Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The GOP nomination race: Unless the mainstream politicians

Comments

• Options
    The last remaining die-hards hoping that Corbyn is going to present himself as the champion of the squaddies would be funny if it wasn't so pathetic.

This is the guy who's press sec basically thinks all members of the British army are war criminals.
  • Options

Edited extra bit: Mr. L, if Corbyn goes on Defence a couple of days after saying he opposes shoot to kill should we suffer a Mumbai/Paris style attack he'll get bloody slaughtered, and rightly so.

You'd think so but he might ask the PM to confirm that, with the obvious exception of an immediate threat to life, there is no shoot to kill policy on British streets.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Jonathan said:

Corbyn is bad at politics.

The PLP are worse...
  • Options
    Jeremy Corbyn today is as much of a leader of the Labour Party as Henry VI was of England in the 1450s.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

What if Corbyn starts with "Mary from Sandhurst wants to know why the army troop numbers were cut from 120,000 to 84,000 ? She further adds that her husband received his P45 two days after he returned from Afghanistan"

There is nothing he can say to discomfit Cameron and the Tories. His friends are apologists for mass slaughter in Paris, London and anywhere else anti-Western terrorists choose to murder.

• Options

These are Corbyn's friends, the people whose Xmas party he is attending:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:UGy6WqTARkAJ:stopwar.org.uk/index.php/news/paris-reaps-the-whirlwind-of-western-support-for-extremist-violence-in-the-middle-east+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

This is what Nick and his mates voted to associate Labour with when they voted for Corbyn.

This is why I will never vote Labour while Corbyn and his crew run Labour. And it's why millions of others won't consider it either.

I hope and pray Labour loses in Oldham. Constant and humiliating defeat is what it needs and deserves until members develop the intelligence to see what they are doing to a party they profess to care about. They have abandoned the British mainstream. They are contemptible.

I'm glad you've come out. When are you going to join the Tories?

• Options
    My God the lag is cruel. It's 4.00 am in Washington DC and I've had three hours sleep. I want to go home :-(
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    edited November 2015
    Jonathan said:

It is not just what he says, but the way he says it.

I have a feeling we could have a new leader by February with a splinter leaving the Labour Party.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    If you missed the Nick Cohen piece, well worth 5 mins of your time - this point made me stop and think.
    According to my colleague Shiraz Maher, there are now more British Muslims fighting for Islamic State than serving in the British Army. According to the government's Prevent programme, more than 30 per cent of people convicted for al-Qaeda-associated terrorist offences in the UK between 1999 and 2009 attended university or a higher education institution.
    http://www.standpointmag.com/node/5886/full
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    antifrank said:

How do the £3 Tories feel today?

How about the £3 Greens?

I suspect that their sympathies are still reasonably similar to Corbyn's.

The Green Party and the Labour Party under Corbynism are barely distinguishable - but Greens are running both of them.
  • Options
    Mr. 63, a half hour video won't get many views. Don't suppose there's a condensed version?

I agree entirely on Defence spending (all last Parliament I said it should've been ring-fenced). The problem is the choice is between a disappointing approach which should be reversed immediately, and a totally ****ing insane approach which cannot be allowed.

Miss Plato, no wonder they keep getting attacked by dinosaurs.

Mr. L, obvious exception? Can't be that obvious as Corbyn never raised it during his interview, he just said he opposes shoot to kill.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,751
    edited November 2015

Jeremy Corbyn today is as much of a leader of the Labour Party as Henry VI was of England in the 1450s.

I was thinking slightly earlier.

Jeremy Corbyn as Richard II and Hilary Benn as Henry Bolingbroke
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Sky reporting that 1.5kg of TNT hidden in luggage, brought the Russian plane down.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

My God the lag is cruel. It's 4.00 am in Washington DC and I've had three hours sleep. I want to go home :-(

And, you flew West. Try flying East.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    surbiton said:

Jonathan said:

I have a feeling we could have a new leader by February with a splinter leaving the Labour Party.
    I'm sure that's a scenario plenty would like but how would it be funded?

Either way it's great news for us OUTERs, those who want IN are busy being sidetracked.

• Options
    On topic in 2012 it was really easy.

Lay the loon, now it appears they are loonies.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,955
    Surbiton

"Benn is also playing a game. Those who think he is not interested in the top job must think again. Benn is almost inviting to be sacked. "

It doesn't really matter. Those like you and me who wished Corbyn well and who didn't see any reason why a real left winger or even a pacifist couldn't succeed have been proved wrong.

Benn saying "I can't answer for Jeremy." is not a leadership challenge as much as a statement of the obvious. If Jeremy's policies and those of his party coincide it's a fluke so what could Benn say?

This is an experiment that has failed. I can't see him being leader for very much longer though how this is going to be engineered I have no idea.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

I was in Japan this time last week!!

• Options
    antifrank said:

I told them not to do it. They weren't so much stirring the hornets' nest they were more sticking their todgers in and trying to dry hump the hornets' nest.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Jonathan said:

Let us hope and pray that is the case. The country needs a credible opposition. The Tories do not deserve the free ride Corbyn Labour automatically delivers them.

• Options

Mr. 63, a half hour video won't get many views. Don't suppose there's a condensed version?

I agree entirely on Defence spending (all last Parliament I said it should've been ring-fenced). The problem is the choice is between a disappointing approach which should be reversed immediately, and a totally ****ing insane approach which cannot be allowed.

Miss Plato, no wonder they keep getting attacked by dinosaurs.

Mr. L, obvious exception? Can't be that obvious as Corbyn never raised it during his interview, he just said he opposes shoot to kill.

Fair point Mr Dancer, 30 mins is a bit long. I've a nagging feeling that even if it was 3 minutes few would watch it, people don't like confronting themselves.

I'll continue to be a thorn in the side of the obsequious tories and point how ineffective Cameron is, despite their attitude of:

"We won the election, what do you know?"

• Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    antifrank said:

I wasn't one as I wouldn't give the Labour party the time of day let alone £3 but I guess they should feel fine. It was the overwhelming majority of traditional Labour party members who elected Corbyn - the likes of NPXMP. And it is for them to deal with the consequences.
  • Options
    Roger said:

I can't see him being leader for very much longer

Corbyn is safe then.

The PLP will do nothing.

Again.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    DavidL said:

kle4 said:

antifrank said:

Prime Minister's Questions tomorrow are going to be a blood sport, surely?

Corbyn and co can bat back any direct attack as playing politics with a tragedy. Plenty will support that.
    I agree - the tone for pbtories and i'd hope at PMQs is not glee in any form at Labour's position but a mix of sadness and fury.
    It will be very straightforward for Cameron to point out that the first duty of the Government is to protect its own people. That there is a clear and present danger that what happened in Paris could happen in a UK city. That the existence of ISIL as a quasi state with a base from which to plan such attacks is a threat to the citizens of this country and that we will be backing the French resolution and that he will be recommending British participation in any approved action to the House. Will the LOTO support such a recommendation?
    If the whole of the Parliamentary Labour Party meeting last night couldn't get an answer from Corbyn to these questions, don't expect any reply at PMQs.

Simon Danczuk apparently railed that Corbyn hadn't answered a single question put to him at the meeting. Labour MPs must be wondering whether Corbyn has total contempt for them, or is just too thick to answer.
  • Options
    Jeremy Corbyn is said to be a nice man. The other day he lingered on his own away from the cameras, to watch and pay respects to veterans marching through London. He is sincere and refuses to play the game. Who else would go on ITV, on one of its most popular shows, and discuss his hobby when it is looking at drain covers?

None of that changes the reality today. He has to go before he does any more damage. Labour MPs have a patriotic duty to remove him, or to start a new, sensible opposition party if the ‎Unions and Corbynistas cannot be persuaded to see sense and persuade him to stand aside soon.
    http://www.capx.co/dear-labour-mps-please-remove-jeremy-corbyn-now/
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    edited November 2015

surbiton said:

Jonathan said:

Either way it's great news for us OUTERs, those who want IN are busy being sidetracked.

Where would the activists and the 'party structure' go? I expect that the majority of the activist would be on the left-most side of the split.

Would be messy and gift the tories the next election for sure.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Dear Mr Corbyn, please take a look at the police shield here from Paris

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/11999927/Paris-France-terror-attacks-isil-Belgium-Molenbeek-suspects-Syria-Raqqa-bombing-live.html

(Scroll down to 03:55)

Then look us in the eye and repeat your pathetic and moronic statements from yesterday.

Thank you.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Good morning all.

I wonder where that name came from? ;)
    https://twitter.com/Independent/status/666324179722117120
  • Options
    chestnut said:

antifrank said:

How about the £3 Greens?

I suspect that their sympathies are still reasonably similar to Corbyn's.

The Green Party and the Labour Party under Corbynism are barely distinguishable - but Greens are running both of them.
    During the GE campaign I spent a fair bit of time with a Green PPC, he was indistinguishable from Corbyn in virtually every respect, at some hustings he evoked roars of laughter with his crackpot statements. Obviously at that time nobody had heard of Corbyn, and nobody is laughing now.

• Options

The tories have already won the next election. The only question is how many votes Corbyn sheds
  • Options
    edited November 2015

surbiton said:

I was in Japan this time last week!!

Worst jet-lag of my business life* was Tokyo. You have my sympathy.

(*New Zealand would probably have been worse, if I hadn't been out the front of the boat, whale-watching. Not really an option in Japan. You'd be in the way of the harpoon...)
  • Options
    Mr. K, people were complaining the nickname of Jezbollah wasn't used?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,044

antifrank said:

I told them not to do it. They weren't so much stirring the hornets' nest they were more sticking their todgers in and trying to dry hump the hornets' nest.
    Don't blame me, I voted for Kendall :P
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

The tories have already won the next election. The only question is how many votes Corbyn sheds
    Hubris old bean.

Sion Simon had thought Labour had already won the next election back in 2007.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Hubris old bean.

Now I've seen it all, TSE guarding against hubris.

• Options

Yes. He was an idiot of brobdingnagian proportions
  • Options
    Jonathan

"Corbyn is bad at politics."

Obviously but he does seem like a decent human being which makes you wonder why so many of the attacks are personal.
  • Options
    Mr. Roger, there's nothing decent about refusing to use lethal force to take down terrorists.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Dan Hodges faces up to reality:

"David Cameron is right. Jeremy Corbyn is indeed a threat to our nation’s security. And whilst he remains leader, so is the Labour Party."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/Jeremy_Corbyn/11998631/Jeremy-Corbyn-must-pick-his-side-in-the-war-on-terror.html

I'm afraid this is what it has come to. And unless the PLP discover a backbone the situation for Labour could become terminal. So that's it really.

Yes, this has all happened a lot quicker than I thought.

I forsaw a drip, drip, drip effect and Labour edging slowly towards electoral oblivion.

They seem to want to dive head first into that particular hole.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

You must be joking TSE. Richard II, was crafty and politician to his elbows; he was also personally brave and only his dalliance with a male lover and the way he treated the queen hastened his downfall. Henry Bolingbroke (later Henry IV) was a scrapper that revenged himself on Richard after being exiled from England.

Hilary Benn is a wimp and a winkle compared with the above. And there is nothing comparable to our Jezza.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Hubris old bean.

Now I've seen it all, TSE guarding against hubris.

I always guard against hubris and complacency.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,260
    Roger said:

Jonathan

"Corbyn is bad at politics."

Obviously but he does seem like a decent human being which makes you wonder why so many of the attacks are personal.

Many politicians are both decent and flawed. Corbyn wants a better, peaceful world - and that is decent and admirable. He is flawed because he is not willing to accept that wanting such a world does not count for much when you are facing a threat from people who feel otherwise.

I'd say the same about Cameron - he's a decent sort of chap, but also flawed in various ways.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    felix said:

antifrank said:

I wasn't one as I wouldn't give the Labour party the time of day let alone £3 but I guess they should feel fine. It was the overwhelming majority of traditional Labour party members who elected Corbyn - the likes of NPXMP. And it is for them to deal with the consequences.
    Indeed. This has precious little to do with the Tories.

This is about a set of motivated, further left voters signing up in an orchestrated campaign to re-take the Labour Party from the soft-left/centre.

These people still form the membership.

When we read Stop The War's 'reap the whirlwind' tweets, and the many social media observations that sympathise with the notions that it's all the west's fault and Tony Blair is to blame etc, then why should we imagine that there is any real change of heart within the new membership that installed Corbyn?

Corbyn and co had made all their comments about Hamas, Hezbollah, the IRA, 7/7 etc prior to being elected. Why would anyone expect them to talk differently now? Corbyn is simply being what he was before he was elected.
  • Options
    Corbyn and Bennett will write strongly worded letters to ISIS, and urge them to reduce their fossil fuel usage within the caliphate. Tea and biscuits on Jezza's allotment will shortly follow.
  • Options
    I think I must be in a minority on here re Corbyn's latest stupidity - it's just more of the same predictable posturing.

I find McIRA positively repellent and dangerously smooth. Jezza is just a Grade A numpty in comparison.
    Floater said:

DavidL said:

Dan Hodges faces up to reality:

"David Cameron is right. Jeremy Corbyn is indeed a threat to our nation’s security. And whilst he remains leader, so is the Labour Party."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/Jeremy_Corbyn/11998631/Jeremy-Corbyn-must-pick-his-side-in-the-war-on-terror.html

I'm afraid this is what it has come to. And unless the PLP discover a backbone the situation for Labour could become terminal. So that's it really.

Yes, this has all happened a lot quicker than I thought.

I forsaw a drip, drip, drip effect and Labour edging slowly towards electoral oblivion.

They seem to want to dive head first into that particular hole.
  • Options

I do not see where this idea of Hilary Benn the political genius has come from. I suppose however Labour need someone who can just walk and chew gum at the same time right now.
  • Options
    Question for the tories:

Cameron has found £2bn for some spooks, any idea which dept this will be taken from or is he just adding it to the deficit/debt?
  • Options
    surbiton said:

What if Corbyn starts with "Mary from Sandhurst wants to know why the army troop numbers were cut from 120,000 to 84,000 ? She further adds that her husband received his P45 two days after he returned from Afghanistan"

Troll:

I know you are not very bright but you could - at least - check you starting numbers. Infact getting the current numbers may be a challenge according to your post.

:2020-vision:
  • Options

I do not see where this idea of Hilary Benn the political genius has come from. I suppose however Labour need someone who can just walk and chew gum at the same time right now.
    He isn't. But its all relative...
  • Options

Question for the tories:

Cameron has found £2bn for some spooks, any idea which dept this will be taken from or is he just adding it to the deficit/debt?

Government contingency fund that is included in every budget.
  • Options

@DPJHodges: Start buying shares in Hillary Benn.

@iainmartin1: @DPJHodges Yes. Did strike me that he might have been about to resign live on air today.

Except, he didn't. And won't.

Apart from that...
  • Options

surbiton said:

Jonathan said:

You know, I'm not so sure. I think that the events of Paris may allow European politicians to break away from the mindless mantras of the Eurocrats about the sacred nature of open borders to the European Project.

When this finally shakes out, it may be that some of the worst excesses of the Schengen system - and the fears of many about unrestricted access into Europe and the subsequent ability of those to travel unhindered within the EU's borders - will have fallen away. An EU that takes the security of its borders - and the borders of its member nations - more seriously will be a less troubling beast for many currently torn between STAY and LEAVE.

For everyone saying We Are Paris, colouring their Facebook avatar with the Tricoleur, singing the Marseillaise at the match tonight - they are not giving up on the EU just yet.
  • Options

Question for the tories:

Really - how big is this contingency fund?

• Options
    chestnut said:

Tony Blair is to blame etc

Well ultimately it probably was Paul Cambon's fault. But we have to deal with the world as it is now - Tony isn't in charge now :D
  • Options
    I've found the perfect solution for Corbyn and the PLP. The PLP sends Corbyn to discuss peace with ISIS in Syria.
  • Options
    It's a strange world when many of us think EdM is great in comparison.

He isn't. But its all relative...
  • Options
    is there a bigger twanker than polly toynbee?

almost as if she lives for a few positive responses to justify her pieces?
  • Options
    @JournoStephen: .@alexmassie captures Labour's nightmare perfectly https://t.co/Obmw8YElNJ https://t.co/8Q9zsNOGiE

And the answer? With him all the way to inevitable crushing defeat. Again.
  • Options

Question for the tories:

Aka magic money tree when Labour is in office.
  • Options

surbiton said:

Jonathan said:

You know, I'm not so sure. I think that the events of Paris may allow European politicians to break away from the mindless mantras of the Eurocrats about the sacred nature of open borders to the European Project.

When this finally shakes out, it may be that some of the worst excesses of the Schengen system - and the fears of many about unrestricted access into Europe and the subsequent ability of those to travel unhindered within the EU's borders - will have fallen away. An EU that takes the security of its borders - and the borders of its member nations - more seriously will be a less troubling beast for many currently torn between STAY and LEAVE.

For everyone saying We Are Paris, colouring their Facebook avatar with the Tricoleur, singing the Marseillaise at the match tonight - they are not giving up on the EU just yet.
    MM, Cameron's last resort of why we should stay was security, the events of friday ended that.

• Options

Scott_P said:

Hubris old bean.

Citation?
  • Options
    edited November 2015

I've found the perfect solution for Corbyn and the PLP. The PLP sends Corbyn to discuss peace with ISIS in Syria.

Jez should head to Beirut, and deliver a speech about peace talks with IS to his ... friends in Hezbollah. I'm sure they'll see his point of view and welcome such a move.
  • Options

If you missed the Nick Cohen piece, well worth 5 mins of your time - this point made me stop and think.

According to my colleague Shiraz Maher, there are now more British Muslims fighting for Islamic State than serving in the British Army. According to the government's Prevent programme, more than 30 per cent of people convicted for al-Qaeda-associated terrorist offences in the UK between 1999 and 2009 attended university or a higher education institution.
    http://www.standpointmag.com/node/5886/full

This would give a British born only strength to ISIS of over 83000. In reality the CIA say isis might have 30,000 fighters in total. Russia put it at double that. Bear in mind they conscript from the area they hold.
  • Options
    Eagle

"Jeremy Corbyn as Richard II and Hilary Benn as Henry Bolingbroke "

Maybe. One of Shakespere's better double entendres

“I hate the murderer, love him murdered.”
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

Question for the tories:

"The total cash supply expenditure authorised for 2010-11 was £488,865,599,000 (2009-10; £518,147,119,000) and accordingly the maximum capital, excluding the permanent capital, available to the Contingencies Fund at any one time in 2011-12 was £9,775,811,980 (2010-11; £10,361,442,380)."
  • Options
    @ZoraSuleman: President Putin has offered a $50million reward to catch those who planted the bomb onboard the passenger jet which came down in Egypt
  • Options
    Remember when Fraser Nelson and others accused Osborne of stoking up inflation

UK inflation as measured by the Consumer Prices Index remained at -0.1% in October, figures show
  • Options
    If free movement of people is ever going to end in the EU, now's the time in fairness. Slim chance still though.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Sounds like Benn is basically saying we should just ignore what his leader says...

norman smith ✔ @BBCNormanS
    "It was right to take the action..no immediate prospect of him being arrested" - @hilarybennmp supports drone strike killing of Jihadi John

PoliticsHome ✔ @politicshome
    "There was no prospect of going into the middle of Raqqa to arrest him [Jihadi John]" says Hilary Benn #R4Today

norman smith ✔ @BBCNormanS
    "I am clear when immediate threat to life it is perfectly reasonable to use lethal force" - @hilarybennmp @BBCr4today

James Tapsfield ‏@JamesTapsfield 1m1 minute ago
    Benn refuses to say he will stay on as shadow foreign sec if a Corbyn goes to Stop The War event next month #today

We'll need more popcorn folks.
    Why would he resign if Corbyn attended a Stop the war event? If Corbyn's apparently well known and unchanging views on foreign affairs were a deal breaker surely Benn should not have joined his shadow cabinet in the first place. Corbyn is allowed to attend these things isn't he?
    Perhaps because of the crass views expressed in the pulled stop the war opinion piece about Paris - which just so happened to have similar views to those that Jeremy was going to make in a speech.

Cameron was right he is a danger to our national security, even more than I could have thought.
  • Options
    vaguely on the thread topic: do any of the republican contenders believe a) evolution ; b) climate change? i.e. can any of them said to be "mainstream" at all?
  • Options
    I'm losing track, of the PBreds just who is still left on board the good ship Team Jezza?

Ironically it's an ex PLP man and then....??
  • Options

I'm losing track, of the PBreds just who is still left on board the good ship Team Jezza?

Ironically it's an ex PLP man and then....??

On him for the money :)
  • Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    edited November 2015

Spreadsheet-Phil created a £14-billion 'contingency/whiteboard' fund a few years ago. "Protector" [10+ new Predators] are being bought (as well as those River-II boats to employ the folk in Clydeside).

£2-billion to SF over the next five-years (Blackhawks replacing Puma?) will take a chunk. MPA will be fun; not. And then we have to discuss FRES-UV (or whatever it is called now).

Good news is HMS Treasury taking control of "Successor": Biggest mistake was HMG giving control up in SDSR-2010. Hopefully the funding can be buried outside of Defence (and recorded as a political decision). Trident is cheap: Subs from Barrow-in-Furness are not (especially if we need to write-off Successor costs and redesign Astute+ with Core-3 nuclear propulsion). :(

EDIT: £14-billion 'white-board' occurs up-until 2023 (IIRC). Prior to English GDP growth and 2% commitment.
  • Options
    Anorak said:
    PB Tories' reaction when Labour elected Corbyn (same reaction when the exit poll came out too)

http://youtu.be/TwLp4GJeVl0
  • Options
    Mr. Dugarbandier, some of us have legitimate doubts about climate change, given the falsification of evidence and the repeatedly errant predictions of the theory's proponents.

Mr. Floater, some say Corbyn's been possessed by the Mr. Bean outfit he's wearing.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@ZoraSuleman: President Putin has offered a $50million reward to catch those who planted the bomb onboard the passenger jet which came down in Egypt

I presume in order to claim their reward said individuals must be taken alive, so like Jezza, Putin can have a stern chat with them?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,412
    edited November 2015
    @alexmassie 25 secs26 seconds ago
    Incidentally, I hope those Tories who paid their £3 to vote for Corbyn are feeling pretty stupid now. They should be ashamed.
  • Options

antifrank said:

Prime Minister's Questions tomorrow are going to be a blood sport, surely?

Problem is Corbyn HAS to gow with ISIS or Syria, if he starts asking questions from Maureen in King's Lynn about the NHS he's a laughing stock.
    There is scope for Corbyn there: welcome additional spending and contrast it with recent defence cuts; welcome Osborne's commitment to cybersecurity and so on but ask why Chancellor is usurping the appropriate Secretaries of State; perhaps even a question about the magic money tree.
    The problem is he's already posted links for 'input' for PMQs, so is he going with other peoples questions, or ones of his own?

And Corbyn wanting more spending on defence?? Good luck with getting that one to fly.
    The point is that Corbyn can make mischief by exploiting defence cuts under Cameron.
    We have an affordable and realistic defence budget. Our defence budget is the 5th biggest in the world. America are planning some $75bn defence cuts.
    Labour massively overcommitted the defence budget with projects for which there was no money.
  • Options
    @paulwaugh: Commons Order Paper has what could be an interesting written ministerial statement on Syria. https://t.co/ZtpCWI3GFl
  • Options
    In lighter news:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/34836397/leeds-pub-garden-floods-men-go-for-pint-anyway

Quote:
    ""I stood and shouted at the water but it didn't seem to do much ..."
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

Question for the tories:

Or

Cameron won't fund xyz for our safety
  • Options

In lighter news:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/34836397/leeds-pub-garden-floods-men-go-for-pint-anyway

Quote:

Makes you proud to be a Yorkshireman doesn't it?
  • Options

Scott_P said:

I presume in order to claim their reward said individuals must be taken alive, so like Jezza, Putin can have a stern chat with them?
    They'll enjoy a comfortable life in a luxury appartment flatsharing with Snowden in Moscow. Putin will stick to the deal as he'll want to be seen as trustworthy to give info to in the future.

I expect Putin will make whoever squeals watch their co-conspirators be put to death though (If possible)
  • Options

Mr. Dugarbandier, some of us have legitimate doubts about climate change, given the falsification of evidence and the repeatedly errant predictions of the theory's proponents.

nevertheless, it is still a mainstream political position to be in favour of ameliorating man made climate change across most of the world, in left wing and right wing govts alike (as far as I know).

How about evolution? Any of the reps. prepared to go with that?
  • Options

In lighter news:

Quote:

what a pair of cnuts
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

If free movement of people is ever going to end in the EU, now's the time in fairness. Slim chance still though.

It's not people so much as arms that are the problem, from the Balkans and often via Belgium, apparently.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,038
    edited November 2015
    Mr. Dugarbandier, that's rather good.

Mr. Eagles, when I were a lad, we had to swim t'pub. And that's if we were lucky!

Edited extra bit: we used to dream of having a kayak.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865

Question for the tories:

No, its a magic money Bonsai tree in comparison to the Labour Sequoia sempervirens
    :lol:

Nice try though.......
  • Options
    @benatipsosmori shows the public are even less worried by the cuts than they were three years ago #ccnconf
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Moses_ said:

Question for the tories:

No, its a magic money Bonsai tree in comparison to the Labour Sequoia sempervirens
    :lol:

Nice try though.......
    Giant Redwood?

John (Redwood) won't be pleased to be a Labour Money Tree
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,288

surbiton said:

Jonathan said:

I think it's worth remembering that our experience with borders is very different to most Europeans. Even before Schengen, back in the early 1980s, when my parents would take us to Italy or wherever you could drive from the UK to Rome or Berlin, and the only passport check would be at Calais. (And sometimes there wasn't even one there.)

And I this was been the case for most of the post World War 2 period. This wasn't a push by Eurocrats: this was a recognition that many European countries are small and securing long borders without significant geographical obstacles is extremely expensive. (Essentially, it is always possible for a determined person to cross the border by digging a tunnel in a field. Border crossings, then, inconvenience the innocent, while doing little to prevent the criminal.)

And because there were no real restrictions on the flow of people between the various European states, was that the economies around the borders of Luxebourg, Belgium, France, Italy etc. are very integrated. You local supermarket could be supplied by a warehouse across the border.

For this reason, I would be extremely surprised if there was a wholesale reintroduction of border controls. It would be economically expensive, with little practical benefit.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,255
    Scott_P said:

DavidL said:

unless the PLP discover a backbone

I think I see a small problem with this plan...
    The PLP couldn't take the skin off a rice pudding.

• Options

Mr. Dugarbandier, that's rather good.

Mr. Eagles, when I were a lad, we had to swim t'pub. And that's if we were lucky!

Edited extra bit: we used to dream of having a kayak.

When I were a lad, my mother banned me from pubs.

She viewed alcohol in the same way Lady Whiteadder did.
  • Options
    Off-topic:

Lot of rotary activity in Sarf' Luhnduhn. Maybe expending the hours on those Pumas we need to replace...?
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    edited November 2015
    Scott_P said:

@DPJHodges: Start buying shares in Hillary Benn.

@iainmartin1: @DPJHodges Yes. Did strike me that he might have been about to resign live on air today.

Except, he didn't. And won't.

Apart from that...
    Dissenting Labour members and MP's will talk the talk, but none of them have the balls to walk the walk.

They'll keep fooling themselves that Tweeting is 'doing something', and all go down with the ship.
  • Options
    MM

"When this finally shakes out, it may be that some of the worst excesses of the Schengen system - and the fears of many about unrestricted access into Europe and the subsequent ability of those to travel unhindered within the EU's borders - will have fallen away. An EU that takes the security of its borders - and the borders of its member nations - more seriously will be a less troubling beast for many currently torn between STAY and LEAVE."

I don't really understand this idea of secure borders from a security point of view. Possibly keeping track on people working illegally but anyone with a passport can get into (almost) any country in the world and stay for a reasonable length of time legally. Only very few passports won't get you into the UK for a visit and we're not members of Shengen
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    edited November 2015
    rcs1000 said:

I think it's worth remembering that our experience with borders is very different to most Europeans. Even before Schengen, back in the early 1980s, when my parents would take us to Italy or wherever you could drive from the UK to Rome or Berlin, and the only passport check would be at Calais. (And sometimes there wasn't even one there.)

And I this was been the case for most of the post World War 2 period. This wasn't a push by Eurocrats: this was a recognition that many European countries are small and securing long borders without significant geographical obstacles is extremely expensive. (Essentially, it is always possible for a determined person to cross the border by digging a tunnel in a field. Border crossings, then, inconvenience the innocent, while doing little to prevent the criminal.)

And because there were no real restrictions on the flow of people between the various European states, was that the economies around the borders of Luxebourg, Belgium, France, Italy etc. are very integrated. You local supermarket could be supplied by a warehouse across the border.

For this reason, I would be extremely surprised if there was a wholesale reintroduction of border controls. It would be economically expensive, with little practical benefit.

Most British people don't appreciate how convenient border-free travel is when you are surrounded by land borders. I expect that what will eventually shake out of the current crisis is a careful manning of specific external borders to the EU/Schengen zone on a shared basis - the opposite of what many Leavers expect/hope for.
This discussion has been closed.