Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tim Montgomerie’s right: Current government policy decision

Comments

• Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,657

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Mr. Llama, I meant non-partisan, of course.

One is shocked and appalled you'd ever think Sir Edric might have ill judgement.

Of course I don't think that. Sir Edric is in many ways the Acme of the English, what young Englishmen should aspire to become. That said he is not perfect as demonstrated by his lust for that bloody Elf, Lysandra.

@Sean_F

The doctors are now, supposedly, saying we should abstain two days a week. Never heard such nonsense. I am going to ask my medicus which days he will be choosing, I don't anticipate a straight answer.
    Isn't Sir Edric basically Sir Harry Flashman, in a different time and place?
    Sort of, Mr. F, but without the naughty bits. They are both examples of the archetypal English hero who has starred in literature for centuries.
    I always love the blurb for the first Flashman novel:-

"Can a man who is expelled from Rugby School as a drunken bully,
    Who wantonly seduces his father's mistress,
    Who lies, cheats, and proves a coward on the battlefield.....

Be all bad?"

His only failing is that he cheated at cricket.
    All the rest is fair game, but cheating at cricket, well that just isn't cricket sir....and we have to take a very dim view of it.
    "Wantonly seduces his father's mistress".

That rather stunts the humanity of the mistress.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

3 halves of beer

Sean_F said:

Mr. Llama, aim is to be equal opportunities as far as deriding politics goes. The new alcohol guidelines story has already provided an obvious line.

I know I'm taking a reckless guess at this point, but I presume that the new guidelines are more, rather than less, restrictive.
    I imagine the point of these new recommendations is to be so laughable as to bring the whole concept of having recommended amounts into disrepute.
    First they say so-called 'binge drinking', i.e. drinking only once or twice a week, is bad. Then they say drinking every day is bad. Make your mind up, nanny state.

Better guidance would be 'only drink real ale and single malt'. None of this wine nonsense or hipstery craft gin.
    I was about to start a reply with "to be fair". And then I realised this is ridiculous and I don't want to be fair. Not allowed to have a second pint?
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    edited January 2016
    Sean_F said:

Mr. StClare, One True Voice tells the same sermon every week.

Mr. F, that sounds (albeit in a fantasy context) strikingly similar to Sir Edric. Most of it, or similar things, happen in the first chapter of the first book :p

The highlights of Sir Harry's career included marrying bigamously (twice), selling an American girlfriend into slavery, directing an opium-trading company, stealing the crown jewels of a European state, bribing a fellow officer to send his opponent into a duel with an unloaded gun (and then reneging on the deal), serving on board a slave ship (and then turning State's evidence against his fellow Slavers), throwing his Russian girlfriend off a sled to lighten the load when pursued by Cossacks, and starting the Charge of the Light Brigade by mistake.

There's nothing not to like.
    He did some even naughtier things too, but I am not sure on the bigamous marriages though. The first one was under duress (Bismark would have had him killed had he not gone through with it) so not really his fault. When was the second one? There was the Apache woman, does that count as a bigamous marriage?

Also I think you are being unkind suggesting Flashman started the Charge of Life Brigade. As he makes clear the fault for that was clearly with Raglan and Lew Nolan. If anything Flashman tried to stop it.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

One is shocked and appalled you'd ever think Sir Edric might have ill judgement.

Of course I don't think that. Sir Edric is in many ways the Acme of the English, what young Englishmen should aspire to become. That said he is not perfect as demonstrated by his lust for that bloody Elf, Lysandra.

@Sean_F

The doctors are now, supposedly, saying we should abstain two days a week. Never heard such nonsense. I am going to ask my medicus which days he will be choosing, I don't anticipate a straight answer.
    Sort of, Mr. F, but without the naughty bits. They are both examples of the archetypal English hero who has starred in literature for centuries.

Be all bad?"

All the rest is fair game, but cheating at cricket, well that just isn't cricket sir....and we have to take a very dim view of it.

I'd have said that the mistress seduced him. He was only 17 after all.
  • Options

@Sean_F

From a Professor of cardiology in 2014.
    Q: Any particular food that would be beneficial to the heart?
    A: A glass of red wine a day.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,676
    I remember when the booze guidance was 'Two to three pints, two to three times a week'. That sounds like moderation, and more than I drink these days.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,965

I remember when the booze guidance was 'Two to three pints, two to three times a week'. That sounds like moderation, and more than I drink these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG0oBPtyNb0
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,875

Sean_F said:

Mr. F, that sounds (albeit in a fantasy context) strikingly similar to Sir Edric. Most of it, or similar things, happen in the first chapter of the first book :p

The highlights of Sir Harry's career included marrying bigamously (twice), selling an American girlfriend into slavery, directing an opium-trading company, stealing the crown jewels of a European state, bribing a fellow officer to send his opponent into a duel with an unloaded gun (and then reneging on the deal), serving on board a slave ship (and then turning State's evidence against his fellow Slavers), throwing his Russian girlfriend off a sled to lighten the load when pursued by Cossacks, and starting the Charge of the Light Brigade by mistake.

He did some even naughtier things too, but I am not sure on the bigamous marriages though. The first one was under duress (Bismark would have had him killed had he not gone through with it) so not really his fault. When was the second one? There was the Apache woman, does that count as a bigamous marriage?

Also I think you are being unkind suggesting Flashman started the Charge of Life Brigade. As he makes clear the fault for that was clearly with Raglan and Lew Nolan. If anything Flashman tried to stop it.
    Three bigamous marriages, come to think of it. He also married Susie Willinck. In fact, by 1850 he was married to Duchess Irma, Sonsee-Array, Susie Willinck, as well as Elspeth.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,875
    MattW said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

@Sean_F

Be all bad?"

Oh, she was a pretty tough character in her own right.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,520

Mr. 1983, Conservatives would be daft to take Carswell back. They've set a good precedent for defections to UKIP [from a blue perspective], and just letting Carswell return would provide a safety net for those contemplating defection. Better for them to think of Reckless' fate.

Also, what does taking him back gain them? He would very likely vote the same way in the House of Commons whether he was in the the Conservative Party, UKIP or as an Independent.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,097
  • Options
    On topic : I see very little reason to believe that Osborne has changed his strategy since he arrived at No. 11

he has consistently worked on the basis of (a) part of the budget is protected (e.g. NHS) (b) squeeze the rest (c) raise some taxes.

The problem for many people is, I think, the narrative of End Times Austerity By Evul Tories For LOLs. Since what he is doing doesn't actually match that, then people try and create a narrative to try and fit their ideas with what is happening....
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,044
    MikeK said:

https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/682935771083468800

Good article on space and private enterprise. All I can say is; "maybe".

The cost of a Space Shuttle Launch was between $500m and $1.5bn, and it could carry approximately 20 tonnes of material to Low Earth Orbit (LEO).

The SpaceX rocket costs around $60m, and uses $200,000 of fuel per journey. It carries 13 tonnes of material to LEO.

If the rocket is reusable 12 times, and requires $1m of refurbishment between launches, that would work out at c. $6m per launch. That's around two order of magnitude cheaper than the Space Shuttle.

SpaceX - and some of the other private space initiatives - could finally make space interesting.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Three bigamous marriages, come to think of it. He also married Susie Willinck. In fact, by 1850 he was married to Duchess Irma, Sonsee-Array, Susie Willinck, as well as Elspeth.
    Did he actually marry Susie? My memory must be playing me up because I cannot remember reading of the wedding ceremony. If it was done before 1850 it must have been during his second liaison with her and before the trek West but I'm damned if I can remember it.

In Flashman's defence if he was married four times before 1850 he got the idea out of system because he lived another 66 years without marrying again.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MikeK said:

The cost of a Space Shuttle Launch was between $500m and $1.5bn, and it could carry approximately 20 tonnes of material to Low Earth Orbit (LEO).

The SpaceX rocket costs around $60m, and uses $200,000 of fuel per journey. It carries 13 tonnes of material to LEO.

If the rocket is reusable 12 times, and requires $1m of refurbishment between launches, that would work out at c. $6m per launch. That's around two order of magnitude cheaper than the Space Shuttle.

SpaceX - and some of the other private space initiatives - could finally make space interesting.
    It's worth noting that the *Chinese* said that they couldn't match SpaceX prices - for completely expendable launches.
  • Options
    In unrelated comedy - turns out that Tony Martin was arrested for possession of... an air rifle
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

MikeK said:

It's worth noting that the *Chinese* said that they couldn't match SpaceX prices - for completely expendable launches.
    When you drop the price of something by 99% (and potentially 99.9%, if they get the Falcon Heavy sorted, and re-use it 50 times...), then all kinds of things become possible that weren't before.

Internet provided by a swarm of 100 LEO satellites suddenly becomes a runner. (Historically, only geosynchrnous made sense, but that meant that ping times became very slow. Lots of LEO satellites could absolutely destroy traditional internet access models.)
  • Options
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @RacingPost: BREAKING: ITV to replace Channel 4 as racing broadcaster next year https://t.co/pYHxQ6LJpN

@RacingPost: BREAKING: ITV wins rights to broadcast British racing from January 1, 2017 https://t.co/yKKNohAJVN
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    HYUFD said:
    Unkindly, let me just say that that may give me a nightmare.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

MikeK said:

When you drop the price of something by 99% (and potentially 99.9%, if they get the Falcon Heavy sorted, and re-use it 50 times...), then all kinds of things become possible that weren't before.

Internet provided by a swarm of 100 LEO satellites suddenly becomes a runner. (Historically, only geosynchrnous made sense, but that meant that ping times became very slow. Lots of LEO satellites could absolutely destroy traditional internet access models.)
    It's the next-generation systems from SpaceX that will really change the game - BFR etc.

I would expect at 1st stage reuse flights of F9 would be in the $30 million *price* range. At that price SpaceX makes a good profit, while charging less than anyone else can by a substantial margin
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,057
    rcs1000 said:

MikeK said:

Indeed. I think we might be on the verge of the most exciting period of space exploration since the end of the Apollo missions. So many new and speculative missions are opened up as launch costs decrease. An acquaintance is involved in planetary science, and she'd love a mission to prove her theories, but cost and priorities meant such missions were highly unlikely. Now, with better tech for satellites and cheaper launches, who knows?

With Bigelow and BEAM-related tech as well, then even manned flight might become more practical.

Although using the Shuttle as an example of an efficient project cost-wise is rather optimistic. Better to compare to similar Delta, Ariane and Soyuz launchers.

SpaceX are already altering the market. ESA have at least partially realised the danger, and are developing Adeline as part of the Ariane VI project: instead of returning the entire first stage for reuse, they just return the expensive bits.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adeline_(rocket)
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,356
    The premise of this piece is that Cameron supposedly thinks winning the referendum on EU membership is what will give him his place in history.

The reality is I seriously doubt it is in the top 10 things he wants to achieve as PM. It is yet another example of the sad obsessiveness that is going to lose out the vote.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

MikeK said:

It's the next-generation systems from SpaceX that will really change the game - BFR etc.

I would expect at 1st stage reuse flights of F9 would be in the $30 million *price* range. At that price SpaceX makes a good profit, while charging less than anyone else can by a substantial margin
    I suspect that's absolutely right: but even that is perhaps 60% cheaper than the cheapest alternative.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Toms said:

HYUFD said:
    A collection of mother in , the one on the left looks like a cross between the Golden Girls and Jabba the Hut
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,917
    DavidL said:

The premise of this piece is that Cameron supposedly thinks winning the referendum on EU membership is what will give him his place in history.

The reality is I seriously doubt it is in the top 10 things he wants to achieve as PM.

Those two things don't seem exclusive. Indeed, it is widely accepted he wanted nothing to do with a vote on EU membership, but having been unable to avoid it it will probably be significant in defining his premiership and thus his place in history, and so is it absurd he would not be taking extreme measures to ensure it goes the way he would prefer?
  • Options
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,356
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

The reality is I seriously doubt it is in the top 10 things he wants to achieve as PM.

Those two things don't seem exclusive. Indeed, it is widely accepted he wanted nothing to do with a vote on EU membership, but having been unable to avoid it it will probably be significant in defining his premiership and thus his place in history, and so is it absurd he would not be taking extreme measures to ensure it goes the way he would prefer?
    Yes. For at least 80% of the population in or out of the EU is not a big deal. I have no doubt that Cameron sees it that way and the idea it is setting the priorities of the government is absurd. It is an awkward and irritating party management matter, nothing more.
  • Options
    Toms said:
    Since Ed was Wallace, perhaps that explains Ed Stone: it was really a monolith they dug out of a cheese crater during their visit to the moon ...
  • Options
    Ted Cruz starts his 'Cruzin' to Caucus' Iowa Tour
    https://www.tedcruz.org/iowa/
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Toms said:

HYUFD said:
    A collection of mother in , the one on the left looks like a cross between the Golden Girls and Jabba the Hut
    Please don't go there.
  • Options
    Toms said:

HYUFD said:

Toms said:

HYUFD said:
    Please don't go there.
    Will leave it at that
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Scott_P said:

@RacingPost: BREAKING: ITV to replace Channel 4 as racing broadcaster next year https://t.co/pYHxQ6LJpN

@RacingPost: BREAKING: ITV wins rights to broadcast British racing from January 1, 2017 https://t.co/yKKNohAJVN

Channel 4 Racing has lost the plot and most of its audience over the last couple of years, not to mention forking out a big sack of cash for Formula One. Knowing racing's ability to shoot itself in the foot, ITV could be even worse.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Channel 4 Racing has lost the plot and most of its audience over the last couple of years, not to mention forking out a big sack of cash for Formula One. Knowing racing's ability to shoot itself in the foot, ITV could be even worse.
    I believe the bulk of the coverage will be on ITV4, that channel that most people don't even know exists...
  • Options

Scott_P said:

I believe the bulk of the coverage will be on ITV4, that channel that most people don't even know exists...
    ITV 4 do a very good job with the BTCC and support races.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

MikeK said:

Indeed. I think we might be on the verge of the most exciting period of space exploration since the end of the Apollo missions. So many new and speculative missions are opened up as launch costs decrease. An acquaintance is involved in planetary science, and she'd love a mission to prove her theories, but cost and priorities meant such missions were highly unlikely. Now, with better tech for satellites and cheaper launches, who knows?

With Bigelow and BEAM-related tech as well, then even manned flight might become more practical.

Although using the Shuttle as an example of an efficient project cost-wise is rather optimistic. Better to compare to similar Delta, Ariane and Soyuz launchers.

SpaceX are already altering the market. ESA have at least partially realised the danger, and are developing Adeline as part of the Ariane VI project: instead of returning the entire first stage for reuse, they just return the expensive bits.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adeline_(rocket)
    Adeline - weird design that looks like a fail aerodynamically. The comment from most experts was Advertising-Engineering. It was rushed out as a band aid to the fact that SpaceX hadn't failed yet.

Official ESA policy seems to re-usability cuts into payload too much (except that SpaceX advertised and sold payload capabilities already include 30% margin for resuablity) and will require lots of costly refurbishment.

The simple truth is that if F9R works out, nothing ESA has planned can compete.

To bring this back to EU/UK politics - look for the French in the very near future to demand that all satellites which are funded by EU governments or use government backing in some way(*) will have to use ESA rockets. This would be legal - would use the military/strategic opt out for the various free trade treaties.

*Many private satellites have government assistance with loan financing etc.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

Yes. For at least 80% of the population in or out of the EU is not a big deal. I have no doubt that Cameron sees it that way and the idea it is setting the priorities of the government is absurd. It is an awkward and irritating party management matter, nothing more.
    Party management seems to be all he ever does.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 2016

Scott_P said:

You kind of prove your point...I had no idea that BTCC was now on ITV4...I used to quite like that and been to it in person, but had no idea if / where it was shown these days.

That might be they are doing a good job and they have stuff like the footie on there too, but the ratings for ITV4 are shocking. On Freeview, it is so far down the EPG surrounded by s##t channels, that nobody gets there. Even when ITV had the champions league footie, I regularly forgot to check if a game was being shown on there.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Oh, FFS.

Some years ago I was talking to a large company director who complained that racing was impossible to do business with -- "like rugby union used to be".
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,508
    DavidL said:

The reality is I seriously doubt it is in the top 10 things he wants to achieve as PM. It is yet another example of the sad obsessiveness that is going to lose out the vote.

Actually, the Tim Montgomery peice says it may determine his place in history 'and' is uppermost in his mind. The conjunction doesn't imply a causal link. And Mike doesn't offer any speculation as to Cameron's motives at all.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Toms said:

HYUFD said:
    Saw the new Star Wars again today, for the second and third time, in Leicester Square. First saw it two weeks ago in Coventry.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
    edited January 2016
    OT. I think I've just seen the worst film of 2016 and we're only on day 1. A dismal performance by Eddie Redmayne not helped by a script that presumed a sex change from man to woman involved becoming a simpering self obsessed moron.

'The Danish Girl's' only saving grace was its beautiful art direction and a fine performance by Redmayne's co star Alicia Vikander.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Re ITV4 and showing a lot of sport on there. They have a problem in that ITV4 is clearly supposed to be the "blokes" channel for ITV, with sport and re-re-re-re-re-runs of things like Minder.

The problem they have is they don't have enough sport to brand it is solely a sports channel and so it is hard to really know ahead of time for the casual viewer if ITV4 will be showing current live sport or 40 year old tv shows.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,508

HYUFD said:

Toms said:

HYUFD said:
    Saw the new Star Wars again today, for the second and third time, in Leicester Square. First saw it two weeks ago in Coventry.
    I wasn't too impressed. Wonderful visuals. Meh everything else.
  • Options

Adeline - weird design that looks like a fail aerodynamically. The comment from most experts was Advertising-Engineering. It was rushed out as a band aid to the fact that SpaceX hadn't failed yet.

Official ESA policy seems to re-usability cuts into payload too much (except that SpaceX advertised and sold payload capabilities already include 30% margin for resuablity) and will require lots of costly refurbishment.

To bring this back to EU/UK politics - look for the French in the very near future to demand that all satellites which are funded by EU governments or use government backing in some way(*) will have to use ESA rockets. This would be legal - would use the military/strategic opt out for the various free trade treaties.

Thanks. I thought Adeline, whilst a reaction to SpaceX, wasn't quite such a mess. At least they are looking at ways of reducing cost, even if it is ten years too late (or twenty, given when the DCX Clipper was around)

SpaceX might well become a poster-boy for private enterprise: doing things cheaper than governments and their lackeys can.

I'm not sure I like France's suggestion.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

You kind of prove your point...I had no idea that BTCC was now on ITV4...I used to quite like that and been to it in person, but had no idea if / where it was shown these days.

That might be they are doing a good job and they have stuff like the footie on there too, but the ratings for ITV4 are shocking. On Freeview, it is so far down the EPG surrounded by s##t channels, that nobody gets there. Even when ITV had the champions league footie, I regularly forgot to check if a game was being shown on there.
    Fair enough. Although in these days of multi- and converging media, the concepts of broadcast channels themselves is becoming muddier.
  • Options

Now seen it 4 times, in 4 different cinemas.

Today was definitely the best so far
  • Options

Scott_P said:

British Transport Commission.... Commission???
  • Options
    The dichotomy is interesting, that a creature several billion in evolution (us) gets ever more speed obsessed. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that our species comprises short-lived individuals.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

Scott_P said:

Fair enough. Although in these days of multi- and converging media, the concepts of broadcast channels themselves is becoming muddier.
    It is and why you need a clear "brand" if you run traditional tv channels. Dave seems to have done quite well in that respect and ITV did quite well with ITV2 (TOWIE and all that rubbish), everybody knows what they will get if they flick to especially the Dave channel.

If you notice Sky also now like to temporarily rebrand some of their channels like at the moment Sky Sport Darts and they do the same for movies.

ITV4 on the other hand is an absolute lottery. Maybe they have a grand plan, but if it is just sticking racing into the schedules of ITV4, I can foresee the viewing figures being awful.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

:)

British Touring Car Championship. It, and its support races, are far better than F1 IMO. And I generally love F1.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    DavidL said:

Given the possible permutations over how the Tory Party is going to react to this referendum winning doesn't do much for Cameron's place in history.

However, losing would be a hammer blow to his reputation.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Now seen it 4 times, in 4 different cinemas.

Today was definitely the best so far
    Honestly, it has grown on me since that first screening.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

British Touring Car Championship. It, and its support races, are far better than F1 IMO. And I generally love F1.
    Oh you mean "Rally" :)
  • Options

Scott_P said:

It was a cracking day out when I have been, better than F1 IMO.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Toms said:

HYUFD said:
    Glad it isn't just me that thought that. Not liking Star Wars and saying so to my friends, I imagine it is probably a bit like being a UKIP voter, who works for the BBC...
  • Options

Scott_P said:

It was a cracking day out when I have been, better than F1 IMO.
    I haven't been for a while. Perhaps if the little 'un gets into cars and racing ...
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806

Mr. 1983, Conservatives would be daft to take Carswell back. They've set a good precedent for defections to UKIP [from a blue perspective], and just letting Carswell return would provide a safety net for those contemplating defection. Better for them to think of Reckless' fate.

When he was a Tory and appeared on the box Carswell never supported the Party's policies. Probably why the Beeb decided to have him on.

• Options
    What channel is WRC (World Rally Championships) shown on these days? Once upon a time, WRC was really popular, but I don't see it on any coverage on the major channels.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

What channel is WRC (World Rally Championships) shown on these days? Once upon a time, WRC was really popular, but I don't see it on any coverage on the major channels.

ITV4 and BT, apparently. http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/january-2015/british-tv/page/2081--12-12-.html
  • Options
    Elon Musk has quite honestly shown more vision, been prepared to risk his fortune multiple times, and has more imagination, more interesting ideas and frankly more will than any other billionaire about.
  • Options

Thanks. I thought Adeline, whilst a reaction to SpaceX, wasn't quite such a mess. At least they are looking at ways of reducing cost, even if it is ten years too late (or twenty, given when the DCX Clipper was around)

SpaceX might well become a poster-boy for private enterprise: doing things cheaper than governments and their lackeys can.

I'm not sure I like France's suggestion.
    Adeline wasn't a serious look at anything - a bit of poorly rendered web art that won't get mentioned again.

That's not a suggestion by France - just what they will do, when faced with a collapse in the order book for ESA if/when that happens...
  • Options
    Sunil

"Now seen it 4 times, in 4 different cinemas."

Star Wars!!

........When I said The Danish Girl was crap...I didn't mean it was as bad as Star Wars.

What could you possibly have missed on first viewing?
  • Options

ITV4 and BT, apparently. http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/january-2015/british-tv/page/2081--12-12-.html
    I lost interest in WRC when Rally GB moved to be Rally Wales around 2000. Not because I dislike Wales, but because as a casual observer I couldn't be bothered travelling that far to view them.
  • Options
    perdix said:

When he was a Tory and appeared on the box Carswell never supported the Party's policies. Probably why the Beeb decided to have him on.

There was a marvelously funny story to the effect that he was invited for one program and defended the government policy in question. The person responsible for the invite furiously cornered him and asked why he'd defended such a policy, since he was a right wing Tory. Carswell pointed out that he'd recommended the policy in question in his book......
  • Options
    His biggest upcoming problem in the satellite launch market will probably be more political than technical, as ULA are quite deeply ingrained with various bods, also downthread the ESA may well go for a bit of protectionism (See the CAP !)
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

His biggest upcoming problem in the satellite launch market will probably be more political than technical, as ULA are quite deeply ingrained with various bods, also downthread the ESA may well go for a bit of protectionism (See the CAP !)

The vast reduction in cost for launching will open up new satellite markets. And he has his own uses for them as well (or at least the Raptor?-powered beasts.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

perdix said:

There was a marvelously funny story to the effect that he was invited for one program and defended the government policy in question. The person responsible for the invite furiously cornered him and asked why he'd defended such a policy, since he was a right wing Tory. Carswell pointed out that he'd recommended the policy in question in his book......
    That isn't the only time. I have heard Carswell say that at one point it was a fairly regular occurrence. The Beeboids couldn't get their head around that he isn't a younger version of Bill Cash i.e awkward squad for awkward anti-EU sake, he has a particular world version, much of which is outlined in The Plan, and it is in some part quite liberal in others right-wing.

It is also why he runs into trouble with Farage e.g immigrants with HIV/AIDs.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Watch it again and find out...
  • Options
    I think I need to go and have a lie down, I agree with Roger on something....
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Elon Musk has quite honestly shown more vision, been prepared to risk his fortune multiple times, and has more imagination, more interesting ideas and frankly more will than any other billionaire about.

Apart from the $5 billion in US government subsidies, presumably.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

He became a medium/low end millionaire from PayPal. Then bet it all on Tesla and SpaceX - with a side helping of SolarCity. That's what's made him a billionaire.

Talking of black swans - consider this:

In the 2020 timeframe, Telsa will be in full production of their model 3 - the £20K, 300 mile range electric car. 300 miles for £2 of electricity.... How long before the politicians panic in this country?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    PBers troubled by government alcohol limits may like to read my colleagues blog on the subject. His comment below the line is particularly pertinent:

http://www.badmed.net/bad-medicine-blog/2011/10/through-glass-amber-nectar-darkly.html
  • Options

perdix said:

That isn't the only time. I have heard Carswell say that at one point it was a fairly regular occurrence. The Beeboids couldn't get their head around that he isn't a younger version of Bill Cash i.e awkward squad for awkward anti-EU sake, he has a particular world version, much of which is outlined in The Plan, and it is in some part quite liberal in others right-wing.

He wrote on his blog that they would ask him before inviting him (after that) if he would oppose whatever the government was proposing. If he said no - no invite....
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

He became a medium/low end millionaire from PayPal. Then bet it all on Tesla and SpaceX - with a side helping of SolarCity. That's what's made him a billionaire.

Talking of black swans - consider this:

In the 2020 timeframe, Telsa will be in full production of their model 3 - the £20K, 300 mile range electric car. 300 miles for £2 of electricity.... How long before the politicians panic in this country?
    I'm a cynic about Tesla. But I've been proven wrong about them before, and I reckon the bastards will prove me wrong again ... :)
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Roger said:

I'd rather watch a re run of Thatcher's 1979 drive to the palace in in slow motion
  • Options

perdix said:

He wrote on his blog that they would ask him before inviting him (after that) if he would oppose whatever the government was proposing. If he said no - no invite....
    The BBC is required to be politically balanced which means (rightly or wrongly) they line up an MP in favour and an MP against.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
  • Options
    Even worse now its a case of 35% being ambitious. Oh how low they've fallen ...
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    SLAB hit the self-destruct button for the 20th time:

https://twitter.com/ProfTomkins/status/683028880190521344

Meanwhile SCUP remain in Basil Fawlty don't mention the "Referendum" mode !!
  • Options

perdix said:

The BBC is required to be politically balanced which means (rightly or wrongly) they line up an MP in favour and an MP against.
    But it also means that many MPs are only called onto prime time TV if they oppose their party...

I would have lied, personally.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

HYUFD said:

Toms said:

HYUFD said:
    Glad it isn't just me that thought that. Not liking Star Wars and saying so to my friends, I imagine it is probably a bit like being a UKIP voter, who works for the BBC...
    The prequels are starting to look quite good in comparison to the mess that is TFA.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013

perdix said:

This is such an obvious point. Imagine the moans and whines here if the BBC lined up two speakers to support some policy PB Tories don't like.
  • Options
    EPG said:

perdix said:

This is such an obvious point. Imagine the moans and whines here if the BBC lined up two speakers to support some policy PB Tories don't like.
    They quite frequently have a couple of people on - an opposition MP and an "independent" "expert" from a charity/think tank who turns out to be not quite so independent of politics
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

HYUFD said:

Toms said:

HYUFD said:
    The prequels are starting to look quite good in comparison to the mess that is TFA.
    It is, basically a remake of the original, first film.

Mind you I was puzzled why Young Sherlock Holmes has turned to the dark side...
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,879
    surbiton said:

If there’s one part of the UK that probably wasn’t waking up with a pounding headache and a sense of regret this morning, it was Foula, a Shetland Island that has yet to celebrate Christmas or New Year.
    The residents of Foula celebrate the festive season according to the old Julian calendar, which means Christmas, or ‘Yule’ falls on 6 January and New Year’s Day falls on 13 January.

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2016/01/01/theres-a-place-in-britain-that-still-hasnt-celebrated-christmas-or-new-year-5595838/#ixzz3w0wjaC8t
    Electricity, internet ?

Of course.

• Options
    Scott_P said:

Roger said:

I wasn't sure of my feelings about it on first viewing (liked a lot of it, but was ambivalent about some aspects), but was much more positive about it on second viewing - the flaws that were there I felt, on reflection, did not ruin it and were more due to my own expectations, though I can understand why some people would dislike the movie for them.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Roger said:

I wasn't sure of my feelings about it on first viewing (liked a lot of it, but was ambivalent about some aspects), but was much more positive about it on second viewing - the flaws that were there I felt, on reflection, did not ruin it and were more due to my own expectations, though I can understand why some people would dislike the movie for them.
    I'm watching it for the first time in a few hours. Hopefully it wont be crap.
  • Options
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Roger said:

"Watch your mouth, kid, or you'll find youself floating home!" :lol:
  • Options

RobD said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Roger said:

"Watch your mouth, kid, or you'll find youself floating home!" :lol:
    I hope that's not a spoiler :p
  • Options
    Roger said:

Sunil

"Now seen it 4 times, in 4 different cinemas."

Star Wars!!

........When I said The Danish Girl was crap...I didn't mean it was as bad as Star Wars.

That was Scott P!

I've only seen it three times!
  • Options
    HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!

I agree with Mike. There's a big danger we get a full five years of poor government, as Cammo engages in pre-election 'no hard decisions' behaviour for both halves of the parliament! Maybe I'm atypical but these sorts of shenanigans just look weak. The Tories won re-election because they were willing to stick their necks out, so its a shame if they start getting the willies. Just govern properly and then let the public make their judgement!

P.S. Star Wars is great and only bitter old farts don't appreciate it!
  • Options
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Roger said:

Episodes IV, V, VI and VII = AV

Episodes I, II,III = FPTP
  • Options

RobD said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Roger said:

Yes, I did quite enjoy the prequels..... ;)
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Roger said:

Yes, I did quite enjoy the prequels..... ;)
    Or for political anoraks

Episodes IV, V, VI and VII = David Cameron

Episodes I, II,III = The bastard lovechild of Ed Miliband and Jeremy Corbyn
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,373
    edited January 2016

RobD said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Roger said:

Episodes IV, V, VI and VII = FPTP

Episodes I, II,III = AV
    Corrected it for you!

Remember, the Great British Public rejected AV by 68% to 32% in 2011....
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

HYUFD said:

Toms said:

HYUFD said:
    Disagree with that, I was bored rigid in The Phantom Menace but The Force Awakens kept me engaged throughout, it is probably not the best Star Wars film but certainly the best since Return of the Jedi
  • Options
    EPG said:

perdix said:

Something they do all the time. The BBC considers itself the unofficial opposition to the right of centre in this country and will always try to produce commentators and speakers who can be assured of taking a stance against either Tory or UKIP positions, preferably with no response from the Right.

I should also say that I believe they follow the same policy with the SNP and will happily put up unionist commentators with no pro-independence voice.

It goes without saying that the same applies to anything to do with the Euroscepticism.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Roger said:

OT. I think I've just seen the worst film of 2016 and we're only on day 1. A dismal performance by Eddie Redmayne not helped by a script that presumed a sex change from man to woman involved becoming a simpering self obsessed moron.

'The Danish Girl's' only saving grace was its beautiful art direction and a fine performance by Redmayne's co star Alicia Vikander.

Am going to give that a miss, though I quite liked him 'In the Theory of Everything' this one looks pretty dull, I will be going to see In the Heart of the Sea instead this weekend which at least promises some action
  • Options
    perdix said:

This is of course utter bollocks.

According to the Public Whip Carswell voted against his party in 2.6% of the votes between 2005 and 2010. This increased to 7.7% between 2010 and his defection. Hardly surprising given he was becoming increasingly unhappy with Cameron's policies.

But the idea he never supported the Party's policies is just fantasy.
This discussion has been closed.