Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Betting on a UKIP by-election upset in the absence of hard

SystemSystem Posts: 11,692
edited November 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Betting on a UKIP by-election upset in the absence of hard polling

Oldham West & Royton should have been a spectacularly boring by-election.  It is a previously-safe Labour seat held at the last general election by a leftwing MP with a thumping majority and an absolute majority of votes cast.  To gain it, UKIP would require a swing of 17.1%.  Such a swing would be remarkable against a party of government, never mind against a party of opposition.  In normal cir…

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Excellent piece Alastair.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,049
    You cheat TSE!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,857
    Poor UKIP, it is so difficult to break through.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Am surprised that the Labour Candidate is keen to block critics on Twitter. Has he blocked journalists for covering the story of the segregated meeting last night was well?
  • Options
    Pity people trying to be the first to edit Wikipedia entries ...
  • Options
    "For some reason I find myself compelled to watch again the Thick Of It episode where Nicola Murray attends shad-cab (sic) with the Quiet Bat People plan..."

Did the plan have backing of thousands of labour members in an e-mail survey though?
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited November 2015
    So, TSE taken in by spoof tweet, and as-if-by-magic a new thread appears on a completely different topic.
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:tired_face::rage:
  • Options
    FPT - A spoof account reported Hillary Benn had resigned, HE HAS NOT RESIGNED
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    kle4 said:

Poor UKIP, it is so difficult to break through.

Indeed. UKIP so close to winning yet so far.
  • Options
    Mr Meeks writes a coherent fact filled article on PB. Thanks.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

So, TSE taken in by spoof tweet, and as-if-by-magic a new thread appears on a completely different topic.

Mike published this piece.

I'm editing PB on Friday, I don't need this kind of stress.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946

Bloody imposters. So frustrating.
  • Options
    George Eaton Verified account
    @georgeeaton
    Shadow cabinet members were angered when intended conclusion of meeting was pre-briefed to the Guardian (without Corbyn's knowledge).

Seamus?
  • Options
    @stephenkb: Not that it matters but told that Labour HQ did NOT check poll results. Just 100 emails checked, not 1,900 as claimed.

@stephenkb: Milne overruled Labour spinners who objected and sent release out at any case.
  • Options
    Right, I'm going out for more popcorn, I'll be back in an hour. God alone knows what will have happened by then.
  • Options
    Good piece, Mr. Meeks.

Mr. Anorak, be kind. Mr. Eagles has a track record of being fooled by convincing bounders, such as Caesar.
  • Options
    edited November 2015

Anorak said:

Stress? Imagine being in the parliamentary lobby, with mobile access to twitter, etc, and wanting/needing the kudos of being first to print.

Amazing false stories don't get put about more often.

*thinks* *rubs hands* *evil laugh*
  • Options
    "Conservative voters don’t have much of a track record of tactical voting"

It's obviously difficult to tell in the context of turnout dropping (and being in government) but it looks to me that there was some Tory --> UKIP tactical voting in Heywood (-15%) and perhaps also Wythenshawe (-11%) and South Shields (-10%). In Newark the Tory vote was only down 9%, from a much higher base (though they may have picked up some anti-UKIP votes).

I'd be backing UKIP here too, at current prices.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    edited November 2015

Very sneaky. Looks like it used an "I" (eye) instead of "l" (ell) in "Elects".

Twitter should remove them for misrepresentation.

• Options
    There's only one bigger shambles than Corbyn's Labour and that's Pakistan's running between the wickets.
  • Options

There's only one bigger shambles than Corbyn's Labour and that's Pakistan's running between the wickets.

Er. 10 ball over with two wickets. Don't see that every day.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,519
    edited November 2015
    Anorak said:

Anorak said:

Stress? Imagine being in the parliamentary lobby, with mobile access to twitter, etc, and wanting/needing the kudos of being first to print.

I nearly caused a huge clusterfuck a few years.

During the last Parliament I usually on a Saturday night I emailed Mike the polling figures from The Sunday Times.

Normally they use a graph, however after one budget, they put the polling figures in the editorial it was something like Con 34, Lab 38, except I emailed Mike the figures of

Con 43 and Lab 38

Mike had to ring me to confirm it and I was like oops.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2015

@stephenkb: Not that it matters but told that Labour HQ did NOT check poll results. Just 100 emails checked, not 1,900 as claimed.

@stephenkb: Milne overruled Labour spinners who objected and sent release out at any case.

WTF....so their massive 75% claim was actually based an anti-war Corbyn place man in HQ checking 100 emails. It makes the evidence behind Tony's 45 minute claim look rock solid.

Were all the email checked from a Mr J Corbyn of North London?
  • Options

WTF....so their massive 75% claim was actually based an anti-war Corbyn place man in HQ checking 100 emails. It makes the evidence behind Tony's 45 minute claim look rock solid.

Well, 75 of them were...
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

If they'd checked all 100,000 it would still be a self-selecting, unvalidated dataset.
  • Options
    Well he would say that wouldn't he?

@stephenkb: Milne tells @AdamBienkov that reports they only sampled 100 are "a pack of lies".
  • Options
    edited November 2015

Well he would say that wouldn't he?

@stephenkb: Milne tells @AdamBienkov that reports they only sampled 100 are "a pack of lies".

The political version of the Keystone Cops.

Seamus showing his team the art of spinning: https://deadwrite.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/keystone-cops11.jpg
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,352
    edited November 2015
    UKIP came within about 600 votes at Heywood & Middleton
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    Thanks Alastair. Really thorough piece.

I was initially suspicious that the Labour gloom was expectations management but I now think it's probably genuine.

I wish there more straws in the wind from UKIP. From what I've seen they are hopeful (but kippers always are) not confident.
  • Options
    Thanks for your piece.

I agree with all Alistair except your views that turnout will be less that 37.50% of the electorate

Let's say 50% of LAB general election voters DO abstain and 25% of the remainder also abstain it will still mean approx 27500 will vote. That means a turnout of very close to 39%.

43000-23000/2+20000/5 =27500

70000/100*39.3=27500

But I don't think 50% will actually not vote and a 25% drop in UKIP and CON vote is also probably an overestimate.

Remember Oldham East in January 2011 returned a turnout of 48% & this by election has produced a lot of interest. I see the turnout being 43-46%.
    Opsimath
  • Options

I'm sure there's money to be made betting on unlikely run outs like that happening frequently with Pakistan.
  • Options
    Excellent article AM.

I'm on turnout sub-44.5% with Ladbrokes. It's the only bet I feel confident about in this by-election.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

That was at a period when UKIP were gaining MP defectors , councillors , members and had loads of money . Now they are losing councillors by defection and at by elections , losing members by the thousand and have no monetary donations worth speaking of .
    Talk of UKIP repeating the Heywood and Middleton performance or even bettering it is pure wishful thinking .
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,053

Anorak said:

Anorak said:

I nearly caused a huge clusterfuck a few years.

During the last Parliament I usually on a Saturday night I emailed Mike the polling figures from The Sunday Times.

Normally they use a graph, however after one budget, they put the polling figures in the editorial it was something like Con 34, Lab 38, except I emailed Mike the figures of

Con 43 and Lab 38

Mike had to ring me to confirm it and I was like oops.
    Your mistaken figure was actually a more accurate prediction of the election result than the actual poll itself!
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Welcome to @OPSIMATH
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Benn would be mad to resign for as long as he remains Shadow Foreign Secretary he is Corbyn's most likely successor, if he resigns in a huff he will be seen as disloyal and be replaced by a potential rival
  • Options

That was at a period when UKIP were gaining MP defectors , councillors , members and had loads of money . Now they are losing councillors by defection and at by elections , losing members by the thousand and have no monetary donations worth speaking of .
    Talk of UKIP repeating the Heywood and Middleton performance or even bettering it is pure wishful thinking .
    You wish.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952

Lay the 11/4 then

I don't suppose the voters in Oldham are thinking "I would vote UKIP here... but they haven't had many monetary donations to speak of recently"
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    edited November 2015
    What's apparent amid this Labour ridiculousness is that Corbyn's allies (and possibly JC himself) hate the modern Labour party more than their opponents ever will.

Seamus Milne? I suspect he'd be glad to see the party ripped to bits.

It's sad.

The Kinnock and then the Blair, Brown, Prescott, Cook, Mandelson, Beckett era showed a lot of backbone in crushing the lunatic tendency - only now do I fully respect how ferociously well they saw them off. Sadly, the current generation don't seem to have the gravitas or the collective power to hit back. It's a legacy of the Blairite/Brownite battles - the two sides were too busy fighting one another over spurious policy difference (when the differences were only really ever personal) to notice the rise of the SWP lot.

It's funny what a couple of defeats can do to the psyche. That coupled with the mass retirements of the Blair generation has left a vacuum. Into it have walked the Corbynites, the SWP and Stop the War lot; basically the crazy fuckers.

I'd suggest Labour need Ed Balls and David Miliband back. And those two need build an alliance and crush the leftis against. And not just crush them, but make them go start a new party - a mirror of UKIP.

Otherwise God help the party if this carries on.
  • Options
    Agence France-Presse ‏@AFP 2m2 minutes ago
    #BREAKING Putin says Turkey shot down Russian warplane to protect IS oil trade
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    edited November 2015
    dr_spyn said:

Putin's deliberately baiting the Turks into doing something stupid.
  • Options
    BBC Breaking News ‏@BBCBreaking 48m48 minutes ago
    MPs to debate on Wednesday UK air strikes in Syria, the BBC understands
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,351
    Interesting piece, thank Alistair. I wonder how sound that low turnout figure is. Turnout was oddly good for a safe Labour seat in May (equal the national average at 60%) and there is obviously much more interest this time. Down factors are that it's December and a number of anecdotal reports of people saying they won't vote (but not clear if they voted in May). Also, there was a UKIP claim that postal voting is relatively light. Enough to reduce turnout by over a third? Hmm.

If an enterprising journalist or PBer just rang up the returning officer and asked for the figure of PVs to date, he might get a reply.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

Benn would be mad to resign for as long as he remains Shadow Foreign Secretary he is Corbyn's most likely successor, if he resigns in a huff he will be seen as disloyal and be replaced by a potential rival
    Resignation did not do Harold Wilson much harm.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

It is going to look very strange though when Corbyn opens the debate for Labour, passionately arguing against air strikes, and Benn winds up by urging his colleagues to back them.
  • Options
    watford30 said:

dr_spyn said:

Or he's got some lovely intel he's about to deploy. Russian spooks are very good.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    Anorak said:

watford30 said:

dr_spyn said:

Or he's got some lovely intel he's about to deploy. Russian spooks are very good.
    They're very good at making things up too. Maskirovka.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

BBC Breaking News ‏@BBCBreaking 48m48 minutes ago
    MPs to debate on Wednesday UK air strikes in Syria, the BBC understands

Remind me when the by-election is?
  • Options
    watford30 said:

Anorak said:

watford30 said:

dr_spyn said:

They're very good at making things up too. Maskirovka.
    Also true. The US phone calls they released about Ukraine were pretty bloody funny though.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Putin really is sounding a little bit nuts lately.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

Wilson was Shadow Foreign Secretary when he succeeded Gaitskill as Labour leader like Benn
  • Options
    Fenster said:

What's apparent amid this Labour ridiculousness is that Corbyn's allies (and possibly JC himself) hate the modern Labour party more than their opponents ever will.

It's sad.

The Kinnock and then the Blair, Brown, Prescott, Cook, Mandelson, Beckett era showed a lot of backbone in crushing the lunatic tendency - only now do I fully respect how ferociously well they saw them off. Sadly, the current generation don't seem to have the gravitas or the collective power to hit back. It's a legacy of the Blairite/Brownite battles - the two sides were too busy fighting one another over spurious policy difference (when the differences were only really ever personal) to notice the rise of the SWP lot.

It's funny what a couple of defeats can do to the psyche. That coupled with the mass retirements of the Blair generation has left a vacuum. Into it have walked the Corbynites, the SWP and Stop the War lot; basically the crazy fuckers.

I'd suggest Labour need Ed Balls and David Miliband back. And those two need build an alliance and crush the leftis against. And not just crush them, but make them go start a new party - a mirror of UKIP.

From what I've read, you're right about the first five in your list but Beckett was apparently a careerist happy to go along with the prevailing mood of the party. She was very ambivalent about taking on the left in the early- / mid-80s. Don't be too surprised if she ends up back on the front bench. Indeed, were Benn to resign, she might be his replacement.

I'd agree with you on the rest of the points but I wonder whether there's the heft in the rest of the Labour Party, outside the PLP, to take on the left any more. If, say, Balls were to return, he'd have to immediately set himself up as the king-across-the-sea and act on that: setting up his rival shadow shadow cabinet (as someone put it earlier today), and ignoring the whip as he saw fit. I'm not sure he has it in him to do that; he's too much of a Labour loyalist.

DM, by contrast, won't come back and it might be best if he didn't; he's too out of step with the membership now.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,216
    I think FWIW that Labour will probably hold Oldham, more comfortably than we might assume - a lot of the toing and froing over Syria will pass most voters by - but down on the GE. It will not bode well for the future for Labour but it will be a win and therefore banked by Corbyn et al. Even if some former Labour voters desert Labour, I'm not sure how many will cross over to UKIP rather than stay at home. Plus the Labour candidate seems broadly sensible and not a loon so easy for Labour voters who don't like Corbyn to ignore him and vote for their local man.

It would be more fun if it were otherwise.

OTOH if UKIP do win perhaps the lesson to be learnt is to keep Farage well away. He's been largely invisible in this election. Or is it that we can't see him behind all those Labour MPs stabbing each other in the back?
  • Options
    Anorak said:

watford30 said:

dr_spyn said:

"ISIS is a reality and we have to accept that we cannot eradicate a well-organized and popular establishment such as the Islamic State; therefore I urge my western colleagues to revise their mindset about Islamic political currents, put aside their cynical mentalité and thwart Vladimir Putin's plans to crush Syrian Islamist revolutionaries,” -
    Hakan Fidan, the head of Turkey's National Intelligence Organization, 24 Nov
    http://tinyurl.com/gqzloj9

Turkey openly supports ISIS.

We're going to bomb Turkey then?
  • Options

You'd know about wishful thinking, Mark. How many Lib Dem MPs were you predicting?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

It is going to look very strange though when Corbyn opens the debate for Labour, passionately arguing against air strikes, and Benn winds up by urging his colleagues to back them.
    Maybe but I expect Benn to be pushing the UN mandate line hard
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Fenster said:

It's sad.

What allowed the lunatic tendency back in was Labour struggling in May 2015 to come up with a moderately plausible economic offering to the voters in the age of no money. The lunatic tendency don't do plausible. It's magic money tree all the way. No limits on borrowing and taxing the rich with gusto.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    watford30 said:

dr_spyn said:

His explanation of what happened seems far more likely than any other. No one seemed to doubt the Turks were pretty conflicted about IS until Putin said it and made it a pretty unfashionable opinion.
  • Options
    Mr Fenster at 6.35
    But in this case the stupid leadership (Miliband) and then the stupid MPs gave Corbyn a leg up. He should never have been on the ballot. The purpose of the rule is to offer up candidates that can lead MPs in parliament.
    Now Corbyn has the power to remake the PLP in his own image.

There is a fundamental and deliberate misrepresentation.
    It is not the job of the membership to create policy and tell the 'leadership what to do.
    Its the job of the membership to be led... by the leadership.
    The clue is in the name.

Corbyn can now misuse his position to remove MPs either directly or by the force of the swingometer.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

He's already got it
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,936
    Could anyone work out what on earth Cameron was on about in that Paris speech today ?
  • Options
    On topic, a very good piece from AM. It's always worth running through the numbers.

In this instance, a lot will come down to the postal votes. Can Labour get their vote out there? If so, they should win fairly comfortably. If not - or worse, if there's a decent turnout but a lot of defections - then it'll be mighty tight for them.

Alastair's right to say we have very little hard evidence but there are plenty of straws in the wind to suggest that Labour is very far from confident. This week won't help them either. My guess would be that whatever UKIP's national weaknesses, there'll be a tidal flow to UKIP simply off Labour's ongoing shambles. If I had to set a handicap market, I'd have it starting at Lab to win by 600.
  • Options
    Matthew Harris ‏@hattmarris84
    Nigel Farage tells LBC that he believes UKIP have a 50% chance of winning the Oldham west & Royton by-election on Thursday.

UKIP aren't great at managing expectations, and obviously that comment is more about boosting the vote than predicting it, but still...
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    @Thanks for the response and apols for being wrong on Beckett.

If David Miliband won't come back surely there is enough quality within the PLP ranks to mount a fightback. After all, from where I see it, the argument against the Momentum heavies is pretty easy to win. They have a rubbish rationale; even I seem to be winning all my arguments with them on Twitter. They keep ranting at me about 'old politics' not seeming to realise that old politics is winning politics, ie: putting together a front bench of collective responsibility, fighting together on a cohesive policy platform and persuading enough voters to vote for you...

They don't seem to want to persuade. They are happy just to abuse... in the forlorn fantasy that there are 12 million voters out there across 650 constituencies who are gonna agree with them on GE night.

Bonkers.
  • Options
    watford30 said:

dr_spyn said:

He did that by sending warplanes into Turkish airspace in the first place, especially after Russia 'apologised' for such transgressions before.

There's one funny thing about this though: it looks as though Putin's cancelled the planned 'Turkish Stream' gas pipeline that was due to go through Turkey, and whose deal was only signed earlier this year.

Unfortunately, it was signed because the previous 'South Stream' pipeline that was due to go through Ukraine was cancelled for the obvious reasons.

Given he's been at war with a country the first pipeline passed through, and is nearly at war with one the second passes through, which other countries are going to be brave enough to step forwards and take the next route?
  • Options
    Someone flying a kite?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-34964253

Trans-Pennine Tunnel - story specially released for by election? But how far is the M62 close to maximum capacity. it always seems busy when I have used it recently.
  • Options

Very sneaky. Looks like it used an "I" (eye) instead of "l" (ell) in "Elects".

Twitter should remove them for misrepresentation.

Fat chance. Think of all the traffic generated.
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    Fenster said:

The Kinnock and then the Blair, Brown, Prescott, Cook, Mandelson, Beckett era showed a lot of backbone in crushing the lunatic tendency - only now do I fully respect how ferociously well they saw them off.

But they never crushed them and they never say them off.

Through explusions and intimidation, they did silence them to a great degree. But this itself was at some cost when they were faced with Galloway and Livingston embarrassing them.

However, it was only ever silencing. They never really went away and most of them just stayed schtum and waited their chance to "get their party back".

The assumption that the Notting Hill sect every did anything but take over the leadership is a false one. All they achieved was the same as multiculturalism ever achieved - silence without the underlying opinions ever changing.
  • Options
    edited November 2015

Go on, how much have you laid UKIP for here ?

WIll it better your Brighton prediction ?

As I have mentioned before I have many close connections with Brighton Pavilion and people who live there . The Greens locally are now pretty much universally loathed from their bad running of the council and will lose shedloads of seats next May . Caroline Lucas does seem to have avoided much of the flack attached to the Greens locally but the feeling communicated to me is that she will lose next May .

• Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited November 2015

Matthew Harris ‏@hattmarris84
    Nigel Farage tells LBC that he believes UKIP have a 50% chance of winning the Oldham west & Royton by-election on Thursday.

UKIP aren't great at managing expectations, and obviously that comment is more about boosting the vote than predicting it, but still...

UKIP have a 50/50 chance of winning, though there's only a 10 percent chance of that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDoncJckows
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,351
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

Benn's getting the art of dissent without insult pretty well - he has politely stuck to a distinctive position without a hint of criticism of the leadership. He's always been seen as a centrist (unlike Tony, of course), but he gets the "politics is about civil debate" idea.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Someone flying a kite?

Trans-Pennine Tunnel - story specially released for by election? But how far is the M62 close to maximum capacity. it always seems busy when I have used it recently.

There was a speech by Osborne the other day announcing that the Birmingham - Crewe part of HS2 would be opened 6 years early and that Crewe station would be totally rebuilt.
  • Options
    The noises from the PB intelligentsia about Oldham sound so similar to the comments that were made about the Liberals and SLAB in GE2015.

People just refused to believe that the Liberals could be hurt badly in the SW and that SLAB could be left with less than 15 to 20 seats (with a few exceptions). I think perhaps people are refusing to focus on the noises coming out of the constituencies. Because they have a very familiar ring.

In the SW, the LIberal which were so surely going to hang onto lots of seats lost the lot.

In Scotland, SLAB who were so surely going to hang onto at least a dozen seats probably 20, managed to keep one.

The message is clear on Oldham on Thursday. It will be UKIP. And it will be UKIP by more than 2000 votes.
  • Options
    edited November 2015

Fenster said:

It's sad.

What allowed the lunatic tendency back in was Labour struggling in May 2015 to come up with a moderately plausible economic offering to the voters in the age of no money. The lunatic tendency don't do plausible. It's magic money tree all the way. No limits on borrowing and taxing the rich with gusto.
    The problem went back to the election of Ed as Leader. He was elected, IMO, because he was not associated with Blair and Iraq - and the other plausible candidates were. The Iraq war is a wound that runs deep within Labour. It's like their Suez. Ed was useless at coming up with a plausible economic policy and so the voters turned away, long before May this year.

Labour are still exorcising their Iraq demons and, having tried someone who wasn't in Parliament at the time of the Iraq war and was, therefore, a clean skin, they've now gone to the other end and are now trying someone who was always against it, regardless. They really should have chosen someone who was against it - but for the right reasons e.g. someone like Kenneth Clarke (assuming they had someone like that). As it is, they are now combining economic lunacy with a policy of surrender and appeasement to vicious terrorists. It's not the direction of travel I'd choose......

• Options
    maaarsh said:

watford30 said:

dr_spyn said:

His explanation of what happened seems far more likely than any other. No one seemed to doubt the Turks were pretty conflicted about IS until Putin said it and made it a pretty unfashionable opinion.
    Just like his 'explanations' over South Ossetia, Georgia, Crimea, Ukraine and MH17 ?

It's amazing how many times Russia falls victim to the evil machinations of much smaller countries.
  • Options

Fenster said:

It's sad.

From what I've read, you're right about the first five in your list but Beckett was apparently a careerist happy to go along with the prevailing mood of the party. She was very ambivalent about taking on the left in the early- / mid-80s. Don't be too surprised if she ends up back on the front bench. Indeed, were Benn to resign, she might be his replacement.

I'd agree with you on the rest of the points but I wonder whether there's the heft in the rest of the Labour Party, outside the PLP, to take on the left any more. If, say, Balls were to return, he'd have to immediately set himself up as the king-across-the-sea and act on that: setting up his rival shadow shadow cabinet (as someone put it earlier today), and ignoring the whip as he saw fit. I'm not sure he has it in him to do that; he's too much of a Labour loyalist.

DM, by contrast, won't come back and it might be best if he didn't; he's too out of step with the membership now.
    DM makes Andy Burnham look like Winston Churchill.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,857
    Dair said:

The noises from the PB intelligentsia about Oldham sound so similar to the comments that were made about the Liberals and SLAB in GE2015.

Granted. I just cannot see it happening, particularly given the type of MP they had just voted in, but you are quite right massive shifts can happen.
  • Options

Fenster said:

It's sad.

I'm not sure I fully agree with that because I thought Balls did a good job of keeping his manifesto spending plans within the realms of sanity (and Osborne has since copied some of them....) without McCluskey taking umbrage. Where I think Labour went wrong was in not getting a decent hearing by electing Ed Miliband as leader. They were hamstrung from the outset. The 'Red Ed' and 'Union's Man' stuff stuck, plus the Tories did a very good job of convincing the electorate of the need for austerity/the veracity of their economic superiority (see how Lab failed to capitalise on the lowering of the top rate).

I think the electorate dismissed Ed Miliband as a leader from the off and - again - the left wing of the Labour party is to blame for this. McCluskey and co tried to be clever by putting a placeman in and it blew up in their faces. GE2015 was there for Labour's taking - Miliband proved a turn off to the SNP* and to Middle England and that was that.

*To be fair, the surge of the SNP would've been difficult for any Lab leader to deal with.
  • Options
    Dair said:

Fenster said:

The Kinnock and then the Blair, Brown, Prescott, Cook, Mandelson, Beckett era showed a lot of backbone in crushing the lunatic tendency - only now do I fully respect how ferociously well they saw them off.

Through explusions and intimidation, they did silence them to a great degree. But this itself was at some cost when they were faced with Galloway and Livingston embarrassing them.

However, it was only ever silencing. They never really went away and most of them just stayed schtum and waited their chance to "get their party back".

The assumption that the Notting Hill sect every did anything but take over the leadership is a false one. All they achieved was the same as multiculturalism ever achieved - silence without the underlying opinions ever changing.
    Dair said:

Fenster said:

What's the SNP position on multiculturalism and immigration?
  • Options
    Fenster said:

@Thanks for the response and apols for being wrong on Beckett.

If David Miliband won't come back surely there is enough quality within the PLP ranks to mount a fightback. After all, from where I see it, the argument against the Momentum heavies is pretty easy to win. They have a rubbish rationale; even I seem to be winning all my arguments with them on Twitter. They keep ranting at me about 'old politics' not seeming to realise that old politics is winning politics, ie: putting together a front bench of collective responsibility, fighting together on a cohesive policy platform and persuading enough voters to vote for you...

They don't seem to want to persuade. They are happy just to abuse... in the forlorn fantasy that there are 12 million voters out there across 650 constituencies who are gonna agree with them on GE night.

Bonkers.

I agree it's bonkers but I don't think they see politics the same way as the practical, careerist types. They're crusaders and they're high on the stimulus of their greatest victory and believe that they can repeat it - or if they can't, it's worth the shot anyway.

No worries re Beckett. She came across as a typical New Labour politician, which in the the Blair / Brown era, she was. But if ever there was a weathervane, then she's it.

The problem the PLP have is that they have to mount a fightback against the leadership, NEC and vocal membership, none of whom (except some on the NEC) are interested in listening - as your twitter correspondents show. The PLP don't really have many arguments based on fact that they can deploy. They can point to history or to reasonable expectations but again, as you say, they believe in 'New Politics', so history is worthless to them. Likewise the expectations of people they beat this summer.

I don't honestly see much changing before 2017 at the earliest. By-elections will be written off as 'local anomalies', London (should Zac win) as down to candidates / racist voters, Scotland to the SNP phenomenon predating Corbyn's Labour, Wales to local difficulties - and so on. A second poor set of local results in 2017 might finally convince some of the 'worth a try' Corbynites (NickP - I'm looking at you), that the experiment has failed and it needs to end before permanent damage is done. The problem is that by then, permanent damage might have been done.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited November 2015
    Dair said:

People just refused to believe that the Liberals could be hurt badly in the SW and that SLAB could be left with less than 15 to 20 seats (with a few exceptions). I think perhaps people are refusing to focus on the noises coming out of the constituencies. Because they have a very familiar ring.

In the SW, the LIberal which were so surely going to hang onto lots of seats lost the lot.

In Scotland, SLAB who were so surely going to hang onto at least a dozen seats probably 20, managed to keep one.

The message is clear on Oldham on Thursday. It will be UKIP. And it will be UKIP by more than 2000 votes.

Not me, I correctly predicted that SLAB will be crushed for being too right wing for scotland and Jim Murphy would lose his seat.
    However I got carried away from the LordA polls thinking that the LD might survive in 20-30 seats despite polling only 8%, I thought it would be a repeat of 1931 not 1951.
  • Options
    The percentages at Heywood & Middleton by-election were:

Lab 40.9 (11,633 votes)
    UKIP 38.7 (11,016 votes)

Turnout was 36%.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heywood_and_Middleton_by-election,_2014
  • Options
    C4 News reporting big applause for Hilary Benn at PLP meeting tonight, a muted reception for Corbyn, one MP reported to have said 'Corbyn gave a vacuous student rant, Benn a tour de force, had it been a boxing match it would have been stopped in Round 1'. Margaret Beckett also reportedly said she was concerned about the lack of direction from the leadership and she nominated Corbyn!
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    Has anybody noticed the latest tweets?

https://twitter.com/twcuddleston/status/671281279275540480
  • Options
    edited November 2015

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

Benn's getting the art of dissent without insult pretty well - he has politely stuck to a distinctive position without a hint of criticism of the leadership. He's always been seen as a centrist (unlike Tony, of course), but he gets the "politics is about civil debate" idea.
    I could see myself voting for Hillary Benn. He's reassuring, pleasant and impressive.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

Someone flying a kite?

There was a speech by Osborne the other day announcing that the Birmingham - Crewe part of HS2 would be opened 6 years early and that Crewe station would be totally rebuilt.
    Is that the proposal where the entire Crewe station gets moved a couple of miles south, outside the town? If so, I'm not sure I like it.

As for the Trans-Pennine Tunnel: the article says they haven't even done a CBR analysis. Just reopen the Woodhead railway line to trains and force the drivers onto motorail trains. ;)
  • Options
    Dair said:

That's a very good argument. I think you may well be right.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/J_Bloodworth/status/671405541235818496

Student Gwant...stuff from Corbyn, almost as bad as a Mili fan.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    HYUFD said:

C4 News reporting big applause for Hilary Benn at PLP meeting tonight, a muted reception for Corbyn, one MP reported to have said 'Corbyn gave a vacuous student rant, Benn a tour de force, had it been a boxing match it would have been stopped in Round 1'. Margaret Beckett also reportedly said she was concerned about the lack of direction from the leadership and she nominated Corbyn!

Stop pimping for Benn, he's politically dead no matter how much applause Danzcuk gives him.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Fenster said:

It's sad.

The problem went back to the election of Ed as Leader. He was elected, IMO, because he was not associated with Blair and Iraq - and the other plausible candidates were. The Iraq war is a wound that runs deep within Labour. It's like their Suez. Ed was useless at coming up with a plausible economic policy and so the voters turned away, long before May this year.

Labour are still exorcising their Iraq demons and, having tried someone who wasn't in Parliament at the time of the Iraq war and was, therefore, a clean skin, they've now gone to the other end and are now trying someone who was always against it, regardless. They really should have chosen someone who was against it - but for the right reasons e.g. someone like Kenneth Clarke (assuming they had someone like that). As it is, they are now combining economic lunacy with a policy of surrender and appeasement to vicious terrorists. It's not the direction of travel I'd choose......

Robin Cook would have been ideal, sadly he is no more
  • Options

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

"Without a hint of criticism of the leadership" - you must be listening to different interviews Nick. Benn is very polite but his answers speak volumes about what he thinks of the leadership and none of it is flattering.

• Options

Dair said:

What's the SNP position on multiculturalism and immigration?
    Why would or should I care?
  • Options

"I’ll always be a Milifan. Ed was the best prime minister we never had"

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/may/11/milifan-prime-minister-ed-miliband
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Mortimer said:

He's already got it
    Indeed but that will be his justification
  • Options

The percentages at Heywood & Middleton by-election were:

Lab 40.9 (11,633 votes)
    UKIP 38.7 (11,016 votes)

Turnout was 36%.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heywood_and_Middleton_by-election,_2014

Turnout will be much lower than that.
    This is a rare December by-election just months after the GE.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,983
    First Dr's strike is off - BBC
  • Options

Anorak said:

watford30 said:

dr_spyn said:

"ISIS is a reality and we have to accept that we cannot eradicate a well-organized and popular establishment such as the Islamic State; therefore I urge my western colleagues to revise their mindset about Islamic political currents, put aside their cynical mentalité and thwart Vladimir Putin's plans to crush Syrian Islamist revolutionaries,” -
    Hakan Fidan, the head of Turkey's National Intelligence Organization, 24 Nov
    http://tinyurl.com/gqzloj9

Turkey openly supports ISIS.

We're going to bomb Turkey then?
    Turkey does not openly support ISIS. US planes are using Turkish bases to fly missions against ISIS. ISIS were behind a recent suicide bombing in the Turkish town of Suruc.

Turkey is openly fighting a war against its own separatists.
This discussion has been closed.