockermouth Cricket Club in Cumbria, said the identity was known only to him, his wife and the benefactor.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/12079288/Mystery-benefactor-who-helped-rise-of-cricket-hero-Ben-Stokes.html

Bloody foreigners coming over here taking our places in the cricket team...
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,828

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

55 > 45.

It was Dave who permitted the 2014 "once in a generation" referendum in the 2012 Edinburgh Agreement.
    He did indeed. He met his opponents, gave them what they wanted, sat back and watched them lose, as the Libs and SNP can testify.
  • Options
    @ScottyNational: News:FM unveils election targets
    20% increase in blaming Labour
    15% increase in photo-ops
    33% increase in saying 'Westminster' & 'Austerity'
  • Options
    In Denmark the confection is known as a flødebolle (cream bun) and was formerly known as a negerbolle (negro bun) or negerkys (negro kiss). In the 1960s through 1980s the term negro was phased out by all major producers, as it is considered racist.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chocolate-coated_marshmallow_treats
  • Options

In Denmark the confection is known as a flødebolle (cream bun) and was formerly known as a negerbolle (negro bun) or negerkys (negro kiss). In the 1960s through 1980s the term negro was phased out by all major producers, as it is considered racist.

It's political correctness gone mad!
  • Options
    Not sure if Nigel4England is about but Chelsea are into 15/2 to finish top 4. I find this to be extraordinarily short given that Chelsea are 13 points and 10 places off fourth spot.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    tlg86 said:

It's political correctness gone mad!
    It is really, yes. Even in the USA which today has become a bastion of touchiness and Social Justice Warrioring the description Negro was on the official Census form until 2014.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Inevitable really.....mind you it is Mr Cable. It's probably the only way out for some in the PLP unless they form Labour centre.

"Lib Dems should work with Labour MPs opposed to Jeremy Corbyn to create 'effective opposition', says Vince Cable
    Former Liberal Dem Business Secretary claims the UK risked becoming a 'one-party state' with Mr Corbyn leading Labour"

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/lib-dems-should-work-with-labour-mps-opposed-to-jeremy-corbyn-to-create-effective-opposition-says-a6794946.html
  • Options
    We have had "the dog eat my homework", then "somebody hacked my twitter", now it is "the Tatler Tory faked the photos of my affair"....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3382380/MP-pictured-embracing-young-researcher-says-photo-faked-henchman-suspended-Tatler-Tory.html
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,983
    Scott_P said:

@TelePolitics: Poland ready to offer David Cameron EU welfare deal in exchange for Nato bases https://t.co/MhwqELL1Jr

Really. Surely no-one believes that the limited things Dave asked for have not already been agreed by everyone. Every minor disagreement is just show...
  • Options
    @BBCBreaking: Saudi Arabia says it is breaking off diplomatic ties with Iran, amid row over Saudi execution of Shia cleric https://t.co/wNkTR3uiiQ
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    Scott_P said:

@BBCBreaking: Saudi Arabia says it is breaking off diplomatic ties with Iran, amid row over Saudi execution of Shia cleric https://t.co/wNkTR3uiiQ

It will get a little worse before it gets better though this move was expected, the Iranians dispatched a plane hours ago.

For one, there is every chance the Gulf Emirates will follow

For two, a bunch of Qataris, reportedly including members of the ruling family kidnapped in Southern Iraq (a Shi'ite hotbed) have been reported killed by their captors. If that is so, that is a major escalation, as they might have done better with them alive.

For three, this may not help any plans for peace in Syria.

For four, lets just see how downward this spiral can get.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Scott_P said:

Was it because of this.... :wink:

Iran might rename street where Saudi embassy sits after executed cleric Nimr al-Nimr

http://i100.independent.co.uk/article/iran-might-rename-street-where-saudi-embassy-sits-after-executed-cleric-nimr-alnimr--b1RL7czRoe?utm_source=indy&utm_medium=top5&utm_campaign=i100
  • Options
    FPT:

"If the PLP don’t respond to this latest provocation by Jeremy Corbyn, then it will be further proof that Corbyn will remain Leader until the general election as the PLP are as impotent as a eunuch. Additionally the logic behind Corbyn wanting his top team to speak with one voice on foreign and defence issues is impeccable, and actually shows real political nous by Corbyn. Corbyn’s opponents inside and outwith the Labour Party should take note and not underestimate him"

I find the closing paragraph of TSE's summary quite unbelievable. Jeremy Corbyn is the elected leader of the Labour Party. If he sacks Benn and others, he will not be provoking anyone. The provocation has already happened. 11 Shadow Cabinet members voted against the majority wishes of the Shadow Cabinet, the PLP and the members of the Labour Party.

No point muddying the waters with "free vote" etc. That "free vote" was hoisted upon the Leader. It is now his turn to make the shadow cabinet in the Leader's image. A Leader who received 59% of the votes in the party.

Principled MPs can always squack from the back benches as much as they like. In fact, emulate someone called Jeremy Corbyn, a serial rebel.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

55 > 45.

As may be. The Scottish Parliament (through its executive) has agreed that it doesn't have the power to call a referendum

Do you have a link for that?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Nato bases ? They want ours ? What's the story here ?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873
    surbiton said:

FPT:

"If the PLP don’t respond to this latest provocation by Jeremy Corbyn, then it will be further proof that Corbyn will remain Leader until the general election as the PLP are as impotent as a eunuch. Additionally the logic behind Corbyn wanting his top team to speak with one voice on foreign and defence issues is impeccable, and actually shows real political nous by Corbyn. Corbyn’s opponents inside and outwith the Labour Party should take note and not underestimate him"

I find the closing paragraph of TSE's summary quite unbelievable. Jeremy Corbyn is the elected leader of the Labour Party. If he sacks Benn and others, he will not be provoking anyone. The provocation has already happened. 11 Shadow Cabinet members voted against the majority wishes of the Shadow Cabinet, the PLP and the members of the Labour Party.

No point muddying the waters with "free vote" etc. That "free vote" was hoisted upon the Leader. It is now his turn to make the shadow cabinet in the Leader's image. A Leader who received 59% of the votes in the party.

Principled MPs can always squack from the back benches as much as they like. In fact, emulate someone called Jeremy Corbyn, a serial rebel.

I see "Principled MP" Simon Danczuck has "said he wanted to make sure Labour lost the seat he won for them.” according to the latest girlfriend.

• Options
    edited January 2016
    tlg86 said:

surbiton said:

And still they come

ITV

Yeah, but there wasn't a nice welfare state waiting for migrants until relatively recently.
    Migrants come here to work as we all know. The work which Britons somehow don't want to do bizarrely.

They earn far more money working than claiming benefits.
This discussion has been closed.