Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Reminder: There’ve been only 2 published LAB polls the late

Comments

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,798
    Tim_B said:

Dair said:

Tim_B said:

Oil has fallen below $45 a barrel and seems likely to stay low for some time.

How is this affecting North Sea production?

Apparently its cost a fair number of jobs but it was hard to tell from the BBC spending their News programming on hagiographies of a sour faced old benefits scrounger.
    Sky business news stated today that 65,000 North Sea jobs have been lost. Is this true as we do not hear it on this forum which is surprising if it is true and worrying, as a lot of my Scottish relatives in the North East of Scotland depend on oil jobs both in the North Sea and Worldwide
    If that is the case the rest of the Scottish economy must be going gangbusters.
    It is, you just don;t realise it.
    I don't pretend to know much about the Scottish economy, but I know there is a huge public sector. If you take away the oil business, what is there left to be going gangbusters?
    cheap whisky and Irn Bru
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669

Tim_B said:

Moses_ said:

Evening all.

BBC - Denmark has suspended all rail links with Germany after police stopped hundreds of migrants at the border. - Danish police also closed a motorway between the two countries when some asylum seekers began walking north after being forced off a train.

They say their destination is Sweden.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-34203366

I am presently up in Esbjerg in Denmark and need to go to Hamburg tomorrow. I looked at trains but have hired a car to do it as the rail links were looking iffy at best. It now looks like I may have issues on the autobahn as well then.

Oh dear...
    I spent several months working in Copenhagen in the mid 90s. For some reason they booked me into a hotel in Malmo, so I used to ride the hydrofoil ferry back and forth every day. There was no bridge then.
    Is that the Oresand Bridge? One of the bridges on my list to see before I die.
    I assume so.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,279
    Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

Tim_B said:

Finally - something good about Reading!

The pilot of the BA 777 which caught fire at McCarran airport in Las Vegas lives there.

Kudos to him for his professionalism throughout
    Yes, the captain and crew were exemplary in handling the 'catastrophic failure'. 12 folks needed first . Great job.

The captain is due to retire next week.

I love it that BA flights call sign is still 'speedbird'. People Express used to be 'critter'.
    Indeed, a well deserved retirement
  • Options

Tim_B said:

Dair said:

Tim_B said:

Apparently its cost a fair number of jobs but it was hard to tell from the BBC spending their News programming on hagiographies of a sour faced old benefits scrounger.
    Sky business news stated today that 65,000 North Sea jobs have been lost. Is this true as we do not hear it on this forum which is surprising if it is true and worrying, as a lot of my Scottish relatives in the North East of Scotland depend on oil jobs both in the North Sea and Worldwide
    I don't pretend to know much about the Scottish economy, but I know there is a huge public sector. If you take away the oil business, what is there left to be going gangbusters?
    cheap whisky and Irn Bru
    Not Oor Wullie?
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108

Dair said:

Tim_B said:

Sturgeon is certainly handling it very well, few countries could cope with one of their major industries going into such a sharp fall off yet manage the economy such that it doesn't become an economic tailspin.

If only the UK government hadn't dragged their feet for three months in their determination to milk Scotland as hard as possible, it could have been even better.
  • Options

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

I wonder why yougov hasn't published their labour leadership poll they did last week.
    It concerns me that they don't want their polling to become public and the last one is very old, therefore I have to recommend liquidating all betting positions about it just in case.

Are we sure they did one? Why not publish?
    http://blogs.independent.co.uk/2015/09/05/while-we-wait-for-yougovs-final-poll-why-i-think-corbyn-will-win/

John Rentoul ‏@JohnRentoul Sep 5
    I don't know if YouGov will publish another poll of Labour members/supporters, but here is the evidence so far http://ind.pn/1Xucy0p

Simon Evans ‏@simonevans117 Sep 5
    @JohnRentoul I took part in a yougov a couple days ago for the labour leadership

My suspicion is that yougov is too afraid of getting the result wrong so they are refraining to publish, but if that's the case then the only poll that yougov has published has Corbyn miles and miles ahead, so if the result is anything but a Corbyn victory then their clients will finally pull the plug on yougov.
    My understanding is YouGov will not be publishing any more polls on the Labour leadership.

Remember not every poll they conduct is for public consumption.

They are the only polling company that has the panel to poll on this election.
    I cannot believe they will leave their last published poll as a month old, even if Corbyn wins but by a smaller margin they will dent their credibility further, if Corbyn loses yougov will be holed below the waterline
  • Options
    I tend to favour BA for all my flights.. it is so comforting to hear that cool calm British captain welcoming you on board .. be it male or female.. the Aussies aint too bad either...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

Tim_B said:

The pilot of the BA 777 which caught fire at McCarran airport in Las Vegas lives there.

Yes, the captain and crew were exemplary in handling the 'catastrophic failure'. 12 folks needed first . Great job.

I love it that BA flights call sign is still 'speedbird'. People Express used to be 'critter'.
    How did you screw that up? My post said that 12 folks needed first aid. You lost the 'aid'.

Is this an alcohol related incident? ;)
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

Dair said:

Tim_B said:

cheap whisky and Irn Bru
    Not Oor Wullie?
    I'm afraid he doesn't sell much outside Scotland.
  • Options
    The only reason not to publish would be if their private polling is exactly the same as their last poll in early August, in which case Corbyn is odds on
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,748
    edited September 2015
    HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

I wonder why yougov hasn't published their labour leadership poll they did last week.
    It concerns me that they don't want their polling to become public and the last one is very old, therefore I have to recommend liquidating all betting positions about it just in case.

http://blogs.independent.co.uk/2015/09/05/while-we-wait-for-yougovs-final-poll-why-i-think-corbyn-will-win/

I don't know if YouGov will publish another poll of Labour members/supporters, but here is the evidence so far http://ind.pn/1Xucy0p

@JohnRentoul I took part in a yougov a couple days ago for the labour leadership

My suspicion is that yougov is too afraid of getting the result wrong so they are refraining to publish, but if that's the case then the only poll that yougov has published has Corbyn miles and miles ahead, so if the result is anything but a Corbyn victory then their clients will finally pull the plug on yougov.
    My understanding is YouGov will not be publishing any more polls on the Labour leadership.

I cannot believe they will leave their last published poll as a month old, even if Corbyn wins but by a smaller margin they will dent their credibility further, if Corbyn loses yougov will be holed below the waterline
    Not really, they can argue late swing, the new members, the purge, the shambles and missing ballots as why their last poll was at variance to the final result.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

The only reason not to publish would be if their private polling is exactly the same as their last poll in early August, in which case Corbyn is odds on

No, that's not the only reason.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,978
    So I think we have the mighty Lord Ashcrofts research on labours future tomorrow morning. Nice of him to wait until polling closed.
  • Options
    Dair said:

Dair said:

Tim_B said:

Sturgeon is certainly handling it very well, few countries could cope with one of their major industries going into such a sharp fall off yet manage the economy such that it doesn't become an economic tailspin.

If only the UK government hadn't dragged their feet for three months in their determination to milk Scotland as hard as possible, it could have been even better.
    Errr

I thought you told us oil was irrelevant ? Therefore by your standard Stugeon has managed diddly squat
    Nada
    Nichts
    Rien
    Nic
    Niente
    4call
  • Options
    Dair said:

Dair said:

Tim_B said:

Thanks to the Union Scotland is weathering the oil price collapse. Outside the Union you'd be in merde profonde.
  • Options

I tend to favour BA for all my flights.. it is so comforting to hear that cool calm British captain welcoming you on board .. be it male or female.. the Aussies aint too bad either...

I haven't flown BA since the mid 80s. The last time I flew BA to the UK, the 747 had to land in Boston, and the doors had frozen shut so they couldn't open them for over an hour.

Living at Delta's home base subsequently rather made my decision for me.
  • Options

The classic one was the BA 747 that lost all its engines when it flew through a volcanic ash cloud:
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them going again. I trust you are not in too much distress.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Airways_Flight_9
  • Options
    edited September 2015

Dair said:

Dair said:

Tim_B said:

Thanks to the Union Scotland is weathering the oil price collapse. Outside the Union you'd be in merde profonde.
    #arcofausterity
  • Options
    Wow - Tim Montgomerie has just really socked it to Steven Woolfe of UKIP.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/COfGp56WsAAD3iF.jpg
  • Options

Dair said:

Dair said:

Tim_B said:

#arcofausterity
    What is going on in Norn Iron? Does Dave need to appoint a new English Viceroy to control the natives?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    Moses_ said:

She's been voted out

Lars Løkke Rasmussen is a Danish politician who has served as Prime Minister of Denmark since June 2015. He was previously Prime Minister from April 2009 to October 2011. He is the leader of the centre-right liberal party,

Centre right so a "first born pitch forker" then. :-)

A mild pitch-forker, as is usual in Denmark :-). He says that the EU formula would require Denmark to take 2800 refugees, but they decided to do more: they have so far taken 3000 and are willing to take more. However, he says of the current 400 applicants, they are only taking those who want asylum in Denmark, and are awaiting Sweden's view before passing on the others. He calls for a joint European policy and says that it will be discussed in Brussels on Monday.

Meanwhile, Spain has dropped its opposition to refugee quotas and said they're going to support Juncker.

• Options

So somebody who's pretty irrelevant has socked it to somebody no-one has heard of ?

Wake me up when something's happening.
  • Options

So somebody who's pretty irrelevant has socked it to somebody no-one has heard of ?

It's more I've started saying nice things about Tim Montgomerie.

A month ago that was as likely as you saying Osborne is the greatest Chancellor in history.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Dair said:

Tim_B said:

Huge? From what you 'know', what's the % of PS employment in Scotland versus the rUK?

• Options

Dair said:

Dair said:

Tim_B said:

#arcofausterity
    What is going on in Norn Iron? Does Dave need to appoint a new English Viceroy to control the natives?
    SEND OSBORNE

he'll fuck it up anyway but at least moving him gives the economy a chance.
  • Options

It's more I've started saying nice things about Tim Montgomerie.

A month ago that was as likely as you saying Osborne is the greatest Chancellor in history.
    If you're in ISIS he is.
  • Options

The classic one was the BA 747 that lost all its engines when it flew through a volcanic ash cloud:
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them going again. I trust you are not in too much distress.

Reminds me of Carry on Up the Khyber
  • Options

Dair said:

Dair said:

Tim_B said:

Ah the traditional whine of the unionists, everything good is because of Westminster and everything bad is because of Holyrood.

Fortunately we have facts to rely on rather than your prejudice and anti-Scottish rhetoric, the SNP maintained jobs and economic performance despite considerable feet dragging by Westminster and absolutely no effort on their part to help the Scottish economy.
  • Options

Tim_B said:

Dair said:

Tim_B said:

Huge? From what you 'know', what's the % of PS employment in Scotland versus the rUK?

Whatever government documents I read say that the public sector is larger in Scotland than in the rest of the UK, which is pretty damned big.

Here is an example.

http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefingsAndFactsheets/S3/SB_10-88.pdf

But the question wasn't the size of the public sector, it's about what in the Scottish economy - in the absence of oil production - is going gangbusters.

Nice attempt at diversion though.
  • Options
    edited September 2015

HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Not really, they can argue late swing, the new members, the purge, the shambles and missing ballots as why their last poll was at variance to the final result.
    No they cannot as by doing no late published polling they failed to pick up the late swing and reinforced their errors of the general election, they had already accounted for new members in their last survey and they could have always recontacted them to see if they had been purged, yougov have a lot riding on this as the only pollster of the electorate they have been the ones everyone has been following when they say Corbyn by a landslide. If they get this wrong as they got the general election wrong it could be near curtains!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Well what other reason could it be, otherwise yougov are having a very large and very risky punt on their last poll being right, and a lot of future contracts could depend on it
  • Options
    Dair said:

Dair said:

Dair said:

Tim_B said:

Ah the traditional whine of the unionists, everything good is because of Westminster and everything bad is because of Holyrood.

Fortunately we have facts to rely on rather than your prejudice and anti-Scottish rhetoric, the SNP maintained jobs and economic performance despite considerable feet dragging by Westminster and absolutely no effort on their part to help the Scottish economy.
    Ho hum

mindless
  • Options
    Good evening, everyone.

Be interesting to see if the media's saturation (and, in broadcast media, sympathetic) coverage of the migrant crisis will make people feel more kindly or more irritated.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

Tim_B said:

How did you screw that up? My post said that 12 folks needed first aid. You lost the 'aid'.

It was an engineering fault, that had nothing whatsoever to do with the pilot who performed his role in an exemplary fashion and got everyone out in one piece
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

"Britain must join migrant quota system, says Juncker":

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/

How can I put this delicately? Juncker can piss off.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Well what other reason could it be, otherwise yougov are having a very large and very risky punt on their last poll being right, and a lot of future contracts could depend on it
    Because no client commissioned them to do a poll that would be made public in the last month, and the only people that commissioned them asked for it to be done on a confidential basis.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,130
    I see Juncker said 'There is a lack of Europe in the EU'. Yes, yes there is, and that's ok, not every aspect of European life needs to be under the control of the EU, though you think otherwise Mr Juncker.
  • Options
    From the utterances from Merkel and Juncker over recent days and weeks, it seem pretty clear to me that they've both junked any serious attempts at renegotiation and concessions to keep the UK in the EU.
  • Options

Really? What about(ery) all the whataboutery about Saudi not taking any refugees? The camps are clearly there.
    To be fair, I'm not sure I am ready to share a tent (even a Saudi air-conditioned one) with Montgomerie just yet.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

I would have thought you'd love his intervention.

Makes Leave more likely.
  • Options
    Dair said:

Dair said:

Dair said:

Tim_B said:

The vast majority of the job creators in Scotland can be found within the 55% No voters, the 45ers are too often feckless non-contributors.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

AndyJS said:

He must be a "leave" plant. He must. He can't be so dull as to want to rub our noses in it. Can he????
  • Options
    Mr. Royale, quite.

Mr. kle4, it's the utopian idiocy of blind idealists. Keep drinking, lads, and we'll never get a hangover.

Currency crisis? More integration. Migrant crisis? More integration. It's the mindless refrain of a religious zealot.

Schengen is at the heart of the migrant crisis. The single currency is at the heart of the sovereign debt crisis. But they want more of that nonsense, not less. It's madness.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

Tim_B said:

It was an engineering fault, that had nothing whatsoever to do with the pilot who performed his role in an exemplary fashion and got everyone out in one piece
    If he'd got everyone out in one piece, the result would be one huge blob!

But at least you didn't quote a poll at me... ;)
  • Options
    edited September 2015

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Because no client commissioned them to do a poll that would be made public in the last month, and the only people that commissioned them asked for it to be done on a confidential basis.
    Surely if they have done their last 2 polls for the Times the Times would have commissioned one, or they could have published one on their website for everyone to see, so that they could ensure their final published poll left nothing to chance. Otherwise they are taking a huge risk, if Corbyn does not win and win big yougov will have egg on its face yet again and Murdoch for one will likely not commission them again
  • Options
    welshowl said:

AndyJS said:

He must be a "leave" plant. He must. He can't be so dull as to want to rub our noses in it. Can he????

Juncker thinks we won't dare do it, but I think we will.

It's the invasion of Poland all over again.

• Options

Mr. Royale, quite.

Mr. kle4, it's the utopian idiocy of blind idealists. Keep drinking, lads, and we'll never get a hangover.

Currency crisis? More integration. Migrant crisis? More integration. It's the mindless refrain of a religious zealot.

Schengen is at the heart of the migrant crisis. The single currency is at the heart of the sovereign debt crisis. But they want more of that nonsense, not less. It's madness.

Actually on the single currency he's right. It is bat shit crazy to have a currency union without a political union

(Not that I'm a supporter of a single currency)
  • Options

Dair said:

Dair said:

Dair said:

Tim_B said:

The vast majority of the job creators in Scotland can be found within the 55% No voters, the 45ers are too often feckless non-contributors.
    I thought hte vast majority of job creators in Scotland leave and create jobs in other countries ?

#lazynats
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Like Britain told him to piss off over paying him the £1.7bn surcharge?
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Makes Leave more likely.
    But as an "Inner" don't you find these sorts of interventions utterly infuriating?

Politics aside, I detest foreign statesman dictating to us what we should do with our own domestic policy coupled with the arrogant air that they are entitled to do so.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Surely if they have done their last 2 polls for the Times the Times would have commissioned one, or they could have published one on their website for everyone to see, so that they could ensure their final published poll left nothing to chance. Otherwise they are taking a huge risk, if Corbyn does not win and win big yougov will have egg on its face yet again and Murdoch for one will likely not commission them again
    You seem to be under the misapprehension that polling is cheap.

In 2010 leadership election News International only commissioned two polls. The same number as time.

Plus is a client insists on the polling kept confidential, YouGov like all pollsters will adhere to that.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I see Juncker said 'There is a lack of Europe in the EU'. Yes, yes there is, and that's ok, not every aspect of European life needs to be under the control of the EU, though you think otherwise Mr Juncker.

Nice to see he's falling back on the tried and tested "more Europe" approach. The EU elites have learn nothing and forgotten nothing.

Another thing Cameron got right: trying to block Juncker.

He failed at that too. Perhaps that was a warning sign.
  • Options

Dair said:

Dair said:

Dair said:

Tim_B said:

So by your logic Michelle Mone must have been a Yes voter and Jim McColl voted No?

Bit of a problem you have with that.
  • Options
    edited September 2015

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

In 2010 leadership election News International only commissioned two polls. The same number as time.

Plus is a client insists on the polling kept confidential, YouGov like all pollsters will adhere to that.
    Well they have already run two polls, and anyway Murdoch is a multibillionaire who subsidises the Times (which often makes a loss) because of the kudos of owning the establishment paper in the UK, if he wanted another poll there would be another poll. Regardless of confidentiality or not yougov could do its own poll even if not commissioned, as nothing will be more costly than the shredding of its reputation to pieces if Cooper or Burnham edge home
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Makes Leave more likely.
    But as an "Inner" don't you find these sorts of interventions utterly infuriating?

Politics aside, I detest foreign statesman dictating to us what we should do with our own domestic policy coupled with the arrogant air that they are entitled to do so.
    Infuriating yes, but I know the likes of Farage will equally make interventions that will infuriate you during the referendum campaign. Such as when people ask him about trade he'll go on about HIV positive people.

On Juncker, he's from a country that's surrounded by France, Belgium and Germany. Like the country, dude's got issues from having such neighbours.

I thank the lord every day that there's a Channel separating England and France.

Can you imagine what it would be like if we had a border with France and the French could just wander over :lol:
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,130

AndyJS said:

Makes Leave more likely.

I suspect to them the idea of allowing people to have national policies is repugnant. You accept the will of the majority of Europe, and you had better like it too, as they moan about our, well, moaning about things even when we do accept the will.
  • Options

Mr. Royale, quite.

Actually on the single currency he's right. It is bat shit crazy to have a currency union without a political union

So, let me just explore that with you, if I may: if Cameron fails to get protection for the UK from a more closely integrated political union for the eurozone states, would you consider Leave?
  • Options
    Dair said:

Dair said:

Dair said:

Dair said:

Tim_B said:

So by your logic Michelle Mone must have been a Yes voter and Jim McColl voted No?

Jim McColl - a bloke who lives in Monaco

Hoots bonjour monsieur.
  • Options
    Dair said:

Dair said:

Dair said:

Dair said:

Tim_B said:

Could Monaco based tax exile Jim McColl vote in the once-in-a-lifetime Scottish referendum?
  • Options
    edited September 2015

Mr. Royale, quite.

So, let me just explore that with you, if I may: if Cameron fails to get protection for the UK from a more closely integrated political union for the eurozone states, would you consider Leave?
    Yup, also if he fails to get protection for the City of London and the Financial Services Industry
  • Options
    Dair said:

AndyJS said:

No, it only works one-way. That's why I want to Leave.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Dair said:

AndyJS said:

Never mind eh? The English are taking us out soon enough.
  • Options

Dair said:

Dair said:

Dair said:

Dair said:

Tim_B said:

Could Monaco based tax exile Jim McColl vote in the once-in-a-lifetime Scottish referendum?
    deux haggis et un plateau de neeps sil vous plait.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

AndyJS said:

I can only conclude he thinks we're all fart, no follow-through.

But, oh boy, can we follow-through if we want to.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    edited September 2015

Dair said:

Dair said:

Dair said:

Dair said:

Tim_B said:

Jim McColl - a bloke who lives in Monaco

Hoots bonjour monsieur.
    There's a moose, loose, about la maison.
  • Options

Dair said:

Dair said:

Dair said:

Dair said:

Tim_B said:

Of course he can, he lives in Glasgow as well.

There is no evidence he does not pay UK tax.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, and who voted for a country called Europe?

I'm sure the Greeks will welcome whatever governor the great leaders from Brussels (or Berlin) send to govern them.
  • Options

Mr. Royale, quite.

Yup, also if he fails to get protection for the City of London and the Financial Services Industry
    Thanks for your honesty.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Well they have already run two polls, and anyway Murdoch is a multibillionaire who subsidises the Times (which often makes a loss) because of the kudos of owning the establishment paper in the UK, if he wanted another poll there would be another poll. Regardless of confidentiality or not yougov could do its own poll even if not commissioned, as nothing will be more costly than the shredding of its reputation to pieces if Cooper or Burnham edge home
    Again no. He paid for two in 2010 and so far he's paid for two this time around.

Plus Peter Kellner covered YouGov's arse a few weeks ago.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited September 2015
    Dair said:

Omnium said:

I'm not a believer in God, or a great fan of the Monarchy. Nevertheless you feel you want to say 'God save the Queen' on a day like this. What an amazing reign she's had.

The idea of celebrating Britain's most successful Benefits Scrounger, paying homage to a person based on their birth or continuing such an archaic, worthless tradition fills me with disgust.
    You are being a bit rude about Nicola. She probably is nicer about you.
  • Options
    Dair said:

Dair said:

Dair said:

Dair said:

Dair said:

Tim_B said:

Of course he can, he lives in Glasgow as well.

There is no evidence he does not pay UK tax.
    Amazingly stupid statement.

If you ever ate a turnip it would be cannibalism.
  • Options
    Mr. Royale, we shall see.

In remains firm favourite, in my mind, to win.

Today's hot tempers will have long since cooled. The left, threatening rebellion over Greece's treatment, will meekly back down, and many in the centre and on the right will be fearful of what happens if we leave.

It'll take a lot for Out to win.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,408
    edited September 2015
    Tim_B said:

Whatever government documents I read say that the public sector is larger in Scotland than in the rest of the UK, which is pretty damned big.

Here is an example.

http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefingsAndFactsheets/S3/SB_10-88.pdf

But the question wasn't the size of the public sector, it's about what in the Scottish economy - in the absence of oil production - is going gangbusters.

Ah, so belief based on no actual knowledge, always good to get that clarified.

Since you think the question is about what in the Scottish economy is going gangbusters, you can now add to your sparsely populated knowledge bank that Scottish employment has gone up while PS and oil sector employment has gone down.

'Public Sector Employment
    Last update: Wednesday 17th June 2015

There were 2,615,000 people employed in Scotland in Q1 2015, an increase of 58,400 (+2.3%) over the year.
    In Q1 2015, there were 546,800 people employed in the public sector in Scotland, a decrease of 1,000 (-0.2%) since Q1 2014.This level is 1,300 (+0.2%) higher than in 1999, when the series began.In Q1 2015, public sector employment accounted for 20.9% of total employment, down from 21.4% in the previous year.'

http://tinyurl.com/p967mcw
  • Options
    edited September 2015

Mr. Royale, quite.

Thanks for your honesty.
    I said to you a few months ago, if you were going to persuade me to vote to leave, you/Leave had to persuade me that it was in the UK's economic and financial interests to do so.

I'm not going to persuaded by the Blood & Soil culture wars that some Outers don't stop banging on about.

That position will not change (unless France says they want us to leave, then I'm voting to remain no matter just to get up their noses)
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Makes Leave more likely.

Infuriating yes, but I know the likes of Farage will equally make interventions that will infuriate you during the referendum campaign. Such as when people ask him about trade he'll go on about HIV positive people.

On Juncker, he's from a country that's surrounded by France, Belgium and Germany. Like the country, dude's got issues from having such neighbours.

I thank the lord every day that there's a Channel separating England and France.

Can you imagine what it would be like if we had a border with France and the French could just wander over :lol:
    That's true. I'm sure the BBC will help ensure Farage doesn't colour the whole of the Leave campaign though.

The Channel is everything.
  • Options
    Miss Plato, that's quite the front page.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, and who voted for a country called Europe?

I'm sure the Greeks will welcome whatever governor the great leaders from Brussels (or Berlin) send to govern them.

How can you not love a country that has Ode to Joy as its anthem?
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
  • Options
    kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

Makes Leave more likely.

I suspect to them the idea of allowing people to have national policies is repugnant. You accept the will of the majority of Europe, and you had better like it too, as they moan about our, well, moaning about things even when we do accept the will.
    Not even that: just the will of the ruling EU elites.

In EU parliamentary elections, time after time, the majority people of the EU have made it perfectly clear what they think of them.
  • Options
    edited September 2015

Dair said:

Omnium said:

I'm not a believer in God, or a great fan of the Monarchy. Nevertheless you feel you want to say 'God save the Queen' on a day like this. What an amazing reign she's had.

The idea of celebrating Britain's most successful Benefits Scrounger, paying homage to a person based on their birth or continuing such an archaic, worthless tradition fills me with disgust.
    A woman who has dedicated 60+ years of her life to a job she did not ask to do without complaint and without putting barely a foot wrong and who still has higher approval ratings than any politician in the UK, including Sturgeon
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474

Tim_B said:

Dair said:

Tim_B said:

cheap whisky and Irn Bru
    Don't forget shortbread. Though they'll have to sell a bazillion extra tins of the stuff to make up the loss in oil revenues.
  • Options

Tim_B said:

Here is an example.

Ah, so belief based on no actual knowledge, always good to get that clarified.

Since you think the question is about what in the Scottish economy is going gangbusters, you can now add to your sparsely populated knowledge bank that Scottish employment has gone up while PS and oil sector employment has gone down.

'Public Sector Employment
    Last update: Wednesday 17th June 2015

There were 2,615,000 people employed in Scotland in Q1 2015, an increase of 58,400 (+2.3%) over the year.
    In Q1 2015, there were 546,800 people employed in the public sector in Scotland, a decrease of 1,000 (-0.2%) since Q1 2014.This level is 1,300 (+0.2%) higher than in 1999, when the series began.In Q1 2015, public sector employment accounted for 20.9% of total employment, down from 21.4% in the previous year.'

http://tinyurl.com/p967mcw
    Why are you being so hostile? It was a simple question, and I have no axe to grind.

My wife is from Glasgow and her sister still lives there.
  • Options

Mr. Royale, quite.

Thanks for your honesty.
    I said to you a few months ago, if you were going to persuade me to vote to leave, you/Leave had to persuade me that it was in the UK's economic and financial interests to do so.

I'm not going to persuaded by the Blood & Soil culture wars that some Outers don't stop banging on about.

That position will not change (unless France says they want us to leave, then I'm voting to remain no matter just to get up their noses)
    Ha. Fair enough. I suspect most floating, or swayable, voters are in a similar place to you.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Again no. He paid for two in 2010 and so far he's paid for two this time around.

Plus Peter Kellner covered YouGov's arse a few weeks ago.
    The last poll in 2010 was carried out later than this one and even that was too early and failed to get the members right. Kellner has not covered his arse at all, if he gets this one wrong after getting the general election wrong his career is over
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, we're talking about the EU, not Die Hard Land.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    Plato said:
    There were arrests in Bulgaria last week of terrorist refugees weren't there?

This is obviously going to happen, I'm sure there can't be anyone on here that doubts it
  • Options
    edited September 2015

Mr. Royale, quite.

Thanks for your honesty.

Ha. Fair enough. I suspect most floating, or swayable, voters are in a similar place to you.
    One of the pieces I'm hoping to publish next week is the game changer for the referendum.

Cameron recommending out. I still think that's a possibility.

That could push the swayable voters to Out.

PS - Re looking at my comment, I hope you realise I don't count you as one of the Blood and Soil Culture War Outers.
  • Options

Mr. Royale, we shall see.

In remains firm favourite, in my mind, to win.

Today's hot tempers will have long since cooled. The left, threatening rebellion over Greece's treatment, will meekly back down, and many in the centre and on the right will be fearful of what happens if we leave.

It'll take a lot for Out to win.

But we Brits aren't easily frightened either. Most older voters (and it will be older voters who mainly vote) will remember that the UK managed to exist perfectly well prior to 1973.

Personally, I think the deal-breaker would be a very lukewarm or "meh" response from Cameron on his vote recommendation. I can't see him formally recommending a "leave" vote. But, if he did..
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, we're talking about the EU, not Die Hard Land.

Perhaps we should be more like Die Hard land.

Yippee Kay EU [redacted words]
  • Options
    Mr. Royale, if Cameron recommended Out, following his stance on the migrant crisis and the drone strike, and if he won the vote, he'd be the reincarnation of Thatcher.

I'm surprised, and pleased, by his robust stance on the migrant crisis and the drone strike. Still baffled by how many people are supine on the former and wibbling on the latter.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

Evening all.

BBC - Denmark has suspended all rail links with Germany after police stopped hundreds of migrants at the border. - Danish police also closed a motorway between the two countries when some asylum seekers began walking north after being forced off a train.

They say their destination is Sweden.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-34203366

I am presently up in Esbjerg in Denmark and need to go to Hamburg tomorrow. I looked at trains but have hired a car to do it as the rail links were looking iffy at best. It now looks like I may have issues on the autobahn as well then.

Oh dear...
    Bugger... That's the precise route I'm driving. This is going to be interesting.
    Live posts please... :)
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, "You're a common bureaucrat, Juncker."
    "I am an extraordinary bureaucrat!"

Mr. Moses, best of luck.
  • Options

Mr. Royale, quite.

Thanks for your honesty.

One of the pieces I'm hoping to publish next week is the game changer for the referendum.

Cameron recommending out. I still think that's a possibility.

That could push the swayable voters to Out.

PS - Re looking at my comment, I hope you realise I don't count you as one of the Blood and Soil Culture War Outers.
    Thanks TSE.

Yes, I agree: if Cameron announced the EU renegotiations had failed, and recommended an alternative plan to protect UK interests and safeguard international relationships, for the long-term, was now the better option - which might include a withdrawal roadmap to a negotiated EFTA+ status - I think he'd get 75% of Conservatives, 90% of UKIP, 20% of Lib Dems and 35% of Labour voters behind it.

That should be enough.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,052
    edited September 2015
    It must be a pretty grim place being in your head seeing the world as you do Isam.

You know the vast majority of people are rather sweet, law abiding, optimistic and hopeful....then you enter into the dark, ghastly, underworld of the...UKIP.....be scared, be very scared...they're out to get you.......
    isam said:

Plato said:
    There were arrests in Bulgaria last week of terrorist refugees weren't there?

This is obviously going to happen, I'm sure there can't be anyone on here that doubts it
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Dair said:

Omnium said:

A woman who has dedicated 60+ years of her life to a job she did not ask to do without complaint and without putting barely a foot wrong and who still has higher approval ratings than any politician in the UK, including Sturgeon
    "Dedicated"? You are a loon.

Dedicated is not how you describe a few hours "work" a week in return for 10s of millions of pounds in state hand outs each year, the provision of multiple, massive state housing, a personal, publicly funded police service, the ability to nominate close relatives for similarly generous state hand outs, etc, etc.

There are millions in this country who would quite happily do this job and they would likely accept far less in terms of money and state housing to do it. Most would also likely retire at a reasonable age as well, instead of clinging on into their senile dotage.
  • Options
    I voted Yes in the last referendum, which was for the then EEC.

If I had a vote today, I would vote for the UK to leave the EU.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,052
    Thanks for enlightening us all
    Tim_B said:

I voted Yes in the last referendum, which was for the then EEC.

If I had a vote today, I would vote for the UK to leave the EU.

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

I was flying from New York to Stockholm when the Eijos... Icelandic volcano blew up.

Woke up over Netherlands. Bit out of the way, thought I.

Cue announcement from the pilot:

"We're over the Netherlands. That's a bit further than we planned to fly. But don't worry. We should have enough fuel to get there"
  • Options

Mr. Royale, if Cameron recommended Out, following his stance on the migrant crisis and the drone strike, and if he won the vote, he'd be the reincarnation of Thatcher.

I'm surprised, and pleased, by his robust stance on the migrant crisis and the drone strike. Still baffled by how many people are supine on the former and wibbling on the latter.

I've said before (or have I?) that if Cameron did take the UK out of the EU, he'd go down in history as one of the greatest Conservative leaders of all time.

I'm talking at a par with Thatcher, if not greater. Members would be idolising and worshipping him for decades. Yes, I'm serious.

As legacies go, that must be tempting.