Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Voting has closed now and the speculation begins

124»

Comments

• Options
    Mr. Gate, welcome to pb.com.

Not concerned by his friends, or pronouncements on the Falklands or Northern Ireland?
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    ydoethur said:

Charles said:

Moses_ said:

They had immense pleasure in signing off the final damage report as

Captains Basham, Buckle and Dent

Our chief witness in the first case I was ever involved in during my articles rejoiced in the name of Randy Kruk....
    There is no point in this conversation.

Nothing will ever beat the British Ambassador (in Moscow, I think) during 1916 who wrote to the Foreign Officer to report that he had a new colleague by the name of Mustapha Kunt.

As he put it "we all feel like that from time to time, but it takes a Turk to put in on their card"
    Archibald Kerr, Lord Inverchapel, British Ambassador to Moscow, writing to Reginald Pembroke in 1943, when the outcome of Barbarossa was still in doubt:
    My Dear Reggie,

In these dark days man tends to look for little shafts of light that spill from Heaven. My days are probably darker than yours, and I need, my God I do, all the light I can get. But I am a decent fellow, and I do not want to be mean and selfish about what little brightness is shed upon me from time to time. So I propose to share with you a tiny flash that has illuminated my sombre life and tell you that God has given me a new Turkish colleague whose card tells me that he is called Mustapha Kunt.

We all feel like that, Reggie, now and then, especially when Spring is upon us, but few of us would care to put it on our cards. It takes a Turk to do that.

Sir Archibald Clerk Kerr, H.M. Ambassador"
    I have actually seen the original, which is in the National Archives and has a government stamp on it, so despite Wikipedia casting doubt on it it is genuine!

Somebody put it in Scunthorpe
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,241

RodCrosby said:

"I hear that Team Corbyn has started ringing round senior Labour MPs to check whether they are willing to serve in a Jeremy Corbyn-led Shadow Cabinet. They may not be measuring the curtains, but they are leafing through the catalogues."
    http://blogs.channel4.com/gary-gibbon-on-politics/road-corbyn/31401

Is this a Sheffield rally moment?
    Hardly given voting is closed
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,130

Well I'm an engineer from Solihull and I finally joined Labour to vote for Corbyn.
    Quite a few people in my demographic that I know have done the same.

I hope it proves all you would have wished for. Seriously. I don't agree with Corbyn on most things, and I think Labour are showing some odd priorities, but whatever works for you I guess.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,574
    Incidentally, one thing I didn't realise until today is that any full member can vote in this election, and full membership is open to anyone over 14 (how I found this out is probably pretty obvious, given my profession).

My reply to any questions on the subject at school was, 'I never thought I would see a British political party commit mass suicide in my lifetime.' I'm still hoping against hope that I won't.
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    edited September 2015
    Tim_B said:

NFL starts tonight - Steelers at Patriots. Tom Brady in search of redemption and they unveil their Super Bowl banner. NFL Sunday Ticket starts this weekend, with the amazing Red Zone Channel. America's Team host the Giants on the NBC Sunday Night game.

The unwatchable exhibition games are finally over! I can't wait!

I still have not visited Jerry World, something I need to rectify soon.

Carrie Underwood is back with the theme song....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdS5vkADA0I

I've put a couple of quid on Jarryd Hayne for regular season MVP at 150/1 - there's political reasons why he wouldn't even have to be the best player just in the running to win it.

There's actually quite a few good value bets on him (3/1 for a rushing touchdown during the season, 9/1 on a receiving touchdown, 9/4 on a return TD and others).
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Wetwang, Cockermouth and Bell End: Place names 'too rude' to be viewed at Women's Institute Organisers of WI's Centennial Fair in Harrogate, North Yorkshire, ask author of Lesser Spotted Britain to cover up 'offending' mugs and tea towels http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/11856520/Wetwang-Cockermouth-and-Bell-End-Place-names-too-rude-to-be-viewed-at-Womens-Institute.html
    Tim_B said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

Moses_ said:

Our chief witness in the first case I was ever involved in during my articles rejoiced in the name of Randy Kruk....

Nothing will ever beat the British Ambassador (in Moscow, I think) during 1916 who wrote to the Foreign Officer to report that he had a new colleague by the name of Mustapha Kunt.

As he put it "we all feel like that from time to time, but it takes a Turk to put in on their card"
    Archibald Kerr, Lord Inverchapel, British Ambassador to Moscow, writing to Reginald Pembroke in 1943, when the outcome of Barbarossa was still in doubt:
    My Dear Reggie,

In these dark days man tends to look for little shafts of light that spill from Heaven. My days are probably darker than yours, and I need, my God I do, all the light I can get. But I am a decent fellow, and I do not want to be mean and selfish about what little brightness is shed upon me from time to time. So I propose to share with you a tiny flash that has illuminated my sombre life and tell you that God has given me a new Turkish colleague whose card tells me that he is called Mustapha Kunt.

We all feel like that, Reggie, now and then, especially when Spring is upon us, but few of us would care to put it on our cards. It takes a Turk to do that.

I have actually seen the original, which is in the National Archives and has a government stamp on it, so despite Wikipedia casting doubt on it it is genuine!

• Options
    Plato said:

Wetwang, Cockermouth and Bell End: Place names 'too rude' to be viewed at Women's Institute Organisers of WI's Centennial Fair in Harrogate, North Yorkshire, ask author of Lesser Spotted Britain to cover up 'offending' mugs and tea towels http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/11856520/Wetwang-Cockermouth-and-Bell-End-Place-names-too-rude-to-be-viewed-at-Womens-Institute.html
    Tim_B said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

Moses_ said:

My Dear Reggie,

They used to elect Cumberland's MPs at Cockermouth, which when you think about it is quite appropriate.
  • Options
    Cheers, Mr. Nashe and Mr. Borough.
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    Danny565 said:

Liz Kendall made a speech today:

http://www.lizforleader.com/closingspeech

Credit to her for atleast having the humility and self-awareness to recognise that she/the Blairites got things wrong. But she goes onto demonstrate just why they've failed when she describes the EU referendum as "the defining event of our generation": most Labour members, even ones who are pro-EU (leaving aside the growing Lefty Eurosceptics) rank fighting austerity and inequality as higher priorities than staying in Europe.

It just goes to show you how blinkered the Blairites are in their Europhilia. The EU isn't a means to an end for them - to fight social justice, to increase growth, to fight terrorism etc - it's an end in itself. They just want to be in it for the sake of being in it, above all else.
  • Options
    If Tessa is ahead on the first preferences tomorrow, that is probably a signal to pile on to Yvette. If she is a distant second, then JC is Lord.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Plato said:
    Is there an emoticon for 'head in hands'?
  • Options
    jayfdeejayfdee Posts: 618

Well I'm an engineer from Solihull and I finally joined Labour to vote for Corbyn.

Most engineers I know are extremely logical...,
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,839

If Tessa is ahead on the first preferences tomorrow, that is probably a signal to pile on to Yvette. If she is a distant second, then JC is Lord.

Jowell isn't like any of the leadership candidates though is she. She's horribly complacent, totally muddy in her views, and a bit smug. That makes her entirely the best Mayoral candidate, but in the leadership election there are (just about) higher standards.
  • Options
    Mr. Doethur, I believe so.

There's also the Captain Picard/Commander Riker synchronised face-palming photo for situations such as this.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CNqpQuLUcAIYVmj.jpg:large
  • Options
    calum said:

Dair said:

calum said:

Dair said:

malcolmg said:

calum said:
    They are consistent in regurgitating all their old dross. Pieman getting it is a hoot.
    Perhaps they are hoping he can revive their chances with the Efnick vote.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1287302/MSP-Frank-McAveety-forced-resign-dark-dusky-woman-comments.html#ixzz3lGjRmGnb
    This doesn't seem to fit very comfortably with Kezia's 50/50 gender balance policy - or is there something some of these male SLAB stalwarts are not disclosing about their current gender ?
    It just feeds more strongly into the East/West split of the current round of the SLAB meltdown. The more Kez tries to reform Scottish Labour into a more inclusive and meritorious party (in her mind) the more the Dinosaurs of West Central Scotland will do just the opposite.

What better way to confront Kez than appointing a gluttenous, leching beast to what is, amazingly, now Scottish Labour's most powerful political position.
    I think Kezia is trying to run the party from Edinburgh and trying to manoeuvre around the SLAB's Glasgow Office. The last I read, only the folks who were party members or affiliates in mid June 2015 are going to be allowed to vote on the regional list placings in February 2016.

At least Murray has confirmed he would serve in a Corbyn cabinet.
    The problem with that strategy from Kez is that the bulk of the membership and therefore the last few coppers of their money is all in the West. She's trying to use the money from the dinosaurs to marginalise them.

I can't see that working.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    I don't like to make such assumptions, and perhaps it would still be wrong, but with all the times Abbot claims not to have meant something, or her meaning is being misinterpreted (as I'm sure she will here), even assuming for a hostile media she does seem somewhat thick, with her simplistic bluster and being so easy to provoke by asking her straightforward questions. Sheer intellect is not necessarily all that is needed of course, but her pronouncements generally do not encourage giving her the benefit of the doubt.
  • Options
    Plato said:
    Well, that's left me speechless. She is astonishingly dense. Just the sort of two short planks we need as Labour Mayoral candidate.
  • Options

Mr. Doethur, I believe so.

There's also the Captain Picard/Commander Riker synchronised face-palming photo for situations such as this.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CNqpQuLUcAIYVmj.jpg:large

MD,

Your time on this planet has not been wasted! The digging up and posting of that photo has I'm sure improved the life of the many billions of PB readers.

ok, millions...

er, thousands then...

surely.. oh, never mind!

Anyway three cheers (or however many we can muster) for MD!

• Options
    Mr. Omnium, one aims to please.
  • Options
    flightpath01flightpath01 Posts: 4,903
    edited September 2015
    JEO said:

Danny565 said:

Liz Kendall made a speech today:

http://www.lizforleader.com/closingspeech

Credit to her for atleast having the humility and self-awareness to recognise that she/the Blairites got things wrong. But she goes onto demonstrate just why they've failed when she describes the EU referendum as "the defining event of our generation": most Labour members, even ones who are pro-EU (leaving aside the growing Lefty Eurosceptics) rank fighting austerity and inequality as higher priorities than staying in Europe.

It just goes to show you how blinkered the Blairites are in their Europhilia. The EU isn't a means to an end for them - to fight social justice, to increase growth, to fight terrorism etc - it's an end in itself. They just want to be in it for the sake of being in it, above all else.
    You are missing the point. She has to say something for goodness sake, something that can act as a figleaf.
  • Options
    edited September 2015

Well, that's left me speechless. She is astonishingly dense. Just the sort of two short planks we need as Labour Mayoral candidate.

What's more worrying is that she has a better academic record, a better background outside politics and a better record of public service than Jeremy Corbyn (she was at least briefly a shadow minister). Which suggests she is still more intelligent, more rounded and more experienced than him.

So how preternaturally useless must he be?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,287

Is your demographic "idiots"?
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    isam said:

RobD said:

isam said:

David Cameron's "Play your cards wrong" ... Next years tally? 'Higher than a 299 you saaayyy??'

https:.com/dailymailuk/status/641984240989675522

If they are dressed like that, and driving around in cars like that, I am not surprised that they were arrested. ;)
    I thought that was a photo of a Danish motorway at first
    :lol:
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    ydoethur said:

What's more worrying is that she has a better academic record, a better background outside politics and a better record of public service than Jeremy Corbyn (she was at least briefly a shadow minister). Which suggests she is still more intelligent, more rounded and more experienced than him.

Are we really still clinging onto the idea that best-educated automatically equals most intelligent?
  • Options
    This morning, and thus before I could arm myself with a glass of wine, I heard a comment on BBC radio to the effect that Cruddas was one of the great, and deep, thinkers in the Labour party. They then went on to interview him, and he explained that he couldn't make up his mind because basically he didn't know who would win.

Are the BBC changing their spots? I felt this to be a subtle and devastating stab at Mr Cruddas.

• Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,117
    rcs1000 said:

Very funny. But no.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Danny565 said:

ydoethur said:

Are we really still clinging onto the idea that best-educated automatically equals most intelligent?
    Well, they were educated at comparable schools - albeit, in Corbyn's case, a private selective school (Adam's Grammar) rather than a state grammar (Harrow County). However, insofar as that is different, it would favour Corbyn. Corbyn scraped Es at A-level, Abbott made it to Cambridge.

So it would suggest to me that actually, she is more intelligent than he is.

EDIT - or of course, she might just be harder working. But either way, it doesn't say much for Corbyn!
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

What a great advert for PB.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662

Mr. Taffys, not sure it'll harm Labour that much in such areas.

Mr. Borough, the Sheffield Rally happened before the polls opened, though.

For those a little older than me, was 1992 or 2015 the more shocking result?

Good question. I'd say 2015 actually, because virtually no-one say a Tory majority coming. Though a lot of people thought 1992 would be either small Lab majority or a hung parliament, a Tory majority was also seen as a possibility - and after 1983, 1987 many Labour supporters were not that optimistic.
    A close call but I'd go for 1992 simply because as the view was that Labour had a majority in the bag, which was never really the case in 2015 because of the SNP gains. I still believe that it was the sun 'wot won it', but the weather not the paper. Where I was telling the sun shone all day, people came out for a walk in the afternoon and evening and decided life wasn't so bad after all, so why risk voting Labour.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Very funny. But no.
    "Engineers for Corbyn" I'm a member of that demographic.

BTW, does your name hint at a connection with Newcastle?
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited September 2015
    Diane Abbott is a complete dickhead. I do so want her to be appointed shadow chancellor , then she can explain why she wants to nationalise everything whilst sending her own kid to private school.
  • Options
    Mr. Rose, interesting point.

On the other hand, in 2015 the published polls all agreed it was neck-and-neck, hung Parliament territory, and had done for months.
  • Options
    Recite the Koran wrong, get beaten with a stick:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-shropshire-34208841
  • Options

On the other hand, in 2015 the published polls all agreed it was neck-and-neck, hung Parliament territory, and had done for months.

The turnout in 1992 was 78% against 66% in 2015 - I must confess I'm surprised at the gap, especially given the clampdown on voter registration in 2015.
  • Options

Didn't the polls in 1992, with the exception of one ICM poll two days before, constantly point to a Labour majority - including three on the Sheffield Rally day which all put the Labour lead at between five and seven points?

Although nobody expected a Conservative majority this year, was anyone actually expecting them to be even within spitting distance of largest party? I know they weren't, which is why they were manufacturing implausible scenarios to try and mount a legal challenge to Cameron staying at No. 10 if he did not get to 326 (with a complete lack of irony, of course).
  • Options

Does that mean you can become a 'Koran anorak'?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    edited September 2015
    So, as it is revealed that we paid the full £1.7b, worth looking back on an old
    thread, and remembering that partisan confidence doesn't mean they're right

"Britain quietly settled its latest altercation over the European Union budget by paying a 1.7 billion-pound ($2.6 billion) bill that Prime Minister David Cameron originally derided as “appalling.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-09-03/u-k-settles-eu-bill-once-called-appalling-by-cameron

Richard_Nabavi • Posts: 6,834
    November 2014 • edited November 2014
    I appreciate that it's tough for the Kippers and Labour to accept they were wrong, but would those claiming Osborne hasn't achieved anything care to post some links to articles published BEFORE this meeting which explain that the £1.7bn demand was actually a demand for £850m?

TGOHF • Posts: 12,522
    November 2014
    So apart from changing the rules regarding rebates applying to this sum, getting the reduced payment deferred and agreement that no interest is to be charged - GO hasn't achieved much.

Kippers FEWMIN !

felix • Posts: 2,655
    November 2014
    the EU asked for £1.7b without applying the rebate to it. There was no suggestion the rebate would be applied by you, UKIP, the EU or anyone else. Britain has won the argument on that one - suck it up.

November 2014

What will not be paid is the original demand for £1.7bn.

Faced with that simple fact, the usual suspects are now saying 'Ah yes, but it wasn't going to be £1.7bn in the first place.'

But, as we have shown, they didn't say that before today

http://politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com/discussion/1973/politicalbetting-com-blog-archive-if-the-miliband-rumblings-haven-t-quietened-down-after-the/p5
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Danny565 said:

ydoethur said:

Well, they were educated at comparable schools - albeit, in Corbyn's case, a private selective school (Adam's Grammar) rather than a state grammar (Harrow County). However, insofar as that is different, it would favour Corbyn. Corbyn scraped Es at A-level, Abbott made it to Cambridge.

EDIT - or of course, she might just be harder working. But either way, it doesn't say much for Corbyn!
    Adams' Grammar School is not private. It is a state grammar.
  • Options
    Mr. Rose, Koranorak?

Mr. Doethur, not sure. Too long ago for me to remember, too recent for me to have read Livy's view on the subject.
  • Options
    isam,

Those forum members really do have something to apologise for. They were very concrete on the predictions, and mocking of those who disagreed, and they were completely wrong.
  • Options

@MSmithsonPB: If LAB, which took my £3, had let me vote it would have been

1 Kendall
    2 Cooper
    3 Corbyn
    4 Burnham

Snap!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Danny565 said:

ydoethur said:

Abbott is bright. The parallels with Portillo are interesting. She went to the Girl's school which was connected with the Boy's school he went to - both (at the time) Grammar schools.

Portillo is a happy, and at-ease-with-himself person because the political convictions that he's held have rather come to the ascendency. Abbott is a bit itchy-scratchy because her views really haven't done so well.

• Options

rcs1000 said:

Very funny. But no.
    "Engineers for Corbyn" I'm a member of that demographic.

BTW, does your name hint at a connection with Newcastle?
    For the avoidance of doubt, I am not I a not an" engineer for Corbyn", I quoted logic, and voting for Corbyn is Illogical.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited September 2015
    To be fair, when we talk about 2015 result being "unexpected", it depends what the starting point for those expectations were. Back in late 2014, when Miliband was almost ousted, it was almost consensus that the Tories were going to be easily the largest party, with some of us (humblebrag alert) tipping a Tory majority. It was only when the polls didn't move as expected in the run-up to the election that people began to say a Tory majority was impossible.
  • Options
    Mr. JEO/Isam, it is a shameful capitulation.

However, it's also eclipsed by the migrant crisis, so traction in the media will be limited, I suspect.
  • Options

Welcome to the site! Always good to get more unusual views.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Danny565 said:

ydoethur said:

Are you sure it was at the time Corbyn went there? I think it was a direct grant school rather than a state school although I could easily be wrong.
  • Options
    Mr. JEO, quite, though we still await the lesser spotted Scottish Labour supporter.
  • Options
    bigjohnowls • Posts: 5,118
    November 2014

Scott_P said:
    It may well turn out that this is deemed bad news in the long run, but the desperation to me looks like it is coming from all the commentators now aftertiming madly that the rebate they never mentioned was always part of the deal.

It wasn't. Now it is. That's a win however you spin it.

bigjohnowls said

Can you not read simple English.

Senior EU officials quickly cast doubt on Mr Osborne’s claim that he had “halved the bill” by insisting that the rebate of £850million would always have been paid.

You are making yourself look stupid.

The only concession is the delay to July and September 2015 instead of December.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Danny565 said:

ydoethur said:

Are you sure it was at the time Corbyn went there? I think it was a direct grant school rather than a state school although I could easily be wrong.
    Ah, I'm not sure of the exact status in Corbyn's time, but in recent decades it is most definitely a state grammar.
  • Options

The Koran does say though that beating with a stick is only a worthy punishment for those that don't deserve beating with a stick.

• Options
    This clip from Spitting Image suddenly seems apt once more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JKvNoZzOEw
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Danny565 said:

To be fair, when we talk about 2015 result being "unexpected", it depends what the starting point for those expectations were. Back in late 2014, when Miliband was almost ousted, it was almost consensus that the Tories were going to be easily the largest party, with some of us (humblebrag alert) tipping a Tory majority. It was only when the polls didn't move as expected in the run-up to the election that people began to say a Tory majority was impossible.

The other factor that caught almost everybody out was the scale of the LibDem collapse. Without that there would have been no Tory majority.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Good point. And, of course, the (false) impact of social media. In 1992 we only had the canvass returns and the polls to go on (and, frankly, neither of them looked good from a Tory perspective).
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Danny565 said:

ydoethur said:

Ah, I'm not sure of the exact status in Corbyn's time, but in recent decades it is most definitely a state grammar.
    I think the main state grammar school for boys in that area at the time Corbyn was around was Wellington Grammar, which my father and grandfather both attended (my father is roughly Corbyn's age - about two years older). Adams Grammar certainly started as a private foundation before entering the state system which is why it still has boarding, and I think it become a state school in the 1970s. However, I know very little for definite about the school, and as I say I could quite easily be wrong.

There are all sorts of questions, in my mind, about a state school that offers private boarding - I'm also uneasy about Royal Wolverhampton's plans to become a free school for that reason. But that's not relevant to the question of its status in the early 1960s, or indeed to why Corbyn is rubbish at academic subjects while somebody clearly not blessed with great intelligence, going through a comparable system, did well at them.
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

I think the correct term is 'hafeez" but I could be wrong.
  • Options

Now that's what I call satire...!
  • Options
    Very first Prime Minister's Questions. I find it fascinating that up until 1989 - if Tim Yeo is correct - that spending on Defence exceeded that on the NHS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CiNqfEJLsw
  • Options

Excellent, I lived through this period,perhaps time for a remake. Actually Kinnock Jnr bears remarkable similarities to his Dad.
  • Options
    Who was the chap between Ken and Hattersley? Jack Cunningham?
    TudorRose said:

ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JKvNoZzOEw

• Options
    Omnium said:

This morning, and thus before I could arm myself with a glass of wine, I heard a comment on BBC radio to the effect that Cruddas was one of the great, and deep, thinkers in the Labour party. They then went on to interview him, and he explained that he couldn't make up his mind because basically he didn't know who would win.
    Are the BBC changing their spots? I felt this to be a subtle and devastating stab at Mr Cruddas.

Well Cruddas did say in the Times today that Jeremy Corbyn's ''Trotskyist tribute act could destroy Labour' . Thats the same Jeremy Corbyn that he nominated BTW.
    And he is married to the Baroness of Primrose Hill so credit to the lad. :-)

• Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    isam said:

"Britain quietly settled its latest altercation over the European Union budget by paying a 1.7 billion-pound ($2.6 billion) bill that Prime Minister David Cameron originally derided as “appalling.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-09-03/u-k-settles-eu-bill-once-called-appalling-by-cameron

I appreciate that it's tough for the Kippers and Labour to accept they were wrong, but would those claiming Osborne hasn't achieved anything care to post some links to articles published BEFORE this meeting which explain that the £1.7bn demand was actually a demand for £850m?

November 2014
    So apart from changing the rules regarding rebates applying to this sum, getting the reduced payment deferred and agreement that no interest is to be charged - GO hasn't achieved much.

Kippers FEWMIN !

November 2014
    the EU asked for £1.7b without applying the rebate to it. There was no suggestion the rebate would be applied by you, UKIP, the EU or anyone else. Britain has won the argument on that one - suck it up.

November 2014

Faced with that simple fact, the usual suspects are now saying 'Ah yes, but it wasn't going to be £1.7bn in the first place.'

http://politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com/discussion/1973/politicalbetting-com-blog-archive-if-the-miliband-rumblings-haven-t-quietened-down-after-the/p5

George Osborne, David Cameron and the Commons Treasury Select Committee need to explain what happened. Their silence speaks volumes.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

isam said:

November 2014

Kippers FEWMIN !

November 2014

November 2014

George Osborne, David Cameron and the Commons Treasury Select Committee need to explain what happened. Their silence speaks volumes.
    Perhaps this could be something for Corbyn to raise at his first PMQs
  • Options
    Plato said:

TudorRose said:

That was my guess too.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,071
    I haven't spent much time listening to the Labour leadership debate. 300,000 seems a slightly disappointing number though. Hardly 'Corbynmania'. I've been working in a small team in the public sector in recent months with people I would generally consider 'average' voters. Averagely well off but not on the whole university educated and a mix of ages. I can't imagine any of them being Corbyn fans - they'd rather talk about house prices and the Great British Bake Off! One person in the office is a committed non-voter but my make an exception for the EU referendum.

Amongst my social circle things are rather different. This includes a lot of fairly young, bookish, Russell Groups types. I was at a social event the other night (one where we don't usually talk about politics) and was surprised that virtually everyone around the table had voted in the Labour leadership election. Almost all for Corbyn bar one chap who thought he wasn't a 'winner'. Amongst the group was a lady I know very well (and the only person I know who calls themselves 'upper middle class') who'd decided she was voting for Jeremy rather than Yvette but was getting a bit bored with how long it was carrying on for. Plenty of them work in the private sector. Another friend who works in marketing for a very famous firm and is I think generally disillusioned with politics as a whole has decided to register through his Union to vote for the 'big C' (his words not mine) not out of any great conviction but just doing his bit and making a statement to the system. I also read a rather endearing blog piece by an old university friend who is also backing Corbyn, with some reservations, because if he in all unlikelihood won an election he felt it would be like having his dad as prime minister who'd always been his political hero growing up.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,960
    Pretty sure Corbyn's grammar was a state school, no?
  • Options

Mr. Taffys, not sure it'll harm Labour that much in such areas.

Mr. Borough, the Sheffield Rally happened before the polls opened, though.

For those a little older than me, was 1992 or 2015 the more shocking result?

I'd say 1992, when a Labour majority was seen as possible

• Options
    kle4 said:

MP_SE said:

isam said:

November 2014

Kippers FEWMIN !

November 2014

November 2014

Perhaps this could be something for Corbyn to raise at his first PMQs
    I am sure the DC team probably read PB, and equally sure they will have a very robust answer,probably involving Hamas.
  • Options
    Dair said:

Tim_B said:

NFL starts tonight - Steelers at Patriots. Tom Brady in search of redemption and they unveil their Super Bowl banner. NFL Sunday Ticket starts this weekend, with the amazing Red Zone Channel. America's Team host the Giants on the NBC Sunday Night game.

The unwatchable exhibition games are finally over! I can't wait!

I still have not visited Jerry World, something I need to rectify soon.

Carrie Underwood is back with the theme song....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdS5vkADA0I

I've put a couple of quid on Jarryd Hayne for regular season MVP at 150/1 - there's political reasons why he wouldn't even have to be the best player just in the running to win it.

There's actually quite a few good value bets on him (3/1 for a rushing touchdown during the season, 9/1 on a receiving touchdown, 9/4 on a return TD and others).
    That 9/1 looks really good value.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    Dair said:

calum said:

Dair said:

calum said:

Dair said:

malcolmg said:

calum said:
    They are consistent in regurgitating all their old dross. Pieman getting it is a hoot.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1287302/MSP-Frank-McAveety-forced-resign-dark-dusky-woman-comments.html#ixzz3lGjRmGnb
    This doesn't seem to fit very comfortably with Kezia's 50/50 gender balance policy - or is there something some of these male SLAB stalwarts are not disclosing about their current gender ?
    It just feeds more strongly into the East/West split of the current round of the SLAB meltdown. The more Kez tries to reform Scottish Labour into a more inclusive and meritorious party (in her mind) the more the Dinosaurs of West Central Scotland will do just the opposite.

What better way to confront Kez than appointing a gluttenous, leching beast to what is, amazingly, now Scottish Labour's most powerful political position.
    I think Kezia is trying to run the party from Edinburgh and trying to manoeuvre around the SLAB's Glasgow Office. The last I read, only the folks who were party members or affiliates in mid June 2015 are going to be allowed to vote on the regional list placings in February 2016.

The problem with that strategy from Kez is that the bulk of the membership and therefore the last few coppers of their money is all in the West. She's trying to use the money from the dinosaurs to marginalise them.

To complicate matters further for Kez I think Corbyn's man on the ground in Scotland is going to be Neil Findlay. I wouldn't put it past Corbyn to appoint Findlay as SoS with Murray as his deputy !!

https://twitter.com/Neil_FindlayMSP/status/642045670711496708
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Mortimer said:

His parents, like many good socialists, lived in a seven-bedroom mansion. There is no reason why they should not have sent their son to a private school except a purely philosophical one - and as we know from a Certain Person, usually genetic possessiveness trumps principles in such cases.

It is a state school now: nobody disputes that, although it is an unusual state school. The question is whether it was in the early 1960s, and I believe it wasn't. If someone has hard evidence to the contrary, I will admit my error.
  • Options

Plato said:

TudorRose said:

That was my guess too.
    We have moved several dimensions beyond satire. The buffoonery which led to Jim Hacker moving from being the most useless minister in government to becoming the PM has nothing on what is happening now.
    Surely Colonel Graham Chapman will appear soon with his swagger stick and call a halt, 'Stop that - it's silly!'
  • Options
    Train just pulling in to Newcastle with "ScotRail" written on the side.

Who moved the border?
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

It *is* one now, but what ydoethur and myself are unsure of is the status during Corbyn's time there.
  • Options

Train just pulling in to Newcastle with "ScotRail" written on the side.

Who moved the border?

Cancel that - the station signs aren't bilingual, so we must still be in England!
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,223
    Nice spot Isam. It's a shame the MSM don't like reporting such stories. After all of the posturing our esteemed PM and Chancellor caved in.
  • Options
    :smiley:

Plato said:

TudorRose said:

That was my guess too.
    We have moved several dimensions beyond satire. The buffoonery which led to Jim Hacker moving from being the most useless minister in government to becoming the PM has nothing on what is happening now.
    Surely Colonel Graham Chapman will appear soon with his swagger stick and call a halt, 'Stop that - it's silly!'
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    The thread the following day was even worse.. so smug, but completely wrong.

Rememeber, the £1.7b was paid this week.

chestnut • Posts: 2,068
    November 2014

Speedy said:
    Cameron will pay the full amount

chestnut said
    All £850m.

As opposed to the £1.7bn that the public have been hearing about for weeks

November 2014

He will pay the full amount, £850m. Not the £1.7bn which UKIP, Labour, the EU, and the media said was the full amount, until today.

Charles • Posts: 9,777
    November 2014

Speedy said:

Cameron has agreed to pay the full amount, Osborne has tried and failed to mask it as if he's agreed to pay half of it.

Charles said

Try engaging with the facts, rather than your prejudices.

I think they are paying £850m too much.

But they are paying £850m less than everyone thought they were going to have to.

http://politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com/discussion/1975/politicalbetting-com-blog-archive-marf-on-osborne-s-halving-of-the-eu-budget-payment-and-n/p1
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    new thread
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

Plato said:

TudorRose said:

That was my guess too.
    Since you raise the point - how did they get Jim Hacker from being the most useless minister to becoming PM?

I hardly ever watch TV & didn't become aware of Yes Minister etc until I started reading PB, so that puzzles me!
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    MP_SE said:

isam said:

November 2014

Kippers FEWMIN !

November 2014

November 2014

What's the funniest thing about all of this is the bill came about by the UK deciding to include items such as prostitution and drug dealing in our GDP figures and to backdate it to 2010 !!
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    AnneJGP said:

Plato said:

TudorRose said:

That was my guess too.
    Since you raise the point - how did they get Jim Hacker from being the most useless minister to becoming PM?

I hardly ever watch TV & didn't become aware of Yes Minister etc until I started reading PB, so that puzzles me!
    He wasn't the most useless minister, they stated on several occasions it was felt he had done 'alright' by the PM and others, despite mess ups and fears he'd gone native under Sir Humphrey.

At some point though he became party chairman, and when the PM resigned there was open war between the Foreign Minister and the Chancellor who hated each other and would split the party (the deputy PM had already been forced to resign over a scandal). Sir Humphrey in concert with, I believe, the Chief Whip, convinced Hacker to run (that he had no choice but to run, which he already wanted) by showing him their secrets (sex scandals and financial chicanery) which they justified in the absence of a PM by him being the party chairman and it would be chaos if either won. He then used that to get them to stand down and back him to stop the other.

He simultaneously manufactured an outrage and solution to an EU mess to raise his public profile while also pitching as the moderate candidate.

Oh, spoiler alert.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

isam said:

November 2014

Kippers FEWMIN !

November 2014

November 2014

What has happened is what was agreed at the time. The payments were agreed, £850bn in two stages and paid by Sept 15. The issue of the rebate was agreed at the time. And of course the payment, based on GDP, was not paid immediately as demanded but over a year later. Whether its right to speculate on GDP in order to arrive at payments is another matter.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Plato said:
    Oh FFS - He is like a stuck record.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    edited September 2015
    kle4 said:

AnneJGP said:

Plato said:

TudorRose said:

That was my guess too.

He wasn't the most useless minister, they stated on several occasions it was felt he had done 'alright' by the PM and others, despite mess ups and fears he'd gone native under Sir Humphrey.

At some point though he became party chairman, and when the PM resigned there was open war between the Foreign Minister and the Chancellor who hated each other and would split the party (the deputy PM had already been forced to resign over a scandal). Sir Humphrey in concert with, I believe, the Chief Whip, convinced Hacker to run (that he had no choice but to run, which he already wanted) by showing him their secrets (sex scandals and financial chicanery) which they justified in the absence of a PM by him being the party chairman and it would be chaos if either won. He then used that to get them to stand down and back him to stop the other.

He simultaneously manufactured an outrage and solution to an EU mess to raise his public profile while also pitching as the moderate candidate.

Oh, spoiler alert.
    Very many thanks for this lovely summary - I thought no-one would even see my query when I realised I'd caught the new thread.

(edited for spelling)
  • Options
    calum said:

Dair said:

calum said:

Dair said:

calum said:

Dair said:

malcolmg said:

calum said:

To complicate matters further for Kez I think Corbyn's man on the ground in Scotland is going to be Neil Findlay. I wouldn't put it past Corbyn to appoint Findlay as SoS with Murray as his deputy !!

https://twitter.com/Neil_FindlayMSP/status/642045670711496708
    Haha, would be hilarious. Might even force Murray to defect to the Libs then they would be 9 (or back to 8) middle aged, white men as their entire Westminster contingent.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,916
    watford30 said:

Plato said:

Former London mayor Ken Livingstone is in line for a top role if Jeremy Corbyn wins the Labour leadership race

Ken Livingstone has been suggested as a leader of the 'Corbyn army'
    It would include all those who paid £3 to back him in the leadership race
    Corbyn set to call shadow cabinet members to assess suitability to serve under him

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3228619/Former-London-mayor-Ken-Livingstone-line-role-Jeremy-Corbyn-wins-Labour-leadership-race.html#ixzz3lMFLCmQx
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
    Red Ken? Ha Ha Ha.

Derek Hatton must be on tenterhooks, waiting for that call.

It will be quite interesting.

Ken Livingstone and 99,999 evil baby eating Tory infiltrators.

Presumably they are all concentration camp guards.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

Plato said:

TudorRose said:

That was my guess too.
    kle4 has covered it. I think one of the contenders was found drunk in the back of a taxi (George Brown style) and others shot themselves in the foot. Sir Humphrey also realised he was likely to be Cabinet Secretary as well and of course aided the plotting.
    Plus the scriptwriters were on his side as well. As I say - labour have moved beyond parody and satire.
  • Options

TudorRose said:

I think the correct term is 'hafeez" but I could be wrong.
    Someone who has orally memorised the Koran is a hafiz (m) or hafiza (f). It means "guardian".

Competitions for oral recitations of the complete Koran are common, I think from early teens.

It is about 3 times as long as Hamlet.
  • Options
    edited September 2015

@MSmithsonPB: So I didn't after all get a LAB leadership vote. I want my £3 back.

OGH needed plastic surgery and a pseudonym back in about 2004 !
  • Options
    calum said:

MP_SE said:

isam said:

November 2014

Kippers FEWMIN !

November 2014

November 2014

What's the funniest thing about all of this is the bill came about by the UK deciding to include items such as prostitution and drug dealing in our GDP figures and to backdate it to 2010 !!
    Whats funny is you do not know the reason but will shout your ignorance.
    'The surcharge is affected by changes in the way the EU calculated gross national income, which now includes elements such as prostitution and illegal drugs.' (the Financial Times). The reassessment led to Germany paying less.
    'A Commission spokesman aid it was principally due to changes in the relative economic strength of the EU's member states.' (Huffington).
    Take your pick - but nothing to do with any unilateral UK decision.
    The surcharge refers to years 2002-13 in fact, so the sum is spread over 11 years.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    rcs1000 said:

Is your demographic idiots?
    Cornyn is drawing support from a very wide set of demographics. They can't all be idiots.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

rcs1000 said:

Cornyn is drawing support from a very wide set of demographics. They can't all be idiots.
    Yes they can.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    welshowl said:

rcs1000 said:

Yes they can.
    welshowl said:

rcs1000 said:

Yes they can.
    No they can't.
  • Options
    The advanced technology made it easier for modern enthusiasts to play Rajdhani Day Night Matka regardless of their current location. He can simply choose a website, and participate in various Matka draws anytime and anywhere.
    http://sattamatkaresults.in/