Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Sunday Trading vote: Dave/Osbo’s problem is not the SNP

SystemSystem Posts: 11,727
edited November 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Sunday Trading vote: Dave/Osbo’s problem is not the SNP but the rebellion on the issue by 20 of its MPs

Aside from the EU a developing story at Westminster is the decision by the SNP to vote against the planned changes on Sunday trading that Osborne announced in the budget for England and Wales. In Scotland this is a devolved matter with decisions being made at Holyrood.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    First - oh and Cameron paving way for benefits retreat:

https://mobile.twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/664068695157702657
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    not first.
  • Options
    On topic, I find myself in two minds on Sunday trading.

On the one hand it's annoying that shops are rarely open for more than a few hours on Sunday. On the other hand it's a totally different day - a relaxed family day - and I'd hate to see it become a second Saturday.
  • Options
    Still, it shows what utter hypocrites the SNP are. You could not ask for a clearer example of a measure which doesn't affect Scotland one jot.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''First - oh and Cameron paving way for benefits retreat:''

The deep tory divisions on Europe are there for anybody who wants to look today.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,040
    "Other markets" for the yellow peril money pruchase.

Are more than a few hundred die hards going to get up on a cold december morning to head out and put an x in a no hoper Lib Dem candidates box is the question you need to ask yourself.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    I mentioned this on the previous thread, it should be no business of govt when shops open, if customers want to buy things traders should be allowed to sell them.

I take the point re SNP and Tory rebels, this says more about the type of person representing the tories than the deliberately contrary Nats
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,684

Still, it shows what utter hypocrites the SNP are. You could not ask for a clearer example of a measure which doesn't affect Scotland one jot.

I can't but take it as further evidence that they're enjoying getting their feet under the Westminster table. Which is as predicted and good news imo.
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176

Moreover, Sunday trading is allowed in Scotland!

I was surprised earlier this year on my first visit in many years to find the "24 hour" hypermarkets really do open 24/7 and none of this 10-4pm Sunday nonsense we have to endure in England.

If it's good enough for the Scots, why not the rest of us?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    It's one of those issues that doesn't fit neatly into party categories. Free marketeers say pooh, what's the problem. Serious church people say no, Sunday is special. Labour people get lobbied by USDAW about protection for shopworkers, and see little reason to support liberalisation. The big firms want it as they are currently undercut by small traders. The small traders dislike it for the same reason. The general public would quite like more shopping time but don't feel strongly.

If it happened, I don't think it would ever be reversed. But it's quite likely to be defeated as the people who care strongly about it are mostly opposed.
  • Options

I was surprised earlier this year on my first visit in many years to find the "24 hour" hypermarkets really do open 24/7 and none of this 10-4pm Sunday nonsense we have to endure in England.

Am I reading this right? The Scots have 24 hour Sunday trading but objected to England having it?
  • Options

I hope Cameron can irritate them further: how about legalising fox-hunting on a Sunday whilst wearing a kilt and sporran?
  • Options

Am I reading this right? The Scots have 24 hour Sunday trading but objected to England having it?

Yep. Staggering, isn't it?

Of course the SNP are just trouble-makers, they don't actually care a jot about the issue. It's not even a proposal for Sunday trading as such, but to allow local decision-making on Sunday trading. You have to admire their cynicism in pretending to oppose that! Thank goodness we don't have a minority government in thrall to them - we are very lucky they can only throw this kind of cynical stunt on those few issues where Labour and a few Tory rebels agree.

Having said that, though, I wonder if Labour MPs will be solidly against?
  • Options
    Mr 63

I am sure I heard on the radio this morning that SNP opposed it because it would depress Scottish wages. If they already have Sunday opening how that tally up?

Confused
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474

Yes.

Still, playing silly games makes them look like amateurs, rather than the serious politicians they claim to be, when sober. They're not very bright.
  • Options

Yup. There has never been a restriction on general Sunday opening under Scottish law - ever. I believe there was a law against barbers, curiously, trading on Sundays.

It is unlawful in Scotland to force workers to work on Sundays, but that's a different matter - if a shop can get its staff to work, it can open.

So this is even more of a constitutional outrage than it first appears.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,222
    The Scots should build a 24 hour hyper market on the border near Carlisle to encourage shoppers south of the border to shop in Scotland...
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193

On the one hand it's annoying that shops are rarely open for more than a few hours on Sunday. On the other hand it's a totally different day - a relaxed family day - and I'd hate to see it become a second Saturday.

Same here.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    tlg86 said:

The Scots should build a 24 hour hyper market on the border near Carlisle to encourage shoppers south of the border to shop in Scotland...

You've never been to Gretna Outlet Village then...
  • Options
    I don't often say this, but poor show by the SNP on their proposed Sunday trading stance.

The hunting bill opposition can be understood on one level but this is totally outside any justification with Scottish laws as they are !
  • Options
    I'm sure the SNP think they're being very clever. I'm not sure that they are. I doubt that Scots who notice this particular stunt will think too highly of them for it. Most Scots don't want the English to be annoyed with them.

It won't matter particularly in the short term for the SNP, but they're spending their capital on political penny sweets when they should be saving it up for Michelin three star meals.
  • Options
    Williamz said:

Mr 63

I am sure I heard on the radio this morning that SNP opposed it because it would depress Scottish wages. If they already have Sunday opening how that tally up?

Confused

I assume the argument is that if Tesco etc started opening 24/7 across the whole of England and Scotland, as opposed to just in Scotland where they can bribe their staff enough to come into work given the law against compelling Sunday working, then the absence of such a law in England would mean Tesco paying (presumably) its English employees less and forcing them to work which would in turn lead to pressure to bring Scottish wages into line with England.

Might not be that, but that's the only logical rationale I can come up with!

Still stinks though, and is pure politics.
  • Options
    Iain Martin has an interesting article arguing things might be getting a little trickier for the SNP, faced as they are with the difficult choices of government.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I don't often say this, but poor show by the SNP on their proposed Sunday trading stance.

The hunting bill opposition can be understood on one level but this is totally outside any justification with Scottish laws as they are !

The issue here is that if Cameron can't command the support of his own MPs then tough shit.

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    antifrank said:

It won't matter particularly in the short term for the SNP, but they're spending their capital on political penny sweets when they should be saving it up for Michelin three star meals.

But the SNP think these are free hits. Look at the polls, they cry.

When the bank of political capital does eventually run dry, the crash will have painful echoes of RBS for many...
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    taffys said:

Iain Martin has an interesting article arguing things might be getting a little trickier for the SNP, faced as they are with the difficult choices of government.

Fannying about with this is classic Nat distraction.

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,222
    Scott_P said:

tlg86 said:

Surprisingly, no I haven't! Can 16 year olds get married there too?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,144

Quite agree; as one who for many years worked Saturdays because that was the custom and practice, I find it irritating that people who have Saturday off complainimng about limited time to shop!
    Anyway, why aren’t banks, building socieries, insurance companies etc open on Sundays?
    And public services such as Local Authority and Government offices. I don’t thaink that I can phone the Inland Revenue and get an answer at a weekend can I?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Scott_P said:

tlg86 said:

Surprisingly, no I haven't! Can 16 year olds get married there too?
    Yes, do you have a particular girl in mind?
  • Options
    OGH "This wasn’t in the Conservative manifesto and soundings should have been taken in the party before Osborne made his announcement in the budget. "
    When does that budget become omnishambles budget2?
  • Options
    I hope an aeroplane delivering dirty needles to an incinerator crashes onto Angus Robertson tonight.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

The issue here is that if Cameron can't command the support of his own MPs then tough shit.

I have some sympathy with that, in Cameron's own words the Queen was "purring" when they voted to stay in the Union.

Just another example of poor judgement by Cameron, he's reaping what he sowed.

• Options

Yup. There has never been a restriction on general Sunday opening under Scottish law - ever. I believe there was a law against barbers, curiously, trading on Sundays.

It is unlawful in Scotland to force workers to work on Sundays, but that's a different matter - if a shop can get its staff to work, it can open.

So this is even more of a constitutional outrage than it first appears.
    It is so bizarre, you wonder if they have walked slap bang into a trap....
  • Options
    FWIW, I think the Sunday trading reform as currently framed is a bad one - it's a recipe for confusion if shops in, say, Manchester City and Bury can open all day on Sunday but only for 6 hours next door in Salford and Trafford - if you live locally you might get used to it and take your business to stores you know are open, but if you're visiting from elsewhere it could be a bit of a faff having to find out.

There should be a general deregulation across England - I hadn't realised until just now how barmy the proposal was!
  • Options

Correct.
    As I understand it stores in Scotland can open for unrestricted hours.
    The Asda Govan Superstore is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The SNP attitude is ludicrous.
    Plus we have the usual sanctimonious Tory suspects, what a bunch of numpties.
  • Options
    Sunday Trading Lawzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Options
    Personally I'd allow one Sunday a month to have extended trading hours, with a special allowance for December
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,127
    I'm in favour of people being open if they want to be, it's not as though being open will force people to go to places on Sunday rather than go to church, or spend time with their families or other odd activities, but it's a silly, inconsequential thing to be losing a vote over.
  • Options
    Nick Palmer sums it up well. There's probably a majority in the country for this deregulation but those who care about the current restrictions care passionately. (My mother, as a devout churchgoer, will no doubt be cheering on the Tory rebels about this).

That observation is true of much red tape and protectionism. Vocal and motivated minorities can usually defeat quiet majorities.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,543
    edited November 2015
    FPT

Cyclefree said:
    » show previous quotes
    I'm not saying that purely contributory system is necessarily desirable. I was just trying to understand whether this is fundamentally an EU issue or as much an issue with the structure of our benefits system. I do think that a government should be able to prioritise its own citizens over those of others.

It seems to me to be at the heart of what it means to be a nation state.

Being British means something more than simply living in the British Isles.

But that is a very fundamental difference with the whole thrust of the EU which is to eliminate those distinctions.

My main concern with this is that if we do permit discrimination on the grounds of nationality in one area how do we prevent the eurozone discriminating against us on the same basis in areas such as financial services, where the consequences of such discrimination could be very damaging indeed?

I said:
    I think the answer to that is in paragraph 58 of the case that is referred to in the article that Lucy helpfully linked to:
    "As the Court has held on numerous occasions, the status of citizen of the Union is destined to be the fundamental status of nationals of the Member States, enabling those among such nationals who find themselves in the same situation to enjoy within the scope ratione materiae of the FEU Treaty the same treatment in law irrespective of their nationality, subject to such exceptions as are expressly provided for in that regard (judgments in Grzelczyk, C‑184/99, EU:C:2001:458, paragraph 31; D’Hoop, C‑224/98, EU:C:2002:432, paragraph 28; and N., EU:C:2013:9725, paragraph 27)."

In short we are all equal except to the extent that the Treaties say otherwise. As we have a veto on Treaty change we can stop a change along the lines that you are suggesting. (If we remain in the EU of course, outside in the EEA we would have no right to veto any such change).
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,159
    edited November 2015

Anyway, why aren’t banks, building socieries, insurance companies etc open on Sundays?
    And public services such as Local Authority and Government offices. I don’t thaink that I can phone the Inland Revenue and get an answer at a weekend can I?

Because they're either government monopolies or highly regulated oligopolies that do what's convenient for their management rather than what's convenient for their customers.
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656

Yes, the Scottish nationals really have shown their complete lack of any principles here. The government should publicise this extremely loudly. The Scots seem to want it every way: depending on the UK for economic support, having devolution, and wielding power over the English at the same time.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,728
    edited November 2015

Quite agree; as one who for many years worked Saturdays because that was the custom and practice, I find it irritating that people who have Saturday off complainimng about limited time to shop!
    My local Barclays Bank branch in Manchester is open on Sundays
  • Options

Correct.
    The Asda Govan Superstore is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The SNP attitude is ludicrous.
    You can't fiddle with the constitution just because the governing party is facing a rebellion of its own MPs.
  • Options
    I guess the SNP can cause some trouble with 55 MPs, more than some other parties ;p.
  • Options

Ask them in Scotland what it is like. They are open 24 hours on Sunday. The Asda in Belfast is only open 1pm to 6pm. Is life better in Belfast?
    Equally travel to Dublin. Tesco superstores there are open 6 to midnight
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    I work every Sunday and always have.

That said I still think it's nice to have a day that feels different to the rest of the week (for other people)
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Where the SNP may have been quite clever is in picking a justification, workers wages, that may well resonate with a number of people south of the border. Whilst the concern is framed as the impact on Scottish workers' wages, it flags an issue for those down south that a Tory Government deregulating on Sunday trading is never going to countenance - a provision bringing in some sort of wage guarantee or an equivalent "non compulsion" provision which has presumably enabled Scots workers to demand a premium for Sunday working.

So some folk in England might well think "Good on the SNP, protecting workers wages, good old socialists..."
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,728
    edited November 2015

Where the SNP may have been quite clever is in picking a justification, workers wages, that may well resonate with a number of people south of the border. Whilst the concern is framed as the impact on Scottish workers' wages, it flags an issue for those down south that a Tory Government deregulating on Sunday trading is never going to countenance - a provision bringing in some sort of wage guarantee or an equivalent "non compulsion" provision which has presumably enabled Scots workers to demand a premium for Sunday working.

So some folk in England might well think "Good on the SNP, protecting workers wages, good old socialists..."

After campaigning in a marginal in England earlier on this year, I can categorically state English voters view the SNP with suspicion.

The SNP could offer every English voter a free unicorn, a bar of gold and a night with George Clooney or Emma Stone, and the English voter would still be suspicious of the SNP.
  • Options
    Helmut Schmidt has died.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

I think we should all take a moment and be grateful that Scottish devolution killed the SNP stone dead...

• Options
    Sky News Newsdesk ‏@SkyNewsBreak 51s52 seconds ago
    German media reports former West German chancellor Helmut Schmidt has died at the age of 96
  • Options

I think we should all take a moment and be grateful that Scottish devolution killed the SNP stone dead...

Yes, and admire the clarity and coherence of Blair's devolution arrangement.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    First creeks in the secondary by-election markets - Over/under changes to Evens/8-11 from 5-6 the pair.
  • Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-34778271

23 minutes ago

A public spending watchdog has announced it will review the Scottish government's decision to award £150,000 to the organisers of T in the Park.
    The controversial decision attracted criticism from opposition MSPs, but the government said the money was to help the festival with relocation costs.
    Audit Scotland said it would examine the grant as part of a wider review.

Scottish Labour's Business Manager James Kelly said there was an "urgent need for greater scrutiny" of government spending.

"People across Scotland will find it difficult to understand why a festival headlined by millionaires needed £150,000 worth of taxpayers' cash", he said.
  • Options

Ask them in Scotland what it is like. They are open 24 hours on Sunday. The Asda in Belfast is only open 1pm to 6pm. Is life better in Belfast?
    Was amazed on my first Saturday in Stuttgart in the mid 80s to find all the shops closing around 12:00.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,255
    DavidL said:

FPT

Cyclefree said:
    » show previous quotes
    I'm not saying that purely contributory system is necessarily desirable. I was just trying to understand whether this is fundamentally an EU issue or as much an issue with the structure of our benefits system. I do think that a government should be able to prioritise its own citizens over those of others.

But that is a very fundamental difference with the whole thrust of the EU which is to eliminate those distinctions.

My main concern with this is that if we do permit discrimination on the grounds of nationality in one area how do we prevent the eurozone discriminating against us on the same basis in areas such as financial services, where the consequences of such discrimination could be very damaging indeed?

I said:
    I think the answer to that is in paragraph 58 of the case that is referred to in the article that Lucy helpfully linked to:
    "As the Court has held on numerous occasions, the status of citizen of the Union is destined to be the fundamental status of nationals of the Member States, enabling those among such nationals who find themselves in the same situation to enjoy within the scope ratione materiae of the FEU Treaty the same treatment in law irrespective of their nationality, subject to such exceptions as are expressly provided for in that regard (judgments in Grzelczyk, C‑184/99, EU:C:2001:458, paragraph 31; D’Hoop, C‑224/98, EU:C:2002:432, paragraph 28; and N., EU:C:2013:9725, paragraph 27)."

In short we are all equal except to the extent that the Treaties say otherwise. As we have a veto on Treaty change we can stop a change along the lines that you are suggesting. (If we remain in the EU of course, outside in the EEA we would have no right to veto any such change).

Thank you.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

First creeks in the secondary by-election markets - Over/under changes to Evens/8-11 from 5-6 the pair.

I went for the under at 5/6. It still looks like value to me at 8/11.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,543
    The supermarkets in Dundee are open 24/7 every day of the year except Christmas day and New Years day. In recent years opening hours have been somewhat limited on boxing day too. Needless to say these restrictions cause panic buying of bread every year.

Each Christmas we go to the Metrocentre for a family outing doing some shopping, plenty of eating etc. The fact that you cannot buy goods until 11 on a Sunday is extremely irritating, not least because I am usually itching to get away by mid afternoon to get back home. In the early years you were not allowed in the Centre at all. Now you are, you can try things on, queue up etc but the tills cannot be used until 11. Most, almost all stores therefore have their staff in about an hour earlier but cannot sell anything. It is just stupid.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,739

After campaigning in a marginal in England earlier on this year, I can categorically state English voters view the SNP with suspicion.

The SNP could offer every English voter a free unicorn, a bar of gold and a night with George Clooney or Emma Stone, and the English voter would still be suspicious of the SNP.
    In fairness, given the adage that if it seems to good to be true it probably is - I would view anyone offering that with immense suspicion!
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Pulpstar said:

I couldn't resist betting against the yellow peril too.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

antifrank said:

Pulpstar said:

I couldn't find that bet.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Pulpstar said:

antifrank said:

Pulpstar said:

"Other markets" - 3rd tab.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

antifrank said:

Pulpstar said:

antifrank said:

Pulpstar said:

"Other markets" - 3rd tab.
    After the cunning distraction tab of 'Irish Politics'.
  • Options
    Do as I say, not as I do...Hattie offering job below the Living Wage...

http://order-order.com/2015/11/10/hattie-does-her-bit-for-deficit-reduction/
  • Options
    DavidL said:

FPT

Cyclefree said:
    » show previous quotes

I said:

Red herring. Outside of the EU but in the EEA most of these rules would not apply to us anyway. And those that did through the single market legislation would be subject to the existing EEA members' veto which you tried to pretend did not exist.
  • Options
    I can't understand the fuss about Sunday trading, TBH, and don't much care.

I'm amazed at how much shopping people are doing all the time. Where can they possibly put it all? What do they want it for? Look at the numbers of people in clothes shops, for instance. And yet when you walk the streets so many people are so appallingly dressed looking as if (a) they haven't bought new clothes in years; and/or (b) as if they got dressed in the dark or, in some cases, as if they fell into their wardrobes with glue on their bodies.

They could do with mirrors, in some cases, rear view ones.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited November 2015
  • Options
    A very unimpressed Daniel Hannan - who's fisked the renegotiation demands - and unsurprisingly recommends we vote to Leave:

http://blogs.new.spectator.co.uk/2015/11/david-cameron-will-secure-all-of-his-eu-reforms-because-they-will-alter-nothing/

I think he's spot on.
  • Options

Was amazed on my first Saturday in Stuttgart in the mid 80s to find all the shops closing around 12:00.
    I can remember half day closing on Wedneaday in the uk and late night opening on Thursdays .
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,875
    DavidL said:

The supermarkets in Dundee are open 24/7 every day of the year except Christmas day and New Years day. In recent years opening hours have been somewhat limited on boxing day too. Needless to say these restrictions cause panic buying of bread every year.

Each Christmas we go to the Metrocentre for a family outing doing some shopping, plenty of eating etc. The fact that you cannot buy goods until 11 on a Sunday is extremely irritating, not least because I am usually itching to get away by mid afternoon to get back home. In the early years you were not allowed in the Centre at all. Now you are, you can try things on, queue up etc but the tills cannot be used until 11. Most, almost all stores therefore have their staff in about an hour earlier but cannot sell anything. It is just stupid.

Mmmm, I remember the bottled beer selection at the big Tesco along the waterfront from the rail bridge as the best I have ever seen in a supermarket, or anywhere. May have changed in 20 years!
  • Options
    Lennon said:

In fairness, given the adage that if it seems to good to be true it probably is - I would view anyone offering that with immense suspicion!
    Irritatingly George Clooney married a brilliant London-based lawyer. The wrong brilliant London-based lawyer, obviously. The fool. She looks like a man in drag.

(And now I will sheath my claws and go and do some work.)
  • Options

Correct.
    You can't fiddle with the constitution just because the governing party is facing a rebellion of its own MPs.
    Huh?
    What constitution.
    Such constitution as we have has been fiddled with long ago by Labour with LD connivance to bring in devolved government.
    If Scotland wants all day opening on Sunday then good luck to them. Why should Scottish MPs vote for for against English opening times when
    a) Its nothing to do with them or their constituents
    b) These same Scottish MPs have no say in Scottish opening times in their own constituencies
    ??
    Your notion of what seems constitutional seems a little half baked.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

I always thought you unsheathed your claws when you were doing your work!
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336
    edited November 2015
    Cyclefree said:

I'm amazed at how much shopping people are doing all the time. Where can they possibly put it all? What do they want it for? Look at the numbers of people in clothes shops, for instance. And yet when you walk the streets so many people are so appallingly dressed looking as if (a) they haven't bought new clothes in years; and/or (b) as if they got dressed in the dark or, in some cases, as if they fell into their wardrobes with glue on their bodies.

I don't get the fuss either and would be quite happy for shops to decide when and where they open. Do you think all the online stores like Amazon shut down at 10pm on a Saturday and not open again until 8am on a Monday, of course not. The idea that the UK workforce is 9-5 Monday-Saturday is totally outdated.

What I find slightly odd is Sainsburys reaction to this. When it was trialed during the Olympics, Tescos were extremely happy to go 24/7, but Justin King (boss of Sainsburys at the time) was very very anti, and even though King has now gone they don't seem very keen. I wonder why? Is it that their systems can't handle 24/7 store opening?
  • Options

A very unimpressed Daniel Hannan - who's fisked the renegotiation demands - and unsurprisingly recommends we vote to Leave:

http://blogs.new.spectator.co.uk/2015/11/david-cameron-will-secure-all-of-his-eu-reforms-because-they-will-alter-nothing/

I think he's spot on.

Like he was ever going to do anything different. Since when has he ever offered to take responsibility for his opinions?
  • Options

I think he's spot on.

Like he was ever going to do anything different. Since when has he ever offered to take responsibility for his opinions?
    Dave or Dan ?
  • Options

I think he's spot on.

Which part do you disagree with?
  • Options
    ''I think he's spot on. ''

For me the big worry with leaving is severe skill shortages and wage inflation. The current arrangements allow employers to tap into a big pool of labour to plug gaps in expertise.

I read that supply of labour is already tightening, even with the status quo.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380

Of course the SNP are just trouble-makers, they don't actually care a jot about the issue. It's not even a proposal for Sunday trading as such, but to allow local decision-making on Sunday trading. You have to admire their cynicism in pretending to oppose that! Thank goodness we don't have a minority government in thrall to them - we are very lucky they can only throw this kind of cynical stunt on those few issues where Labour and a few Tory rebels agree.

I think so. I never met a constituent urging me to vote for Sunday trading - bodies like the CBI, yes, but not voters. Conversely, USDAW, a mild-mannered, helpful trade union that even the most centrist Labour MP is pleased to have behind them, sees opposing it as a key issue. So it's "shall I please constituents+moderate union+churches or shall I please big business?" - hmm, tough choice, not.
  • Options

I can remember half day closing on Wedneaday in the uk and late night opening on Thursdays .
    I almost went hungry on a Sunday in Koln in 97 (a Max Planck Institute). found a cake vending machine. but twas a shock to the system (after glagsow)
  • Options
    taffys said:

''I think he's spot on. ''

For me the big worry with leaving is severe skill shortages and wage inflation. The current arrangements allow employers to tap into a big pool of labour to plug gaps in expertise.

I read that supply of labour is already tightening, even with the status quo.

This probably isn't an argument "Remain" are going to be crowing about too loudly. Leave OTOH...
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

I always thought you unsheathed your claws when you were doing your work!
    Well, yes. I do. But not quite as bitchily.

• Options

I think so. I never met a constituent urging me to vote for Sunday trading - bodies like the CBI, yes, but not voters. Conversely, USDAW, a mild-mannered, helpful trade union that even the most centrist Labour MP is pleased to have behind them, sees opposing it as a key issue. So it's "shall I please constituents+moderate union+churches or shall I please big business?" - hmm, tough choice, not.
    It's a free hit for Labour, far less so for the SNP.
  • Options

I think he's spot on.

Hand on heart, did you really expect Dan Hannan to recommend we stay ?
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,960

Pulpstar said:

It is really unattractive politicking Mike. Almost as vindictive as Nick Clegg reneging on the boundaries in the last parliament.

• Options
    Mortimer said:

Pulpstar said:

It is really unattractive politicking Mike. Almost as vindictive as Nick Clegg reneging on the boundaries in the last parliament.
    What is the progress of the "600 seats", (Or SI or w/e) by the way ? Is it currently with the Lords or Commons or will it just come into force or what ?
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,960
    edited November 2015

Very true.

My constituency is about as far from Scotland as you can get, geographically. I heard many different insults given to Sturgeon and Salmond on the doorsteps, and, surprise surprise, those who have been lending their vote to the Libs for the last 2 or 3 elections came back to their natural home...
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,144
    Pro_Rata said:

DavidL said:

Mmmm, I remember the bottled beer selection at the big Tesco along the waterfront from the rail bridge as the best I have ever seen in a supermarket, or anywhere. May have changed in 20 years!
    Most dead place on a Sunday i’ve found in the past few years was Wellington, NZ. I found a diary note theother day “Never arrive in a Kiwi town where you might need food after midday on a Sunday"
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,022

Pro_Rata said:

DavidL said:

Most dead place on a Sunday i’ve found in the past few years was Wellington, NZ. I found a diary note theother day “Never arrive in a Kiwi town where you might need food after midday on a Sunday"
    Lordy! Given that Wellington is the capital, God only knows what it's like in the sticks.
  • Options

I think he's spot on.

Hand on heart, did you really expect Dan Hannan to recommend we stay ?
    It's not about stay or leave, it's about a set of 'demands' so weak they'd be going some to be called a fig leaf. This is an insult to the public.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Lennon said:

Irritatingly George Clooney married a brilliant London-based lawyer. The wrong brilliant London-based lawyer, obviously. The fool. She looks like a man in drag.

If only you'd spent your Sundays shopping for the right coffee machine...
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    it's about a set of 'demands' so weak they'd be going some to be called a fig leaf

Exactly right.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Cyclefree said:

We really do need that like button back.
  • Options
    ''it's about a set of 'demands' so weak they'd be going some to be called a fig leaf''

Dave's demands say more about Dave's viewpoint than they do about the issue at hand.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,272
    I've just taken the 5/6 on the LDs to save their deposit in Oldham West.

If anyone wants to offer me some more, I'd be glad to it.

Pulpstar?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

I have often been accused of dressing in the dark and I spend a lot of time (and money) choosing my outfits.

I need all the shopping hours there are and then some.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Pro_Rata said:

DavidL said:

Try small town Netherlands; the shops there don't open on a Monday let alone a Sunday. Fortunately the restaurants do and so a good time can be had by all. The Cloggies seem to have retained a grip on the important things in life.
This discussion has been closed.