Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Voting has closed now and the speculation begins

Comments

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited September 2015
    It's probably worth putting a small bet on Cooper at this stage. She won't win but there's bound to be a moment during the counting process where a rumour emerges saying she's doing better than expected which affects the odds.

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/#/politics/market/1.103946886
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,210
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

What's the betting on a Tory 50% poll in this parliament? One can dream.....

I have a feeling we'll all be disappointed at how relatively 'normal' polling is, with Tory leads for a bit, Labour then getting decent (but not necessarily high enough for an opposition) leads, which if are not decent enough will lead possibly to an ousting.
    Boo!
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    BREAKING::::
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news
    NI first minister steps down
  • Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897
    edited September 2015
    DUP leaving finance and personnel minister Arlene Foster in executive as gatekeeper to stop crazy-lefty policies. She is staying on as temporary first minister to keep things going.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,358
    Anyone wonder if the politicians of NI are upset that their usual level of political nincompoopery isn't getting attention because of Corbynmania, so they've decided to up their game?
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''I have a feeling we'll all be disappointed at how relatively 'normal' polling is...'

Agreed.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

watford30 said:

I heard that Baghdad has accepted Germany's kind offer of citizenship and the population are on their way. May be far fetched but what on earth has Merkel done and at what point will she be forced to retract and how can she retract.

Well, that depends how many have already upped sticks and are on their way.

1 million? 10 million?

'Ach, but you kant come here, I only zaid 800,000'

Merkel's probably made one of the worst decisions and announcements by a European politician, ever.
    I think "Let's split Poland between us; nobody will do anything about it" is also a contender.

Also by a German as it happens. Arrogance is a feature, not a bug.

Also, "Let's violate Belgian neutrality, no one will notice"...
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 50,010
    edited September 2015
    kle4 said:

Anyone wonder if the politicians of NI are upset that their usual level of political nincompoopery isn't getting attention because of Corbynmania, so they've decided to up their game?

Northern Ireland actually has a province-wide CLP.

http://www.labourpartyni.org/
  • Options
    The situation in NI is very disturbing,more so for anyone who remembers "The Troubles".One of the reasons Labour supporting people,including me,need to stop using the term "Blairite" as an insult, is because it negates any political capital Labour can gain from wholeheartedly celebrating the massive achievements of the Blair government,particularly the 1st period from 1997-2001,including the social liberalism of the Human Rights Act and FOI Act but the jewel in the crown was the NI peace process which seems now to be under threat.
    The next Labour leader's appointment of a shadow NI secretary is thus perhaps the most pressing appointment.It must be someone who will be seen to be fair to all in NI and Jeremy Corbyn has work to do to gain the trust of unionists.There also remains the idea floated by Andy Burnham that Labour changes policy,organises and puts up candidates in NI.This makes sense if UK Labour decides to support a federal structure.
    I suggest Keir Starmer for the role and I hope to see him in the shadow cabinet and I second TSE's view that he is value at 20-1 for the next Labour leader.He is a man relatively "baggage free".
    I wonder if Jeremy does succession planning?
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

The situation in NI is very disturbing,more so for anyone who remembers "The Troubles".One of the reasons Labour supporting people,including me,need to stop using the term "Blairite" as an insult, is because it negates any political capital Labour can gain from wholeheartedly celebrating the massive achievements of the Blair government,particularly the 1st period from 1997-2001,including the social liberalism of the Human Rights Act and FOI Act but the jewel in the crown was the NI peace process which seems now to be under threat.
    The next Labour leader's appointment of a shadow NI secretary is thus perhaps the most pressing appointment.It must be someone who will be seen to be fair to all in NI and Jeremy Corbyn has work to do to gain the trust of unionists.There also remains the idea floated by Andy Burnham that Labour changes policy,organises and puts up candidates in NI.This makes sense if UK Labour decides to support a federal structure.
    I suggest Keir Starmer for the role and I hope to see him in the shadow cabinet and I second TSE's view that he is value at 20-1 for the next Labour leader.He is a man relatively "baggage free".

Bollocks. NI was John Major.
  • Options

GeoffM said:

watford30 said:

I heard that Baghdad has accepted Germany's kind offer of citizenship and the population are on their way. May be far fetched but what on earth has Merkel done and at what point will she be forced to retract and how can she retract.

1 million? 10 million?

Merkel's probably made one of the worst decisions and announcements by a European politician, ever.
    I think "Let's split Poland between us; nobody will do anything about it" is also a contender.

To be fair they were right about that both times.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,060
    edited September 2015
    AndyJS said:

It's probably worth putting a small bet on Cooper at this stage. She won't win but there's bound to be a moment during the counting process where a rumour emerges saying she's doing better than expected which affects the odds.

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/#/politics/market/1.103946886

I will be betting on Burnham tonight now his odds are at their longest. If he gets to the final two he has a better chance of winning than Cooper as more of his voters have preferenced Corbyn than Cooper voters. Corbyn of course remains favourite
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669

GeoffM said:

watford30 said:

1 million? 10 million?

Belgian neutrality - it's up there with Norwegian charisma in terms of meaningless phrases.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    GeoffM said:

watford30 said:

1 million? 10 million?

Surely Uncle Joe's bargain was one of the best in history. He agreed to just take half of Poland and ended up with not only all of Poland but all of Eastern Europe and half of Germany having massacred nearly all the intelligentsia capable of inspiring original thought along the way. As they say, "Result!"
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

GeoffM said:

watford30 said:

1 million? 10 million?

Belgian neutrality - it's up there with Norwegian charisma in terms of meaningless phrases.
    GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

watford30 said:

1 million? 10 million?

Britain declared war in 1914 because of that violation:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_London_(1839)
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

The second, permanent IRA ceasefire happened after Sir John was defeated.
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    Plato said:
    The man just has this visceral hatred of America doesn't he?
  • Options

GeoffM said:

I think his point was that the process didn't start on May 2nd 1997, and a lot of groundwork was required to get that far.
  • Options
    JEO said:

Plato said:
    He's lost me as a fan.
  • Options
    JEO said:

Plato said:
    They are supporting his friends opponents, so yeah!
  • Options
    edited September 2015

GeoffM said:

watford30 said:

1 million? 10 million?

Surely Uncle Joe's bargain was one of the best in history. He agreed to just take half of Poland and ended up with not only all of Poland but all of Eastern Europe and half of Germany having massacred nearly all the intelligentsia capable of inspiring original thought along the way. As they say, "Result!"
    Also by pushing the Polish frontier back two hundred miles or so, he bought some time during the subsequent German invasion in 1941.
  • Options

Tim_B said:

GeoffM said:

watford30 said:

1 million? 10 million?

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

watford30 said:

1 million? 10 million?

Maybe, but it really all started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry.

© Private Baldrick
  • Options
    taffys said:

''I have a feeling we'll all be disappointed at how relatively 'normal' polling is...'

Agreed.

Ditto - but still, the summer of madness has been a hoot to witness, I'm getting the T-Shirt.
  • Options

GeoffM said:

Last Tuesday also happened after Sir John was defeated.
    Unclear about your point, if any.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Just for you https://twitter.com/PlatoSays/status/642010961767997440

taffys said:

Agreed.

Ditto - but still, the summer of madness has been a hoot to witness, I'm getting the T-Shirt.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

JEO said:

Plato said:
    He's lost me as a fan.
    "Please! I like America!"
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 13,116
    edited September 2015
    RobD said:

What's the betting on a poll with a Conservative vote share BELOW 30% ?

• Options
    JEO said:

Plato said:

EPIC twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/641982714908934145

Standard attitude for the loony left. 'Great Satan' don't you know.
    The USA is a successful capitalist bastion against communism. Its obvious why the nutjob left hate it.

• Options
    stodge said:

RobD said:

A mathematical impossibility :p
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Tim_B said:

GeoffM said:

watford30 said:

1 million? 10 million?

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

watford30 said:

1 million? 10 million?

Maybe, but it really all started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry.

© Private Baldrick
    How did he know the ostrich was hungry?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 13,116
    RobD said:

stodge said:

RobD said:

How so ? Perfectly possible to imagine a severe midterm slump in popularity and problems relating to the EU referendum etc.

• Options
    stodge said:

RobD said:

stodge said:

RobD said:

How so ? Perfectly possible to imagine a severe midterm slump in popularity and problems relating to the EU referendum etc.

I was being silly (hence the smiley)!
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

GeoffM said:

Tim_B said:

GeoffM said:

watford30 said:

1 million? 10 million?

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

watford30 said:

1 million? 10 million?

© Private Baldrick
    He refused to partake of Baldrick's "Rat au Van" :lol:
  • Options
    Good evening, comrades.

Will the Conservative genie keep granting wishes? Will Labour attempt to eat its own face?

We'll find out soon.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,358
    edited September 2015
    stodge said:

RobD said:

stodge said:

RobD said:

I'd have thought it more likely than the Tories getting to 50% - it requires plenty of things to go wrong to get to sub 30%, which might appear unlikely right now, but no matter how many things go right there are just too many people who will put anything other than Tory for them to get to 50% I think.

That must be slightly annoying to Tories, but I guess they cannot get greedy.
  • Options
    JEO said:

Plato said:
    Corbyn, if he ever became PM, would rather have special relationships with Putin's Russia, Palestine and Cuba than the USA and Israel with the possible exception of a Sanders presidency
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

Blair won the Election, IRA saw an end to evil Tory rule. Decided to do business with St. Tone.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865

Charles said:

TSE - you appear to have backed Cooper in the competition and yet predicted JC getting over 50%.

Have I missed something?

Auto correct gone mammary glands up I think
    You wanted to vote Corbyn, but after two letters, the auto-correct assumed that only a fuck-wit would want to vote that way, so....
    My phone is used to me regularly typing "Agent Cooper"
    She's dead. Wrapped in plastic.
    Yay someone got the reference. My friend really regrets becoming a field agent for a utility and having the surname Cooper.
    Does he/she have a partner called Dianne?

No, but she does have a dog called Dale.
    Ha!

Does she like cherry pie? I mean really?
    I take it this doesn't get old for you, but same can't be said for her?

Any more news about Frost/Lynch wrt a new series yet? Last I hear, Lynch was back on board...
    My surname is one that leads to many jokes.

The frustrating thing is not the jokes, but that the jokers believe that they are being witty and original.

Believe me, you are not! I have heard every possible combination of joke on the topic.
    Could be worse, my friend has the name A Hooker.

Everyone thinks they are the first person to tell her "I'm spending the next few hours with A Hooker"
    I participated in a investigation after a ship hit a dock. The captain was Captain Buckle, the investigating officer was Captain Basham and the class surveyor was Captain Dent

They had immense pleasure in signing off the final damage report as

Captains Basham, Buckle and Dent
  • Options

Tim_B said:

GeoffM said:

Tim_B said:

GeoffM said:

watford30 said:

1 million? 10 million?

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

watford30 said:

1 million? 10 million?

© Private Baldrick
    He refused to partake of Baldrick's "Rat au Van" :lol:
    Did he drink the coffee?
  • Options

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

Blair won the Election, IRA saw an end to evil Tory rule. Decided to do business with St. Tone.
    Yeah, that's how it went down....
  • Options
    MattW said:

AndyJS said:

SeanT said:

Just been having a debate on Twitter with an intelligent europhile who hadn't worked out why mass Syrian/3rd World migration into Sweden/Germany was a problem for his side in the euroref.

He hadn't worked out that Free Movement means they can come here, in time.

If that's the calibre of europhile thinking the INNERS have a big problem.

This seems to be one of those occasions where the more "intelligent" someone apparently is the more stupid they are when it comes to noticing the obvious.
    Intelligence does not equal being correct or more likely to reach the right conclusion, only that you have a very good innate ability to learn. But that doesn't mean it's consistently exercised.

In Sweden, before the war, the educated elites though euthanasia was a jolly good thing.

Intelligent people tend to think they have no prejudices when, in fact, they do, it's just they are more sophisticated in their explanation of those so they end up both sounding like they are rationalised positions and, through that, convincing themselves that they are too.
    As did the Fabians ...
    and Churchill & Roosevelt (T).
  • Options
    kle4 said:

stodge said:

RobD said:

stodge said:

RobD said:

I'd have thought it more likely than the Tories getting to 50% - it requires plenty of things to go wrong to get to sub 30%, which might appear unlikely right now, but no matter how many things go right there are just too many people who will put anything other than Tory for them to get to 50% I think.

That must be slightly annoying to Tories, but I guess they cannot get greedy.
    Fine. I'll settle for 45%. A modest improvement over the current position. :D
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

GeoffM said:

© Private Baldrick
    Yes, you've cleverly spotted that the plan, of course, involved the ostrich being hungry.
    Which turned out to be a bad guess.

Captain Blackadder: Yes, that's right. You see, there was a tiny flaw in the plan.
    Private Baldrick: What was that, sir?
    Captain Blackadder: It was bollocks.
    Private Baldrick: So the poor old ostrich died for nothing then.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

JEO said:

Plato said:
    Corbyn, if he ever became PM, would rather have special relationships with Putin's Russia, Palestine and Cuba than the USA and Israel with the possible exception of a Sanders presidency
    Bernie's brother Larry Sanders actually contested Oxford West & Abingdon at GE2015 for the Green Party. He only came fifth, however.

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Oxford_West_and_Abingdon&redirect=no
  • Options

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

I'd love to live inside your head for half an hour :)
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

I'd love to live inside your head for half an hour :)
    My apologies - should have said 'an end to "evil" Tory rule' - oops! :lol:
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

I'm partaking in a YouGov survey.

They are asking me who I admire the most, Cameron or Thatcher.

How many Indyrefs did Maggie win ?
    One

The Falklands

;-)
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited September 2015
    @Moses, - My apologies, I appear to have mistook you in an earlier post for a 7 foot Llama…

How was your trip escaping the Danish border guard...!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,536
    Moses_ said:

Charles said:

TSE - you appear to have backed Cooper in the competition and yet predicted JC getting over 50%.

Have I missed something?

You wanted to vote Corbyn, but after two letters, the auto-correct assumed that only a fuck-wit would want to vote that way, so....
    Yay someone got the reference. My friend really regrets becoming a field agent for a utility and having the surname Cooper.

Ha!

Any more news about Frost/Lynch wrt a new series yet? Last I hear, Lynch was back on board...

The frustrating thing is not the jokes, but that the jokers believe that they are being witty and original.

Believe me, you are not! I have heard every possible combination of joke on the topic.

Everyone thinks they are the first person to tell her "I'm spending the next few hours with A Hooker"
    I participated in a investigation after a ship hit a dock. The captain was Captain Buckle, the investigating officer was Captain Basham and the class surveyor was Captain Dent

Our chief witness in the first case I was ever involved in during my articles rejoiced in the name of Randy Kruk....
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Latest betfair

JC 1.21
    YC 9
    AB 16

Think YC is the price to watch - AB looks done.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

TGOHF said:

How many Indyrefs did Maggie win ?
    One

The Falklands

;-)
    She also saw off Scargill in his Socialist Republic of South Yorkshire....
  • Options

Moses_ said:

Charles said:

Have I missed something?

Ha!

Our chief witness in the first case I was ever involved in during my articles rejoiced in the name of Randy Kruk....
    A classmate of mine was of Chinese heritage, with the surname Fu.

Teacher: How do you spell that?
    Classmate: F U, sir!
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    Jackpot on Pointless.. .Name any constituency with "East" "West" or "North" in the title

I got two pointless answers from my three...
  • Options
    Never mind trying to nick a point or two on Yvette:

https://twitter.com/stephenkb/status/642016866714689536
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Probably the bigger risk for the Tories is becoming too fixated on Corbyn and his nutcase associates and failing to make the positive case for their own policies, only to find that Labour neutralise the attacks by dumping Corbyn, putting the Tories behind the game against a fresh new Labour leader (even allowing for there being a fresh new Tory leader too).

Clive Lewis will swoop in and take over from Corbyn about a year before the election. He's a lefty economically and also a bit "doveish" on foreign policy, but has (a) served in the Army so it would literally be impossible for the Tories to paint him as "anti-British", and (b) is more charismatic than Corbyn.
    Well a good point but sadly wrong. They won't paint him as anti British for his military history which is of course without question. They will utterly destroy him because he sat on the sidelines while the expected LOTO remained in place for 4 solid years without a whimper.

If they elect Corby then truly there really is no way back..... for anyone.

G.A.M.E. O.V.E.R.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    TGOHF said:

Latest betfair

JC 1.21
    YC 9
    AB 16

Think YC is the price to watch - AB looks done.

Unless JC gets less than 47% in the first ballot, ABC cannot win.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Charles said:

Have I missed something?

Ha!

Sounds about as bad as Captain Pugwash.
  • Options
    Just heard on Italian news that the French only want Christian refugees.. and the break up begins..
  • Options
    isam said:

Jackpot on Pointless.. .Name any constituency with "East" "West" or "North" in the title

Which ones?
  • Options

isam said:

Which ones?
    Well there were 170 Pointless answers!

I said Rochford & Southend East, East Ham & Islington North.. East Ham scored 3 the other two were Pointless
  • Options
    edited September 2015

Moses_ said:

Charles said:

Have I missed something?

Ha!

Many years ago I lived in Twickenham, and near Twickenham Green was a butcher's shop, with a big sign saying - For Best quality meats only, Caress and Seymour
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,490

Both cheeks of the same arse
  • Options

How would you price up "Will Tories Score 50% in a Westminster VI Poll this term?"
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Danny565 said:

Probably the bigger risk for the Tories is becoming too fixated on Corbyn and his nutcase associates and failing to make the positive case for their own policies, only to find that Labour neutralise the attacks by dumping Corbyn, putting the Tories behind the game against a fresh new Labour leader (even allowing for there being a fresh new Tory leader too).

Clive Lewis will swoop in and take over from Corbyn about a year before the election. He's a lefty economically and also a bit "doveish" on foreign policy, but has (a) served in the Army so it would literally be impossible for the Tories to paint him as "anti-British", and (b) is more charismatic than Corbyn.
    Well a good point but sadly wrong. They won't paint him as anti British for his military history which is of course without question. They will utterly destroy him because he sat on the sidelines while the expected LOTO remained in place for 4 solid years without a whimper.

If they elect Corby then truly there really is no way back..... for anyone.

G.A.M.E. O.V.E.R.
    Serving in the military dies not stop charges of weakness just ask John Kerry. In any case Dan Jarvis would probably be a better bet
  • Options

HYUFD said:

JEO said:

Plato said:
    Bernie's brother Larry Sanders actually contested Oxford West & Abingdon at GE2015 for the Green Party. He only came fifth, however.

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Oxford_West_and_Abingdon&redirect=no
    The only party likely to be threatened by Corbyn and Sanders are the Greens
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

Just heard on Italian news that the French only want Christian refugees.. and the break up begins..

The two Mayors are from Sarkozy's party according to our press.

The Slovakians, Cypriots and Hungarians are making similar noises.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    Dair said:

calum said:

Dair said:

malcolmg said:

calum said:
    They are consistent in regurgitating all their old dross. Pieman getting it is a hoot.
    Perhaps they are hoping he can revive their chances with the Efnick vote.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1287302/MSP-Frank-McAveety-forced-resign-dark-dusky-woman-comments.html#ixzz3lGjRmGnb
    This doesn't seem to fit very comfortably with Kezia's 50/50 gender balance policy - or is there something some of these male SLAB stalwarts are not disclosing about their current gender ?
    It just feeds more strongly into the East/West split of the current round of the SLAB meltdown. The more Kez tries to reform Scottish Labour into a more inclusive and meritorious party (in her mind) the more the Dinosaurs of West Central Scotland will do just the opposite.

What better way to confront Kez than appointing a gluttenous, leching beast to what is, amazingly, now Scottish Labour's most powerful political position.
    I think Kezia is trying to run the party from Edinburgh and trying to manoeuvre around the SLAB's Glasgow Office. The last I read, only the folks who were party members or affiliates in mid June 2015 are going to be allowed to vote on the regional list placings in February 2016.

At least Murray has confirmed he would serve in a Corbyn cabinet.
  • Options

@Moses, - My apologies, I appear to have mistook you in an earlier post for a 7 foot Llama…

How was your trip escaping the Danish border guard...!

Well sort of uneventful. Just north of the border there were some at a petrol station but not causing any problems. Checked boot before departure as was recommended by another PB er
    Border was open on the road and there of of course no checkpoints or wasn't today.

I did notice that there were 10 times the number of lorries heading north compared to the ones heading south..... Make your own mind up.

Hamburg airport is a mess tonight. Nearly 2 hours to get through security

I blame Ms. Merkel as do the Danes.
  • Options
    isam said:

How would you price up "Will Tories Score 50% in a Westminster VI Poll this term?"
    Any poll by any of the usual suspects: 2/1 Yes 4/11 No. But it will probably be won by Xmas or not at all
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,490
    edited September 2015
    Tim_B said:

JEO said:

Plato said:
    He's lost me as a fan.
    Many Many do, how many countries have they wrecked
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Which ones?

I said Rochford & Southend East, East Ham & Islington North.. East Ham scored 3 the other two were Pointless
    170? Probably a record!
  • Options

isam said:

Any poll by any of the usual suspects: 2/1 Yes 4/11 No. But it will probably be won by Xmas or not at all
    Oh goodo, I went 5/2 2/7
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

Which ones?

170? Probably a record!
    Richard just read out those that scored points
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    isam said:

If Khan wins the Labour nom then Zak is a shoe in.
  • Options

Moses_ said:

Charles said:

Have I missed something?

Ha!

I once had to assess for employment a Chinese candidate with the name

Hu Suk Bum
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Which ones?

But did the contestants get any of the 170 pointless answers?
  • Options
    edited September 2015

isam said:

isam said:

Which ones?

But did the contestants get any of the 170 pointless answers?
    Yes.. I cant remember which now!

They said East Bridlington which doesn't exist anymore, and Dundee North which got one point

I think Aberdeen North was wot won it.. they said if they won with a place name they had planned to spend the prize visiting it.. but then changed their mind afterwards!
  • Options
    Not even read this yet, bound to be important:

https://twitter.com/NCPoliticsUK/status/642024527363481600
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,886
    edited September 2015
    Seems like Jowell will be the one most screwed over by the union sign ups and £3ers rather than any of the leadership contenders. If the voting figures are broken down, there could be unhappiness if Jowell is ahead by a decent amount amongst members.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Former London mayor Ken Livingstone is in line for a top role if Jeremy Corbyn wins the Labour leadership race

Ken Livingstone has been suggested as a leader of the 'Corbyn army'
    It would include all those who paid £3 to back him in the leadership race
    Corbyn set to call shadow cabinet members to assess suitability to serve under him

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3228619/Former-London-mayor-Ken-Livingstone-line-role-Jeremy-Corbyn-wins-Labour-leadership-race.html#ixzz3lMFLCmQx
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    "I hear that Team Corbyn has started ringing round senior Labour MPs to check whether they are willing to serve in a Jeremy Corbyn-led Shadow Cabinet. They may not be measuring the curtains, but they are leafing through the catalogues."
    http://blogs.channel4.com/gary-gibbon-on-politics/road-corbyn/31401
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

Charles said:

Have I missed something?

Ha!

I once had to assess for employment a Chinese candidate with the name

Hu Suk Bum
    When I worked for Tesco we had some student agency workers.
    Min Gi
    Che Se
    Chun Kee Kok
    Used to cause much mirth in the office if someone had to call them over the tannoy

• Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    edited September 2015
    Plato said:

Former London mayor Ken Livingstone is in line for a top role if Jeremy Corbyn wins the Labour leadership race

Ken Livingstone has been suggested as a leader of the 'Corbyn army'
    It would include all those who paid £3 to back him in the leadership race
    Corbyn set to call shadow cabinet members to assess suitability to serve under him

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3228619/Former-London-mayor-Ken-Livingstone-line-role-Jeremy-Corbyn-wins-Labour-leadership-race.html#ixzz3lMFLCmQx
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
    Red Ken? Ha Ha Ha.

Derek Hatton must be on tenterhooks, waiting for that call.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

"I hear that Team Corbyn has started ringing round senior Labour MPs to check whether they are willing to serve in a Jeremy Corbyn-led Shadow Cabinet. They may not be measuring the curtains, but they are leafing through the catalogues."

Is this a Sheffield rally moment?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Moses_ said:

There is no point in this conversation.

Nothing will ever beat the British Ambassador (in Moscow, I think) during 1916 who wrote to the Foreign Officer to report that he had a new colleague by the name of Mustapha Kunt.

As he put it "we all feel like that from time to time, but it takes a Turk to put in on their card"
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Red Ken? Ha Ha Ha.

Should go down well in those northern strongholds...
  • Options
    Charles said:

Moses_ said:

Nothing will ever beat the British Ambassador (in Moscow, I think) during 1916 who wrote to the Foreign Officer to report that he had a new colleague by the name of Mustapha Kunt.

As he put it "we all feel like that from time to time, but it takes a Turk to put in on their card"
    Indeed. Fighting for the lesser podium positions....
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

"We're aaaaall LEFT!"
  • Options
    Mr. Taffys, not sure it'll harm Labour that much in such areas.

Mr. Borough, the Sheffield Rally happened before the polls opened, though.

For those a little older than me, was 1992 or 2015 the more shocking result?
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

"We're aaaaall LEFT!"
    LOL!

Will the last Blairite to leave the building please turn out the lights.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

RodCrosby said:

"We're aaaaall LEFT!"
    Genuine LOL.
  • Options

1992 I'd say. Although I knew on the day itself that the Tories had probably won when a friends wife - a teacher and usually fairly centre ground - said she'd gone Tory in a marginal seat.
  • Options
    £128 available @ 16.5 Burnham.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,189
    Well I'm an engineer from Solihull and I finally joined Labour to vote for Corbyn.
    Quite a few people in my demographic that I know have done the same.
  • Options

Good question. I'd say 2015 actually, because virtually no-one say a Tory majority coming. Though a lot of people thought 1992 would be either small Lab majority or a hung parliament, a Tory majority was also seen as a possibility - and after 1983, 1987 many Labour supporters were not that optimistic.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Liz Kendall made a speech today:

http://www.lizforleader.com/closingspeech

Credit to her for atleast having the humility and self-awareness to recognise that she/the Blairites got things wrong. But she goes onto demonstrate just why they've failed when she describes the EU referendum as "the defining event of our generation": most Labour members, even ones who are pro-EU (leaving aside the growing Lefty Eurosceptics) rank fighting austerity and inequality as higher priorities than staying in Europe.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,332
    edited September 2015
    Charles said:

Moses_ said:

Archibald Kerr, Lord Inverchapel, British Ambassador to Moscow, writing to Reginald Pembroke in 1943, when the outcome of Barbarossa was still in doubt:
    My Dear Reggie,

In these dark days man tends to look for little shafts of light that spill from Heaven. My days are probably darker than yours, and I need, my God I do, all the light I can get. But I am a decent fellow, and I do not want to be mean and selfish about what little brightness is shed upon me from time to time. So I propose to share with you a tiny flash that has illuminated my sombre life and tell you that God has given me a new Turkish colleague whose card tells me that he is called Mustapha Kunt.

We all feel like that, Reggie, now and then, especially when Spring is upon us, but few of us would care to put it on our cards. It takes a Turk to do that.

Sir Archibald Clerk Kerr, H.M. Ambassador"
    I have actually seen the original, which is in the National Archives and has a government stamp on it, so despite Wikipedia casting doubt on it it is genuine!