Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Harry Hayfield’s Local By-Election Preview : October 1st 20

124»

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,197
    You can either be in favour of Nukes (Conservative position), or against (SNP).

Labour's position is a nonsense right now though.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118

isam said:

Well I'm a big Farage fan and also a huge Portiloo fan and all I can say from this exchange is that Nigel doesn't look all that well

He looked grey and walked very stiffly. Farage leading the Out campaign (and just try and stop him!) Could make all the difference for the Inners.
    Yes he did... I like him and I hope he is alright. First time I've really seen him look bad.

Mind you, Mikey P likes a bit of slap!
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited October 2015

isam said:

Watching Tw 30 mins behind... Agree w Portillo re slavery payment... Morally we owe them a lot of compensation

I am fairly sympathetic too. Though it is worth remembering that the Africans involuntarily exiled to the Americas do generally have higher incomes and other measures of development than those who stayed in Africa.

Slavery was a horrific crime, and a trade that Britain was at the centre of, though also the centre of suppressing it.
    Slavery was a horrific crime but I'm reminded of Billy Joel's We Didn't Start the Fire as far as that's concerned.

We did not start slavery, we did not start African slavery, we did not start the trans-Atlantic slave trade. But we did end it. A feat no other Empire to my knowledge ever achieved.

Doesn't mean that everything is good, but nor that everything is bad. Slavery existed for thousands of years and was endorsed by for example the Bible in both Old and New (and all other contemporary religions this is NOT a dig) and even the founding USA Constitution regarding slaves being counted as three-fifths of a person.

The legacy of slavery abolitionism is a tremendous legacy the British have bequeathed the world for which we should be more proud. We should remember the good we have done as well as the bad.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited October 2015

An Israeli couple travelling with their four young children have been shot dead in a drive-by shooting in the occupied West Bank, the Israeli military says.

The couple, civilians in their thirties, were travelling between the Jewish settlements of Itamar and Elon Moreh, emergency services said.

The children, aged between four months and nine years, were injured.

The shooting came hours after Israel's PM said he was prepared to resume peace talks with the Palestinians.

The Palestinian militant organisation Hamas (which dominates Gaza) said "we bless the killing of settlers in the West Bank".

Spokesman Husam Badran said: "We call on our people in the West Bank to carry out more quality operations like the [one] today.

"This is the only solution which is supported by the masses of our people everywhere."
    "Our friends".

****s.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    edited October 2015

isam said:

Watching Tw 30 mins behind... Agree w Portillo re slavery payment... Morally we owe them a lot of compensation

I am fairly sympathetic too. Though it is worth remembering that the Africans involuntarily exiled to the Americas do generally have higher incomes and other measures of development than those who stayed in Africa.

Slavery was a horrific crime, and a trade that Britain was at the centre of, though also the centre of suppressing it.
    Slavery was a horrific crime but not I'm reminded of Billy Joel's We Didn't Start the Fire as far as that's concerned.

We did not start slavery, we did not start African slavery, we did not start the trans-Atlantic slave trade. But we did end it. A feat no other Empire to my knowledge ever achieved.

Doesn't mean that everything is good, but nor that everything is bad. Slavery existed for thousands of years and was endorsed by for example the Bible in both Old and New (and all other contemporary religions this is NOT a dig) and even the founding USA Constitution regarding slaves being counted as three-fifths of a person.

The legacy of slavery abolitionism is a tremendous legacy the British have bequeathed the world for which we should be more proud. We should remember the good we have done as well as the bad.
    But we still live in relative luxury compared to the countries whose people we made slaves, because we made their people slaves... I think Portillo was right, if we had the money we should pay, but we don't, so we have to pretend the request is outrageous
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Slavery was a horrific crime but not I'm reminded of Billy Joel's We Didn't Start the Fire as far as that's concerned.

But we still live in relative luxury compared to the countries whose people we made slaves, because we made their people slaves... I think Portillo was right, if we had the money we should pay, but we don't, so we have to pretend the request is outrageous
    I'm sorry but that is over simplistic and mistakes cause and effect. Slavery was happening with or without us, what we changed is that we stopped slavery happening.

Furthermore the abolition of slavery movement in the UK was from the 18th century onwards and we're now in the 21st century, plenty of time has passed in-between during which facts have changed. Our wealth today is not simply from before then but rather we have gained in wealth tremendously after that, while other nations have prospered or not accordingly too.
  • Options

Charlotte Church - 'trains have become an elitist way to travel so not as much mobility'.

Passenger numbers have DOUBLED under privatisation compared to how they were under British Rail. Seriously no grounding in reality whatsoever.

Surely all PBers recognise Sunil as our elite? CC knows her stuff.
    "Some people call you the Elite. I call you my base..... Now watch this drive!"

:lol:
  • Options

An Israeli couple travelling with their four young children have been shot dead in a drive-by shooting in the occupied West Bank, the Israeli military says.

The couple, civilians in their thirties, were travelling between the Jewish settlements of Itamar and Elon Moreh, emergency services said.

The shooting came hours after Israel's PM said he was prepared to resume peace talks with the Palestinians.

The Palestinian militant organisation Hamas (which dominates Gaza) said "we bless the killing of settlers in the West Bank".

Spokesman Husam Badran said: "We call on our people in the West Bank to carry out more quality operations like the [one] today.

"This is the only solution which is supported by the masses of our people everywhere."
    "Our friends".

****s.

Occupied West Bank?
  • Options

@britainelects: Grimsbury & Castle (Cherwell) result:
    LAB - 45.0% (+5.9)
    CON - 38.1% (-7.0)
    UKIP - 8.6% (+8.6)
    LDEM - 4.2% (-1.5)
    GRN - 4.1% (-6.1)

JICIPM!
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Obama is right? We /they we all need to take guns out of the system

In the event of of a major incident industrial, transportation, airline, marine...... There is a full investigation, recommendations are made and acted on, "This will never happens again " we always hear

. But.... As Obama says ... It never happens when shootings occurs in gun crime.

He's right.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,101
    IT’S yourself! Come away in, Jeremy. Welcome to Scotland. When we heard your first visit as UK Labour leader was imminent we thought it was only right to arrange a traditionally warm Glasgow welcome. Like the one we gave your predecessor you say? You are a card, Jeremy. Coming to Glasgow with a name like Jeremy, a man would have to be.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/opinion/13798659.Some_home_truths_about_Scotland_for_Jeremy_Corbyn/
  • Options

"Our friends".

****s.
    Occupied West Bank?

Sunil..Dr Sunil I really respect t you very much for that but FFS to be a pedant on this subject and miss the entire point? Huh?
  • Options

Interesting that both QT audience members who work for the railways don't want it nationalised.

3to 4 years ago I caught the 0540 train to London from my local station every work day and as it was so quiet at that point I got on chatted to the guards and got to know them.

This morning for the first time I caught that same train from my place to London this period was due mostly to work schedules in Europe. This morning the guard stepped off the train having done the door opening routine and by shear luck or not it was the same guy. he said hey "moses" long time no see and we caught up again for the next half hour. He shook my hand as I got on the train.

Now you can believe that or not I really don't care...... But it happened.

Now having been around for nearly 60 years that would never ever have happened under a nationalised industry, it just wouldn't and didn't . My guard does not want to go to nationalisation..
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,101
    Moses_ said:

Interesting that both QT audience members who work for the railways don't want it nationalised.

Now having been around for nearly 60 years that would never ever have happened under a nationalised industry, it just wouldn't and didn't . My guard does not want to go to nationalisation..
    I think the polling shows a marked difference for enthusiasm in nationalising railways between those who like the idea in theory and those of us who actually lived with the experience in practice......if ever 'public servant' as an oxymoron was tested to destruction it was in the nationalised utilities - 'two months for a phone line, count yourself lucky....' How quickly that changed (and not just here - in Belgium between two stints there 3 years apart a saw a transformation from '6 weeks' to 'tomorrow afternoon, sorry we can't do it any faster')
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    antifrank said:

My anecdotal experience is quite the reverse of Old King Cole's. I've come across vaguely right-on lawyers who are embarrassed at the shambles of Labour under Jeremy Corbyn. Quiet Conservatives are now openly making their preference known. Right now it would be embarrassing to admit to seeing any appeal in Jeremy Corbyn among the professionals that I know, which would certainly never have been the case even with Ed Miliband.

Jeremy Corbyn has a real problem brewing with those who value professionalism.

I'd thought that left-leaning urban professionals would stay loyal to Labour but I can envisage quite a few of them drifting to abstention or a harmless vote for the Lib Dems.

Can also confirm on a small sample non scientific basis. Corbyn appealing to some surprising non-Labour voters but distinct uneasiness from a couple of previously pretty committed left wing types. No idea what it means.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    SeanT said:

Six point tory lead with YouGov

was 8 points last time

http://www.sunnation.co.uk/corbyn-is-most-unpopular-opposition-leader/

Don't we normally see a 4-6 point party bounce after a Conference? And this is during Corbyn's "honeymoon".

lol
    In the eighties Labour conferences were so bad they would lose the party votes. I think the indications are the Labour are doing badly and aren't making much progress, but are not imploding in the way the pundits /Blairites /PB Tories assumed. It is quite possible for all three of those categories of person along with the Corbyn fans to be equally deluded of course, all in their own special ways.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,501
    kle4 said:

The local elections like politics in general - too much SNP for my liking.

Ha Ha Ha that Tory surge is coming , they nearly got over 5% last night and actually beat Labour to second in one
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,450
    malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

Ha Ha Ha that Tory surge is coming , they nearly got over 5% last night and actually beat Labour to second in one
    The SNP had better watch out, at this rate the Tories will be breathing down their necks in a few decades.
  • Options

Dair said:

kle4 said:

But surely you're heavy into Labour wins tonight.

After all the PB Tories are so certain that the Hyslop non story and Thomson poison are going to destroy the SNP. Not to mention that Corbyn is elected now and will destroy the SNP all on his own.
    Not a heavy win for the opponent, but the slow erosion of sleaze will do for the SNP in the long run. It always does.
    Just because you are a LibDem , not all people have to be like LibDems. Don't hold your breath waiting for it.
  • Options
    I do not see a lot of frothing about the by election results this fine morning, did the London parties do badly.