Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election and Westminster By-Election Results : Dec

SystemSystem Posts: 11,692
edited December 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election and Westminster By-Election Results : December 3rd 2015

Ash South and Tongham on Guildford (Con defence)
Result: Conservative 540 (43% unchanged), Liberal Democrat 286 (23% +6%), United Kingdom Independence Party 153 (12%, no candidate in 2015), Guildford Greenbelt 145 (12% -7%), Labour 125 (10% -11%)
Conservative HOLD with a majority of 254 (17%) on a swing of 3% from Conservative to Liberal Democrat

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    HYUFD said:

Danny565 said:

Jonathan said:

Amazing that Labour can drop their majority by around 4000 and claim it is a stupendous victory

It's probably because they know something about politics that you seem not to. Turnout goes down in by-elections, doubly so for by-elections in December.

Labour did very well yesterday.

Does that mean a huge amount? Not really. But to argue that it was not a good result is either ignorant or wilfully daft.
    Much better than David Cameron's first byelection as Tory leader, too.
    William Hague increased the Tory vote by almost 8% in Uxbridge in 1997 again with a good local candidate, he was trounced in the general election
    If Labour in 2020 were to replicate the swing Hague got in 2001, the Tories would lose their majority.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,936
    Danny565 said:

HYUFD said:

Danny565 said:

Jonathan said:

Amazing that Labour can drop their majority by around 4000 and claim it is a stupendous victory

It's probably because they know something about politics that you seem not to. Turnout goes down in by-elections, doubly so for by-elections in December.

Does that mean a huge amount? Not really. But to argue that it was not a good result is either ignorant or wilfully daft.
    William Hague increased the Tory vote by almost 8% in Uxbridge in 1997 again with a good local candidate, he was trounced in the general election
    If Labour in 2020 were to replicate the swing Hague got in 2001, the Tories would lose their majority.
    Leads to same government, bit less socially liberal.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Danny565 said:

HYUFD said:

Danny565 said:

Jonathan said:

Hague didn't do worse that Major.
    Major got 31%, Hague got 31%, and logically Corbyn will get 31%.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Danny565 said:

HYUFD said:

Danny565 said:

Jonathan said:

I know, there was a 2% swing from Labour to the Tories in 2001. That would put the Tories 14 seats below the majority line in 2020 on such a swing.
  • Options
    Christ on a bike, just watching Trump's videos.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Speedy said:

Danny565 said:

HYUFD said:

Danny565 said:

Jonathan said:

I know, there was a 2% swing from Labour to the Tories in 2001. That would put the Tories 14 seats below the majority line in 2020 on such a swing.
    Labour will increase it's vote in places where it has thumping great majorities (Inner cities), so the seat effect will be less. A 2% swing to Labour would end up with a minority Tory Gov't given c&s by the DUP.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,014
    Danny565 said:

Speedy said:

Danny565 said:

HYUFD said:

Danny565 said:

Jonathan said:

Have you corrected for the new boundaries?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,851
    Danny565 said:

HYUFD said:

Danny565 said:

Jonathan said:

The problem was there were strong swings to the Conservatives in safe Conservative and Labour seats, but a swing to Labour in marginals.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Pulpstar said:

Danny565 said:

Speedy said:

Danny565 said:

HYUFD said:

Danny565 said:

Jonathan said:

Labour will increase it's vote in places where it has thumping great majorities (Inner cities)
    I'm not convinced by that, not least because they really are at the ceiling in a lot of their inner city seats (how are they going to climb even further than the 83% they got this year in Liverpool Walton?!?). Even in the most inner-city seat there will be SOME bankers and big-businessmen, there's just no room left for Labour to grow further in a lot of their safest seats.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946
    edited December 2015
    Danny565 said:

HYUFD said:

Danny565 said:

Jonathan said:

Labour need to do a bit better than that. Barring disaster (or SNP implosion) I don't see how we can have anything other than Conservative or C-led government until 2030. The numbers don't stack up as the once marginal seats we Tories won at the last election are now rock solid safe; and demographically becoming safer.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    JohnO said:

MP_SE said:

Has anyone else encountered a party getting 100% of the postal votes within a particular area of a constituency? Maybe it is more common in those one party state constituencies.

NIGEL Farage called for an investigation into the Oldham West byelection today after Labour scooped an unprecedented 100 PER CENT of the votes in one area
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/624160/Nigel-Farage-John-Bickley-Jim-McMahon-Ukip-Labour-Oldham-West-Royton
    How can he possibly know that? All postal votes are validated together but not counted and not by individual areas before polling day and then all are added to and mixed in with those cast during the day. Farage is talking rubbish.
    Thanks for explaining. What a sore loser.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Pulpstar said:

Danny565 said:

Speedy said:

Danny565 said:

HYUFD said:

Danny565 said:

Jonathan said:

Labour will increase it's vote in places where it has thumping great majorities (Inner cities)
    I'm not convinced by that, not least because they really are at the ceiling in a lot of their inner city seats (how are they going to climb even further than the 83% they got this year in Liverpool Walton?!?). Even in the most inner-city seat there will be SOME bankers and big-businessmen, there's just no room left for Labour to grow further in a lot of their safest seats.
    These seats probably become safer because the minority voting for other parties don't bother...

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,857
    Hold Hold Hold. Boring Boring Boring.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,873
    Mortimer said:

Labour need to do a bit better than that. Barring disaster (or SNP implosion) I don't see how we can have anything other than Conservative or C-led government until 2030. The numbers don't stack up as the once marginal seats we Tories won at the last election are now rock solid safe; and demographically becoming safer.

This was the argument "you Tories" used after 1992. You'd won a fourth victory in the teeth of a recession, against the odds. You were the Natural Party of Government. Once the economy was fixed, you'd be in for ever.

Remind me what happened in 1997....

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Christ on a bike, just watching Trump's videos.

What's he said now?
  • Options
    For full disclosure, I was one of the ones who called Labour's vote increase in 2015 being disproportionately concentrated in their inner-city safe seats, mainly because it was forecast by the European elections.

However, people seem to be making the assumption that because that's what happened this time, it will automatically happen next time too, which....doesn't make any sense.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Mortimer said:

This was the argument "you Tories" used after 1992. You'd won a fourth victory in the teeth of a recession, against the odds. You were the Natural Party of Government. Once the economy was fixed, you'd be in for ever.

Remind me what happened in 1997....

New leader - innit.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

For full disclosure, I was one of the ones who called Labour's vote increase in 2015 being disproportionately concentrated in their inner-city safe seats, mainly because it was forecast by the European elections.

However, people seem to be making the assumption that because that's what happened this time, it will automatically happen next time too, which....doesn't make any sense.

Quite. Last night taught us one thing above all: no one knows anything.
  • Options

Danny565 said:

I'm confident that having called 2015 so wrong, I'm due a good performance in 2020.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,983
    SeanT said:

Bloody hell. Muslim refugees allegedly unfurl banner at Macedonian border, while chanting Allahu Akhbar.

Have a look what it says.

http://nyheteridag.se/oppna-gransen-eller-do-har-ar-flyktingarnas-hot-mot-europa/

Could be "open or we will die". I'm ever the optimist....
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,049

Danny565 said:

Phew. I was thinking it was only me who doesn't know anything.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Why was it in English..
  • Options

Why was it in English..

If it is real and not photoshopped, English signs play better for international coverage.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,884

Danny565 said:

I really wish I knew something. I could earn money from betting. Godsdammit! I need a reliable predictor!
  • Options
    Harry's comment - if it is from Harry - to Nutall is, not to put too fine a point on it, utter bollocks.

UKIP have long campaigned about the problems with postal voting and have not changed their position now. Given that all elections in the UK are held using a system that allows postal voting what Harry is in effect saying is that the only way one could be justified in protesting about postal votes is if you never stood for an election.

Sorry Harry but your attack is crass, stupid and illogical.
  • Options
    RobD said:

SeanT said:

Bloody hell. Muslim refugees allegedly unfurl banner at Macedonian border, while chanting Allahu Akhbar.

http://nyheteridag.se/oppna-gransen-eller-do-har-ar-flyktingarnas-hot-mot-europa/

I think we are approaching some ridiculous panic levels, like in america where now the recommendation from the media is that "If Somebody Named Syed Leaves Your Party Call the Cops" :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUNOMeB1t6s
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited December 2015
    Jaw dropping stuff from America

The shooters' landlord opened up their apartment to the media and MSNBC and CNN did live pieces to camera from inside their apartment, casually flashing id documents of killer's parents

http://gawker.com/msnbc-reporter-rifles-through-san-bernardino-shooters-a-1746220523
  • Options
    Speedy said:

RobD said:

SeanT said:

I think we are approaching some ridiculous panic levels, like in america where now the recommendation from the media is that "If Somebody Named Syed Leaves Your Party Call the Cops" :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUNOMeB1t6s
    I wish someone would sit down and work how infinitesimally small the chances are of actually being caught up in a terrorist incident. Even now after Paris and the US attack. I assume someone must have done maths and I would suggest it is so utterly tiny it is not actually worth worrying about.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @TelegraphNews: David Cameron may campaign for Brexit, allies say https://t.co/fJhtXSRQbf https://t.co/y5jcy2NS4z
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,049
    Alistair said:

The shooters' landlord opened up their apartment to the media and MSNBC and CNN did live pieces to camera from inside their apartment, casually flashing id documents of killer's parents

http://gawker.com/msnbc-reporter-rifles-through-san-bernardino-shooters-a-1746220523

I listened to a segment of that on Radio 5, and it was uncomfortable listening. Should the journalists really have been there?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Alistair said:

I listened to a segment of that on Radio 5, and it was uncomfortable listening. Should the journalists really have been there?
    There is some confusion as to whether it is a sealed crime scene or not so they may or may not have been committing a felony.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@TelegraphNews: David Cameron may campaign for Brexit, allies say https://t.co/fJhtXSRQbf https://t.co/y5jcy2NS4z

Next, Martians land on Parliament Square.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,651

Danny565 said:

Quite right - I thought we would only get 55.55%!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

And Father Christmas might exist.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

The media at it's best.
    "and here in a worldwide exclusive we bring you the contents of the garbage bag"
  • Options

Scott_P said:

An exit leading to the EEA would be quite plausible.
  • Options
    Sandy Rentool ... You actually got 4000 less... a stunning victory...
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

OGH and myself will have long flowing locks before that happens.
  • Options
    While we are sticking on America, a case of dogs not liking the dog food:

http://www.npr.org/2015/12/04/458181398/why-isnt-ad-spending-buying-gop-candidates-better-poll-numbers?

Jeb Bush has spent almost 30$ million on TV ads to poll just 3%.
    Marco Rubio has spent more than 10$ million to poll around 12%.
    Cruz has spent less than a million and is polling as much as Rubio.
    Not to mention Trump who has spent nothing on TV ads and has 10 times the numbers of Bush and 3 times that of Rubio.

So far the more money the candidates spend on advertising the more they drop in the polls.
  • Options

Sandy Rentool ... You actually got 4000 less... a stunning victory...

I thought you'd been put in your place for that nonsense already.
  • Options
    If Cameron did that then we would leave..no doubt about it..
  • Options
    SR Except is is not nonsense..you got 4000 less votes than last time..in a red rosette on a donkey area..where is the nonsense..
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    Speedy said:

While we are sticking on America, a case of dogs not liking the dog food:

http://www.npr.org/2015/12/04/458181398/why-isnt-ad-spending-buying-gop-candidates-better-poll-numbers?

Jeb Bush has spent almost 30$ million on TV ads to poll just 3%.
    Marco Rubio has spent more than 10$ million to poll around 12%.
    Cruz has spent less than a million and is polling as much as Rubio.
    Not to mention Trump who has spent nothing on TV ads and has 10 times the numbers of Bush and 3 times that of Rubio.

So far the more money the candidates spend on advertising the more they drop in the polls.

Or the more they drop in the polls, the more desperate they get.

• Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312

Harry's comment - if it is from Harry - to Nutall is, not to put too fine a point on it, utter bollocks.

UKIP have long campaigned about the problems with postal voting and have not changed their position now. Given that all elections in the UK are held using a system that allows postal voting what Harry is in effect saying is that the only way one could be justified in protesting about postal votes is if you never stood for an election.

As a generalisation and apropos of nothing, why have postal voting except where there is a bona fide reason for needing one? If you can't be arsed to get yourself to a polling station then you don't deserve a vote.
  • Options

Agreed completely. I had to reread it a couple of times to check I wasn't missing something as it is so obviously an absurd and illogical comment.

The much better comment is that even if 100% of postal votes were for Labour and even if 100% were deducted from the tally then Labour would have still won comfortably. UKIP lost pure and simple.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

There is 0% chance that Cameron will campaign for Brexit.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    Mildly on topic:

If the fecundity of my distant ancestors who emigrated from Royton in the 18th century, and my political inclinations, are typical of their relatives who remained, then that would help explain the current resounding outcome for Labour.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

Scott_P said:

Because there is 0% chance the Europeans won't give us what we demand.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,884

Scott_P said:

An exit leading to the EEA would be quite plausible.
    Anything is plausible What I want is likely. Unfortunately, it t'aint on sale...:(:
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Speedy said:

Alistair said:

The media at it's best.
    "and here in a worldwide exclusive we bring you the contents of the garbage bag"
    Speaking of the media at its best, BBC World Service yesterday ran an extended report about a Yoga instructor from England who went to India to buy a machine that makes sanitary napkins for women and delivered it to a refugee camp in Jordan. Apparently they are not delivered by the relief agencies. The report included too much information on what ladies use in the absence of sanitary napkins.
  • Options
    Toms said:

Mildly on topic:

If the fecundity of my distant ancestors who emigrated from Royton in the 18th century, and my political inclinations, are typical of their relatives who remained, then that would help explain the current resounding outcome for Labour.

If that were true, the south would become increasingly left wing with all those northern immigrants.
    I'm not betting on it yet.
  • Options

MP_SE said:

Scott_P said:

Because there is 0% chance the Europeans won't give us what we demand.
    There is a chance that Cameron's plan to come back with associate membership falls through, however, I have no doubt that the man with the EU cufflinks will campaign to stay in regardless.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    This is ridiculous, even the BBC reporter is allowed to leave his fingerprints on everything inside the house.

"oh look a credit card, lets touch it, oh look a computer screen lets touch it too"

Have those police officers any idea of a proper police investigation?
    That property should be cordoned off.
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112

Agreed completely. I had to reread it a couple of times to check I wasn't missing something as it is so obviously an absurd and illogical comment.

The much better comment is that even if 100% of postal votes were for Labour and even if 100% were deducted from the tally then Labour would have still won comfortably. UKIP lost pure and simple.
    Regardless of whether Labour would have won comfortably without postal votes it's important that questions are asked about why large groups off people find it necessary to use this option.

There may well be a perfectly reasonable explanation as to why so so many Oldham residents were unable to find their way to the polling station but I've yet to hear it.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

This is ridiculous, even the BBC reporter is allowed to leave his fingerprints on everything inside the house.

"oh look a credit card, lets touch it, oh look a computer screen lets touch it too"

Yes and they had completed it in the apartment. It doesn't take an evidence team long to do a forensic sweep of an apartment, taking away what they need to.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited December 2015
    MP_SE said:

Scott_P said:

I agree 0% chance now. Ha Ha. Best laugh of the day.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,816
    edited December 2015
    FPT for @JosiasJessop and others interested - the report on the Forth Road Bridge's current condition and problems (well, apart from the new crack specifically):

http://www.transportscotland.gov.uk/report/j8512a-03.htm
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

HYUFD said:

Danny565 said:

Jonathan said:

But 2015 was the second Labour loss at a General Election - so Miliband = Hague, Corbyn = Howard.
  • Options

Danny565 said:

HYUFD said:

Danny565 said:

Jonathan said:

But 2015 was the second Labour loss at a General Election - so Miliband = Hague, Corbyn = Howard.
    31 to 33% is not a long way.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,053
    “They want to blow up our country. They want to blow up our cities. They want to knock down our buildings, and [Pres. Barack Obama’s] worried about global warming. We have somebody that’s not in touch.” – Donald Trump
    https://www.facebook.com/FoxNews/videos/10153881724431336/?fref=nf
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,191

I suspect Ukip were upset at the scale of the defeat rather than the defeat itself. But it's not about that, it's about right and wrong. If Ukip have gained from illicit postal votes then that's just as bad, but I suspect they haven't and Harry knows that full well.
  • Options

Danny565 said:

HYUFD said:

Danny565 said:

Jonathan said:

No, Corbyn =IDS, IDS came after Hague, Benn perhaps = Howard
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Danny565 said:

HYUFD said:

Danny565 said:

Jonathan said:

Ah, yes :)
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    There is a chance that Cameron's plan to come back with associate membership falls through, however

No there isn't. The 'associate membership' deal is already done -it's just a name change for the status quo.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Speedy said:

Danny565 said:

HYUFD said:

Danny565 said:

Jonathan said:

So what, the Tories did not get a majority in 2010 and Cameron became PM and the Tories are now more likely to do a confidence and supply deal with UKIP and the DUP than the LDs if there is a hung parliament making an even more rightwing government than a majority Tory one would be
  • Options

MP_SE said:

Scott_P said:

The problem as to why no one believes Cameron on this issue, is that he spent most of his political career portraying himself as a pro-european.

So when he makes demands such as these:
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CVaLFbSWEAEBddw.jpg

Or making threats such as these:
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CVaasBDWoAE2Grn.jpg

No side believes his demands or his threats are serious, whether it's Brussels or euroskeptics.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Yeah. And I might join Stop The War.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

And the LibDems will win the 2020 Election :)
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Danny565 said:

HYUFD said:

Danny565 said:

Jonathan said:

Ah, yes :)
    Indeed, if the Tories are a guide more than one more leader to get through before Labour get a future PM
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    We are quickly finding out in the West that we have been importing a fifth column for years now and that perhaps, perhaps, these terrorist attacks might have something to do with Islam?
  • Options

We are quickly finding out in the West that we have been importing a fifth column for years now and that perhaps, perhaps, these terrorist attacks might have something to do with Islam?

Nonsense! You should know by now that even Islam itself has nothing to do with Islam!
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2015
    I see the Corbyn Terrorist Sympathiser line got an outing on HIGNFY...Lyton Crosby is probably at home in Oz, with a lager on his hand, saying something like "their learning, their learning"...
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Speedy said:

Yes and they had completed it in the apartment. It doesn't take an evidence team long to do a forensic sweep of an apartment, taking away what they need to.
    The video was bizarre and a bit ghoulish I thought still.
  • Options

You had me until the last line...then I thought well that is definitely bollocks.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

MP_SE said:

Scott_P said:

The problem as to why no one believes Cameron on this issue, is that he spent most of his political career portraying himself as a pro-european.

No side believes his demands or his threats are serious, whether it's Brussels or euroskeptics.
    We know it's certified bullshit for four reasons:

(a) his past form
    (b) the fact his close allies and friends have consistently briefed that he sees Britain's membership of the EU as fundamental to the nation's interests, its global standing and its foreign policy
    (c) continuing tangential statements on the value of the EU in his words and actions; citing the desirability of the future membership of Turkey being but one recent example
    (d) the fact no.10 have made no contingency plans whatsoever for Brexit, and have no intention to do so

Thankfully, most people aren't fooled.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    What's Dave renegotiated so far btw ?

Or indicated he might get ?

2016 has been tipped up on here as the referendum year, and this is a major deal so I'd expect the first shifts to be appearing about now...
  • Options
    edited December 2015

Speedy said:

MP_SE said:

Scott_P said:

We know it's certified bullshit for four reasons:

(a) his past form
    (b) the fact his close allies and friends have consistently briefed that he sees Britain's membership of the EU as fundamental to the nation's interests, its global standing and its foreign policy
    (c) continuing tangential statements on the value of the EU in his words and actions; citing the desirability of the future membership of Turkey being but one recent example
    (d) the fact no.10 have made no contingency plans whatsoever for Brexit, and have no intention to do so

Thankfully, most people aren't fooled.
    Precisely.
    Everyone knows he's not serious and he's bluffing.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Just discovered that the new MP for Oldham West has two kids but is not married. Bit surprised UKIP did not try to make something of his 'living in sin ' - having kids out of wedlock etc. It does somewhat undermine his clean cut image and I would not have expected such moral standards to have gone down well with the Asian community - had UKIP tried to make it an issue.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

2016 has been tipped up on here as the referendum year, and this is a major deal so I'd expect the first shifts to be appearing about now...

The square root of sod all.
    Cameron will still campaign for Remain.
    When it comes to the EU, Cameron is a complete Jellyfish

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Well according to the FT, Cameron is demanding to insert language in the EU treaty that the EU is a multicurrency union.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

In future the Eurocrats have agreed to use lubricant.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Tim_B said:

Speedy said:

The video was bizarre and a bit ghoulish I thought still.
    Bizarre is a good word to describe it.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

Pulpstar said:

Found some stuff:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34803222

Donald Tusk - "Dave, we're going to boot you into the long grass"

https://www.rt.com/uk/324751-cameron-eu-reform-retreat/

Dave - "The grass is growing longer"

They have utter contempt for his "renegotiations" !, I expect Junker wants to make Dave look like a prize plonker in particular.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Pulpstar said:

Well according to the FT, Cameron is demanding to insert language in the EU treaty that the EU is a multicurrency union.
    That'll be the February concession.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Just discovered that the new MP for Oldham West has two kids but is not married. Bit surprised UKIP did not try to make something of his 'living in sin ' - having kids out of wedlock etc. It does somewhat undermine his clean cut image and I would not have expected such moral standards to have gone down well with the Asian community - had UKIP tried to make it an issue.

What "moral standards"? Like Rotherham you mean?
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Pulpstar said:

Speedy said:

Pulpstar said:

That'll be the February concession.
    What?
    That Britain can keep the pound?
    I thought Major got that opt out in 1991, 24 years ago.

Anyway Goodnight.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

"There's always time for lubricant!" :lol:
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    justin124 said:

Interesting that it has only occurred to your bigoted small mind that it could be an issue.

It wouldn't have crossed the mind of any right thinking person. You are weird.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited December 2015
    From the comments of the usual suspects, the naive would think that David Cameron gets to decide whether we stay in the EU.

Guys, this is a referendum. Look it up. If we don't like the deal, we can vote to leave. David Cameron has a say, of course - one vote in about 46 million.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Found some stuff:

They have utter contempt for his "renegotiations" !, I expect Junker wants to make Dave look like a prize plonker in particular.
    Cameron would let the EU arse rape him. Oh for a handbag wielding Maggie.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Found some stuff:

Cameron would let the EU arse rape him. Oh for a handbag wielding Maggie.
    That’s what I was inferring!
  • Options

Agree 100% Phil. And as I said this morning, even if Farage did have concerns about fraud the way to deal with it was through the authorities rather than shouting it out across the media. But the point is well made. Even without postal voting UKIP got beaten and maybe Farage ought to consider that perhaps his reaction now is already contributing to their next by-election defeat.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

From the comments of the usual suspects, the naive would think that David Cameron gets to decide whether we stay in the EU.

Guys, this is a referendum. Look it up. If we don't like the deal, we can vote to leave. David Cameron has a say, of course - one vote in about 46 million.

I think most people are amused with the games being played with the media. It is quite obvious what is going on.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

"There's always time for lubricant!" :lol:
    Particularly if your name is Justin :lol:
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited December 2015
    MP_SE said:

I think most people are amused with the games being played with the media. It is quite obvious what is going on.

Is it? It seems to be 99% uninformed speculation or quotes from people uninvolved in the negotiations. Mind you, one can well understand that our EU friends, especially France, are not 100% focused on the UK's demands just at the moment.
  • Options
    TomTom Posts: 273
    Excellent result for Labour and a slight move to the centre in the PLP.

interesting for me is the inability of anyone to park their tanks on labour's pacifist lawn. In years gone by the Lib Dems would have been very competitive here but it looks a long road back for them now. It would appear that UKIP look both amateurish and extreme to a large amount of the voting public.

As for the Conservtaives this looks quite bad for Osborne to me. His two themes: northern powerhouse (and this is part of the g. Manc Devo deal) and the new workers party seem to have fallen flat. He has been front and centre of everything since the election. Obviously that is aimed at the stockports and crewes of this world but hasn't got any traction at all here where the Tories have got 20% in local elections.

Corbyn remains unelectable and McDonnell is mad enough to destroy the party but this election suggests labour may have a bit of space to screw up internally and it not be an extinction event like in Scotland. There is no snp in labour england.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    'I think most people are amused with the games being played with the media. It is quite obvious what is going on.'

Indeed it is - but the Danes yesterday have shown us the right way to respond to this kind of pathetic attempt at manipulation.Tell the political establishment to get stuffed.
  • Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237
    So here's another million quid which could have gone on patient care gone to satisfy solely to satisfy the government's dogma. Bit of schadenfreude that it's Lansley's ex-constituents who will be the most shafted. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-35000421
  • Options

MP_SE said:

Is it? It seems to be 99% uninformed speculation or quotes from people uninvolved in the negotiations. Mind you, one can well understand that our EU friends, especially France, are not 100% focused on the UK's demands just at the moment.
    Perhaps. But there'll always be an excuse to put Britain at the back of the queue.
This discussion has been closed.