Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Flooding the Lords with 100s of new peers so several millio

SystemSystem Posts: 11,685
edited October 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Flooding the Lords with 100s of new peers so several million people can be made poorer doesn’t sound like smart politics

Today, of course, the House of Lords gets to decide whether George Osborne’s controversial tax credits curtailment plan will go forward. Because of the way this is being pursued through Parliament, as a statutory instrument, this is a rare occasion when the Upper House can, if it wants to, block a major part of government policy.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294
    edited October 2015
    First!

The problem is democracy, which causes governments to go in for mass bribery, whether we are talking about Tax Credits or the Pensions Triple Lock.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I do hope the Lords vote to block the tax credits reforms. First, the tax credits will need to be rethought. Secondly, interfering with money affairs is a guaranteed way to put reform of the House of Lords right at the top of the agenda.

Win-win, so far as I'm concerned.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited October 2015
    Third?

OWNBPM !!!!!!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    England need just 4.5 runs per over to win
  • Options
    Labour need to deny the Tories just around 20 seats to deny them power
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Morning all.

When does today’s vote take place?
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    Today, of course, the House of Lords gets to decide whether George Osborne’s controversial tax credits curtailment plan will go forward for now.

If the Lords do block this then Osborne should bring the measure back in the Budget.

I don't buy that the public doesn't support the measure. Most will have no idea of the details and I expect that the question could easily be phrased differently to produce an result supportive of the principles.

The coalition of losers and handwringers in the Lords certainly have a right to their say and I don't think that Osborne has been tactically astute in using the method he has to introduce the change. All the same, the government should hold firm. There will be plenty within the Tory party watching to see if Osborne has the steel necessary of a leader.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,997
    Pulpstar said:

England need just 4.5 runs per over to win

Only 5 wickets left though.
  • Options

Today, of course, the House of Lords gets to decide whether George Osborne’s controversial tax credits curtailment plan will go forward for now.

If the Lords do block this then Osborne should bring the measure back in the Budget.

I don't buy that the public doesn't support the measure. Most will have no idea of the details and I expect that the question could easily be phrased differently to produce an result supportive of the principles.

The coalition of losers and handwringers in the Lords certainly have a right to their say and I don't think that Osborne has been tactically astute in using the method he has to introduce the change. All the same, the government should hold firm. There will be plenty within the Tory party watching to see if Osborne has the steel necessary of a leader.

Not least yourself :(

• Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    antifrank said:

I do hope the Lords vote to block the tax credits reforms. First, the tax credits will need to be rethought. Secondly, interfering with money affairs is a guaranteed way to put reform of the House of Lords right at the top of the agenda.

It seems very wrong that the Lords has a Labour-Lib Dem majority when most of the public voted for right wing parties. Equally, it seems ridiculous that an upper house can be easily overridden.
  • Options

Not least yourself :(

Watching, certainly - any good commentator should be. I don't think it's a secret though that I don't think that he should be the next leader.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Not once the new boundaries come in, they won't.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Not once the new boundaries come in, they won't.
    See my previous comment ^_~
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307
    I am a bit with Antifrank on this one. It is long, long past time that the Lords were abolished. Today, after all the faffing about for the last 100 years or so, we might see a very positive step in that direction.
  • Options
    That is surely Buttler out of the next test as well now. He needs to go back to County cricket and remember how to bat.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    DavidL said:

I am a bit with Antifrank on this one. It is long, long past time that the Lords were abolished. Today, after all the faffing about for the last 100 years or so, we might see a very positive step in that direction.

I am not with you, what replaces it will in all probability be much worse. The numbers need culling that's for sure.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946
    Have to disagree Mike - if the vote overrules then it will be liberal-left entitlement that has precipitated this crisis. Disrespect for the elected government by an undemocratic revising chamber will likely result in a few hundred constituency chairmen having an extra Christmas present.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    JEO said:

antifrank said:

It seems very wrong that the Lords has a Labour-Lib Dem majority when most of the public voted for right wing parties. Equally, it seems ridiculous that an upper house can be easily overridden.
    I think you are judging the Lords by the greater powers of other second chambers. The Lords *should* be easy to sideline as it's a revising chamber. Or at least it had evolved nicely into one in the elegant way that the constitution adapts itself to changing circumstances. It's only when the constitutional vandals go in (see also Devolution) that things get broken.

As an aside, does anyone know how the relative sizes of our two chambers compare internationally? There's a rumour that Sunil has a graph but he refuses to share it.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    DavidL said:

I would happily abolish the Lords entirely, but isn't this just what the Lords is for? A revising chamber sending back for reconsideration some poorly thought through proposals?
  • Options

DavidL said:

I would happily abolish the Lords entirely, but isn't this just what the Lords is for? A revising chamber sending back for reconsideration some poorly thought through proposals?
    No. This is government economic policy. Revising this costs serious money and that is not the Lord's concern because they are not elected. If these cuts are not made other cuts will need to be found. That is not the Lord's concern either.

I suspect that some element of transitional relief will be necessary but again that is not the Lord's concern. At the moment the Commons have rejected that, twice. That is the end of the matter until the government itself decides to think again.
  • Options
    An unelected Upper House suits politicians better than it suits voters.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,249
    The best way for Osborne to deal with this would be to put forward transitional arrangements for the poorest for the 2-3 years before the higher minimum wage kicks in. That would draw all the sting out of the opposition, and could be spun as governmental benevolence rather than a U-turn. It is significant that most people are talking about the impact of the changes and nobody is defending the principle of tax credits. I imagine that is simply because you cannot defend the indefensible.

This thread does rather presuppose that Osborne will run for the leadership. I am still not convinced. He appears to be willing to do unpopular things he believes to be right (even though he then frequently changes his mind) which may be the attribute of a leader, but not of an ambitious politician. Look at Brown, who would only ever do things that he thought would buy him votes (e.g. tax credits, of course)!
    Pulpstar said:

Or alternatively, Labour need to retain just over half their seats in order to remain the official opposition. Under Corbyn, that is a more realistic goal.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

DavidL said:

I am not with you, what replaces it will in all probability be much worse. The numbers need culling that's for sure.
    Yes, this. What we have now is far from ideal. The only thing worse than the current mess will be what ends up getting imposed on us as a replacement - rather like Clegg's insane plan last time round.
  • Options
    The questions asked about the tax-credit issue seem to be about the process and transition arrangements, rather than whether it is the right way to go.

FWIW, I think it is the wrong direction. I'd introduce all of the Beechcroft reforms, and leave the minimum wage unchanged. I'd alter tax credits into a 'negative income tax'.

A 'negative income tax' was the trendy topic when I was an economics student 45 years ago. The idea is not that dissimilar to 'tax credits'. The up-side is that a negative income tax is an efficient, fair and cheap way of directing welfare cash to the most needy. Properly structured, it is possible to minimise the effect of the 'poverty trap'. Further, unlike most welfare expenditure, it does not prevent people managing their own resouces. The '16 hours/week' nonsense would be eliminated.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

JEO said:

antifrank said:

I think you are judging the Lords by the greater powers of other second chambers. The Lords *should* be easy to sideline as it's a revising chamber. Or at least it had evolved nicely into one in the elegant way that the constitution adapts itself to changing circumstances. It's only when the constitutional vandals go in (see also Devolution) that things get broken.

As an aside, does anyone know how the relative sizes of our two chambers compare internationally? There's a rumour that Sunil has a graph but he refuses to share it.
    The House of Commons is about average in size for an elected chamber, maybe nudging the higher end. The House of Lords is I think I am right in saying more than twice the size of the next largest bicameral chamber (although I think it's smaller than the Congress of the PRC or than the weird thing they have in North Korea, and that's not a reference to Kim Jong Un's waistline).
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,984
    Good morning, everyone.

Rather enjoyed the race. Almost ran into the start of Homeland, though :p
  • Options

The questions asked about the tax-credit issue seem to be about the process and transition arrangements, rather than whether it is the right way to go.

FWIW, I think it is the wrong direction. I'd introduce all of the Beechcroft reforms, and leave the minimum wage unchanged. I'd alter tax credits into a 'negative income tax'.

A 'negative income tax' was the trendy topic when I was an economics student 45 years ago. The idea is not that dissimilar to 'tax credits'. The up-side is that a negative income tax is an efficient, fair and cheap way of directing welfare cash to the most needy. Properly structured, it is possible to minimise the effect of the 'poverty trap'. Further, unlike most welfare expenditure, it does not prevent people managing their own resouces. The '16 hours/week' nonsense would be eliminated.

The 16 hours a week nonsense will largely disappear with Universal Credit (due to be introduced shortly after the Chilcot Inquiry reports) but the problem of very high marginal rates will continue and would also affect negative income tax schemes (which would also be a nightmare for the millions of self employed).
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,031
    The House of Lords needs reforming.

But we won't get it, as the politicians want to reform it to their own advantage, and therefore no agreement can ever be reached.

Instead, it's time to convert it into the one organisation that can truly do its job well as a revising chamber.

A house of experts.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,567
    ydoethur said:

GeoffM said:

JEO said:

antifrank said:

The House of Commons is about average in size for an elected chamber, maybe nudging the higher end. The House of Lords is I think I am right in saying more than twice the size of the next largest bicameral chamber (although I think it's smaller than the Congress of the PRC or than the weird thing they have in North Korea, and that's not a reference to Kim Jong Un's waistline).
    The numbers are irrelevant.

The Lords does a pretty good job at quite a low price.

But the ones we need to get rid of are the useless Ministers who were chucked upstairs to get them out of the way.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    F1: not sure when the post-race piece will be up. Having some pipes fiddled with today, and that'll take a few hours...
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited October 2015
    It's the dishonesty of the government that I find most perplexing. On the one hand they say it'll save up to thirty billion on the other no one will be worse off.

It's a pity Corbyn has been such a distraction. This new Tory government unencumbered by the civilizing influence of the Lib Dems is the closest I remember to the days of Thatcher
  • Options
    It seems that Germany is importing sectarian violence:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/10/25/refugees-germany-fight_n_8383520.html?utm_hp_ref=uk

On related matters, why are schools like this allowed to exist in the UK?

Tablighi Jamaat is an ultra-conservative and separatist group which believes that Muslims should not integrate into non-Muslim society. Its current UK headquarters, in Dewsbury, West Yorkshire, includes a school whose pupils are banned from watching televison, playing music or speaking to outsiders. The Newham mosque was to have been its new headquarters, with residential facilities, a library, visitor centre and sports centre as well as the mosque.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/11953462/Islamic-group-blocked-from-building-Britains-biggest-mosque-in-London.html
  • Options
    Great opinion piece in today's Times by Matt Ridley. Lib Dem and Labour MPs should respect the will of the people in the same way that Salisbury's Tory Lords did under Atlee, and self reform of the Lords is necessary.

• Options
    GeoffM said:

JEO said:

antifrank said:

I think the Lords should be a check on the Commons. Being easy to sideline prevents the Commons having any checks on it. Given the control of the cabinet over the Commons, that means there are very little checks on any Prime Minister with a majority.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,249
    Morning all,

All quite incredible. It was obvious on the evening of the June budget that the tax credit thing was a disaster-in-waiting. I don't know why it has taken so long for MPs to catch up with what was being proposed.

As Rawnsley was saying in Observer yesterday, Osborne is in an enormous hole and is still digging. IMHO his future as a credible leadership candidate stands on the brink this month.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Great opinion piece in today's Times by Matt Ridley. Lib Dem and Labour MPs should respect the will of the people in the same way that Salisbury's Tory Lords did under Atlee, and self reform of the Lords is necessary.

Afraid I don't have much time for Camborne's sudden discovery that the Lords needs reform. Not only did they engineer no change in the last parliament out of petty point scoring with the LibDems but the PM has always said reform is a 3rd term objective.
  • Options
    Roger said:

It's the dishonesty of the government that I find most perplexing. On the one hand they say it'll save up to thirty billion on the other no one will be worse off.

It's a pity Corbyn has been such a distraction. This new Tory government unencumbered by the civilizing influence of the Lib Dems is the closest I remember to the days of Thatcher

I think their idea is that the new higher minimum wage will ultimately more than make up for the loss from tax credits, and the new universal credit will sort out many of the complexities of the system. However, as tax credits are being cut quickly, and the minimum wage raised slowly (and God alone knows when we'll get UC given all the delays) there will be a transitional period that actually will be very painful for quite a large number of people. That's the issue Osborne has so far shown no sign of dealing with. Politically, it's inept. Socially, it's unwise. Economically, it's foolish and unlikely to save much. Overall, it's an unforced error caused by hubris that is exactly the kind of disaster you, I and others on here feared would happen when the only opposition party decided in effect to dissolve itself by electing Jeremy Corbyn leader.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,203
    Hancock sounding deeply unconvincing on BBC Breakfast. How I love the sight of an arrogant Government over reaching.
  • Options

Hancock sounding deeply unconvincing on BBC Breakfast. How I love the sight of an arrogant Government over reaching.

Didn't see him on the telly - but he was very good on R4 this morning. Wonder if he does better on radio in general.

• Options
    ydoethur said:

Roger said:

I think their idea is that the new higher minimum wage will ultimately more than make up for the loss from tax credits, and the new universal credit will sort out many of the complexities of the system. However, as tax credits are being cut quickly, and the minimum wage raised slowly (and God alone knows when we'll get UC given all the delays) there will be a transitional period that actually will be very painful for quite a large number of people. That's the issue Osborne has so far shown no sign of dealing with. Politically, it's inept. Socially, it's unwise. Economically, it's foolish and unlikely to save much. Overall, it's an unforced error caused by hubris that is exactly the kind of disaster you, I and others on here feared would happen when the only opposition party decided in effect to dissolve itself by electing Jeremy Corbyn leader.
    I'd agree with all this, except that when Osborne came up with this insane proposal, there was no sign of Corbyn being Labour leader. This is a massive unforced error.
  • Options

Morning all,

All quite incredible. It was obvious on the evening of the June budget that the tax credit thing was a disaster-in-waiting. I don't know why it has taken so long for MPs to catch up with what was being proposed.

As Rawnsley was saying in Observer yesterday, Osborne is in an enormous hole and is still digging. IMHO his future as a credible leadership candidate stands on the brink this month.

Remember it took Labour, a few exceptions like Frank Field aside, a whole twelve months to realise abolishing the 10p tax band would leave poor people worse off.

Most MPs do not understand finance or welfare, because they have never experienced it and think only losers claim it, and they never bother to vote anyway. The last Prime Minister we had - and I think I am right in saying one of only two in the twentieth century* - who had an extended period out of work and reliant on benefits was Major. They seem incapable of understanding how far the welfare net has now spread over successive governments (starting with Thatcher's, remarkably) and how complex and difficult sorting it out will be. Not to mention how much political pain could be involved.

*The other was Ramsay Macdonald, but when he was out of work there were not many benefits aside from union/charity payments.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Roger said:

Congratulations on discovering that every mistake the Tory government makes is caused by Labour activists. I haven't been a Labour member since 1990, but I'm sure you're bright enough to explain to me why I'm as much to blame as anyone else...

• Options
    Mortimer

"Great opinion piece in today's Times by Matt Ridley. Lib Dem and Labour MPs should respect the will of the people "

Respecting the will of the people is nothing but a soundbite. The Tory prospectus for government never mentioned removing tax credits which surely should have been a central plank of their re-election campaign.

Though it's a pity it has to be the HoL it's important that someone tries to keep these charlatans honest
  • Options

The digging continues. By that hole is big, it's going to fit the whole government in it by the end of the week.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Roger said:

Exactly.
    Whatever the actual position the public is clearly of the opinion that many “hard-working familes” where, for no fault of their own the breadwinners are on low wages will be penalised now, with something less than a promise and more than a suggestion, that the shortfall will be made up “soon"
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Roger said:

I'd agree with all this, except that when Osborne came up with this insane proposal, there was no sign of Corbyn being Labour leader. This is a massive unforced error.
    Can't remember exactly when it happened. However, he knew Labour were in the middle of a leadership election led by a weak and ineffectual interim leader and likely to split over the issue. That is why I think we can put this down to Labour's lack of leadership. In any case, it's hard to imagine he would not have modified the proposals had he been up against somebody well-informed and passably intelligent, like Cooper, rather than the Jezziah.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    edited October 2015
    Right, that's enough of this cricket crap for today. Home for lunch then back to work this afternoon.
    A crap finish to a brilliant sporting weekend.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Mortimer said:

Afraid I don't have much time for Camborne's sudden discovery that the Lords needs reform. Not only did they engineer no change in the last parliament out of petty point scoring with the LibDems but the PM has always said reform is a 3rd term objective.
    It gets pushed up the agenda if the House of Lords starts pushing its luck with constitutional niceties. Whatever you think of tax credits, it has to be accepted that the House of Lords would be breaking new ground if for the first time since the Parliament Act it voted down a statutory instrument with budgetary implications.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Roger said:

Mortimer

"Great opinion piece in today's Times by Matt Ridley. Lib Dem and Labour MPs should respect the will of the people "

Respecting the will of the people is nothing but a soundbite. The Tory prospectus for government never mentioned removing tax credits which surely should have been a central plank of their re-election campaign.

Though it's a pity it has to be the HoL it's important that someone tries to keep these charlatans honest

How are those economic migrants doing in your second home?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Roger said:

Congratulations on discovering that every mistake the Tory government makes is caused by Labour activists. I haven't been a Labour member since 1990, but I'm sure you're bright enough to explain to me why I'm as much to blame as anyone else...

No, it's not caused by Labour activists. It's caused by Osborne seeing what he can get away with. What is being caused by Labour activists is Osborne being able to get away with the political equivalent of murder on a regular basis. You saw exactly the same thing in the 1980s under Thatcher, when Labour were too busy sorting out Militant to point out her more ghastly mistakes, and with Blair over Iraq in 2003, when the Tories had elected a rather dim nobody to lead them instead of somebody forceful and independently minded who might have asked awkward questions and held the government's feet to the fire over WMDs, post war planning, the leadership of the American forces, etc.

That's why in a two-party democracy a strong opposition is vital. A good opposition (remembering Tony Blair's and leaving aside my personal dislike of him) can actually achieve a lot by keeping the government on its toes - I seem to remember Tony Blair even got Major, admittedly at a moment of particular weakness, to add two bills to a Queen's Speech. At the moment, we are further from having such opposition than we have been at any time since the 1930s. That's not good.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Mortimer

Left still don't like democracy when it concludes they're not fit to rule, I see. How utterly revolting.

The manifesto mentioned 12bn of welfare cuts. Promise of welfare cuts leads to welfare cuts shocker.

• Options
    I do wonder if the Lib Dems have thought this through.

What if reform actually happened? As the polling stands, they'd lose influence in the Lords and have as little as they possess currently in the Commons.

I wonder if the best reform might be a Year Zero, with hereditaries and crossbenches remaining, and all party chaps and ladies removed. Then 200-300 would be appointed (or re-appointed) to function on behalf of parties.
  • Options
    The curious thing about this is that the House of Lords are making sure Cameron honours a pre-election pledge, so you could say the Lords are honouring the Salisbury-Addison convention (after a fashion)

Anyhoo, as a long standing supporter of electoral reform, we need to abolish the House of Lords and replace it with a wholly elected Senate.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,980
    GeoffM said:

JEO said:

antifrank said:

We must be close to if not top of the "biggest number of useless greedy troughers" internationally.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546

I do wonder if the Lib Dems have thought this through.

What if reform actually happened? As the polling stands, they'd lose influence in the Lords and have as little as they possess currently in the Commons.

I wonder if the best reform might be a Year Zero, with hereditaries and crossbenches remaining, and all party chaps and ladies removed. Then 200-300 would be appointed (or re-appointed) to function on behalf of parties.

My guess is that they've priced it in, that it's going to happen anyway, so there might well be an element of first strike. And to do it over an unpopular issue where the government's mandate is questionable (to put it mildly) makes much more sense than over a future argument where the Government clearly do have a mandate such as boundary reviews.

Notable how the Government are trying to make this all about the constitutional aspect, and the Opposition all about the impact on the losers. Very clear battle lines being drawn.

• Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    Let's be honest, this whole tax credit fiasco was a crisis waiting to happen. And such a poor bit of political foresight from Osborne. The most damning thing is the sun's breakdown of who loses out- care workers, builders. I.e. the blue collar workers the Tories are saying they now represent.
  • Options
    Mr Dancer, are you suggesting the Lib Dems are thinking? Can you provide evidence for this remarkable hypothesis please? Since the election, they appear merely to have been struggling to find causes to protest about, to re-establish themselves as the party of protest. A rather sad decay, but given the trauma they have suffered not that surprising.

Agreed @TheScreamingEagles, it is rather an amusing irony.
  • Options
    Why do we need any more elected bodies TSE? Already too many with the councils, silly regional chambers and national governments. Not to mention EU reps.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Roger said:

Can't remember exactly when it happened. However, he knew Labour were in the middle of a leadership election led by a weak and ineffectual interim leader and likely to split over the issue. That is why I think we can put this down to Labour's lack of leadership. In any case, it's hard to imagine he would not have modified the proposals had he been up against somebody well-informed and passably intelligent, like Cooper, rather than the Jezziah.
    Case of Osborne believing his butt licking entourage were actually right when they said he was great and could do anything. Squeaky little runt just got carried away.
  • Options
    That said the Lib Dems do need to be taught a lesson for being so undemocratic and hypocrites.

They should definitely do this

Tories are planning a humiliating slapdown to their former Liberal Democrat partners by refusing to stop Parliament for their party conference.

A senior Conservative told the Standard ministers were questioning if it was worth halting debates for a party that has “just eight MPs”.

http://bit.ly/1WI0ffp
  • Options
    What's to stop the government just immediately re-introducing these changes as a Finance Bill?
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    This stunt by the Lib Dems is just the pathetic final thrashing around of a dying beast.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    malcolmg said:

GeoffM said:

JEO said:

antifrank said:

We must be close to if not top of the "biggest number of useless greedy troughers" internationally.
    We can't possibly be top, Malcolm. Kim Jong Un would literally tip the scales for North Korea on his own. China has an impressive record too, with around 3,000 members of the National People's Congress, who are indirectly elected in theory by Communist Party members, in practice appointed by patronage.

EDIT - of course if you're just talking about democracies you may have a point. I'm not sure I want to live in a state like North Korea or China!
  • Options
    MattW said:

ydoethur said:

GeoffM said:

JEO said:

antifrank said:

The numbers are irrelevant.

The Lords does a pretty good job at quite a low price.

But the ones we need to get rid of are the useless Ministers who were chucked upstairs to get them out of the way.
    £1 spent on the troughers is a waste
  • Options
    As for the Lords it should be abolished. We have an elected chamber, it is the Commons, we don't need a second. If the Lords wish to serve a purpose as a revising chamber then it has a purpose, if they wish to play politics based on technicalities then leave that to the elected politicians.

Don't create hundreds of new Peers, just abolish the Lords completely.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    Mortimer said:

Why do we need any more elected bodies TSE? Already too many with the councils, silly regional chambers and national governments. Not to mention EU reps.

Quite, so many politicians and bureaucrats: parish, town, district, county, Commons, Lords, EU, tier after tier of people interfering in other people's lives.

• Options
    antifrank said:

Mortimer said:

It gets pushed up the agenda if the House of Lords starts pushing its luck with constitutional niceties. Whatever you think of tax credits, it has to be accepted that the House of Lords would be breaking new ground if for the first time since the Parliament Act it voted down a statutory instrument with budgetary implications.
    What time is the vote likely?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Mr Dancer, are you suggesting the Lib Dems are thinking? Can you provide evidence for this remarkable hypothesis please? Since the election, they appear merely to have been struggling to find causes to protest about, to re-establish themselves as the party of protest. A rather sad decay, but given the trauma they have suffered not that surprising.

Agreed @TheScreamingEagles, it is rather an amusing irony.

Indeed. Trying to be the party of protest when Corbo leads Labour makes no sense. Farron (or as the sun put him last week, Fallon), won't last the parliament at this rate.

That said, I was taking another look at the now rock solid Tory majorities across the South created by the collapsed Liberal support. This will likely continue providing:

- Labour are led from the left
    - Lib Dems are not an orange Booker party

I.e for the next couple of elections at least.

Fortress South electoral strategy really paid off with Farron/Corbo victories.

• Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    I lost an hour yesterday. I blame the Tory government for this.
  • Options
    Mr. Tpfkar, that does sound a bit like Indonesia invading China to try and stop the land grab of the southern seas.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    Mortimer said:

Roger said:

The manifesto mentioned 12bn of welfare cuts. Promise of welfare cuts leads to welfare cuts shocker.
    And during the election campaign Mr Cameron specifically ruled out cuts to tax credits. Another broken promise from this feeble man.

When is he going to start getting the sort of treatment that was meted out to Nick Clegg throughout the whole of the last Parliament?
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Clocks went back, Surby. You gained an hour. Long live Conservatism.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    Mortimer said:

Roger said:

Mortimer

Left still don't like democracy when it concludes they're not fit to rule, I see. How utterly revolting.

Private Eye got it right as ever
    https://twitter.com/RobSkilbeck/status/651109773690163204
  • Options
    Well this is the incontrovertible evidence that the Lords are wrong, David Davis is backing them

David Davis: Lords right to fight government over tax credit cuts

http://bit.ly/1Wd7aAr
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Well, it was a Unionist-dominated coalition that introduced it :wink:

Just be thankful that the double-summer time experiment didn't last too long - otherwise you would have lost TWO hours.

(PS - surely you mean you GAINED an hour yesterday, borrowed from Saturday? It's in the spring that we lose one.)
  • Options

As for the Lords it should be abolished. We have an elected chamber, it is the Commons, we don't need a second. If the Lords wish to serve a purpose as a revising chamber then it has a purpose, if they wish to play politics based on technicalities then leave that to the elected politicians.

Compared to the dog's breakfast we have now, it will be better to abolist it. Personally, I would like a pure PR elected upper house. Since there will be no constituency link, MPs can sleep well that they are the true representatives of their areas.
  • Options
    PClipp said:

Mortimer said:

Roger said:

And during the election campaign Mr Cameron specifically ruled out cuts to tax credits. Another broken promise from this feeble man.

When is he going to start getting the sort of treatment that was meted out to Nick Clegg throughout the whole of the last Parliament?
    Mr Clipp, be patient and bide your time. As I said on here a few days ago I'm sure Cameron would have preferred another coalition, he and Clegg are very close in so many respects, he used him alternately as a buffer and a comfort blanket. Now he's gone we'll see what this charlatan is made of.

• Options
    Mr. Eagles, Davis is a buffoon. If Cameron changed his mind, Davis would be attacking him for that.

Mr. Clipp, Labour ruled out increasing income tax, and raising tuition fees. It did both.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

surbiton said:

Well, it was a Unionist-dominated coalition that introduced it :wink:

Just be thankful that the double-summer time experiment didn't last too long - otherwise you would have lost TWO hours.

(PS - surely you mean you GAINED an hour yesterday, borrowed from Saturday? It's in the spring that we lose one.)
    Oh yes, that's right ! So the Tories gave me an hour which the coalition took away.
  • Options

Well this is the incontrovertible evidence that the Lords are wrong, David Davis is backing them

Indeed. And KC is on the Govt side.

Case closed.

• Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    46% think unfair?

Less than half.
  • Options

PClipp said:

Mortimer said:

Roger said:

Mr Clipp, be patient and bide your time. As I said on here a few days ago I'm sure Cameron would have preferred another coalition, he and Clegg are very close in so many respects, he used him alternately as a buffer and a comfort blanket. Now he's gone we'll see what this charlatan is made of.

I love the bitterness of Kippers. It is so heart warming.

We should harness it as a power source. Who needs nuclear energy.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    PClipp said:

Mortimer said:

Roger said:

Probably never. Cameron and Clegg are such similar people.

But Cameron is lucky, and Clegg isn't.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Ydoethur

"No, it's not caused by Labour activists. It's caused by Osborne seeing what he can get away with. What is being caused by Labour activists is Osborne being able to get away with the political equivalent of murder on a regular basis. You saw exactly the same thing in the 1980s under Thatcher, when Labour were too busy sorting out Militant to point out her more ghastly mistakes, and with Blair over Iraq in 2003, when the Tories had elected a rather dim nobody to lead them instead of somebody forceful and independently minded who might have asked awkward questions and held the government's feet to the fire over WMDs, post war planning, the leadership of the American forces, etc."

You almost make a case for an unelected House of lords. A crap opposition as in the examples you mention and there's no one to mobilize public opinion. A good example of a strong opposition rousing public opinion was the poll tax which was not only reversed but also led to the sacking of Thatcher .
  • Options

What's to stop the government just immediately re-introducing these changes as a Finance Bill?

Nothing. So why don't they.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Case closed.

KC knows what he's talking about when it comes to the domestic Treasury.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

The digging continues. By that hole is big, it's going to fit the whole government in it by the end of the week.
    I think the overstate the impact, by a big margin. Tax credit changes aren't going to turn the public against the government, on their own.
  • Options
    runnymede said:

This stunt by the Lib Dems is just the pathetic final thrashing around of a dying beast.

The word "beast" is an exaggeration.
  • Options
    House of Lords delenda est.
  • Options

PClipp said:

Mortimer said:

Roger said:

I'm not bitter in the slightest, I worked hard for something I believe in and played a tiny part in forcing Cameron to promise a referendum against his wishes, I'm totally content.

The conservatives on here remind me of those people singing in 1997 when Blair was ordained, and we all know how that ended. It will go the same way for Cameron, it always does.

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,031

You're assuming the HoC produces good legislation at the first attempt. This seems a rather odd assumption when you have utterly thick MPs sitting in safe seats, and MPs with brains who forget their brains and obey the party whip time and time again.

If anything, the latter deserve more excoriation than the former, who can't help being thick.

This is especially true at times when the government feels it can pass laws quickly without proper oversight because there is a weak opposition.

The answer, as I've said many times, is to convert the HoL into a House of Experts, with members being chosen by various sectors.

The only downside is that they'd probably show up the level of 'debate' in the HoC.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

PClipp said:

Mortimer said:

Roger said:

Why do Cameron's critics keep on saying he's lucky?

He's very good at politics.

As someone once said, the harder I work the luckier I get.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Mortimer said:

We are extremely under-represented. Take the USA, for example. Not only a two-house federal congress but each State has two legislatures. In addition, countless, city, county, district councils, Mayors, Sheriffs, Dog-handlers..........
  • Options
    Saudi Arabia's ambassador has a bit of a whine. However, he also claims the country's taken 2.5 million Syrian refugees:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34635206

"In addition, Prince Mohammed said the "intense criticism" of the state's response to the Syrian refugee crisis had been "unfair, as it failed to acknowledge that Saudi Arabia has taken in over 2.5 million displaced Syrians"."

Is that true?
  • Options
    Roger said:

Ydoethur

"No, it's not caused by Labour activists. It's caused by Osborne seeing what he can get away with. What is being caused by Labour activists is Osborne being able to get away with the political equivalent of murder on a regular basis. You saw exactly the same thing in the 1980s under Thatcher, when Labour were too busy sorting out Militant to point out her more ghastly mistakes, and with Blair over Iraq in 2003, when the Tories had elected a rather dim nobody to lead them instead of somebody forceful and independently minded who might have asked awkward questions and held the government's feet to the fire over WMDs, post war planning, the leadership of the American forces, etc."

You almost make a case for an unelected House of lords. A crap opposition as in the examples you mention and there's no one to mobilize public opinion. A good example of a strong opposition rousing public opinion was the poll tax which was not only reversed but also led to the sacking of Thatcher .

Did I? I hope I didn't. I'm all in favour of a fully elected system in principle. My key point was about strong opposition. Very few people - including, unfortunately, very few politicians - seem to understand just how vital a good opposition can be in securing good government in our system.

The problem with the House of Lords is not that I like it - it's an anachronistic joke - but that I have in the past struggled to think of anything that would be genuinely and unambiguously better. However, if we're going to have peers randomly appointed to get government business through over perfectly legitimate reservations, we might as well not have it at all. So maybe @antifrank has the best point when he said that we needed something like this to force the issue of reform back onto the agenda.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Case closed.

Also, Roger is against them.

This is the policy support version of the triple lock.
  • Options

You're assuming the HoC produces good legislation at the first attempt. This seems a rather odd assumption when you have utterly thick MPs sitting in safe seats, and MPs with brains who forget their brains and obey the party whip time and time again.

If anything, the latter deserve more excoriation than the former, who can't help being thick.

This is especially true at times when the government feels it can pass laws quickly without proper oversight because there is a weak opposition.

The answer, as I've said many times, is to convert the HoL into a House of Experts, with members being chosen by various sectors.

The only downside is that they'd probably show up the level of 'debate' in the HoC.
    A House of Lords that is a revising chamber I can accept. It sort of already is thta, how appointments get made can be changed better.

But for stunts like this trying to block entirely financial measures based on a technicality rather than trying to revise laws ... that is absurd. Our elected chamber passed it already.

If we were to adopt the inane idea of some here and go for a PR HoL then it would have even worse quality MPs than our Commons already does. Lords solely there based on the strength of a party vote with no personal vote at all are just going to be party apparatchiks but worse with a so-called "mandate". Unacceptable.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

PClipp said:

Mortimer said:

Roger said:

You'd have said the same about Blair at one time. Let's see how history judges him not just the tory sycophants.

• Options

Sean_F said:

PClipp said:

Mortimer said:

Roger said:

Events, dear boy, events!
  • Options

PClipp said:

Mortimer said:

Roger said:

I'm not bitter in the slightest, I worked hard for something I believe in and played a tiny part in forcing Cameron to promise a referendum against his wishes, I'm totally content.

The conservatives on here remind me of those people singing in 1997 when Blair was ordained, and we all know how that ended. It will go the same way for Cameron, it always does.

A very tiny part, Conservative rebels played the large part. Though your comparison with Blair in 1997 is bizarre. In 1997 had Blair said he was going to retire by the end of that Parliament?