Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Seven weeks to go before Iowa and Trump remains totally dom

Comments

• Options

I hope this monstrosity is never built:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-35026103

If it is let it at least be renamed. One Undershaft? What kind of name is that.
    It would be its address. Undershaft is a road.
    I get that but similar skyscrapers that have been built lately have names that supersede the address don't they? The Gherkin is not its address is it? It's the name.

This ought to have a name too.
    1 Canada Square = Canary Wharf
    20 Fenchurch Street = Walkie-talkie
    30 St Mary Axe = Gherkin
    32 London Bridge Street = Das Shard
    110 Bishopsgate = Heron Tower
    122 Leadenhall St = Cheese-grater
    Of these, I believe The Shard and Heron Tower are official.
    122 Leadenhall St has the official name "the Leadenhall Building".
  • Options

Dr. Prasannan, is it? Despite being ludicrously overpowered, the Borg lose all the bloody time.

Mr Dancer,

"He will make an excellent drone!" :)
  • Options

I get that but similar skyscrapers that have been built lately have names that supersede the address don't they? The Gherkin is not its address is it? It's the name.

The proper name for the Gherkin is 30 St Mary Axe. The Gherkin is just a nickname and I believe that name has no formal standing. This one is going to struggle to get a nickname (though the block it is due to replace isn't exactly particularly eye-catching either).
    London planners seem determined to ruin the London skyline.
    What's wrong with the Skyline always evolving? New York hasn't been ruined by many skyscrapers much bigger than we have. Quite frankly with limited land availability in London I don't get why we don't try to rival New York in this way like in many others.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

Dave listened to my idea.

David Cameron is facing fresh accusations of ‘arrogance’ after it emerged the Government is set to kill off plans to give 16 and 17-year-olds the vote in the EU referendum.

Ahead of a crunch Commons vote on Tuesday, it emerged that a House of Lords plan to extend the franchise to under-18s could be stymied because it involves spending money that can only be approved by the Commons.

http://bit.ly/1QrkHPR

Good it is a disgusting abuse for the unelected partisans to try and alter who has the vote without a mandate to do so. The Lords purview is to amend legislation to improve it, not to invent new legislation all by itself and attempt to foist it onto a separate issue like this.

If the vote is to be extended to children let it be done as primary legislation on its own right.
    There is a mandate. Labour, the Lib Dems, the Greens, the SNP and the NI parties all support lowering the voting age to 16, and together got more than 50% of the votes at the last election.
    That's not a mandate.

We live in a representative democracy.

A majority of representatives do not support the extension of voting rights to children
    Then why have an EU referendum at all? Why not trust our glorious representatives to do the right thing?
    It's a reasonable question.

Personally I believe that our representatives have the freedom to do what they believe is in our interests within the scope of their delegated rights

In my view the nature of our relationship with the EU has developed in such a manner that they are acting outside of the scope of their authority and hence they need to seek the sanction of the ultimate authority - the electorate - in order to approve the new arrangements
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

David Cameron is facing fresh accusations of ‘arrogance’ after it emerged the Government is set to kill off plans to give 16 and 17-year-olds the vote in the EU referendum.

Ahead of a crunch Commons vote on Tuesday, it emerged that a House of Lords plan to extend the franchise to under-18s could be stymied because it involves spending money that can only be approved by the Commons.

Good it is a disgusting abuse for the unelected partisans to try and alter who has the vote without a mandate to do so. The Lords purview is to amend legislation to improve it, not to invent new legislation all by itself and attempt to foist it onto a separate issue like this.

If the vote is to be extended to children let it be done as primary legislation on its own right.
    There is a mandate. Labour, the Lib Dems, the Greens, the SNP and the NI parties all support lowering the voting age to 16, and together got more than 50% of the votes at the last election.
    That's not a mandate.

We live in a representative democracy.

A majority of representatives do not support the extension of voting rights to children
    Then why have an EU referendum at all? Why not trust our glorious representatives to do the right thing?
    It's a reasonable question.

Personally I believe that our representatives have the freedom to do what they believe is in our interests within the scope of their delegated rights

In my view the nature of our relationship with the EU has developed in such a manner that they are acting outside of the scope of their authority and hence they need to seek the sanction of the ultimate authority - the electorate - in order to approve the new arrangements
    Especially considering we mandated that they consult us in a referendum back in May.

• Options
    I see that this week's live-tweeting from the Parliamentary Labour Party meeting has already started.
  • Options

Especially considering we mandated that they consult us in a referendum back in May.

Absolutely. Let us not forget that in the general election Tories+UKIP got more than half the GB vote.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,139

I see that this week's live-tweeting from the Parliamentary Labour Party meeting has already started.

Reports of them cowed into line by the strength of the win of the great comrade?
  • Options

Absolutely. Let us not forget that in the general election Tories+UKIP got more than half the GB vote.
    And more importantly more than half of the seats.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    BigRich said:

rcs1000 said:

Patrick said:

It will, of course, take a generation for us to wean ourselves meaningfully off oil and gas. But as we are weaning the price thereof will remain depressed. I don't see that there is an awful lot of light at the end of the tunnel for the Saudis, Russians, Venezuelans, etc as they have constucted for themselves national business models with failure baked in.
    Technology is also playing a massive role. The USA can get at shale reserves VERY cost effectively - which creates a new ceiling on price as the USA becomes the swing producer. But there is also more fundamentally disruptive technology moving along. Solar is already cost competitive in some locales. Wind too in some places (China). As and when we get way better batteries the whole intermittence problem of renewables becomes less of an issue. At which point the volume not just the price of oil collapses. The petro-kleptocracies and petro-theocracies have only themselves to blame. It was never going to last forever. What will the Middle East have to offer the world in 30 years' time? They're fu

I think that's absolutely right.

We may be coming to the end of the oil age.
    The Stone age did not end because they ran out of stone.

The Bronze age did not end because they ran out of Bronze

The Iron Age did not end because they ran out of Iron.

and

The Hydrocarbon age will not end because we run out of Hydrocarbons.

It will end when we invent/discover something better, which may well be Wind and/or solar.

I just hope we don't tax and regulate are selves back to the stone age, in a misguided attempt to get us to where we will go anyway.
    I'd love to see the big FART age (WIND) inaugurated! ;)
  • Options

Hold on a second lets go back to this ... No they didn't!
  • Options
    pbr2013pbr2013 Posts: 649
    It's all over so far as I am concerned. I wanted to be a wavourer but even if Dave gets all 4 "buckets" in their entirety, which it is obvious he won't, or even anywhere near, I would vote to leave. Such paucity of ambition.
  • Options

Anything particularly juicy?
  • Options
    pbr2013pbr2013 Posts: 649
    Can't the gov just repeal the Single European Act and see how our partners react?
  • Options
    Even if we add Plaid Cymru to the list @not_on_fire gave the parties only add up to 49.1% well below Tory plus UKIP. Even adding on Sinn Fein it is 49.4% which is still below Tory plus UKIP

It wouldn't matter if the claim was true, especially since this wasn't in all their manifestos. But it's actually false. That's laughably weak.
  • Options
    pbr2013 said:

Can't the gov just repeal the Single European Act and see how our partners react?

Yes. But they wouldn't. Even one wanting to leave wouldn't.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

Just read the letter from Tusk. Reads to me like someone preparing to concede on the four years issue but not on a veto for Euro outs (which I always imagined to be impossible to agree). May not happen yet but given everyone said Cameron would never achieve the four year thing, if he does I wonder who will give him credit for it?

THe whole thing is a pre-planned charade !
  • Options

Anything particularly juicy?
    Not really:

@paulwaugh · 17m17 minutes ago
    Huge cheers for @CllrJimMcMahon as he arrives at PLP

@paulwaugh · 14m14 minutes ago
    Jeremy Corbyn is not at PLP, cos he's still in Paris.

@paulwaugh · 12m12 minutes ago
    Andrew Gwynne, campaign manager for Oldham byelection, setting out why Labour won so handsomely.

paulwaugh · 4m4 minutes ago
    Very strong support for the Shadow chief whip Rosie Winterton at PLP

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    Charles said:

I'm guessing that is defined quite tightly (I assume Richmond, etc are not "neighbouring"?) but if so then perhaps it is because of how it splits (Labour supporting workers like jobs, LibDem/Tory waverering professionals want to protect Flossie's ear-drums)

Sounds right. The political problem for politicians who don't actually care and merely want votes (which on THIS issue is I suspect a non-trivial proportion) is that the people who hate it are the ones who will change votes over it, and the ones who mildly like it, though numerous, will mostly vote as usual.

Anecdote department: in greenish mode I once signed an EDM opposing airport expansion and urging that the resources be used on improving the Chunnel link etc. A proper Commons vote (nothing decisive, just a motion on the general principle) then came up, and Greenpeace then organised an email bombardment of the MPs who had backed their line to tell us to keep to their promises. Emails came in round the clock every few seconds, massively disrupting our work and stopping genuine constituents from getting through. I complained, pointing out that I was on their side. They said too bad, we want to make sure you stay that way.

So I said bugger off, I won't be blackmailed: I'm now going to vote FOR expansion, just to make the point of how bloody counter-productive your campaign method is. And I did.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536

Yes.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Strong support for Rosie at PLP meeting according to Paul Waugh.

Will the leaks be more detailed this week?
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Just read the letter from Tusk. Reads to me like someone preparing to concede on the four years issue but not on a veto for Euro outs (which I always imagined to be impossible to agree). May not happen yet but given everyone said Cameron would never achieve the four year thing, if he does I wonder who will give him credit for it?

I should hope so. The bulk of the negotiations happened before the General Election I'm convinced just in case we won. Now it's dotting the i's and crossing the t's.

Sensible governance IMO.
  • Options

Charles said:

I'm guessing that is defined quite tightly (I assume Richmond, etc are not "neighbouring"?) but if so then perhaps it is because of how it splits (Labour supporting workers like jobs, LibDem/Tory waverering professionals want to protect Flossie's ear-drums)

Sounds right. The political problem for politicians who don't actually care and merely want votes (which on THIS issue is I suspect a non-trivial proportion) is that the people who hate it are the ones who will change votes over it, and the ones who mildly like it, though numerous, will mostly vote as usual.

Anecdote department: in greenish mode I once signed an EDM opposing airport expansion and urging that the resources be used on improving the Chunnel link etc. A proper Commons vote (nothing decisive, just a motion on the general principle) then came up, and Greenpeace then organised an email bombardment of the MPs who had backed their line to tell us to keep to their promises. Emails came in round the clock every few seconds, massively disrupting our work and stopping genuine constituents from getting through. I complained, pointing out that I was on their side. They said too bad, we want to make sure you stay that way.

So I said bugger off, I won't be blackmailed: I'm now going to vote FOR expansion, just to make the point of how bloody counter-productive your campaign method is. And I did.
    Hah! That'll teach them.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Completely OT. 'Carol'. Set in 1952. Rooney Mara and Cate Blanchett become lovers. The charm of 'Brief Encounter' with the panache of 'Un homme et Une femme' set in an Edward Hopper landscape. My film of the year by a distance

Always welcome, Roger.
  • Options
    Martin Schultz: "The EU is in danger"

And guess what? the answer is 'mehr Europa'
  • Options

Even if we add Plaid Cymru to the list @not_on_fire gave the parties only add up to 49.1% well below Tory plus UKIP. Even adding on Sinn Fein it is 49.4% which is still below Tory plus UKIP

It wouldn't matter if the claim was true, especially since this wasn't in all their manifestos. But it's actually false. That's laughably weak.

https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/600282994524463104
    https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/600283502966345729
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

Well in 2015, as a % of UK Vote

Tory: 36.8%, UKIP: 12.7% total 49.5%

But that's UK votes, I don't have the numbers to hand but I suspect that when you tack of Northern Ireland I.E. become GB then the 49.5% probably increases to over 50%

Whether this is a usefull thing to do is another matter. But sometimes we see so many protests by lest wingers complaining that the Tory Mandate is 'invalid', we can forget how well they (and UKIP acthay did)
  • Options

Are you sure? The DUP were against in 2012 and 2014.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    runnymede said:

Martin Schultz: "The EU is in danger"

And guess what? the answer is 'mehr Europa'

The EU is danger from the muppets that are in charge. They've spent the last twenty years gradually alienating ever greater swathes of the population.

It's all so very old fashioned - probably one of the last legacies of the Cold War. We can collectively do better.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

But that's UK votes, I don't have the numbers to hand but I suspect that when you tack of Northern Ireland I.E. become GB then the 49.5% probably increases to over 50%

Whether this is a usefull thing to do is another matter. But sometimes we see so many protests by lest wingers complaining that the Tory Mandate is 'invalid', we can forget how well they (and UKIP acthay did)
    And apparently slim wins don't count as proper mandates for big changes anyway, when one is just on the wrong side of them at any rate, so even if all the other side support that policy and all their supporters do too, it would not count as an actual 'mandate' to some.
  • Options
    They've spent the last twenty years gradually alienating ever greater swathes of the population

They don't care
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,325
    Article suggests Lords may come up with new amendment that has same effect (ie vote at 16).

But surely that would also cost money so would also be deemed a money resolution?
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
  • Options
    Re the EU referendum.
    Will there be an actual treaty change on whatever bits Cameron wins?
    Otherwise, what is to stop the ECJ, European Parliament, future non Tory government seeking to undermine it all?
  • Options

Re the EU referendum.
    Will there be an actual treaty change on whatever bits Cameron wins?
    Otherwise, what is to stop the ECJ, European Parliament, future non Tory government seeking to undermine it all?

That is key. The ECJ have form for engaging in judicial activism so safeguards against scope creep are crucial.
  • Options
    What about the amendment giving votes at 16 in Local elections?

That has already been reversed by Commons but still has to go back to the Lords.

Has that been deemed a money resolution?

Don't think any such thing was reported and presumably it's already happened so suspect not. But if not, why not?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,051
    I expect the EU will deal with Britain's requests as soon as possible, no ifs, no buts. They'll make cast iron guarantees to us, which they'll promise to keep.
  • Options
    Tories + UKIP + UUP + DUP = 50.5% UK-wide
    Tories + UKIP = 55% across England
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,185

Charles said:

Interesting. Would you recommend a snail mail letter over an email, in general, as a way of asking one's MP to follow one's concerns?

• Options
    Local Government Bill still in Commons - Report Stage and 3rd Reading today.

So need to establish timing when Speaker makes designation re Money Resolution - possibly wouldn't have happened yet - not sure.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I expect the EU will deal with Britain's requests as soon as possible, no ifs, no buts. They'll make cast iron guarantees to us, which they'll promise to keep.

It all strikes me that it will be like Churchill's percentages agreement with Stalin.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Any particular reason why the oil price is dropping like a stone today?
  • Options

Tories + UKIP + UUP + DUP = 50.5% UK-wide
    Tories + UKIP = 55% across England

Also Tories + UKIP > 50% in Britain.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited December 2015
    Since this is a 2016, new Iowa poll from Monmouth, last one 6 weeks ago at Carson-mania peak, now new flavour of the month is Cruz:

Cruz 24 /+14
    Trump 19 /+1
    Rubio 17 /+7
    Carson 13 /-19
    Bush 6/ -2
    Paul 4 /+1
    Fiorina 3 /-2
    Kasich 3 /+1
    Christie 2 /+1
    Huckabee 2 /0

http://tinyurl.com/prn85tg

Trump has never held the lead in a Monmouth Iowa poll.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Any particular reason why the oil price is dropping like a stone today?

OPEC? Decision not to limit production?
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    BigRich said:

OK got the numbers for GB

Tory: 37.7%
    UKIP: 12.9%

Total: 50.6%

so gust over half of GB votes

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,643
    edited December 2015
    Speedy said:

Since this is a 2016, new Iowa poll from Monmouth, last one 6 weeks ago at Carson-mania peak, now new flavour of the month is Cruz:

Cruz 24 /+14
    Trump 19 /+1
    Rubio 17 /+7
    Carson 13 /-19
    Bush 6/ -2
    Paul 4 /+1
    Fiorina 3 /-2
    Kasich 3 /+1
    Christie 2 /+1
    Huckabee 2 /0

Interesting. Why Cruz and not Rubio though?
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Speedy said:

Cruz 24 /+14
    Trump 19 /+1
    Rubio 17 /+7
    Carson 13 /-19
    Bush 6/ -2
    Paul 4 /+1
    Fiorina 3 /-2
    Kasich 3 /+1
    Christie 2 /+1
    Huckabee 2 /0

Is the release of this poll the absolutely key moment?

If Cruz (or Rubio) wins Iowa then does most of the non-Trump vote move to him and he is then clear frontrunner?
  • Options

Speedy said:

Cruz 24 /+14
    Trump 19 /+1
    Rubio 17 /+7
    Carson 13 /-19
    Bush 6/ -2
    Paul 4 /+1
    Fiorina 3 /-2
    Kasich 3 /+1
    Christie 2 /+1
    Huckabee 2 /0

Influential local endorsement plus general pro-evangelical pro-Tea Party stance.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

BigRich said:

But clearly everyone who voted for the government was misled by the evull Tuuries.

So their votes don't count. Or something.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

Speedy said:

Cruz 24 /+14
    Trump 19 /+1
    Rubio 17 /+7
    Carson 13 /-19
    Bush 6/ -2
    Paul 4 /+1
    Fiorina 3 /-2
    Kasich 3 /+1
    Christie 2 /+1
    Huckabee 2 /0

Evangelicals, they make half of the voters in Iowa and are notoriously undeciders (Some say they behave like a flock, of sheep), they switch from one flavour to another just like that, they are the ones primary responsible for all the flavours of the month in 2012 and the rollercoaster that year.

In 2012 they literally decided on the last moment, in a pastors convention a couple of days before the caucuses, that they were going to vote Santorum and he went from 2% to win Iowa.

• Options
    MikeL said:

Speedy said:

Cruz 24 /+14
    Trump 19 /+1
    Rubio 17 /+7
    Carson 13 /-19
    Bush 6/ -2
    Paul 4 /+1
    Fiorina 3 /-2
    Kasich 3 /+1
    Christie 2 /+1
    Huckabee 2 /0

Is the release of this poll the absolutely key moment?

If Cruz (or Rubio) wins Iowa then does most of the non-Trump vote move to him and he is then clear frontrunner?
    Basically it will be like 2012, with Trump playing Romney and whoever wins Iowa playing Santorum.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Just listened to a Cruz speech where he pledged to carpet bomb ISIS.

' I don;t know if sand glows in the dark, but we're gonna find out'
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Interesting. Would you recommend a snail mail letter over an email, in general, as a way of asking one's MP to follow one's concerns?

In general yes. Techie MPs like me tended to deal personally with all emails the same day and take longer to get round to the long handwritten screeds, but most MPs delegate email to staff, who weed out emails that they think not worth bothering the boss with. By contrast, all written letters get an answer.

But the main thing is that if your MP says he'll vote the way you want, don't respond by hassling him to death - just say "Thanks, appreciated". And even if he's not going to, you probably won't change his mind by being a pain in the bum - a polite plea to think again has a better chance.
  • Options
    taffys said:

Just listened to a Cruz speech where he pledged to carpet bomb ISIS.

' I don;t know if sand glows in the dark, but we're gonna find out'

That would be nuking not carpet bombing.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    dr_spyn said:
    "We have begun increasing the number of non politically engaged people on the panel"

But if they do that - they then send them a voting poll and they reply even though they wouldn't bother to go to polling station (and may not be registered).

Surely it is dead simple. If X% of votes at the last GE were cast by 18 to 24s then in any poll ensure that X% of the sample are 18 to 24.

The whole thing was blindingly obvious - several people including myself posted repeatedly before GE 2015 that the number of 18 to 24s in YouGov polls had to be too high - they were assuming turnout (of the 18 to 24 population) almost identical to over 60s which couldn't possibly be right.

Now they appear to be overcomplicating it - keep it simple.
  • Options
    I do hope that Ted Cruz has a decent run. We could explore interesting questions about what constitutes a natural-born citizen. I don't think such questions have been looked at in any detail for a while, have they?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    surbiton said:

Obviously.
  • Options
    pbr2013 said:

Yes. It's equivalent to sleeping with your partner's sister to see how your partner will react. "Not in a way conducive to a harmonious outcome" is a fair guess.
  • Options

pbr2013 said:

Yes. It's equivalent to sleeping with your partner's sister to see how your partner will react. "Not in a way conducive to a harmonious outcome" is a fair guess.
    Alan Clark managed ok...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/clark-i-deserve-to-be-horsewhipped-mary-braid-and-rhys-williams-watched-the-media-circus-as-the-1419604.html
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Keeping it to the spirit of the thread, Jeb Bush (remember him, he was the frontrunner once) has released a 15 minute documentary about himself, reeks of boredom:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvpNa1-jIUo

Compare it to the video of doomed Pawlenty (directed by Micheal Bay):

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfkNEq1XioE

And the GREATEST WORST political ad in HISTORY, Governor of California Jerry Brown 1980 ,directed by Francis Ford Coppola !!!, featuring, among other things, actual people oozing out of the Governor's collar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9oWOB_8stM

• Options

Mr. Fire, those parties also support not having the Conservatives in government.

Percentage of the vote is irrelevant. MPs make the PM.

Hard to argue there is "no mandate" for a change over half the population support
    Are you sure that most people want to lower the voting age to 16?

Back in my grandparents' time, there was a good case for it. Most people were in work by 15, and could be fighting by 16 (and my great-uncle lied about his age to join the army at 15). But, not now that childhood has been extended.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,312
    Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

Obviously.
    Do you really believe that it was planned that David Cameron would get so obviously slapped down within six hours of publishing his four points?

The fact is that the EU is 28 nations. Everyone has to agree. Everyone has different red lines and competences and interests.

Given any substantive changes will require treaty change (albeit I believe a codicil is possible), I can't see how you can possibly get everyone on-board rapidly, unless it is so vague as to be meaningless.

Every other country is answerable to its voters. And each will hope to use the UK's desires for changes, to lobby for their own changes: "Sure, we'll accept the UK's desires for a veto on legislation that affects the City... but only if we get this in return..."

It only takes one hold out to scupper the renegotiation.

Therefore, I would bet on no "heads of terms" - whatever Dave or Tusk or Merkel wants - before early 2017 at the earliest.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

BigRich said:

When it comes to arguments about mandates, somehow Tory and UKIP voters don't count.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

Obviously.
    Do you really believe that it was planned that David Cameron would get so obviously slapped down within six hours of publishing his four points?

The fact is that the EU is 28 nations. Everyone has to agree. Everyone has different red lines and competences and interests.

Given any substantive changes will require treaty change (albeit I believe a codicil is possible), I can't see how you can possibly get everyone on-board rapidly, unless it is so vague as to be meaningless.

Every other country is answerable to its voters. And each will hope to use the UK's desires for changes, to lobby for their own changes: "Sure, we'll accept the UK's desires for a veto on legislation that affects the City... but only if we get this in return..."

It only takes one hold out to scupper the renegotiation.

Therefore, I would bet on no "heads of terms" - whatever Dave or Tusk or Merkel wants - before early 2017 at the earliest.
    I think this is a case of " you grunt, i'll groan" as Alistair Meeks put it.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,312
    Sean_F said:

Mr. Fire, those parties also support not having the Conservatives in government.

Hard to argue there is "no mandate" for a change over half the population support

Back in my grandparents' time, there was a good case for it. Most people were in work by 15, and could be fighting by 16 (and my great-uncle lied about his age to join the army at 15). But, not now that childhood has been extended.
    I believe the new plan is to lower it to 16 months. "Old enough to independently feed, old enough to vote" is the slogan.
  • Options

The proper name for the Gherkin is 30 St Mary Axe. The Gherkin is just a nickname and I believe that name has no formal standing. This one is going to struggle to get a nickname (though the block it is due to replace isn't exactly particularly eye-catching either).
    London planners seem determined to ruin the London skyline.
    What's wrong with the Skyline always evolving? New York hasn't been ruined by many skyscrapers much bigger than we have. Quite frankly with limited land availability in London I don't get why we don't try to rival New York in this way like in many others.
    Hello
    I have no problem with the London skyline evolving, but not with miserable buildings.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:
    It's worrying that the pollsters seem to have made one of the more simple errors in under-representing older voters and over-representing younger ones.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,185

Carnyx said:

In general yes. Techie MPs like me tended to deal personally with all emails the same day and take longer to get round to the long handwritten screeds, but most MPs delegate email to staff, who weed out emails that they think not worth bothering the boss with. By contrast, all written letters get an answer.

But the main thing is that if your MP says he'll vote the way you want, don't respond by hassling him to death - just say "Thanks, appreciated". And even if he's not going to, you probably won't change his mind by being a pain in the bum - a polite plea to think again has a better chance.
    Thanks. I'll remember that.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

I believe the new plan is to lower it to 16 months. "Old enough to independently feed, old enough to vote" is the slogan.
    'baby led tweeting'
  • Options
    That Tusk letter in full:

(1) We'll come up with some words about being nice to non-euro countries, but forget a veto
    (2) Yes, we were doing it anyway (why is it even on here?)
    (3) Ever closer union already means what you think it should Mr. Cameron. Let's move on.
    (4) Nah. You might get something on child benefits, maybe. Really tough crowd.

But we need to find a way to pull the wool over the eyes of British voters to vote Remain, so let's come up with something and give it a nice gloss.

To be continued..
  • Options
    Loving the twitter spat between Tom Watson and comical Eoin.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

dr_spyn said:
    It's worrying that the pollsters seem to have made one of the more simple errors in under-representing older voters and over-representing younger ones.
    Worrying perhaps but is it surprising? Pollsters aim to fix sampling errors by weighting. This is fine until various subsamples start to drift apart in how they respond. Once that happens, your weights are all wrong.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

BigRich said:

BigRich said:

When it comes to arguments about mandates, somehow Tory and UKIP voters don't count.
    I found Lefties shut up fairly quickly after the election when they cried for PR, and I pointed out that in that case we'd prob have a Tory government propped up by UKIP.

They've moved on now to things like discouraging the old to vote, on the basis it's selfish given their remaining time on the earth, and advocating the enfranchisement of the very young.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    The pb Cameronites do make me chuckle, if the Tories were led by a eurosceptic Ukip wouldn't exist and they would govern in perpetuity, as it is they spend their time grinding their teeth and throwing shite at Corbyn and Farage. Be careful what you wish for.
  • Options
    I still can't work out what Lucy Allan (majority 730) was trying to achieve, unless it is an unexpected by-election.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-35027252
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @ScottyNational: News : Cost to repair bridge could be up to £50 million not including tax, or as it's called in Scotland, Boswell style.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @SpecCoffeeHouse: Tories begin to attack Sadiq Khan for his links to Jeremy Corbyn https://t.co/xBEFdejiw9 by @sebastianepayne
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

I still can't work out what Lucy Allan (majority 730) was trying to achieve, unless it is an unexpected by-election.

Maybe just maybe she was fed up of hateful mail and death threats etc and posted them like she said. Maybe, just maybe, like she said they got edited together badly.

Since no individual was named it can't be libel or slander. There is zero possible reason for this to trigger a by election. How about you have a go at people sending death threats that the Police are investigating rather than the people who react badly to receiving them?
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    dr_spyn said:

The only conclusion I can come to is that she wanted to big up the messages she was receiving, and just never expected the writer to (a) notice (b) break anonymity to prove her wrong.

Stupid of her.

• Options

dr_spyn said:

Maybe just maybe she was fed up of hateful mail and death threats etc and posted them like she said. Maybe, just maybe, like she said they got edited together badly.

Since no individual was named it can't be libel or slander. There is zero possible reason for this to trigger a by election. How about you have a go at people sending death threats that the Police are investigating rather than the people who react badly to receiving them?
    Rusty has come forward. I believe he is something along the lines of a sound engineer from Leicester.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,238
    AndyJS said:

dr_spyn said:
    Not quite. They had the wrong sort of young people in their sample. The young people they had were enthusiastically politically engaged, (and were consequently more likely to vote Labour). They're trying to fix it by recruiting less-politically engaged youth to their panel.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737

Pretty sure that used to be the headquarters of Commercial Union (now Aviva). As a kid I was fascinated by the name, as all my Dad's letters seemed to come from there (he worked as a surveyor for CU)...
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

The delete button is a friend not a foe. Why dig a bigger hole for herself by adding more to a ridiculous response.
  • Options

The pb Cameronites do make me chuckle, if the Tories were led by a eurosceptic Ukip wouldn't exist and they would govern in perpetuity, as it is they spend their time grinding their teeth and throwing shite at Corbyn and Farage. Be careful what you wish for.

Like the perpetual rule of Prime Minister Duncan Smith? If only we could go back to that level of success *rolleyes*
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

dr_spyn said:

The delete button is a friend not a foe. Why dig a bigger hole for herself by adding more to a ridiculous response.
    She did delete it. People asked for an explanation and screenshots were taken.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

dr_spyn said:

Rusty has come forward. I believe he is something along the lines of a sound engineer from Leicester.
    As soon as he came forward she deleted it. How could that lead to a by election exactly.

Blame the victim mentality at its worst. As much as I despise Corbyn I won't send him death threats.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

For obvious reasons I tend to sympathise with MPs who get hate mail. But the mail she published and then embellished was pretty mild compared with many. It would have been more sensible to publish the offending email that she says she took it from.

I will say that the only death threat I ever had was from a local hunt supporter who said he'd kill me if I voted for the hunt ban. Rather endearingly, he gave his name and address, not the action of a cunning psychopath. The police had a word with him and we heard nothing more.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

dr_spyn said:
    Yougov in particular, have a real problem in finding enough young people to respond to them. So, they have to massively weight up the numbers who do and they are likely to be unrepresentative. They tend to be very left wing, very europhile, very pro-immigration.
  • Options

(1) We'll come up with some words about being nice to non-euro countries, but forget a veto
    (3) Ever closer union already means what you think it should Mr. Cameron. Let's move on.

But we need to find a way to pull the wool over the eyes of British voters to vote Remain, so let's come up with something and give it a nice gloss.

To be continued..

My interpretation:
    (2) Yes, we are doing that as you always push us on that.
    (3) OK ever closer union is not for everyone we can agree to that. The idea of all nations following same path is history now.
    (4) Not saying yes to that yet but not ruling it out. If you drop one we will agree to this do we have a deal?
  • Options

To be continued..

My interpretation:
    (2) Yes, we are doing that as you always push us on that.
    (3) OK ever closer union is not for everyone we can agree to that. The idea of all nations following same path is history now.
    (4) Not saying yes to that yet but not ruling it out. If you drop one we will agree to this do we have a deal?
    Fair enough. I think that amounts to more or less the same thing.

It would be well below Cameron's minimum (very light as it is) demands so I'd count the renegotiation a failure.

Not that that would prevent him proclaiming it as a success.
  • Options
    Is Boswell the first ever MP who has avoided tax :D ?
  • Options

MP_SE said:

dr_spyn said:

As soon as he came forward she deleted it. How could that lead to a by election exactly.

Blame the victim mentality at its worst. As much as I despise Corbyn I won't send him death threats.
    What she did was dishonest and tarnishes the reputation of politicians even more than it already is. A by-election would allow her constituents to decide if her behaviour was acceptable.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

What she did was dishonest and tarnishes the reputation of politicians even more than it already is.

I'd welcome a daily by-election but if every misjudgement on twitter lead to one - we'd have alot ^^;
  • Options
    MP_SE said:
    So he agrees a deal will be reached when so many here are saying it won't. Be interesting to see if anyone currently laughing at the notion of us getting this deal actually gives credit if it is won or will the line pivot from "we won't get that" to "it's meaningless anyway". I expect the latter.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    Pulpstar said:

MP_SE said:

What she did was dishonest and tarnishes the reputation of politicians even more than it already is.

I'd welcome a daily by-election but if every misjudgement on twitter lead to one - we'd have alot ^^;
    It was a bit rough of her to add the bit he didn't say to the facebook post.... whether that is enough to spark a by election I don't know, but its poor form from an MP
This discussion has been closed.