Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Harry Hayfield’s Local By-Election Preview : October 1st 20

SystemSystem Posts: 11,700
edited October 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Harry Hayfield’s Local By-Election Preview : October 1st 2015

George Street and Harbour (SNP defence) and Midstocket and Rosemount (Con defence) on City of Aberdeen
Result of council at last election (2012): Labour 17, Scottish National Party 15, Liberal Democrats 5, Conservatives 3, Independents 3 (No Overall Control, Labour short by 5)
Result of wards at last election (2012) : Emboldened denotes elected

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    First again!
  • Options
    National Front? Do they still exist?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,987
    Cheers Harry, as always.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,047
    FPT
    I posted.
    Somewhat to my surprise today several of my OAP friends ...... all retired professional people, some admittedly from public service, but some not ...... told me that having seen Corbyn on the box they thought he was a breath of fresh air, and they liked what he was saying. They weren't people with whom I normally discuss politics, either.

I hadn't expected that from them; personally I'm not sure about Jezza. Yet anyway. Can see him getting me to move to Lab from LD though.

And Rob replied.
    Liked what he was saying, as in they would vote for him? Nurse!

To which I would say that one of them probably votes Labour anyway. As I say, I was surprised how positive they all were about him.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Essential reading for anyone who "liked what Corbyn was saying"

@robertshrimsley: This is very good -Corbyn's Nirvana fallacy https://t.co/zuo3ylJp0J
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,894
    FPT

I'm surprised Assad doesn't just piss off to Russia and see what Obama does about the massacre and blood bath that is certain to follow. As so often the West have chosen the wrong side
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    Scott_P said:

@robertshrimsley: This is very good -Corbyn's Nirvana fallacy https://t.co/zuo3ylJp0J

That is very good. He has lofty aims but very few plans to bring them about, he doesn't want to sully his hands with actually wielding any power which explains the last three decades of his career in Westminster.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    edited October 2015
    Roger said:

FPT

I'm surprised Assad doesn't just piss off to Russia and see what Obama does about the massacre and blood bath that is certain to follow. As so often the West have chosen the wrong side

Careful Roger, that almost sounds as if it would give you the horn, a perverse pleasure in the suffering of others to prove some strange point.

Assad is a vile and disgusting human being. Anyone defending him likewise.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Should we be making hard choices about public spending? No, because we want a high-growth economy in which only the rich pay more tax. Should we reform the way in which the NHS allocates resources, or schools are run? No, because we want a country in which everyone, regardless of background, receives the best healthcare and education, for free. Thank you for the applause, comrades.
    Scott_P said:

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,961
    The local elections like politics in general - too much SNP for my liking.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,311
    FPT:

If Con want to maximise their chances of winning in 2020 then Theresa May looks like by far the best bet - and the safest bet - ie low risk - she is unlikely to lead to any massive swings in voting intention in either direction.

Solid, stable, boring should be enough - plus being a woman can only help.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

FPT:

If Con want to maximise their chances of winning in 2020 then Theresa May looks like by far the best bet - and the safest bet - ie low risk - she is unlikely to lead to any massive swings in voting intention in either direction.

I've been saying that for a while.....not with such thorough thinking though.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,987
    MikeL said:

FPT:

The gnashing of teeth on the "progressive" left would be deafening.
  • Options
    flightpath01flightpath01 Posts: 4,903

FPT
    I posted.
    Somewhat to my surprise today several of my OAP friends ...... all retired professional people, some admittedly from public service, but some not ...... told me that having seen Corbyn on the box they thought he was a breath of fresh air, and they liked what he was saying. They weren't people with whom I normally discuss politics, either.

I hadn't expected that from them; personally I'm not sure about Jezza. Yet anyway. Can see him getting me to move to Lab from LD though.

And Rob replied.

To which I would say that one of them probably votes Labour anyway. As I say, I was surprised how positive they all were about him.

Are you NP in disguise?
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    HaroldO said:

Scott_P said:

That is very good. He has lofty aims but very few plans to bring them about, he doesn't want to sully his hands with actually wielding any power which explains the last three decades of his career in Westminster.
    In computer science (and evolution for that matter) this is the limitation of hill climbing algorithms. If you're at a local optima, you (as a human) may see a lofty far-off peak that is better, but the algorithm will never get you there as any immediate move is less optimal.

Social planning has "wicked problems"; the trouble with people like Corbyn is that they seek to cut the Gordian knot by (in the article's example) unilateral nuclear disarmament. It's more complicated than that, but his personal philosophy will never allow him to admit it.

Or, more succinctly, to borrow from a better mind than mine:

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,927
    O/T I see Sweden has received 6,827 asylum claims over the past week. This, in a nation of 8.5 m people. This is a country whose government is mad.
  • Options
    RobD said:

MikeL said:

FPT:

May is too old, and I doubt she has the appetite for it. I'd vote for her, mind you - she's the least unsuccessful Home Secretary for some time.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312

FPT
    I posted.

And Rob replied.

He's doing his Father Christmas bit at the moment. Wait 'til he starts f8cking with rich folk's pensions and inhritences! Rich folks = anyone not receiving welfare other than state pension
  • Options
    OKC

"Somewhat to my surprise today several of my OAP friends...... "

And as we keep being told they're the ones who vote. Perhaps the Tories on here really are seeing the zeitgeist change. I've been wondering why the plethora of pointless posts begging anyone who'll listen that Corbyn's a dud. Not since the last election have the Tories seemed so paranoid

Having watched him for a week it's obvious he's not another Michael Foot. He was eccentric but appeared feeble and confused. Corbyn seems anything but......avuncular and confident and unlike Cameron-who seems like a cipher-a man with his own ideas

• Options
    John_M said:

RobD said:

MikeL said:

FPT:

May is too old, and I doubt she has the appetite for it. I'd vote for her, mind you - she's the least unsuccessful Home Secretary for some time.
    You can't do that to the English language.
  • Options

FPT
    I posted.

And Rob replied.

Are you NP in disguise?
    No; don't care for his views on using animals in medicine development.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,889
    kle4 said:

A tautology, perhaps. It's because of so many moving to Westminster.

My commiserations.
  • Options
    HaroldO said:

Scott_P said:

Re the nirvana article...
    It is repeating what I have been saying - problems do not have perfect or sometimes any solutions. And you cannot uninvent nuclear weapons. They are cheap they are easy. The nuclear mobilisation race would probably be more dangerous than the nuclear arms race.
  • Options

John_M said:

RobD said:

MikeL said:

FPT:

Try and stop me! It's unpossible!
  • Options
    Roger said:

OKC

And as we keep being told they're the ones who vote. Perhaps the Tories on here really are seeing the zeitgeist change. I've been wondering why the plethora of pointless posts begging anyone who'll listen that Corbyn's a dud. Not since the last election have the Tories seemed so paranoid

Having watched him for a week it's obvious he's not another Michael Foot. He was eccentric but appeared feeble and confused. Corbyn seems anything but......avuncular and confident and unlike Cameron-who seems like a cipher-a man with his own ideas

Ideas such as what? He keeps coming up with slogans but precious little in the way of actual solid plans to enact them at all.
  • Options
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/11904376/Oxford-University-Student-Union-bans-free-speech-magazine-because-it-is-offensive.html
    Student journalists at the University of Oxford were dismayed to find out that their magazine - which promotes free speech - was banned from Fresher's Fair because the Student's Union was worried people would find it offensive.

VERSA news, another student publication at the prestigious university, reported that the magazine, 'No Offence', was banned from being handed out to new students during Fresher's week.
  • Options

John_M said:

RobD said:

MikeL said:

FPT:

If there's a language that can take it, it's English - she's a tough old girl.
    Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

A tautology, perhaps. It's because of so many moving to Westminster.
    Indeed, all connected, and well played to them of course. Although it does make for some less than interesting contests at the moment. I'm not sure I find the Jeeves analogy from Harry regarding a break in the uniformity elsewhere with a Con win as reassuring. Just full in a different way.
  • Options
    Venez sur le Canada
  • Options

FPT
    I posted.

And Rob replied.

He's doing his Father Christmas bit at the moment. Wait 'til he starts f8cking with rich folk's pensions and inhritences! Rich folks = anyone not receiving welfare other than state pension
    TBH, I don't this lot care much about inheritance tax. They .... like me..... have made sure their children had all the chances and otherwise have beein "skiing)

Ski-ing ... Spending the Kid's Inheritance.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    My anecdotal experience is quite the reverse of Old King Cole's. I've come across vaguely right-on lawyers who are embarrassed at the shambles of Labour under Jeremy Corbyn. Quiet Conservatives are now openly making their preference known. Right now it would be embarrassing to admit to seeing any appeal in Jeremy Corbyn among the professionals that I know, which would certainly never have been the case even with Ed Miliband.

Jeremy Corbyn has a real problem brewing with those who value professionalism.

I'd thought that left-leaning urban professionals would stay loyal to Labour but I can envisage quite a few of them drifting to abstention or a harmless vote for the Lib Dems.
  • Options
    Roger said:

FPT

I agree - Obama is really turning out to be a tosspot.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    MikeL said:

FPT:

May is awful. I cannot see that she has ever done anything useful, just abuse people to no effect.

Even the Tories can do better than that.
  • Options
    watford30 said:

Roger said:

FPT

Careful Roger, that almost sounds as if it would give you the horn, a perverse pleasure in the suffering of others to prove some strange point.

Now, a simple question. Accepting that neither ISIS nor Assad is very good for lots of Syrians, who is worse for the West and humanity in general?
  • Options
    Roger said:

OKC

Pfft, Corbyn can't even write an original conference speech. Foot had ten times the intellect of the current dimwit leading Labour. Foot was anti-appeasement, anti EU and an avowed anti-fascist.

You seem to think that the Right are worried about Corbyn. Personally, I'm not. I'm terrified. The thought that there is even a miniscule chance of him being elected gives me the willies, in a way that Brown and Milliband never did. We could recover from those two. I'm not so sure about Corbyn and his motley crew.

Fortunately, I'm confident that Corbyn's hollowness will be easily exposed once the electoral campaign begins in earnest.
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293

HaroldO said:

Scott_P said:

It is repeating what I have been saying - problems do not have perfect or sometimes any solutions. And you cannot uninvent nuclear weapons. They are cheap they are easy. The nuclear mobilisation race would probably be more dangerous than the nuclear arms race.
    Nuclear weapons are neither cheap or easy. The theoretical science that underpins them is understood by pretty much any physics undergrad, but that isnt enough.

Acquiring the necessary materials at the grade needed, the engineering of the actual bomb and then the development of a delivery system is very far from easy. Outside of devices of those five members of the non proliferation treaty, I would suspect the failure rate of a device to successfully hit a target and detonate would be close to 100%.
  • Options

watford30 said:

Roger said:

FPT

Now, a simple question. Accepting that neither ISIS nor Assad is very good for lots of Syrians, who is worse for the West and humanity in general?
    Assad is only a threat to his own people. IS are a threat to everyone, even themselves.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

My anecdotal experience is quite the reverse of Old King Cole's. I've come across vaguely right-on lawyers who are embarrassed at the shambles of Labour under Jeremy Corbyn. Quiet Conservatives are now openly making their preference known. Right now it would be embarrassing to admit to seeing any appeal in Jeremy Corbyn among the professionals that I know, which would certainly never have been the case even with Ed Miliband.

Jeremy Corbyn has a real problem brewing with those who value professionalism.

I'd thought that left-leaning urban professionals would stay loyal to Labour but I can envisage quite a few of them drifting to abstention or a harmless vote for the Lib Dems.

That, antifrank, is why I was so surprised.
  • Options
    Watford

"Assad is a vile and disgusting human being. Anyone defending him likewise"

I'm not sure. Saddam was as was Gaddafi but but that didn't alter the fact that getting rid of them has proved a disaster for Libya and Iraq.

Assad senior was certainly a monster. I think it's less clear cut with junior. He was faced with an insurrection. Are there many regimes who wouldn't react similarly when their existence is threatened? Not the Israelis for sure who would stop at nothing if their security was under threat
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,563
    edited October 2015

MikeL said:

FPT:

May is awful. I cannot see that she has ever done anything useful, just abuse people to no effect.

Assuming we have a Tory leadership election in 2019, it means we're four years away from the leadership election, let's see what past Tory leaders were doing four years before they became leader.

David Cameron In December 2001 was a back bench MP who had been an MP for 5 months.

Michael Howard in November 1999 was a backbench MP having stood down from frontline politics

In September 1997 IDS was Shadow Social Security Secretary, mostly known for being a Maastricht rebel

In June 1993 William Hague was Minister for the Disabled

In November 1986 John Major was a Minister of State at the DHSS

In February 1971 Margaret Thatcher was Education Secretary.

In July 1961 Ted Heath was Lord Privy Seal.
  • Options

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/11904376/Oxford-University-Student-Union-bans-free-speech-magazine-because-it-is-offensive.html

Student journalists at the University of Oxford were dismayed to find out that their magazine - which promotes free speech - was banned from Fresher's Fair because the Student's Union was worried people would find it offensive.

VERSA news, another student publication at the prestigious university, reported that the magazine, 'No Offence', was banned from being handed out to new students during Fresher's week.
    One expects student unions to be stupid, bigoted, and intolerant, but even allowing for that, there seems to be something wrong with British universities right now.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    John_M said:

Roger said:

OKC

Pfft, Corbyn can't even write an original conference speech. Foot had ten times the intellect of the current dimwit leading Labour. Foot was anti-appeasement, anti EU and an avowed anti-fascist.

You seem to think that the Right are worried about Corbyn. Personally, I'm not. I'm terrified. The thought that there is even a miniscule chance of him being elected gives me the willies, in a way that Brown and Milliband never did. We could recover from those two. I'm not so sure about Corbyn and his motley crew.

Fortunately, I'm confident that Corbyn's hollowness will be easily exposed once the electoral campaign begins in earnest.
    People admiring Corbyn are mistaking slyness for sincerity.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

FPT:

All this chat about next Tory leader is interesting from a betting perspective and this is a betting blog but let's keep everything in perspective. The Succession Stakes doesn't close for probably 3 years so you're a long way off from even knowing the runners. I still think there are lots of possible circumstances where Dave could change his mind, like if Boris looks nailed on.
  • Options

MikeL said:

FPT:

Assuming we have a Tory leadership election in 2019, it means we're four years away from the leadership election, let's see what past Tory leaders were doing four years before they became leader.

David Cameron In December 2001 was a back bench MP who had been an MP for 5 months.

Michael Howard in November 1999 was a backbench MP having stood down from frontline politics

In September 1997 IDS was Shadow Social Security Secretary, mostly known for being a Maastricht rebel

In November 1986 was a Minister of State at the DHSS

All very valid even though the electoral method has altered a lot over the years; and in 4 years May will be looking very long in the tooth. Laying the favourite is a reasonable default position..
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    edited October 2015
    kle4 said:

But surely you're heavy into Labour wins tonight.

After all the PB Tories are so certain that the Hyslop non story and Thomson poison are going to destroy the SNP. Not to mention that Corbyn is elected now and will destroy the SNP all on his own.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Spot on. The more I see of him, the more transparent it becomes - all that non-answering and deflecting/shutting down legitimate questioning with You Don't Understand The New Politics.

It's not new - it's classic old Lefty. I remain amazed at some people being hookwinked by it or thinking he's some kindly old uncle. Just look at the company he keeps. That says it all.
    watford30 said:

John_M said:

Roger said:

OKC

People admiring Corbyn are mistaking slyness for sincerity.
  • Options
    Dair said:

kle4 said:

After all the PB Tories are so certain that the Hyslop non story and Thomson poison are going to destroy the SNP.
    Link to people saying it was going to destroy the SNP?
  • Options
    Roger said:

Watford

I'm not sure. Saddam was as was Gaddafi but but that didn't alter the fact that getting rid of them has proved a disaster for Libya and Iraq.

Assad senior was certainly a monster. I think it's less clear cut with junior. He was faced with an insurrection. Are there many regimes who wouldn't react similarly when their existence is threatened? Not the Israelis for sure who would stop at nothing if their security was under threat

The West hoped junior would be a change for the better, IIRC after a good early start the despot reverted to type.
  • Options

MikeL said:

FPT:

All very valid even though the electoral method has altered a lot over the years; and in 4 years May will be looking very long in the tooth. Laying the favourite is a reasonable default position..
    Only once in their history the Tories have elected their leader whilst they are in power. John Major in 1990.
  • Options
    Dair said:

kle4 said:

After all the PB Tories are so certain that the Hyslop non story and Thomson poison are going to destroy the SNP. Not to mention that Corbyn is elected now and will destroy the SNP all on his own.
    Not a heavy win for the opponent, but the slow erosion of sleaze will do for the SNP in the long run. It always does.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Dair said:

kle4 said:

What? I've not seen any such prediction from any of the right of centre folk on here. Thomson is a 9 day wonder. The only question about Scottish politics is that state of SLAB in 2016. Are they to be inconsequential or irrelevant?

Scotland is lost to the Union. It's just taking a while to dawn on the folk down south. Scotland needs to be independent for it to develop the normal political spectrum.
  • Options
    A Suffolk Uni US poll asked people to sum up Donald Trump in one word....These were the results

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CQQeXLhW8AA1edm.jpg
  • Options
    Roger said:

Watford

And so we come back to the Israelis, as always.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,563
    edited October 2015

MikeL said:

FPT:

I've asked someone to get all the betting odds from 1974 onwards and see who was the favourite to be the next Tory leader on the 1st of January of each year.

Will make for interesting reading.

Blonde flamboyant MP for Henley the favourite to be the next Tory leader but never gets, but I'll stop talking about Michael Heseltine

I'm fairly certain between 1983 to 1990 Michael Heseltine was the favourite.
  • Options
    Finally installing Windows 10. Any tips?
  • Options
    Tom Newton Dunn announcing first poll post labour conference out on Sunnation at 10.00pm tonight. Should be interesting
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,015
    Dair said:

kle4 said:

No there is going to be a Peebles Tory Holyrood Majority 2016 Nailed On.
  • Options
    The best local news story we've had here in ages
    Young family whose car burst into flames were rescued by an entertainer dressed as SPIDER-MAN

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3256710/SPIDER-MAN-saves-family-burning-car.html#ixzz3nLpV3eV7
  • Options

Don't.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

One expects student unions to be stupid, bigoted, and intolerant, but even allowing for that, there seems to be something wrong with British universities right now.

Don't the union have the right not to be forced to publicise a set of views just because some contrarian Brendan O'Neill-type young fogey wants to?
  • Options
    watford30 said:

Don't.
    It's not that bad. I've just found it underwhelming for normal use, plus you get all the normal application incompatibilities. I'd wait another six months (I popped it on the laptops and the backup PC, but not on my main system).
  • Options
    notme said:

HaroldO said:

Scott_P said:

Nuclear weapons are neither cheap or easy. The theoretical science that underpins them is understood by pretty much any physics undergrad, but that isnt enough.

Acquiring the necessary materials at the grade needed, the engineering of the actual bomb and then the development of a delivery system is very far from easy. Outside of devices of those five members of the non proliferation treaty, I would suspect the failure rate of a device to successfully hit a target and detonate would be close to 100%.
    Pakistan and North Korea have the bomb, that's how difficult it is. When no one has the bomb (allegedly) and then trust breaks down at some time in the then future are you saying that a country li!e India could not easily regain the bomb or say Brazil or Australia ?
    The argument that disarmament would be even more dangerous is certainly not a perfect one but it is valid.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    RobD said:

MikeL said:

FPT:

I doubt it. She's not a proper woman. After all, she votes Conservative.

(* presumably, but I've never asked her...)
  • Options
    Roger said:

OKC

I think most of the posters on here have watched him for more than a week and come to the completely opposite conclusion. Avuncular? I had to look it up to make sure there isn't a definition I wasn't aware of. I'd say "Child Catcher" was a more appropriate description.
  • Options
    John_M said:

watford30 said:

Don't.
    It's not that bad. I've just found it underwhelming for normal use, plus you get all the normal application incompatibilities. I'd wait another six months (I popped it on the laptops and the backup PC, but not on my main system).
    I have Win 8.1 and hate it. If Win 10 is no better then it is my last Windows computer.
  • Options
    EPG said:

Sean_F said:

Don't the union have the right not to be forced to publicise a set of views just because some contrarian Brendan O'Neill-type young fogey wants to?

I'm sure the Union do have the legal right to prevent the distribution of opinions that dissent from their own ultra-left views. But, I doubt if that is desirable or reasonable.
  • Options

Roger said:

OKC

I think most of the posters on here have watched him for more than a week and come to the completely opposite conclusion. Avuncular? I had to look it up to make sure there isn't a definition I wasn't aware of. I'd say "Child Catcher" was a more appropriate description.
    Narky
  • Options
    Awesome Lib Dem bar chart via Shadsy

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CQQoD6zWoAAATz0.jpg
  • Options

FPT
    I posted.

And Rob replied.

TBH, I don't this lot care much about inheritance tax. They .... like me..... have made sure their children had all the chances and otherwise have beein "skiing)

Ski-ing ... Spending the Kid's Inheritance.
    Thanks for the explanation about "skiing", with my background I otherwise wouldn't have known.
  • Options
    edited October 2015

All credit to Lib Dem Ben for his optimism.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,983
    SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

O/T I see Sweden has received 6,827 asylum claims over the past week. This, in a nation of 8.5 m people. This is a country whose government is mad.

Yes, I believe Sweden may be the country where the Ideal of Multiculturalism is first tested to total destruction. A quick Google of the words "Malmo" added to "bombs" or "rape" shows why.

The architects of Multiculturalism in this country admitted it was a horrendous mistake years ago

See this from at 4:02 onwards

Lord Lester "We had no idea...."

and the quote he attributes to Roy Jenkins

"We just didn't realise..."

As Enoch said they would say

"Enoch Powell was right, & it will no doubt develop as he says. But its better for us to do nothing now and let it happen, perhaps after our time, than to seize the many poisonous nettles that we would have to seize at this time to avert the outcome"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCgHh29Vhhg

• Options

Have debit card handy.

That way you can unlock the functionality you are used to.
  • Options

watford30 said:

Roger said:

FPT

Assad is only a threat to his own people. IS are a threat to everyone, even themselves.
    I agree. I wonder if Roger does?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

Yes, I believe Sweden may be the country where the Ideal of Multiculturalism is first tested to total destruction. A quick Google of the words "Malmo" added to "bombs" or "rape" shows why.

Not so much a nation heaping up its own funeral pyre as standing on top of it, pouring a can of petrol over its head, and setting light to it.
  • Options
    EPG said:

Dair said:

kle4 said:

No there is going to be a Peebles Tory Holyrood Majority 2016 Nailed On.
    I remember singing rousing renditions of The Sash (and worse) with Murdo Fraser and others at Peebles Hydro during Scottish Tory Conference.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    ''If you have a safe place to go, go there': Tony Blair's astonishing phone call to Colonel Gaddafi just before he was overthrown by Libyan rebels'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3256642/If-safe-place-Tony-Blair-s-astonishing-phonecall-Colonel-Gaddafi-net-closed-Libyan-dictator-revealed.html#ixzz3nLtuaHW9
  • Options
    Dair said:

kle4 said:

Count me out on that
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    SeanT said:

On a more positive and harmonious note, I've just been to see a school in north London, on their open day (I'm checking out secondaries for my older daughter).

The particular school we visited tonight is a state comp: it used to be terrible, it almost closed down a few years ago, it has majority non-white British intake, lots of kids with special needs, lots of kids entitled to free school meals. A recipe for disaster.

In the last few years, the new staff have imposed a very strict code of discipline: absolute insistence on uniform, 2 hours homework a night, all the teachers called Sir or Madam. Also, it has gone from being mildly Catholic to fiercely Catholic - prayers every day, nuns in the corridor, 3 hours RE a week, etc etc. There are British flags on the wall in several classrooms, demanding respect for British values.

It is now a Good school with some Outstanding aspects, sending black, WWC and Muslim kids to Cambridge, UCL, Imperial, etc, last year.

Something is going RIGHT in some multicultural London schools, yet it is being done by a reversion to quite old-fashioned British schooling.

Conservatism works.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

Does Norway not count?
  • Options
    Six point tory lead with YouGov

was 8 points last time

http://www.sunnation.co.uk/corbyn-is-most-unpopular-opposition-leader/
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Tom Newton Dunn ‏@tnewtondunn 34s35 seconds ago

...YouGov/Sun poll: 71% think Labour needs to make major changes before it is fit for government again; http://www.sunnation.co.uk/corbyn-is-most-unpopular-opposition-leader/
  • Options
    BOJO is one of the very few British politicians to have both an understanding of, and interest in, the Arab world and the ME.

Under most circumstances, this would be seen as an odd, mildly amusing academic quirk.

It would now seem to be relevant.

Although it will not help his ambition of becoming PM, maybe it ought to.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @tnewtondunn: EXCL: YouGov/Sun poll - Corbyn judged worst new Opposition Leader since polls began in 1955; https://t.co/oewvcU7Jse https://t.co/EXq8cokRmz
  • Options
    JEO said:

SeanT said:

On a more positive and harmonious note, I've just been to see a school in north London, on their open day (I'm checking out secondaries for my older daughter).

The particular school we visited tonight is a state comp: it used to be terrible, it almost closed down a few years ago, it has majority non-white British intake, lots of kids with special needs, lots of kids entitled to free school meals. A recipe for disaster.

In the last few years, the new staff have imposed a very strict code of discipline: absolute insistence on uniform, 2 hours homework a night, all the teachers called Sir or Madam. Also, it has gone from being mildly Catholic to fiercely Catholic - prayers every day, nuns in the corridor, 3 hours RE a week, etc etc. There are British flags on the wall in several classrooms, demanding respect for British values.

It is now a Good school with some Outstanding aspects, sending black, WWC and Muslim kids to Cambridge, UCL, Imperial, etc, last year.

Something is going RIGHT in some multicultural London schools, yet it is being done by a reversion to quite old-fashioned British schooling.

Conservatism works.
    London's getting wealthier, which is great for London and you will mostly hear these stories about a small number of London schools.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

How are student unions even allowed to ban what can be given to new students? Why are they allowed the power to control literature?
  • Options
    @britainelects: Westminster voting intention:
    CON: 37% (-2)
    LAB: 31% (+1)
    UKIP: 17% (+1)
    LDEM: 7% (+1)
    GRN: 2% (-1)
    (via YouGov / 30 Sep - 01 Oct)
  • Options
    SeanT said:

was 8 points last time

Don't we normally see a 4-6 point party bounce after a Conference? And this is during Corbyn's "honeymoon".

lol
    It's the new, gentler kind of politics, where no-one wants to upset the polls by moving them too much.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

was 8 points last time

Don't we normally see a 4-6 point party bounce after a Conference? And this is during Corbyn's "honeymoon".

lol
    If JackW is around tonight, he'd be saying Jeremy Corbyn will never be Prime Minister, those supplementaries are horrific for Jezbollah and Labour.
  • Options

You should warn people who might click on that they could end up choking or spraying their drink over the keyboard.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

Not so much a nation heaping up its own funeral pyre as standing on top of it, pouring a can of petrol over its head, and setting light to it.
    Yes it is obvious that Sweden's long-term policy of welcoming refugees has led to massive destruction of its wealth and massive dissatisfaction with life outcomes according to all domestic and international observers. In fact, you cannot get flights to Sweden any more because all the demand is for flights out of the country by Swedish refugees looking for safe havens in St Helens and other mainly-white towns where they feel safe among their fellow white people and which are better-off than Sweden.
  • Options
    Correction, via Matt Singh.

CON 37 (-2)
    LAB 31 (=)
    LIB 7 (+1)
    UKIP 17 (+1)
    GRN 2 (-1)

So no Lab bounce during conference week. In the grand scheme of things that not soooo bad
  • Options

John_M said:

watford30 said:

Don't.
    I have Win 8.1 and hate it. If Win 10 is no better then it is my last Windows computer.
    My wife likes her MS Surface which has something of a 10 look and feel (I believe) .
    I would like a simple windows laptop with long battery life, light weight, just geared to word processing.
  • Options

@britainelects: Westminster voting intention:
    CON: 37% (-2)
    LAB: 31% (+1)
    UKIP: 17% (+1)
    LDEM: 7% (+1)
    GRN: 2% (-1)
    (via YouGov / 30 Sep - 01 Oct)

Is that the biggest share for UKIP since the election?
  • Options
    Dair said:

You should warn people who might click on that they could end up choking or spraying their drink over the keyboard.
    PBers are well versed in Lib Dem bar charts

http://politicalbetting.s3.amazonaws.com/Barnsley+bar+chart.jpg
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@tnewtondunn: EXCL: YouGov/Sun poll - Corbyn judged worst new Opposition Leader since polls began in 1955; https://t.co/oewvcU7Jse https://t.co/EXq8cokRmz

The only way is up then!
  • Options
    UKIP at 17% - migration crisis having an effect maybe but 71% thinking labour need to make major changes to be fit for government and Corbyn the worst opposition leader ever when he has had wall to wall coverage with no other party receiving coverage is surely the end of the line. Interesting how the Conservative Conference will be covered with a positive aspirational message against Labour's doom and gloom
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

Correction, via Matt Singh.

CON 37 (-2)
    LAB 31 (=)
    LIB 7 (+1)
    UKIP 17 (+1)
    GRN 2 (-1)

So no Lab bounce during conference week. In the grand scheme of things that not soooo bad

The death of UKIP I see.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    While the YouGov poll is obviously not good for Labour, could the supplementary questions be more leading?
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293

Go through the privacy settings with a fine tooth comb. If you are using a microsoft account , and the only one on the computer, go to the run command and type netplwiz, untick user must enter password every time, you will get a prompt put in your microsoft account email address and password.

If you are moving from windows 8, you will breath a sigh of relief and go 'thank f***, that was awful, who thought windows 8 was good?'.

From windows 7, it is a bit trickier. The start menu is not as useful or customisable and windows 7, though the machine is much quicker.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

EPG said:

Sean_F said:

I'm sure the Union do have the legal right to prevent the distribution of opinions that dissent from their own ultra-left views. But, I doubt if that is desirable or reasonable.

Is it desirable for a student union to organise and finance publicity for jokes or levity about "racism, sexual violence, and homophobia"?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

was 8 points last time

lol
    'Labour have seriously lost touch with ordinary working people' Agree 58%!!!