Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Fiorina now leading the Donald in New Hampshire – where the

Comments

• Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Biden stories continue to circulate, including some that potential donors are encouraging to enter, but to do so soon rather than leave it much longer. Now a story that his wife has issued the all clear:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/jill-biden-supports-a-presidential-run-by-her-husband-joe-biden-for-election-2016/

A negative for Biden is that MSNBC (ludicrously left wing) reported that his attempts to woo the black Congressional Caucus from supporting Hillary did not go too well.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/biden-tries-but-black-lawmakers-still-love-clinton/vp-AAeuoBf

On the other hand, the NY Post (ludicrously right wing) today gives a different story:

http://nypost.com/2015/09/20/congressional-black-caucus-urges-biden-to-enter-2016-race/
  • Options
    Good evening, everyone.

F1: does the VW super-fine (if it happens) imperil Red Bull and Toro Rosso? Perhaps.

Meanwhile, Grosjean seems set to move to Haas: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/34316550

BBC Gossip page reckons Button's going to retire.

And, reportedly, the Renault-Lotus deal is done.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Tim_B said:

MTimT said:

Tim_B said:

MTimT said:

Tim_B said:

Carly Fiorina looks like great value at 50/1 on Boylesport's website - the trouble is when I try to place even the most modest of bets, the shutters come crashing down.
    The next best value is Betfair's nothing like as attractive current price of 25 or 22.8/1 net in old money, but possibly still worth a punt if you believe that latest poll showing her leading the GOP field in New Hampshire and of course betting on the exchange provides an opportunity to trade out if that is one's preferred option.
    DYOR.

Maybe you should become Peter from Mortlake or Peter from Barnes ;)
    I'm impressed by your local knowledge and to be honest you're not far off the mark.
    Lived on Dymock Street for a while, the other side of the Hurlingham Club, and distinctly down market from Putney!
    Is that near the Wandsworth bridge?
    Yes, very close. Heading south on Wandsworth Bridge Road, last road before the bridge to the west (right), then second on the right.
    I knew south west London very well in the early to mid 70s, particularly the Bull at Sheen..

Incidentally I'll be up your way next month.
    Email me with your dates. I am around the first three weeks but head back to Pakistan the last week. It would be great to meet up. Will you be in DC?
  • Options
    Piggate and journalistic standards. Can anyone remind me how long it has been since we were discussing The Sun's known-to-be-false story about Jeremy Corbyn's £45 conman? Some pb-ers were less censorious.

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. -- Groucho Marx
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

Lord Ashcroft’s story about Cameron and the pig would not have passed the basic standards demanded by a tabloid newspaper

Except the DM is a tabloid.... Perhaps standards have dropped somewhat?

They're serialising a book rather than publishing the story directly themselves.
    And what exactly does that change? It is not meant to be a work of fiction. If it contains unproven allegations that lead to libel then the DM is also open to charges for repeating the libel.

It seems like a risky strategy given that all other media outlets are handling it with kid gloves and in the most oblique fashion. Why are they all being so cautious if there is no need?
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Yeah yeah the story has to be true..... All pigs fed and ready near a fly....

;-)
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,667

Good evening, everyone.

F1: does the VW super-fine (if it happens) imperil Red Bull and Toro Rosso? Perhaps.

Meanwhile, Grosjean seems set to move to Haas: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/34316550

VW racing has support from the current CEO, bit going by today's chatter his days are seriously numbered. There's a good chance that VW will get sued for billions imna class action suit as well, and have an investigation in the EU and an EU level fine if they are found to be cheating the tests. The new CEO may want to pursue a back to basics strategy of the fines and lawsuits clean them out.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669

Good evening, everyone.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2015/09/20/volkswagen-ceo-martin-winterkorn-apologizes-epa-clean-air-act-emissions-violations/72519678/
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,070
    Apparently there will be more revelations tomorrow about drugs and hunting. The mind boggles.

Isabel Oakeshott seems an interesting character. Who would have thought a Sunday Times journalist and Chipping Norton resident would turn out to be a double agent?
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    MTimT said:

Tim_B said:

MTimT said:

Tim_B said:

MTimT said:

Tim_B said:

Carly Fiorina looks like great value at 50/1 on Boylesport's website - the trouble is when I try to place even the most modest of bets, the shutters come crashing down.
    The next best value is Betfair's nothing like as attractive current price of 25 or 22.8/1 net in old money, but possibly still worth a punt if you believe that latest poll showing her leading the GOP field in New Hampshire and of course betting on the exchange provides an opportunity to trade out if that is one's preferred option.
    DYOR.

Maybe you should become Peter from Mortlake or Peter from Barnes ;)
    I'm impressed by your local knowledge and to be honest you're not far off the mark.
    Lived on Dymock Street for a while, the other side of the Hurlingham Club, and distinctly down market from Putney!
    Is that near the Wandsworth bridge?
    Yes, very close. Heading south on Wandsworth Bridge Road, last road before the bridge to the west (right), then second on the right.
    I knew south west London very well in the early to mid 70s, particularly the Bull at Sheen..

Incidentally I'll be up your way next month.
    Email me with your dates. I am around the first three weeks but head back to Pakistan the last week. It would be great to meet up. Will you be in DC?
    Will do.
  • Options

Piggate and journalistic standards. Can anyone remind me how long it has been since we were discussing The Sun's known-to-be-false story about Jeremy Corbyn's £45 conman? Some pb-ers were less censorious.

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. -- Groucho Marx

If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed. -

Mark Twain
  • Options

Lord Ashcroft’s story about Cameron and the pig would not have passed the basic standards demanded by a tabloid newspaper

They're serialising a book rather than publishing the story directly themselves.
    And what exactly does that change? It is not meant to be a work of fiction. If it contains unproven allegations that lead to libel then the DM is also open to charges for repeating the libel.

It seems like a risky strategy given that all other media outlets are handling it with kid gloves and in the most oblique fashion. Why are they all being so cautious if there is no need?
    It won't go near the libel courts, and if it did, where's the damage? The reasons the other papers aren't joining in might be:
    1) it's a non-story
    2) Murdoch is pro-Tory
    3) they don't want their readers rushing out to buy the Daily Mail.

Probably the third weighs heaviest.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662

Presumably the broadcast media will have issues over whether they can repeat the story for a 'family' audience, quite aside from any legal considerations.
  • Options

I think the DM would like to see itself a tad above the "Red Tops", from whence the journalist hailed
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,218
    As well as Corbyn's win and the U.S. debates OGH you also missed a new PM in Australia and the re-election of Tsipras and Syriza
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,949
    edited September 2015

Apparently there will be more revelations tomorrow about drugs and hunting. The mind boggles.

:open_mouth:

• Options
    MaxPB said:

Good evening, everyone.

VW racing has support from the current CEO, bit going by today's chatter his days are seriously numbered. There's a good chance that VW will get sued for billions imna class action suit as well, and have an investigation in the EU and an EU level fine if they are found to be cheating the tests. The new CEO may want to pursue a back to basics strategy of the fines and lawsuits clean them out.
    Yes, this might all be most unfortunate timing for Red Bull.

I wonder how many other car manufacturers are also using the same, or similar, techniques?

As I've said before, we need independent testing labs for all performance-related metrics used in tests and advertising. Testing labs pick one car at random out of every (say) 100,000 sold from a forecourt and run it through the tests. If any problems are found, more are tested at random.

The car manufacturers have proved time and time again they cannot be trusted, and the fines'll pat for a fair few labs and tests. ;)
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474

I think the DM would like to see itself a tad above the "Red Tops", from whence the journalist hailed
    The 'Kardashian and beach photography' side bar puts them firmly in tabloid territory.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087
    I wonder if it's a coincidence that a relative has just forwarded me an email to a petition calling on Cameron to face a vote of no confidence by the Queen and be replaced (it's a bit confused to be honest).

I was most confused to see 'This is not a government that the people voted in majority for', as to my recollection that is indeed what the people just did (and it cannot be a point about the electoral system, or it would say so presumably, as no other party was 'voted in majority for')
  • Options
    Early days, it's not scientific, but the comments on this BBC migrant piece suggest people are not necessarily swayed by the broadcast media coverage:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-34311254
  • Options

Sounds pretty dull - I know people have joked about this pig stuff being the sort of thing you expect from the upper classes, but drugs and hunting stuff is really what they expect.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,059
    edited September 2015
    kle4 said:

Sounds pretty dull - I know people have joked about this pig stuff being the sort of thing you expect from the upper classes, but drugs and hunting stuff is really what they expect.
    He could have drugged & beheaded Cecil the Lion & the Tories on here would say it's not as bad as Corbyn being a vegetarian and swatting a fly
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I wonder if it's a coincidence that a relative has just forwarded me an email to a petition calling on Cameron to face a vote of no confidence by the Queen and be replaced (it's a bit confused to be honest).

I was most confused to see 'This is not a government that the people voted in majority for', as to my recollection that is indeed what the people just did (and it cannot be a point about the electoral system, or it would say so presumably, as no other party was 'voted in majority for')

Obviously whoever drafted it has no idea what they are talking about but it is amusing to see a (presumably) lefty suggesting what looks like an exercise of the Royal Prerogative.
  • Options
    Mr. Isam, perhaps, but it's also the case that those generally opposed to Cameron typically have little problem accepting what may be an entirely untrue allegation against him.
  • Options

A PM's position to pursue litigation does make it incredibly difficult I suppose insofar as they could be called in event of court proceedings or I presume so? Bit tricky when still in office because the denial has been tried before and proven well economical with the actual " I did not have relations etc etc...."

Perhaps a boar..ed of enquiry instead to see if someone will squeal?
  • Options
    isam said:

kle4 said:

He could have drugged & beheaded Cecil the Lion & the Tories on here would say it's not as bad as Corbyn being a vegetarian and swatting a fly
    Someone should remind you of this next time Farage gets a negative story printed about him and you go all defensive.

Don't worry, it won't be long ... ;)
  • Options
    My opinion of Lord Ashcroft has greatly diminished today.
  • Options
    Got the sneaking suspicion that this piggie story will make Cameron a much richer man..
  • Options

Mr. Isam, perhaps, but it's also the case that those generally opposed to Cameron typically have little problem accepting what may be an entirely untrue allegation against him.

Why else would Ashcroft bother to write anything other than as a hatchet job? He has no interest in a hagiography. As Mitchell proved when he took out a summons (and when he looked to have a pretty good case) the truth is no guarantee of justice.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,221

isam said:

kle4 said:

Someone should remind you of this next time Farage gets a negative story printed about him and you go all defensive.

I'm struggling to think of a story about Farage. There are plenty of Ukip stories - some of which were completely untrue and defamatory.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

isam said:

kle4 said:

I'm struggling to think of a story about Farage. There are plenty of Ukip stories - some of which were completely untrue and defamatory.
    You evidently don't pay much attention:
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/dec/07/nigel-farage-blames-immigration-m4-traffic-ukip-reception
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/nigel-farages-carcrash-lbc-interview-halted-by-ukip-spin-doctor-over-expenses-queries-9386105.html
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/general-election-2015/11506884/Nigel-Farage-Britons-so-ill-at-ease-with-immigrants-their-children-cannot-play-in-the-streets.html

+ more.
  • Options
    edited September 2015

tlg86 said:

isam said:

kle4 said:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/dec/07/nigel-farage-blames-immigration-m4-traffic-ukip-reception
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/nigel-farages-carcrash-lbc-interview-halted-by-ukip-spin-doctor-over-expenses-queries-9386105.html
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/general-election-2015/11506884/Nigel-Farage-Britons-so-ill-at-ease-with-immigrants-their-children-cannot-play-in-the-streets.html

+ more.
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/married-nigel-farage-pictured-hand-in-hand-3646619

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2649305/I-didnt-bed-Ukip-leader-Nigel-Farage-calls-photos-holding-hands-disabled-woman-abhorrent-mischief-making.html
  • Options
    Roger said:
    'Perhaps it's a case of mistaken identity' says Ashcroft.
    No response from alleged owner of alleged photograph
    Vague talk about 'debauched ' parties.... bit only 'in Cameron's day'. ie. Not with him present.
    Hmmm...
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Well reading some of the details of the story, I think I can make an educated guess who the MP, who was at Oxford at the same time as Cameron and could have witnessed the whole thing, is. I'm suspecting a quite fair-haired person.

https://twitter.com/suttonnick/status/645722241016029185/photo/1
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,022
    edited September 2015
    Speedy said:

Well reading some of the details of the story, I think I can make an educated guess who the MP, who was at Oxford at the same time as Cameron and could have witnessed the whole thing, is. I'm suspecting a quite fair-haired person.

All that was in today's edition. Where's the new gossip?

I'm an idiot. That was yesterday!

My coat, Jeeves. :D
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited September 2015

Evening all.

His Lordship is wealthy enough not to give a hoot about what others think of him. For Isabel Oakeshott on the other hand, it is her profession so gawd knows why she got herself involved in this tawdry little book.
  • Options

Yes I fear his obituary will dwell on the pig story rather than his good works
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,221

tlg86 said:

isam said:

kle4 said:

+ more.
    Oh - they're about what he's said - as opposed to accusations of him being a drug user or something.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    The drugs allegation is hardly dynamite either. "Smoked weed" and "allowed cocaine to circulate at parties at his house" (but no allegation of actually taking cocaine and the actual allegation being impossible to disprove).
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited September 2015
    Are people really sure Piggate won't have a poitical impact? I don't think people will be morally outraged by it, and I would agree that the "look at how alien those posh boys are" angle is priced in at this point. The real danger is that it makes Cameron look like a laughing stock. His main selling point to people who hate the Tories has been that he's a statesman who "looks the part" on the world stage. Is that reputation going to stand after an endless tirade of pig jokes? Questionable.

Arguably, the biggest factor that undid the Major government was not their nastiness or the 'Black Wednesday' incompetence, but the 'Back to Basics' sex scandals....
  • Options
    RobD said:

Speedy said:

A libel case from the PM against said suspect MP will be a little tricky, as both figures are very prominent conservatives.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Are people really sure Piggate won't have a poitical impact? I don't think people will be morally outraged by it, and I would agree that the "look at how alien those posh boys are" angle is priced in at this point. The real danger is that it makes Cameron look like a laughing stock. His main selling point to people who hate the Tories has been that he's a statesman who "looks the part" on the world stage. Is that reputation going to stand after an endless tirade of pig jokes? Questionable.

Arguably, the biggest factor that undid the Major government was not their nastiness or the 'Black Wednesday' incompetence, but the 'Back to Basics' sex scandals....

If it's the only 'weird' allegation that emerges, I don't expect to have a lasting impact - I think the cumulative impact is the key with such things, unless there are other factors seriously dragging the party down at the same time.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

It really is outrageous if a lie can destroy someone's reputation. Even if he did sue, the damage is done as his opponents will just believe it happened regardless

Any lawyers know if there is a statute of limitations on libel?
  • Options
    Has anyone called for a Judge led inquiry yet?
  • Options
    Speedy said:

RobD said:

Speedy said:

A libel case from the PM against said suspect MP will be a little tricky, as both figures are very prominent conservatives.
    The libel would be against the publishers, surely. Has the source been described as "very prominent"?
  • Options

isam said:

kle4 said:

I am not having a go at Cameron about this in the slightest, couldn't care less, don't think it makes him unfit to be what he currently is, etc etc

Just noting the different standards that apply to each politician depending on whether he or she is one of ours or one of theirs

Cameron in South Africa and Corbyn in East Germany pre political days is the biggest case of double standards in my book.
  • Options
    calum said:
    Cameron should wear one himself :D Twitter would go off on one.
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    Reading the comments on social media, having left the office now, some of which are very funny, I wonder if Cameron may feel compelled to take action against Ashcroft/the Mail/the publishers - assuming he was 100% not involved in this - to ensure he doesn't become a figure of fun.

How can he go "out on the stump" if he's going to be forever now plagued with comedy pig references, idiots in pig costumes, oinking, pork references etc?

It's a bit like the fire safety officer in Phoenix Nights with his supposed predilection for canines destroying his credibility and reputation forevermore...
  • Options
    RobD said:

Danny565 said:

It really is outrageous if a lie can destroy someone's reputation. Even if he did sue, the damage is done as his opponents will just believe it happened regardless

RobD said:

Danny565 said:

Quite.... Innocent face and all that.
  • Options
    Mr. D, I quite agree.

It will be very interesting to see the impact, or lack thereof, the allegation has.
  • Options
    Seen from abroad, we have an anti-Semitic leader of the opposition who supports terrorism and a prime minister who has had sexual relations with a dead pig. That's some double whammy.
  • Options
    watford30 said:

tlg86 said:

isam said:

kle4 said:

+ more.
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/married-nigel-farage-pictured-hand-in-hand-3646619

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2649305/I-didnt-bed-Ukip-leader-Nigel-Farage-calls-photos-holding-hands-disabled-woman-abhorrent-mischief-making.html
    The Mirror was great on the hand holding one.. the following day Farage said "Ok next time there is a disabled person in need I wont helpthen"

Front page of next days Mirror "FARAGE: I wont help the disabled"

In hindsight, The Mirror should actually have bigged UKIP up, they could have prevented a Tory majority

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,028
    edited September 2015
    Mr. Sykes, and if he lost [as Mitchell lost], that'd be game over.

I wonder if he'll wait until he's no longer PM, and then sue.

Edited extra bit: Mr. Observer, quite. Except that Corbyn's views are a matter of public record, whereas it's my understanding Cameron does not agree with the Ashcroft account of his past.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Danny565 said:

The longer you leave it the more licence you give for it to be repeated.

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,855
    edited September 2015
    Speedy said:

Was the "fair haired person" an MP in June 2014?
  • Options

RobD said:

Danny565 said:

The longer you leave it the more licence you give for it to be repeated.

Yeah, I assumed that delay would be used against you in court. Being PM maybe somewhat mitigating!
  • Options
    edited September 2015

Seen from abroad, we have an anti-Semitic leader of the opposition who supports terrorism and a prime minister who has had sexual relations with a dead pig. That's some double whammy.

The Jewish vote must be seriously in flux now.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,771

seems pretty normal for the english.
  • Options

Speedy said:

He's certainly an MP now.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Speedy said:

RobD said:

Speedy said:

The libel would be against the publishers, surely. Has the source been described as "very prominent"?

The source has not been identified and could deny it. Libel 101 is don't rely on off the record, unattributable briefings, If it did come to court, the defence would presumably be that the book is reporting the rumour, not saying it is true. That is, unless there is proof. Presumably Cameron would have known in advance of today that the story was in the book and would run in the Daily Mail.

• Options
    RobD said:

calum said:
    Cameron should wear one himself :D Twitter would go off on one.
    http://rlv.zcache.ca/cute_pigs_tie_for_pig_lovers-r74afda9196194fe69c1defa2e9baa3a8_v9whb_8byvr_324.jpg

It's also Tory blue... What's not to like?
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Oh, can we please hereafter refer to it as the "Bae of Pigs". Just saw that on Twitter.
  • Options

Mr. Sykes, and if he lost [as Mitchell lost], that'd be game over.

I wonder if he'll wait until he's no longer PM, and then sue.

Edited extra bit: Mr. Observer, quite. Except that Corbyn's views are a matter of public record, whereas it's my understanding Cameron does not agree with the Ashcroft account of his past.

Whether any of it is true or not is beside the point in terms of forming the impression.

• Options

RobD said:

Speedy said:

RobD said:

Speedy said:

The source has not been identified and could deny it. Libel 101 is don't rely on off the record, unattributable briefings, If it did come to court, the defence would presumably be that the book is reporting the rumour, not saying it is true. That is, unless there is proof. Presumably Cameron would have known in advance of today that the story was in the book and would run in the Daily Mail.

Wouldn't that defence give them the ability to say anything they want, under the guise of it being a rumour?
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    Limitation is 1 year in defamation
  • Options

seems pretty normal for the english.

racist ;-)

• Options
    RobD said:

Speedy said:

RobD said:

Speedy said:

Are there many MP's from Oxford, yes.
    But there are not many MP's who were at Oxford with Cameron and going around in the same places as him, the list is limited.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Typical EU beaurocrat meddling in Greece yet again:
    Martin Schulz said: 'I called him (Tsipras) a second time to ask him why he was continuing a coalition with this strange, far right party.
    An interesting definition of what a far-right political party is.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3243154/It-s-not-day-Greece-loggerheads-EU-24-hours-Tsipras-election-win-head-European-Parliament-questions-Syriza-s-strange-far-right-coalition-partner.html
  • Options
    I'm sorry but I had to smile (warning, bad language - sorry if already posted)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=36&v=FBpQJ98rR4o
  • Options
    Suing holds many dangers. For instance, if he sues about the 'pig' allegation, then people will assume that any other allegations are correct (because he isn't bothering suing about them). If he sues for everything that is incorrect, then he stands less chance of winning because there might be one little flaw in the case.

It's going to be interesting to see where this heads.
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656

RobD said:

Speedy said:

RobD said:

Speedy said:

Surely that is not a libel defence. If I said there was a rumour Mr Prominent Politician had sex with a young boy during his time in the army, I would definitely be held account for libel if I could not substantiate it.
  • Options

Reading the comments on social media, having left the office now, some of which are very funny, I wonder if Cameron may feel compelled to take action against Ashcroft/the Mail/the publishers - assuming he was 100% not involved in this - to ensure he doesn't become a figure of fun.

How can he go "out on the stump" if he's going to be forever now plagued with comedy pig references, idiots in pig costumes, oinking, pork references etc?

It's a bit like the fire safety officer in Phoenix Nights with his supposed predilection for canines destroying his credibility and reputation forevermore...

He's stuck with this whatever happens. And there is no amount of money that would worry Ashcroft, should it come to court. Billionaires can basically do whatever they want, as long as it is not criminal.

• Options

Limitation is 1 year in defamation

Yes, Limitation Act 1980.

Perhaps Cam is trying to remember what he got up to before advising his lawyers :D
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Speedy said:

He's certainly an MP now.
    Perhaps imprecise writing, but Ashcroft appears to suggest that the person in question was an MP in mid-2014, which would rule out one prominent fair haired MP......
  • Options

tlg86 said:

isam said:

kle4 said:

+ more.
    Here's one that lots of people liked to believe

"In print and online articles in April and May 2013 we said that Alex Wood, who was standing for UKIP in the May 2013 local elections in Somerset, had been photographed making a 'Nazi salute'. We also said that he had made racist comments on Facebook.

We now accept that these allegations were wrong and there is no reason to believe that Mr Wood is a racist or a Nazi. The photograph, one of a series of photographs appearing on his Facebook page, was taken out of context. Mr Wood was reaching out to stop a friend taking a photo on a mobile phone. The comments on Facebook purportedly made by Mr Wood were not made by him and the police have confirmed that they were not made by Mr Wood.

We apologise to Mr Wood for the allegations made and any hurt and distress caused as a result. We hope this apology will go some way to repairing Mr Wood’s reputation.”"

http://www.mirror.co.uk/for-the-record/alex-wood-an-apology-6209529
  • Options
    Speedy said:

RobD said:

Speedy said:

RobD said:

Speedy said:

Are there many MP's from Oxford, yes.
    But there are not many MP's who were at Oxford with Cameron and going around in the same places as him, the list is limited.
    Don't worry, SO'll try to blame Rory Stewart, despite him being seven years younger than Cameron and not at Oxford at the same time. :)
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,252
    I'm a litigation lawyer. I spent more of my time advising people not to sue rather than the opposite. Litigation always costs more (and in more than financial ways) than you can possibly imagine. It should always be used as a last resort.
  • Options
    JEO said:

RobD said:

Speedy said:

RobD said:

Speedy said:

Surely that is not a libel defence. If I said there was a rumour Mr Prominent Politician had sex with a young boy during his time in the army, I would definitely be held account for libel if I could not substantiate it.

I am trying to work out what a defence could be if there is no proof of this. It is certainly flimsy, but it's hard to imagine the Mail or Ian Dale publishing without some kind of evidence it happened. The lawyers would have had kittens. Maybe it is just that Ashcroft has indemnified everyone.

• Options

JEO said:

RobD said:

Speedy said:

RobD said:

Speedy said:

I am trying to work out what a defence could be if there is no proof of this. It is certainly flimsy, but it's hard to imagine the Mail or Ian Dale publishing without some kind of evidence it happened. The lawyers would have had kittens. Maybe it is just that Ashcroft has indemnified everyone.

Wouldn't it ultimately be on the publisher of the book?
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Britain's Labour will languish under new leader, Italian PM says

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2015/09/21/uk-italy-britain-labour-idUKKCN0RL1XM20150921
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Speedy said:

RobD said:

Speedy said:

Wouldn't that defence give them the ability to say anything they want, under the guise of it being a rumour?
    Correct.

It won't get you out of trouble 9 times out of 10 - the implication is that the reported statement is true.

Can reduce any award though.
  • Options
    RobD said:

JEO said:

RobD said:

Speedy said:

RobD said:

Speedy said:

I have been sued for libel. It's not nice. But when it happened, everyone connected was sued - the printer, the publisher, the journalist, me as editor. They would go for everyone they could I imagine. It's hard to believe that the Mail would not be targeted. But it could be Ashcroft has promised to cover everyone.

We won the case in the end, btw. But it took years. Luckily my employer - Associated Press, publisher of the Daily Mail - had insurance and we were covered by it.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,939
    The chances are that Ashcroft offered to indemnify the Mail against any libel claim. Unfortunately that's one of the many injustices in this country.

Rich people are untouchable.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

some thoughts

1. Loss of authority could be terminal
    2. Shows power of those behind the apparent leaders, ie Ashcroft can pull the plug on Cameron if he wants, due to his powerful position and the fact that he has authority within the Press. He and the Mail don’t care for Cameron, hence this attack. Imagine if I said this about Chris Grayling (I was at Uni with him, and of course this isn't true of him) – no one would print it
    3. Also initiation rites are deliberate control on future elites, to keep them in line in future
    4. However it is also represents wider sexual violence, humiliation, denigration of poor people, etc, by the ruling elite

hey!

Come on @TheScreamingEagles I know this is your last day (for your efforts thanks) but if you are going to set up a spoof account to continue posting to try to make us believe you are some bonkers lefty you are going to have to do better than this.
    Thanks, I thought I was a real person, but maybe you know better!
    You are a real person and apologies if you were offended by what I said.

talking about elites is always tricky. What, for example, was the percentage of the population who went to university at the time of Chris Grayling? Would that have constituted an elite?
    Of course, every poster on here is a member of the elite. But, shush don't tell anyone.
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    It's pretty disgusting of this journalist to ask Osborne about the poke-in-a-pig incident when he's on a state visit to China:

https://twitter.com/PA/status/645886223622475781

Is this journalist trying to make Britain look bad in front of an emerging superpower?
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Roger said:

The chances are that Ashcroft offered to indemnify the Mail against any libel claim. Unfortunately that's one of the many injustices in this country.

Rich people are untouchable.

Perhaps Cam could introduce legislation to strip non-doms of peerages. :D
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Let's hear about #pigate from Isabel Oakeshott herself:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0332t86
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,218
    Interesting Ashcroft waited until a few months after the election to publish to do maximum damage to Cameron while limiting the damage to the party. As a billionaire or close to it I doubt he cares about any libel risk he can afford a legal case. I doubt it really harms Dave though. Interesting too that Dave smoked weed with James Delingpole and then went 'wooding' for girls with Cameron having many overnight visitors apparently, although perhaps too much information
  • Options
    isam said:

tlg86 said:

isam said:

kle4 said:

+ more.
    Here's one that lots of people liked to believe

"In print and online articles in April and May 2013 we said that Alex Wood, who was standing for UKIP in the May 2013 local elections in Somerset, had been photographed making a 'Nazi salute'. We also said that he had made racist comments on Facebook.

We now accept that these allegations were wrong and there is no reason to believe that Mr Wood is a racist or a Nazi. The photograph, one of a series of photographs appearing on his Facebook page, was taken out of context. Mr Wood was reaching out to stop a friend taking a photo on a mobile phone. The comments on Facebook purportedly made by Mr Wood were not made by him and the police have confirmed that they were not made by Mr Wood.

We apologise to Mr Wood for the allegations made and any hurt and distress caused as a result. We hope this apology will go some way to repairing Mr Wood’s reputation.”"

http://www.mirror.co.uk/for-the-record/alex-wood-an-apology-6209529
    Yep, that was terrible.

But it wasn't about Farage.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,771
    JEO said:

It's pretty disgusting of this journalist to ask Osborne about the poke-in-a-pig incident when he's on a state visit to China:

Is this journalist trying to make Britain look bad in front of an emerging superpower?

we;ve already done that by sending Osborne,
  • Options
    edited September 2015

He's stuck with this whatever happens. And there is no amount of money that would worry Ashcroft, should it come to court. Billionaires can basically do whatever they want, as long as it is not criminal.

Who's got the bigger wad? Ashcroft. Game Over.

Libel cases are rarely about the truth, but who has more cash and can grind down their opponent with legal bills. You want to take a big case to Court? You're looking at 6/7 figure costs.
  • Options
    Not sure how old Cameron's kids are, but I do feel sorry for them. They'll be getting some stick over this [NB I said much the same when the raw meat nonsense happened with Jacqui Smith and her husband].
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,079
    JEO said:

Asking a politician a question is unpatriotic now.
  • Options
    JEO said:

?

George may be grand, but he's not that grand - only Brenda does State Visits
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

I'm a litigation lawyer. I spent more of my time advising people not to sue rather than the opposite. Litigation always costs more (and in more than financial ways) than you can possibly imagine. It should always be used as a last resort.

I can see the logic and the sense in what you say and sensible advice but it leaves a doubt. Smoke and fire etc. Surbiton referenced this up thread where it was stated the fact that action had not been taken means "it must be true".

Here is the danger I think because I can fully understand the costs involved and avoidance is best but with no real means of defending an allegation in a court what do you do have? particularly if you do not have pots of money to pursue. Your name is trashed and you are placed in a position of double or quits and quite often double is the outcome this having done nothing wrong ( presuming allegations are false)

I suspect the small claims court and trading standards is not going to cut it really?
  • Options
    RobD said:

JEO said:

RobD said:

Speedy said:

RobD said:

Speedy said:

I believe Ashcroft owns part/all of the publisher.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,939
    I don't know what shocks me more. The Prime Minister caught in flagrante delicto with a dead pig or a standing ovation for the man who destroyed the Lib Dems