Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The great EURef phone/online polling divide continues as tw

SystemSystem Posts: 11,705
edited December 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The great EURef phone/online polling divide continues as two new phone polls have 18-21% REMAIN leads

This morning we’ve got the EU referendum phone polls for two months and as can be seen in the table, they have numbers which are totally out of line with with all the online surveys.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,602
    edited December 2015
    ComRes have directed me towards this, is most interesting

http://www.comres.co.uk/eu-referendum-all-still-to-play-for-by-not-neck-and-neck/
  • Options
    Another one off the bucket list for Winston, though Sol Campbell is going to be gutted

Winston McKenzie has joined the English Democrats, some say he is the most influential Black English political figure today.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CWWFL6_XAAAKWsU.jpg:large
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,734
    edited December 2015
    1st (not)

OT: Can anyone point me towards an online video archive of Sky News Channel newspaper reviews. I think I heard a comment from one of the reviewers last night that I want to check.

I do not have paid-for Sky.

Thanks
  • Options
    NHS Winter Crisis
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @paulwaugh: Jeremy Corbyn: "...Major Tim Peake who's not on the planet at this time.." Tory MPs heckle "like you!"
    #PMQs
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    edited December 2015

Another one off the bucket list for Winston, though Sol Campbell is going to be gutted

Winston McKenzie has joined the English Democrats, some say he is the most influential Black English political figure today.

He's running for mayor. Should we adjust our betting accordingly :open_mouth: ?
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474

NHS Winter Crisis

Their favourite shroud. Lefties praying for a Big Freeze.
  • Options
    @theobertram: Two men wish each other happy Christmas. Then argue about it. #PMQs
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    edited December 2015
    What a perfect Christmas present http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/8811274
    The site selling the board game, dudeiwantthat.com, reads: "Cat-Opoly is a Monopoly for people who really, really, really like cats. And cat videos, cat memes, cat selfies, cat forums, cat Reddit threads..."
    The aim of the game is to buy as many cats as you can.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    Pulpstar said:

Winston is certainly a great character.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

I'd wait until we know what party he will be standing for. Another five months, and he might have joined The Judean People's Front by then.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554

NHS Winter Crisis

Don't we have an NHS Winter Crisis every year? It certainly seems that way.
  • Options
    Wonder if Sir Oink-A-Lot will run for the mayoralty.

Winston vs Oink-A-Lot vs Lib Dems match bet maybe :D
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Corbyn's question from Abbie

She's already borrowed £25k and decided it was a waste of time and wants to have a career change where she can borrow some more money and then decide at the end of it whether she wants another career change.
  • Options
    These phone polls have significantly lower 'Don't Know's.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    glw said:

NHS Winter Crisis

I'm surprised the organisation hasn't been officially rebranded NHSinWC
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,719
    glw said:

NHS Winter Crisis

Yes - it comes between the NHS autumn crisis and the NHS spring crisis.
  • Options
    :+1:

glw said:

NHS Winter Crisis

Yes - it comes between the NHS autumn crisis and the NHS spring crisis.
  • Options
    @joncstone: David Cameron Just Called Petrol 'Gas' And Twitter Isn't Going To Take It #PMQs
  • Options
    Have to say, Jezza is much better at playing PMQs - but he's getting squished again and again on facts.
  • Options
    Did we get any "wrong kind of jobs" blather from sour-faced lefties today?
  • Options
    chestnut said:

glw said:

NHS Winter Crisis

You'd think after years of practice, they'd have dealt with the problem by now. "Oh look Winter's approaching, shall we do some planning, or just wait until the last minute and have a good old fashioned crisis?"
  • Options
    glw said:

Did we get any "wrong kind of jobs" blather from sour-faced lefties today?

No, they didn't mention 'jobs' at all......
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Corbyn is failing the Answer Already Given test when asking his questions.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Dr P,

http://labourlist.org/2015/12/what-does-labour-stand-for-when-it-is-no-longer-the-party-of-the-working-class/

Like you, I can go back half a century to when the Labour party was a different beast.

There was a sort of unwritten law that the middle class intellectuals (along with a few of the proper working class) would run the party for the benefit of the working classes. What has changed?

A much larger middle class, and from that has evolved a group of people who are convinced they know best.

Old Labour were patriotic and proud of their country (many had fought in the war) and their aim was equality of opportunity.

But Jezza is one of these nouveau, know-it-alls. The important things are Marxism (of sorts) with an emphasis on diversity, and doing down the Dastardly Septics, who along with old-fashioned patriots are responsible for all the ills of the world.

They are the shouty, media types whose views are so self-evidently correct, they must have been born to rule. Those with differing opinions must be marginalised or know their place.

Posh rules OK.

• Options
    Winter is arriving bloody late this year, feels like a dark, wet and murky autumn still tbh.
  • Options

The site selling the board game, dudeiwantthat.com, reads: "Cat-Opoly is a Monopoly for people who really, really, really like cats. And cat videos, cat memes, cat selfies, cat forums, cat Reddit threads..."
    What a ridiculous idea. You can't buy a cat. You can invite a cat into your home, and, if on inspection the premises are of satisfactory quality and the staff are suitable, then the cat may decide to accept the invitation.
  • Options
    Andrew Sparrow:

Snap PMQs Verdict: A comfortable win for Corbyn. It is unusual for Labour to lose on health at PMQs, but Corbyn was well beyond competent. His questions were sharp and relevant, he used humour well and he responded graciously to a jibe from Cameron about his supposedly not being able to wish people Happy Christmas. Cameron does have answers on the NHS, although his figures for the increasing volume of NHS activity are really just a recognition of growth (the volume of NHS activity is almost always going up), Corbyn is right about the problems with the social care precept, and Cameron’s repeated attempts to change the subject, onto unemployment, came across as symptomatic of weakness, not strength.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2015/dec/16/john-major-says-flirting-with-leaving-the-eu-very-dangerous-politics-live#block-5671558be4b0e9280677472f

Didn't see it that way myself - thought score-draw, or even Cameron ahead....
  • Options
    watford30 said:

chestnut said:

glw said:

NHS Winter Crisis

You'd think after years of practice, they'd have dealt with the problem by now. "Oh look Winter's approaching, shall we do some planning, or just wait until the last minute and have a good old fashioned crisis?"
    A bit like Railtrack and autumn in years gone past.
  • Options
    *claps*

What a ridiculous idea. You can't buy a cat. You can invite a cat into your home, and, if on inspection the premises are of satisfactory quality and the staff are suitable, then the cat may decide to accept the invitation.

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,207
    The Guardian seeing PMQs a little differently to the PB commentariat:

Snap PMQs Verdict: A comfortable win for Corbyn. It is unusual for Labour to lose on health at PMQs, but Corbyn was well beyond competent. His questions were sharp and relevant, he used humour well and he responded graciously to a jibe from Cameron about his supposedly not being able to wish people Happy Christmas. Cameron does have answers on the NHS, although his figures for the increasing volume of NHS activity are really just a recognition of growth (the volume of NHS activity is almost always going up), Corbyn is right about the problems with the social care precept, and Cameron’s repeated attempts to change the subject, onto unemployment, came across as symptomatic of weakness, not strength.
  • Options
    A win for Corbyn? WTF? He got trounced on every single question. TORY NHS TORY NHS TORY NHS

Andrew Sparrow:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2015/dec/16/john-major-says-flirting-with-leaving-the-eu-very-dangerous-politics-live#block-5671558be4b0e9280677472f

Didn't see it that way myself - thought score-draw, or even Cameron ahead....

• Options
    I see that Natalie Bennett's Christmas card features a map of the UK with proper county boundaries. If their reinstatement is official party policy, I might have to defect...
  • Options
    Andrew Sparrow needs a change of environment.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

I usually find Sparrow quite balanced - I guess we all have off days......
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

I called it for Corbyn too for the same reasons.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

As a dog person I find it slightly surreal that one can buy a dog just like a kettle.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

tlg86 said:

I usually find Sparrow quite balanced - I guess we all have off days......
    I didn't see PMQs, but the Guardian feed is usually worth following. I don't think PMQs is that important really, but good fun for political geeks.
  • Options
    Tulip was bizarre at PMQs.
  • Options

I see that Natalie Bennett's Christmas card features a map of the UK with proper county boundaries. If their reinstatement is official party policy, I might have to defect...

Another reason not to vote Green. Ted Heath's second greatest achievement was taking Middlesbrough out of Yorkshire.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227
    Pulpstar said:

Winter is arriving bloody late this year, feels like a dark, wet and murky autumn still tbh.

I think it's remarkably mild. My alchemilla mollis is still growing as is my salvia super trouper. Some spring bulbs planted in earlier years are already growing strongly and the snowdrops are, as usual, out.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,568

@joncstone: David Cameron Just Called Petrol 'Gas' And Twitter Isn't Going To Take It #PMQs

Just when I thought my regard for him couldn't sink any lower. No doubt picked it up whilst getting his daily orders from Joe Biden.
  • Options
    Hard work at Holyrood....can I repeat the line "point of order" one more time?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRcIkMMWWGw
  • Options
    I got an e-Christmas card from Paula Sherriff, the Labour MP for Dewsbury, how odd.
  • Options

Just when I thought my regard for him couldn't sink any lower. No doubt picked it up whilst getting his daily orders from Joe Biden.
    I get the feeling if Cameron walked on water you'd be moaning that he couldn't swim.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Cameron just made Corbyn look even worse than we all though he was..
  • Options
    I didn't know that the last deep coal mine was in a Tory seat, Selby and Ainsty.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    watford30 said:

chestnut said:

glw said:

NHS Winter Crisis

LOL!!!!

A tremendous amount of planning goes into winter preparedness. The vast, vast majority of people are still being seen, treated and shown the door within 4 hours of arriving at A&E despite historic levels of demand.
    Unless you think the answer is to build and recruit extra hospitals, nurses, doctors and GPs to only operate in the winter, we are always going to have to put measures in place and you can't stop respiratory illnesses in the elderly. The only solutions are to try and make the system more slick, and commissioners are throwing the kitchen sink at it.... but if you are going to slice and dice Social Care of course you are going to have delayed discharges (of which there are also record numbers).

Delayed discharges equals full hospitals equals queuing ambulances equals people waiting hours after a 999 call.

Of course if the NHS was really as dire as PB Tories say, the vulnerable elderly wouldn't be around to be admitted - and that would take the edge off winter....
  • Options

Another reason not to vote Green. Ted Heath's second greatest achievement was taking Middlesbrough out of Yorkshire.
    Is Hull still in Yorkshire ?
  • Options

I get the feeling if Cameron walked on water you'd be moaning that he couldn't swim.
    I thought he could walk on water

• Options
    Does anyone know how many BME MPs each Party has?

I'm increasing noticing at PMQs that one can't assume they're Labour MPs. Ranil Jayawardena was very good - Tory for Hants NE. Very media friendly and eloquent.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    "Hospitals seem to be having a particular problem with discharging patients. The most vulnerable patients - mainly elderly, frail people - need to have support in place in the community from council care teams and community nursing before they can be released, even though they may be medically fit to leave hospital.
    When this cannot be found, the patients are classed as a delayed discharge. The number of delays has now reached the highest level since record-keeping began in 2010. Reports suggest some hospitals may have a fifth of their beds taken up by patients who should not be there."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-35028372
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,070
    Cyclefree said:

Pulpstar said:

I think it's remarkably mild. My alchemilla mollis is still growing as is my salvia super trouper. Some spring bulbs planted in earlier years are already growing strongly and the snowdrops are, as usual, out.
    I was walking down Pattison Road yesterday, and the mild weather has totally thrown the trees off. They are all showing spring blossom.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Yes - just like Middlesbrough.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

watford30 said:

chestnut said:

glw said:

NHS Winter Crisis

LOL!!!!

A tremendous amount of planning goes into winter preparedness. The vast, vast majority of people are still being seen, treated and shown the door within 4 hours of arriving at A&E despite historic levels of demand.
    Unless you think the answer is to build and recruit extra hospitals, nurses, doctors and GPs to only operate in the winter, we are always going to have to put measures in place and you can't stop respiratory illnesses in the elderly. The only solutions are to try and make the system more slick, and commissioners are throwing the kitchen sink at it.... but if you are going to slice and dice Social Care of course you are going to have delayed discharges (of which there are also record numbers).

Delayed discharges equals full hospitals equals queuing ambulances equals people waiting hours after a 999 call.

Of course if the NHS was really as dire as PB Tories say, the vulnerable elderly wouldn't be around to be admitted - and that would take the edge off winter....
    Great to hear that the NHS is operating to plan, as one assumes.

So why do Labour continually bang on about a health service in crisis?
  • Options

Whenever I feel distrust of the United States I just read Lovinputin1983's posts. Any doubt I was having is then washed completely away :-)
  • Options
    Freggles said:

watford30 said:

chestnut said:

glw said:

NHS Winter Crisis

LOL!!!!

What we really need is cross-border A&E doctors, who work the winters in both the UK and New Zealand.
  • Options

I'm increasing noticing at PMQs that one can't assume they're Labour MPs. Ranil Jayawardena was very good - Tory for Hants NE. Very media friendly and eloquent.

My Tory MP in Fareham is Suella Fernandez, I believe of Goan extraction.
  • Options

Not sure about the exact numbers but yes, it's quite balanced now. On current form the Conservatives look like they will avoid becoming the angry white people party.
  • Options

Kwasi Kwarteng is outstanding.

(Disclaimer: he's a friend of mine, so I'm totally biased.)
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

'umberside
  • Options
    My previous MP for true blue Wealden is another great media performer Nus Ghani, she's a great newbie addition.

My Tory MP in Fareham is Suella Fernandez, I believe of Goan extraction.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

'umberside
    If there's anywhere that needs the added cachet of being in a real county it's Hull.
  • Options
    I liked Kwasi, and then he made a dick of himself a year or so ago - I can't remember what over, but it changed my opinion of him quite fundamentally.
    rcs1000 said:

Kwasi Kwarteng is outstanding.

(Disclaimer: he's a friend of mine, so I'm totally biased.)
  • Options
    Trump is an arse, but he appears to have Salmond's number...
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited December 2015
    James Clevery (Braintree)
    Sajid Javid (Bromsgrove)
    Shailesh Vara (Cambridgeshire NW)
    Suella Fernandes (Fareham)
    Rehman Christie (Gillingham)
    Ranil Jayawardena (Hampshire NE)
    Alan Mak (Havant)
    Helen Grant (Maidestone)
    Alok Sharma (Reading W)
    Rishi Sunak (Richomonds, York)
    Seema Louise Ghiassi (South Ribble)
    Kwasi Kwarteng (Spelthorne)
    Nadhim Zahawi (Stratford)
    Sam Gyimah (Surray East)
    Nusrat Ghani (Wealden)
    Adam Afryie (Windsor)
    Priti Patel (Witham)

Rushanara Ali (Bethnal Green)
    Shabana Mahmood (Ladywood)
    Khalid Mahmood (Perry Barr)
    Yasmine Qureshi (Bolton SE)
    Imran Hussain (Bradford East)
    Naseem Shah (Bradford West)
    Dawn Butler (Brent Central)
    Thangam Debbonaire (Bristol West)
    Rupa Huq (Ealing Central)
    Virendra Sharma (Ealing Southall)
    Kate Osamor (Edmonton)
    Seema Malhotra (Feltham and Heston)
    Diane Abbott (Hackney North)
    Tulip Siddiq (Hampstead and Kilburn)
    Keith Vaz (Leicester East)
    Chi Onwurah (Newcastle Central)
    Clive Lewis (Norwich South)
    Mark Hendrick (Preston)
    Chuka Umunna (Streatham)
    Sadiq Khan (Tooting)
    David Lammy (Tottenham)
    Valerie Vaz (Walsall South)

Tasmina Ahmed-Sheikh (Ochil)

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

Freggles said:

watford30 said:

chestnut said:

glw said:

NHS Winter Crisis

LOL!!!!

What we really need is cross-border A&E doctors, who work the winters in both the UK and New Zealand.
    Alternatively migratory old people.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,018

Pulpstar said:

Yes - just like Middlesbrough.
    I recall from my regular visits to Ayresome Park during the 1980s that whenever a team from south of the Trent visited their supporters would at some point start a chant of 'We hate Geordies'. Then following a collective sigh, the home fans would join in the chant, before concluding 'Tee-Tee-Teessider'.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Super, many thanx. If my eyesight is right that's 17 Tories and 22 Labour - plus an SNPer?

Sajid Javid (Bromsgrove)
    Alan Mak (Havant)
    Helen Grant (Maidestone)
    Alok Sharma (Reading W)
    Sam Gyimah (Surray East)
    Nusrat Ghani (Wealden)
    Adam Afryie (Windsor)
    Priti Patel (Witham)

Kate Osamor (Edmonton)
    Mark Hendrick (Preston)
    Ciucca Umunna (Streatham)
    Sadiq Khan (Tooting)
    David Lammy (Tottenham)

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

Whenever I feel distrust of the United States I just read Lovinputin1983's posts. Any doubt I was having is then washed completely away :-)
    It is the Russia Today links that does it for me.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

It is the Russia Today links that does it for me.
    Don't diss The Truth.
  • Options

What is BME?

• Options
    @iainmartin1: PMQs: Labour's miserable year closes with Corbyn flop. (Me for @CapX on dire 12 months for opposition) https://t.co/VkeBvQIOha via @CapX
  • Options

What is BME?

Black / Minority Ethnic
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    ...If the last year has been difficult for UKIP, it has been disastrous for the Labour party. Not only did it lose the general election in May heavily (by two million votes) and get almost wiped out in Scotland, it lost some of its leading figures and ended up with an unelectable, anti-Western, far left leader who is in the process of driving the party off a cliff. Imagine if you had predicted, a year ago, that Jeremy Corbyn would today be Labour leader.

At PMQs today he was on the just okay side of dire, which shows how low expectations are. He had a decent issue in concerns about the NHS but he did nothing with it. Cameron, the victor of 2015, swatted him away time and again.
    Scott_P said:

@iainmartin1: PMQs: Labour's miserable year closes with Corbyn flop. (Me for @CapX on dire 12 months for opposition) https://t.co/VkeBvQIOha via @CapX

• Options
    How many BME MPs does UKIP have?

*Innocent Face*
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Trump is an arse, but he appears to have Salmond's number...

Indeed - if only more Brits would call Mr Salmond out for the egomaniac he obviously is.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''Imagine if you had predicted, a year ago, that Jeremy Corbyn would today be Labour leader.''

I guess means that all sorts of things are possible. Trump winning the presidency. Cameron losing the referendum.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631

Super, many thanx. If my eyesight is right that's 17 Tories and 22 Labour - plus an SNPer?

Sajid Javid (Bromsgrove)
    Alan Mak (Havant)
    Helen Grant (Maidestone)
    Alok Sharma (Reading W)
    Sam Gyimah (Surray East)
    Nusrat Ghani (Wealden)
    Adam Afryie (Windsor)
    Priti Patel (Witham)

Kate Osamor (Edmonton)
    Mark Hendrick (Preston)
    Ciucca Umunna (Streatham)
    Sadiq Khan (Tooting)
    David Lammy (Tottenham)

The Labour list looks predominantly Muslim, the Tory list is more varies, a lot more African descent in there as well.
  • Options
    ' Ed Balls was an MP'

Best bit of election night :lol: – shame there is no TV footage to record the special event….
  • Options
    @originalfm: Alex Salmond called Donald #Trump a "loser" after his windfarm legal challenge was rejected. Mr Trump's response: https://t.co/VVayMio2R7
  • Options

*Innocent Face*

How many BME managers has Liverpool FC had?
  • Options

' Ed Balls was an MP'

Best bit of election night :lol: – shame there is no TV footage to record the special event….

Yes there is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FREMA0c1bTg
  • Options
    Anyone Tory who says Ed Balls losing his seat was the highlight of election night isn't a true Tory. The highlight of the evening was this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66RuTjG1Vvk
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,734
    Wanderer said:

As a dog person I find it slightly surreal that one can buy a dog just like a kettle.

Stuffed cats?
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,006

...If the last year has been difficult for UKIP, it has been disastrous for the Labour party. Not only did it lose the general election in May heavily (by two million votes) and get almost wiped out in Scotland, it lost some of its leading figures and ended up with an unelectable, anti-Western, far left leader who is in the process of driving the party off a cliff. Imagine if you had predicted, a year ago, that Jeremy Corbyn would today be Labour leader.

At PMQs today he was on the just okay side of dire, which shows how low expectations are. He had a decent issue in concerns about the NHS but he did nothing with it. Cameron, the victor of 2015, swatted him away time and again.
    Scott_P said:

At PMQs Cameron was red-faced, shouty, aggressive, repetitive and didn't answer the questions. Not a good look. Very off putting except to dedicated Tories.

In contrast Corbyn was dignified, respectful and asked detailed pertinent questions.

Dedicated Corbynistas would say Corbyn won hands down, but I suspect uncommitted voters would also say Corbyn came out the more attractive, whether you agree with his policies or not.
  • Options

' Ed Balls was an MP'

Yes there is

How gracious Balls was in defeat.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,602
    edited December 2015
    Wanderer said:

' Ed Balls was an MP'

Yes there is

He was. I get the feeling Ozzy misses him.

There were a lot of dignified Labour losers on election night, both Jim Murphy and Douglas Alexander came out with their reputations enhanced.

I cringe at Mellorphant's response to losing in 1997
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited December 2015
    Wanderer said:

' Ed Balls was an MP'

Yes there is

://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FREMA0c1bTg
    Indeed - Got to give credit to Ed Balls where it's due, he behaved like a gent on the night.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

*Innocent Face*

How many BME managers has Liverpool FC had?
    Not sure. We've had a few Johnny Foreigners though.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    My mum had our cat Prettypaws stuffed - it was the saddest and most side-achingly funny thing I've ever seen. Bedraggled doesn't get near it.

Even 30yrs on I can't think of him without laughing out loud. He was a feline monster with a significant personality disorder!
    MattW said:

Wanderer said:

Stuffed cats?

• Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,895
    Afternoon all :)

Fascinating divergence between the methodologies of the polls but bearing in mind what happened at the GE you'd be foolish in disregarding phone polls.

Obviously we have those who are committed LEAVE, those who are committed REMAIN and a number (including many on here) who will vote the way David Cameron tells them so until we know how he will jump it's far from clear where this is going.

PMQs - watched a few minutes. Neither man on top form I thought. If I were the Conservatives, I would suggest turning down the baying and shouting - Cameron always sounds best when he doesn't have to shout to make himself heard. Corbyn is learning and is better now than he was three months ago but he didn't really put Cameron too much on the defensive I thought but there will be other days.

The IPSOS MORI VI poll suggests perhaps a small sign of a "plague on both your houses" and at present neither Party sounds convincing. The Tories are getting bogged down in the detail as they often do but Labour, as they often do, are adept at picking the wrong battles.

None of this matters too much as we move into Christmas but January is always a difficult time for Governments as people go back to work in the bleak midwinter (or early autumn as it seems to be at the moment).
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Freggles said:

watford30 said:

chestnut said:

glw said:

NHS Winter Crisis

LOL!!!!

The problem is that NHS bed occupancy runs at near 100% so cannot cope with peak demand.

Our admissions are up 10% on a year ago. Yet the plan is to cut several hundred beds in Leicester over the next five years to balance the books.

I think there may be a flaw in that plan!
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

Yes, he was - a very dignified, gracious and well-judged speech.

More generally, I think he was by far the leading senior Labour politician of those standing for re-election in 2015. If he hadn't been defeated in Morley & Outwood he'd probably be Labour leader now - and Labour would be in a massively better place.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,736

rcs1000 said:

Freggles said:

watford30 said:

chestnut said:

glw said:

NHS Winter Crisis

LOL!!!!

Alternatively migratory old people.
    Which is what basically happens in the US - 'snowbirds' to Florida etc.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

What is BME?

Black / Minority Ethnic
    Thanks, no idea why anybody thinks it's relevant to anything other than ghastly quotas I suppose.

• Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,002
    Pulpstar said:

Depends on your definition of "Yorkshire"...

* People who prefer the historic counties say "Yes" (or possibly "Yes, it's in the East Riding"). From memory, Richard Tyndall prefers them and may be able to assist you.
    * People who prefer the ceremonial counties (like me) say "Yes, it's in the East Riding of Yorkshire".
    * People who go by the local authority areas (mostly locals who go off what it says on their council tax form) say "No, it's in its own category"
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,002
    taffys said:

''Imagine if you had predicted, a year ago, that Jeremy Corbyn would today be Labour leader.''

I guess means that all sorts of things are possible. Trump winning the presidency. Cameron losing the referendum.

Indeed
  • Options

Wanderer said:

' Ed Balls was an MP'

Yes there is

He was. I get the feeling Ozzy misses him.

There were a lot of dignified Labour losers on election night, both Jim Murphy and Douglas Alexander came out with their reputations enhanced.

I cringe at Mellorphant's response to losing in 1997
    Maybe Osborne does. Being shadowed by a clown makes your own office seem less dignified perhaps?
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    'Yes, he was - a very dignified, gracious and well-judged speech'

It had to happen once in his life
This discussion has been closed.