Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tim Montgomerie’s right: Current government policy decision

Comments

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,356
    Oh Sherlock. What a disappointment.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,521

perdix said:

Mr. 1983, Conservatives would be daft to take Carswell back. They've set a good precedent for defections to UKIP [from a blue perspective], and just letting Carswell return would provide a safety net for those contemplating defection. Better for them to think of Reckless' fate.

When he was a Tory and appeared on the box Carswell never supported the Party's policies. Probably why the Beeb decided to have him on.

This is of course utter bollocks.

According to the Public Whip Carswell voted against his party in 2.6% of the votes between 2005 and 2010. This increased to 7.7% between 2010 and his defection. Hardly surprising given he was becoming increasingly unhappy with Cameron's policies.

But the idea he never supported the Party's policies is just fantasy.
    Probably the impression was created by the fact that the only times he was invited to express his opinion on TV was when he was opposing his own party... An illustration of the problem that the BBC refuses to recognise. Claiming to impartial and above the fray in political journalism does not work - the act of reporting changes the "facts".
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Wash your mouth out.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    DavidL said:

@alstewitn: #Sherlock 7% cocaine solution, 93% indulgent twaddle. https://t.co/N6OTZOgjbb
  • Options

DavidL said:

Wash your mouth out.
    Self indulgent twaddle would be generous.
  • Options
    @eljmayes: The i tomorrow reports that Emily Thornberry will return to the Shadow Cabinet in the upcoming reshuffle.

@londonstatto: When I see this, I feel respect. https://t.co/QjVlCb2dRx
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,047

Adeline - weird design that looks like a fail aerodynamically. The comment from most experts was Advertising-Engineering. It was rushed out as a band aid to the fact that SpaceX hadn't failed yet.

Official ESA policy seems to re-usability cuts into payload too much (except that SpaceX advertised and sold payload capabilities already include 30% margin for resuablity) and will require lots of costly refurbishment.

The simple truth is that if F9R works out, nothing ESA has planned can compete.

To bring this back to EU/UK politics - look for the French in the very near future to demand that all satellites which are funded by EU governments or use government backing in some way(*) will have to use ESA rockets. This would be legal - would use the military/strategic opt out for the various free trade treaties.

*Many private satellites have government assistance with loan financing etc.

Thanks. I thought Adeline, whilst a reaction to SpaceX, wasn't quite such a mess. At least they are looking at ways of reducing cost, even if it is ten years too late (or twenty, given when the DCX Clipper was around)

SpaceX might well become a poster-boy for private enterprise: doing things cheaper than governments and their lackeys can.

I'm not sure I like France's suggestion.
    I don't think the French have actually suggested that; Malmesbury merely thinks they might.

Truth is, SpaceX (and other private companies) are going to make a whole bunch of government space initiatives look very stupid, very slow, and very expensive. They backed a bunch of companies peddling very expensive solutions.

The ESA, NASA, Roscosmos: do any of them have any role in the future?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

DavidL said:

@alstewitn: #Sherlock 7% cocaine solution, 93% indulgent twaddle. https://t.co/N6OTZOgjbb
    I honestly hadn't seen that. Weird coincidence of words.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,100
    DavidL said:

It was live streamed in several cinemas tonight but yes agree while it passed the time it was too complicated and pretentious
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,509

Scott_P said:

@RacingPost: BREAKING: ITV to replace Channel 4 as racing broadcaster next year https://t.co/pYHxQ6LJpN

@RacingPost: BREAKING: ITV wins rights to broadcast British racing from January 1, 2017 https://t.co/yKKNohAJVN

Channel 4 Racing has lost the plot and most of its audience over the last couple of years, not to mention forking out a big sack of cash for Formula One. Knowing racing's ability to shoot itself in the foot, ITV could be even worse.
    I believe the bulk of the coverage will be on ITV4, that channel that most people don't even know exists...
    ITV 4 do a very good job with the BTCC and support races.
    You kind of prove your point...I had no idea that BTCC was now on ITV4...I used to quite like that and been to it in person, but had no idea if / where it was shown these days.

That might be they are doing a good job and they have stuff like the footie on there too, but the ratings for ITV4 are shocking. On Freeview, it is so far down the EPG surrounded by s##t channels, that nobody gets there. Even when ITV had the champions league footie, I regularly forgot to check if a game was being shown on there.
    Fair enough. Although in these days of multi- and converging media, the concepts of broadcast channels themselves is becoming muddier.
    It is and why you need a clear "brand" if you run traditional tv channels. Dave seems to have done quite well in that respect and ITV did quite well with ITV2 (TOWIE and all that rubbish), everybody knows what they will get if they flick to especially the Dave channel.

If you notice Sky also now like to temporarily rebrand some of their channels like at the moment Sky Sport Darts and they do the same for movies.

ITV4 on the other hand is an absolute lottery. Maybe they have a grand plan, but if it is just sticking racing into the schedules of ITV4, I can foresee the viewing figures being awful.
    ITV4 is meant to be a 'man channel' I think. Old Westerns, The Professionals, the odd Bond. Racing fits with that.

I agree with you that UKTV (umbrella company of Dave, Yesterday, Drama, Gold) does the branding of its various channels very well.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Elon Musk has quite honestly shown more vision, been prepared to risk his fortune multiple times, and has more imagination, more interesting ideas and frankly more will than any other billionaire about.

He became a medium/low end millionaire from PayPal. Then bet it all on Tesla and SpaceX - with a side helping of SolarCity. That's what's made him a billionaire.

Talking of black swans - consider this:

In the 2020 timeframe, Telsa will be in full production of their model 3 - the £20K, 300 mile range electric car. 300 miles for £2 of electricity.... How long before the politicians panic in this country?
    I've had three opportunities to meed Elon Musk, and embarrassingly have had to pass up each one. I hope I get a fourth opportunity.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

EPG said:

perdix said:

Mr. 1983, Conservatives would be daft to take Carswell back. They've set a good precedent for defections to UKIP [from a blue perspective], and just letting Carswell return would provide a safety net for those contemplating defection. Better for them to think of Reckless' fate.

When he was a Tory and appeared on the box Carswell never supported the Party's policies. Probably why the Beeb decided to have him on.

There was a marvelously funny story to the effect that he was invited for one program and defended the government policy in question. The person responsible for the invite furiously cornered him and asked why he'd defended such a policy, since he was a right wing Tory. Carswell pointed out that he'd recommended the policy in question in his book......
    That isn't the only time. I have heard Carswell say that at one point it was a fairly regular occurrence. The Beeboids couldn't get their head around that he isn't a younger version of Bill Cash i.e awkward squad for awkward anti-EU sake, he has a particular world version, much of which is outlined in The Plan, and it is in some part quite liberal in others right-wing.

It is also why he runs into trouble with Farage e.g immigrants with HIV/AIDs.
    He wrote on his blog that they would ask him before inviting him (after that) if he would oppose whatever the government was proposing. If he said no - no invite....
    The BBC is required to be politically balanced which means (rightly or wrongly) they line up an MP in favour and an MP against.
    This is such an obvious point. Imagine the moans and whines here if the BBC lined up two speakers to support some policy PB Tories don't like.
    Something they do all the time. The BBC considers itself the unofficial opposition to the right of centre in this country and will always try to produce commentators and speakers who can be assured of taking a stance against either Tory or UKIP positions, preferably with no response from the Right.

I should also say that I believe they follow the same policy with the SNP and will happily put up unionist commentators with no pro-independence voice.

It goes without saying that the same applies to anything to do with the Euroscepticism.
    In fairness somebody has to be the opposition to the right of centre. Who else is likely to represent the, by definition, 50% on the other side of centre when Labour is being so self indulgent and irrelevant?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,676
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

It was live streamed in several cinemas tonight but yes agree while it passed the time it was too complicated and pretentious
    I always thought 'and then I woke up' was restricted to 8 year olds' essays, rather than 'quality' drama.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,509
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Roger said:

What could you possibly have missed on first viewing?

Watch it again and find out...
    I wasn't sure of my feelings about it on first viewing (liked a lot of it, but was ambivalent about some aspects), but was much more positive about it on second viewing - the flaws that were there I felt, on reflection, did not ruin it and were more due to my own expectations, though I can understand why some people would dislike the movie for them.
    I'm watching it for the first time in a few hours. Hopefully it wont be crap.
    It's not crap visually. If they've learned nothing else since the CGI enhanced remakes started the whole cash in, it's how to respect the atmosphere of the initial films. Don't go expecting anything storywise though.
  • Options
    I was at the cinema and people applauded and cheered and whooped.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

Utterly cringeworthy when that happens.
  • Options
    RobD said:

I was wearing a deerstalker too.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492

Was that the time George Osborne walked in ?

• Options

RobD said:

And nothing else?
  • Options

No when they showed a clip of Reckless and Farage losing in May
  • Options
    DavidL said:

In fairness somebody has to be the opposition to the right of centre. Who else is likely to represent the, by definition, 50% on the other side of centre when Labour is being so self indulgent and irrelevant?

But it should not be the BBC. They are supposed to be balanced and neutral. The problem is that they almost invariably have an accepted position on a subject and they pursue an agenda. This is not just me moaning because their positions are ones I disagree with. They do this with positions I support as well and I find it equally annoying. They should have people on who oppose the Government but when they do so they should balance that with people who support the Government as well. And they should never be in a position where the main voice of opposition is their own correspondents.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Mr. Llama, I meant non-partisan, of course.

One is shocked and appalled you'd ever think Sir Edric might have ill judgement.

Of course I don't think that. Sir Edric is in many ways the Acme of the English, what young Englishmen should aspire to become. That said he is not perfect as demonstrated by his lust for that bloody Elf, Lysandra.

@Sean_F

The doctors are now, supposedly, saying we should abstain two days a week. Never heard such nonsense. I am going to ask my medicus which days he will be choosing, I don't anticipate a straight answer.
    From a Professor of cardiology in 2014.
    Q: Any particular food that would be beneficial to the heart?
    A: A glass of red wine a day.
    That theory was rather discredited by Glaxo blowing the thick end of $800 million to discover that red wine had no statistically significant impact on cardiovascular survival rates
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

....as Advertising-Engineering. It was rushed out as a band aid to the fact that SpaceX hadn't failed yet.

Official ESA policy seems to re-usability cuts into payload too much (except that SpaceX advertised and sold payload capabilities already include 30% margin for resuablity) and will require lots of costly refurbishment.

The simple truth is that if F9R works out, nothing ESA has planned can compete.

To bring this back to EU/UK politics - look for the French in the very near future to demand that all satellites which are funded by EU governments or use government backing in some way(*) will have to use ESA rockets. This would be legal - would use the military/strategic opt out for the various free trade treaties.

*Many private satellites have government assistance with loan financing etc.

Thanks. I thought Adeline, whilst a reaction to SpaceX, wasn't quite such a mess. At least they are looking at ways of reducing cost, even if it is ten years too late (or twenty, given when the DCX Clipper was around)

SpaceX might well become a poster-boy for private enterprise: doing things cheaper than governments and their lackeys can.

I'm not sure I like France's suggestion.
    I don't think the French have actually suggested that; Malmesbury merely thinks they might.

Truth is, SpaceX (and other private companies) are going to make a whole bunch of government space initiatives look very stupid, very slow, and very expensive. They backed a bunch of companies peddling very expensive solutions.

The ESA, NASA, Roscosmos: do any of them have any role in the future?
    They will all keep selling the idea that re-usability is uneconomic until F9R is in full swing.

Then as market share drops they will try and sell based on reliability.

Then they will try to change or vanish into their own fundements.

The problem is the inability of large organisations to change. Imagine, say at an auto company , a mid level executive says "We should look at building electric cars."

On the face of it, a mild statement.

To everyone in the engine division, he words come across as "You scum - I want to personally make you all redundant. And then piss on the grave of your division". So said engineer gets pounded into the ground... See the attempts at digital photography at all the big photo film companies for more examples...

This goes for governments as well as industry, of course. So when someone suggest that the Department of the Environment should modify the balance of priorities more to flood defenses than to nature conservation.... what many there are hearing is "We want to rape the planet. Plus your jobs are going away and will be given to a bunch of grimy handed engineers instead".
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

I encountered that happening periodically throughout the movie. Just at completely inappropriate moments.
  • Options

They will all keep selling the idea that re-usability is uneconomic until F9R is in full swing.

Then as market share drops they will try and sell based on reliability.

Then they will try to change or vanish into their own fundements.

The problem is the inability of large organisations to change. Imagine, say at an auto company , a mid level executive says "We should look at building electric cars."

On the face of it, a mild statement.

To everyone in the engine division, he words come across as "You scum - I want to personally make you all redundant. And then piss on the grave of your division". So said engineer gets pounded into the ground... See the attempts at digital photography at all the big photo film companies for more examples...

This goes for governments as well as industry, of course. So when someone suggest that the Department of the Environment should modify the balance of priorities more to flood defenses than to nature conservation.... what many there are hearing is "We want to rape the planet. Plus your jobs are going away and will be given to a bunch of grimy handed engineers instead".

LOL! I'd agree with all of that.
  • Options

I can only imagine that your life has been fairly dull for you to repeatedly mention the result of an election in which you played no part and the result of which had no bearing on you. You are the political equivalent of a trainspotter.

• Options

I can only imagine that your life has been fairly dull for you to repeatedly mention the result of an election in which you played no part and the result of which had no bearing on you. You are the political equivalent of a trainspotter.

I think it is incorrect to say he played no part, actually.
  • Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113

In the 2020 timeframe, Telsa will be in full production of their model 3 - the £20K, 300 mile range electric car. 300 miles for £2 of electricity.... How long before the politicians panic in this country?

Actually £30k, real world 200 miles (ie winter with the heater on) and £9. But point still stands - zero fuel duty to Government. The only logical solution is road pricing.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    @Malmesbury

"In the 2020 timeframe, Telsa will be in full production of their model 3 - the £20K, 300 mile range electric car. 300 miles for £2 of electricity"

Wonderful if it happens, if it happens. £20K is still far too expensive and the 300 mile range will probably be 150 tops for winter driving in the dark but even so it will be a step change from existing electric cars (right now the Nissan Leaf cannot be relied upon to get me to St. James's square on a single, full, charge charge).

• Options
    RobD said:

Oh I see, he's claiming to have masterminded the Tory victory now is he. I didn't realise TSE was Lynton Crosby.

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

You seem to have a bit of a fixation on Mark Reckless.
  • Options

Actually £30k, real world 200 miles (ie winter with the heater on) and £9. But point still stands - zero fuel duty to Government. The only logical solution is road pricing.
    You could even make the cost per mile scale by the cost of the car, so the more well off pay more.
  • Options

DavidL said:

But it should not be the BBC. They are supposed to be balanced and neutral. The problem is that they almost invariably have an accepted position on a subject and they pursue an agenda. This is not just me moaning because their positions are ones I disagree with. They do this with positions I support as well and I find it equally annoying. They should have people on who oppose the Government but when they do so they should balance that with people who support the Government as well. And they should never be in a position where the main voice of opposition is their own correspondents.
    I think it is possible to make a case that our national broadcaster should be a voice for those not otherwise being heard but I agree that voice should not be to the exclusion of the right of centre, nor should their representatives be chosen because they oppose government policy in the way Carsewell has described. I just wish that they had felt there was such a duty when Blair was even more dominant.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

You seem to have a bit of a fixation on Mark Reckless.
    A bit?

• Options

RobD said:

Oh I see, he's claiming to have masterminded the Tory victory now is he. I didn't realise TSE was Lynton Crosby.

Not just that, but I think he was involved on the ground. At least that is the impression I got.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I think it is possible to make a case that our national broadcaster should be a voice for those not otherwise being heard but I agree that voice should not be to the exclusion of the right of centre, nor should their representatives be chosen because they oppose government policy in the way Carsewell has described. I just wish that they had felt there was such a duty when Blair was even more dominant.
    It's not the BBCs job to make a case for anything.

• Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

And nothing else?
    I was wearing my usual sober going out in clothes.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Not sure how Dave plans to keep this promise:

"'No Tory left behind' pledge amid boundary change fear
    David Cameron has told every Tory MP they will be guaranteed a seat to fight at the 2020 election following major rebellion threats"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/conservative/12077770/No-Tory-left-behind-pledge-amid-boundary-change-fear.html
  • Options

@Malmesbury

"In the 2020 timeframe, Telsa will be in full production of their model 3 - the £20K, 300 mile range electric car. 300 miles for £2 of electricity"

Wonderful if it happens, if it happens. £20K is still far too expensive and the 300 mile range will probably be 150 tops for winter driving in the dark but even so it will be a step change from existing electric cars (right now the Nissan Leaf cannot be relied upon to get me to St. James's square on a single, full, charge charge).

I work just around the corner from there!
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Not just that, but I think he was involved on the ground. At least that is the impression I got.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but he lives in the North? Why on earth would anybody travel 200 miles + to deliver leaflets?

• Options
    @Ellen27: #Sherlock more disappointing than getting socks for Christmas, at least you know what to do with socks.
  • Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113
    RobD said:

You could even make the cost per mile scale by the cost of the car, so the more well off pay more.

You could do all kinds of things. Vary the charge by location and time for starters. Price off less valuable trips in the peak in congested places, save billions from unnecessary capital spending. It's how rail fares work.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but he lives in the North? Why on earth would anybody travel 200 miles + to deliver leaflets?

I couldn't say where he went, but I think the Tories did win some seats in the North too. It isn't as if all the campaigning happened south of the M4.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

David Cameron has told every Tory MP they will be guaranteed a seat to fight at the 2020 election following major rebellion threats"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/conservative/12077770/No-Tory-left-behind-pledge-amid-boundary-change-fear.html

Note that it wasn't that they will keep a seat with a Tory majority, just that they will be guaranteed a seat to fight.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

At the GE I canvassed in two seats, Pudsey and Sheffield Hallam (for the Lib Dems as an observer)

I popped into the Rochester and Strood by election at one point in Nov 2014. Allowed me to confidently predict Kelly would crush Reckless at the GE.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

@Malmesbury

I have two Teslas - a Model S and a Roadster. My Model S promises 270 miles "ideal", and if I'm driving on the motorway or on a roadtrip, I get that or - pretty close - irrespective of the weather. (It might be 5% worse in winter, but nothing serious.)

What does kill the range is city driving. I probably average 600watts a mile in town (range 120 miles), as opposed to 250-300 out of town.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

I couldn't say where he went, but I think the Tories did win some seats in the North too. It isn't as if all the campaigning happened south of the M4.
    Errh, he specifically mentioned two seats in Kent, neither of which he had any influence on whatsoever. Mark Reckless showed far more dignity in defeat than certain Tories have in victory, Rudyard Kipling mentioned something about that once.

• Options
    edited January 2016

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Errh, he specifically mentioned two seats in Kent, neither of which he had any influence on whatsoever. Mark Reckless showed far more dignity in defeat than certain Tories have in victory, Rudyard Kipling mentioned something about that once.

You could say no individual seat had any influence on the result. Although I hadn't realised Pudsey and Sheffield are now in Kent.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

At the GE I canvassed in two seats, Pudsey and Sheffield Hallam (for the Lib Dems as an observer)

I popped into the Rochester and Strood by election at one point in Nov 2014. Allowed me to confidently predict Kelly would crush Reckless at the GE.
    There you go, knock yourself out.

• Options
    AndyJS said:

What is the usual "churn" of MPs retiring / choosing not to stand again? I would presume it is usually large enough to mean not everybody has to try and fight the likes of seats in Liverpool .
  • Options

AndyJS said:

What is the usual "churn" of MPs retiring / choosing not to stand again? I would presume it is usually large enough to mean not everybody has to try and fight the likes of seats in Liverpool .
    http://parliamentarycandidates.org/data/mps-standing-down/

37 Tories stood down last time. Sounds like enough for Cam to keep his word, provided local associations play ball.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

You could say no individual seat had any influence on the result. Although I hadn't realised Pudsey and Sheffield are now in Kent.
    You really need to read the last 20 minutes of this thread. TSE has an obsession with Reckless, in word association he can link his defeat to anything you like. He's like a 4 year old with that attention deficit thing.

• Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

You really need to read the last 20 minutes of this thread. TSE has an obsession with Reckless, in word association he can link his defeat to anything you like. He's like a 4 year old with that attention deficit thing.

I wasn't talking about Reckless.

You said he played no part in the election, which clearly isn't true.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

I went to see Spurs beat Norwich last week, they won 3-0. I played a part in the win by cheering them onto the pitch. I then waited outside the ground to stick two fingers up at the Norwich fans.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

I said he played no part in the Reckless election, which is categorically true,

• Options
    edited January 2016

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Fair enough.
    Edit: I had thought it was the GE, as may have been apparent when I was talking about seats won in the North.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

@Malmesbury

I have two Teslas - a Model S and a Roadster. My Model S promises 270 miles "ideal", and if I'm driving on the motorway or on a roadtrip, I get that or - pretty close - irrespective of the weather. (It might be 5% worse in winter, but nothing serious.)

What does kill the range is city driving. I probably average 600watts a mile in town (range 120 miles), as opposed to 250-300 out of town.
    What about the effects of darkness, rain and cold? Cars from other manufacturers seem to get about 50% of the published range when driving in "bad" conditions. Does Tesla do better? If so what technology are they using that is not available to, say, Toyota?

Don't get me wrong, I think Electric cars are a spiffing idea. I am just not convinced that the technology can yet, or in the near future, match the claims that are being made. The costs are also beyond the ordinary motorists and will remain so for the foreseeable future.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Road pricing is politically on a par with announcing that you are selling the NHS to US health corporations for a percentage of the action - political poison on a epic, epic scale. Every time the civil servants have pushed it to the surface the politicians put is gently back in the box...
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,100

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

I always thought 'and then I woke up' was restricted to 8 year olds' essays, rather than 'quality' drama.
    Not forgetting Dallas of course!
  • Options
    RobD said:

AndyJS said:

37 Tories stood down last time. Sounds like enough for Cam to keep his word, provided local associations play ball.
    There should be more the next time. There are more tories and a significant number of the class of 2010 will by then have done 10 years without getting office. Surely a significant number of these will want to do something better with their time.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

And before giving such a promise, the whips would have sorted out a list of those retiring, those up for a seat in the Lords etc. Complete with a margin to cover changed minds/circumstances

Bit like the promises of "no compulsory redundancies" used in sensible companies - organising that is just a standard skill in HR.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

@Malmesbury

Strange - most report the reverse... Electric is very efficient for stop go, 30 mph driving.

Unless you are "launching" at every traffic light :-)
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,947

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Regardless, what's it to you or anyone else what someone else may or may not be obsessed about? If you cannot be obsessively focused on political minutiae of your own interest here, where can you be? It's amazingly easy to skip a point you find repetitive.

Good night
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Fair enough.
    Edit: I had thought it was the GE, as may have been apparent when I was talking about seats won in the North.
    Not a problem, best wishes.

• Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Fair enough.
    Not a problem, best wishes.

You know the most important thing to do on the internet is to prove that someone else is wrong, right? ;)
  • Options
    DavidL said:

RobD said:

AndyJS said:

There should be more the next time. There are more tories and a significant number of the class of 2010 will by then have done 10 years without getting office. Surely a significant number of these will want to do something better with their time.
    Getting paid nigh on seventy grand a year, plus expenses which include a Taxpayer funded home in Town, for a part-time job that has no performance criteria and longer holidays than even teachers get. Why would anyone want to give that up? Crumbs, whatever else you want to do with your life you could fit in around the occasional commitment to turn up and vote.
  • Options
    Drive a Tesla and tell me, honestly, that the future's not electric.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

@Malmesbury

What about the effects of darkness, rain and cold? Cars from other manufacturers seem to get about 50% of the published range when driving in "bad" conditions. Does Tesla do better? If so what technology are they using that is not available to, say, Toyota?

Don't get me wrong, I think Electric cars are a spiffing idea. I am just not convinced that the technology can yet, or in the near future, match the claims that are being made. The costs are also beyond the ordinary motorists and will remain so for the foreseeable future.
    As you seem to regularly go to St James's Square (where - coincidentally I'm sure - BP is based), I'm happy to show you either of both of my Teslas and explain all.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

@Malmesbury

Strange - most report the reverse... Electric is very efficient for stop go, 30 mph driving.

Unless you are "launching" at every traffic light :-)
    I'm not launching, but a constant 60 miles per hour will see you break 300 miles range on a Tesla, while driving into London every day in rush hour traffic, and spending 35 minutes to go 5 miles will see you deplete 80 kilowatts of battery in roughly 115-120 miles.

That's probably a combination of heater, lights, loud music and the like.

(When you're doing cross-country driving, the heater isn't used as there's enough 'waste' heat from the engines and the battery.)
  • Options

I drive a Tesla, and I can tell you: the future's electric.

Now: a question for pb folk.

In Northern Ireland, did Orange - the mobile phone company - use the slogan "The Future's Bright, the Future's Orange"?
  • Options
    @robD

Well quite.

My point is this, Cameron deserves credit for the work he's done with regard to the nasty party tag. He would be mortified by the behaviour of 1 or 2 of his supporters who seem intent on reinforcing that reputation. Modesty in victory is as important as dignity in defeat, we all know the one about who we meet on the way up.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

@Malmesbury

As you seem to regularly go to St James's Square (where - coincidentally I'm sure - BP is based), I'm happy to show you either of both of my Teslas and explain all.
    The main difference is that Tesla didin't just stick and electric motor and a pile of batteries in a car and sell it. They engineered the product end to end, properly.

In particular the battery is cossetted - careful control of charging, cooled/heated to keep in a optimum temperature window etc.

Norwegian drivers (there are alot of Teslas sold in Norway - being all electric gets round a massive car tax) seem to report 20% reduction in range due to weather.
  • Options

@robD

Well quite.

My point is this, Cameron deserves credit for the work he's done with regard to the nasty party tag. He would be mortified by the behaviour of 1 or 2 of his supporters who seem intent on reinforcing that reputation. Modesty in victory is as important as dignity in defeat, we all know the one about who we meet on the way up.

I think the fixation with Reckless (as you see it) may be due to the fact he defected from the party, and right before Cam's speech at conference IIRC. Leaves a bit of a sour taste in the mouth.
  • Options

DavidL said:

RobD said:

AndyJS said:

Getting paid nigh on seventy grand a year, plus expenses which include a Taxpayer funded home in Town, for a part-time job that has no performance criteria and longer holidays than even teachers get. Why would anyone want to give that up? Crumbs, whatever else you want to do with your life you could fit in around the occasional commitment to turn up and vote.
    Get a job as something useless in local government as a "consultant" - put £500 a day into a tax calculator.....
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,965
    @rcs1000 Have you donated the £10 to http://www.cats.org.uk/ btw ^^; ?
  • Options
    RobD said:

@robD

Well quite.

I think the fixation with Reckless (as you see it) may be due to the fact he defected from the party, and right before Cam's speech at conference IIRC. Leaves a bit of a sour taste in the mouth.
    Of course I know what it's about, but you have to admit it's a bit weird to drone on about it continuously. Sol Campbell left Spurs to join Arsenal, it's all some Spurs fans bleat about, it's pathetic.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

@Malmesbury

Alas, Mr. Robert, my time of regularly going to St. James's Square are probably past me now. I am hardly ever allowed up to Town, nowadays. So, much as I would love to see your cars, and perhaps even be taken for a drive in one, it isn't likely to happen.

So perhaps you would oblige and just answer my question

P.S. I am not and never have been connected with BP.
  • Options

DavidL said:

RobD said:

AndyJS said:

Get a job as something useless in local government as a "consultant" - put £500 a day into a tax calculator.....
    Rifkind managed to combine the two, no need to give up his day job.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

No I have not. I owe you £10
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited January 2016
    On thread re montie and his rightness..

Improbable and near impossible if relying on past performance alone.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

@Malmesbury

Watts per mile???

I'm not computing. Chuck a rotten egg at me if my brain's not started working yet in 2016, but that doesn't smell right as an economy measure.
  • Options
    Blimey, a comment with both reckless and sol in it... 2016 is off with a bang.

That's too rich for my blood.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

@Malmesbury

The main difference is that Tesla didin't just stick and electric motor and a pile of batteries in a car and sell it. They engineered the product end to end, properly.

In particular the battery is cossetted - careful control of charging, cooled/heated to keep in a optimum temperature window etc.

Norwegian drivers (there are alot of Teslas sold in Norway - being all electric gets round a massive car tax) seem to report 20% reduction in range due to weather.
    Thank you, Mr. Malmesbury. Now I start to understand why Tesla is producing a performance an order of magnitude better than, say, Nissan. Of course, they are charging an awful lot more than, say, Nissan as well.
  • Options

I might do a betting thread about Sol for Sunday.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

No I have not. I owe you £10
    Thanks ^^;
  • Options
    I

Can you squeeze new pbtories fave rich Burgon in too? He is the newcomer of 2015 and is set to go places this year (not the City though natch)
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited January 2016

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

@Malmesbury

Incentives matter, as the economists say.

(Norway is their largest market in Europe, and in fact accounts for about 27% of their European sales. But before anyone gets too excited, we are talking about something in the order of 15,000 sales in the whole of Europe during 2015. There are about 13 million car sales per year in Western Europe alone.)
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited January 2016
    When watching star wars again y'day, I saw a film trailer for tim Burtons Alice through the looking Glass is coming this year... seems appropriate for the pb reds...
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

@Malmesbury

Thank you, Mr. Malmesbury. Now I start to understand why Tesla is producing a performance an order of magnitude better than, say, Nissan. Of course, they are charging an awful lot more than, say, Nissan as well.
    It's really down to a different approach -

Nissan - "Batteries in bulk are expensive. How few can we put in the car before it becomes a short ranged milk float? Use one more than that.

Tesla - "People will only buy an electric car when it has performance and range. Ah, so it will cost in the range of an S class Merc? Then that is what we will build. While investing in making batteries cheaper."
  • Options

I

Can you squeeze new pbtories fave rich Burgon in too? He is the newcomer of 2015 and is set to go places this year (not the City though natch)
    Actually I've done a thread about him and someone who might be the next Tory leader, someone who hasn't been talked as next Tory leader about even thought they should be.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013
    edited January 2016
    rcs1000 said:

In Northern Ireland, did Orange - the mobile phone company - use the slogan "The Future's Bright, the Future's Orange"?
    They certainly did operate, there was even an Orange shop in Derry, can't remember which side. But the slogan? Can't recall.
  • Options

Nissan - "Batteries in bulk are expensive. How few can we put in the car before it becomes a short ranged milk float? Use one more than that.

Tesla - "People will only buy an electric car when it has performance and range. Ah, so it will cost in the range of an S class Merc? Then that is what we will build. While investing in making batteries cheaper."

Thanks again for your extended explanation, Mr. Malmesbury.

There aren't very many people who can afford an S Class (and even fewer who are prepared to spend their cash on such, but let that pass). Tesla's Model 3 is going to be beyond the pockets of any but the well off, and that is assuming they get the price to market at the promised $35k.

Battery technology is clearly the key and, whilst great progress is being made, we do seem to be a good few years away from that which is needed. After all I still can't buy a battery that will keep my phone working for more than a day or two and batteries do seem to become distressingly less efficient all too quickly (I shall probably replace my two year old phone this year because doing so will be cheaper than buying a new battery for the damn thing).
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    rcs1000 said:

EPG said:

rcs1000 said:

They certainly did operate, there was even an Orange shop in Derry, can't remember which side. But the slogan? Can't recall.
    I certainly recall that they used the slogan in Great Britain. I think they were close to rolling it out into the RoI (not NI specifically) as they manage their island of Ireland business as one...when someone pointed out the issue...
  • Options

You are the political equivalent of a trainspotter.

Sunil's Great British Railway Journeys of 2015

(NB. routes that Sunil never did before prior to Jan 1st 2015 - note, due to ELBOW, paucity of routes prior to Election Day!):

January:
    Alvechurch re-doubling (Redditch Branch)

April:
    Nuneaton to Leicester

May:
    Tamworth to Derby
    Wolverhampton St George's singling (Midland Metro)

June:
    Birmingham to Cheltenham Spa (via Camp Hill Line and Droitwich avoider)
    Swindon to Cheltenham via Gloucester
    Worcester to Ashchurch

July:
    Worcester to Oxford
    Peterborough to Leicester
    Oakham to Kettering
    Cambridge to Peterborough via Ely

August:
    Hitchin Flyover
    Grantham to Nottingham
    Nottingham to Long Eaton
    Ashord to Dover

September:
    Bristol Temple Meads to Cheltenham Spa (via Gloucester avoider)
    Stoke-on-Trent to Derby
    Shrewsbury to Crewe
    Shrewsbury to Hereford

October:
    Crewe to Wigan North Western
    East Grinstead to Sheffield Park (Bluebell Railway)
    Newbury to Westbury
    Westbury to Frome
    Westbury to Bath Spa
    Longleat Railway (Longleat Safari Park)
    Crewe to Chester
    Colchester to Norwich

November:
    Bicester Curve (ie. Oxford Parkway)
    Wimbledon new platform 10 (Tramlink)
    Crewe to Liverpool Lime Street
    James Street to Liverpool Lime Street
    Ashford to Ramsgate via Canterbury West

December:
    Basingstoke to Southampton Central
    St Pauls to Bull Street (Midland Metro)
    Colchester to Clacton
    Whitstable to Ramsgate via Margate
  • Options
    "Jeremy Corbyn faces 'beginning of the end' if he fails to win 35 per cent of vote in May elections, say allies"

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jeremy-corbyn-faces-beginning-of-the-end-if-he-fails-to-win-35-per-cent-of-vote-in-may-elections-say-a6793321.html
  • Options
    When's the next republican debate btw - those are amazing entertainment !
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

EPG said:

rcs1000 said:

I certainly recall that they used the slogan in Great Britain. I think they were close to rolling it out into the RoI (not NI specifically) as they manage their island of Ireland business as one...when someone pointed out the issue...
    They never operated in RoI
  • Options

Thanks again for your extended explanation, Mr. Malmesbury.

There aren't very many people who can afford an S Class (and even fewer who are prepared to spend their cash on such, but let that pass). Tesla's Model 3 is going to be beyond the pockets of any but the well off, and that is assuming they get the price to market at the promised $35k.

Battery technology is clearly the key and, whilst great progress is being made, we do seem to be a good few years away from that which is needed. After all I still can't buy a battery that will keep my phone working for more than a day or two and batteries do seem to become distressingly less efficient all too quickly (I shall probably replace my two year old phone this year because doing so will be cheaper than buying a new battery for the damn thing).
    The S class thing is important in that they are outselling the S class in many markets. Think about that - a car company that sells its product better than Mercedes....

If you let them lose in an another sub market of the car business, what will they do there?
  • Options
    "I want to be the Hitler of Turkey, says Erdogan"

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/world/asia/article4654292.ece
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

DavidL said:

Wash your mouth out.
    Haven't watched it myself but Moffat really has to dump mark Gatiss,has anyone seen his episode he wrote in the excellent series 9 of Dr who.

Worst of the season.
This discussion has been closed.