Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Labour share of the vote in 2020

SystemSystem Posts: 11,704
edited December 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Labour share of the vote in 2020

My initial reaction was to back ‘fall’ because of the appalling personal polling figures that Jeremy Corbyn has, but to paraphrase Donald Rumsfeld, there’s quite a few known unknowns about the next general election that might have an impact on this bet, they are, inter alia,

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    First like Cruz in Iowa.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    edited December 2015
    Simon goes at it again http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-3357873/An-anti-Corbynite-s-stark-appraisal-hard-Left-s-power-grab-Simon-Danczuk.html
    Imagine for a second hordes of BNP, EDL and National Front members mounting a hostile takeover of the Conservative Party. Consider how they’d set about transforming the organisation from top to bottom.

Crazed fanatics would be swiftly installed in the leader’s office. Formerly genteel constituency party meetings would see polite and elderly blue-rinse Tories shouted down by shaven-headed thugs.

And Conservative frontbenchers would boast openly of consulting with racist organisations to decide foreign policy. It couldn’t happen, surely? It seems highly unlikely, as the Conservatives are too interested in being a party of government to allow it.

But the same chilling scenario is unfolding in the Labour Party right now. The only difference is that the fanatical ideologues who have seized power are at the other end of the political spectrum...
  • Options
    @Edmund in Tokyo

If treaty change isn't possible we should at least have a legally binding agreement separate from the big treaties. If we avoid the agreement being legally binding because we don't trust oppositions to co-operate with them, then that suggests the agreement wouldn't be upheld should one of those oppositions get into power.

The other option would be a binding agreement that it will be integrated into the next treaty, which should come along shortly to sort out the Eurozone. We could sign it into law that if this isn't done in X years, then it automatically triggers another UK referendum.
  • Options

@Edmund in Tokyo

If treaty change isn't possible we should at least have a legally binding agreement separate from the big treaties. If we avoid the agreement being legally binding because we don't trust oppositions to co-operate with them, then that suggests the agreement wouldn't be upheld should one of those oppositions get into power.

The other option would be a binding agreement that it will be integrated into the next treaty, which should come along shortly to sort out the Eurozone. We could sign it into law that if this isn't done in X years, then it automatically triggers another UK referendum.

It really would be a lot simpler to just leave and create a new relationship from scratch.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    Decent value in up, imho. But too long to get the return for me to bet - given the amount of value I think is there.
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    Indigo said:

Dair said:

And as usual your example is nonsense.

Votes for Prisoners is a consequence of rulings by the European Court for Human Rights. This has nothing to do with the EU, it is a body founded after WW2 BY THE UNITED KINGDOM. It was Churchill's legacy.

The only competence of the ECJ on voting is with regard to European elections and all they have done is incorporate existing EHCR precedent.

You also are utterly clueless about how government works. No "democratically elected" government can carry out the "democratic will of the people" without relating this to outside influence and reality. All governments regardless of membership of specific trading blocs are constrained by all manner of international agreements, laws, customs and economics.

Rich coming from you.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/11914341/Prisoners-can-be-stripped-of-the-vote-EUs-top-court-rules.html
    The European Court of Justice (ECJ) yesterday ruled that the vote may be stripped from inmates who have been convicted of “serious” crimes and where they have a right to appeal.
    Doesn't it occur to you that a sovereign nation is free to abrogate any of those agreements, laws, customs and economics and live with the consequences. Isn't that why you are trying to hard for an independent Scotland, to be free from the rUK's international agreements, laws, customs and economics, and do it your own way - except you will be joining the EU, so you can't.

Sovereign nations are not remotely free to abrogate these agreements and circumstances. A government cannot spend more than it can tax and borrow. The UK will not become a Rogue State and withdraw from the Geneva Convention, UNCLOS, etc., probably ECHR too. The consequences would be dire.

The entire sovereigntist argument against the EU is based on utter fantasy of a world which does not exist and a UK which never could exist.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,063

@Edmund in Tokyo

It really would be a lot simpler to just leave and create a new relationship from scratch.
    It would be a lot simpler to honour our promises over the years and help to make the thing work, rather than continually whinging about possibly leaving.
  • Options
    TomTom Posts: 273
    I would argue that a lower share than 2015 is a fair bet. Three key factors: Labour Leadership, Lib Dem Vote, UKIP vote. Unlikely 2015 Tories will vote Labour. With Corbyn as leader don't think any 2015 Kippers will and any return to Lib Dems of 2015 switchers is doom for Labour. Non-voters and Greens won't compensate. And even if Corbyn does go i think the upheaval/trashing of the brand (and likely splits) will dissuade swing voters. Could go either way but i'd say the downside risk is much bigger.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    If I had to pick, I'd go for 'rise'. But it is really really marginal, and I'd need to be looking at at least 25% expected return here, which this bet doesn't give.
  • Options
    Dair said:

Indigo said:

Dair said:

Votes for Prisoners is a consequence of rulings by the European Court for Human Rights. This has nothing to do with the EU, it is a body founded after WW2 BY THE UNITED KINGDOM. It was Churchill's legacy.

The only competence of the ECJ on voting is with regard to European elections and all they have done is incorporate existing EHCR precedent.

You also are utterly clueless about how government works. No "democratically elected" government can carry out the "democratic will of the people" without relating this to outside influence and reality. All governments regardless of membership of specific trading blocs are constrained by all manner of international agreements, laws, customs and economics.

Rich coming from you.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/11914341/Prisoners-can-be-stripped-of-the-vote-EUs-top-court-rules.html
    The European Court of Justice (ECJ) yesterday ruled that the vote may be stripped from inmates who have been convicted of “serious” crimes and where they have a right to appeal.
    Doesn't it occur to you that a sovereign nation is free to abrogate any of those agreements, laws, customs and economics and live with the consequences. Isn't that why you are trying to hard for an independent Scotland, to be free from the rUK's international agreements, laws, customs and economics, and do it your own way - except you will be joining the EU, so you can't.
    Sovereign nations are not remotely free to abrogate these agreements and circumstances. A government cannot spend more than it can tax and borrow. The UK will not become a Rogue State and withdraw from the Geneva Convention, UNCLOS, etc., probably ECHR too. The consequences would be dire.

The entire sovereigntist argument against the EU is based on utter fantasy of a world which does not exist and a UK which never could exist.

An argument that could equally be applied to Scottish Independence. Thankfully for both Scotland as an Independent country and the UK outside the EU it is an entirely false argument based as it is on a logical fallacy.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Staying together for the sake of the children is about to be decided by the kids. Some want to stay with Mum, others with Dad.

Post ref - I can't see Leave being happy if it goes against them, and it'll rumble on like SIndy.

@Edmund in Tokyo

It would be a lot simpler to honour our promises over the years and help to make the thing work, rather than continually whinging about possibly leaving.
  • Options
    I'm wondering it the reduction in seats/boundary changes will have any impact on turnout? Do we think there will be more or fewer (as a percentage) competitive seats?
  • Options
    LukeInLondonLukeInLondon Posts: 30
    edited December 2015

@Edmund in Tokyo

I always find that I go into any discussion on the EU starting off pro-EU and the discussion putting me off. I find it frustrating why there's always a reason a reform the UK wants can't be done. We can't negotiate a change because right now they're having to deal with the Eurozone crisis. Then when that's done, we can't talk about reform because the migration crisis is happening. We can't negotiate migration limits because it's one of the 'four fundamental freedoms'. We can't put in place changes to benefits because it goes against a 'founding principle'. A treaty amendment can't be made to protect non-Euro members because it would be too much of a convoluted process for it to happen. There's a point where you think "well, what the bloody hell is allowed then!?"
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108

Dair said:

Indigo said:

Dair said:

Rich coming from you.

An argument that could equally be applied to Scottish Independence. Thankfully for both Scotland as an Independent country and the UK outside the EU it is an entirely false argument based as it is on a logical fallacy.

The areas of similarity are not the basis and justification for Scottish Independence. Scotland needs independence to avoid becoming the next Wales, it is an economic necessity.

Nothing like this exists in the EU framework which functions purely as a trading club and all of whose strictures would exist were the UK outside of it as I highlighted before.
  • Options
    Tom said:

I'm wondering it the reduction in seats/boundary changes will have any impact on turnout? Do we think there will be more or fewer (as a percentage) competitive seats?

Fewer, shorely ?

650 -> 600
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    :+1:

I was a reluctant Remain, came to same conclusion and then looked at what I felt - and accepted I was really a Leave on some fundamental issues that I'd tried to ignore.

@Edmund in Tokyo

I always find that I go into any discussion on the EU starting off pro-EU and the discussion putting me off. I find it frustrating why there's always a reason a reform the UK wants can't be done. We can't negotiate a change because right now they're having to deal with the Eurozone crisis. Then when that's done, we can't talk about reform because the migration crisis is happening. We can't negotiate migration limits because it's one of the 'four fundamental freedoms'. We can't put in place changes to benefits because it goes against a 'founding principle'. A treaty amendment can't be made because it would be too much of a convoluted process for it to happen. There's a point where you think "well, what the bloody hell is allowed then!?"
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

@Edmund in Tokyo

Even if it transpires within the next 18 months to be not what the people actually want ? How very democratic.
  • Options
    Afternoon all.

Seems like a long time to tie up capital for what (to a novice at least) looks like poor odds.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited December 2015

@Edmund in Tokyo

The gold plating of EU laws in the Blair years worked wonders for our influence... Short of joining the euro the UK will always operate on the sidelines.
  • Options
    Dair said:

If the Kippers got about another 10% at the last election, the UK would have left the EHCR and the EU. If Podemas wins in Spain (yes, I know) then they will pull Spain out of the EHCR, the EU and NATO. FN in France would result in similar things happening in France. All these things are possible if the populations are pissed off enough.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Tom said:

Fewer, shorely ?

650 -> 600
    Indeed, but as a percentage ie. will bigger seats be more marginal town/city + suburb type seats/breaking down inner vs outer London. I suppose my question is whether more voters will live in competitive seats.
  • Options
    Dair said:

Dair said:

Indigo said:

Dair said:

Rich coming from you.

The areas of similarity are not the basis and justification for Scottish Independence. Scotland needs independence to avoid becoming the next Wales, it is an economic necessity.

Nothing like this exists in the EU framework which functions purely as a trading club and all of whose strictures would exist were the UK outside of it as I highlighted before.

Absolutely wrong and even the most ardent pro Europeans would not argue that the EU functions purely as a trading club. You really are quite detached from reality if that is what you believe.
  • Options
    Is there a substantial difference in TO for marginal seats vs safe ones?

I've gone stats snowblind and seen too many *conventional wisdom debunked* ones to remember.
    Tom said:

Pulpstar said:

Tom said:

Fewer, shorely ?

650 -> 600
    Indeed, but as a percentage ie. will bigger seats be more marginal town/city + suburb type seats/breaking down inner vs outer London. I suppose my question is whether more voters will live in competitive seats.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    I'm inclined to think down is the value though I wonder if I'm letting personal dislike of Corbyn influence me.

My reasoning:

His personal ratings really are dire, considering this is his honeymoon.
    The terrorist-lover mud is very likely to stick.
    While the Tories may split, that wouldn't necessarily increase Labour's vote share.
    UKIP might indeed surge after the referendum but I don't see how that increases Labour's share either. Surely it would reduce both that and the Tory share?
    Labour itself may split. I think the chances of this are quite high as Corbyn's opponents really have no other option.
    I don't expect Labour to recover significantly in Scotland.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    Tom said:

Pulpstar said:

Tom said:

Fewer, shorely ?

650 -> 600
    Might there be more competitive seats simply because they will all be slightly unfamiliar to incumbents?
  • Options

:+1:

I was a reluctant Remain, came to same conclusion and then looked at what I felt - and accepted I was really a Leave on some fundamental issues that I'd tried to ignore.

@Edmund in Tokyo

I always find that I go into any discussion on the EU starting off pro-EU and the discussion putting me off. I find it frustrating why there's always a reason a reform the UK wants can't be done. We can't negotiate a change because right now they're having to deal with the Eurozone crisis. Then when that's done, we can't talk about reform because the migration crisis is happening. We can't negotiate migration limits because it's one of the 'four fundamental freedoms'. We can't put in place changes to benefits because it goes against a 'founding principle'. A treaty amendment can't be made because it would be too much of a convoluted process for it to happen. There's a point where you think "well, what the bloody hell is allowed then!?"
    I don't think anyone's head says Leave whilst their heart says Stay. It was much the same in the Scottish Referendum which is why it was despicable of Cammo to get HMQ to suggest to the Scots that they should "think carefully" before they voted.

Politicians who involve the Crown in politics deserve punishment.

• Options

Is there a substantial difference in TO for marginal seats vs safe ones?

I've gone stats snowblind and seen too many *conventional wisdom debunked* ones to remember.

Tom said:

Pulpstar said:

Tom said:

Fewer, shorely ?

650 -> 600
    Good question. I know that nearly all of the seats with the lowest turnouts are safe Labour ones (one of the reasons why the 'mobilising non-voters strategy seems doomed). But that is probably simply demographics rather than competitiveness. I haven't seen any studies which, holding demographics constant, show whether turnout is higher where the outcome is more uncertain. Clearly parties target more resources at those seats.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

Simon goes at it again http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-3357873/An-anti-Corbynite-s-stark-appraisal-hard-Left-s-power-grab-Simon-Danczuk.html

Imagine for a second hordes of BNP, EDL and National Front members mounting a hostile takeover of the Conservative Party. Consider how they’d set about transforming the organisation from top to bottom.

Crazed fanatics would be swiftly installed in the leader’s office. Formerly genteel constituency party meetings would see polite and elderly blue-rinse Tories shouted down by shaven-headed thugs.

And Conservative frontbenchers would boast openly of consulting with racist organisations to decide foreign policy. It couldn’t happen, surely? It seems highly unlikely, as the Conservatives are too interested in being a party of government to allow it.

But the same chilling scenario is unfolding in the Labour Party right now. The only difference is that the fanatical ideologues who have seized power are at the other end of the political spectrum...
    Perhaps Simon Daczuk is the modern David Owen? :)

I would expect next year to be the year of the Labour split if only I could bring myself to believe that

a) Labour MPs had the nerve to do it, and

b) Labour voters could stop voting tribally.

• Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Tom said:

I would argue that a lower share than 2015 is a fair bet. Three key factors: Labour Leadership, Lib Dem Vote, UKIP vote. Unlikely 2015 Tories will vote Labour. With Corbyn as leader don't think any 2015 Kippers will and any return to Lib Dems of 2015 switchers is doom for Labour. Non-voters and Greens won't compensate. And even if Corbyn does go i think the upheaval/trashing of the brand (and likely splits) will dissuade swing voters. Could go either way but i'd say the downside risk is much bigger.

Well lets consider the ComRes poll which is the most unfavourable for Labour.
    Voter retention from 2015:
    CON 90
    LAB 85
    UKIP 8
    LD 60

Labour loses to (LAB 2015 vote):
    CON 3
    LD 4
    UKIP 5

Labour gains from (Other Parties 2015 vote):
    CON 1
    LD 17
    UKIP 5

The average voter profile of both Labour and the LD is still changing after the 2015 GE, look also at the Corbyn doing a good job ratings among voters now and those from 2015:

Voters now:
    LAB 56
    LD 14
    UKIP 9
    CON 6

2015 Voters:
    LAB 44
    LD 26
    UKIP 13
    CON 7

So about 10% of Labour voters who don't like Corbyn have left mainly for the LD and UKIP, and about 15% of LD who like Corbyn left the LD for Labour, plus a few from UKIP who also liked Corbyn and went to Labour.
    As a result Labour becomes becomes more and more Corbyn friendly as it attracts Corbyn supporters from other parties and repels Corbyn haters to other parties mainly the LD and UKIP, Labour becomes more left wing, LD&UKIP more right wing.

My guess is that the Labour vote share wont budge from 2015 levels.
    In terms of seats I can predict that Labour will do very poorly in the Tory heartland of the east midlands where Corbyn hate and Cameron love is most extreme there, especially in seats that pensioners are in very large numbers since that is the only common thing among Corbyn's and Cameron's approvals.
  • Options

@Edmund in Tokyo

The problem is that the system has been set up so that it cannot be made to work and there is no way to change it - it is designed to keeping chugging along in the direction of "ever closer union".
  • Options
    Speedy, don't think we are disagreeing here. But there are severe diminishing returns on attracting leftish Lib Dems (are there now any left?) whereas i reckon there are still a lot of centrist/rightish Labour voters who are sticking with Labour for the time being. As that poll shows Labour below its 2015 level i don't see much upside.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Whatever one thinks of Osborne's personal ambitions - he seems keen to prise those soft centre/right-Labour voters off to the Tories.

I saw an advert earlier today about the Homeowners ISA - for every £200 deposited, you'll get £50 from HMG up to £3k.

It looked a very attractive and simple offer to me.
    Tom said:

Speedy, don't think we are disagreeing here. But there are severe diminishing returns on attracting leftish Lib Dems (are there now any left?) whereas i reckon there are still a lot of centrist/rightish Labour voters who are sticking with Labour for the time being. As that poll shows Labour below its 2015 level i don't see much upside.

• Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    edited December 2015
    There is a set of statistics very rarely mentioned. It is to do with the losing major party's votes at the following election. Counter intuitively they actually go down:

1955 Labour vote went down from 1951

1966 Tory vote went down from 1964

1974 Feb Labour vote went down from 1970

1974 Oct Tory vote went down from 1974 Feb

1983 Labour vote went down from 1979

except

2001 Tory vote went UP slightly * from 1997

2015 Labour vote went UP slightly more ^ from 2010

Tory vote went up slightly compared to 1997

^ Miliband's Labour actually bucked the trend even better despite the big loss in Scotland. Labour gained vote share in every other region except Scotland where it almost halved !

• Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited December 2015
    OT..Just been browsing through the Global report from France..the one that is going to save the Planet...couldn't see how.. anywhere..we are just going to throw 65 billion pounds at the worlds poorest countries..which will be rapidly followed by luxury car salesmen and golf course designers...absolute total hogwash..
  • Options

Whatever one thinks of Osborne's personal ambitions - he seems keen to prise those soft centre/right-Labour voters off to the Tories.

I saw an advert earlier today about the Homeowners ISA - for every £200 deposited, you'll get £50 from HMG up to £3k.

Tom said:

If the deposit is 15k in total, what's the maximum price? £300k? How far out of London do you have to go to find a 2-bed for that money? Lincolnshire?

• Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    What's labour's vote share going to be in 2020?

I'm roughly X% confident it will be between Y% & Z%

X, Y-Z;
    99%, 0%-60%
    75%, 17.5%-45%
    50%, 20%-40%

Basically, I dunno. These are strange times. 2020 may well be an even stranger time.

Can anyone predict the 50% confidence band with any more certainty?
  • Options
    Pong said:

X, Y-Z;
    99%, 0%-60%
    75%, 17.5%-45%
    50%, 20%-40%

Basically, I dunno. These are strange times. 2020 may well be an even stranger time.

Only 50% to be between 20% - 40% ? The lowest ever [ in the last 80 years ] being 27%
  • Options

Tom said:

If the deposit is 15k in total, what's the maximum price? £300k? How far out of London do you have to go to find a 2-bed for that money? Lincolnshire?

£650 max. What interest rates do these ISAs offer ? What other conditions ? In London and surrounds, this is practically useless.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,967
    edited December 2015
    surbiton said:

There is a set of statistics very rarely mentioned. It is to do with the losing major party's votes at the following election. Counter intuitively they actually go down:

except

^ Miliband's Labour actually bucked the trend even better despite the big loss in Scotland. Labour gained vote share in every other region except Scotland where it almost halved !

Bear in mind that the Lib Dem vote share was down by 16%. It would have been astonishing if Labour could not have gained any of that.

Also (and as UKIP also found to its cost) it's not how many votes you win that matters under FPTP; it's *where* you win them. Labour pushed up its vote strongly in most safe seats, and in quite a lot of unwinnable seats. But it did badly in Con/Lab marginals. And, the rout in Scotland cost 40 seats, nearly 7% of the total, despite the loss of votes amounting to no more than 1.2% of the UK total

• Options
    As a purely random thought .... if Labour MPs wanted to split away from Corbyn's Labour, the "conventional wisdom" is SDP Mk 2. What if, instead of that, they defected to the Lib Dems? An established party that is not a million miles away from the Labour Right and could do with the extra MPs as a way of beefing up their Westminster presence.
  • Options
    @TSE.

One of the consequences of the Tory pledge to reduce the number of seats from 650 to 600 does not have the same consequences for Labour as it did prior to 2015. The distribution of the votes more or less actually achieved that.

If the Boundary Commission acts independently as it is obliged to do, then many new marginal seats will be thrown up and presumably close to half of those may indeed favour Labour.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Tom said:

£650 max. What interest rates do these ISAs offer ? What other conditions ? In London and surrounds, this is practically useless.
    You can cumulatively use the various initiatives (Support for deposit, interest free loans, ISA, Starter Homes) - it is a narrow band but along with RSL Right to Buys could be of benefit to sufficient voters in mid-range house price areas (Nuneaton, Broxtowe etc.) to make a difference. Along with Housing Association RTB they are a fairly transparent attempt at Clientelism.

Given neither party is willing to countenance any major changes to the housing market/property taxation you either target buyers or social renters with resources and Planning Gain. Understandably from his point of view Osborne has chosen the former.
  • Options
    "What's labour's vote share going to be in 2020?"

Higher than it was in 2015 unless the party splits and loses a LOT of MPs.
  • Options
    CornishBlueCornishBlue Posts: 840
    edited December 2015

OT..Just been browsing through the Global report from France..the one that is going to save the Planet...couldn't see how.. anywhere..we are just going to throw 65 billion pounds at the worlds poorest countries..which will be rapidly followed by luxury car salesmen and golf course designers...absolute total hogwash..

That's because this is not a deal about combating climate change in the main. Climate change is just a cover. I quote the official third (of three) of the Aims of the deal:

"(c) Making finance flows consistent with a pathway towards low greenhouse gas emissions and climate-resilient development."

Yes, "finance flows". Basically we're witnessing the beginning of a global welfare system, with nations rather than people getting welfare handouts.

This is a disaster of unfathomable proportions. Naturally everyone in the West just sucks it up. Well, I've had enough. Not sure what I can do about it though... go off-grid, pay no tax, emigrate, who knows.
  • Options
    Evening Standard
    More than half of all new cases of FGM occurred in London, official figures show
    https://t.co/7bl1DAezJ1 https://t.co/0vj3rKZ8wi
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,978

@Edmund in Tokyo

I always find that I go into any discussion on the EU starting off pro-EU and the discussion putting me off. I find it frustrating why there's always a reason a reform the UK wants can't be done. We can't negotiate a change because right now they're having to deal with the Eurozone crisis. Then when that's done, we can't talk about reform because the migration crisis is happening. We can't negotiate migration limits because it's one of the 'four fundamental freedoms'. We can't put in place changes to benefits because it goes against a 'founding principle'. A treaty amendment can't be made to protect non-Euro members because it would be too much of a convoluted process for it to happen. There's a point where you think "well, what the bloody hell is allowed then!?"
    But we are negotiating a change. You may consider it inadequate[1] but the negotiation is ongoing and will produce a result

[1] given the tenor of this board, I assume everybody will clasp their hand to their forehead and say "oh, if only Cameron had negotiated X I'd've voted STAY, but he didn't, such a pity..." where X = 10% more of Y
    and Y = whatever Cameron negotiates.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Tom said:

Tories 38
    Labour 31

Was and is my prediction of the 2020 GE under Corbyn since this summer.
    Corbyn is a polarizing figure, there will be little change on the voting totals as shown already, but there is a change in the makeup of those totals.
    It's the way of it that you can already do some reasonable assumption as to which seats will Labour gain and lose with a stable vote share.

For instance hatred of Corbyn is concentrated among the over 65's in the East Midlands with no special class preference, which are also the only groups that like Cameron too (although C2DE's prefer UKIP), therefore it is easy to assume that Labour will not win an extra seat there but lose a few, but which ones?
    Looking at the demographic profile of each seat you easily see N.E Derbyshire and Gedling being sure loses, with Mansfield and Chesterfield on possible loses.

On the other hand David Cameron, according to Comres, is more unpopular with voters under the age of 55 than Corbyn is, something that has been overlooked, regionally that is in the N.W, N.E, Wales and in London where Corbyn has better net figures than Cameron.
    So you can expect Labour to do well in terms of seat gains in those areas where pensioners are fewer than average.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

except

Bear in mind that the Lib Dem vote share was down by 16%. It would have been astonishing if Labour could not have gained any of that.

Also (and as UKIP also found to its cost) it's not how many votes you win that matters under FPTP; it's *where* you win them. Labour pushed up its vote strongly in most safe seats, and in quite a lot of unwinnable seats. But it did badly in Con/Lab marginals. And, the rout in Scotland cost 40 seats, nearly 7% of the total, despite the loss of votes amounting to no more than 1.2% of the UK total

Sean, as you know the Lib Dem's fall had the net effect that every other party [ after the churn ] benefited, not Labour alone. Tories went up slightly 0.8%, Labour 1.4%, Others 12.9% [ UKIP, Greens, SNP all gained ]
  • Options

That's because this is not a deal about combating climate change in the main. Climate change is just a cover. I quote the official third (of three) of the Aims of the deal:

"(c) Making finance flows consistent with a pathway towards low greenhouse gas emissions and climate-resilient development."

Basically we're witnessing the beginning of a global welfare system, with nations rather than people getting welfare handouts.

This is a disaster of unfathomable proportions. Naturally everyone in the West just sucks it up. Well, I've had enough. Not sure what I can do about it though... go off-grid, pay no tax, emigrate, who knows.
    I think you mean "leaders of nations getting welfare handouts"

Presumably the £65 bn will be recycled back into Western deposit accounts, and the property markets of Western capital cities.

• Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited December 2015
    surbiton said:

Pong said:

X, Y-Z;
    99%, 0%-60%
    75%, 17.5%-45%
    50%, 20%-40%

Only 50% to be between 20% - 40% ? The lowest ever [ in the last 80 years ] being 27%
    20% is a bit low, 22.5% perhaps?

I wouldn't have it any higher than the 24.3% Lab got in Scotland.

4 years is a hell of a long time long time and politics is speeding up. Parties can collapse in real-time.

There is no God-given right for the labour party to exist.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048

As a purely random thought .... if Labour MPs wanted to split away from Corbyn's Labour, the "conventional wisdom" is SDP Mk 2. What if, instead of that, they defected to the Lib Dems? An established party that is not a million miles away from the Labour Right and could do with the extra MPs as a way of beefing up their Westminster presence.

Not a chance. They've always had an interest in ridiculing the lds even when they had dozens of MP's to call them a wasted vote, and the brand is currently dead in the water. Add to that would the lds want to be taken over, image wise, as a new labour party. Some former red liberals maybe, but at the cost of the few who are left perhaps, who are the core nota but not ukip either vote.
  • Options

Yes, "finance flows". Basically we're witnessing the beginning of a global welfare system, with nations rather than people getting welfare handouts.

The system is not brilliant but good. Developing countries will benefit from the transfer but in the main will use the money to buy more from developed countries. It is like a mini Marshall Plan.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Basically we're witnessing the beginning of a global welfare system, with nations rather than people getting welfare handouts.

I think you mean "leaders of nations getting welfare handouts"

Presumably the £65 bn will be recycled back into Western deposit accounts, and the property markets of Western capital cities.

Well, quite.
  • Options

Evening Standard
    More than half of all new cases of FGM occurred in London, official figures show

Well, they're hardly going to occur in Somerset or Shropshire or Cumbria.

You import third world people, you get third world problems.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Pong said:

surbiton said:

Pong said:

X, Y-Z;
    99%, 0%-60%
    75%, 17.5%-45%
    50%, 20%-40%

4 years is a hell of a long time long time and politics is speeding up. Parties can collapse in real-time.

There could also be two Tory parties after the referendum ! Wouldn't it be better if we had AMS ?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,391
    At the moment and for as long as Corbyn remains in charge I think the better bet is down. I cannot see Labour gaining sufficient votes from the left to compensate for those that are going to be lost in the centre. I think that Miliband did a pretty good job of cleaning those votes up already, hence the disappointing results for the Greens and the Lib Dems in 2015.

But it is not an attractive bet. A tory party that has torn itself apart on the referendum, with less attractive leadership, possibly facing a slow down and a persistent deficit could, just maybe, make Labour look more attractive, especially if Corbyn has gone. Tying money up on those kind of odds for 4 years makes very little sense.
  • Options
    CornishBlueCornishBlue Posts: 840
    edited December 2015

@Edmund in Tokyo

It's because we think along lines of British politics/philosophy, in which change occurs in an incremental and consensual manner, with no particular ideological goal but done on what is necessary for a pragmatic outcome.

This is not the continental European way.

We are up against a political elite in Europe who are convinced that there is one solution for Europe and not only must they go forward with their programme but that it is in any case inevitable.
  • Options
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Hmm. Quite hard to predict this. I'd guess down.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Tom said:

People in London and surrounds need to remember that we are a minority of the country.
  • Options

Evening Standard

They have enough problems coping with floods and waiting for government funds to pour in !
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    Pong said:

surbiton said:

Pong said:

X, Y-Z;
    99%, 0%-60%
    75%, 17.5%-45%
    50%, 20%-40%

No, but it's so hard for them to disappear in the absence of credible alternatives for support to flock to, so chances are no one will have the guts to try it. So if they do continue to exist there should be enough dissatisfaction to keep their vote floor respectable. If they actually provide a decent offer, matching or exceeding last time is no great challenge.
  • Options

surbiton said:

Tom said:

People in London and surrounds need to remember that we are a minority of the country.
    We pay the taxes, they spend it !
  • Options
    edited December 2015

Tom said:

not that far

I am aware that this board has users that are unusually rich: I think at least two have a net worth in the millions. But even given that, I am surprised by the equanimity with which "£300K" was recieved. You'd need a salary of over 70K and be under 40 to get that. Most adults do not fall into that category.

[Edit to repair HTML]
  • Options
    Mr. Surbiton, generally accurate. But then, imagine London had been independent during the financial crisis. The rest of the UK benefits from London taxes, but it's not a one-way street.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Evening Standard

They have enough problems coping with floods and waiting for government funds to pour in !
    Ha. The government rather spends billions on flood defences all over the bloody world, but not in the English shires... you know, the shires that not only elect the government but also fund it.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Pong said:

surbiton said:

Pong said:

X, Y-Z;
    99%, 0%-60%
    75%, 17.5%-45%
    50%, 20%-40%

There could also be two Tory parties after the referendum ! Wouldn't it be better if we had AMS ?
    Two classes of MPs? Mass confusion over the purpose of the second vote? No ta.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

At the moment and for as long as Corbyn remains in charge I think the better bet is down. I cannot see Labour gaining sufficient votes from the left to compensate for those that are going to be lost in the centre. I think that Miliband did a pretty good job of cleaning those votes up already, hence the disappointing results for the Greens and the Lib Dems in 2015.

But it is not an attractive bet. A tory party that has torn itself apart on the referendum, with less attractive leadership, possibly facing a slow down and a persistent deficit could, just maybe, make Labour look more attractive, especially if Corbyn has gone. Tying money up on those kind of odds for 4 years makes very little sense.

Worst case scenario for the Tories in England and Wales, even if they completely ripped themselves apart over the Referendum, is Labour, left wing Conservatives, and right wing Conservatives + UKIP, finishing on about 30% each.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Pong said:

surbiton said:

Pong said:

X, Y-Z;
    99%, 0%-60%
    75%, 17.5%-45%
    50%, 20%-40%

The Tory party is NOT going to split - I keep hearing this and it is the most ludicrous wishful thinking from the Left/UKIP.

If anything, whatever the outcome, and once things settle down, the Tories will benefit from a UKIP that has lost its core/original raison d'être... and then UKIP will no doubt focus mainly on immigration and that will hurt Labour more in t'North.
  • Options
    The Help to Buy ISA obviously won't be enough on it's own, but it puts FTBs in a position that is better than they otherwise would have been.
  • Options
    Quite.

surbiton said:

Pong said:

surbiton said:

Pong said:

X, Y-Z;
    99%, 0%-60%
    75%, 17.5%-45%
    50%, 20%-40%

The Tory party is NOT going to split - I keep hearing this and it is the most ludicrous wishful thinking from the Left/UKIP.

If anything, whatever the outcome, and once things settle down, the Tories will benefit from a UKIP that has lost its core/original raison d'être... and then UKIP will no doubt focus mainly on immigration and that will hurt Labour more in t'North.
  • Options
    On topic

I tried to press "fall" but I couldn't get it to work, I assume a ~10% lead at this stage in the electoral cycle will result in a large drop in Labour's vote in 2020
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

The Help to Buy ISA obviously won't be enough on it's own, but it puts FTBs in a position that is better than they otherwise would have been.

At the expense of others
  • Options

If you're interested, the Labour Party was as profoundly divided on Europe then as Con is now. Yet a year after the 1975 ref it was a non-issue. See also the AV referendum.

• Options
    viewcode said:

Pulpstar said:

At the expense of others
    In current circumstances, like all demand side subsidies, it principally benefits existing homeowners.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    surbiton said:

The system is not brilliant but good. Developing countries will benefit from the transfer but in the main will use the money to buy more from developed countries. It is like a mini Marshall Plan.
    Except that the evidence is strongly that when you make countries a bit better off, the number of people that leave and try and migrate to rich counties goes up sharply (they can afford the air fares, and to pay the traffickers) and its only when those countries become much better off, approaching the standard of living of the richer countries that the number of migrants goes down. These people tend to be the more able, more driven, smarter people, so the economy left behind suffers as a result.

If we are determined to follow this course we will need very strong frontiers.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Labour lost it's centrist votes over time since 2001, there are very few left, probably around 15% of the Labour vote in the GE according to some polls, and most of them left already since Corbyn's election.
    But it hasn't impacted Labour a bit, 31 in the GE, around 31 still, simply because Corbyn is attracting a lot of LD and a few UKIP's to compensate for those who left to the LD and UKIP.
    So net change is zero.

Also this factor that is overlooked, from the comres poll:

Is Corbyn/Cameron doing a good job, net by age:

18-24: +17 / -27
    25-34: +16 / -26
    35-44: -15 / -22
    45-54: -25 / -23
    55-64: -38 / -2
    65+: -52 / +18

Time to dust up the old maps of pensioner share in constituencies, for that will be the dominant factor in 2020 in seats, since pensioners love Cameron and detest Corbyn, but those under the age of 55 like Corbyn more than Cameron, but it's also geographical:

Scotland: -12 / -26
    N.E : -8 / -14
    N.W : -14/ -17
    Y&H. : -26/ -9
    W.Mid. :-20/ -12
    E.Mid. : -39/ +4
    Wales : -8/ -23
    East : -37/ -3
    London : -8/ -16
    S.E. : -31/ -9
    S.W. : -24/-9

So the focus in 2020 will be in Labour seats in the East Midlands (since Labour has got almost no seats left in the East, or the S.E) with lots of pensioners (I named 4 earlier) and Tory seats in the N.W, N.E, Wales and London with few pensioners.

• Options
    edited December 2015
    Surbiton... that applies to everyone.. not just Londoners..
  • Options
    Can you point me to evidence that there are very few 'centrist' Labour voters left (serious question, i'm genuinely interested)

And I agree with OGH that the 'doing a good job' question is a bad one.

I also suspect given your description of the churn - and leaving the boundary changes aside -that results in a net loss of seats with a constant vote as there simply aren't any seats with substantial numbers of left wing 2015 Lib Dems that Labour didn't already hold or gain. Local election results seem to bear this out.

• Options
    edited December 2015
    Speedy said:

DavidL said:

Labour lost it's centrist votes over time since 2001, there are very few left, probably around 15% of the Labour vote in the GE according to some polls, and most of them left already since Corbyn's election.
    But it hasn't impacted Labour a bit, 31 in the GE, around 31 still, simply because Corbyn is attracting a lot of LD and a few UKIP's to compensate for those who left to the LD and UKIP.
    So net change is zero.

Also this factor that is overlooked, from the comres poll:

Is Corbyn/Cameron doing a good job, net by age:

18-24: +17 / -27
    25-34: +16 / -26
    35-44: -15 / -22
    45-54: -25 / -23
    55-64: -38 / -2
    65+: -52 / +18

Time to dust up the old maps of pensioner share in constituencies, for that will be the dominant factor in 2020 in seats, since pensioners love Cameron and detest Corbyn, but those under the age of 55 like Corbyn more than Cameron, but it's also geographical:

Scotland: -12 / -26
    N.E : -8 / -14
    N.W : -14/ -17
    Y&H. : -26/ -9
    W.Mid. :-20/ -12
    E.Mid. : -39/ +4
    Wales : -8/ -23
    East : -37/ -3
    London : -8/ -16
    S.E. : -31/ -9
    S.W. : -24/-9

So the focus in 2020 will be in Labour seats in the East Midlands (since Labour has got almost no seats left in the East, or the S.E) with lots of pensioners (I named 4 earlier) and Tory seats in the N.W, N.E, Wales and London with few pensioners.

45-54 is the tipping point. The Conservatives lead Labour 34/29% and Cameron leads Corbyn 29/22% among that group, according to Com Res.

• Options

surbiton said:

Pong said:

surbiton said:

Pong said:

X, Y-Z;
    99%, 0%-60%
    75%, 17.5%-45%
    50%, 20%-40%

Cameron's successor is IMHO likely to be a Eurosceptic, because that is where most of the members are. If Cameron does step down in 2018 we are more likely to have going into GE 2020.
    A Labour party led by Corbyn or a hard left successor to him.
    A Conservative party led by a Eurosceptic and probably more right wing than Cameron.
    A UKIP party that after the referendum has no main purpose (In or out the EC), those votes are more likely going to the Conservatives.

Which leaves the question as to whether we are going to have a significant europhile/centrist/Blairite/Progress/establishment/statist party come together? Will it be a new party or will it be formed from the Lib Dems? As an army it will have the Officers at the start, but will it have many troops and the finance?
  • Options

surbiton said:

Pong said:

surbiton said:

Pong said:

X, Y-Z;
    99%, 0%-60%
    75%, 17.5%-45%
    50%, 20%-40%

That's only right if 'Leave' wins. If 'Remain' wins, not only will UKIP still have its original raison d'etre, but it will have been front and centre in the political debate for a couple of months. That can only benefit them. Thinking about it, UKIP collapsing could be the best reason for voting out!
  • Options
    Mr. London, perhaps. Farage is not the asset he was, and the party seems to be losing both financial backers and members.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068
    I'm waiting for everyone on the site to say:

"Oh great rcs1000, we are sorry we ever doubted you. We now realise the EU renegotiation thing was not all a prearranged farce."

(It is, instead, a farce of the kind I forecast: where Cameron struggles to get all 27 other EU members to agree anything at all. Because they all have their pet desires, wants and needs.)
  • Options

surbiton said:

Pong said:

surbiton said:

Pong said:

X, Y-Z;
    99%, 0%-60%
    75%, 17.5%-45%
    50%, 20%-40%

Cameron's successor is IMHO likely to be a Eurosceptic, because that is where most of the members are. If Cameron does step down in 2018 we are more likely to have going into GE 2020.
    A Conservative party led by a Eurosceptic and probably more right wing than Cameron.
    A UKIP party that after the referendum has no main purpose (In or out the EC), those votes are more likely going to the Conservatives.

Which leaves the question as to whether we are going to have a significant europhile/centrist/Blairite/Progress/establishment/statist party come together? Will it be a new party or will it be formed from the Lib Dems? As an army it will have the Officers at the start, but will it have many troops and the finance?
    What is your evidence that the majority of the current membership of the Tory party are Eurosceptic? I would be interested to see it.

I think that this was once undoubtedly true but given the growth of UKIP and the number of sceptics that left I really doubt it is now. If able people such as SeanF came back to the party it might be different but I think that will only happen if UKIP becomes even more embarrassing than it is now.
  • Options
    LukeInLondonLukeInLondon Posts: 30
    edited December 2015
    viewcode said:

@Edmund in Tokyo

But we are negotiating a change. You may consider it inadequate[1] but the negotiation is ongoing and will produce a result

[1] given the tenor of this board, I assume everybody will clasp their hand to their forehead and say "oh, if only Cameron had negotiated X I'd've voted STAY, but he didn't, such a pity..." where X = 10% more of Y
    and Y = whatever Cameron negotiates.
    The quote you bolded was referring to what was said in about 2011 when the UK tried to negotiate on the budget, and the rest of the EU criticised us, not the current discussions. As I mentioned earlier, the significant part of this renegotiation is whether the Eurogroup will be able to force new law through on its own or not. That is still all to play for. As I'm saying this before the result is known, I don't think I can be criticised for having a variable X!
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I'm waiting for everyone on the site to say:

"Oh great rcs1000, we are sorry we ever doubted you. We now realise the EU renegotiation thing was not all a prearranged farce."

(It is, instead, a farce of the kind I forecast: where Cameron struggles to get all 27 other EU members to agree anything at all. Because they all have their pet desires, wants and needs.)

I trust you are not holding your breath. It could get painful.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

surbiton said:

Pong said:

surbiton said:

Pong said:

X, Y-Z;
    99%, 0%-60%
    75%, 17.5%-45%
    50%, 20%-40%

What is your evidence that the majority of the current membership of the Tory party are Eurosceptic? I would be interested to see it.

I think that this was once undoubtedly true but given the growth of UKIP and the number of sceptics that left I really doubt it is now. If able people such as SeanF came back to the party it might be different but I think that will only happen if UKIP becomes even more embarrassing than it is now.
    The surveys from Conhome when they share the membership parts have shown a consistent picture. Anecdotally, my own discussions with members show a move to the Leave camp.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068

The surveys from Conhome when they share the membership parts have shown a consistent picture. Anecdotally, my own discussions with members show a move to the Leave camp.

While that's true: if the vote is a clear one in favour of staying, then there is no chance the Conservative Party's official policy will become BOO.

If it is a very close result - say 51:49 in favour of staying - then I fear for the Conservative Party.
  • Options

Even if that is the case is it likely to be determinative in a leadership election following an 'In' vote (assuming for the moment that happens). I have no idea about the internal machinations of the Cons but won't they be looking for the most likely election winner?
  • Options

surbiton said:

Evening Standard

Ha. The government rather spends billions on flood defences all over the bloody world, but not in the English shires... you know, the shires that not only elect the government but also fund it.
    Shires, pay the taxes. You are having a laugh ! Agricultural subsidies...Red diesel....miles and miles of roads with three cars.... the same postal charges......flood defence costs after building houses in river valleys. All paid by us !
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

While that's true: if the vote is a clear one in favour of staying, then there is no chance the Conservative Party's official policy will become BOO.

If it is a very close result - say 51:49 in favour of staying - then I fear for the Conservative Party.
    That is exactly my point. It will be just like the SNP ... the BOOs will want another referendum.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Cornish Blue... Surbiton is one of those city dwellers who thinks meat and veg is made at the back of the supermarket..and fields are just green places surrounded by trees..
  • Options
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Evening Standard

Shires, pay the taxes. You are having a laugh ! Agricultural subsidies...Red diesel....miles and miles of roads with three cars.... the same postal charges......flood defence costs after building houses in river valleys. All paid by us !
    At a guess, I imagine that all the counties in the South, except Cornwall, plus Essex, Suffolk, Cambridgeshire, Northants., Warwickshire, Rutland, Leicestershire, Cheshire, North Yorkshire, and East Yorkshire would be net contributors to the public purse, when the budget is close to balance.
  • Options

surbiton said:

Pong said:

surbiton said:

Pong said:

X, Y-Z;
    99%, 0%-60%
    75%, 17.5%-45%
    50%, 20%-40%

The ANC are still around 21 years after Apartheid.
    The Congress Party in India are still around 68 years after Independence.
  • Options

Cornish Blue Surbiton is one of those city dwellers who thinks meat and veg is made at the back of the supermarket..and fields are just green places surrounded by trees..

Farmers are the biggest guzzlers of subsidies.
  • Options

surbiton said:

Pong said:

surbiton said:

Pong said:

X, Y-Z;
    99%, 0%-60%
    75%, 17.5%-45%
    50%, 20%-40%

The ANC are still around 21 years after Apartheid.
    The Congress Party in India are still around 68 years after Independence.
    With 44 seats in a Parliament of 535 after many, many , many splits in probably every State.

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    surbiton said:

Cornish Blue Surbiton is one of those city dwellers who thinks meat and veg is made at the back of the supermarket..and fields are just green places surrounded by trees..

bankers i should think
  • Options

surbiton said:

bankers i should think
    Fair enough. Some of them buy farms !
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    A reminder that today is the second round of the French Regional elections, the opinion pollsters expect that the FN will fail to win a single region.
This discussion has been closed.