Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Cross-over voting could be the biggest threat to Trump in N

SystemSystem Posts: 11,687
edited December 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Cross-over voting could be the biggest threat to Trump in New Hampshire the 1st full primary state:

One of the hardest thing for many in Britain to understand is that each state in the US operates its primaries differently. Iowa has it caucuses where the party choices are determined in 1,600 precinct meeting across the state. The organisation of these is carried out by the parties.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,003
    First, and as I'll probably be out of convenient internet access for a few days, my last.on this topic!

Was it cross-overs/three quidders which got Corbyn elected?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    edited December 2015
    FPT

Is this the beginning of the end for Corbyn, or the beginning of the end for the Labour Party?

Daily Mail: Get rid of Corbyn or we'll quit! Dozens of moderate Labour MPs 'ready to leave Parliament'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3376857/Get-rid-Corbyn-ll-quit-Dozens-moderate-Labour-MPs-ready-leave-Parliament.html

Quitting in 2020 achieves nothing. They need to act now. 50 resignations now - 50 by-elections with them standing as Independent Labour. Now that would be a challenge.

This is probably the end of the beginning for Corbyn. He can have his purge next week and then we enter the next phase.
    An interesting trade off, given that Corbyn controls the timing of the by-elections: do you have a mass by-election day with 50 candidates or not?

I suspect the craftier thing to do is to dribble them out, perhaps starting with 3-4 where you know you can get an easy win for the "official" Labour party [i.e. where the local infrastructure remains loyal] to snuff out any momentum

But it's not going to happen. cf James Purnell.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Charles said:

FPT

Is this the beginning of the end for Corbyn, or the beginning of the end for the Labour Party?

Daily Mail: Get rid of Corbyn or we'll quit! Dozens of moderate Labour MPs 'ready to leave Parliament'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3376857/Get-rid-Corbyn-ll-quit-Dozens-moderate-Labour-MPs-ready-leave-Parliament.html

Quitting in 2020 achieves nothing. They need to act now. 50 resignations now - 50 by-elections with them standing as Independent Labour. Now that would be a challenge.

This is probably the end of the beginning for Corbyn. He can have his purge next week and then we enter the next phase.
    An interesting trade off, given that Corbyn controls the timing of the by-elections: do you have a mass by-election day with 50 candidates or not?

I suspect the craftier thing to do is to dribble them out, perhaps starting with 3-4 where you know you can get an easy win for the "official" Labour party [i.e. where the local infrastructure remains loyal] to snuff out any momentum

If they resign the whip first and then resign their seats, Corbyn loses control of the by-election as it would be an independent MP who has quit...

There are ways to mess with him big style - if they have got the balls
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,442

Charles said:

FPT

If they resign the whip first and then resign their seats, Corbyn loses control of the by-election as it would be an independent MP who has quit...

I don't see this.

As Labour unwinds from it's historical high point (the Atlee government - which imposed a savage austerity undreamed of by G Osborne....) it has become ever more insistent about being a moral crusade. For something. And one can never leave the crusade - it is a blood oath....

Blair seemed to offer them a chance to become the SPD(*) of UK politics. They can't go that way, again. That road is blocked.

All they have left is screaming "we are not the Tories". Louder and louder. Anyone who leaves will be a heretic to the faith. All such will be stoned to death....

Labour is lucky in one thing - that UKIP is fringe party which hasn't reached the organisational level of the Greens. Otherwise it would go through them like a chainsaw through cheese.

(*) Not a mis-spelling
  • Options
    Kevin_McCandlessKevin_McCandless Posts: 392
    edited December 2015
    Since these hypothetical Democrats probably wouldn't vote for Cruz or Rubio either, who would they support? Why, of course, for that favorite son of the Empire State and one of the few high-profile pro-choice Republicans around.

George Pataki, come on down. Your moment has arrived at last.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    (Previous Thread)

Perhaps general elections would be more fun and more exciting if there were literally no opinion polls. I don't mean that opinion polls were banned - in which case they would be done illicitly and by convoluted means, and the results leaked anyway - but a hypothetical world in which it has literally never occurred to anyone to do an opinion poll. People would have rough expectations of what they think the result will be, but getting the results coming in would be the exciting and revealing bit much more than it is now.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

AndyJS said:

viewcode said:

AndyJS said:

My favourite Charles Dance performance was in the 1988 BBC TV series "First Born" (which I think is available to watch on YouTube). One of the creepiest things I've ever watched.

Christ, I thought I was the only one who remembered that!
    John Loony is a big fan of it as well IIRC.
    I learn something new every day, thank you.
    It was broadcast in 1988 but the three episodes were set in 1975, 1980 and 1993 - so it was partly futuristic science-fiction. It was sort-of creepy if you're squeamish, but it was essentially a morality story in warning what can happen if scientists play with technology without thinking through the consequences. I remember the usual narrow-mined people writing in to "Points of View" to say how disgusting it was, even before they had watched it.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Morning and sorry to go OT so soon however....

Lemmy Kilmister, the lead singer and bassist of Motörhead and a heavy metal icon for six decades, passed away Monday after a battle with cancer. Kilmister turned 70 on Christmas Eve.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/lemmy-kilmister-motorhead-singer-and-heavy-metal-legend-dead-at-70-20151228#ixzz3vgKR0Pez

RIP
  • Options
    (From Previous Thread)

You would have to be aged 105 or above to have known the UK out of the EEC/EU etc for most of your adult life if the referendum is next year. I doubt that don't know centurions are that large a swing vote.

There are far more don't-know centenarians than don't-know centurions.
  • Options

Charles said:

FPT

The convention that the former MP's party controls when the by-election is is just that: a convention. If no new party had been formed, on the assumption that these MPs want the moderates to retake control of Labour rather than form an alternative, then Corbyn (or Rosie Winterton) would probably be well within their rights to move the writs anyway.
  • Options
    On topic, it's a scenario worth watching for but one to keep in the back rather than the forefront of the mind.

Tactical voting and gameplaying is a complex business and a natural supporters of Party / Candidate A will only support B to stop C if:

1. There is a natural alignment of interests between A and B.
    2. B is seen as a close second preference to A, with C much more disliked.
    3. B is seen as having a good chance of beating C, while A is not.

One reason why the Lib Dems did so disastrously in 2015 is because they'd built up sizable tactical votes based on the above assumptions, which then all fell apart this year.

In the US it's even more complex given that there are two simultaneous contests, one for each party, which means that there's a fourth criterion: that the opportunity cost in voting for B to stop C does not excessively adversely affect candidate A in the parallel race.

Mike's assertion that "if the objective is to stop Trump then it will be the Republican opponent who looks best able to win [who will benefit most]" is right but it's a mighty big 'if'. Are Democrats really that keen to drop Cruz or Rubio into the nomination when they may well be stronger candidates and are of the Republican right (and very much so in Cruz's case)? Besides, at the moment there is no candidate who looks best able to stop Trump: they're too closely clustered.

And then there's the impact Mike rightly notes on the Democrat race. While on the one hand Hillary looks to have the nomination all but sown up, that's not reflected in NH itself. Sanders could easily win there and is almost certain to poll strongly. Put another way, Democrats in the state do have an interest in influencing their own race: will they see the Republican contest as so critical that it overrides their ability to vote for Hillary or Sanders and potentially hand that contest to their less-favoured candidate?

Finally, there's the mechanics of this: how is it to come about? Organic, voter-driven dynamics are just about the only way. No candidate could endorse such a scheme which would look desperate and would in all probability be counter-productive (or at the least, an ineffective way of spending cash). Can such a grass-roots campaign be effective? Again, it's asking a lot.

However, having said all that, the Democrat contest is on a knife-edge with just a couple of points in it, so even small factors need to be taken into account and if there is differential switching between Hillary's and Sanders' supporters, that may affect the outcome, particularly as - as Mike implies - it's Hillary's supporters, with their eye on November, who'd be most likely to crossover.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    I'd have thought cross-over voting would favour Trump!
  • Options

Charles said:

FPT

The convention that the former MP's party controls when the by-election is is just that: a convention. If no new party had been formed, on the assumption that these MPs want the moderates to retake control of Labour rather than form an alternative, then Corbyn (or Rosie Winterton) would probably be well within their rights to move the writs anyway.
    In December 2010 the LDs moved the writ for Oldham E & Saddleworth even though it was ostensibly a Labour seat. Any one of the 650 MPs has the power to move the writ when a vacancy occurs.

• Options
    The latest New Hampshire poll from ARG has Trump's lead over Rubio at just 6%
    Trump 21
    Rubio 15
    Christie 12
    Cruz 10
    Kasich 13
    Bush 7
    Carson 6
    Fiorina 5
    Paul 4
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    edited December 2015

In December 2010 the LDs moved the writ for Oldham E & Saddleworth even though it was ostensibly a Labour seat. Any one of the 650 MPs has the power to move the writ when a vacancy occurs.

The whole business of writ-moving is anachronistic and ought to be changed anyway. Rather than the silly sort of game-playing for the most convenient date, it'd have been far more sensible if it had been included in one of the electoral reform bills that by-elections occur on a date prescribed in law, as GE's now do. For example,

A by-election will be held on the eighth Thursday following a vacancy unless:
    - That date falls between the fourth Thursday in July and the first Thursday in September (inclusive), in which case the election will be the second Thursday in September.
    - That date falls between the fourth Thursday in December and the second Thursday in January (inclusive), in which case the election will be the third Thursday in January.
    - A scheduled election covering the entire district for which the vacancy exists is already scheduled at a point between four and eight weeks ahead. In such circumstances, the new by-election shall be held concurrently with the already scheduled election.
    - The election would be scheduled within the last four months of the natural term of the former office-holder, in which the vacancy will be left open until the naturally-scheduled election,

Or some such similar set of rules.
  • Options

The latest New Hampshire poll from ARG has Trump's lead over Rubio at just 6%
    Trump 21
    Rubio 15
    Christie 12
    Cruz 10
    Kasich 13
    Bush 7
    Carson 6
    Fiorina 5
    Paul 4

True, although that's a 5-point increase in Trump's lead with ARG over their previous poll.

Even if their figures are right (and from memory, ARG don't have the best track record), with four candidates in the 10-15 range, there's no clear rival to Trump for tactical voters to unite around. Rubio is second here but Cruz was second in the latest CBS poll, while Christie has also scored a second place this month with Kasich also in the mix.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    Morning. Surely Democrat leaners would like to see Trump as the Republican candidate, in the same way as the Tories in the UK would like to see Corbyn stay until the next General Election?
  • Options

Charles said:

FPT

Yes, but Labour MPs have demonstrated a serious inability to do that in recent years, remember when Purnell resigned on his own?

If they really have the balls then half plus one defections will rob Corbyn of the LotO title, but again I can't see the MPs having anything but loyalty to their party even as it is taken over around them. By the time the deselections start it will be too late.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Charles said:

FPT

Yes, but Labour MPs have demonstrated a serious inability to do that in recent years, remember when Purnell resigned on his own?

If they really have the balls then half plus one defections will rob Corbyn of the LotO title, but again I can't see the MPs having anything but loyalty to their party even as it is taken over around them. By the time the deselections start it will be too late.

Thanks to FPTP Labour MPs that want a centre left alternative to the Tories have little choice but to remain with Labour. There is more chance that deluded members will come to their senses than there is that a new party will get anywhere. The hard left remains a rump and can be defeated.

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

The hard left remains a rump and can be defeated.

How, when they control all the key Party machinery?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Because in the end it does come down to the members - most of whom are not on the far left. Currently, they are in a state of grief-stricken delusion and have convinced themselves nice, polite Mr Corbyn wants nothing more than a civilised debate and a broad church, and that everything is Tony Blair's fault. That will not always be the case. Trade unions, especially, have a hell of a lot to lose from perpetual Tory rule.

• Options

Sandpit said:

Charles said:

FPT

Thanks to FPTP Labour MPs that want a centre left alternative to the Tories have little choice but to remain with Labour. There is more chance that deluded members will come to their senses than there is that a new party will get anywhere. The hard left remains a rump and can be defeated.
    An interesting perspective. How long do you think the party members will favour ideological purity over electability though, and what will the moderates do if they all get deselected once the boundary changes come in?

There must be a reasonable chance in a few safe seats of the popular incumbent MP standing as an independent if deselected, or will they all meekly disappear?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

They need to persuade the unions, though the left seem to have as much of a grasp there too, and it's harder for moderates to take them back given the other issues involved in union elections.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    edited December 2015
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Charles said:

FPT

An interesting perspective. How long do you think the party members will favour ideological purity over electability though, and what will the moderates do if they all get deselected once the boundary changes come in?

There must be a reasonable chance in a few safe seats of the popular incumbent MP standing as an independent if deselected, or will they all meekly disappear?

A few (Frank Field, say) might be able to stand and win, but most would not have the name recognition or the apparatus to run as Independent Labour, and would merely split the party's vote.

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,006

A few (Frank Field, say) might be able to stand and win, but most would not have the name recognition or the apparatus to run as Independent Labour, and would merely split the party's vote.

You'd need someone with:

- a reasonable Labour majority to defend
    - a centrist local party
    - a good personal reputation

and it might be nice if you also had a local LibDem vote to squeeze. (Not that there are many seats like that anymore.)
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    edited December 2015
    O/T

I don't know what the BBC license fee is these days, but I can assure you that BBC America is doing its best to increase its revenue.

The beeb fired Clarkson last March, but Beeb America still show about 15 episodes of Top Gear each week. In addition we've had Best of Top Gear, Top Gear - Epic Fails, compered by Hammond, Top Gear Top 41, compered by Hammond, and recently Top Gear - The presenters, with two episodes each on Hammond, May and Clarkson. All except the Top Gear original episodes and Best of are copyrighted BBC America, but I assume they've made their way to the UK.

Tonight they showed series 22, including the sad final episode. The first commercial in every break was Matt Leblanc explaining that he refused to work on compilation show Top Gear:The Races until they gave him a signed photo of James May. It starts in a couple of weeks.

So full marks for them maximizing their properties. I hope it reduces the licence fee, but have my doubts.

I was half asleep listening to BBC World Service but am sure I heard that Amazon Prime got 30 million new subscribers worldwide over the Christmas period. If true that is phenomenal.

The boys have now started shooting for their Prime show.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

You'd need someone with:

- a reasonable Labour majority to defend
    - a centrist local party
    - a good personal reputation

and it might be nice if you also had a local LibDem vote to squeeze. (Not that there are many seats like that anymore.)
    Thinking that over: if they had a centrist local party, then they wouldn't have been deselected in the first place. D'oh!
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Charles said:

FPT

I think the fate of the UKIP MPs shows how little personal vote actually exists. Carswell defected with his back up staff in a Kipper friendly constituency, and only just scraped home.

I don't think there is great demand out there for an SDP 2 like there was in 1981 either. Dave Cameron is no Thatcher.
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

Mr. B, could be wrong, but I think filming started a couple of months ago.

That 30 million will include people who would've got Amazon Prime anyway (it gets pushed an obnoxious amount when you're checking out), but it still sounds pretty high. The viewing figures exceeded 300m, indeed, they exceeded the F1 global audience. Be interesting to see the approach Amazon takes on series DVDs.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Charles said:

Agree with you about Field, I'd vote for him. Do the moderate MPs think that the deselections won't happen? They only need to look at the Syria vote, where a "free vote" turned out not to be free of consequences for those who chose to exercise it on a matter of conscience.

It seems clear that Corbyn and his fellow travellers won't stop until they have expunged anyone with remotely mainstream views from the party, why don't the moderate MPs have the balls to stand up to it? Will the rumoured reshuffle focus their minds I wonder, with rumoured promotion for Diane Abbot and talk of Livingstone and Galloway being back in the party, they must realise that they have to act now or never - if only to save their own careers!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    The last New Hampshire poll from ARG actually had Trump doing slightly better with independents than Republicans in New Hampshire. In any case just as there were 'Tories for Corbyn' there may well be 'Democrats for Trump' who may well vote in the GOP primary to help him beat Rubio, a more dangerous opponent for them
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

Mr. B, could be wrong, but I think filming started a couple of months ago.

That 30 million will include people who would've got Amazon Prime anyway (it gets pushed an obnoxious amount when you're checking out), but it still sounds pretty high. The viewing figures exceeded 300m, indeed, they exceeded the F1 global audience. Be interesting to see the approach Amazon takes on series DVDs.

Mornin' Mr Dancer.

You may be right, all I know is they are filming. The production company is apparently W Chump and Sons Ltd. Sounds like Clarkson.

I didn't mean to suggest that they all are getting prime to see carshow with no name yet.

Prime has been a huge success for Amazon regardless of the boys.

Netflix produces House of Cards dvds, so I expect Amazon will too. Revenue is revenue. Unlike House of Cards, which releases the whole series at once, the Prime series will be released an episode each week.
  • Options

Charles said:

FPT

I don't see this.

As Labour unwinds from it's historical high point (the Atlee government - which imposed a savage austerity undreamed of by G Osborne....) it has become ever more insistent about being a moral crusade. For something. And one can never leave the crusade - it is a blood oath....

Blair seemed to offer them a chance to become the SPD(*) of UK politics. They can't go that way, again. That road is blocked.

All they have left is screaming "we are not the Tories". Louder and louder. Anyone who leaves will be a heretic to the faith. All such will be stoned to death....

Labour is lucky in one thing - that UKIP is fringe party which hasn't reached the organisational level of the Greens. Otherwise it would go through them like a chainsaw through cheese.

(*) Not a mis-spelling
    Albeit the Attlee government nationalised almost everything in site unlike Osborne
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Charles said:

Agree with you about Field, I'd vote for him. Do the moderate MPs think that the deselections won't happen? They only need to look at the Syria vote, where a "free vote" turned out not to be free of consequences for those who chose to exercise it on a matter of conscience.

It seems clear that Corbyn and his fellow travellers won't stop until they have expunged anyone with remotely mainstream views from the party, why don't the moderate MPs have the balls to stand up to it? Will the rumoured reshuffle focus their minds I wonder, with rumoured promotion for Diane Abbot and talk of Livingstone and Galloway being back in the party, they must realise that they have to act now or never - if only to save their own careers!
    Livingstone is still a Labour member isn't he - he was allowed back under Blair and is co-chairing Labour's defence review.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

The last New Hampshire poll from ARG actually had Trump doing slightly better with independents than Republicans in New Hampshire. In any case just as there were 'Tories for Corbyn' there may well be 'Democrats for Trump' who may well vote in the GOP primary to help him beat Rubio, a more dangerous opponent for them

Trump attracts many people who have never bothered to vote before, and there is a vague concern on how many of his people will actually turn out, particularly in the peculiar oddness that is the Iowa caucuses, which takes a lot longer than merely casting a vote in a primary.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Charles said:

FPT

I don't see this.

(*) Not a mis-spelling
    Albeit the Attlee government nationalised almost everything in site unlike Osborne
    almost everything in site

;)
  • Options
    The Times reports Tory donor Alexander Temerko, who had given £300000 to the party, has warned the party risks losing if it picks Osborne as leader and has vowed to give a large donation to Boris' leadership campaign instead. He also warns Labour could well replace Corbyn before 2020
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

Charles said:

FPT

I don't see this.

(*) Not a mis-spelling

;)
    Sight then, I will blame the smartphone predictive text
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

Charles said:

FPT

I don't see this.

(*) Not a mis-spelling

;)
    We've all done it - just couldn't resist a smile
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

Trump attracts many people who have never bothered to vote before, and there is a vague concern on how many of his people will actually turn out, particularly in the peculiar oddness that is the Iowa caucuses, which takes a lot longer than merely casting a vote in a primary.
    I think Cruz will likely win Iowa though it will be tight but New Hampshire and South Carolina will see some new voters backing Trump in all likelihood, like Corbyn he seems to have attracted some new supporters who have not previously voted in internal party battles
  • Options
    Jeremy Corbyn has called for annual TV debates with the PM and other party leaders
  • Options
    Just found out that cruise ship Oasis of the Seas loads 10,000 rolls of toilet paper for a 7 day cruise.
  • Options
    A band of 4 MPs, comprising Pete Wishart of the SNP, Kevin Brennan of Labour and Tories Sir Greg Knight and former Labour MP Ian Cawsey are budding to represent the UK in the Eurovision song contest
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Prepared for the novovirus :open_mouth:
    Tim_B said:

Just found out that cruise ship Oasis of the Seas loads 10,000 rolls of toilet paper for a 7 day cruise.

• Options
    @PolhomeEditor: John McDonnell refuses to say H Benn will keep his job: "The future Labour administration will be determined by the leader of the party."
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

A band of 4 MPs, comprising Pete Wishart of the SNP, Kevin Brennan of Labour and Tories Sir Greg Knight and former Labour MP Ian Cawsey are budding to represent the UK in the Eurovision song contest

budding - you need a new phone ;)

Interesting thought though - beats that Israeli transvestite.
  • Options

Prepared for the novovirus :open_mouth:

Tim_B said:

Just proves it's a going concern :lol:
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Jeremy Corbyn has called for annual TV debates with the PM and other party leaders

Does he think that people will come to love him more when they really find out what he believes in?

Dave should immediately call his bluff, say it's a fantastic idea and he's looking forward to the first debate!
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Does he think that people will come to love him more when they really find out what he believes in?

Dave should immediately call his bluff, say it's a fantastic idea and he's looking forward to the first debate!
    Think of the discussions on format, who stands where, how long the debate would be, rebuttal rules, design of the set, interlocutors etc. Hours of endless fun and entertainment.
  • Options
    Mr. HYUFD, saw that on the papers last night. Vacuous tosh. Debates are bad enough in an election.

Still, better for Corbyn to discuss that than his friends in Hamas, his unilateralism, desire to abolish the army or quoting Mao.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@PolhomeEditor: John McDonnell refuses to say H Benn will keep his job: "The future Labour administration will be determined by the leader of the party."

To be fair, no (shadow) cabinet minister could say any different about any member of it.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

Charles said:

FPT

I don't see this.

(*) Not a mis-spelling

;)
    Something for me to look forward to when my son lets me have his current smartphone (there's a family cascade in prospect, alas) :(

• Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited December 2015
    Scott_P said:

Morning all,

Labour MPs facing the chop next week include Rosie Winterton, chief whip - Alan Campbell, deputy chief whip - Hilary Benn, shadow foreign secretary - Maria Eagle, shadow defence secretary and Angela Eagle, shadow business secretary.

The shadow cabinet could very soon look like an old boys club.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Charles said:

FPT

It's a pretty sad state of affairs when the unions are the most moderate voice in the Labour Party.
  • Options
    And just think, it was the big unions that helped Kinnock defeat Militant.

Sandpit said:

Charles said:

FPT

It's a pretty sad state of affairs when the unions are the most moderate voice in the Labour Party.
  • Options

And just think, it was the big unions that helped Kinnock defeat Militant.

Sandpit said:

Charles said:

FPT

I thought the Government was legislating to ban TUs from supporting Labour...

• Options
    HYUFD said:

They can't do any worse than some of our most recent entries.
    Russia are the early favorites in the betting.
  • Options
    Mr. Pubgoer, closely followed by Qatar?
  • Options

Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

Charles said:

FPT

I don't see this.

(*) Not a mis-spelling

;)
    Something for me to look forward to when my son lets me have his current smartphone (there's a family cascade in prospect, alas) :(

I'll be on the lookout - bet you feel better now ;)
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

Probably also does not help I am reading the paper on the train at the same time but yes would be an interesting prospect
  • Options
    Root goes for 73. Half-hearted shot straight behind to first slip
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed though I expect Cameron will say we already have PMQs
  • Options

Mr. HYUFD, saw that on the papers last night. Vacuous tosh. Debates are bad enough in an election.

Still, better for Corbyn to discuss that than his friends in Hamas, his unilateralism, desire to abolish the army or quoting Mao.

Certainly plenty of ammunition for Dave
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

Probably also does not help I am reading the paper on the train at the same time but yes would be an interesting prospect
    Hope you're not in the no cellphone car
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

Hope you're not in the no cellphone car
    No a number on their phones in this carriage
  • Options
    Mr. HYUFD, indeed, but short-term advantage should not dictate making a long-term change to the way we do politics.
  • Options
    CromwellCromwell Posts: 236
    Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

That's right , voters in Iowa tend to be serious , sober minded and informed ; the exact opposite of Trumpsters ....Trump is Howard Dean on steroids and is heading for a massive fail in Iowa and it may well be the event that bursts the Trump bubble

It's possible that Trump still goes on to win in NH due to the fragmentation of the establishment candidate , but so long as Rubio comes in second , he can even afford to lose in South Carolina just so long as he wins in Nevada .

..I expect Rubio to be behind Cruz until possibly April but sooner or later he is going to start winning as the race moves away from the Old South and Bible Belt

...Nate Silver is correct , those Blue States are weighted in favour of a ''moderate conservative '' and have more delegates ...Marco Rubio will be the nominee and is very likely to defeat Hilary

• Options

HYUFD said:

They can't do any worse than some of our most recent entries.
    Russia are the early favorites in the betting.
    Yes will probably be a Scandinavian or Eastern European nation again
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

He knows Cameron will say no, fir understandable reasons, PMQs etc, so they won't happen but he can say Cameron is running scared of him and the people. Political gameplaying at its most obvious.
  • Options
    As we've been saying for ages - this isn't even playing on Easy.
    kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

He knows Cameron will say no, fir understandable reasons, PMQs etc, so they won't happen but he can say Cameron is running scared of him and the people. Political gameplaying at its most obvious.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Agree completely, which is why Dave should call him on it. If it does happen then the PM gets a much larger audience than PMQs to repeat the line about terrorist sympathisers and support for Mao, Venezuela, Cuba etc. Dave would have a field day, it would be starting the election campaign 4 years early.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Agree completely, which is why Dave should call him on it. If it does happen then the PM gets a much larger audience than PMQs to repeat the line about terrorist sympathisers and support for Mao, Venezuela, Cuba etc. Dave would have a field day, it would be starting the election campaign 4 years early.
    I'm not sure it would get that much of an audience to be honest.
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, then we'd likely have annual debates ad nauseum. Corbyn won't be around forever.
  • Options
    New Hampshire is a secular minded state with a flinty streak of independence , they went for Pat Buchannon and so it's quite possible they will go for Trump ...but it seems to me that when Trump fails badly in Iowa it will be the beginning of the end for the Trump phenomena

In some ways Trumpism is like a Ponzi Scheme that relies heavily on consumer confidence , but when that confidence is undermined it collapses like a house of cards

The only polls that have real predictive value are those about 3-4 days before the actual vote
    Rubio has purposely played it low key to avoid being the front runner and fall guy but come January his campaign is going to ratchet things up and slowly build momentum with a string of endorsements , including two previous NH primary winners , Mccain and Romney ...Rubio could very well win in NH but even if he doesn't a good second place is a victory of sorts that will keep him in the race ....only Trump can beat Rubio in NH !
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

All that ammo needs to be kept for the GE election campaign in the meantime its enough that Corbyn looks weak acts week and is seen to be a nutter
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

And how does he get out of it when Labour come to their senses? Never make long term changes for short term gain.

Besides, it's a daft idea on its own merits. There are far more effective ways of holding leaders to account than debates, which only really have value in an election time when the public are being asked to assess the potential PMs against each other.
  • Options

THIS is the best political analysis that I have read on the so called Trump phenomena .........

NED MADDEN

Anyone who thinks Trump will win the GOP nomination ... let alone the general election ... hasn't been paying attention to the Blaring Trumpet himself, who's been telling us in every way possible (except for actually saying it straight out) that while he loves RUNNING for President he has zero interest in actually BEING President ... an all-consuming but relatively low-paying, thankless job requiring a lot of hard work, little reward and much compromise, none of which appeals to Trump.

Most importantly for Trump, losing even a single primary or caucus would be a catastrophic personal failure that cannot be hidden or denied. The headlines will read "Trump Loses," an intolerable situation for a self--described Winner Who NEVER Loses.

If Trump is still in the race on Feb. 1 he will definitely lose in Iowa, and for a week until New Hampshire he'll have to deal with the humiliating truth that on his VERY FIRST EVER U.S. electoral ballot, he LOST. Ouch, ouch and super ouch.

Aside from crashing his own self-inflated image of himself as a Winner above all else (which ignores his many bankrupticies and other business failures), a run for the nomination will require Trump to spend money he simply does not have.

Obama's 2012 reelection campaign cost $1.1 billion. Forbes and Blumberg put Trump's wealth at $4 billion, of which only $330 million is in cash and securities. He'd blow through that amount fairly quickly and then need to begin selling off real estate holdings at fire sale prices to get the money to pay bills on the cash-hungry campaign trail. SuperPACs and other sources of revenue won't much diminish Trump's own YOOOJ! spending requirements.

And despite it all Trump knows that in the end he'd suffer a Goldwater-level defeat by Hillary in the general election.

No, Trump knows how to play the odds and he's already gotten everything he wanted in the first place fro the 2016 campaign ... global personal notoriety and a mega-buffing of the Trump brand. He's not going to throw all that away simply to spend his own money getting made to look the fool when the actual voting starts.

Prediction: the Trumpet will Jump It before Feb. 1. If he doesn't quit the race before the first votes are cast, then he's even crazier than he's made himself out to be.

To all you Trumpistas who find this analysis not to your liking, relax. I actually want Trump to stay in. He's totally destroying the GOP for at least a generation to come, and his self-destruction is going to be even more heart warming to observe.

• Options

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

All that ammo needs to be kept for the GE election campaign in the meantime its enough that Corbyn looks weak acts week and is seen to be a nutter
    The Tories don't seem to be holding back though - witness "terrorist sympathisers" at the time of the Syria debate.
  • Options
    @JasonGroves1: Corbyn: 'In sport you are in it to win... politics is slightly different.' Pretty much sums up Labour's problem
  • Options
    Cromwell said:

New Hampshire is a secular minded state with a flinty streak of independence , they went for Pat Buchannon and so it's quite possible they will go for Trump ...but it seems to me that when Trump fails badly in Iowa it will be the beginning of the end for the Trump phenomena

In some ways Trumpism is like a Ponzi Scheme that relies heavily on consumer confidence , but when that confidence is undermined it collapses like a house of cards

The only polls that have real predictive value are those about 3-4 days before the actual vote
    Rubio has purposely played it low key to avoid being the front runner and fall guy but come January his campaign is going to ratchet things up and slowly build momentum with a string of endorsements , including two previous NH primary winners , Mccain and Romney ...Rubio could very well win in NH but even if he doesn't a good second place is a victory of sorts that will keep him in the race ....only Trump can beat Rubio in NH !

Rubio low key? He's on TV almost very day. Not on the Trumpian scale though.
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

I'm not sure it would get that much of an audience to be honest.
    The media reaction to it would make the debate bigger than the actual audience. Assuming it was at a quiet time it would lead the news for days.

My original point was that Corbyn asking for an annual debate is just trying to play politics and call the PM scared of debating. If Corbyn wants to be so silly, then Dave should just play him at his own game by cheerily welcoming the idea, probably with a subtle jibe about him being happy for Corbyn to show he's a completely unsuitable PM to a larger audience!
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Cromwell said:

THIS is the best political analysis that I have read on the so called Trump phenomena .........

NED MADDEN

Anyone who thinks Trump will win the GOP nomination ... let alone the general election ... hasn't been paying attention to the Blaring Trumpet himself, who's been telling us in every way possible (except for actually saying it straight out) that while he loves RUNNING for President he has zero interest in actually BEING President ... an all-consuming but relatively low-paying, thankless job requiring a lot of hard work, little reward and much compromise, none of which appeals to Trump.

Most importantly for Trump, losing even a single primary or caucus would be a catastrophic personal failure that cannot be hidden or denied. The headlines will read "Trump Loses," an intolerable situation for a self--described Winner Who NEVER Loses.

If Trump is still in the race on Feb. 1 he will definitely lose in Iowa, and for a week until New Hampshire he'll have to deal with the humiliating truth that on his VERY FIRST EVER U.S. electoral ballot, he LOST. Ouch, ouch and super ouch.

Aside from crashing his own self-inflated image of himself as a Winner above all else (which ignores his many bankrupticies and other business failures), a run for the nomination will require Trump to spend money he simply does not have.

Obama's 2012 reelection campaign cost $1.1 billion. Forbes and Blumberg put Trump's wealth at $4 billion, of which only $330 million is in cash and securities. He'd blow through that amount fairly quickly and then need to begin selling off real estate holdings at fire sale prices to get the money to pay bills on the cash-hungry campaign trail. SuperPACs and other sources of revenue won't much diminish Trump's own YOOOJ! spending requirements.

And despite it all Trump knows that in the end he'd suffer a Goldwater-level defeat by Hillary in the general election.

No, Trump knows how to play the odds and he's already gotten everything he wanted in the first place fro the 2016 campaign ... global personal notoriety and a mega-buffing of the Trump brand. He's not going to throw all that away simply to spend his own money getting made to look the fool when the actual voting starts.

Prediction: the Trumpet will Jump It before Feb. 1. If he doesn't quit the race before the first votes are cast, then he's even crazier than he's made himself out to be.

To all you Trumpistas who find this analysis not to your liking, relax. I actually want Trump to stay in. He's totally destroying the GOP for at least a generation to come, and his self-destruction is going to be even more heart warming to observe.

Given Cruz may be the one who pips Trump in New Hampshire that is little help to Rubio David Frum had an article last week which made clear Trump now represents the base against the establishment who are running out of time to stop him
  • Options
    Cromwell said:

NED MADDEN

If that's such a good analysis, what odds will you offer on its main conclusion: that Trump will withdraw from the race before the end of January?
  • Options
    What, if anything, have those saying they'll vote for Donald Trump had to do so far? Have they had to pay as much as £3? Because if not, they're just another bunch of maybes and given this bunch of maybes seem to have been pretty uncommitted in the past, why should we think they'll be any more committed this time around?

The comparison is less with Jeremy Corbyn and more with UKIP, it seems to me.
  • Options
    Cromwell said:

Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

That's right , voters in Iowa tend to be serious , sober minded and informed ; the exact opposite of Trumpsters ....Trump is Howard Dean on steroids and is heading for a massive fail in Iowa and it may well be the event that bursts the Trump bubble

It's possible that Trump still goes on to win in NH due to the fragmentation of the establishment candidate , but so long as Rubio comes in second , he can even afford to lose in South Carolina just so long as he wins in Nevada .

..I expect Rubio to be behind Cruz until possibly April but sooner or later he is going to start winning as the race moves away from the Old South and Bible Belt

...Nate Silver is correct , those Blue States are weighted in favour of a ''moderate conservative '' and have more delegates ...Marco Rubio will be the nominee and is very likely to defeat Hilary

If Rubio fails to win at least one of Iowa or New Hampshire or South Carolina he is done, no nominee in history got the nomination without winning one of those three
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

The Tories don't seem to be holding back though - witness "terrorist sympathisers" at the time of the Syria debate.
    That was to frame how the public view Corbyn, and it's worked.
  • Options
    For @HurstLlama Saw this and thought of your walking guides http://londonist.com/2015/08/how-london-s-parks-got-their-names
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Cromwell said:

Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

If Rubio fails to win at least one of Iowa or New Hampshire or South Carolina he is done, no nominee in history got the nomination without winning one of those three
    https://xkcd.com/1122/
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Who are they going to vote for. Trump may not win, but the reason won't be "Democrats for someone other than Trump".

Democrats for Rubio is as fanciful as Tories for Burnham tbh.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Ted Cruz's victory in Iowa will be good news for Trump, will give him the impression of having the big 'mo' and will probably sink Rubio.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Cromwell said:

NED MADDEN

Sadly I'm not speaking from personal experience but I'm pretty sure that if one has a net worth of $4bn then one can raise $1.1bn, especially if one knows about the requirement well in advance, without conducting a fire-sale of one's assets. Perhaps multi-billionaire posters can comment. (Aside: my own predictive text didn't like "billionaire" just then, wanted to make it "millionaire". Egalitarian.)

Otherwise, I think this is one of those articles where a candidate is assumed to share the analysis of the writer. Trump probably doesn't see defeat as inevitable and surely doesn't see the prize as undesirable. Lincoln, I believe, said, "Once the Presidential bug gets into a man it burrows deep."
  • Options
    Re Trump:

I very much doubt his net worth is anywhere near $4bn. He's the pointy bit on top of a mountain of leverage. If asset prices were to fall, or interest rates were to rise, he might find that his net worth diminished very rapidly.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

And how does he get out of it when Labour come to their senses? Never make long term changes for short term gain.

Besides, it's a daft idea on its own merits. There are far more effective ways of holding leaders to account than debates, which only really have value in an election time when the public are being asked to assess the potential PMs against each other.
    I'd quite like to see more public debates with leaders and aspiring leaders. Cameron himself did loads of town hall meetings while LotO and has done a few as PM.

I disagree with pretty much all John Bercow's says, but he is right that the PMQs format shows MPs from all sides in a very poor light. A more civilised format including the public might assist in countering the stereotype of politicians being aloof and out of touch with the average man in the street.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Charles said:

FPT

The hard left are also in control of most major unions.
  • Options
    Also regarding Trump, I don't think he's the electoral liability (in the General) people think he is. He appeals to a demographic which has simply not turned up to vote in the past: the angry white man. And he appeals to a lot of former and current Democrats.

I think he could beat Hillary, although she would have to be favourite,

The candidate the Democrats truly want to run against is Ted Cruz. He'd go down 55:45 to Hillary.
  • Options
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    Scott_P said:

twitter.com/will_sherlock/status/681766228512346112

...just the biggest loser...

And I think people will notice Abbott at defence.
  • Options
    Bairstow and Ali now going at it with the bat. Lead of 327 is only a dozen from the highest score ever chased on this ground, and more than SA have scored in over a year. Declaration coming around lunch time?
  • Options
    Interesting things are going on in Catalonia: the two pro independence movements (Junts pel si and the CUP) are at loggerheads. The latter is refusing to back the re-election of Artur Mas as President of the regional government, and the former is refusing to back down. If they cannot choose a regional President by early January (I think it's about the 10th), then it's back to the polls for the Catalonians.
This discussion has been closed.