Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If it’s Farage versus Carswell then there can only be one o

124»

Comments

• Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    Pulpstar said:

Neither Carswell's mild mannered intellectualism, nor Dan Hannan's eloquent arguments will win it for out.

Only a completely shameless campaign on Britain being flooded with forever more refugees, probably with a few racist overtones is going to work. Bear in mind the ASA does not regulate political advertising, so pretty much anything goes. Out needs to take it to the brink and beyond to win.

I think your analysis is correct but I doubt if even the campaign you describe would be anywhere near enough. The Brits just aren't that nasty.
  • Options
    I think Carswell's defection occurred at a time when we all thought Labour were going to squeak home at GE2015, or at least be largest party.

EICIPM, anyone?
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

Indigo said:

EU leaders have offered David Cameron a limited "emergency break", allowing Britain to stop migrants claiming benefits if they are harming public services.
    Hallelujah we are saved!
    Who decides if they are hurting public services? The EU?

What do you think !?
  • Options
    Steven_WhaleySteven_Whaley Posts: 313
    edited December 2015

What's your drinking nationality? - It’s that time again when the Booze calculator makes an appearance. Anyone brave enough to admit they drink like a Frenchman?

I got Kuwait. :)

• Options

[snip] I'm saying he [Dan Hannan] makes an eloquent case for leaving.

My point is the bad news for Inners is leave.eu will soon be sidelined

Dan does indeed make an eloquent case for leaving, and for people like me he would be the most persuasive advocate the Leave campaign could find.

However, I don't think he would be the right person to persuade the bulk of uncommitted voters, especially Labour or left-of-centre voters. His arguments come across as based on reasoning from abstract, generally libertarian, principles.

There's also the wider question of whether immigration should be at the heart of the Leave campaign; that seems to be at the heart of the Leave.EU/VoteLeave split.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

EU leaders have offered David Cameron a limited "emergency break", allowing Britain to stop migrants claiming benefits if they are harming public services.
    Hallelujah we are saved!

Source? You do realise that already represents a shift towards Cameron if it's true. I wonder what more Santa and the 3 Kings will bring by February.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

How much cash do the "Out" and "In" campaigns have behind them each btw ?

Also is spending capped ? 'Out' will need a serious billboard, bus and online campaign full of stuff better than the current batch of 'Santa Junker' crap.

Some of the CCHQ team that worked their magic in May are now working for Remain.

For example Stephen Gilbert who was CCHQ Director of Campaigning is now working part time for Remain.

Man's an utter star.

I expect more to follow
  • Options
    felix said:

Indigo said:

Hallelujah we are saved!
    Source? You do realise that already represents a shift towards Cameron if it's true. I wonder what more Santa and the 3 Kings will bring by February.

Current headline on the Kippergraph.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492

Dan does indeed make an eloquent case for leaving, and for people like me he would be the most persuasive advocate the Leave campaign could find.

However, I don't think he would be the right person to persuade the bulk of uncommitted voters, especially Labour or left-of-centre voters. His arguments come across as based on reasoning from abstract, generally libertarian, principles.

There's also the wider question of whether immigration should be at the heart of the Leave campaign; that seems to be at the heart of the Leave.EU/VoteLeave split.
    The anti immigrant vote is done and dusted, now Dan needs to make the case based on trade and sovereignty. He'll be far more persuasive than any Inners the tories can roll out.

• Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

justin124 said:
    'Callaghan did not become PM having just been Chancellor - which is what your original post implied. To find an example of a long serving Chancellor succeeding to the post of PM and then going on to win an election we have to go back to 1908 when Asquith took office - though even he had to be content with leading minority Governments following the 1910 elections. Neville Chamberlain never fought an election as PM whilst Baldwin was only Chancellor for 7 months and went on to lose his first election.
    Re-Benn. He is not particularly leftwing unlike is father. Obviously not a Blairite either so he has the potential to be a unifying figure'

HYUFD said
    'No rubbish as Major and Macmillan won after being Chancellor and the only other winner taking over in power, Eden, was Foreign Secretary so Osborne's only alternative would be Hammond '

For you to refer to my above comments as 'rubbish' simply betrays your ignorance frankly. Macmillan and Major held the office of Chancellor for barely a year. Neither can be said to have been long term Chancellors - they had barely settled into the role!
  • Options
    Indigo said:

felix said:

Indigo said:

Hallelujah we are saved!
    Current headline on the Kippergraph.

I see and as I thought another step in the negotiation. Good start.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

What's your drinking nationality? - It’s that time again when the Booze calculator makes an appearance. Anyone brave enough to admit they drink like a Frenchman?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-30500372

Drink like a Frenchman? Pah! They are mere dilettantes; "Un aperitif, un demi carafe et un digestif*" at lunch forsooth! Might as well go the whole hog and sign the pledge.

Drink like a Saxon, now that might be a touch too far, especially at my age - mind, I had a good go at it as a young man. As a nation the Septics were the ones that got me; getting all sniffy about having a beer at lunchtime and then slamming lethal cocktails down with both hands come six o'clock.

Talking of which, it has gone past the Hour, time for a little something.

*That was the ration that the old French drink driving laws were based on.
  • Options

A question for Inners:

I imagine there'll be IN/OUT debates before the referendum like when Nigel took on Cleggy.

Who do you want batting for your side?

Anna Soubry, I think, if there's still anything worth fighting for. Though I'm still far from convinced that there's going to be anything worthy of the name IN on the ballot paper. Looks like it'll be a choice of OUT or ALMOST OUT :(
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited December 2015

The jackpot for "Leave" is combining anti-immigration AND anti-austerity ("the money we send to Brussels could be used for our public services instead"). That's the key to getting working-class Labour voters onside.

As you say, this general abstract principle of "sovereignty" doesn't mean all that much to Joe Public: if something is good policy then people don't care whether it's set at Westminster level or European level (for example the Ashcroft focus groups found strong support for cross-EU co-operation for police forces and counterterrorism forces). "Leave" needs to focus on the tangible examples of BAD policy that come from Europe.
  • Options

Drink like a Frenchman? Pah! They are mere dilettantes; "Un aperitif, un demi carafe et un digestif*" at lunch forsooth! Might as well go the whole hog and sign the pledge.

Drink like a Saxon, now that might be a touch too far, especially at my age - mind, I had a good go at it as a young man. As a nation the Septics were the ones that got me; getting all sniffy about having a beer at lunchtime and then slamming lethal cocktails down with both hands come six o'clock.

Kuwait for me, I'm afraid, Mr Llama!
  • Options
    Is Mr. Jessop around? Another motoring snippet to raise his blood pressure:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/comment/driven-by-tesla-model-s-autopilot/

OK, it is not full autonomy and it only works on the motorway, any motorway, but it is another little step in getting the technology up to where it needs to be .
  • Options
    @MrLlama - "Un aperitif, un demi carafe et un digestif*"

You learn something new every day on PB :lol:

The course of history would have been mighty different if the notorious lightweight Napoleon could have downed his pints like on Englishman. - Now if you'll excuse me, the Sun has gone down over Wiltshire and Dog & Duck awaits....!
  • Options

A question for Inners:

I imagine there'll be IN/OUT debates before the referendum like when Nigel took on Cleggy.

Who do you want batting for your side?

Anna Soubry, I think, if there's still anything worth fighting for. Though I'm still far from convinced that there's going to be anything worthy of the name IN on the ballot paper. Looks like it'll be a choice of OUT or ALMOST OUT :(
    Fear not! I don't think Cameron will be negotiating over anything more than what type of tea is served at EU summits!
  • Options

The course of history would have been mighty different if the notorious lightweight Napoleon could have downed his pints like on Englishman. - Now if you'll excuse me, the Sun has gone down over Wiltshire and Dog & Duck awaits....!

Whereas as a young man in India, Wellington was known for the quality of his table, where claret would be drunk by the quart
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

Timor Leste.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,264

OK, it is not full autonomy and it only works on the motorway, any motorway, but it is another little step in getting the technology up to where it needs to be .

Blood pressure not raised one iota, thanks. ;)

From the article:
    Try it away from the motorway, for example, and you’ll be lucky to get 50ft before it steers you into a lamppost.
    Manufacturers have been working on similar tech for autobahns for decades: ISTR there's some fairly ancient video of four of five German cars travelling at speed bumper-to-bumper.

But that's a long way away from what is needed. It'll be interesting to see if Tesla's approach survives the courts ...
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,294
    edited December 2015
    There is a justifiable concern that any "In" vote would be taken as a sign that Britain was now fully committed to "ever closer union".

Can I suggest that as part of the process, a cross party committee is set up that monitors the extent to which the letter and spirit of agreements are being adhered to. This committee would contain 1/3 BOOers, 1/3 INners, and 1/3 Persuadable. (With a good smattering of lawyers.)

If an ECJ judgement or QMV decision were taken that it was felt exceeded the competences set out in the various treaties, it would be able to recommend (or even enact) a referendum on Britain's continued membership of the EU. Circumstances might include an attempt to enforce votes for prisoners (note: this would only be ECJ, not EHCR), likewise the way that QMV was used to over-rule Britain's treaty written opt-out. The committee could also monitor whether promised treaty change did or didn't occur, or the City's position was prejudiced.
  • Options

Well of course it is, Cap'n Doc. That is the reason why your career as a pirate never really took off ("Yo, Ho, Ho and a cup of tea" doesn't really work) and the second reason why you can't make a career in the Church of England (one can't say "Another sherry, vicar?", if the vicar doesn't drink) . That said there have been some very good CofE people who didn't drink (what they did at communion, I don't know) but look closely and they all loved cricket.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

There is a justifiable concern that any "In" vote would be taken as a sign that Britain was now fully committed to "ever closer union".

Can I suggest that as part of the process, a cross party committee is set up that monitors the extent to which the letter and spirit of agreements are being adhered to. This committee would contain 1/3 BOOers, 1/3 INners, and 1/3 Persuadable. (With a good smattering of lawyers.)

If an ECJ judgement or QMV decision were taken that it was felt exceeded the competences set out in the various treaties, it would be able to recommend (or even enact) a referendum on Britain's continued membership of the EU. Circumstances might include an attempt to enforce votes for prisoners (note: this would only be ECJ, not EHCR), likewise the way that QMV was used to over-rule Britain's treaty written opt-out. The committee could also monitor whether promised treaty change did or didn't occur, or the City's position was prejudiced.

That cross party committe would almost for sure have a pro-EU majority!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,294
    edited December 2015

rcs1000 said:

That cross party committe would almost for sure have a pro-EU majority!
    Well, I would suggest it should have a substantial minority of constitutional lawyers. And I'd keep the remit as far as possible very narrow, clear and fact based.

The truth is that there are people on this site (and generally in the world) who are going to vote In in the EU referendum, but who regard the potential ECJ decision on votes for prisoners as exceeding its competences, and the treaties we have. They are the kind of people who -in the case of an In vote- I would hope would make up a substantial minority of people on the committee.

The purpose of the committee would not be to provide an excuse for leaving. It would be to ensure that the other side of any deal is kept.
  • Options

Whereas as a young man in India, Wellington was known for the quality of his table, where claret would be drunk by the quart
    Which must have taken a seriously strong constitution given the heat.

In the 1980s my job involved me attending a monthly inter-agency liaison meeting that always culminated with a curry at which the Bulgarian wine, "Bulls Blood", was served by the pint. It was normally only after the second glass that any real and useful exchange of views and information happened, before that inter-agency rivalry precluded anything worthwhile being said.
  • Options
    Good evening, everyone.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

Good evening, everyone.

Just turned midday actually ... :)
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Good evening, everyone.

Just turned midday actually ... :)
    A little after 1am surely ? ;)
  • Options
    It's five o'clock somewhere.

Oh yes, here actually.
  • Options
    KingaKinga Posts: 59
    John McDonnell just declared on R4 that Jeremy Corbyn will be Labour leader in 2020, he will be shadow CofE, and Labour will win the GE. What are the odds on that lot coming in?
  • Options
    One of the unadvertised advantages of wearing cowhide is that lots of people want to stroke it.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Right Fantasy Footballers.

Do I drop Pelle and bring back Aguero this weekend?

Yes.

This advice may not be given in the true spirit of camaraderie that you might expect.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

Blood pressure not raised one iota, thanks. ;)

From the article:
    Try it away from the motorway, for example, and you’ll be lucky to get 50ft before it steers you into a lamppost.
    Manufacturers have been working on similar tech for autobahns for decades: ISTR there's some fairly ancient video of four of five German cars travelling at speed bumper-to-bumper.

But that's a long way away from what is needed. It'll be interesting to see if Tesla's approach survives the courts ...

Fair enough, it is but one small step, though one of many hundreds of steps that are being taken. I am sure the journey will reach its end one day and that day will be in your lifetime if not mine.

A few years ago I had the joy of using the automatic parking facility on a BMW in Bond Street right in front of a copper. His eyes nearly popped out of his head as the car reversed perfectly into what was I thought too small a space whilst I was waving at him with both hands.

Anyway onto more important things whilst you are here; are you up for Duxford on Sunday 10 July next year? I need to know soon as I want to buy the tickets before they all sell out.

P.S. How are you getting with Horizons/1.5?
  • Options
    KingaKinga Posts: 59
    Mind you, JM also stated that he wanted Chukka and Chris Leslie back on the team, there was no prospect of deselections and he had no idea why he would be referred to as "a nasty piece of work".

Maybe he was just pissed.
  • Options

Good evening, everyone.

Evening all,

I have an hour to kill before subjecting myself to Booze Black Friday (not my idea). I see Christie's odds have shortened a tad in last few days. Could he pull something off in NH?
  • Options
    Mr. T, not according to the chronography of the UK. You have been corrupted by colonial chronographical deviancy.
  • Options
    If you want to stop more UK integration into the EU following a yes vote, best option is to elect a more eurosceptic Tory as leader afterwards, on a platform of Cammo's renegotiation not going far enough. He could bring up all the stuff we want that Cameron kept quiet about. He won't get far with it but it'll scare the EU into not pushing things further. Bish bash bosh, no further integration!
  • Options
    Kinga said:

John McDonnell just declared on R4 that Jeremy Corbyn will be Labour leader in 2020, he will be shadow CofE, and Labour will win the GE. What are the odds on that lot coming in?

LOL. How do I put an infinity sign into the comment box?
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Carswell gets a lot of respect but is there honestly more of a market for libertarianism lite, than there is for anti-immigration populism? I don't think so.
    Doesn't mean that Farage is the best figurehead for it though.
  • Options
    UKIP really want a woman leader so they can invoke the spirit of Thatcher and bat away any personal attacks as patronising sexism
  • Options

Mr. T, not according to the chronography of the UK. You have been corrupted by colonial chronographical deviancy.

You what? Whats that when its at home?
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Carswell gets a lot of respect but is there honestly more of a market for libertarianism lite, than there is for anti-immigration populism? I don't think so.
    Doesn't mean that Farage is the best figurehead for it though.

I suspect many people, the vast majority in fact, would have no idea what Carswell is on about if they discussed some of his ideas on democracy etc etc. Good that he's floating them, but its not going to be UKIP's key selling point.
  • Options
    Order Order claims a date for the infamous Hodges streak:

http://order-order.com/2015/12/18/hodges-streak-date-confirmed/
  • Options
    Mr. Die, Mr. T's American timezone.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,048
    edited December 2015

Good evening, everyone.

Evening all,

I have an hour to kill before subjecting myself to Booze Black Friday (not my idea). I see Christie's odds have shortened a tad in last few days. Could he pull something off in NH?
    He helps Trump.

Christie, Bush, Rubio are all eating each other's voter pool. He should be shorter than Bush (He isn't), but his current odds are about right.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,342

If you want to stop more UK integration into the EU following a yes vote, best option is to elect a more eurosceptic Tory as leader afterwards, on a platform of Cammo's renegotiation not going far enough. He could bring up all the stuff we want that Cameron kept quiet about. He won't get far with it but it'll scare the EU into not pushing things further. Bish bash bosh, no further integration!

Surely if there has been a clear Remain vote then the negotiation has by definition gone far enough?

What margin of victory for Remain would be taken as a mandate for more integration?
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100

Order Order claims a date for the infamous Hodges streak:

http://order-order.com/2015/12/18/hodges-streak-date-confirmed/

Finally, the moment we all have been waiting for.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,060
    edited December 2015
    I see Cameron's response to Mr. Carswell at PMQs was uncannily prescient.. no wonder Mr Carswell was crying foul.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Yes.

This advice may not be given in the true spirit of camaraderie that you might expect.
    Surely you should bring in Bobby Soldado or perhaps Sturridge.....
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    edited December 2015
    & i n f i n ; (remove spaces but include the ';') is the code for infinity.

So the odds are ∞ to 1 against.
  • Options
    Mr. Scrapheap, what did Cameron say?
  • Options

Surely if there has been a clear Remain vote then the negotiation has by definition gone far enough?

What margin of victory for Remain would be taken as a mandate for more integration?
    Just look at how Scotland go for more powers after an in vote. Sending contradictory signals works. It don't matter it's not consistent!
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Alistair said:

Yes.

Surely you should bring in Bobby Soldado or perhaps Sturridge.....
    I have built up q healthy points lead over someone who normally thrashes me at the fantasy football as I got on Vardy early while he persisted with Aguero.
  • Options
    Mr. Die, utterly different situation. Power flows to Brussels, not away. The reverse is true of devolution.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    :smiley:
    Kinga said:

Mind you, JM also stated that he wanted Chukka and Chris Leslie back on the team, there was no prospect of deselections and he had no idea why he would be referred to as "a nasty piece of work".

Maybe he was just pissed.

• Options
    weejonnie said:

& i n f i n ; (remove spaces but include the ';') is the code for infinity.

So the odds are ∞ to 1 against.

Excellent. Thanks. Might be needing the ∞ a lot in run up to GE 2020.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    A series of polls out, 4 actually, 2 from Florida one post one pre-debate, 1 from N.H mostly pre-debate, and one National conducted after the debate:

PPP National after debate

Trump 34 +8
    Cruz 18 +4
    Rubio 13 0
    Bush 7 +2
    Carson 6 -13
    Christie 5 +2
    Fiorina 4 0
    Huckabee 4 0
    Kasich 2 -1
    Paul 2 0

This is a good poll for Trump.
    Funny fact, 30% of republicans want to bomb fictional Agrabah (from Aladdin) vs 13% who are against.
    http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/2015/GOPResults.pdf

Boston Herald N.H half before, half after the debate.

Trump 26 -2
    Cruz 12 +7
    Rubio 12 +6
    Christie 11 +8
    Bush 10 +1
    kasich 8 +2
    Carson 5 -11
    Fiorina 6 -4
    Paul 3 -2

This is a bad poll for Trump.
    http://www.bostonherald.com/news/us_politics/2015/12/nh_poll_foes_gain_on_donald_trump_hillary_clinton_pulls_even

Opinion Savvy Florida, after debate, their last one was early September:

Trump 30 +1
    Cruz 20 +17
    Rubio 15 +9
    Bush 13 -6
    Carson 8 -17
    Christie 6 +4
    Paul 3 +3
    Fiorina 3 -2
    Kasich 1 -2

http://opinionsavvy.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/FL-GOP-PP-12.17.15.pdf

St.Pete Polls Florida, before debate, their last one was from July :

Trump 36 +10
    Cruz 22 +18
    Rubio 17 +7
    Bush 9 -11
    Carson 6 +1
    Christie 3 +3
    Kasich 2 -2
    Fiorina 1 +1
    Paul 1 -2

http://stpetepolls.org/files/StPetePolls_2015_StatePRI_REP_PRES_December_15_LU47.pdf

• Options
    Speedy said:

A series of polls out, 4 actually, 2 from Florida one post one pre-debate, 1 from N.H mostly pre-debate, and one National conducted after the debate:

PPP National after debate

Trump 34 +8
    Cruz 18 +4
    Rubio 13 0
    Bush 7 +2
    Carson 6 -13
    Christie 5 +2
    Fiorina 4 0
    Huckabee 4 0
    Kasich 2 -1
    Paul 2 0

This is a good poll for Trump.
    Funny fact, 30% of republicans want to bomb fictional Agrabah (from Aladdin) vs 13% who are against.
    http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/2015/GOPResults.pdf

Boston Herald N.H half before, half after the debate.

Trump 26 -2
    Cruz 12 +7
    Rubio 12 +6
    Christie 11 +8
    Bush 10 +1
    kasich 8 +2
    Carson 5 -11
    Fiorina 6 -4
    Paul 3 -2

This is a bad poll for Trump.
    http://www.bostonherald.com/news/us_politics/2015/12/nh_poll_foes_gain_on_donald_trump_hillary_clinton_pulls_even

Opinion Savvy Florida, after debate, their last one was early September:

Trump 30 +1
    Cruz 20 +17
    Rubio 15 +9
    Bush 13 -6
    Carson 8 -17
    Christie 6 +4
    Paul 3 +3
    Fiorina 3 -2
    Kasich 1 -2

http://opinionsavvy.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/FL-GOP-PP-12.17.15.pdf

St.Pete Polls Florida, before debate, their last one was from July :

Trump 36 +10
    Cruz 22 +18
    Rubio 17 +7
    Bush 9 -11
    Carson 6 +1
    Christie 3 +3
    Kasich 2 -2
    Fiorina 1 +1
    Paul 1 -2

http://stpetepolls.org/files/StPetePolls_2015_StatePRI_REP_PRES_December_15_LU47.pdf

Christie. NH. On his way.
  • Options

Mr. Die, utterly different situation. Power flows to Brussels, not away. The reverse is true of devolution.

Nonsense. The EU parliament has a polis of 503 million, the UK only 64 million, therefore it has more legitimacy and a greater mandate.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029
    edited December 2015
    damn, new thread...
This discussion has been closed.