Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Seven weeks to go before Iowa and Trump remains totally dom

SystemSystem Posts: 11,691
edited December 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Seven weeks to go before Iowa and Trump remains totally dominant

Seven weeks tomorrow the first state to decide in next year’s White House Race will choose which of the Democratic and Republican Party hopefuls will be their choice as nominees.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Please don't let it be Trump or Carson
  • Options

For Iowa? or the nomination?
  • Options

The nomination.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Trump is almost worth it for the reactions of the left here.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Is that because of your betting position, your political opinions, or just outright fear?

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,935

We're through the looking glass if Trump ends up POTUS.
  • Options

Is that because of your betting position, your political opinions, or just outright fear?

All three.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,332

All three.
    Especially the last one though.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,351
    taffys said:

I think there's a general fear that it's utterly unpredictable what Trump would actually do. I'm not convinced he'd necessarily be especially right-wing - he seems to adopt whatever positions make a catchy line for the audience he's speaking to. From a left-wing perspective I'd prefer Trump to someone like Cruz, who we KNOW would be right-wing - with Trump we're just rolling the dice and might come up lucky. The problem, not just for left-wingers, is that rolling the dice for the President of the USA is a rather scary thought.

• Options
    You'd think everyone from Bush downwards would have the sense to call it a day to allow some coalescence of the sane around a suitable candidate. Have they not seen what the UK Labour party has done to itself?
  • Options
    Rubio looks like he would make a dull careerist centrish president, a bit like Hilary (A sort of Blair/Cameron choice I guess). Cruz, the modern embodiment of Reaganism and would be my favoured choice if the USA was to go with a "c"onservative president.

A Carson presidency I think could work well actually, sure he's not the usual candidate but he is interesting.

Trump worries me, but would be great for my betting if he can get the nomination :)

I think Chris Christie would have been a good president, but his bridge hit some troubled waters a while back...
  • Options
    taffys said:

Not if it sows up a Clinton victory.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Pulpstar said:

We're through the looking glass if Trump ends up POTUS.
    Indeed it would be like the character Greg Stillson in Stephen King's novel The Dead Zone becoming President.

It baffles me that anybody could see Trump as anything other than a loud mouthed clown.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

All three.
    Especially the last one though.
    This is one of the reasons why we should all fear Donald Trump, From a week ago

Real estate mogul and reality television star Donald Trump on Sunday tweeted a chart of racist and wildly inaccurate crime statistics, just a day after supporters physically assaulted a Black Lives Matter protester at one of his rallies.

http://huff.to/21ciD3j

That's something you'd expect from MikeK, not someone who might be President of the United States of America.
  • Options
    A Trump v. Clinton contest has echoes of Alien v. Predator.

Whoever wins, we lose.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,351
    I see the Heathrow decision is being kicked down the road again, perhaps to next autumn. Not being political or anything, but isn't this getting silly? Is the Government's strategy to bore us into submission so that when they eventually make a proposal we all accept it in sheer relief?
  • Options
    RaRaRasputinRaRaRasputin Posts: 48
    edited December 2015

Cruz is actually the most scary, whilst the term can be overused when we describe modern day politicians there is little doubt in my mind that he is a sociopath. As his roommate at Stanford put it - "I would rather have anybody else be the president of the United States. Anyone. I would rather pick somebody from the phone book".

GRRM's description of the Machiavellian Littlefinger also comes to mind, "He would see this country burn if he could be king of the ashes". If nuking Iran, Syria and/or the Former Soviet Republic of Russia meant a second term for President Cruz I wouldn't trust him to refrain from pushing that button.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Rubio looks like he would make a dull careerist centrish president, a bit like Hilary (A sort of Blair/Cameron choice I guess). Cruz, the modern embodiment of Reaganism and would be my favoured choice if the USA was to go with a "c"onservative president.

A Carson presidency I think could work well actually, sure he's not the usual candidate but he is interesting.

This is Ben, "Joseph built the pyramids to store grain" Carson? It is a choice between hazelnuts and almonds, it really is.
  • Options

A Trump v. Clinton contest has echoes of Alien v. Predator.

Whoever wins, we lose.

I'd be favouring Hilary in that one.

Rubio/Clinton wouldn't make much odds who wins.

A Cruz presidency would be fascinating.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

This is Ben, "Joseph built the pyramids to store grain" Carson? It is a choice between hazelnuts and almonds, it really is.
    I think he could potentially sort out black on black crime issues better than any other of the candidates.
  • Options
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952
    edited December 2015
    I am sure if I claimed a white man attempting to murder someone was black there would be howls of derision on here when I was proved wrong, so, just for the record, here is the accused of Leytonstone...

https://twitter.com/standardnews/status/673849621957873665
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

The same Ben Carson whose support dropped when it was shockingly revealed that he probably *didn't* stab somebody as a child.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited December 2015

I see the Heathrow decision is being kicked down the road again, perhaps to next autumn. Not being political or anything, but isn't this getting silly? Is the Government's strategy to bore us into submission so that when they eventually make a proposal we all accept it in sheer relief?

Do you have a link for that, Nick? I can't see anything on the Beeb or Guardian

Edit: There's something on the Guardian live blog, but it's unclear quite what it means.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Paul Kirkby
    This is a staggering map. Net worth of individual adults, by European country. This is private wealth, not GDP data https://t.co/XCGCS94RuL
  • Options
    DavidL said:
    8 out of 10.
  • Options

Completely agree Nick. Personally I would let both Heathrow and Gatwick build an extra runway. We will need them both by the time either is finished.

Hard to think that the London Mayoral election has not played a disproportionately large part in this.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

The same Ben Carson whose support dropped when it was shockingly revealed that he probably *didn't* stab somebody as a child.
    Yeah, normally that would be a good thing in someone aspiring to have a bright red shiny button on his desk, right?
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693

Pong said:

Dave, you ain't no bruv, bruv.

You've just completely ruined a perfectly good meme.
    Have a look at your bank account

@blackburn63

Cheers for that. Received.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Completely agree Nick. Personally I would let both Heathrow and Gatwick build an extra runway. We will need them both by the time either is finished.

Hard to think that the London Mayoral election has not played a disproportionately large part in this.
    Every decision or choice would be the wrong one. So easy to see why no one wants to take it.
    I would extend one Heathrow runway but not increase capacity much and build runways at Gatwick and Stanstead. ... and let them all fight it out.
  • Options

Paul Kirkby
    This is a staggering map. Net worth of individual adults, by European country. This is private wealth, not GDP data https://t.co/XCGCS94RuL

Shows the staggering amount of house price inflation we've had.
  • Options
    What can stop Trump?
  • Options

Paul Kirkby

That's what you get for renting your houses, I suppose.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    edited December 2015
    Is it reasonable to expect that Lord Janner won't be able to attend Parliament again or draw any Parliamentary allowances due to his ill health?
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

Yeah, normally that would be a good thing in someone aspiring to have a bright red shiny button on his desk, right?
    You're right, America deserves a decisive leader. I expect Trump to announce he actually stabbed 4 of his childhood friends, and his poll numbers to rise further.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    Pong said:

Pong said:

Dave, you ain't no bruv, bruv.

You've just completely ruined a perfectly good meme.
    Have a look at your bank account

@blackburn63

Cheers for that. Received.
    OK

• Options
    The heathrow decision being kicked along the road makes Zac an absolute lock (Barring actuarial events) for the Tory mayoralty.

It is the last thing that could have scuppered this particular contingency.
  • Options

Paul Kirkby

Can see why former Soviet Republics are so desperate to be with the EU not Russia.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    NH Ballot Commission refuse to intervene over Rubio, Cruz NBC challenge, although, intriguingly, they express the desire that the Supreme Court should...

http://www.wmur.com/politics/elections-panel-allows-cruz-rubio-to-appear-on-primary-ballot/36641254

Challengers offer USSC case law in support of their claim, Cruz offers two talking heads...
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Hence my score! :open_mouth:
    DavidL said:
  • Options
    Is there anything in the small print about why we do not need to send food parcels to Germany?

Paul Kirkby

• Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

You're right, America deserves a decisive leader. I expect Trump to announce he actually stabbed 4 of his childhood friends, and his poll numbers to rise further.
    On reflection Barack "can't make an instant decision to save his or anyone else's life" Obama is by no means the worst choice for that job.
  • Options

Is there anything in the small print about why we do not need to send food parcels to Germany?

Paul Kirkby

More like "home ownership" parcels...
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "Germany has registered 964,574 new asylum-seekers in the first 11 months of the year, putting it on course for more than a million in 2015."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-35027951
  • Options
    WTI crude oil down to $38.94

http://www.bloomberg.com/energy
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Yes - build both & start consultations on 3rd & 4th.....I expect we'll find out mid-May.....
  • Options
    More on the Heathrow delay;

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-35027559

Looks like appropriate concern for environmental impact issues fannying around until after the London Mayor election....
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

More on the Heathrow delay;

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-35027559

Looks like appropriate concern for environmental impact issues fannying around until after the London Mayor election....

This is so dreary. Make a fecking decision Cameron. Maybe we should build new runways at both, as other posters have suggested.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

On reflection Barack "can't make an instant decision to save his or anyone else's life" Obama is by no means the worst choice for that job.
    Translation
    "can't make an instant decision to save his or anyone else's life"
    "thoughtful"
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,024
    taffys said:

From my perspective as human being, and asking the question "who would I find most frightening"?

I'd say Ted Cruz would be the one who would scare me the most.
    Donald Trump, I suspect, is more of a pragmatist than most people realise. I suspect he would turn out to be a lot more moderate than most people expect.
    I think Marco Rubio is by far the best candidate for the Republicans. I think he'd waltz to victory next November, and would be quite an effective President.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Edit: There's something on the Guardian live blog, but it's unclear quite what it means.
    The VW scandal is contributing to this - the air quality argument should rule out LHR.

Do either Zak or Khan have an opinion on whether there should be an extra runway anywhere ?

• Options
    edited December 2015
    When you look at what £272k gets you in Germany though...

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/overseas-property/property-52062940.html?showcase=true&premiumA=true

6 bed mansion.

That'd be worth half a million anywhere in the UK. And probably alot more.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Paul Kirkby

Hold on. Surely the rented houses must belong to someone, so why is that not averaged out? Is it that the Germans missed out on the phenomenal house price inflation so that a London flat that used to cost double the average income now costs 15 times that.
  • Options

Paul Kirkby

Hard to believe that that UK net worth is almost twice that of Germany ($320,000 vs $177,000).
    Possibly due to house prices?
  • Options
    CromwellCromwell Posts: 236
    Pulpstar said:

The heathrow decision being kicked along the road makes Zac an absolute lock (Barring actuarial events) for the Tory mayoralty.

================

Too true !....Khan will be handicapped by the Three stooges Corbyn Macdonnel and Livingstone ...he rose to victory in the Cornyn surge last summer and as the Corbyn ship sinks he will be pulled down in its vortex ...the Blairites will be happy to sacrifice Khan as a way to topple Corbyn from his perch

Furthermore , we Brits are a tolerant bunch with a pronounced sense of ''fair play ''but there are in fact limits to tolerance and electing a Muslim for Mayor after the London tube bombings , Tower Hamlets and the Paris massacre is clearly beyond the pale

Most folks are willing to go along with the charade of political correctness (against their better instincts) but NOT when their lives could be in danger ...London is the obvious target for a Paris-like massacre and as such sober minded folks will not be willing give Sadiq Khan the benefit of the doubt that he is the best candidate to protect them from radical Islam ; they simply will not take that risk no matter what the polls may say

31% of Londoners claimed they felt ''uncomfortable voting for a Muslim '' ( they were the ones who actually admitted it ) and that was BEFORE the Paris massacre ...you can be certain the real numbers are somewhat higher

Any polling of the London Mayor's race needs to be ''read between the lines ''

• Options
    edited December 2015
    Pulpstar said:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/overseas-property/property-52062940.html?showcase=true&premiumA=true

6 bed mansion.

Yeah, but it's up in the frozen North, you may as well be living in Scotland ;).
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    TGOHF said:

Do either Zak or Khan have an opinion on whether there should be an extra runway anywhere ?

Sadiq has switched to backing Gatwick:

http://www.cityam.com/218067/sadiq-khan-we-need-better-heathrow-not-bigger-heathrow

I think Zac doesn't really like airports at all but particularly not Heathrow.
  • Options
    John_M said:

Pulpstar said:

6 bed mansion.

Yeah, but it's up in the frozen North, you may as well be living in Scotland ;).
    Schleshwig Holstein is lovely, did an exchange trip there.
  • Options
    Latest averages:

Clinton: 46.8%
    Trump: 43.6%

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/
  • Options

Paul Kirkby

It's worth noting that those numbers also correlate very strongly with private sector debt: i.e. Swedes, Brits, Danes owe lots of money (150-250% of GDP), while Italians and Germans have very low levels of household debt (c. 45-60% of GDP).

The high "wealth" countries are also the ones which have had housing booms. Therefore, there is a degree of risk associated with high asset prices at the same time as high debt loads.

I'd also note, that our numbers are boosted by the appearance of $750-1,200bn of assets of Russians in London. (This deducts from the Russian number and adds to ours.)
  • Options

TGOHF said:

http://www.cityam.com/218067/sadiq-khan-we-need-better-heathrow-not-bigger-heathrow

Not even Boris island ?

Heathrow is awful and 3 runways will surely only make it worse ?
  • Options

Paul Kirkby

The German number is very low because house prices are low in Germany. The result is that people have very little of their wealth tied up in bricks and morter.

(You can still buy a 700sq ft apartment in a nice part of Berlin for £100,000.)
  • Options
    If you go by median wealth, which seems like it'd be more representative of the average citizen, then a UK adult is more than twice as wealthy than one from Germany or the USA.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Paul Kirkby

The German number is very low because house prices are low in Germany. The result is that people have very little of their wealth tied up in bricks and morter.

Is that an investment tip or an observation :) ?
  • Options

DavidL said:

Paul Kirkby

Hold on. Surely the rented houses must belong to someone, so why is that not averaged out? Is it that the Germans missed out on the phenomenal house price inflation so that a London flat that used to cost double the average income now costs 15 times that.
    But if the market for buyers is so much smaller than it is here the laws of supply and demand mean prices are lower, much lower. Here houses are a very successful source of capital wealth. In Germany they are a source of rent, mainly for insurers etc.

Our hyper competitive property market drives prices ever upwards, especially in London.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Not even Boris island ?

Maybe, but on the other hand the transport links are vastly better than Gatwick and could be enhanced with relative ease.

Gatwick would also affect some areas of unspoilt countryside, which are scarce enough as it is in SE England.

Disclaimer: I live in Sussex, so I might not be entirely free of interest in this!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

6 bed mansion.

I think the best examples are in Berlin or Hamburg. Two major cities, one the capital. Both with excellent public transport and essentially zero unemployment.

A family sized apartment (say 1,200 square feet; 120 square meters). In London, you'd be lucky to find something in a nice area (and I'm not talking Chelsea, where you'd be paying £2.5m) for less than £500,000.

In Germany, you'd be paying £150,000. And interest rates are near zero.

You can get one of those apartments for £500/month including principle repayment. Unbelievable.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Paul Kirkby

Nothing I write on pb is investment advice. :lol:

However, I would note that the firm at which I work, has funds which have significant exposure to German residential property.
  • Options
    William_H said:

If you go by median wealth, which seems like it'd be more representative of the average citizen, then a UK adult is more than twice as wealthy than one from Germany or the USA.

I'd like to see figures on net wealth. A lot of my contemporaries are asset rich, but still have eye-wateringly large mortgages and personal debt.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Paul Kirkby

Nothing I write on pb is investment advice. :lol:

However, I would note that the firm at which I work, has funds which have significant exposure to German residential property.
    Ah, so you're ramping? ;-)
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

Paul Kirkby

So the 3 richest contrary's are, Switzerland, Iceland and Norway. Best stay in the EU so we don't end up like them!!!
  • Options
    John_M said:

William_H said:

I'd like to see figures on net wealth. A lot of my contemporaries are asset rich, but still have eye-wateringly large mortgages and personal debt.
    That describes the UK perfectly.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

William_H said:

Or as my Granny would put it, all fur coats and no knickers :).
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    Cromwell said:

Pulpstar said:

================

Too true !....Khan will be handicapped by the Three stooges Corbyn Macdonnel and Livingstone ...he rose to victory in the Cornyn surge last summer and as the Corbyn ship sinks he will be pulled down in its vortex ...the Blairites will be happy to sacrifice Khan as a way to topple Corbyn from his perch

Furthermore , we Brits are a tolerant bunch with a pronounced sense of ''fair play ''but there are in fact limits to tolerance and electing a Muslim for Mayor after the London tube bombings , Tower Hamlets and the Paris massacre is clearly beyond the pale

Most folks are willing to go along with the charade of political correctness (against their better instincts) but NOT when their lives could be in danger ...London is the obvious target for a Paris-like massacre and as such sober minded folks will not be willing give Sadiq Khan the benefit of the doubt that he is the best candidate to protect them from radical Islam ; they simply will not take that risk no matter what the polls may say

31% of Londoners claimed they felt ''uncomfortable voting for a Muslim '' ( they were the ones who actually admitted it ) and that was BEFORE the Paris massacre ...you can be certain the real numbers are somewhat higher

Any polling of the London Mayor's race needs to be ''read between the lines ''

Is this what they call "ramping"?
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

William_H said:

Doesn't it just, our economy is a sham.

• Options
    On the Topic of Donald Trump ; I have bet heavily on Rubio becoming president and don't lose any sleep over a goon like Trump ...he is just a political version of the WWF , a Hulk Hogan or a Jesse Ventura and the folks who support him to be to a WWF-like audience of low information voters
    He never intended to be the nominee , he 's just an ego manic loving the limelight and attention ...the folks in the GOP will never allow this creep to ruin the best chance they have of not only winning the WH but the House and Senate too ...sooner or later he will push his luck too far and self destruct or they will find a way to get rid of him
    Furthermore , America with its fascination with guns, does not suffer fools and demagogues lightly ...both Huey Long and George Wallace found that out ! Trump is an antagonistic rabble rouser who had best be careful what he is saying ...if some whack job takes a shot at him he will panic and then like most bullies he will fold
  • Options
    "I still find it hard to see Trump doing it but his position gets stronger as each day goes by and none of the other contenders have got near."

We're at the stage now where we should take it very seriously. Trump has sat at the top of the polling for long enough to demonstrate considerable resilience in the face of negative campaigning. What's surprising to me is how well Carson's held up, though his star does look to be on the wane.

It's far from sewn up though. Were the campaign calendar the same as last time, with Iowa in early January, it might be done and dusted but there's a lot of campaigning still to be done after the festivities. Even so, he ought to be a clear favourite.
  • Options
    Cromwell said:

I have bet heavily on Rubio becoming president

What's your averaged out odds ?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited December 2015
    Pulpstar said:

Cruz, the modern embodiment of Reaganism and would be my favoured choice if the USA was to go with a "c"onservative president.

Immigration amnesty, pro-gun control and tax rises?

http://www.nytimes.com/1991/03/29/opinion/why-i-m-for-the-brady-bill.html
  • Options

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Not even Boris island ?

Maybe, but on the other hand the transport links are vastly better than Gatwick and could be enhanced with relative ease.

Gatwick would also affect some areas of unspoilt countryside, which are scarce enough as it is in SE England.

Disclaimer: I live in Sussex, so I might not be entirely free of interest in this!
    Living in Cambridge, Gatwick would be an awful choice for me - horrendous to get there.

• Options
    AndyJS said:

Latest averages:

One question I've struggled to answer is how realistic is the prospect of a Trump win in November? On the one hand, the overall figures are close; on the other, Trump's scores with some demographics are dire - though Hillary's strengths and Trump's weaknesses are almost an exact overlap so may reinforce existing intention rather than swing votes.

My instinct is that Trump will simply scare too many moderate horses but if that is the case, why aren't the polls further apart now - it's not as if either is an unknown quantity. Very confusing.
  • Options

"I still find it hard to see Trump doing it but his position gets stronger as each day goes by and none of the other contenders have got near."

We're at the stage now where we should take it very seriously. Trump has sat at the top of the polling for long enough to demonstrate considerable resilience in the face of negative campaigning. What's surprising to me is how well Carson's held up, though his star does look to be on the wane.

It's far from sewn up though. Were the campaign calendar the same as last time, with Iowa in early January, it might be done and dusted but there's a lot of campaigning still to be done after the festivities. Even so, he ought to be a clear favourite.

==================
    Only a bloody fool would bet on Trump ...sometime in the future when Trump goes back to reality TV, the folks who have been spooked by his campaign will look positively daft

Nate Silver gives him about a 5% chance and he is being generous

• Options
    Good afternoon, my fellow royalists.

Stranger things have happened. That horse becoming pope. Or Corbyn becoming Labour leader.
  • Options

My instinct is that Trump will simply scare too many moderate horses but if that is the case, why aren't the polls further apart now - it's not as if either is an unknown quantity. Very confusing.

If you're disgruntled with career politicians, telling a pollster you'll vote for Trump is a free hit. Being faced with the actual, imminent prospect of him being in the White House, and Commander in Chief of a military with unimaginable destructive power, is another matter.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

Paul Kirkby

So the 3 richest contrary's are, Switzerland, Iceland and Norway. Best stay in the EU so we don't end up like them!!!
    Alternatively, all three countries are part of Schengen! We need to join Schengen!

More seriously, I think Switzerland is a good compare for what we want our economy to be like. I'm not sure either Iceland or Norway - which are basically utterly dependent on primary industries - are that great comparisons.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Not even Boris island ?

Living in Cambridge, Gatwick would be an awful choice for me - horrendous to get there.

Train to King's Cross then Thameslink direct to Gatwick, right? Surely that's easier than Heathrow.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Paul Kirkby

Cool - i'm way above the average for everywhere in Europe - think i'll have an extra biccy for tea :)
  • Options
    Cromwell said:

On the Topic of Donald Trump ; I have bet heavily on Rubio becoming president and don't lose any sleep over a goon like Trump ...he is just a political version of the WWF , a Hulk Hogan or a Jesse Ventura and the folks who support him to be to a WWF-like audience of low information voters
    He never intended to be the nominee , he 's just an ego manic loving the limelight and attention ...the folks in the GOP will never allow this creep to ruin the best chance they have of not only winning the WH but the House and Senate too ...sooner or later he will push his luck too far and self destruct or they will find a way to get rid of him
    Furthermore , America with its fascination with guns, does not suffer fools and demagogues lightly ...both Huey Long and George Wallace found that out ! Trump is an antagonistic rabble rouser who had best be careful what he is saying ...if some whack job takes a shot at him he will panic and then like most bullies he will fold

Jesse Ventura ended up Governor of Minnesota so you're doing little to assuage my fears.
  • Options
    Cromwell said:

==================
    Only a bloody fool would bet on Trump ...sometime in the future when Trump goes back to reality TV, the folks who have been spooked by his campaign will look positively daft

Of the nomination or of the general election? I'd make him around evens for the nomination, if only because if there was a decent challenger in the pack then they'd have already shown.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,005
    Cromwell said:

Jesse Ventura was Governor of Minnesota. And in an election where all the candidates are pigmies strange things happen
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,048

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Not even Boris island ?

Train to King's Cross then Thameslink direct to Gatwick, right? Surely that's easier than Heathrow.
    In a couple of years there will be direct Cambridge to Gatwick services taking 1 hour 40 minutes.

http://www.thameslinkrailway.com/your-journey/thameslink-programme/

This is about twenty minutes quicker than you can get from Cambridge to Heathrow at the moment, and with no changes.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Latest averages:

One question I've struggled to answer is how realistic is the prospect of a Trump win in November? On the one hand, the overall figures are close; on the other, Trump's scores with some demographics are dire - though Hillary's strengths and Trump's weaknesses are almost an exact overlap so may reinforce existing intention rather than swing votes.

If it's Trump vs Clinton, then Bloomberg could be in the race too...

And, unlike Trump, he is genuinely rich.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

The VW scandal is contributing to this - the air quality argument should rule out LHR.

Anywhere outside the inner/outer London boundaries :)
  • Options

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Not even Boris island ?

Why bother with Heathrow, getting to Stansted is easy.
  • Options
    Anyone who has followed the pb wisdom and laid Trump out is very much underwater by now. I did briefly, then rebacked.
  • Options

Cromwell said:

==================

Of the nomination or of the general election? I'd make him around evens for the nomination, if only because if there was a decent challenger in the pack then they'd have already shown.
    I think Trump could really struggle in Iowa. And if he takes a tumble there, he will never recover.

Don't forget, Iowa is all about organisation. You need to have people corralling supporters. And the discussions and arguments can really count against someone who seems un-Presidential (see Howard Dean).

I would sell Trump in Iowa (with maybe a covering bet for the nomination).
  • Options
    The Tories have already won two mayor races and that was without the benefit of a ''national security risk ''...Boris Johnson's donut strategy worked insomuch the Tory suburbs outvote the Labour centre but mayor's races tend to suffer low turnout ..when Lynton Crosby frames Khan as both a Corbynista and a Muslim ....a financial risk and a security risk , the voters in the suburbs will be spooked into turning out

Furthermore , Londoners like their mayors to be mavericks of sorts ; while Zac is no ''big personality ''like Boris ,he is still a maverick with his keen environmentalism that is sure to appeal to lots of young voters ...Khan , on the other hand , seems like a rather typical orthodox leftist MP
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    rcs1000 said:

BigRich said:

Paul Kirkby

Alternatively, all three countries are part of Schengen! We need to join Schengen!

More seriously, I think Switzerland is a good compare for what we want our economy to be like. I'm not sure either Iceland or Norway - which are basically utterly dependent on primary industries - are that great comparisons.
    "utterly dependent on primary industries"

Like banking and houses?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

William_H said:

Goodness - I just assumed it must mean net wealth - I don't owe a penny to anyone - can't see the point of paying debt interest if you don't need to.
This discussion has been closed.