Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Betting on a UKIP by-election upset in the absence of hard

1235»

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,139

Political betting below the line is a remarkable place. Tonight it is an interpolated palimpsest of politics, dentistry and practical lingerie management.

New tagline for the site perhaps?

Honestly, it's the only way to discuss politics at length without becoming too angry and intense all the time. Distractions ahoy!
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,961

Dair said:

You misunderstand - she was told that she couldn't have her own records.

Because the clear nuance is that she regularly asks (and wastes the time of) the wrong people in making these ridiculous demands which likely contribute to the problems with her records.

The story also sounds heavily massaged.
    I think you have mixed my posts with Malmesbury's. Maybe a lie down, a cup of coffee and two Panadols will help.
    It was, of course an intersection with that strange life form that exists so often in large organisation, the Office Napoleon. David Brent made real. As in art, the annoying uselessness of the specimen is inversely related to it's qualifications and/or position in the organisation.

I always find the really senior people quite pleasant to deal with. Ask a polite question, get a polite and informative answer is the rule.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,960
    RobD said:

Mortimer said:

Alistair said:

My general advice now is brush your teeth properly. It is worth it.

Agreed - dentists must hate the electric toothbrush....
    My dentist is always moaning that I should floss. I probably should, but I'm hoping that my bi-annual visits to the dentist/hygienist make up for it.

Alistair- did you not go to the dentist for 10 years, or did they keep badgering you about stuff but failed to follow through on it (much like me?)
    Do we have any dentists on here?

My anecdotal experience from my family and others is that with modern dental hygiene teeth quality is pretty genetic. My parents are both blessed with excellent teeth. A chap I play cricket has a mouth that looks like a horror show - as does his Dad!
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,228
    TOPPING said:

I know (or can guess) what an underwired bra is.

What @rcs1000 said about Proxies and Thor and IP addresses meanwhile...not a scooby doo.

When you browse the internet, the page you are looking at has to be sent to you. To do that, it has to know where you are: not *physically* where you are, but a short string of numbers that uniquely identifies your computer. That string of numbers is your computer's "IP address". It's not constant: I work from home/library on weekends, live somewhere else during the week, and work in a third location from multiple PCs, so my usage of this site involves multiple IP addresses. Since I'm a rather boring statistician and do not present as a High Panjandrum, I assume OGH is not bothered one jot.

But there are ways to obscure your IP address, either by hiding it entirely or pretending to be somewhere else. You can link to the internet not directly, but via a "proxy server" - every page you look at has to go thru the proxy and the proxy doesn't tell the page supplier who you are, it just hands it on. A "Tor" (not Thor!) browser links encryptedly to a smaller network which in turn links to the larger internet, and again the smaller network doesn't tell the page supplier who you are. So anybody using a proxy or a Tor browser is anonymous.

Anonymous web browsing is neither illegal, immoral nor fattening. But anybody using it cannot be identified. This enables things like sockpuppets (one person presenting as two or more people) or interested parties hiding their interest.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

Dair said:

You misunderstand - she was told that she couldn't have her own records.

Because the clear nuance is that she regularly asks (and wastes the time of) the wrong people in making these ridiculous demands which likely contribute to the problems with her records.

The story also sounds heavily massaged.
    I think you have mixed my posts with Malmesbury's. Maybe a lie down, a cup of coffee and two Panadols will help.
    It was, of course an intersection with that strange life form that exists so often in large organisation, the Office Napoleon. David Brent made real. As in art, the annoying uselessness of the specimen is inversely related to it's qualifications and/or position in the organisation.

I always find the really senior people quite pleasant to deal with. Ask a polite question, get a polite and informative answer is the rule.
    I never liked David Brent. Of course, that was maybe the point.

Time for a green tea and then off to bed so I can be fresh for another day of misunderstanding the world and asking for all the wrong things.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,031
    Mortimer said:

RobD said:

Mortimer said:

Alistair said:

My dentist is always moaning that I should floss. I probably should, but I'm hoping that my bi-annual visits to the dentist/hygienist make up for it.

Alistair- did you not go to the dentist for 10 years, or did they keep badgering you about stuff but failed to follow through on it (much like me?)

My anecdotal experience from my family and others is that with modern dental hygiene teeth quality is pretty genetic. My parents are both blessed with excellent teeth. A chap I play cricket has a mouth that looks like a horror show - as does his Dad!
    My mum has good teeth, my dad not so much. So 50/50 :D
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,961
    viewcode said:

TOPPING said:

What @rcs1000 said about Proxies and Thor and IP addresses meanwhile...not a scooby doo.

When you browse the internet, the page you are looking at has to be sent to you. To do that, it has to know where you are: not *physically* where you are, but a short string of numbers that uniquely identifies your computer. That string of numbers is your computer's "IP address". It's not constant: I work from home/library on weekends, live somewhere else during the week, and work in a third location from multiple PCs, so my usage of this site involves multiple IP addresses. Since I'm a rather boring statistician and do not present as a High Panjandrum, I assume OGH is not bothered one jot.

But there are ways to obscure your IP address, either by hiding it entirely or pretending to be somewhere else. You can link to the internet not directly, but via a "proxy server" - every page you look at has to go thru the proxy and the proxy doesn't tell the page supplier who you are, it just hands it on. A "Tor" (not Thor!) browser links encryptedly to a smaller network which in turn links to the larger internet, and again the smaller network doesn't tell the page supplier who you are. So anybody using a proxy or a Tor browser is anonymous.

Anonymous web browsing is neither illegal, immoral nor fattening. But anybody using it cannot be identified. This enables things like sockpuppets (one person presenting as two or more people) or interested parties hiding their interest.
    Though more and more people are using obfuscation of their location - all part of the growing awareness of the amount of surveillance amateur, professional and governmental that goes on.
  • Options

viewcode said:

'mazing. They do say that one day every home will have such a magic machine, whereby people from around the world will gather on one screen to discuss the politics of the day and how one may profit from wagers thereby. Can't see it, myself...:-)

Next they will be eliminating slips of paper and allowing electronic bets.

After the absolute pants-wetting terror of my brief (tho successful!) online political betting career, going into a Ladbrokes and giving a human paper money in return for a paper slip does have its attractions...
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

AnneJGP said:

Crikey, first we have Mrs C with her malfunctioning underwired bras (whatever they are) and now we have you two discussing expressions of female sexuality. This is a politics site, ladies, and some of us chaps just don't need to know about that stuff.

Really Mr Llama... an underwire bra is one where the cup is stiffened and supported by a hard wire that runs under the cup from one side to the other. Eventually the wire wears through the fabric and starts jabbing you. If this happens in the middle of the day you have little choice other than to pull the wire out and throw it away resulting in having a "saggy" side for the rest of the day.

A minor operation on the bra when new will prevent this. A small incision on the fabric covering the loop, remove an inch or so of the wire itself with wire-cutters, and hey presto! no jabs.
    The most worthwhile post on PB this evening. I shall go and dig out the wire cutters!
    I forgot to add, (1) a stitch or so to stop the shortened wire from wriggling round up to the incision point, and (2) amount of wire to remove depends on personal anatomy.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,646
    edited November 2015

Crikey, first we have Mrs C with her malfunctioning underwired bras (whatever they are) and now we have you two discussing expressions of female sexuality. This is a politics site, ladies, and some of us chaps just don't need to know about that stuff.

Really Mr Llama... an underwire bra is one where the cup is stiffened and supported by a hard wire that runs under the cup from one side to the other. Eventually the wire wears through the fabric and starts jabbing you. If this happens in the middle of the day you have little choice other than to pull the wire out and throw it away resulting in having a "saggy" side for the rest of the day.

Thank you, Mrs C., you efforts to remedy my ignorance are appreciated. However I now have information that I rather wished I didn't have and which I am going to have to do my best to forget.

Once, on a course, I was the only chap amongst the delegates staying at a particular hotel. Naturally we all went out for drinkies and a curry but the four ladies found that having a man present was cramping their conversation. So they made me an honorary girl for the evening. Gosh, I learned a lot and a lot that no man should, in my opinion, be allowed to know. I got drunk as a quick as I could so that I would no longer be completely embarrassed and would, hopefully, not remember too much of the conversation. Unfortunately the ladies matched me drink for drink and as they too got drunk so they became even more uninhibited in their talk.
    By the time I made to my bed I was a much wiser and much sadder man.
    :):):)

Welcome to the other side Mr Llama. I am sure the conversation was much more interesting than, say, racing cars or horses....
    Trains.... must have trains... :lol:
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,302
    viewcode said:

TOPPING said:

Exactly :-)
  • Options

viewcode said:

TOPPING said:

Though more and more people are using obfuscation of their location - all part of the growing awareness of the amount of surveillance amateur, professional and governmental that goes on.
    We have always had a policy of requiring real email addresses on this site. Personally, I don't care about people using tor or proxies or whatever.

However, perhaps it would be best if it was clear to anyone reading a post that the author had chosen to hide their location.
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    Dair said:

Alistair said:

My most recent experience with NHS dentistry was

15:05 Start eating Refresher bar (Left over from Halloween)
    15:06 Discover I had pulled out filling with aforesaid Refresher bar
    15:07 Swear
    15:08 Phone dentist
    15:40 Turn up at dentist
    15:45 Seen by dentist
    16:00 Leave with new filling

And it cost me Fourteen whole pounds!

I need a filling replaced and I can't get it until January the 6th,.

How shocking is that, what a shoddy way to treat patients, the NHS should be ashamed, just think of the pain and suffering I will have to go through until the NHS can be bothered to actually treat me in the way my taxes deserve.

Something should be done and the SNP should be utterly ashamed at the way they've allowed the Scottish NHS to fail people like me. I mean, 6 weeks for a filling. It's ridiculous.

Of course, in reality, I need to have my braces taken off to have the filling replaced and my next orthodontic appointment is on the 6th January, both in the morning and afternoon, so they can take it off in the morning, allowing my dentist to do the work and fit my new wire in the afternoon.
    The NHS procedure is now very very different for a filling. Unless my dentists is running a pilot. You now get an initial assessment, you get a cleaning, and told to come back in three months. If in those three months your oral hygiene has not improved, you will not get treatment.

Its the equivalent of being told you wont get medical treatment until you stop smoking/improve diet.

Whether it is right or wrong, it is quite a bold step in publicly funded health provision.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    AnneJGP said:

AnneJGP said:

A minor operation on the bra when new will prevent this. A small incision on the fabric covering the loop, remove an inch or so of the wire itself with wire-cutters, and hey presto! no jabs.
    The most worthwhile post on PB this evening. I shall go and dig out the wire cutters!
    I forgot to add, (1) a stitch or so to stop the shortened wire from wriggling round up to the incision point, and (2) amount of wire to remove depends on personal anatomy.
    Thanks for that. My favourite M&S underwire is nearing the end so I may experiment on it.

Anyway, my bedtime cuppa is made so goodnight one and all.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    viewcode said:

TOPPING said:

[snip]

Anonymous web browsing is neither illegal, immoral nor fattening. But anybody using it properly cannot be identified easily. This enables things like sockpuppets (one person presenting as two or more people) or interested parties hiding their interest.
    Slightly fixed if you will excuse me, viewcode.
    And for the record I use Tor on my main home machine and my laptops.
  • Options

viewcode said:

TOPPING said:

Tell me about it. My many sins are embarrassing but not illegal, so in theory I have nothing to fear. But as things like online banking become more and more common, I'm beginning to think that something like a Tor browser whilst paying off bills might be a good idea. It's all a question of getting organised, of course...:-(
  • Options
    Great journalism from Paul Waugh:

http://huff.to/1YEoUCy

The Parliamentary Labour Party needs to show enough discipline to keep this stuff quiet though. Leaking with reckless abandon isn't going to improve anything.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    edited November 2015
    rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

TOPPING said:

We have always had a policy of requiring real email addresses on this site. Personally, I don't care about people using tor or proxies or whatever.

However, perhaps it would be best if it was clear to anyone reading a post that the author had chosen to hide their location.
    If someone is a betting shrewdie they may be using a false ip... Lots of accounts get closed by bookies rumbling that
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,267

Cameron trying to bounce the vote through with this one day debate,

And labour playing delaying tactics. It comes to something when USA, France and tonight NATO ask us to join their coalition against ISIL and the labour party procrastinate. The time for talking is over, just take the vote
    I'd dearly love to know what the diplomats and politicians there think of the Labour party and its shenanigans.....
  • Options
    A while back I ran the list of pb users IP addresses through a database of "compromised" IPs. One user seemed to be coming from a machine that was part of various ddos attacks and was almost certainly hacked.

I contacted said user to warn them that their machine might be being used for nefarious purposes, and they dropped off the site without even giving me a response.

Belatedly I concluded that said user was a professional sock puppet.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

viewcode said:

TOPPING said:

[snip]

Anonymous web browsing is neither illegal, immoral nor fattening. But anybody using it properly cannot be identified easily. This enables things like sockpuppets (one person presenting as two or more people) or interested parties hiding their interest.
    Fortunately, no one would ever claim to be from Gibraltar if it wasn't true :-)
  • Options

AnneJGP said:

AnneJGP said:

Thanks for that. My favourite M&S underwire is nearing the end so I may experiment on it.

Anyway, my bedtime cuppa is made so goodnight one and all.
    Hope it works for you. Works for me, but I've never had occasion to pass the tip on so no further evidence for or against.

Wise to try it on a near-end-of-life.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

A while back I ran the list of pb users IP addresses through a database of "compromised" IPs. One user seemed to be coming from a machine that was part of various ddos attacks and was almost certainly hacked.

I contacted said user to warn them that their machine might be being used for nefarious purposes, and they dropped off the site without even giving me a response.

PBModerator? :D
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    rcs1000 said:

GeoffM said:

viewcode said:

TOPPING said:

[snip]

Fortunately, no one would ever claim to be from Gibraltar if it wasn't true :-)
    LOLOLOL
  • Options
    notme said:

Dair said:

Alistair said:

How shocking is that, what a shoddy way to treat patients, the NHS should be ashamed, just think of the pain and suffering I will have to go through until the NHS can be bothered to actually treat me in the way my taxes deserve.

Something should be done and the SNP should be utterly ashamed at the way they've allowed the Scottish NHS to fail people like me. I mean, 6 weeks for a filling. It's ridiculous.

Of course, in reality, I need to have my braces taken off to have the filling replaced and my next orthodontic appointment is on the 6th January, both in the morning and afternoon, so they can take it off in the morning, allowing my dentist to do the work and fit my new wire in the afternoon.
    The NHS procedure is now very very different for a filling. Unless my dentists is running a pilot. You now get an initial assessment, you get a cleaning, and told to come back in three months. If in those three months your oral hygiene has not improved, you will not get treatment.

Its the equivalent of being told you wont get medical treatment until you stop smoking/improve diet.

Whether it is right or wrong, it is quite a bold step in publicly funded health provision.
    Wow, is that a one-off or is this now a standard thing?
  • Options
    3,000th post.

Just sayin'
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Very decent of you.

And interesting, too, that the sort of professional sock-puppetry we sometimes jest about really does exist on here....
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

rcs1000 said:

Very decent of you.

And interesting, too, that the sort of professional sock-puppetry we sometimes jest about really does exist on here....
    I think it's incredibly rare. But it does happen.
  • Options
    RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

PBModerator? :D
    TSE, actually...
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,139
    Mortimer said:

rcs1000 said:

Very decent of you.

I'm actually a team of sockpuppets, but not a very good team, hence any inconsistency of political viewpoints expressed.
  • Options
    RobD said:

notme said:

Dair said:

Alistair said:

The dentist said it was now standard at his practice and implied it was across the NHS. The thing is my oral hygiene wasnt bad, room for improvement, as there always is, but in the higher range for all their assessment numbers.

He told me i needed to clean my teeth minimum three times a day, not rinse my mouth after brushing and that i need to buy an electric toothbrush. Unless i did that he doesnt expect to see an improvement. No improvement, no treatment.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

3,000th post.

Just sayin'

But are you REALLY from Gibraltar??!
  • Options
    notme said:

RobD said:

notme said:

Dair said:

Alistair said:

The dentist said it was now standard at his practice and implied it was across the NHS. The thing is my oral hygiene wasnt bad, room for improvement, as there always is, but in the higher range for all their assessment numbers.

He told me i needed to clean my teeth minimum three times a day, not rinse my mouth after brushing and that i need to buy an electric toothbrush. Unless i did that he doesnt expect to see an improvement. No improvement, no treatment.
    3 times a day?
    Not rinsing?

What fresh hell is this dental regime.....

• Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited November 2015
    Lord Feldman has serious questions to answer about how much he knew.
    Feldman signed off £65k for Clarke’s battle buses. Despite allies claiming Lord Feldman had never heard of the Tatler Tory
    http://www.sunnation.co.uk/feldman-signed-off-65k-for-clarkes-battle-buses/

When CCHQ are ordering Tory MPs to voice their support for him on social media you know his days are numbered.
  • Options

GeoffM said:

3,000th post.

Just sayin'

But are you REALLY from Gibraltar??!
    LOL, although if any PBer* finds themselves on the Rock or nearby in Spain then give me a shout and I'll prove my existence by getting the first round in.

*(apart from some of the more insane ones)
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    MP_SE said:

Feldman signed off £65k for Clarke’s battle buses. Despite allies claiming Lord Feldman had never heard of the Tatler Tory

When CCHQ are ordering Tory MPs to voice their support for him on social media you know his days are numbered.

Signing off on project expenditure does not necessarily entailed having detailed knowledge of the individuals involved

You can approve a budget without ever having met the person tasked with running it.

There is a lot of muck being spread - and it is surely better to let the new independent investigation explore this before assuming that everything from Guido or his friends on the Sun is the truth.

I am not saying Feldman is innocent - just that the evidence is not yet compelling enough to persuade me of his ultimate culpability
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

The battlebus won the election for the tories and monstered Labour's 'ground war', they didnt see it coming. Every weekend was like a by election in some marginal seats. They had so many volunteers they didnt know what to do with them, its a shame that this sh*t seems to have being a bully. It was a stupendously good idea that worked amazingly.

We canvassed an entire constituency in one day. An entire constituency!! Have you any idea how long it takes to canvass 20,000 households for a team of six canvassers ?
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Anyone else notice that the Heathrow decision is due soon? I read that we could expect it within days. That's some timing :D
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    notme said:

MP_SE said:

The battlebus won the election for the tories and monstered Labour's 'ground war', they didnt see it coming. Every weekend was like a by election in some marginal seats. They had so many volunteers they didnt know what to do with them, its a shame that this sh*t seems to have being a bully. It was a stupendously good idea that worked amazingly.

We canvassed an entire constituency in one day. An entire constituency!! Have you any idea how long it takes to canvass 20,000 households for a team of six canvassers ?

Sad but true. Iti may have been run by Captain Bligh, but it worked. Presumably most of the volunteers were having a good time or they wouldn't have turned out so often.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited November 2015

The Parliamentary Labour Party needs to show enough discipline to keep this stuff quiet though. Leaking with reckless abandon isn't going to improve anything.

There was considerable anger at my CLP meeting last week at the lack of professionalism from some of these MPs who are giving a running commentary to the media. Including a couple of people saying they suspected some MPs were deliberately trying to stoke up the media narrative against them so that we'd lose the Oldham by-election. And this was at a CLP meeting which (to my surprise) voted to oppose air-strikes by only one vote.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

notme said:

RobD said:

notme said:

Dair said:

Alistair said:

3 times a day?
    Not rinsing?

Sounds like another clever wheeze to persuade people to go to A&E when they're in pain.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,267

AnneJGP said:

I find my Felko garden hand secateurs perfectly adequate for this job.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,051
    AnneJGP said:

Mortimer said:

notme said:

RobD said:

notme said:

Dair said:

Alistair said:

3 times a day?
    Not rinsing?

Sounds like another clever wheeze to persuade people to go to A&E when they're in pain.
    How the hell are you lot all on NHS dentists ?
  • Options

notme said:

MP_SE said:

Sad but true. Iti may have been run by Captain Bligh, but it worked. Presumably most of the volunteers were having a good time or they wouldn't have turned out so often.

notme said:

MP_SE said:

Very much so, it was actually back to the roots of what the Conservative Party used to be about, finding someone..... A lot of socialising, booze and food (not so much the booze where i was, as it was very much, eat, get the job done and go).
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

AnneJGP said:

Mortimer said:

notme said:

RobD said:

notme said:

Dair said:

Alistair said:

3 times a day?
    Not rinsing?

For myself, by extreme good fortune, and a local-authority-arranged waiting list to be notified of when "local" dentists were accepting new NHS patients.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

viewcode said:

TOPPING said:

[snip]

No problem. I was doing the TL:DR version.
  • Options
    TomTom Posts: 273
    Danny565 said:

There was considerable anger at my CLP meeting last week at the lack of professionalism from some of these MPs who are giving a running commentary to the media. Including a couple of people saying they suspected some MPs were deliberately trying to stoke up the media narrative against them so that we'd lose the Oldham by-election. And this was at a CLP meeting which (to my surprise) voted to oppose air-strikes by only one vote.
    I think that view is fairly common. I'd like Corbyn gone tomorrow but don't think he PLP should give a running commentary of what is a private meeting by twitter. I'd say the same about the Shadow Cabinet if Milne hadn't leaked the intended outcome to the gnuriad so they all got alerts 7 minutes into the meeting. Live by he briefing die by the briefing.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Tom said:

Danny565 said:

I think that view is fairly common. I'd like Corbyn gone tomorrow but don't think he PLP should give a running commentary of what is a private meeting by twitter. I'd say the same about the Shadow Cabinet if Milne hadn't leaked the intended outcome to the gnuriad so they all got alerts 7 minutes into the meeting. Live by he briefing die by the briefing.
    Corbyn's little helper, Milne, is either stunningly useless or very arrogant.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

Tom said:

Danny565 said:

Just conceivably both.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,890
    edited December 2015
    Wanderer said:

Tom said:

Danny565 said:

Just conceivably both.
    Stalin Millionaire.......

http://blogs.new.spectator.co.uk/2015/11/seumas-milne-causes-problems-for-the-guardian/

But he did ensure his kids went to grammar school:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/Jeremy_Corbyn/11951866/Exclusive-Jeremy-Corbyns-millionaire-spin-doctor-Seumas-Milne-sent-his-children-to-top-grammar-schools.html
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    RobD said:

Mortimer said:

RobD said:

Mortimer said:

Alistair said:

I'm the opposite. My late mother had all her teeth out, seemingly on a whim, on the recommendation of the dentist, aged 46. I never really got over the shock, and viewed dentists as butchers thereafter, probably to the detriment of my own dental health, although the teeth were never that bad, and look great now after I summoned up the courage to have them fixed finally in Slovakia.

Dad managed to keep all but two of his teeth until he shuffled off at 85...
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

RobD said:

Mortimer said:

RobD said:

Mortimer said:

Alistair said:

I'm the opposite. My late mother had all her teeth out, seemingly on a whim, on the recommendation of the dentist, aged 46. I never really got over the shock, and viewed dentists as butchers thereafter, probably to the detriment of my own dental health, although the teeth were never that bad, and look great now after I summoned up the courage to have them fixed finally in Slovakia.

Dad managed to keep all but two of his teeth until he shuffled off at 85...
    There was a fashion in the '40s & '50s to 'take all teeth out' and replace them with 'more modern dentures' - my mother was a victim of this, though I remember my grandmother commenting with pride on the good deed they had done!
  • Options
    Namecheck for SeanT on the Beeb over the 'Fat Shaming' incident:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-34969424
  • Options

Namecheck for SeanT on the Beeb over the 'Fat Shaming' incident:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-34969424

Not "best selling author and PB luminary"? Not even "commuter"! :D
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806

MP_SE said:

Signing off on project expenditure does not necessarily entailed having detailed knowledge of the individuals involved

You can approve a budget without ever having met the person tasked with running it.

There is a lot of muck being spread - and it is surely better to let the new independent investigation explore this before assuming that everything from Guido or his friends on the Sun is the truth.

I am not saying Feldman is innocent - just that the evidence is not yet compelling enough to persuade me of his ultimate culpability

Well said. There's a lot of innuendo being thrown about for political point scoring and for selling papers. Time to let the inquiry do its work.

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited December 2015
    Pulpstar said:

AnneJGP said:

Mortimer said:

notme said:

RobD said:

notme said:

Dair said:

Alistair said:

3 times a day?
    Not rinsing?

I have 3 NHS dentists within a 7 minute walk of my home, all taking registrations.
  • Options
    Electorate in oldham west royton by election will be just 69033. That's down c3000.

Here's what I guess'll transpire:

Electorate 69033
    Turnout 42% / 29000
    MCMAHON..11000
    BICKLEY. .....12500
    DALVEY..........4000
    OTH................1500
This discussion has been closed.