Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The good people of Oldham West could also be electing a fut

13»

Comments

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    dr_spyn said:

Ladbrokes Politics ‏@LadPolitics 1m1 minute ago
    Based on Ladbrokes' latest odds, here is our prediction for next week's Oldham West & Royton by-election.

43% Lab, 36% UKIP, 14% Con, 6% LDs.

Conservatives need to vote tactically.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Sean_F said:

dr_spyn said:

Based on Ladbrokes' latest odds, here is our prediction for next week's Oldham West & Royton by-election.

For Labour.

To keep Corbyn in !
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    I'd be sorely tempted to vote tactically if I lived there. What's the Kipper PPC like out of curiosity?
    Sean_F said:

dr_spyn said:

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898

Sandpit said:

watford30 said:
    You have to give the government huge credit for running with this. They've identified an issue, confirmed it with academic research and plan to address the problem despite quite vocal criticism from within the NHS itself.

Does anyone who isn't an NHS employee think it's a bad idea that healthcare should be available on any day when it's required?
    These day-of-week effects are common overseas: it is not an NHS-specific problem. From the report linked, it is not clear that staffing is the problem, although it might be, or that it is confined to weekends: why are Tuesdays good and Thursdays bad, for instance? It is not clear what Jeremy Hunt's attempts to screw over junior hospital doctors will do to help.

Politics aside, it is only recently that medicine has started to use science and statistics to identify and solve problems.
    I agree that there have been huge strides made in medicine in recent years by data and analysis.

There was one very good study I read where they brought in outsiders from other industries which were further advanced in incident management, such as air accident investigators. Contrary to the name they investigate not just major accidents but even quite minor incidents - with the hope of improving systems, training and equipment such that the major accident is prevented. Also cultural changes to processes, such as anyone present having the right to be listened to when pointing out a safety issue.

Unfortunately for the NHS, the massive political football is what needs to be deflated. No other country has this huge politics of healthcare that is seen in the UK. Only when we can get rid of that (way easier said than done given the starting point) will things be able to improve.
  • Options

I'd be sorely tempted to vote tactically if I lived there. What's the Kipper PPC like out of curiosity?

Sean_F said:

dr_spyn said:

John Bickley is very competent.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Sean_F said:

dr_spyn said:

For Labour.

To keep Corbyn in !
    I think that for the good of the body politic, we need Corbyn out.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Oh, you spoil sport! If we had two Kipper MPs we could have splits in another Party too!
    Pulpstar said:

Sean_F said:

dr_spyn said:

For Labour.

To keep Corbyn in !
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474

watford30 said:

Alistair said:

Sandpit said:

watford30 said:
    You have to give the government huge credit for running with this. They've identified an issue, confirmed it with academic research and plan to address the problem despite quite vocal criticism from within the NHS itself.

Does anyone who isn't an NHS employee think it's a bad idea that healthcare should be available on any day when it's required?
    A fully staffed 7 day NHS would be lovely.

I do not think you can achieve a fully staffed 7 day NHS on the cheap.
    We're pouring money in by the bucket load. Even Gordon Brown said they'd had enough.

There are plenty of places where the NHS can find cost savings. Decent management could implement them.
    Sir Humphrey would take that as an invitation to hire more managers. It would be interesting to know how much management costs have changed following various initiatives from the internal market onwards.

Be wary of politicians asking the wrong questions. Someone will pop up soon with a report showing that green bandages are more expensive than yellow ones, and demand a switch. No-one will ask if they work better, and if so for what conditions and by how much?
    Cull management numbers. Stop staff retiring at 50 on frankly over generous pension terms, and don't rehire those that have left at ridiculous rates. And lock Doctors into working for the training they've received. If they want to bugger off for more cash elsewhere, they should be required to compensate the taxpayer.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Sandpit said:

watford30 said:

LondonBob said:

RobD said:

So yesterday we were told the plane was warned ten times in 5 minutes to leave Turkey's airspace, but now apparently the plane was only in Turkish airspace for 17 seconds. I suppose they could have been warning while approaching it, but still that is not what the earlier reports said.

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/why-did-turkey-attack-a-russian-plane/
    I wouldn't even believe that claim, clear premeditated ambush that was ordered at the highest level. Seems to be beyond the wit of our government to criticise Turkey despite their flooding of Europe with refugees, support for Islamic State etc. Whose payroll are they on, isn't it supposed to be ours?
    https://www.rt.com/news/323369-turkey-downed-russian-jet/

Good news is the other pilot was rescued by Russian special forces and the SAA.
    So Turkey forced the Russian pilots over the border?

This was only premeditated in the fact it was bound to happen. Russia had apologised for violating Turkish airspace in the past, yet appear to have done little to stop it happening again. They knew that Turkey had shot down two Syrian planes for doing the same thing.

If you want to look for premeditation in this, you might want to look towards Russia as well as Turkey. Either they wanted this to happen, or their pilots were incompetent fools.

As for Turkey's 'flooding of Europe with refugees': you do know what Turkey's been doing for four years to house about two million refugees? If they really wanted to 'flood' the EU, they'd have done a much better job of it before now.
    Turn the tables, and ask what would Russia have done, if a foreign airforce had made repeated violations of it's airspace over a number of weeks, and failed to respond when intercepted? They'd shoot.

The Vlads have been deliberately flying close to the UK's region of interest, and those of other NATO countries over the last year, in order to gauge the QRA response.

I'm surprised the Turks didn't react sooner.
    One assumes that someone high up the Turkish chain of command decided that Russia had been given enough warnings about encroachment. Let's hope the diplomats on both sides can smooth things over before the military decides to escalate the conflict.

Every week or two for the last few months the QRA Typhoons have been scrambled to watch the Russians fly as close as they dare to UK airspace, so they obviously enjoy these games projecting their strength for others to see - until Turkey called their bluff yesterday.
    I understand Russia had previously been warned what would happen if they encroached on Turkey again. They chose to ignore the warning and the rest is now history.
  • Options
    @stephenkb: Something to think about re: Oldham. "Shoot to kill" happened the day that postal votes went out.
  • Options
    Well we are on politicalbetting.com, not politicalbestforthecountry.com :P
  • Options
    KippleKipple Posts: 17

HS2 is meant to be coming in to Curzon street, right?

There's a great big lump of empty prime real estate waiting for it. And, in the longer term, there is no reason that a Birmingham shouldn't have a Kings Cross/St Pancras style integrated city hub (with or without HS2).
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Peston talking cobblers, in his own inimitably irritating way, on the BBC.
  • Options
    watford30 said:

watford30 said:

Alistair said:

Sandpit said:

watford30 said:

We're pouring money in by the bucket load. Even Gordon Brown said they'd had enough.

There are plenty of places where the NHS can find cost savings. Decent management could implement them.
    Sir Humphrey would take that as an invitation to hire more managers. It would be interesting to know how much management costs have changed following various initiatives from the internal market onwards.

Be wary of politicians asking the wrong questions. Someone will pop up soon with a report showing that green bandages are more expensive than yellow ones, and demand a switch. No-one will ask if they work better, and if so for what conditions and by how much?
    Cull management numbers. Stop staff retiring at 50 on frankly over generous pension terms, and don't rehire those that have left at ridiculous rates. And lock Doctors into working for the training they've received. If they want to bugger off for more cash elsewhere, they should be required to compensate the taxpayer.
    This thing about medical students needing to repay their training (and the vast majority will work for the NHS in any case) -- does it also apply to other students? Should TSE and Antifrank be required to do a couple of years at the local CAB? Should geography and history graduates have to work as schoolteachers for a stretch?
  • Options

Sean_F said:

dr_spyn said:

Funny how the term PPC still survives in the collective consciousness even though it's been redundant for (I think) 16 years now - and would be unnecessary in this case anyway as the election's already underway.
  • Options
    I suspect most Tory oldham voters will vote Tory, there will be a squeeze at the margins that will benefit UKIP a tad.
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    Sean_F said:

dr_spyn said:

You mean they will be looking at the barcharts on the LibDem pamplets and voting for the best challengers to Labour? Wow! 20% vote for the LibDems - off to walk the dog before I fall about laughing.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    BBC claiming Osborne will spend £35bn on debt interest this year. Well, he's up to £29.7bn in October.

BBC is unfit for purpose.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    Judge on Tim Yeo: “unreliable”, “not honest”,”dishonest”, “untruthful”, “untrue” and “unworthy of belief”.

When is he joining the 'Remain' campaign?
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

I'm intrigued to know how they calculate the one from the other.

If that is the outcome, Labour's looking at a majority of not all that much more than a thousand.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

BBC claiming Osborne will spend £35bn on debt interest this year. Well, he's up to £29.7bn in October.

BBC is unfit for purpose.

£53bn surely?
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469

watford30 said:

Alistair said:

Sandpit said:

watford30 said:

Everyone keeps saying this - good managers would sort this all out. Where are they to come from? In my experience in industry and public sector, good managers are few and far between. There's plenty of people who fancy themselves as a manager but being any good at it is another matter.
    Too many promoted by the Peter Principle - raised to the level of their incompetence. Training is required, unfortunately learning on the job is the norm and cheapest option.
  • Options
    edited November 2015

dr_spyn said:

If that is the outcome, Labour's looking at a majority of not all that much more than a thousand.
    Add a 30% turnout to the mix on a cold, dark and wet December day. Shadsy's 1/8 on Lab is looking very stingy indeed.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474

watford30 said:

watford30 said:

Alistair said:

Sandpit said:

watford30 said:

This thing about medical students needing to repay their training (and the vast majority will work for the NHS in any case) -- does it also apply to other students? Should TSE and Antifrank be required to do a couple of years at the local CAB? Should geography and history graduates have to work as schoolteachers for a stretch?
    Have TSE and Antifrank received £250,000 worth of training paid for by the taxpayer?
  • Options

Oh, you spoil sport! If we had two Kipper MPs we could have splits in another Party too!

Pulpstar said:

Sean_F said:

dr_spyn said:

For Labour.

To keep Corbyn in !
    They already have enough splits with one MP.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

They're just giving the over/under lines. You can't usually calculate % of vote from betting odds (though you can generate a rough expectation of margin of victory, especially in two-horse races).
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2015
    chestnut said:

When is he buggering off to ITV, so he can talk more cobblers on a more regular basis?
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    Interesting, if Mr McMahon was a technician at the university of Manchester I might have come across him. Governors tend to do better than Senators in US elections. Perhaps local government leaders would be a better place for Labour to be looking for the next generation rather than spads.

One person who's not much been talked about is John Cryer, chair of the PLP. He's a proper leftie but you wonder how long he's going to survive. I expect they'll elect someone more in line with PLP sentiment re the leadership in the new year and the same perhaps with the parliamentary committee. MPs are not entirely powerless within the party after all.
  • Options

chestnut said:

When is he buggering off to ITV, so he can talk more cobblers on a more regular basis?
    This is his last BBC outing.
  • Options
    O/T - re: the Union debate, 80% of students at a university like Oxford being in favour of Remain within the EU seems unremarkable to me.

Didn't they also pass a motion saying This House would refuse to fight for King & Country in the 1930s?

It would be interesting to know what the split was for UK students eligible to vote. I imagine something like 70:30 to Remain. Bit better, but not decisive.
  • Options
    This is so funny:

Kate McCann ‏@KateEMcCann 12m12 minutes ago
    John McDonnell has decided he doesn't want to live in Number 11 when he becomes chancellor... ahem: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/12015911/John-McDonnell-wouldnt-live-in-Number-11-if-he-was-
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

... and I think I live in Ladywood which is meant to be the poorest bit ...

Ladywood? sounds like a bar in Thailand where Sean T would hang out ;-)
  • Options
    Floater said:

... and I think I live in Ladywood which is meant to be the poorest bit ...

Ladywood? sounds like a bar in Thailand where Sean T would hang out ;-)
    Isn't that Ladygarden?
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

new thread

This discussion has been closed.