Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Which Irish eyes will be smiling in 2016 – a look at next y

Comments

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

surbiton said:

Tim_B said:

Y0kel said:

Moses_ said:

O/T
    Well this is interesting... Daily Telegraph.

Russia's top aviation official says the Russian passenger plane that crashed in Egypt had broken up at high altitude.

French experts believe Isil may have placed bomb on plane that crashed in Egypt on Saturday, with 17 children and 207 adults on board. Latest news here

Just a 3 mile debris field and broke up at high altitude? DT also reports that The French are also leaning towards a bomb at the moment

Why bring it down over the Sinai? To stoke tensions in Egypt? Laxer controls?

Surely the way to terrorise people would to have brought it down just before it was due to land in Berlin or something.

Opportunity in that business is rarely that exact.
    Lockerbie being the perfect example. 45-60 minutes later and they would never have recovered all the wreckage, and would probably have not found the Toshiba cassette player.

IIRC there was some delay in take off
    Who knows we might then have blamed the correct people rather than one who was put up. Most believed Iran was behind it and they had a formidable intelligence capability. It was meant to be revenge for the American shooting down of 200 pilgrims to Makkah.

But you cannot blame Iran as Libya was blamed for it and suitable scapegoats were put up. Incidentally, we still did business with Libya after one of their intelligence officers was convicted. Sounds a bit fishy, doesn't it ?
    On the other hand, Libya had a track record of bombing civilian airliners.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTA_Flight_772

As an aside, that page mentions another terrorist bomb going off on the runway, this time on a DC8 after it had landed. It seems timers are not necessarily the most reliable method of setting off bombs on airliners.

As a further aside, UTA 772 has a rather sombre but spectacular memorial in the desert where it crashed.
    http://www.snopes.com/photos/airplane/flight772.asp
    That is a very moving memorial, though seems now to have some sand drift over it, looking at Google Earth.

Thanks for the link.

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,024
    RobD said:

I would rather the plane came down as a result of terrorism than mechanical failure. Lots more A32X out there, and a design fault could impact any of them.

Not really. If it was a mechanical failure, then the causal factors will probably be identified, and there is a good chance they will be guarded against in the future. Terrorism is much harder and more costly to effectively guard against, especially in certain countries.
    Plus the plane is 18 years old and has been operated by 3rd rate airlines. And it has been involved in a previous incident which must question its structural integrity.
    Yes, poor repairs from the tailstrike has to be the most likely cause at the moment, and it could explain the little firm information we have.
    Sounds like shades of this disaster:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan_Airlines_Flight_123
    How long ago was the tailstrike on the Russian jet? The Japan Airlines 123 must be among the worst. That they had to go through that ordeal, and apparently some surviving the crash only to die before being rescued. Miraculous that four did survive in the end.
    The previous accident to this aircraft was 2001, plane was previously on French registry and operated in Africa. I can't find a source for who carried out the repair but it took 3 months, so I would guess that if Airbus didn't do it themselves they were involved in supervising it.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    F*** me it's expensive buying a house.

George owes me a drink for this.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Completely off topic, but one very good thing the New Labour government did do was place restrictions on the sale of fireworks, and one very bad thing this government has done is remove them again. We've had huge numbers of them going off every night for the last three weeks, and I have no doubt they will continue for at least the next week. I'm absolutely sick of them.

Hardly any round us yet. We tend to get a lot at Diwali too (11 Nov this year). My cat and dog don't like them much.
    Nothing around us either. To be honest I tire of these continual calls to ban fireworks. There are already plenty of restrictions on their sale and use and they are amongst the least of the social annoyances in modern life as far as I am concerned.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

O/T
    Well this is interesting... Daily Telegraph.

Russia's top aviation official says the Russian passenger plane that crashed in Egypt had broken up at high altitude.

French experts believe Isil may have placed bomb on plane that crashed in Egypt on Saturday, with 17 children and 207 adults on board. Latest news here

Just a 3 mile debris field and broke up at high altitude? DT also reports that The French are also leaning towards a bomb at the moment

PPRUNE has it that: (a) the plane had been badly damaged with a tail strike in 2001. *If* it was poorly maintained then it could have broken apart in the air.

and (b) The owners of the airline have fled from Russia to Thailand...

Make of that what you will
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Completely off topic, but one very good thing the New Labour government did do was place restrictions on the sale of fireworks, and one very bad thing this government has done is remove them again. We've had huge numbers of them going off every night for the last three weeks, and I have no doubt they will continue for at least the next week. I'm absolutely sick of them.

Hardly any round us yet. We tend to get a lot at Diwali too (11 Nov this year). My cat and dog don't like them much.
    Nothing around us either. To be honest I tire of these continual calls to ban fireworks. There are already plenty of restrictions on their sale and use and they are amongst the least of the social annoyances in modern life as far as I am concerned.
    Had a few going off near us last night - Halloween parties? Nothing tonight though - so far!

• Options

I loved Diwali in India with all the painted animals - I'd paint mine but suspect the RSPCA would bitch about it

ydoethur said:

Diwali is a lovely festival. 40 000 expected on Belgrave rd for the opening of the Diwali celebrations on the Golden Mile tonight. It is such beautiful and positive experience, the upside of multiculturalism.

http://www.itv.com/news/central/update/2015-10-30/weekend-picks-diwali-lights-switch-on-1st-november/

• Options
    OT. Having seen the Sonny Boy Williams video this afternoon I do hope he gets some form of official recognition from the World Rugby organisation for what must be one of the greatest adverts for the game and its reputation I have ever seen.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I'm not convinced by comparisons of Fianna Fail and suggestions they are a potential model for the SNP to follow. On the most basic points:

1) They failed to win the Irish Civil War, a war they themselves had launched in a futile bid to get better peace terms out of the British government. However, in the meanwhile they had managed to kill or otherwise incapacitate all of Ireland's ablest politicians or administrators apart from Richard Mulcahy and de Valera himself (accepting for the moment that while he had many admirable qualities, Cosgrave was not really a first-rank politician) which severely retarded Ireland's political development;

2) They failed to gain Irish independence, although they took some fairly important steps towards it;

3) Their mere existence made the already slender chances of ending Partition absolutely zero.

Surely the SNP would want something better than that, both for themselves and for Scotland?

FF wasn't around at the time of the Civil War!

FF was formed by Dev in 1926, as he disagreed with the ongoing abstentionism (WRT the Dail) of the Anti-Treaty SF (as was).
    Fianna Fail was formed out of the Anti-Treaty forces of the civil war. What is now Sinn Fein was the breakaway. Cummann na Gaedhael (as it then was) were the pro-Treaty forces, but later merged with other parties including the controversial 'Blueshirt' movement to form Fine Gael in the early 1930s.

PS - don't trust WP - it appears to have been edited by a SF fanatic.
    FF and Dev walked out of the SF Ard Fheis in 1926, actually.

The chronology of SF from 1905 to today is as follows:

SF founded 1905

CnG formed in 1923 - Pro-Treaty faction - first split

FF formed in 1926 - Anti-abstentionist faction -second split

"Officials" formed in 1970 - split due to Ideology and Armed struggle - third split

Republican SF/Continuity IRA formed in 1986 - pro-abstentionist faction - fourth split

32 County Sovereignty Movement/Real IRA formed in 1997 - anti-Ceasefire faction - fifth split

• Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    edited November 2015
    I've said here many times before that I'd move to India in an instant and considering it. Rajastan felt like home within minutes.

That a Maharajah's son proposed to me and I experienced the whole 400 room fort/aunties and uncles vetting, flower petal welcome, uniformed servant greeting just spaced me out. I rang by BFF from one of the loos to say WTF WTF WTF. EDIT I had no idea it was coming.

I wish I'd said Yes. Instead, I have a solid silver lion as the representation of his manliness and royalty.

I loved Diwali in India with all the painted animals - I'd paint mine but suspect the RSPCA would bitch about it

ydoethur said:

Diwali is a lovely festival. 40 000 expected on Belgrave rd for the opening of the Diwali celebrations on the Golden Mile tonight. It is such beautiful and positive experience, the upside of multiculturalism.

http://www.itv.com/news/central/update/2015-10-30/weekend-picks-diwali-lights-switch-on-1st-november/

• Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,079

On topic, it always seemed an odd decision of Labour to go into coalition rather than let FG govern as a minority. Yes, there was the 'national interest' argument and yes, Labour has acted as the minor party in government before but finishing second gave Labour their best ever chance of breaking through to be a main player. Instead, they've given FF a clearer road back and allowed SF to advance on the left.

In the end in 2011, after Labour fell back a lot in polling, their campaign was predicated on moderating FG in government, so stepping aside would have disappointed their voters anyway. At that time, a single-party FG government looked possible and Labour did well among people who feared that outcome - anecdotally, public-sector workers were one of their major blocs in 2011 after a lifetime of voting FF. So their support was always ephemeral. And as FF has shown, there were limited advantages in being the main opposition party, i.e. a poll gain of about 2 to 3 per cent in four years. Opposition has tended to be more fundamentalist and radical, more about stopping government policies than backing any alternative set of policies, which is why the government currently has the initiative.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    doppio posto
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Leicester is a city that very much benefits from the presence of the Indian community. Diwali is fab and I am sorry I don't get a chance to get over there more often at this time of year.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,022
    Charles said:

Be grateful you can afford it. Where I live, I couldn't even dream of affording a house unless I settle for a 3 hour commute or something ridiculous :D
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @clarebalding: Phew: “@WorldRugby: Having given his #RWCFinal medal to young fan last night, @SonnyBWilliams presented with another at #WorldRugbyAwards”
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    I'm really torn, I've got 200k to spend and just like the weather down here. I could buy something teeny - does sunshine make it worth it?
    RobD said:

Charles said:

Be grateful you can afford it. Where I live, I couldn't even dream of affording a house unless I settle for a 3 hour commute or something ridiculous :D
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,542

ydoethur said:

I have not called for a ban! I have said that it was a good thing they were only sold for a few days around the 5th. I am delighted for you that you are not having a problem. However, I am and I am sick of it.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I'm not convinced by comparisons of Fianna Fail and suggestions they are a potential model for the SNP to follow. On the most basic points:

1) They failed to win the Irish Civil War, a war they themselves had launched in a futile bid to get better peace terms out of the British government. However, in the meanwhile they had managed to kill or otherwise incapacitate all of Ireland's ablest politicians or administrators apart from Richard Mulcahy and de Valera himself (accepting for the moment that while he had many admirable qualities, Cosgrave was not really a first-rank politician) which severely retarded Ireland's political development;

2) They failed to gain Irish independence, although they took some fairly important steps towards it;

3) Their mere existence made the already slender chances of ending Partition absolutely zero.

Surely the SNP would want something better than that, both for themselves and for Scotland?

FF was formed by Dev in 1926, as he disagreed with the ongoing abstentionism (WRT the Dail) of the Anti-Treaty SF (as was).
    Fianna Fail was formed out of the Anti-Treaty forces of the civil war. What is now Sinn Fein was the breakaway. Cummann na Gaedhael (as it then was) were the pro-Treaty forces, but later merged with other parties including the controversial 'Blueshirt' movement to form Fine Gael in the early 1930s.

SF founded 1905

"Officials" formed in 1970 - split due to Ideology and Armed struggle - third split

Republican SF/Continuity IRA formed in 1986 - pro-abstentionist faction - fourth split

32 County Sovereignty Movement/Real IRA formed in 1997 - anti-Ceasefire faction - fifth split

It is a little more complicated. The first SF (1905; adopted the name in 1908) was moribund after a decade. But the brand was so good that UK authorities blamed 1916 on Sinn Féiners and that was the name under which the loose coalition of republicans in the late 1910s united. Then that Sinn Féin split in the civil war - one faction had become CnaG - the other became inoperative when they started fighting the government. But Dev refounded it after the war, which was the beginning of its dominance by the IRA. Probably the best claimant to being the continuing post-Civil War Sinn Féin party is the tiny Workers' Party (the Officials).
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293

OT. Having seen the Sonny Boy Williams video this afternoon I do hope he gets some form of official recognition from the World Rugby organisation for what must be one of the greatest adverts for the game and its reputation I have ever seen.

You not think there might be a down side to this? It was cute this time, will it be cute at the next games when a thousand kids try the same thing?

He has just made the crowd control of future rugby games a far more difficult job.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Leicester is a city that very much benefits from the presence of the Indian community. Diwali is fab and I am sorry I don't get a chance to get over there more often at this time of year.
    The Golden Mile has had quite a makeover recently. There has been a great effort to get it ready for Diwali.

I must admit to finding the (pan?)-theology of Hinduism incomprehensible, but the simple pleasure and beauty of the festival shines through.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,958
    ydoethur said:

It has been very easy for adults to buy fireworks my entire sentient life (i.e. 1990s onwards). What changes do you mean?

Also - spoilsport. They're great fun!
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,220
    notme said:

You not think there might be a down side to this? It was cute this time, will it be cute at the next games when a thousand kids try the same thing?

He has just made the crowd control of future rugby games a far more difficult job.
    Agreed. Security personnel can be kill joys but they do have a job to do and while someone like Williams probably thinks he can look after himself, the Monica Seles incident shows what can happen.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

The Golden Mile has had quite a makeover recently. There has been a great effort to get it ready for Diwali.

I must admit to finding the (pan?)-theology of Hinduism incomprehensible, but the simple pleasure and beauty of the festival shines through.
    Some religions it seems arent inherently aggressive...
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @IanDunt: Spectre was very dull, like a sticker album of classic Bond moments. In a few days, I doubt I'll be able to remember anything that happened.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

ydoethur said:

It has been very easy for adults to buy fireworks my entire sentient life (i.e. 1990s onwards). What changes do you mean?

I have said, three times, that I do not mind fireworks for short set periods. In fact, I like them as much as anyone else. I have also said that I am fed up with loud bangs every night for weeks. That does not seem unreasonable, at least to me. Even though I live in a large town and accept that if I want absolute silence I would be better off in the Welsh Highlands, should I and everyone else have to put up with weeks and weeks of loud distracting noise?

Under Blair, shops were not permitted to sell fireworks until a week before bonfire night, precisely for this reason, and restrictions were placed on what types of fireworks could be sold to the general public (rather than licensed events). Those restrictions have been relaxed, largely at the behest of supermarkets. This is the result. And it isn't fun for those of us who have to listen rather than those who are watching.
  • Options
    notme said:

I don't believe that for a second. It was a great gesture and like the boy running up to him was clearly a spur of the moment reaction that reflected his true self.

Well done to him.
  • Options

notme said:

I don't believe that for a second. It was a great gesture and like the boy running up to him was clearly a spur of the moment reaction that reflected his true self.

Well done to him.
    Pitch invasions are not fun. Yes it was a great gesture. A great gesture which will have to be stamped upon on future. This is a minor nightmare situation for security.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    FPT:

SouthamObserver: "The bottom line will be turnout. The lower it is, the higher the chance Out will win."

All the evidence is that working-class voters are more likely to vote Leave and they tend to have a lower turnout rate, so I'm not sure that statement is correct.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Mortimer said:

ydoethur said:

I have said, three times, that I do not mind fireworks for short set periods. In fact, I like them as much as anyone else. I have also said that I am fed up with loud bangs every night for weeks. That does not seem unreasonable, at least to me. Even though I live in a large town and accept that if I want absolute silence I would be better off in the Welsh Highlands, should I and everyone else have to put up with weeks and weeks of loud distracting noise?

Under Blair, shops were not permitted to sell fireworks until a week before bonfire night, precisely for this reason, and restrictions were placed on what types of fireworks could be sold to the general public (rather than licensed events). Those restrictions have been relaxed, largely at the behest of supermarkets. This is the result. And it isn't fun for those of us who have to listen rather than those who are watching.
    Not true

Under the 2004 Fireworks regulations fireworks could be sold at specific times of year including from October 15th to November 10th for Bonfire night. That is exactly the same as now. The start date for the sale of fireworks for Bonfire night has not changed between the 2004 and 2010 regulations.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2004/1836/regulation/9/made
  • Options
    edited November 2015

ydoethur said:

Mortimer said:

ydoethur said:

Not true

Under the 2004 Fireworks regulations fireworks could be sold at specific times of year including from October 15th to November 10th for Bonfire night. That is exactly the same as now. The start date for the sale of fireworks for Bonfire night has not changed between the 2004 and 2010 regulations.

Then I'm baffled, as we certainly had fireworks before the 15th. How did they get hold of them?

EDIT - I'm pretty sure as well I saw them on sale in Asda near the beginning of last month, because I remember being very surprised to see them so early.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Mortimer said:

ydoethur said:

Not true

Then I'm baffled, as we certainly had fireworks before the 15th. How did they get hold of them?
    Bought last year maybe and kept
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    edited November 2015
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/nov/01/james-cleverly-tory-mp-braintree-marijuana-online-porn

Good on him for just being honest and I like his reply to the journo tweeting about it.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,220
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Mortimer said:

ydoethur said:

Not true

EDIT - I'm pretty sure as well I saw them on sale in Asda near the beginning of last month, because I remember being very surprised to see them so early.
    Kept from last year? And would it really be a surprise if that law was being broken?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Charles said:

To be determined whether I can actually afford it...

(Soon to be no longer of Kensington :( )
  • Options

I'm really torn, I've got 200k to spend and just like the weather down here. I could buy something teeny - does sunshine make it worth it?

RobD said:

Charles said:

How often are you going to use it? Usually better value to rent
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Charles said:

RobD said:

Charles said:

I sympathise Charles. I've just gone through the colossal trauma of buying my own first house. It's not even the money (the huge advantage of Cannock is that it's cheap to live here, though I am equally sympathetic to RobD's plight, one I had three years ago) - it's the sheer time and effort involved that is slowly driving me round the bend.
  • Options
    EPG said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

1) They failed to win the Irish Civil War, a war they themselves had launched in a futile bid to

SF founded 1905

It is a little more complicated. The first SF (1905; adopted the name in 1908) was moribund after a decade. But the brand was so good that UK authorities blamed 1916 on Sinn Féiners and that was the name under which the loose coalition of republicans in the late 1910s united. Then that Sinn Féin split in the civil war - one faction had become CnaG - the other became inoperative when they started fighting the government. But Dev refounded it after the war, which was the beginning of its dominance by the IRA. Probably the best claimant to being the continuing post-Civil War Sinn Féin party is the tiny Workers' Party (the Officials).
    Not if you account for their Leftist ideology!

"Officials" chronology:

Split from Provos in 1970

INLA/IRSP formed in 1974 - Anti-Officials' Ceasefire faction

Officials renamed "Sinn Fein the Workers' Party" in 1977

Further renamed simply "Workers' Party" in 1982

Democratic Left formed in 1992 - split over Marxism and latent paramilitarism

DL then merged with Irish Labour in 1999
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Mortimer said:

ydoethur said:

Not true

They could easily have been bought either last year or for one of the other events - Chinese New Year being the most recent before this year's bonfire night.

Of course they could also have been bought illegally. I am sure there is probably a roaring trade in fireworks outside of the 'open season'.

It might also be that the fireworks you have been hearing are part of official displays. There is an all year round special licence for specialist retailers who cannot sell to the public but can sell to accredited organisations for special events like sporting or celebratory events.
  • Options
    edited November 2015

Not if you account for their Leftist ideology!

"Officials" chronology:

Split from Provos in 1970

INLA/IRSP formed in 1974 - Anti-Officials' Ceasefire faction

Officials renamed "Sinn Fein the Workers' Party" in 1977

Further renamed simply "Workers' Party" in 1982

Democratic Left formed in 1992 - split over Marxism and latent paramilitarism

DL then merged with Irish Labour in 1999

Irish political parties appear to make the history of merchant banking in the UK seem positively straightforward. Compared to all these groups, the story of Williams and Glyn or the National Provincial is a cinch.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Charles said:

RobD said:

Charles said:

I sympathise Charles. I've just gone through the colossal trauma of buying my own first house. It's not even the money (the huge advantage of Cannock is that it's cheap to live here, though I am equally sympathetic to RobD's plight, one I had three years ago) - it's the sheer time and effort involved that is slowly driving me round the bend.
    I find that a good solicitor, although expensive, makes life so much easier
  • Options

They could easily have been bought either last year or for one of the other events - Chinese New Year being the most recent before this year's bonfire night.

Of course they could also have been bought illegally. I am sure there is probably a roaring trade in fireworks outside of the 'open season'.

It might also be that the fireworks you have been hearing are part of official displays. There is an all year round special licence for specialist retailers who cannot sell to the public but can sell to accredited organisations for special events like sporting or celebratory events.

That might indeed explain it. Still very annoying.

I think after last year's tragic events the illegal trade might be a bit subdued this year. Although come to think of it, that might be why it was a bit quieter last year.
  • Options
    I spent thousands of hours fixing my house after earning thousands of hours of work time to make it possible.

It was the best time of my life, I learned and applied so many skills and felt pride as a result. I'm about to do it again for the fourth time and looking forward to it. When visitors marvel and I can faux modesty, golly it's :smiley:
    ydoethur said:

Charles said:

RobD said:

Charles said:

• Options
    Charles said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

RobD said:

Charles said:

I find that a good solicitor, although expensive, makes life so much easier
    My solicitor was indeed worth every penny of his quite considerable fee. It was the mortgage company that caused the problems. Good luck with your purchase.

With that, I am off. Have a good week everyone.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/nov/01/james-cleverly-tory-mp-braintree-marijuana-online-porn

Good on him for just being honest and I like his reply to the journo tweeting about it.

Yes, a round of applause for James Cleverly being an adult - and for doubling down in the face of a cheap clickbait headline.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    YouGov: Do you think it was a good thing the death penalty was abolished in Britain?

Yes - 42%
    No - 42%
    Don't Know - 16

YouGov, August 2014: % in favour of re-introducing the death penalty by Party

UKIP - 73%
    CON - 54%
    LAB - 35%
    LD - 35%
  • Options
    At the Mexican grand prix the podium winners have just been given sombreros to wear by the organisers and yet the University of East Anglia (who know so much better) banned them as being "racist".

Western 'society' deserves everything it gets now we've surrendered so completely to the lefty hand-wringer brigade.
  • Options

YouGov: Do you think it was a good thing the death penalty was abolished in Britain?

Yes - 42%
    No - 42%
    Don't Know - 16

UKIP - 73%
    CON - 54%
    LAB - 35%
    LD - 35%

I didn't get that YouGov, so they lost one pro-death penalty vote there.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

At the Mexican grand prix the podium winners have just been given sombreros to wear by the organisers and yet the University of East Anglia (who know so much better) banned them as being "racist".

Western 'society' deserves everything it gets now we've surrendered so completely to the lefty hand-wringer brigade.

The University of East Anglia, famous for their respected work on climate change ;-)
  • Options
    Whomever leaked the ClimateGate hoard deserves a gong.

GeoffM said:

The University of East Anglia, famous for their respected work on climate change ;-)
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,069
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Danny565 said:

FPT:

Edinburgh is Labour's only chance of salvaging any dignity in Scotland next year. It's the only part of the country with a substantial young English-born population (the Highlands and the Borders also have a lot of English-borns, but I think they tend to be wealthy retirees).

Edinburgh is the most Tory and Unionist city in Scotland,
    "No" vote was larger in:

Orkney 67.2%
    Borders 66.6
    Dumfries & Galloway 65.7
    Shetland 63.7
    East Renfrewshire 63.2
    East Lothian 61.7
    East Dunbartonshire 61.2
    then:
    Edinburgh 61.1%

So it is indeed the most Unionist city in Scotland? Unless Lerwick has been promoted while I was distracted?
    Kirkwall is a city in the sense of having a cathedral. And it is in Orkney.

'Burgh' is the usual term up here. Though Edinburgh, Dundee, Glasgow, Aberdeen used to be called cities of county status (I forget the exact term).

More generally, don't count on location of birth. It's not a reliable guide to voting. There are a lot of English-born SNP members, MSPs and at least one Holyrood cabinet minister IIRC.

More important, I have always thought, is socioeconomic class (elderly cottage-owning retirees are Tory anyway) and unfamiliarity with Scottish politics (English-domiciled students may not have looked into the options and may tend to vote Labour or Green as at home).

• Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669

GeoffM said:

I wonder if they do their computing 'in the cloud'? :)
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,069

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Danny565 said:

FPT:

Edinburgh is Labour's only chance of salvaging any dignity in Scotland next year. It's the only part of the country with a substantial young English-born population (the Highlands and the Borders also have a lot of English-borns, but I think they tend to be wealthy retirees).

Edinburgh is the most Tory and Unionist city in Scotland,
    "No" vote was larger in:

Orkney 67.2%
    Borders 66.6
    Dumfries & Galloway 65.7
    Shetland 63.7
    East Renfrewshire 63.2
    East Lothian 61.7
    East Dunbartonshire 61.2
    then:
    Edinburgh 61.1%

As pointed out I was referring to largest city. Edinburgh voted 61.1% No as you stated, Perth 60.2% No, Stirling 59.8% No, Aberdeen 58.6% No, Inverness 52.9% No. Dundee voted 57.3% Yes, Glasgow 53.5% Yes
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_independence_referendum,_2014
    Just pointing out that there were more Unionist council areas!
    Also if we are discussing Holyrood then we cannot consider Edinburgh on its own but as part of the Lothians for the list, and that is a far more varied area, complicated by the absence of the late lamented Margo Macdonald who had a very strong personal vote. By all means one can discuss the Edinburgh FPTP constituency results, but there is also a contribution which Edinburgh makes to list seats, and to be honest I wouldn't like to predict that.

• Options
    GeoffM said:

Fox jr is at UEA and the Sombrero ban was roundly mocked by most students. Student politicians have pretty much always been plonkers as I recall!
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

GeoffM said:

Well they do their climate work 'on a fagpacket' so anything's possible!
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Yes, this conclusively proves that the only racism in Western 'society' is anti-white racism. PB rejoices.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

GeoffM said:

I think they let a bit too much daylight onto their results, and overheated them as a result!
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Good on Tory MPs for breaking the law.

I'm sure PB would be raucously cheering a Corbynite MP who admitted to a crime.
  • Options

GeoffM said:

Fox jr is at UEA and the Sombrero ban was roundly mocked by most students. Student politicians have pretty much always been plonkers as I recall!
    Then 10-15 years later those same plonkers who were student politicians end up as real politicians....
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

GeoffM said:

The only thing I can remember of the university when I visited it was the Brutalist architecture.
  • Options
    EPG said:

If being a supporter of terrorism was properly prosecuted then the LOTO and the Shadow Chancellor would be just two more bare bums in a prison shower right now.
  • Options
    EPG said:

GeoffM said:

Yes, this conclusively proves that the only racism in Western 'society' is anti-white racism. PB rejoices.
    I didn't see it that way initially but at second glance you're probably right.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

GeoffM said:

The only thing I can remember of the university when I visited it was the Brutalist architecture.
    I visited Norwich and Great Yarmouth some years ago. East Anglia as a whole is an odd place. It's miles from anywhere.
  • Options
    EPG said:

The disturbing answer was the "snog, marry avoid". Snog Theresa May and marry Yvette Cooper shows a seriously disturbed mind.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Yes - 42%
    No - 42%
    Don't Know - 16

UKIP - 73%
    CON - 54%
    LAB - 35%
    LD - 35%

Don't worry Geoff I didn't get it either so my vehement opposition to the death penalty would have cancelled your support out. Consider us following a Yougov pairing system :-)
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

MP_SE said:

GeoffM said:

I visited Norwich and Great Yarmouth some years ago. East Anglia as a whole is an odd place. It's miles from anywhere.
    I did Colchester to Norwich by train for the first time yesterday.
  • Options
    EPG said:

If he admitted to smoking dope and watching porn then absolutely. It is not about which party you support, it is about being grown up enough to answer such questions honestly.
  • Options

Tim_B said:

MP_SE said:

GeoffM said:

Does that mean you'll miss work tomorrow coming home?
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Yes - 42%
    No - 42%
    Don't Know - 16

UKIP - 73%
    CON - 54%
    LAB - 35%
    LD - 35%

"An eye for an eye and the whole world turns blind"
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    The problem with student politics is that some of them go straight into proper politics without doing much else or changing one bit.

Notable that the Israelis have clearly decided that their security zone regarding Syria isn't just around and about the Golan. They've reportedly bombed missile stores to the North of Damascus this evening.

Wondering where the mighty Russian airpower was.
  • Options
    :cold_sweat: so true
    Y0kel said:

The problem with student politics is that some of them go straight into proper politics without doing much else or changing one bit.

• Options

GeoffM said:

Yes - 42%
    No - 42%
    Don't Know - 16

UKIP - 73%
    CON - 54%
    LAB - 35%
    LD - 35%

Don't worry Geoff I didn't get it either so my vehement opposition to the death penalty would have cancelled your support out. Consider us following a Yougov pairing system :-)
    I genuinely like the pairing idea :)
    It's limited to that, though. The death penalty is about the only topic I've ever disagreed with you over in all the time I've been reading your comments.
  • Options

EPG said:

The disturbing answer was the "snog, marry avoid". Snog Theresa May and marry Yvette Cooper shows a seriously disturbed mind.
    Oh I don't know. I think Cooper would be dirtier in bed than May.
    He probably got it the right way around.
  • Options
    Top piece Richard.

On topic, I miss Brian Cowen. My interest in Irish politics has waned since he left office.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    edited November 2015
    ydoethur said:

Mortimer said:

ydoethur said:

We used to live within excellent earshot of an army firing range (small arms). The continual volleys did get a bit tiresome sometimes, but much of the time we hardly registered it, being so accustomed to the noise.

But fireworks nowadays have an awful lot more bang than that. It would get on my nerves, I'm sure.

(edited for spelling)
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Oh dear.
    Merseyside plod in trouble over football rape Twitter comments

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-34692679
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Golly. Mrs May is Lucy Liu
    GeoffM said:

EPG said:

• Options
    GeoffM said:

EPG said:

During the election campaign, following the debate, I nearly did a thread using this picture, with the headline

http://cdn2.spectator.co.uk/files/2015/04/hu.jpg

"Worst episode of Snog, Marry, Avoid"
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

Yes - 42%
    No - 42%
    Don't Know - 16

UKIP - 73%
    CON - 54%
    LAB - 35%
    LD - 35%

It's limited to that, though. The death penalty is about the only topic I've ever disagreed with you over in all the time I've been reading your comments.
    I used to be pro and am now anti. I've previously explained here about my experience with the death penalty.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

EPG said:

If being a supporter of terrorism was properly prosecuted then the LOTO and the Shadow Chancellor would be just two more bare bums in a prison shower right now.
    We're all entitled to our erotic phantasies I guess.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

MP_SE said:

GeoffM said:

Does that mean you'll miss work tomorrow coming home?
    No, it was "out and back" - left Liverpool Street at Midday, back by 4.20 pm. Spent about 40 mins at Norwich station, reasonably impressive exterior. Saw the River Yare outside, as well as Norwich FC's stadium from a distance from the platform.

• Options
    Tim_B said:

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

Yes - 42%
    No - 42%
    Don't Know - 16

UKIP - 73%
    CON - 54%
    LAB - 35%
    LD - 35%

I used to be pro and am now anti. I've previously explained here about my experience with the death penalty.
    I've always been anti and would quite happily take the vote away from people who are pro death penalty.

Is the reason why I could never vote for Priti Patel as Tory leader.
  • Options
    I watch a lot of CBSReality here and whilst not being a hanging/flogging type - I can see plenty of examples of where I'd be in favour of it.

The more I ponder it - the more I identify with the US as a whole over the last 20yrs. Maybe I should bite the bullet and just buy that Winnebago!? :wink:
    Tim_B said:

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

Yes - 42%
    No - 42%
    Don't Know - 16

UKIP - 73%
    CON - 54%
    LAB - 35%
    LD - 35%

• Options

GeoffM said:

EPG said:

During the election campaign, following the debate, I nearly did a thread using this picture, with the headline

http://cdn2.spectator.co.uk/files/2015/04/hu.jpg

"Worst episode of Snog, Marry, Avoid"
    I've seen the full video of that one. The "window cleaner" is about to walk in.
  • Options

On the other hand, Avoid Isabel Oakeshott suggests he has a firm grip of reality.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

Tim_B said:

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

Yes - 42%
    No - 42%
    Don't Know - 16

UKIP - 73%
    CON - 54%
    LAB - 35%
    LD - 35%

I've always been anti and would quite happily take the vote away from people who are pro death penalty.

Let's have a referendum on the death penalty I say.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited November 2015
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

Yes - 42%
    No - 42%
    Don't Know - 16

UKIP - 73%
    CON - 54%
    LAB - 35%
    LD - 35%

Yes, I recall your post on the subject. We are all shaped by our experiences, as am I in this matter. Let me make very clear at this point that I respect your views and the reasons for them completely. I have no intention of insulting you by attempting to debate the issue.

For my part, I was very close to someone who suffered in a situation where she might have lived if she'd been allowed to carry a gun for self defence. That shapes my views on gun control and how in areas where guns are criminalised, only criminals carry guns.

The State refuses to let us defend ourselves. The State says that it will defend us. It cannot and does not. So without this protection the only thing it might offer instead is to deter and avenge. And it refuses to do that either. So what use is the State?
  • Options

On the other hand, Avoid Isabel Oakeshott suggests he has a firm grip of reality.
    I agree. He is not the full moon!

I can think of a number of snoggable politicians, and plenty to avoid. Marry is a bit more tricky. Perhaps Stella Creasy. I should imagine she would not be too hard on the eyes or ears over breakfast.

• Options
    Given the very precise nature of DNA evidence nowadays for certain crimes - I'd have little problem with it.
    AndyJS said:

Tim_B said:

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

Yes - 42%
    No - 42%
    Don't Know - 16

UKIP - 73%
    CON - 54%
    LAB - 35%
    LD - 35%

Let's have a referendum on the death penalty I say.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,189
    Tim_B said:

MP_SE said:

GeoffM said:

And several decades.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Tim_B said:

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

Yes - 42%
    No - 42%
    Don't Know - 16

UKIP - 73%
    CON - 54%
    LAB - 35%
    LD - 35%

Yes, I recall your post on the subject. We are all shaped by our experiences, as am I in this matter. Let me make very clear at this point that I respect your views and the reasons for them completely. I have no intention of insulting you by attempting to debate the issue.

For my part, I was very close to someone who suffered in a situation where she might have lived if she'd been allowed to carry a gun for self defence. That shapes my views on gun control and how in areas where guns are criminalised, only criminals carry guns.

The State refuses to let us defend ourselves. The State says that it will defend us. It cannot and does not. So without this protection the only thing it might offer instead is to deter and avenge. And it refuses to do that either. So what use is the State?
    Does the death penalty in the US provide a nice, peaceful gun-free society?
  • Options

Tim_B said:

MP_SE said:

GeoffM said:

And several decades.
    Norwich is A Fine City.
  • Options

Tim_B said:

MP_SE said:

GeoffM said:

And several decades.
    Steady on! The GER to Norwich was electrified in 1986 :)
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,208

RobD said:

Charles said:

Move to god's country and get a nice 4 bed detached.
  • Options

GeoffM said:

Tim_B said:

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

Yes - 42%
    No - 42%
    Don't Know - 16

UKIP - 73%
    CON - 54%
    LAB - 35%
    LD - 35%

I'm not sure what relevance that daft question has to anything I said in a reply specifically directed to @Tim_B
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

Tim_B said:

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

Yes - 42%
    No - 42%
    Don't Know - 16

UKIP - 73%
    CON - 54%
    LAB - 35%
    LD - 35%

I'm not sure what relevance that daft question has to anything I said in a reply specifically directed to @Tim_B
    Daft? Yes or no will do.

BTW do they have the death penalty on The Rock? (aside from events there in 1988, natch)
  • Options

That was probably his worst answer. She's gorgeous.
  • Options
    I look forward to Sunil applying his considerable intellect to PB, rather than saying the same things again and again.
    GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

Tim_B said:

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

Yes - 42%
    No - 42%
    Don't Know - 16

UKIP - 73%
    CON - 54%
    LAB - 35%
    LD - 35%

• Options
    You know I love you, but change the record. You're down a cul de sac for months now.

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

Tim_B said:

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

Yes - 42%
    No - 42%
    Don't Know - 16

UKIP - 73%
    CON - 54%
    LAB - 35%
    LD - 35%

Daft? Yes or no will do.

BTW do they have the death penalty on The Rock? (aside from events there in 1988, natch)
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,616
    edited November 2015

I look forward to Sunil applying his considerable intellect to PB, rather than saying the same things again and again.

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

Tim_B said:

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

Yes - 42%
    No - 42%
    Don't Know - 16

UKIP - 73%
    CON - 54%
    LAB - 35%
    LD - 35%

Change what record? I believe I haven't defined my position on State Murd..., um, I mean the death penalty on PB before!