Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The GOP nomination race: Unless the mainstream politicians

123457»

Comments

• Options

#OpParis: Anonymous takes down 5,500 ISIS Twitter accounts
    https://t.co/kU2SfScrkS https://t.co/Aefw20pE8n

5,500 fewer sources for MI5.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    Dair said:

Pro_Rata said:

Dair said:

One of the great myths about Britain today is that our island nation status somehow prevents the country being successfully infiltrated on a large scale.

Dair, are you talking in the abstract here? To me, the lack of English Channel refugee boat sinkings and the concentration on Calais indicated that our weak point, such as it was, were the various trains and especially lorries using that point of entry. Also, although illegal migration through Calais does come with a fatality rate, I'm not sure how that compares with the fatality rate one would expect from clandestine boat crossings, which I would imagine to be higher. I guess the lack of boat crossings may be reflective of a somewhat lower risk / reward balance for get out of France compared with, for instance, getting out of Libya.

The only figures I have been able to gauge are that Libya -> Italy boat journeys during 2015 have carried in the ball park of a 1.5-2% fatality risk to the individual per successful crossing.
    My point was that the UK does not have effective control of its maritime borders. It's not even close and it's not even funny, given the claims made by the UK Government. The situation is so bad that the Scottish Government now has a superior patrol capability to the Royal Navy.
    Don't get too excited. Scrap the nukes as the SNP would like, and they're gone too, since they mostly exist to secure the areas around Faslane.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,784

I wouldn't be surprised if Anonymous proved a very effective enemy to ISIS.

And if they have the Twitter accounts, then I they probably have some of the password used by ISIS people. And I bet you that some of those people reused passwords between accounts.

We might well see the private communications of ISIS leaders exposed.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Well, folks, I decided to grow up. I will miss the antifrank name though - it's a part of my history.

I'm shocked. Really shocked. Antifrank is a part of the bedrock of the site.
    And a shibboleth. TSE explained its derivation some time ago, so we could have used it to identify which commenters actually read pb threads.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,306
    Taking on anonymous in a cyber war is 'brave'.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,805
    rcs1000 said:

And if they have the Twitter accounts, then I they probably have some of the password used by ISIS people. And I bet you that some of those people reused passwords between accounts.

If Anonymous have done it, so will one of the worldwide security services. As such, anything Anonymous will do with such hacks is hinder, not help, the international effort against ISIS.

If ISIS are sensible (and sadly there is little evidence they are not), then they will be using other systems anyway for the really secretive stuff.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,677
    watford30 said:

viewcode said:

There is a picture of what David Cameron wrote in the book of condolences at the French Ambassador's residence. I found it oddly touching. You can find it here: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/11/17/11/2E8697FA00000578-3320764-image-m-5_1447758910732.jpg

"...The people of the United Kingdom stand with the French people in shock, sadness and grief. We fly the Tricolor as a symbol of solidarity, because we know our shared values - liberte, egalite, fraternite - will triumph over the evil found in Paris last week. Nous sommes solidaires avec vous. Nous sommes tous ensemble. David Cameron, November 2015..."

Nice message, terrible handwriting! Does that really say "solidaires"?

Makes me feel better about mine (the missus says I should have been a GP not a lawyer!)
    Gordon Brown would have filled the entire book with marker pen scribble.
    I miss Gordon Brown's cheery little innocent face.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/8035905.stm
  • Options
    I'd imagine a lot of Labour supporters in Oldham are contemplating a vote for UKIP as a means to get rid of Corbyn. I would certainly be voting UKIP if I lived in the constituency. Labour needs continuous and humiliating defeat for as long as he and his mates are in charge. It is the only way to save the party.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

Scott_P said:

@jonwalker121: Ian Austin condemns people who say UK foreign policy has "increased, not diminished" threat to UK - he's quoting Corbyn's planned Sat speech

He does? Iraq, Libya, Syria? Does anyone actually think that it hasn't increased it? I'm genuinely baffled.
    Exactly. I don't understand why some people can't understand the difference between saying "terrorist attacks are justified" and "we increased the risk of terrorist attacks".

It's like someone who when they go on holiday, leaving the door unlocked and a huge neon sign outside the house saying "we're away for the next two weeks". Doing that wouldn't justify someone then breaking into your house, it would still obviously be a wrong and criminal action, but nonetheless the homeowner would have to take some responsibility for increasing the risk of it happening.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

new thread

• Options

New Thread New Thread

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

I'd imagine a lot of Labour supporters in Oldham are contemplating a vote for UKIP as a means to get rid of Corbyn. I would certainly be voting UKIP if I lived in the constituency. Labour needs continuous and humiliating defeat for as long as he and his mates are in charge. It is the only way to save the party.

Well said. The country needs a decent opposition.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 5,018
    Dair said:

Pro_Rata said:

Dair said:

One of the great myths about Britain today is that our island nation status somehow prevents the country being successfully infiltrated on a large scale.

Dair, are you talking in the abstract here? To me, the lack of English Channel refugee boat sinkings and the concentration on Calais indicated that our weak point, such as it was, were the various trains and especially lorries using that point of entry. Also, although illegal migration through Calais does come with a fatality rate, I'm not sure how that compares with the fatality rate one would expect from clandestine boat crossings, which I would imagine to be higher. I guess the lack of boat crossings may be reflective of a somewhat lower risk / reward balance for get out of France compared with, for instance, getting out of Libya.

The only figures I have been able to gauge are that Libya -> Italy boat journeys during 2015 have carried in the ball park of a 1.5-2% fatality risk to the individual per successful crossing.
    My point was that the UK does not have effective control of its maritime borders. It's not even close and it's not even funny, given the claims made by the UK Government. The situation is so bad that the Scottish Government now has a superior patrol capability to the Royal Navy.

We are spending fortunes on pointless Aircraft Carriers with no aircraft, hugely expensive and pointless Type 45s and a unproven concept in Global Combat Ships.

Meanwhile the entire coast of the UK has armed protection from a grand total of THREE offshore patrol vessels.
    To bring it back onto the topic, what large scale infiltration might you envision, how likely is it and how much bolstering of offshore patrols would realistically prevent it?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,784

rcs1000 said:

If Anonymous have done it, so will one of the worldwide security services. As such, anything Anonymous will do with such hacks is hinder, not help, the international effort against ISIS.

If ISIS are sensible (and sadly there is little evidence they are not), then they will be using other systems anyway for the really secretive stuff.
    Yes, I'd agree with that. But with a caveat: I think Anonymous has done a better job of discovering technical exploits in systems. It's amazing how good they - and the rest of the black hat community - are at sniffing out buffer overlflows.

Further, Anonymous will probably do a very good job of disrupting ISIS communications, and will help mask actions by the security services.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,677
    rcs1000 said:

May be apocryphal, but I heard that MI5 messed with a Jihadi bomb-making site and replaced it with the recipe for cup-cakes.

I love the idea of some sick feckers going for their daily fix of beheadings and instead finding just Cats versus Cucumbers or such-like.

(.....Oh, if you insist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc0mi0Ei1CQ )
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,523

I hadn't thought of it that way before. Not sure how many of the voters will think of it like that, but some will for sure. Will Tories vote Labour, though?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    tlg86 said:

I hadn't thought of it that way before. Not sure how many of the voters will think of it like that, but some will for sure. Will Tories vote Labour, though?
    Not in a place like Oldham. Tories would vote Labour in an intellectual / academic constituency like Sheffield Hallam, Cambridge, Oxford West, etc.
  • Options

Anecdotal I know, but I wouldn't be too sure about an Oldham defeat being fatal for Corbyn. I was speaking to a Corbynite friend the other day (yes, I do have one), and his comment on the possibility of defeat there was "funny things happen in by-elections".

That analysis might well be a delusion upon many other delusions but if typical then Oldham could easily be wafted away as an aberration. MPs might take a different view but they still won't move until the party can be relied on not to make the same mistake again.

Meacher left a 15,000 vote majority (or 34% if you prefer)
    I'm well aware of that. IIRC, only once since WWII has an opposition lost such a large majority and share lead (Glasgow Govan, 1988). Bermondsey in 1983 had a larger percentage lead but a smaller majority, I think.

It'd still be dismissed by Corbynites with limited knowledge - hence the comment about "funny things". Funny things do indeed happen at by-elections, but not by chance.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Yes, I'd agree with that. But with a caveat: I think Anonymous has done a better job of discovering technical exploits in systems. It's amazing how good they - and the rest of the black hat community - are at sniffing out buffer overlflows.

Further, Anonymous will probably do a very good job of disrupting ISIS communications, and will help mask actions by the security services.
    Aye, that's probably right.

I've always wondered if Thompson and Ritchie regret / regretted the way they made C handle strings and arrays. It's brilliant if you want fast, efficient systems (as the early computers they were using required). Less good if you want security.

(Although I know this is only one of many attack vectors, it is an important one).

Hmmm. I think I'll just use srtrcat() to append this string. It's okay, the code will never make its way out of the building ... ;)
  • Options
    edited November 2015

rcs1000 said:

(snip)

May be apocryphal, but I heard that MI5 messed with a Jihadi bomb-making site and replaced it with the recipe for cup-cakes.

I love the idea of some sick feckers going for their daily fix of beheadings and instead finding just Cats versus Cucumbers or such-like.

(.....Oh, if you insist:

(snip) )
    ISTR there was a case a few years ago where the intelligence services intercepted the delivery of ingredients for bomb-making being delivered to a group, and replaced it with something virtually identical but harmless. They therefore caught them with completed, nearly-viable bombs that were harmless.

edit: this was the case:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6153884.stm

Not quite as I remembered, but nearly...
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,557

Married couple who planned terror attack in London were arrested after asking for advice on Twitter about where to target, court hears.

Our billions are well spent then, when we have genuises like this against us.
  • Options

The police shoot dead those who threaten lives already - what a load of nonsense this is.

Scott_P said:

@BBCNormanS: The police need to be able to use lethal force to stop terrorists says @ChrisLeslieMP

Yes and from past experience, usually the wrong people.
  • Options

You’re not as attractive now that the air of mystique has been stripped bare… :lol:

Did you drop the H there intentionally
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,630

How did you change your username? I have tried to update mine but it is greyed out.
    You have to apply to the site authorities, who can do it for you. I hesitate to start an avalanche of requests, so they aren't overwhelmed. I would guess that they would want to avoid having to do lots of frivolous name changes.
    A shame, as my username is sh*t.
This discussion has been closed.