Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Flooding the Lords with 100s of new peers so several millio

124»

Comments

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380

JohnO said:

surbiton said:

Some of his friends [ the father's ] also likes Corbyn because he says Corbyn has been unfairly attacked. He said many leaders did not sing the National Anthem.

Is there a sympathy vote ?

I think the attacks were too scattergun. Quite a few voters, like Southam and Cyclefree, undoubtedly feel unhappy about his past willingness to talk to the IRA and Hamas. But most voters really do not care about his collar button or attendance at a rugby match or taking a few days walking in Scotland or whether he always sings the anthem. When the media shout about all five at once it's clearly OTT and people start to feel some sympathy.
    Come off it, Corbyn is condemned not for talking to the IRA, but for supporting them. Do you think we're idiots?
    And Nick is curiously coy about why 'taking a few days walking in Scotland or whether he always sings the anthem' were considered noteworthy.

It's worth remembering that even the SNP were forced to back-track on their anti-monarchy position. Even in Scotland the monarchy is extremely popular. Amongst Labour target voters in English marginals, even more so.
    What is your explanation, then, for only 39% feeling dissatisfied after all that?

It actually risks being helpful to the Tories to point out that their lack of selectivity is making their stronger arguments drown. But if they want to go on attacking everything about him down to his shoe size, that's fine.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,978
    john_zims said:

@Roger

'All Labour have to do is wait...... '

For at least 10 years if they are lucky.

Labours new tactic- "waiting"
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,177
    MaxPB said:

Danny565 said:

Two-thirds of the low-paid will be worse off, even after taking into account the minimum wage rise:

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/oct/26/working-tax-credits-two-thirds-will-be-worse-off-in-2020-research-finds

These all assume static working hours. I think the minimum wage should rise faster and the new higher rates be extended to 21 and older as well. However, that doesn't change the need to reform the tax credits system and make more work pay. Removing the artificial 16 hour barrier is of massive importance as well.
    Easy for rich Daddy's boy to want to pontificate, not all of them can ask their Dad's chums to give them more hours.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,177
    I bet not one of the people on here whinging about how necessary cutting tax credits and making poor people work harder on minimum wage have any clue or ever been in that position. All will have been spoon fed and will be on big salaries, pretty pathetic to here the callous attitudes , hopefully they will get the opportunity in future to see what it is like. I bet they will not be so pompous and callous then.