Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » David Herdson calls for an Easter resurrection of Pontius P

Comments

• DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Plato said:

@AN1 and @Financier - your cookie tip worked ;^ )

You are undermining capitalism and the free market economy.
  • samsam Posts: 727

I'm with Bobajob - I think Disqus for all its faults was better. The lack of an answer function here is strangling debate. It's still worth reaqding for the thread headers, but it's no longer a major site for interactive debate. The idea of paying money for this seems to me a mistake!

If you quote the original post, using the quote button is the same as the old reply button isn't it?

I'm with Bobajob - I think Disqus for all its faults was better. The lack of an answer function here is strangling debate. It's still worth reaqding for the thread headers, but it's no longer a major site for interactive debate. The idea of paying money for this seems to me a mistake!

Agreed, though the quote link at the bottom left of each post provides some sort of answer mechanism. What it lacks is a link back to the original comment.

Agreed, though the quote link at the bottom left of each post provides some sort of answer mechanism. What it lacks is a link back to the original comment.
    You don't really need a link to the original though do you? It is quoted above your comment
  • Plato said:

Plato said:

Creative destruction. If the Telegraph can't get it right, they deserve to die.
  • foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

I cannot see that its that much better than new disqus, which seemed to be getting more sorted. Certainly it is a less fluid and dynamic discussion.

OK. I might try that, then I can use the same password I use for most things (where they don't have to be changed).

That is a seriously bad idea.

Here is a three-step guide to cybercrime:

1) set up website offering political and betting advice (or other goodies)
    2) try username/email address + password combinations at other sites
    3) profit
  • hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758
    Neil said:

hucks67 said:

Unusual, as governments don't normally publish impact assessments as such.

No, it would be highly unusual not to produce an impact assessment for a policy of this significance.

The government refused to publish the IA for the NHS reform bill, as they said that experts who had given them candid advice, would in future not do so or limit what they said. Perhaps there are different types of IA, some which are released and some not or they only release parts of them.

• NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    hucks67 said:

The government refused to publish the IA for the NHS reform bill

Google is your friend:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/health-and-social-care-bill-2011-combined-impact-assessments

Creative destruction. If the Telegraph can't get it right, they deserve to die.

One problem the Telegraph might face is that by blocking people like Plato who post links to its stories here and on other sites like Digg and Reddit, traffic flow is reduced so the site becomes less attractive to advertisers.
    edited March 2013
    As an aside, here are some political betting prices...

South Shields

LD to lose deposit 5/6
    Con to lose deposit 7/2

Turnout
    Over/Under 34.5% 5/6

Paddy Power

Maybe the Cons at 7/2?

My Heath Robinson guess at the turnout was 35%!!! If Paddy Power are using this site to help them price this up, please note that I am pulling numbers out of the air here!
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,997

I cannot see that its that much better than new disqus, which seemed to be getting more sorted. Certainly it is a less fluid and dynamic discussion.
    One can use the "quote" function.

They did mess me about with my password, though.

sam said:

South Shields

LD to lose deposit 5/6
    Con to lose deposit 7/2

Turnout
    Over/Under 34.5% 5/6

Paddy Power

Maybe the Cons at 7/2?

My Heath Robinson guess at the turnout was 35%!!! If Paddy Power are using this site to help them price this up, please note that I am pulling numbers out of the air here!

What'll they give on an Independent winning? That's not a Ukipper, a local non party person.

sam said:

South Shields

LD to lose deposit 5/6
    Con to lose deposit 7/2

Turnout
    Over/Under 34.5% 5/6

Paddy Power

Maybe the Cons at 7/2?

What'll they give on an Independent winning? That's not a Ukipper, a local non party person.
    Coral go 100/1
    sam said:

sam said:

South Shields

LD to lose deposit 5/6
    Con to lose deposit 7/2

Turnout
    Over/Under 34.5% 5/6

Paddy Power

Maybe the Cons at 7/2?

Coral go 100/1
    Thinking about that. No indication of who might stand yet, of course. Several Indies on the local council.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

That's most peculiar. I got a strong rating by a similar method and it's not been a problem.

Not a technical sort of person, but are you logging in from the same device each time? Are you using a PC or something else? [I'm using the same desktop as usual].

I use the same password on an Apple desktop (firefox), Apple laptop (safari) and Blackberry (FKW) and it seems to work.
  • FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    hucks67 said:

Neil said:

hucks67 said:

Unusual, as governments don't normally publish impact assessments as such.

No, it would be highly unusual not to produce an impact assessment for a policy of this significance.

The government refused to publish the IA for the NHS reform bill, as they said that experts who had given them candid advice, would in future not do so or limit what they said. Perhaps there are different types of IA, some which are released and some not or they only release parts of them.

I think it is the Risk Register the fox is thinking of.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,019
    Easter-themed Depeche Mode video from 20 years ago (apols for advert preceding!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T7zKWDr4v0
  • sam said:

Coral go 100/1
    Thinking about that. No indication of who might stand yet, of course. Several Indies on the local council.
    Independents in by-elections usually fail the "can you deliver 9 constituency-wide leaflets in 4 weeks?" test.
  • MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited March 2013

sam said:

South Shields

LD to lose deposit 5/6
    Con to lose deposit 7/2

Turnout
    Over/Under 34.5% 5/6

Paddy Power

Maybe the Cons at 7/2?

It is almost impossible for an independent to compete. In Eastleigh the Danny Stupple campaign was well funded with excellent literature and paid for distribution. He was probably the most articulate candidate and had a focused niche message. Still only got 700 votes.

A problem was that the media excluded him from things like the hustings.

Whatever - I won my 14/1 bets on him coming top of the "rest".

• CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,216
    "Persecuted Christians" ComRes poll - commissioned by the "Coalition for (anyone but the gayers) Marriage":

http://www.comres.co.uk/polls/C4M_Cpanel_Results_Feb_2013.pdf
    Bow to your knowledge and experience, Mr Smithson, but AFAIK there are no Indies on Eastleigh or Hants council. There are in S Shields, and the Progressive Party website seems to rate them. There's also the long-running "Monkey" business with SouthTyneside council.
    @CarlottaVance

Some of the frenzy is just ridiculous.

The fundamental point is that marriage is a secular contract which Parliament can extend to whomsoever it sees fit. It's not something that religion has a monoploy over. We chose to have a full Anglican nupital mass, with the choir & trumpeter from Westminster Abbey. That worked for us - it wouldn't work for everyone.

I wish that the government had gone down the route of formally separating the secular and religious elements of marriage (allowing homosexuals to participate in secular marriage alongside everyone else, but giving the churches the right to decide who they would or would not celebrate). But to claim that Christians are a 'persecuted minority' is just silly.
    Charles said:

@CarlottaVance But to claim that Christians are a 'persecuted minority' is just silly.

Especially over a weekend which reminds us what real persecution of Christians looks like..."What did the Romans ever do for us....?"

Especially over a weekend which reminds us what real persecution of Christians looks like..."What did the Romans ever do for us....?"

It's an old theological chestnut, but I'd argue that Jesus wasn't a Christian. He was a Jew.
    @Charles, quite possibly - and looking at the poll internals, it has to be said that 2010 Labour voters and Methodists appear the most level headed and least "persecuted" of the bunch. Fewer Daily Mail readers?
    Great tweet:

"Footballer comes out as gay and feels he has to leave the game:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/mar/29/robbie-rogers-coming-out-gay

Lord Carey, this is what a persecuted minority feels like.
  • BobajobBobajob Posts: 1,536
    sam said:

Bobajob said:

sam said:

I'm not particularly religious, for example I've never been to church outside Weddings & funerals, but I was quite surprised a the lack of religious programmes on tv yesterday. Just Melvyn Bragg talking about Mary Magdalene?

There are entire channels devoted to superstitions of all breeds, for those that want them. Me and my three-year-old are more than happy with the oriental mysticism of Kung Fu Panda.

Are you a real person or a parody? That was like an auto response from a Richard Dawkins wind up doll.

It was Good Friday. If its just a normal day then why is it a Bank Holiday? Have you replied to David Herdson, mocking him for the irrelevance of the point of his thread?.

A truly bizarre response, from one who himself never goes to church. I'm doing the gardening and cleaning out the shed. That's what Easter means to me. If people want to watch religious programmes, there are channels full of them.

Charles said:

@CarlottaVance

Some of the frenzy is just ridiculous.

The fundamental point is that marriage is a secular contract which Parliament can extend to whomsoever it sees fit. It's not something that religion has a monoploy over. We chose to have a full Anglican nupital mass, with the choir & trumpeter from Westminster Abbey. That worked for us - it wouldn't work for everyone.

I wish that the government had gone down the route of formally separating the secular and religious elements of marriage (allowing homosexuals to participate in secular marriage alongside everyone else, but giving the churches the right to decide who they would or would not celebrate). But to claim that Christians are a 'persecuted minority' is just silly.

Thry should allow atheist heterosexuals to have civil partnerships

• AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited March 2013
    In May 2012 Labour won all South Shields wards. There were 6 gains from Ind/Progressives. The closest fights were in Cleadon Park (Lab hold by 1%) and Beacon & Bents (Labour unseated Cllr Khan 43 to 35%).

In May 2011 Ind won 2 wards (Cleadon Park and Westoe) out of 10.

In 2010, on GE turnout, Labour won all wards.

In 2008, they won just 4 wards

In 2007, they on 7 wards.

In 2006, they won 7 wards

In 2004 all out elections, Labour elected 19 Cllrs out of 30.
    Bobajob said:

sam said:

Bobajob said:

sam said:

I'm not particularly religious, for example I've never been to church outside Weddings & funerals, but I was quite surprised a the lack of religious programmes on tv yesterday. Just Melvyn Bragg talking about Mary Magdalene?

There are entire channels devoted to superstitions of all breeds, for those that want them. Me and my three-year-old are more than happy with the oriental mysticism of Kung Fu Panda.

Are you a real person or a parody? That was like an auto response from a Richard Dawkins wind up doll.

It was Good Friday. If its just a normal day then why is it a Bank Holiday? Have you replied to David Herdson, mocking him for the irrelevance of the point of his thread?.

A truly bizarre response, from one who himself never goes to church. I'm doing the gardening and cleaning out the shed. That's what Easter means to me. If people want to watch religious programmes, there are channels full of them.

I just made a neutral remark about there being almost no special programming on the main 5 channels due to it being Good Friday, you chose to reply with a pisstake of religious people.

But as you did, are you aware that there are lots of people, old people in particular, who dont have sky or virgin, therefore don't have channels full of religion. As the UK is supposed to be a Christian country, and it was a religious holiday, it's not really that far fetched to think there might be a mention of it on state tv.

But really, why do you feel the need to comment so often when I write things that you disagree with but don't want to debate? Just ignore. Do you go into every shop you pass and tell the staff you don't want to buy anything?
  • HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    "Thry should allow atheist heterosexuals to have civil partnerships"

Why only atheists? Why not people of a religion, if they want to undertake such a thing?

If the state must have a role in personal relationships, and for Inheritance Tax purposes I suppose it must, then I think Mr. Charles has the best solution - divorce (if you'll pardon the term) the secular bit that the state is interested in from the religious.

As an aside, its very, very quiet on here today. Not that I miss a certain punter posting repetitive, smeary rubbish every ten minutes, but, golly, in six years here I don't think I have seen it as quiet as this.
  • JamesKellyJamesKelly Posts: 1,348
    I'm not sure that every modern politician would have acted as Pontius Pilate did. Tony Blair would have gone ahead and ordered the crucifixion without all the faffing around with hand-washing, floggings and trips to Herod - because "I just felt it was the right thing to do".

"Thry should allow atheist heterosexuals to have civil partnerships"

Why only atheists? Why not people of a religion, if they want to undertake such a thing?

If the state must have a role in personal relationships, and for Inheritance Tax purposes I suppose it must, then I think Mr. Charles has the best solution - divorce (if you'll pardon the term) the secular bit that the state is interested in from the religious.

As an aside, its very, very quiet on here today. Not that I miss a certain punter posting repetitive, smeary rubbish every ten minutes, but, golly, in six years here I don't think I have seen it as quiet as this.

Yes, sorry I meant open to everyone, just thought it would appeal to atheists more...

Here is a tweet that would apply to us pb people more than your average bear

James Martin (@Pundamentalism)
    30/03/2013 12:47
    Actually, 'not talking about it' is only the 617th rule of Bureaucracy Club.

• PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    RT @AndrewBloch: Brilliant church poster http://tinyurl.com/d64r9p3 via @adland #Easter
    "Actually, 'not talking about it' is only the 617th rule of Bureaucracy Club."

Which reminds me, it is about time we had another round of PB diplomacy. The good Dr. Palmer mentioned this a while a go but nothing seems to have come of it. Anyone interested in a game? Email me on HurstLlama at gmail.com
    sam said:

My proposal was that *everyone* needs to have a secular marriage if they want the tax/other benefits in the eyes of the state. If some people want a religious ceremony as well, all power to them
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,503
    Good afternoon, everyone.

F1: McLaren expect progress in China:
    http://www.espn.co.uk/mclaren/motorsport/story/104567.html

Mercedes should go well there too. They were strong in Malaysia and Rosberg had a boringly easy victory in Shanghai last year, plus the circuit should be a good one for the FRIC (Front Rear Inter-connected suspension).
    Rule 617b of Bureaucracy Club: do not talk about Bureaucracy Club.
    Hmmm Andrea. Thin I'd better put my money on an Indie second!
    Charles said:

My proposal was that *everyone* needs to have a secular marriage if they want the tax/other benefits in the eyes of the state.

Might be coming to Ireland indirectly, there the Catholic Bishops are threatening to refuse to perform the civil part of weddings if gay marriage is brought in. Reading through the submissions to the Constitutional Convention on this subject is quite interesting.

Charles said:

sam said:

My proposal was that *everyone* needs to have a secular marriage if they want the tax/other benefits in the eyes of the state. If some people want a religious ceremony as well, all power to them
    Yes, that seems like a great solution to the problems posed. I hope it happens

• SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,451
    Interesting interview with Andy Murray in today's Times magazine. Proud to be Scottish, proud to British; he sees no contradiction.
    sam said:

Yes, that seems like a great solution to the problems posed.

Tbf allowing certain religions to carry out legally binding weddings has not proved to be a huge problem. The vast majority have shown themselves to completely reliable in carrying out the role.

Neil said:

Charles said:

My proposal was that *everyone* needs to have a secular marriage if they want the tax/other benefits in the eyes of the state.

Might be coming to Ireland indirectly, there the Catholic Bishops are threatening to refuse to perform the civil part of weddings if gay marriage is brought in. Reading through the submissions to the Constitutional Convention on this subject is quite interesting.

So will they do the Military part?

(I'll get me wedding train!)

Which reminds me, it is about time we had another round of PB diplomacy. The good Dr. Palmer mentioned this a while a go but nothing seems to have come of it. Anyone interested in a game? Email me on HurstLlama at gmail.com

You mean like a Parley, Mr Llama? Belike and all that!
    "Proud to be Scottish, proud to British; he sees no contradiction."

Neither do I, and nor do most other members of the Scottish National Party. Scotland is part of an island called Great Britain, and barring the invention of a very large chainsaw, will remain so after independence.

Contrary to the apparent belief of some, Britain is not the name given to whatever political state London happens to be capital city of at any given time.

"Proud to be Scottish, proud to British; he sees no contradiction."

Neither do I, and nor do most other members of the Scottish National Party. Scotland is part of an island called Great Britain, and barring the invention of a very large chainsaw, will remain so after independence.

Contrary to the apparent belief of some, Britain is not the name given to whatever political state London happens to be capital city of at any given time.

Just saying James!

"Just saying James!"

What?
    edited March 2013

Interesting interview with Andy Murray in today's Times magazine. Proud to be Scottish,

Wimbledon Final!
    proud to be British
    US Open Final, Olympics!
    Maybe it's time for another of my exciting classical history quizzes!

After Marcus Aurelius, who was the next man to ascend to the purple (ie become emperor)?

"Just saying James!"

What?

Sorry, not clear. I meant I was just reporting the comment, which I thought was interesting.

"Just saying James!"

What?

That your attempts to parse nationality and geography are endlessly amusing....if a tad predictable.

Others may feel both Scottish and British in an identity sense - without resorting to an atlas....

"I meant I was just reporting the comment, which I thought was interesting."

I know. And I was simply vocalising my bemusement that you thought it was interesting, given that it was an uncontroversial statement of the bleedin' obvious.
    edited March 2013

Britain is not the name given to whatever political state London happens to be capital city of at any given time.

I think you'll find that we can carry on calling it 'Britain', post separation, if we darn well like....and not a lot you can do about it - heck, you're even volunteering to have bank notes with 'Bank of England' on them.....how English 'British' can you get?

Neil said:

sam said:

Yes, that seems like a great solution to the problems posed.

Tbf allowing certain religions to carry out legally binding weddings has not proved to be a huge problem. The vast majority have shown themselves to completely reliable in carrying out the role.

It seems to me that the state must evolve as society does, else it will not be relevant, and it cant afford for that to happen. I dont think the church has to evolve at the same speed as society, and most of the people in it dont really want it to. So best to do away with the masquerade of politicians pretending to be religious and religious folk following society's trends through gritted teeth, at least then everyone will know where they stand.
    "Others may feel both Scottish and British in an identity sense - without resorting to an atlas...."

No wonder, given that half the aristocracy were born in Egypt or Swaziland.
    edited March 2013

Maybe it's time for another of my exciting classical history quizzes!

After Marcus Aurelius, who was the next man to ascend to the purple (ie become emperor)?

Joaquin Phoenix? I mean Commodus!
    Avast, Cap'n Doc!

A parley is exactly what I mean. Even though it is a word invented by the French, who it should be remembered thought eating bits of frogs, cruelty to geese and urinating in the street were neat ideas. Diplomacy is such a great game because its rules are few and everything else are merely guidelines, but talking is the only way to win. Diplomacy is also unique in that it is impossible to win unless your opponents help you.

Belike. Aaargh!

Britain is not the name given to whatever political state London happens to be capital city of at any given time.

I think you'll find that we can carry on calling it 'Britain', post separation, if we darn well like....and not a lot you can do about it - heck, you're even volunteering to have bank notes with 'Bank of England' on them.....how English 'British' can you get?

Don't forget the British language too!
    "I think you'll find that we can carry on calling it 'Britain', post separation, if we darn well like"

Oh absolutely. Factual inaccuracy is not against international law - as we know, the German Democratic Republic was not particularly democratic. If you get what you darn well like, it'll be a bit like that, Carlotta.

Delighted to see that you're as full of the joys of spring as ever, by the way!
    Dr. Prasannan, yes... and no. It's contentious, but for the purposes of this quiz I'm going to say no.
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Number one in the pop charts, 30 years ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M0hogZyRyU&amp
    edited March 2013
    AndyJS said:

Number one in the pop charts, 30 years ago:

I was going to post that tonight! Great song though!
    @Sam

I dont disagree but that evolution can happen whether or not religious ministers etc. are entrusted to carry out marriages that are recognised in law. I cant see a particular problem that separating religious and civil marriages fixes. (Though I dont have strong feelings about it either way.)

Dr. Prasannan, yes... and no. It's contentious, but for the purposes of this quiz I'm going to say no.

Hmmm... Russell Crowe then?

Don't forget the British language too!

They must be abandoning Imperial miles and converting to Kilometres, like good Europeans, surely?

"I meant I was just reporting the comment, which I thought was interesting."

I know. And I was simply vocalising my bemusement that you thought it was interesting, given that it was an uncontroversial statement of the bleedin' obvious.

What makes you proud to be British?

as we know, the German Democratic Republic was not particularly democratic.

Oh dear, we're back to the 'oppressed' of 'North Korea' again......

• fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,292
    edited March 2013
    @AndyJS That makes me feel very old knowing that its now 30 years since Duran Duran were at No1 with this song. :)
    "What makes you proud to be British?"

Sophie Ellis-Bextor, Doctor Who, and the Pembrokeshire coast.
    "Oh dear, we're back to the 'oppressed' of 'North Korea' again......"

Good grief, are PB Tories now claiming that the people of North Korea aren't oppressed? I know that the Kim Jong-un regime are your cousins on the political right, but even so...

They must be abandoning Imperial miles and converting to Kilometres, like good Europeans, surely?

Ireland converted speed limits to kmph in 2005. I still find it weird to go home and find something as basic as that different from when I left.

Well, if it wasn't Commodus who the heck do you think it was?

Yours faithfully

Frustrated of Hurstpierpoint
    Lucius Verus, Mr. Llama.

Marcus Aurelius refused the purple unless Verus got it at the same time. Technically it was at the same time, but it only happened because of Aurelius' insistence.

Less contentiously: how many emperors willingly abdicated?

Well, if it wasn't Commodus who the heck do you think it was?

Yours faithfully

Frustrated of Hurstpierpoint
    Frustrated in Ilford North too, arrrragh!

P'raps Mr. Dancer means that Commodus was BORN in the purple (and co-ruled with Marcus Aurelius for a number of years) so the next one to ASCEND the purple would be Pertinax?

Lucius Verus, Mr. Llama.

Marcus Aurelius refused the purple unless Verus got it at the same time. Technically it was at the same time, but it only happened because of Aurelius' insistence.

Less contentiously: how many emperors willingly abdicated?

Wasn't Lucius Verus dead by 180 AD?
    Dr. Prasannan, around then, maybe a little earlier. Then came Commodus.

Aurelius was de facto emperor when Antoninus Pius died, and would only become de jure emperor if Verus got the purple too.

"What makes you proud to be British?"

Sophie Ellis-Bextor, Doctor Who, and the Pembrokeshire coast.

I'll give you Pembrokeshire!

• hughphughp Posts: 11
    How many Emperors willingly abdicated ?

Two ? (Diocletian, willingly, and Maximian, not so willingly).

• AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    Ahead of County elections..here's the annual basic allowances for Cllrs

Nottinghamshire 12,908.40£
    Kent 12,805
    Hampshire 12,003
    Surrey 11,791
    Essex 11,500
    West Sussex 11,030
    Devon 10,970
    East Sussex 10,842
    Buckinghamshire 10,718.04
    Dorset 10,185
    Suffolk 10,172.02
    Leicestershire 10,152
    Lancashire 10,139
    Derbyshire 9,948.00
    Somerset 9,879.96
    Hertfordshire 9,588
    North Yorkshire 8,994
    Warwickshire 8,975.04
    Staffordshire 8,933.04
    Norfolk 8,929
    Gloucestershire 8,799.96
    Worcestershire 8,515
    Oxfordshire 8,295
    Lincolnshire 8,184
    Cumbria 8,030.04
    Cambridgeshire 7,610.04
    Northamptonshire 6,692.26

Dr. Prasannan, around then, maybe a little earlier. Then came Commodus.

Aurelius was de facto emperor when Antoninus Pius died, and would only become de jure emperor if Verus got the purple too.

Ah yes I've had a look online on Wiki, thanks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucius_Verus
    Mr. P, so one then, and you're right about it being Diocletian (though he later regretted it when his wife and daughter [separate people] were in the power of a successor and he could do nothing about it).

Who was the first emperor to be succeeded by his brother?

Ahead of County elections..here's the annual basic allowances for Cllrs
    Nottinghamshire 12,908.40£
    Northamptonshire 6,692.26

I do hope voters ask why these (both Tory controlled) councils have such a huge disparity in allowances.....its not like they are miles apart or of different sizes.....

"Lucius Verus, Mr. Llama."

One day, Mr. Dancer, I am going to come North armed with a purse of monies and a moderate sized halibut. I shall buy you a drink with the former before I beat you to death with the latter.
    Oh, come on, Mr. Llama. If the answer were not Commodus then Verus is the only one that makes sense.
    SeanT said:

Anyone else tried Tramadol?

Whiooowhoooooooeeeeeeewhooooooooooeerrwwwhhooommmmmnnnnnnn n n mm....m....

You should not take this medication if you are allergic to tramadol, if you have ever been addicted to drugs or alcohol, or if you have ever attempted suicide. Do not take tramadol while you are intoxicated (drunk) or taking any of the following: alcohol or street drugs, narcotic pain medicine, sedatives or tranquilizers, or medicine for depression, anxiety, or mental illness.

Good luck!
  • Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237
    Betting post

The forecast for tomorrow has shifted to an easterly wind from north-easterly making the 3/1 on offer for the Boat Race winning time an even more attractive proposition. I would not estimate the winning time to be in the 16 40 somethings. Ability to hedge on 17-17:59 still available too.

SeanT said:

Anyone else tried Tramadol?

Whiooowhoooooooeeeeeeewhooooooooooeerrwwwhhooommmmmnnnnnnn n n mm....m....

You should not take this medication if you are allergic to tramadol, if you have ever been addicted to drugs or alcohol, or if you have ever attempted suicide. Do not take tramadol while you are intoxicated (drunk) or taking any of the following: alcohol or street drugs, narcotic pain medicine, sedatives or tranquilizers, or medicine for depression, anxiety, or mental illness.

Good luck!
    it hadn't been available very long when I had to deal with someone who was addicted to the stuff. Personally I wouldn't touch it.
  • AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,915
    Interesting and unusual article, David - many thanks, and I'm glad I logged on & caught it.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,411

@TSE - Not only is before the Lagershed, it's before the OrangeJuiceShed...

I've not been to bed yet. So my body clock is buggered at the moment, I went to an 80s all nighter last night.
    Reflex ?

Also I highly recommend The importance of being Ernest & Life of Brian to everyone. Not seen the film up top but it was very good. I suppose we'd all like our politicians to do what is right instead of whats popular, but doing the right thing per se doesn't neccesarily win elections ;(
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,910
    edited March 2013

Interesting interview with Andy Murray in today's Times magazine. Proud to be Scottish, proud to British; he sees no contradiction.

He is certainly in a minority and no great example for Scotland and not sure many peo;e care a jot what his opinion is. I have not heard many people who care a jot one way or the other, I would expect most English , Welsh , etc to have same opinion. For him making millions he has to appeal to everybody.
  • foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Count me in for Diplomacy.

For all boardgamers, check out this epic essay on the joy of monster games, I was gripped from the opening paragraphs:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/940888/a-life-altering-game-deserves-this-kind-of-session/page/1
  • RogerRoger Posts: 19,729
    Talking of tramadol (which is a very effective pain-killer) the NHS has become a complete shambles since the Tories took control. It was pretty widely expected that Lansley would be a disaster but at least Jeremy Hunt didn't seem weighed down by the same ideological baggage. No he was just incompetent. James Naughtie had it about right....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kL1nxsIfsrU
  • FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    AS Britain shivers through the coldest Easter ever, experts say we could be heading for a new Ice Age.

Their frosty prediction comes as the Met Office has warned that temperatures will remain up to 10C below average until about April 20 – not just the UK, but in the rest of the world as well.

Experts have declared the start of 2013 the coldest for 208 years, and they reckon it could become a whole lot colder.

Russian scientist Dr Habibullo Abdussamatov from the St Petersburg Pulkovo Astronomical Observatory claimed it is proof we are heading for a “mini Ice Age”.

He said: “We are now on an unavoidable advance towards a deep temperature drop.” According to Dr Abdussamatov, the Earth cools and warms in 200-year cycles.

The last big freeze, known as the Little Ice Age, ended in 1805. And he claims the next freezing period for the Earth will begin next year.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/view/306368/

An unusual source for such a news item - has anyone seen a similar quote? A bit of a death knell for global warming if true.
    edited March 2013

Good luck!

Tramadol - extract from one of the best websites out there (www.drugs.com)

Gastrointestinal

Gastrointestinal side effects are common. Nausea and constipation occur within the first 90 days of therapy in 40% and 46% of treated patients, respectively. Vomiting, diarrhea, dyspepsia, anorexia, flatulence, abdominal pain, and dry mouth have also been reported.

Nervous system

Seizures have been reported in patients receiving the normal recommended dose. The risk for seizures is increased with doses above the recommended range.

Nervous system side effects occur frequently. Dizziness, headache, and somnolence have been reported in more than 25% of treated patients during the first three months of therapy. CNS stimulation, including nervousness, anxiety, tremor, agitation, euphoria, emotional lability and hallucinations, has also been reported. Confusion, sleep disorders, and coordination disturbances have been reported in less than 5% of patients. Seizures have been reported in over 200 cases. Cases of long-lasting delirium have been reported in two elderly patients. A case of serotonin syndrome triggered by tramadol has also been reported.

Dermatologic

Dermatologic side effects including pruritus (11%) have been reported. Rash and urticaria have occurred rarely.

Genitourinary

Genitourinary side effects including urinary retention and urinary frequency have been reported in less than 5% of treated patients.

Cardiovascular

Cardiovascular side effects including tachycardia and orthostatic hypotension have been reported rarely.

Hypersensitivity

The use of tramadol is contraindicated for patients with a history of allergy to any opioid.

Hypersensitivity side effects including anaphylactoid reactions have been reported after first doses of tramadol as well as in patients with a documented history of codeine allergy. Angioedema has been reported rarely.

Other

Other side effects including withdrawal symptoms and, rarely, auditory hallucinations have been reported. A case of vocal cord closure has also been reported.

Metabolic

Metabolic side effects including hyponatremia have been reported
    I never understand how Tamadol keeps (or got in the first place) it's licence. Particularly in the US!
    Dr. Sox,

I have put your name down for the next PB Diplomacy game. It should be fun, the last series was. Just a word of advice, if Andy Cooke joins in do not trust the b'stard! He lies like a hairy egg. I mean you expect Doc Palmer to be a SoB at the diplomacy table, him being a former world champ at the game and a politician to boot, but for plausible lies, treachery and out right-double dealing Mr. Cooke has him beat by a country mile.

On the subject of giant games, I remember spending a week's leave playing SPI's Wellington's Victory - it took the two of us a whole day just to set up. I also played War in the East with all options; that took even longer and I might very well have won (as the Germans) had not the bloody cat got into the gaming room when we went to the pub. Hexes, cardboard and dice are great, but a computer is moggie proof.

Anyway, just remember if you met Andy Cooke at the Diplomacy table whatever he says he is lieing.
  • CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    @Charles

Nearly every prescription med I've taken over the last few years has had a 'warnings' list looking something like that. Maybe they just cover themselves for everything, so that they can't be blamed for anything.

Quiet on here.
This discussion has been closed.