Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Fiorina now leading the Donald in New Hampshire – where the

Comments

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,949
    edited September 2015
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Loving the spin here about this now definitely not being true. I thought the line was it was no big deal, we've all been there?

Was that ever the line?

Isabell Oakeshott was on WATO whining that this story is one page out the entire book.

Translation

"I traded my journalistic repuation for a story we can't stand up. Please, please, please read the rest of the book or it was all for nought..."
    Scott_P said:

Loving the spin here about this now definitely not being true. I thought the line was it was no big deal, we've all been there?

Was that ever the line?

Isabell Oakeshott was on WATO whining that this story is one page out the entire book.

Translation

"I traded my journalistic repuation for a story we can't stand up. Please, please, please read the rest of the book or it was all for nought..."
    Curious attitude - if it's true, then it's explosive and deserves to be told and then proven, and the rest of the book will be looked at in time. If she doesn't like it getting the attention rather than the apparently moving account of Cameron's feelings about his first born, which the Mail say is also in there, or whatever well that's tough - truth or lie, it's so far the most significant allegation one way or another, she can defend it as being true but only one part of the tale, or say it shouldn't have been in there.
    I notice Lord A has buggered off to Gallipoli while this fiasco is going down, leaving poor Ms Oakeshott to carry the can...

Still more fool her for getting involved with such a dodgy character...
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Was that ever the line?

Translation

Yes, it's the author, dreadful for her. And awful for Lord Ashcroft, weeping all the way to the bank. And awful for anyone who reads it. The only one who comes out of this with dignity intact is clearly Cameron - it's a great day for him.
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    On the pig story, whilst I assume the hacks are in any event desperately trying to substantiate what they can and dredge up anything else, you can guarantee they'd be doing even more if Cameron came out and flat out denied the story. And that runs the risk of someone, however untrue the story is, purporting to corroborate it.

So best to maintain a dignified silence - or as dignified as one can when the entire planet is talking about you sticking your todger in a pig...
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

http://i.imgur.com/FtaPMZ5.png

Someone is about to get fired.

Is that SFW?
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

On the pig story, whilst I assume the hacks are in any event desperately trying to substantiate what they can and dredge up anything else, you can guarantee they'd be doing even more if Cameron came out and flat out denied the story. And that runs the risk of someone, however untrue the story is, purporting to corroborate it.

So best to maintain a dignified silence - or as dignified as one can when the entire planet is talking about you sticking your todger in a pig...

If the story was a lie, the lawyers would have been busy by now.

Though, it is hardly worth talking about. A posho f*cked a dead pig !
  • Options
    JWisemannJWisemann Posts: 1,082

Scott_P said:

Was that ever the line?

Translation

Yes, it's the author, dreadful for her. And awful for Lord Ashcroft, weeping all the way to the bank. And awful for anyone who reads it. The only one who comes out of this with dignity intact is clearly Cameron - it's a great day for him.
    I must say this is all silly, but half the entertainment is watching the extreme partisans try and shrug it off, least convincing performances this side of a Mexican telenovela.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,034
    Am I the only one who thinks Piers Gaveston sounds like some sort of indigestion tablet ?
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Suing is not easy, and can cause more problems. As a certain Tory ex-whip found out last parliament.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,095
    JWisemann said:

Scott_P said:

Was that ever the line?

Translation

I must say this is all silly, but half the entertainment is watching the extreme partisans try and shrug it off, least convincing performances this side of a Mexican telenovela.
    It is amusing. I hope partisans who do the same for their side learn something from it.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Was that ever the line?

Translation

Scott_P said:

Was that ever the line?

Translation

Curious attitude - if it's true, then it's explosive and deserves to be told and then proven, and the rest of the book will be looked at in time. If she doesn't like it getting the attention rather than the apparently moving account of Cameron's feelings about his first born, which the Mail say is also in there, or whatever well that's tough - truth or lie, it's so far the most significant allegation one way or another, she can defend it as being true but only one part of the tale, or say it shouldn't have been in there.
    I notice Lord A has buggered off to Gallipoli while this fiasco is going down, leaving poor Ms Oakeshott to carry the can...

His money was OK though !
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    Pulpstar said:

We keep calling it, and they call us partisan.

It's actually a free public service.

Having said that, I've been scratching my head about what free, non-partisan and helpful advice we can give to the dwindling band of sane Labour MPs on what to do about Corbyn, but I'm completely stumped.
    Difficult to see what they do indeed.

Just invest in him to keep the job I reckon:

http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/jeremy-corbyn-specials leader still at 1st Jan 2017 4-5.
    Labour should take great cheer from Greece, where it is clear that a politician can cast aside a life-time of principles, go through 180 degree change on his economic positions - and still be Prime Minister.

All they have to get is the 180 degree change from Jeremy....
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    The Mail has dumped Piggate in favour of arranged marriage bride suicide, and this in the headlines bar - Ivan.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3242585/The-tragic-child-Dave-human-spin-doctor-called-posh-t-er.html
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,667

MaxPB said:

Is that SFW?
    Yes, it's a picture of Jeremy Corbyn favouriting a tweet asking if it's better to f*** Diane Abbotor a pig. I think he has unfavourited now.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Am I the only one who thinks Piers Gaveston sounds like some sort of indigestion tablet ?

Yes
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    surbiton said:

If the lawyers are not involved, then the story dies after a few days. Involve the lawyers and it goes on for months.
  • Options
    JWisemannJWisemann Posts: 1,082
    kle4 said:

JWisemann said:

Scott_P said:

Was that ever the line?

Translation

It is amusing. I hope partisans who do the same for their side learn something from it.
    When something as batshit mental and hilarious does crop up I'll be sure to reflect on your ministrations.
  • Options
    edited September 2015

DavidL said:

They can try to control him through the Shadow Cabinet and get him to renounce the absurd and incoherent positions he has espoused for the last 30 years. That is the current strategy which, somewhat oddly, Tom Watson was warning against this morning. I can only infer he has not been invited into the cabal.

If that does not work they will need to humiliate him publically by having a majority of the PLP vote against him and hope he resigns in consequence.

The trouble with that approach is that he's going to try to get, and probably will get, support directly from party members for his policies. It's a mistake to underestimate him and his team (many of whom worked with Ken Livingstone, no slouch himself at manipulating Labour politics).
    If members of the shadow cabinet vote to bomb Syria, there will be trouble. Ed backed off last time because CLP's let the LoTO's office know that they would not stand for it.

Members would not accept a Blairite stance on this issue. A position backed by less than 5% of the party members as the humiliating votes Kendall got testifies.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Is that SFW?
    Not if holding any liquid near a keyboard.....
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,536

DavidL said:

They can try to control him through the Shadow Cabinet and get him to renounce the absurd and incoherent positions he has espoused for the last 30 years. That is the current strategy which, somewhat oddly, Tom Watson was warning against this morning. I can only infer he has not been invited into the cabal.

If that does not work they will need to humiliate him publically by having a majority of the PLP vote against him and hope he resigns in consequence.

The trouble with that approach is that he's going to try to get, and probably will get, support directly from party members for his policies. It's a mistake to underestimate him and his team (many of whom worked with Ken Livingstone, no slouch himself at manipulating Labour politics).
    Agreed. It is far from perfect. At the moment Shadow Ministers are quite freely saying they disagree with Corbyn and that is not party policy.

But what if it is? It is going to be a very interesting Conference. I fear that if the sane element have not brought him down by then it will become very, very difficult for them to remain in the party.

Nick and others who should know better seem to have very little appreciation of what they have done.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Is that SFW?
    Not if holding any liquid near a keyboard.....
    Not terribly safe on any ground, but I think I got away with it.
  • Options
    JWisemann said:

kle4 said:

JWisemann said:

Scott_P said:

Was that ever the line?

Translation

When something as batshit mental and hilarious does crop up I'll be sure to reflect on your ministrations.
    It's easier to find amusement in politics when not in love with one side or another. This is no EdStone, being harder to portray as symptomatic of something wider concerns about a person or party, but it's pretty good.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Yes. You need it when you f*ck a pig !
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,848
    surbiton said:

I have to admit it does look weak from the journalists' side. Their defence lies in an MP who apparently made the allegations at a meeting who named someone who claimed to have a photo. If it came to court presumably both the MP and the individual would be cross examined. There would have been people present at the meeting who could testify to the allegations having being made.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

If members of the shadow cabinet vote to bomb Syria, there will be trouble. Ed backed off last time because CLP's let the LoTO's office know that they would not stand for it.

Ed backed off last time because he was untrustworthy and thought he could gain the moral high ground without actually wrecking the motion.

This time, in very different circumstances, you are probably right, but that is exactly the problem. Labour manoeuvering itself into a position of not wanting to do anything about ISIS might not be exactly the smartest piece of political strategy.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

DavidL said:

Members would not accept a Blairite stance on this issue. A position backed by less than 5% of the party members as the humiliating votes Kendall got testifies.
    As Jeremy is no longer attached to Stop The War, he is free to take up Tony Blair's traditional Labour Party role as Chair of Start The War.....
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    surbiton said:

GIN1138 said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Was that ever the line?

Translation

Scott_P said:

Was that ever the line?

Translation

Isn't Isabell Oakeshott the daughter of batty lefty LibDem Lord Oakeshott?

• Options
    shadsyshadsy Posts: 289
    I've got £2 on Carly at 350/1. Having said that, I've also backed Huckabee, Perry, Walker, Kasich and probably some other Republicans who are tanking.

Rubio is starting to look a very viable option, as argued here:
    http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/rubio-and-the-process-of-elimination-primary?utm_content=buffer23b5a&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

• Options
    MaxPB said:

I have also noticed that we're coming to the put up or shut up stage of this fiasco. If the Mail and Aschcroft are unable to produce this photographic evidence they have alleged exists then I think it will need to be retracted. There are too many people rubbishing the claims who would know about it if it had happened.

Why should they ? No lawyers have written to them. Proves they are correct !
  • Options
    kle4 said:

JWisemann said:

kle4 said:

JWisemann said:

Scott_P said:

Was that ever the line?

Translation

It's easier to find amusement in politics when not in love with one side or another. This is no EdStone, being harder to portray as symptomatic of something wider concerns about a person or party, but it's pretty good.
    I just have political principles. I don't hate Cameron, I don't even really care about his porcine proclivites, I merely resent him expediting the destruction of this country. If he started leading the country out of decline tomorrow, he'd have my full support, and the same goes for any political leader of any stripe. I really can't understand anyone being otherwise. Some tribal football team-ish feeling that 'we' won? Quite ridiculous.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,848
    Distinguished Oxford contemporary, now an MP, claims Prime Minister once took part in an outrageous initiation ceremony involving a dead pig
    - Daily Mail

The "Distinguished Oxford contemporary, now an MP" wasn't George Osborne, I hope?
  • Options
    shadsy said:

I've got £2 on Carly at 350/1. Having said that, I've also backed Huckabee, Perry, Walker, Kasich and probably some other Republicans who are tanking.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/rubio-and-the-process-of-elimination-primary?utm_content=buffer23b5a&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Stop fanning Rubio. The Pope is with Obama on this. Rubio is dead in the water.
  • Options
    perdix said:

surbiton said:

GIN1138 said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Was that ever the line?

Translation

Scott_P said:

Was that ever the line?

Translation

They are related - but I thought they were cousins?
  • Options
    shadsy said:

I like Rubio too. My principal position is on the Republicans, though (at around 2.4 av). This looks a 50-50 call to me: it's only the "crazy" candidates having their day in the sun that is keeping the odds where they are.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    surbiton said:

MaxPB said:

I have also noticed that we're coming to the put up or shut up stage of this fiasco. If the Mail and Aschcroft are unable to produce this photographic evidence they have alleged exists then I think it will need to be retracted. There are too many people rubbishing the claims who would know about it if it had happened.

No, it doesn't. Media management. Why prolong the story by kicking off a legal battle, and running up a 6 or 7 figure lawyers bill.
  • Options

surbiton said:

DavidL said:

As Jeremy is no longer attached to Stop The War, he is free to take up Tony Blair's traditional Labour Party role as Chair of Start The War.....
    Post of the day
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Pulpstar said:

More than likely. ;)
  • Options

surbiton said:

Ed backed off last time because he was untrustworthy and thought he could gain the moral high ground without actually wrecking the motion.

This time, in very different circumstances, you are probably right, but that is exactly the problem. Labour manoeuvering itself into a position of not wanting to do anything about ISIS might not be exactly the smartest piece of political strategy.
    They could table an ammendment offering an alternative strategy.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

MaxPB said:

Lol, I know you are just trying to wind people up. The suggestion of lawyers shows how much you are trying to troll and get a reaction.
  • Options

kle4 said:

JWisemann said:

kle4 said:

JWisemann said:

Scott_P said:

Was that ever the line?

Translation

I just have political principles. I don't hate Cameron, I don't even really care about his porcine proclivites, I merely resent him expediting the destruction of this country. If he started leading the country out of decline tomorrow, he'd have my full support, and the same goes for any political leader of any stripe. I really can't understand anyone being otherwise. Some tribal football team-ish feeling that 'we' won? Quite ridiculous.
    Some level of tribal behaviour is expected - I'm not immune to it, but do worry sometimes attempting to fit in the middle by instinct means I miss those times when the best position is more one way than the other - but I think as with most things people can tell when it is taken way too far, and when it ceases to be amusing (or rather, when the righteous anger, as we do see, becomes amusing for those who do not share it).
  • Options
    surbiton said:

GIN1138 said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Was that ever the line?

Translation

Scott_P said:

Was that ever the line?

Translation

I always thought the Tory Party should have kept him at arms length to be honest...

This is all a throwback to "the dark days" of Hague, IDS, etc... I mean, I guess he did help keep the Tories alive but he always looked dodgy to me.
  • Options
    Carly Fiorina looks like great value at 50/1 on Boylesport's website - the trouble is when I try to place even the most modest of bets, the shutters come crashing down.
    The next best value is Betfair's nothing like as attractive current price of 25 or 22.8/1 net in old money, but possibly still worth a punt if you believe that latest poll showing her leading the GOP field in New Hampshire and of course betting on the exchange provides an opportunity to trade out if that is one's preferred option.
    DYOR.
  • Options

surbiton said:

How about Jeremy proposes we love bomb Syria?

• Options
    shadsy said:

Perry has quit, Huckabee is unlikely (his support for Kim Davis is not playing well), but Rubio is still in with a good chance, like Carly his strong suit is foreign policy. Kasich at present seems problematic, he's the aw shucks my dad was a mail carrier candidate. Walker seems to be in serious trouble - his one note deal is how he won 3 elections in 4 years and beat back public sector unions (even FDR thought public sector unions were a terrible idea).

Trump's coverage has turned negative since the debate last week. He has a couple of network late night talk show appearances this week, let's see if that repairs the damage.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    watford30 said:

Press Gazette
    Former NoW political editor: Ashcroft's Cameron pig head story would not have passed 'basic standards' for tabloid http://t.co/D8pAjBFbUY

Writing in The Spectator today, Ian Kirby said: "If I had gone to Rebekah Brooks or Andy Coulson when they were editing and said that I had a story about David Cameron’s honourable member and a pig’s head, their first question would be ‘where’s the proof?’"

"If I then told them I had it on good authority from an MP who swears they’d seen a photograph but won’t go on the record, I would have been booted out of the office – only after being given a good kicking.

"As every political journalist knows there are lies, damn lies – and then the tales that MPs tell about their enemies. Lord Ashcroft’s story about Cameron and the pig would not have passed the basic standards demanded by a tabloid newspaper."
    Poor old Dacre, miffed that he's never had, and now never will get a peerage.

If Dacre never gets a peerage that would be a good result. (When will the kippers be giving the expected reward to Desmand of the Express and Television-X ? )

Historically, it was reported that Ashcroft misled William Hague about his non-dom status, causing Hague much embarrassment. If Cameron got to know this he would have judged Ashcroft to be an unreliable ally. Ashcroft's "book" would have been justification for that attitude.

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,254
    watford30 said:

surbiton said:

MaxPB said:

No, it doesn't. Media management. Why prolong the story by kicking off a legal battle, and running up a 6 or 7 figure lawyers bill.
    Remember John Major and the Primrose Hill caterer: a lot of fuss about that and eventually the story died a death because there was no evidence for it. It never went to court either, fortunately, given what we subsequently learnt about Major and Currie.

Even if the allegation is wholly untrue it is often sensible to keep the lawyers out of it because if a libel claim came to court it's not the untrue allegation you have to worry about but all the other allegations with substance to them which risk being raised.

Mind you, if Ashcroft has recycled the untrue and very hurtful allegation about the Cameron's late son, he is a sh*t of the highest order. Just my personal opinion: I thought Labour were sh*ts for doing it years ago and anyone reusing it is just as bad.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

shadsy said:

I like Rubio too. My principal position is on the Republicans, though (at around 2.4 av). This looks a 50-50 call to me: it's only the "crazy" candidates having their day in the sun that is keeping the odds where they are.
    Rubio definitely looked the best of the career politicians at the last debate. My man is Kasich, but he needs to get off his "Look what we did in Ohio" scratched record if he is to start moving into the comfort zone of surviving until March when the serious winnowing of the field will happen.
  • Options

surbiton said:

How about Jeremy proposes we love bomb Syria?

Cheaper than real bombing and likely to be no less effective against ISIS.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,034

Carly Fiorina looks like great value at 50/1 on Boylesport's website - the trouble is when I try to place even the most modest of bets, the shutters come crashing down.
    The next best value is Betfair's nothing like as attractive current price of 25 or 22.8/1 net in old money, but possibly still worth a punt if you believe that latest poll showing her leading the GOP field in New Hampshire and of course betting on the exchange provides an opportunity to trade out if that is one's preferred option.
    DYOR.

Can't even get a single penny on. I'm a 'risk' or something...
  • Options

DYOR.

Maybe you should become Peter from Mortlake or Peter from Barnes ;)
  • Options
    A friend's put some pictures on Facebook of yesterday's pig racing event in Melbourn.

I wonder if Cameron was there ...

http://www.royston-crow.co.uk/news/crowds_trot_down_to_see_pig_racing_at_melbourn_s_autumn_fair_1_4241260
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,071
    Charles said:

Thinking about the last thread, I think Cameron is right not to say anything, but to stay quiet and hope the story dies down.

After all, you can't put lipstick on a pig

Well technically speaking you can which might make certain actions more understandable.

Oddly I have a degree of sympathy for Cameron here. Having been to an all boys boarding school the environment does seem capable of encouraging some rather strange actions. One of my contemporaries is now a prominent public figure (no, not politics but sport) though I can't remember him doing anything very outrageous.

The bigger problem for Cameron is that he has made a fair few enemies and surely we will start to see more of these scab scratching accounts of his life so far from the vengeful.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

perdix said:

surbiton said:

GIN1138 said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Was that ever the line?

Translation

Scott_P said:

Was that ever the line?

Translation

They are related - but I thought they were cousins?
    Third cousin (so not very related unless you are a posho)
  • Options
    MTimT said:

shadsy said:

Rubio definitely looked the best of the career politicians at the last debate. My man is Kasich, but he needs to get off his "Look what we did in Ohio" scratched record if he is to start moving into the comfort zone of surviving until March when the serious winnowing of the field will happen.
    Surely the field will concentrate far before then, with no more than five going into Super Tuesday (which is relatively very early in the campaign this year). How many will be able to afford to run a campaign across a quarter of the country? I'd be surprised if there's more than eight come out of New Hampshire.
  • Options
    My impression is that Lord Ashcroft is not coming out of this tawdry episode very well. Given all he has done for the Armed Forces etc, I'm amazed he took the risk, just to get what in anybody's language is revenge.

That idiot Isobel Oakshott will rue the day she got involved in this vindictive nonsense.
  • Options
    edited September 2015

MTimT said:

shadsy said:

Surely the field will concentrate far before then, with no more than five going into Super Tuesday (which is relatively very early in the campaign this year). How many will be able to afford to run a campaign across a quarter of the country? I'd be surprised if there's more than eight come out of New Hampshire.
    It depends what happens to Trump, and how long it takes before he fades or implodes, or simply picks up his ball and goes home.

By the way they are calling it the S.E.C. Primary this time.
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656

I thought Toby Young was horribly correct here. http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2015/09/is-that-really-the-best-lord-ashcroft-could-dig-up/

I had dinner with Isabel Oakeshott at last year’s Conservative Party Conference and after she’d established that I had nothing scandalous to contribute to the book she asked me how I thought people inside the Westminster bubble – journalists and broadcasters, as well as MPs – would react to ‘Call Me Dave’. I got the distinct impression she was worried about the harm it would do to her reputation, particularly if the focus was on Cameron’s student days.

Now I see why. Isabel is a first-rate reporter who deservedly won ‘Political Journalist of the Year’ for her Sunday Times scoop that led to Chris Huhne’s fall from grace. To see her reduced to helping Lord Ashcroft peddle these sub-tabloid stories is a shame. The only people whose reputations have been damaged by ‘Call Me Dave’ are Isabel and her employer.
    Scott_P said:

Was that ever the line?

Translation

The standard journalistic practice is for every claim to be substantiated by two sources. Either Oakeshott has done that, and there's merit to the story, or she hasn't, and is a hack that has gone along with what one individual has claimed.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,916
    The PM has fooked a dead pigs mouth.
    Complete non story!!
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited September 2015

DYOR.

It's more than likely that Carly's time as CEO of HP will become a hot topic in the nomination battles. The fact that she outsourced work to China that lost over 30K american jobs is still a sore point with her detractors. I see no value in going all the way with Fiorina, but I suppose worth a flutter for immediate gains.
  • Options

MTimT said:

shadsy said:

Don't disagree. But I also don't really see Trump, Carson or Carly leaving the race early either. Jeb, Rubio, Cruz, Paul and, if his donors don't quit first, Walker are not quitting early, as the large field means that delegate accumulation won't really be a factor until the race turns 'winner takes all'. And if Walker does quit, I could see that opening the door for Christie to stay in until at least that point.

There is a lot of feeling that the rules changes for the GOP nomination race are going to achieve the opposite of their intention (which was early coalescence around a presumptive nominee so as 1. to save donations for the election rather than waste them on the nomination, 2. to reduce political damage to the GOP brand from friendly fire in the primaries, and 3. to allow the party to concentrate on attacking the Dem's nominee from an early date).
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    MikeK said:

DYOR.

It's more than likely that Carly's time as CEO of HP will become a hot topic in the nomination battles. The fact that she outsourced work to China that lost over 4K american jobs is still a sore point with her detractors. I see no value in going all the way with Fiorina, but I suppose worth a flutter for immediate gains.
    Yes, now she is a front runner her record at Lucent and HP will be heavily scrutinized. It happened to her in 2010 when he ran for US Senate in CA against Barbara Boxer.

Maybe this time she will be better able to respond to the challenge.

It's also worth noting that HP is still shedding jobs - it announced last week it will cut 33,000 jobs over 3 years.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,254
    Interesting development on Cameron's biggest headache - stop that giggling at the back, boys, I mean the EU:-

The French seem to think that this autumn they could reach agreement on the scope, principle and rate of the FTT. If so - and it's a big IF, then implementation would start in early 2017. Just in time for that referendum.....
  • Options

The PM has fooked a dead pigs mouth.
    Complete non story!!

We are assured there was no erotic intent, or even tumescence, which makes it just a laddish lark (if indeed it occurred at all), which makes it ok?

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,916
    Was .Dave asking the Pig to call him Dave?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    Cassetteboy inevitably joins in...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBpQJ98rR4o
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

DYOR.

I'm impressed by your local knowledge and to be honest you're not far off the mark.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Interesting development on Cameron's biggest headache - stop that giggling at the back, boys, I mean the EU:-

The French seem to think that this autumn they could reach agreement on the scope, principle and rate of the FTT. If so - and it's a big IF, then implementation would start in early 2017. Just in time for that referendum.....

Might that be the start of the 'manafactured row'?
    The UK Govt knock it back and Cameron rides to an impressive EU referendum victory.
    The FTT then gets brought in a bit later under a slightly different guise,

• Options
    edited September 2015

Tim_B said:

DYOR.

I'm impressed by your local knowledge and to be honest you're not far off the mark.
    I lived in Barnes, Mortlake, Richmond, Twickenham and Hounslow in the bedsit time of my youth.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

The UK Govt knock it back and Cameron rides to an impressive EU referendum victory.

The FTT is Eurozone only, so Cameron has nothing to knock back.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''The FTT is Eurozone only, so Cameron has nothing to knock back. ''

I guess it would still affect us when trading with eurozone institutions though.
  • Options

Was .Dave asking the Pig to call him Dave?

Imagine what would happen if it turned out one of his parents was Jewish!
  • Options
    It would have been worse for Cameron if it had been a dead fox..
  • Options
    MTimT said:

MTimT said:

shadsy said:

Don't disagree. But I also don't really see Trump, Carson or Carly leaving the race early either. Jeb, Rubio, Cruz, Paul and, if his donors don't quit first, Walker are not quitting early, as the large field means that delegate accumulation won't really be a factor until the race turns 'winner takes all'. And if Walker does quit, I could see that opening the door for Christie to stay in until at least that point.

There is a lot of feeling that the rules changes for the GOP nomination race are going to achieve the opposite of their intention (which was early coalescence around a presumptive nominee so as 1. to save donations for the election rather than waste them on the nomination, 2. to reduce political damage to the GOP brand from friendly fire in the primaries, and 3. to allow the party to concentrate on attacking the Dem's nominee from an early date).
    The difficulty that some of those candidates will have is that even with eight in the field, the average score is 12.5%. With one candidate peaking at the right time to, say 25% and another at say 17% means that most of the rest will be scrambling in single figures. That's a tough launchpad for them off which to go into the big fight.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Therein lies why I think the City will be BOOers. I can sense the change. The EU's hostility towards the City has been ratcheted up rather than down, which many were assured would not happen in the run up to the referendum. I could not in good conscience recommend remaining in the EU while they hold such a high level of hostility towards one of Britain's premier industries. Whatever one thinks about banking or bankers, the financial services industry pays in a net of £50bn per year in taxes and levies, the hostility from the EU towards it will definitely increase our chances of leaving.

A FTT will just push us further towards the exit door. Aiui, the EU wants to impose the tax on FX, derivatives, shares and corporate bonds trades. I don't see how such a tax is compatible with our major industry given they want to tax it from origin rather than destination.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    JEO said:

I thought Toby Young was horribly correct here. http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2015/09/is-that-really-the-best-lord-ashcroft-could-dig-up/

I had dinner with Isabel Oakeshott at last year’s Conservative Party Conference and after she’d established that I had nothing scandalous to contribute to the book she asked me how I thought people inside the Westminster bubble – journalists and broadcasters, as well as MPs – would react to ‘Call Me Dave’. I got the distinct impression she was worried about the harm it would do to her reputation, particularly if the focus was on Cameron’s student days.

Now I see why. Isabel is a first-rate reporter who deservedly won ‘Political Journalist of the Year’ for her Sunday Times scoop that led to Chris Huhne’s fall from grace. To see her reduced to helping Lord Ashcroft peddle these sub-tabloid stories is a shame. The only people whose reputations have been damaged by ‘Call Me Dave’ are Isabel and her employer.
    Scott_P said:

Was that ever the line?

Translation

The standard journalistic practice is for every claim to be substantiated by two sources. Either Oakeshott has done that, and there's merit to the story, or she hasn't, and is a hack that has gone along with what one individual has claimed.

Due to the seriousness of the allegations Watergate journalists had to have 3 + sources and even this missed the target because the source misunderstood when to hang up...... Personally I blame that on Dustin Hoffmans posh accent on a phone.....
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,071
    Cyclefree said:

Why has the EU ref gone quiet? Last I heard they were thinking about April. Is Cameron now worried because of Corbyn's victory? Can he do a renegotiation to sufficiently appease his party and keep enough of the left onside at the same time? I'm not convinced. Is the can being kicked down the road for now?
  • Options
    taffys said:

''The FTT is Eurozone only, so Cameron has nothing to knock back. ''

I guess it would still affect us when trading with eurozone institutions though.

But it would affect anyone else trading with Eurozone institutions too, so wouldn't put us at any competitive disadvantage.
  • Options
    JEO said:

Cyclefree said:

If implemented Eurozone-wide,how would the FTT affect trading with ‘foreign’ stock markets.
  • Options
    JEO said:

Cyclefree said:

That isn't entirely true, it has a large extraterritorial element in that the tax will be imposed at the source rather than destination, so even if the UK has opted out, the EU will demand that UK located banks pay up for transactions done with French banks.

• Options
    edited September 2015

My impression is that Lord Ashcroft is not coming out of this tawdry episode very well. Given all he has done for the Armed Forces etc, I'm amazed he took the risk, just to get what in anybody's language is revenge.

That idiot Isobel Oakshott will rue the day she got involved in this vindictive nonsense.

I think the arrogance of Ashcroft is quite outstanding... It seems he really did think he could literally buy his way into the government. And when Cameron quite correctly decided that his government wasn't for sale, we get this...
  • Options

Tim_B said:

DYOR.

Lived on Dymock Street for a while, the other side of the Hurlingham Club, and distinctly down market from Putney!
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Scott_P said:

Was that ever the line?

Translation

Reputation - Chris Huhne might wonder about her reputation.
  • Options
    Shadsy: "I've got £2 on Carly at 350/1."
    Very impressive and this threatens to out perform my equally modest 949/1 bet against Hilary Benn becoming the next PM.
    Should either deliver, we are shoo-ins to become PBHLP (Political Betting Honorary Life President).
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

I think the arrogance of Ashcroft is quite outstanding... It seems he really did think he could literally buy his way into the government. And when Cameron quite correctly decided that his government wasn't for sale, we get this...

I feel Ashcroft has only diminished himself over this. It's a shame, given the other positive contributions he has made.

• Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''so even if the UK has opted out, the EU will demand that UK located banks pay up for transactions done with French banks.''

Will they demand the same monies from US banks?
  • Options

MTimT said:

The difficulty that some of those candidates will have is that even with eight in the field, the average score is 12.5%. With one candidate peaking at the right time to, say 25% and another at say 17% means that most of the rest will be scrambling in single figures. That's a tough launchpad for them off which to go into the big fight.
    The problem is there will be little incentive among the serious contenders to be the first, or second, or third to get out. The assumption is that the novices will not be able to win the nomination, and so it will go to one of the careerists. And yes, with them all polling within the margin of error of each other, none will have the position to demand that the others make way for him. So who should go first?

It's all a bit of a dog's dinner (or, given today's theme, should that be a pig's dinner?)
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Tim_B said:

DYOR.

Lived on Dymock Street for a while, the other side of the Hurlingham Club, and distinctly down market from Putney!
    Is that near the Wandsworth bridge?
  • Options
    taffys said:

''so even if the UK has opted out, the EU will demand that UK located banks pay up for transactions done with French banks.''

Will they demand the same monies from US banks?

I'm sure they will try.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

JEO said:

I had di

Scott_P said:

Was that ever the line?

Translation

Due to the seriousness of the allegations Watergate journalists had to have 3 + sources and even this missed the target because the source misunderstood when to hang up...... Personally I blame that on Dustin Hoffmans posh accent on a phone.....

When I was the News of the World‘s political editor, I was on the lookout for stories – and for scandal. That’s what political journalists are paid for. But had I gone to Rebekah Brooks or Andy Coulson when they were editing and said that I had a story about David Cameron’s honourable member and a pig’s head, their first question would be: ‘where’s the proof?’

If I then told them I had it on good authority from an MP who swears he’s seen a photograph but won’t go on the record, I would have been booted out of the office – only after being given a good kicking. As every political journalist knows there are lies, damn lies – and then the tales that MPs tell about their enemies. Lord Ashcroft’s story about Cameron and the pig would not have passed the basic standards demanded by a tabloid newspaper.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2015/09/ashcrofts-pig-head-story-would-have-been-thrown-out-by-any-tabloid-editor/
  • Options
    MTimT said:

MTimT said:

The problem is there will be little incentive among the serious contenders to be the first, or second, or third to get out. The assumption is that the novices will not be able to win the nomination, and so it will go to one of the careerists. And yes, with them all polling within the margin of error of each other, none will have the position to demand that the others make way for him. So who should go first?

It's all a bit of a dog's dinner (or, given today's theme, should that be a pig's dinner?)
    Given today's theme, should it not be pulled pork? ;)
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,942
    You've changed threads

I was sure more pigs would come forward.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

MTimT said:

Tim_B said:

DYOR.

Yes, very close. Heading south on Wandsworth Bridge Road, last road before the bridge to the west (right), then second on the right.
  • Options

It would have been worse for Cameron if it had been a dead fox..

Worst case? A Somerset badger....
  • Options
    eee
    Tim_B said:

MTimT said:

MTimT said:

Given today's theme, should it not be pulled pork? ;)
    eeeeew!!
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    What a shame that Dave won't be going to the A Le Coq Arena in Tallinn tonight to see the England ladies team. Perhaps he was worried he might run into the A Le Coq Lemonade mascot http://www.alecoq.ee/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Limonaad-logo.jpg
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

Lord Ashcroft’s story about Cameron and the pig would not have passed the basic standards demanded by a tabloid newspaper

Except the DM is a tabloid.... Perhaps standards have dropped somewhat?

• Options

Lord Ashcroft’s story about Cameron and the pig would not have passed the basic standards demanded by a tabloid newspaper

Except the DM is a tabloid.... Perhaps standards have dropped somewhat?

They're serialising a book rather than publishing the story directly themselves.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,076
    'Big man, pig man
    Haha charade you are...'

http://youtu.be/2Okd3Oyii7E
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    MTimT said:

Tim_B said:

MTimT said:

Tim_B said:

DYOR.

Yes, very close. Heading south on Wandsworth Bridge Road, last road before the bridge to the west (right), then second on the right.
    I knew south west London very well in the early to mid 70s, particularly the Bull at Sheen..

Incidentally I'll be up your way next month.
  • Options
    John_NJohn_N Posts: 389
    edited September 2015
    Michael Ashcroft knows about initiation rituals.

This has been out in the open since 2000, when Ashcroft, who used to flog Belize passports for 33 grand apiece, sent an apology to Tim David, the British High Commissioner in that country, following a row that exploded at a party held by the Belize Bank, in which Ashcroft was a major shareholder. The row was about a report by KPMG into...can you guess?...tax evasion. Ashcroft reportedly called David a "pompous liar" and told him to "f***ing get out now". The next day he sent an apology and generously offered to make a donation to a charity of David's choice. (I doubt a donation was made, but if it was I'm glad I wasn't the charity's finance director.)

Here's the full text of Ashcroft's apology

"To varying 'degrees' I don't suppose our diplomatic skills yesterday evening would have obtained a first. For my part, I sincerely apologise where such skills would not have made a third."

No prizes for spotting the men-only members' scene from which he chose his words. Now roll those trouser legs down and unbare your chests!

Ashcroft was also the Belizean ambassador to the UN.