Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Needed: a Geneva Convention for the 21st Century

SystemSystem Posts: 11,698
edited September 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Needed: a Geneva Convention for the 21st Century

My wife and I were recently watching the excellent More4 drama series Saboteurs, about the Nazi effort to build an atomic bomb and the Allied operations to stop them, principally by putting the Norwegian factory producing the heavy water needed for the atomic reactor out of action.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    First.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Ha! I could have been first but being a public-spirited sort of chap I went back to tell the others.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Will Isis sing up to this new Geneva convention once it's written ?

More handwringing.
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656

Ha! I could have been first but being a public-spirited sort of chap I went back to tell the others.

What is the advantage of being first? Is there some sort of competition where you win a prize for getting more than others?
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    I don't quite get what brutally killing these two stupid ideologues achieves apart from a very short feel good factor within the Sun. It's not a deterrent, it provides succour to our enemies,it draws us closer into a conflict with no easy endgame, it loses any kind of little moral superiority that we might have had before, it makes the UK seem incredibly callous and crude with our neighbours, it blurs any kind of legitimacy, it probably makes us more of a target to terrorism and it encourages others to take arms against us

The sooner Dave goes on his merry way the better. It must be quite nice tho have some kind of political leadership one could trust. Quite where that comes from in the UK in this day and age god only knows.
    TGOHF said:

More handwringing.

• Options
    @Dair

I remember five years ago now, Podolski missed a penalty for Germany, and Mark Lawrenson claimed that he'd missed it because he wasn't a 'proper German.' *rolleyes*
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Finally an article that expresses my concerns (and Corbyn's) about the drone strikes.
  • Options
    JEO said:

What is the advantage of being first? Is there some sort of competition where you win a prize for getting more than others?
    Of course. Did you not get a copy of The Rules?

• Options
    Ordering a " hit " used to be associated with mafia dons, now Western leaders seem to brag about issuing such orders. Depressing.
  • Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897
    "There is no such thing as a politically correct war." - Ben Carson
  • Options
    @tyson The trouble is, when Cameron leaves....Osborne is his successor. Cameron at least come across as somewhat moderate. Osborne will make Thatcher look like Ken Clarke.
  • Options
    On topic, for once:

On a previous thread someone, I think it was Innocent_Abroad, suggested that in cases like the one we have just seen when the general rules of war cannot apply then those that govern policing should. I am not sure he is not correct, however, he may not have thought his position through.

It has long been a point in English law that in order to prevent a crime then it is permissible for the state, or an individual, to use such force as is reasonably necessary but no more force than that. Therefore, do we need to get into all this discussion about obscure points of international law and trying to put together a new Geneva convention? I suggest that Mr. Herdson is hand-wringing unnecessarily.

We have a settled law on the use of force and if someone feels aggrieved by the state's action in this case they may bring an action in the courts.

Going off on a tangent, will their be a coroner's inquest into our two late citizens? I am not sure where the law stands with this. We have to have an inquest if a squaddie gets killed in action by an enemy, and if a Brit drowns whilst swimming pissed on holiday. What does the law say about the death of a Brit killed by HMG. I would have thought an inquest would be necessary but I don't know, perhaps our lawyers can advise.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

More handwringing.

It's to regulate behaviour for responsible law abiding states, barbarians need not apply but can still be bombed if the law allows even if they do not subscribe to it.
  • Options
    Moniker- finally. I never thought the moment would arrive when our two opposing courses would meet so seamlessly.

At least when Mafia Dons did it, I doubted they bragged about it in the papers to prove their virility.

Ordering a " hit " used to be associated with mafia dons, now Western leaders seem to brag about issuing such orders. Depressing.

• Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,924
    tyson said:

I don't quite get what brutally killing these two stupid ideologues achieves apart from a very short feel good factor within the Sun. It's not a deterrent, it provides succour to our enemies,it draws us closer into a conflict with no easy endgame, it loses any kind of little moral superiority that we might have had before, it makes the UK seem incredibly callous and crude with our neighbours, it blurs any kind of legitimacy, it probably makes us more of a target to terrorism and it encourages others to take arms against us

The objective of the armed forces is to kill the enemies of the state. Not "negotiate with", "reason with", or "help", but "kill". ISIS are using appalling violence and are outside the normal legal procedure: they are non-state actors acing outside any jurisdiction we recognise. Normal legal processes are not available so armed force involvement is the only method left. Cameron is legally in the right here. I would argue also morally, although that is not relevant.

• Options
    JEO said:

You mean you don't know about the prizes? Gosh, well if you don't you probably don't for a reason and I am not sure I can tell you. You'll have to ask one of the grown-ups, like TSE.
  • Options
    Pauly said:

Have we reached the point when we compare Cameron with a GOP right wing presidential candidate?
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

@tyson The trouble is, when Cameron leaves....Osborne is his successor. Cameron at least come across as somewhat moderate. Osborne will make Thatcher look like Ken Clarke.

Nonsense. Cameron and Osborne are essentially identical in their political perspectives. If anything Osborne is even more centrist.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Pauly said:

Have we reached the point when we compare Cameron with a GOP right wing presidential candidate?
    Try playing the point instead of the man. You might find it more helpful.
  • Options

Miss, don't worry your, undoubtedly pretty, little head about Osborne (about whom you're wrong by the way - he is no Thatcher). Trust me on this, he will never take the Conservative leadership. Get down to the bookies and put your next term's grant on Liz Truss and Sajid Javid, with the emphasis on the latter.

When you are lolling around in luxury from your winnings you can throw me a small bone or at least a bottle of something nice.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,196
    I don't pretend to know the ins and outs of the situation in Syria, but I think our government is in a tough position and I don't envy their job. In an ideal world the big powers would all agree on what should be done and we'd do it with the backing of the UN. But that isn't the situation.

Were the killings legal? I don't know, but I certainly have no sympathy for two men killed. Will it make any difference to the situation? If the security services thought that there was a genuine threat from these two and they thought it best to take them out now before they could return to Britain, then perhaps it has helped. But it probably won't make much difference to the situation in Syria.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Mr Herdson, are you aware of the Additional Protocols to the Geneva Conventions? They go some way to dealing with the new type of conflict, laying down basic principles on the protection of civilians and the conduct of war, but we do need more specifics on dealing with drone warfare and, perhaps, terrorism in general.

PS, putting the pedant hat on, it is international humanitarian law, not human rights law, which deals with the rules of armed conflict.

• Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited September 2015

Osborne is more of a wet than Cameron.

The odds on Sajid Javid are tempting. Can still get 12/1 at Hills.
  • Options
    Do you really think this act is really going to help defend us in any way? At all? One iota? If you do, I feel a bit sorry for you.

Perhaps we should go whacking any potentials living in the UK. They are nearer to our homes. Hell we don't even need the expense of drones.
    viewcode said:

tyson said:

The objective of the armed forces is to kill the enemies of the state. Not "negotiate with", "reason with", or "help", but "kill". ISIS are using appalling violence and are outside the normal legal procedure: they are non-state actors acing outside any jurisdiction we recognise. Normal legal processes are not available so armed force involvement is the only method left. Cameron is legally in the right here. I would argue also morally, although that is not relevant.

• Options
    tyson said:

Do you really think this act is really going to help defend us in any way? At all? One iota? If you do, I feel a bit sorry for you.

Perhaps we should go whacking any potentials living in the UK. They are nearer to our homes. Hell we don't even need the expense of drones.

viewcode said:

tyson said:

Since you obviously didn't even listen to Cam's statement in the H/C I don't feel sorry for you.
  • Options
    This is a bizarre 2016 news item for HYUFD, Richard Nixon endorses Trump for President:

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/641256476087074816
  • Options
    What it is about the Left? They wouldn't have bothered containing their glee if George W Bush had been assassinated, yet they wallow in pompous indignation when a couple of volunteer jihadist psychopaths get themselves pinged in a war zone. Sorry, but those goons could have been this close to waving a Kalashnikov around the Cenotaph. Jurisprudential debating points would have sounded a little thin.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,954
    A drone strike against a jihadist fighting for ISIL and planning attacks against the UK may well be justified, even when in another country, but what hoops should be jumped through first to be sure?

This is, I think, a reasonable question. Not necessarily to tie the hands of governments taking what may be necessary, proportionate or reasonable actions in defence of the realm, but merely to quantify what questions the government is required to ask of itself, and what level of information is required. It may be in this instance the government asked more and required more than we think they need to, that maybe the rules it sets for itself should be looser, but it's be interesting to know what hoops should be jumped through, vs what hoops are currently jumped through - is it too many or not enough?

The vast majority won't care in this instance certainly, but best to have a clear framework of what the steps are for the first time innocent people get caught in one of these blasts, so while it will not stop complaints, it will be clear at what level the government considered matters before pulling the trigger and therefore the inherent reasonableness even though we will never know the full details.
  • Options
    @felix and @MP_SE On certain social issues, for example abortion - yes, Osborne is more socially liberal than Cameron. However I get the impression that Osborne is even more ideologically committed to the idea of a small-state, and private intervention in public services than Cameron is.
    @HurstLlama My mum would probably kill me if I bet more than a £1000 on the Conservative party leadership! I get why you'd recommend putting money on Sajid Javid, but Liz Truss?! And out of interest, why do you reckon Osborne won't take the leadership?
  • Options
    edited September 2015

What it is about the Left? They wouldn't have bothered containing their glee if George W Bush had been assassinated, yet they wallow in pompous indignation when a couple of volunteer jihadist psychopaths get themselves pinged in a war zone. Sorry, but those goons could have been this close to waving a Kalashnikov around the Cenotaph. Jurisprudential debating points would have sounded a little thin.

They had to get here with their kalashnikovs first, remember?
    Though that's not such a problem with the governments and the EU's current immigration policies.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

Osborne is more of a wet than Cameron.

The odds on Sajid Javid are tempting. Can still get 12/1 at Hills.
    It has been argued that one of Cameron's strengths is that he appears moderate even when he very much is not. That may be disputed, but it may be the reverse can be the case, in that someone moderate just naturally appears less so, as indeed someone not very left wing just gets labelled as very left wing sometimes.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

A drone strike against a jihadist fighting for ISIL and planning attacks against the UK may well be justified, even when in another country, but what hoops should be jumped through first to be sure?

This is, I think, a reasonable question. Not necessarily to tie the hands of governments taking what may be necessary, proportionate or reasonable actions in defence of the realm, but merely to quantify what questions the government is required to ask of itself, and what level of information is required. It may be in this instance the government asked more and required more than we think they need to, that maybe the rules it sets for itself should be looser, but it's be interesting to know what hoops should be jumped through, vs what hoops are currently jumped through - is it too many or not enough?

The vast majority won't care in this instance certainly, but best to have a clear framework of what the steps are for the first time innocent people get caught in one of these blasts, so while it will not stop complaints, it will be clear at what level the government considered matters before pulling the trigger and therefore the inherent reasonableness even though we will never know the full details.

What hoops does a copper have to jump through before he pulls the trigger? The same standard applies. There is no need for all this nonsense and if pursued it will lead to paralysis when action is needed.
  • Options
    tyson said:

viewcode said:

tyson said:

We have normal routes (i.e. arrest) to get the terrorists in our country. For obvious reasons, those routes are not available whilst they are in Syria.

As for cost: I'm guessing that one of Reapers was used, an updated version of the Predator. According to Wiki, these cost around $17 million each.

However the Reaper would have been reusable, and the staff employed anyway. Therefore it's a question of the consumables, and that means what type of weapon was used. Again guessing, it might have been a Hellfire ground-to-air missile. These apparently cost a little over $100,000 each. (*)

So $100,000 dollars to rid the world of these terrorists. Knowing the fact the Yanks try to get their money's worth out of export sales, and the UK's inability to get good deals, then the unit costs are probably a fair bit more. Add in the legal costs here in the UK and we might be talking a million or two.

I'll leave it to readers to decide if it was a horrific waste of money, or a cheap way to rid the world of two traitorous terrorists.

(*) I'd appreciate if anyone's got any more public-domain information.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

This is a bizarre 2016 news item for HYUFD, Richard Nixon endorses Trump for President:

The letter is from 1987. The New York Times always makes factual errors, it's a terrible newspaper- boring, sanctimonious and shoddy.
  • Options

kle4 said:

What hoops does a copper have to jump through before he pulls the trigger? The same standard applies. There is no need for all this nonsense and if pursued it will lead to paralysis when action is needed.
    Well lets go through what the police need in order to kill a suspect with what the government did with it's drone strike and compare them.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    MTimT said:

Mr Herdson, are you aware of the Additional Protocols to the Geneva Conventions? They go some way to dealing with the new type of conflict, laying down basic principles on the protection of civilians and the conduct of war, but we do need more specifics on dealing with drone warfare and, perhaps, terrorism in general.

PS, putting the pedant hat on, it is international humanitarian law, not human rights law, which deals with the rules of armed conflict.

As a matter of interest, do you know whether international law puts any onus on a person's home state to prevent him or her committing murder/atrocities? Or does it focus merely on the rights of the person so doing?
  • Options
    Speedy said:

kle4 said:

Well lets go through what the police need in order to kill a suspect with what the government did with it's drone strike and compare them.
    I did that in an earlier post. The law is settled and hasn't changed for decades if not longer.
  • Options

kle4 said:

My point was that the government undoubtedly ran through some number of hoops in taking the action it took - I'm not currently arguing for more or less, but that a discussion on how many is appropriate would be a good thing at some point. It may well be that government thinks, and the public agrees, that the government should be have to run through even less hoops than it did on this occasion.
  • Options
    Does anyone else think that the headline on the Sun is utterly appalling in every conceivable way?
  • Options
    Aussie run rate up over 15 per over, with no wickets in hand.
  • Options
    tyson said:

Does anyone else think that the headline on the Sun is utterly appalling in every conceivable way?

Well, yes, possibly, but it's the Sun, they specialize in such headlines and they are perfectly entitled to use them. If enough people are suitably offended by it they will stop buying the paper and the Sun will stop doing such things.
  • Options
    tyson said:

The whole front page, including the headline, is obscene.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

My point was that the government undoubtedly ran through some number of hoops in taking the action it took - I'm not currently arguing for more or less, but that a discussion on how many is appropriate would be a good thing at some point. It may well be that government thinks, and the public agrees, that the government should be have to run through even less hoops than it did on this occasion.
    Mr. 4, if an agent of the State in the shape of a constable can shoot someone in order to prevent a crime taking place, which in law they can, then surely, in the absence of a state of war, the same criteria must apply to any other agent of the state. And, for that matter, the same remedies must exist for someone who feels they have been wronged. I really struggle to see what the fuss is about when it comes to process.

Incidentally, nobody has yet addressed my question as to whether the "Cardiff Two" will be accorded an inquest.
  • Options
    tyson said:

Why don't you pop over to Syria and apologize to ISIS, in person, on The Sun's behalf?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,196
    tyson said:

Not as appalling as the two people killed. The media has spent the best part of two weeks grandstanding on the migrant crisis and these two men were very much contributing to situation in Syria. Perhaps the front page of the Sun was unnecessary - and maybe un-British - but it is just a newspaper.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

MTimT said:

As a matter of interest, do you know whether international law puts any onus on a person's home state to prevent him or her committing murder/atrocities? Or does it focus merely on the rights of the person so doing?
    International law in general sets up obligations between States Parties. Therefore, the law affects States not individuals. It is usually up to States to then pass national enabling legislation to give force to international law upon persons (natural and legal) within their jurisdiction and control. Some countries have their legal system set up so this happens automatically, but that is usually at the expense of effective enforcement.

The Additional Protocols were the first attempt to deal with non-international armed conflict (civil and 'dirty' wars).

In addition, the UN Security Council has passed at least one resolution acting under Chapter VII of the UN Charter (so it has binding legal force on all UN members) requiring member states to pass national legislation with regards to obligations upon its citizens [UNSCR 1540 (2004) with regards to wmd terrorism, to ensure that the obligation not the acquire, develop, produce, retain, transfer, use etc WMD, or aid others in doing so, is also enforced for all persons natural and legal].
  • Options
    tyson said:

Yes.
  • Options
    edited September 2015

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

This is, I think, a reasonable question. Not necessarot enough?

The vast majority wull details.

What .
    Mr. 4, if an agent of the State in the shape of a constable can shoot someone in order to prevent a crime taking place, which in law they can, then surely, in the absence of a state of war, the same criteria must apply to any other agent of the state. And, for that matter, the same remedies must exist for someone who feels they have been wronged. I really struggle to see what the fuss is about when it comes to process.
    I struggle to see what the fuss is about with trying to make sure the process is as clear as possible, even if in hindsight as it is not as though these things can be debated in public beforehand. Virtually no-one is saying the government shouldn't be able to take this action, and even in your example the constable has to base their decision on something, and I'm sure the government's actions were based on something too (beyond merely their being members of IS, which we might well feel is enough on its own - in which case let us make that clear too). I hope that somewhere is written down what criteria they have to use is all, so that even if they decide to take specific legal advice each time, we don't have to have a debate like this every time it happens, as the process is accepted as reasonable.

Seriously, what is the fuss with making sure a process is reasonable, particularly when people are going out of their way to say they aren't trying to prevent this type of action necessarily, and indeed may think the government needs a freer hand?

Making sure the process is correct goes a long way to ensuring the possibility of inconsistent, personal cock ups occur less.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    viewcode said:

tyson said:

I think Patton summed it up quite well.

"The principle of warfare is not for you to die for your country it's to make the other poor dumb bastard die for his country"
  • Options

Remember the left partying when Maggie died ? Now they have crocodile tears for a chap planning to murder at a rememberance day parade.
  • Options
    I spent this afternoon reading about Churchill- I couldn't help but think where is the Churchill for today?

You know Churchill walked out on Stalin at the Tehran conference when Stalin boasted about killing Nazis. Churchill said that without law there was no point discussing anything further.

tyson said:

• Options
    edited September 2015
    MTimT said:

AnneJGP said:

MTimT said:

International law in general sets up obligations between States Parties. Therefore, the law affects States not individuals. It is usually up to States to then pass national enabling legislation to give force to international law upon persons (natural and legal) within their jurisdiction and control. Some countries have their legal system set up so this happens automatically, but that is usually at the expense of effective enforcement.

The Additional Protocols were the first attempt to deal with non-international armed conflict (civil and 'dirty' wars).

In addition, the UN Security Council has passed at least one resolution acting under Chapter VII of the UN Charter (so it has binding legal force on all UN members) requiring member states to pass national legislation with regards to obligations upon its citizens [UNSCR 1540 (2004) with regards to wmd terrorism, to ensure that the obligation not the acquire, develop, produce, retain, transfer, use etc WMD, or aid others in doing so, is also enforced for all persons natural and legal].
    Many thanks. So provided a person doesn't use weapons of mass destruction, the home state has no obligations? I mean, for example, there are no obligations to stop people who are known to be active radicalisers from continuing to radicalise?

Edited to add: not yet, anyway.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

What .
    I struggle to see what the fuss is about with trying to make sure the process is as clear as possible, even if in hindsight as it is not as though these things can be debated in public beforehand. Virtually no-one is saying the government shouldn't be able to take this action, and even in your example the constable has to base their decision on something, and I'm sure the government's actions were based on something too (beyond merely their being members of IS, which we might well feel is enough on its own - in which case let us make that clear too). I hope that somewhere is written down what criteria they have to use is all, so that even if they decide to take specific legal advice each time, we don't have to have a debate like this every time it happens, as the process is accepted as reasonable.

Seriously, what is the fuss with making sure a process is reasonable, particularly when people are going out of their way to say they aren't trying to prevent this type of action necessarily, and indeed may think the government needs a freer hand?

Making sure the process is correct goes a long way to ensuring the possibility of inconsistent, personal cock ups occur less.
    What is needed is already written down, Mr. 4. That's the point I am trying to make. The law is clear and settled. To come up with some ghastly tick-box system carries not only the grave danger of what you seek to avoid but also, as I have said before, paralysis when action is needed.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,114

Speedy said:

The letter is from 1987. The New York Times always makes factual errors, it's a terrible newspaper- boring, sanctimonious and shoddy.
    Yes, interesting. Trump seems to have got his most high profile endorsement yet, but from beyond the grave!
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Remember the left partying when Maggie died ? Now they have crocodile tears for a chap planning to murder at a rememberance day parade.
    The good question is how did he plan to come here on resemblance day and kill all those people from thousands of miles away?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,980
    edited September 2015
    @Cyclefree

Thanks for the link to Nick Cohen's Standpoint article... I have to say I agree, particularly with the description of hope not hate as "infantilising" Muslims by saying their culture was "immature"... I have always though one of the lefts greatest contradictions was the way they treated minorities as helpless and feeble creatures that would be "just like us" if we gave them enough time, rather than independent minded people that were proud of who they are and had no desire to be "like us". It always seemed an arrogant mindset, and it is being proven now to be dangerous too.

You should read http://traditionalbritain.org/blog/road-national-suicide/ it predicted much of the behaviour Cohen is bemoaning
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

Yes, interesting. Trump seems to have got his most high profile endorsement yet, but from beyond the grave!
    Talking about graves and Trump, he's quick in burying the political corpse of Jeb Bush, behold Trump's first ad, in just 15 seconds Jeb is finished:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZYAq_js_E4
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

What .

I think we are in a state of society where we equate 'having a case to answer' with 'not being any acceptable answer'. We need reminding that there can be 'a case to answer' which has a very full & complete answer. Of course, answer to appropriate authorities, not necessarily to the general public or the media.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

What .
    I struggle to see what the fu

What is needed is already written down, Mr. 4. That's the point I am trying to make.
    If you say so - it is not an area of expertise for me, so I am forced to rely upon the comments of elected representatives as to whether the current level is appropriate, and the issue does not seem settled there as a universal issue. Even if you are correct, reviving the debate for a new audience in response to a new scenario for us, hardly guarantees it will even be changed if, as you say, what is needed is already there and appropriate, so the having of the debate, again, does not in itself risk anything at all unless you think our representatives disagree what is there is appropriate.
  • Options
    tyson said:

I spent this afternoon reading about Churchill- I couldn't help but think where is the Churchill for today?

You know Churchill walked out on Stalin at the Tehran conference when Stalin boasted about killing Nazis. Churchill said that without law there was no point discussing anything further.

tyson said:

I think you will find he said that he would take a large number of nazis and around the side of the building and execute them out of hand. Truman thought he was joking and jilted back ...oh well maybe a slightly smaller number than that.

Churchills view was he would rather have his leg cut off without anaesthetic.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

MTimT said:

AnneJGP said:

MTimT said:

Many thanks. So provided a person doesn't use weapons of mass destruction, the home state has no obligations? I mean, for example, there are no obligations to stop people who are known to be active radicalisers from continuing to radicalise?

I should hope that there are not and never will be laws to prevent someone trying to persuade others to their point of view. That would be the real end of freedom of expression and even thought. Of course you aid radicalise, a word which carries a big load, but English law used to be very good at distinguishing between thought and deed, something we have lost sight of in recent years, perhaps.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

TGOHF said:

The good question is how did he plan to come here on resemblance day and kill all those people from thousands of miles away?
    He planned badly with compromised coms..
  • Options
    That's a fantastic article, David. PB is the only blog I read every day and it really keeps me informed and interested but that stands out.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

Talking about graves and Trump, he's quick in burying the political corpse of Jeb Bush, behold Trump's first ad, in just 15 seconds Jeb is finished:

htps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZYAq_js_E4
    I know they want a crowd present for political events, but why do they persist in putting them behind a politician? You just know someone there will be falling asleep, or making some kind of inappropriate sign or something.
  • Options

kle4 said:

The comparison with police marksmen/armed police is a poor one. The policeman will only be allowed to shoot if there is immediate danger to life - either their own or a third party. There can be no premeditation in the act as there is with the drone strikes as the basic concept is that the shooting is a last resort to save a life at the moment the shot is fired. So for example a policeman could not find out about a planned murder, go round and shoot the suspect if they were not actually in the process of carrying out the attempt. Nor could a chief inspector agree to a police marksman going and shooting a potential murderer whilst he was in the process of planning the act.

That is not to say that I disagree with what has been done. I don't. What I do think is that the authorities need the freedom to act in the way they did but must then place all the evidence and all the justification before an independent authority to decide whether what they did was judicial or extra judicial. The Attorney General cannot be that authority since he is part of the Government and owes his job to the man who has authorised the assassination. This ties in with Kle's comments about clear and transparent steps and guidelines.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,896
    tyson said:

The sooner Dave goes on his merry way the better. It must be quite nice tho have some kind of political leadership one could trust. Quite where that comes from in the UK in this day and age god only knows.

TGOHF said:

More handwringing.

It's immense fun.

One moment, the pair of the them are happily wandering about, burning Christians, raping prisoners, torturing Yazidis.

Then, Splat! They're just stains on the sand, with an interview with Eblis ahead of them.
  • Options
    BBC world news reporting New York Times

Signs of an internal revolt in the vatican against the pope.

Shouldn't have offered the spare room I guess?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

What .
    I struggle to see what the fu

What is needed is already written down, Mr. 4. That's the point I am trying to make.
    If you say so - it is not an area of expertise for me, so I am forced to rely upon the comments of elected representatives as to whether the current level is appropriate, and the issue does not seem settled there as a universal issue. Even if you are correct, reviving the debate for a new audience in response to a new scenario for us, hardly guarantees it will even be changed if, as you say, what is needed is already there and appropriate, so the having of the debate, again, does not in itself risk anything at all unless you think our representatives disagree what is there is appropriate.
    Have a debate, come up with a code of conduct, come up with a tick box list of things that must be done, make it as broad and as deep as you like. I guarantee that it will not provide the same level of protection for the citizen of the state as does the current law - so that is probably what will happen.

Remember Sharon Shoesmith, the person whose department failed, with tragic results, to protect a little boy. What was her excuse? We ticked all the boxes!

Still nobody has responded to my question about inquests for the "Cardiff Two".
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

tyson said:

TGOHF said:

More handwringing.

It's immense fun.

One moment, the pair of the them are happily wandering about, burning Christians, raping prisoners, torturing Yazidis.

Then, Splat! They're just stains on the sand, with an interview with Eblis ahead of them.
    Lol. Comparing Cameron to the mafia was the highlight for me.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,896

Sean_F said:

tyson said:

TGOHF said:

More handwringing.

It's immense fun.

Lol. Comparing Cameron to the mafia was the highlight for me.
    I should add that it'll be an interview without coffee.
  • Options
    I find the whole of the middle east, and moreover our role in it, quite unfathomable. We have 9-11 and then we go to war again a completely different despotic secular state on the pretext of WMD. Then we put military resources into the country responsible for 9-11 because it is a failed state before we pull out leaving it in a worse state. Then we start bombing other despotic leaders in the region and so help create even more failed states. Then we have lots and lots of migrants escaping their failed states causing chaos across our European borders. Then we start sending in drones to kill our own citizens in said failed states.

If I was reading the book about such chaotic events, I don't think I would be holding out too much hope for a happy ending at this juncture.
  • Options
    isam said:

@Cyclefree

Thanks for the link to Nick Cohen's Standpoint article... I have to say I agree, particularly with the description of hope not hate as "infantilising" Muslims by saying their culture was "immature"... I have always though one of the lefts greatest contradictions was the way they treated minorities as helpless and feeble creatures that would be "just like us" if we gave them enough time, rather than independent minded people that were proud of who they are and had no desire to be "like us". It always seemed an arrogant mindset, and it is being proven now to be dangerous too.

You should read http://traditionalbritain.org/blog/road-national-suicide/ it predicted much of the behaviour Cohen is bemoaning

I think much the same when I hear that the answer to some social problem is "education" in the sense of "people need to be educated about xxx". Always strikes me as a way of saying: "if only people were as clever as me, they wouldn't think the way they do".

• Options

The comparison with police marksmen/armed police is a poor one. The policeman will only be allowed to shoot if there is immediate danger to life - either their own or a third party. There can be no premeditation in the act as there is with the drone strikes as the basic concept is that the shooting is a last resort to save a life at the moment the shot is fired. So for example a policeman could not find out about a planned murder, go round and shoot the suspect if they were not actually in the process of carrying out the attempt. Nor could a chief inspector agree to a police marksman going and shooting a potential murderer whilst he was in the process of planning the act.

That is not to say that I disagree with what has been done. I don't. What I do think is that the authorities need the freedom to act in the way they did but must then place all the evidence and all the justification before an independent authority to decide whether what they did was judicial or extra judicial. The Attorney General cannot be that authority since he is part of the Government and owes his job to the man who has authorised the assassination. This ties in with Kle's comments about clear and transparent steps and guidelines.

Mr Tyndal, with respect, you are wrong. The principle in law is clear. To prevent a crime anyone, be it a constable, other agent of the state, or a private citizen, may use such force as is reasonable in the circumstances (Section 3 Criminal Law Act 1967 if you want to look it up). The immediate danger to life stuff you talk of has no place in law. Is the use of force necessary in the circumstances? Is the amount of force proposed reasonable in the circumstances? Those are the only two questions that count.

• Options
    edited September 2015

HurstLlama: "I should hope that there are not and never will be laws to prevent someone trying to persuade others to their point of view. That would be the real end of freedom of expression and even thought. Of course you aid radicalise, a word which carries a big load, but English law used to be very good at distinguishing between thought and deed, something we have lost sight of in recent years, perhaps."

That is a good point. The extreme end in view with radicalising does not alter a person's right to persuade others to their point of view.

As long as they don't do it in public, of course:
    http://www.christiantoday.com/article/street.preacher.guilty.of.using.threatening.language.by.quoting.leviticus/50564.htm

Edited to amend bodged snip
  • Options
    What an awful way to greet David's excellent and thought-provoking article: a hang-wringing, bile-filled, self-hating Leftie wankfest.

Continuing the (far more pleasant) pub theme of the last thread: tyson and Moniker are the grubby old gits sitting miserably in the grimiest corner nursing an hour-old, half-drunk pint of the cheapest bitter available.

They sit there in their smoke-stained, grey raincoats, frowning aggressively at the floor, muttering angrily to themselves, and occasionally grunting curses in acknowledgement of each other. There they will stay until closing time, before trudging home in a blanket of cheerlessness to continue their despondent solitude, without engaging with anyone else.

The rest of the pub smile and laugh with each other. They ignore them.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,973
    edited September 2015

Mr Tyndal, with respect, you are wrong. The principle in law is clear. To prevent a crime anyone, be it a constable, other agent of the state, or a private citizen, may use such force as is reasonable in the circumstances (Section 3 Criminal Law Act 1967 if you want to look it up). The immediate danger to life stuff you talk of has no place in law. Is the use of force necessary in the circumstances? Is the amount of force proposed reasonable in the circumstances? Those are the only two questions that count.

And as we have seen many times before when police men are being investigated the only circumstance where the use of lethal force is considered proportionate is when there is immediate danger to life. Of course the police will always claim this is the case and that there was immediate danger to life even if it is not true, but the mere fact that they use that claim as a defence shows that it is the benchmark against which their actions are judged.

Edit: For example the guidelines for the PSNI state:

9.6 A police officer shall discharge a firearm only where the officer honestly believes it is absolutely necessary to do so in order to save life or prevent serious injury.

UK Mainland police guidelines are the same:

"lethal or potentially lethal force should only be used when absolutely necessary in self-defence, or in the defence of others, against the threat of death or serious injury."
  • Options

I should hope that there are not and never will be laws to prevent someone trying to persuade others to their point of view. That would be the real end of freedom of expression and even thought. Of course you aid radicalise, a word which carries a big load, but English law used to be very good at distinguishing between thought and deed, something we have lost sight of in recent years, perhaps.

The obligations go way beyond use with regards to the 1540 resolution.

"Decides also that all States, in accordance with their national procedures, shall adopt and enforce appropriate effective laws which prohibit any non-State actor to manufacture, acquire, possess, develop, transport, transfer or use nuclear, chemical or biological weapons and their means of delivery, in particular for terrorist purposes, as well as attempts to engage in any of the foregoing activities, participate in them as an accomplice, assist or finance them"

I am less of an expert on the Additional Protocols, but part of their purpose was to impose rules (even if retrospectively, enabling prosecution of those in breach) on leaders of non-State combatants in non-traditional (i.e. not State on State) conflicts. Thus the leaders of groups such as ISIS would be bound by the obligations, even if enforcement is problematic.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @TGOHF

'Remember the left partying when Maggie died ? Now they have crocodile tears for a chap planning to murder at a rememberance day parade.'

You would struggle to make it up.

Fortunately the HR brigade,Guardian bedwetters and the Andrex puppy are in a complete minority.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,980
    LucyJones said:

isam said:

@Cyclefree

I think much the same when I hear that the answer to some social problem is "education" in the sense of "people need to be educated about xxx". Always strikes me as a way of saying: "if only people were as clever as me, they wouldn't think the way they do".

Yes!

I should say, the contradiction I had in mind was between the lefts haranguing of anyone they perceived as being racist, whether intentionally or not, and their condescending infantilisation of non white immigrants, who to me seem to be pawns in the game
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

tyson said:

TGOHF said:

More handwringing.

It's immense fun.

So, at least on PBer admits to enjoying the whole thing. Kudos, as the Septics say.
  • Options

What an awful way to greet David's excellent and thought-provoking article: a hang-wringing, bile-filled, self-hating Leftie wankfest.

I don't think a couple of comments counts as a wankfest - the majority of responses seem fairly nuanced, something I expect to change over time.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    TGOHF said:

More handwringing.

What does singing up involve? A descant?

:trolll:
  • Options
    I've got this all wrong. I should be giving a double fist pump at the killing of these jihadis. Great stuff. Two nil to the Ingerlund. Come on lads, lets go for more.
    I seemed to have missed the bonhomie of this sport. Thanks for pointing it out to me Casino.

Continuing the (far more pleasant) pub theme of the last thread: tyson and Moniker are the grubby old gits sitting miserably in the grimiest corner nursing an hour-old, half-drunk pint of the cheapest bitter available.

They sit there in their smoke-stained, grey raincoats, frowning aggressively at the floor, muttering angrily to themselves, and occasionally grunting curses in acknowledgement of each other. There they will stay until closing time, before trudging home in a blanket of cheerlessness to continue their despondent solitude, without engaging with anyone else.

• Options
    Charles said:

TGOHF said:

More handwringing.

What does singing up involve? A descant?

:trolll:
    Your question has already been answered:

https://twitter.com/isis_karaoke/status/637568407123197952
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    AnneJGP

That is an astonishing verdict. Freedom of speech in this country seems to only exist for those who agree with the liberal consensus.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

I think you will find he said that he would take a large number of nazis and around the side of the building and execute them out of hand. Truman thought he was joking and jilted back ...oh well maybe a slightly smaller number than that.

Churchills view was he would rather have his leg cut off without anaesthetic.
    Churchill apparently wanted proscriptions, with leading Nazis on a list and shot out of hand once captured and identified. The others wanted show trials.
  • Options
    For the use of drones for targeted killings of individuals, I would like to see at least the following mechanisms and standards in place:

1. permitted only where there is an ongoing conflict and the person has take up arms with an organized party to the conflict (i.e. not simply used for bumping off political opponents, and not to be used against civilians outside of the military leadership)
    2. the organized party to which the person belongs is either a state with which the killing State is at war, or has been declared a terrorist organization by the killing State
    3. arrest of the person is not a practical option
    4. a clear standard is set and met for warranting targeted killing as to level of (imminent) threat that the person poses
    5. the final decision has senior civilian political sign off
    6. all due effort is made to limit civilian casualties and in any case to ensure proportionality under international humanitarian law
    7. all due consideration is given to using the most appropriate military means for implementation of the order.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    tyson said:

tyson said:

Churchill had his faults -

http://www.theguardian.com/world/shortcuts/2013/sep/01/winston-churchill-shocking-use-chemical-weapons
  • Options

2/10.
    Your barbaric gloating over bloodshed reminds me of ISIS.
  • Options
    tyson said:

I've got this all wrong. I should be giving a double fist pump at the killing of these jihadis. Great stuff. Two nil to the Ingerlund. Come on lads, lets go for more.
    I seemed to have missed the bonhomie of this sport. Thanks for pointing it out to me Casino.

That's the spirit.

Alternatively, you could avoid hyperbole like comparing the Prime Minister unfavourably to a Mafia don and calling for his resignation just because he took action to eliminate two men who were plotting and inciting others to commit terrorist atrocities against UK citizens using the only means he realistically could.
  • Options

And as we have seen many times before when police men are being investigated the only circumstance where the use of lethal force is considered proportionate is when there is immediate danger to life. Of course the police will always claim this is the case and that there was immediate danger to life even if it is not true, but the mere fact that they use that claim as a defence shows that it is the benchmark against which their actions are judged.

Sorry, Mr. Tyndal I am not sure what your comment has to do with the state of the law.

If a person is plotting/preparing a crime can force be used upon him if that is the only way to stop the that crime happening? Then is the amount of force proposed reasonable (the ECHR talks of proportionate but the effect is the same) in the circumstances.

Now, for most cases involving plod the timescales are very short, but the law is the same. There were instances in NI when soldiers opened fire when the time between their actions and the intended crimes were longer, but the law still stood. So there is, I argue, no difference in law, between a RAF officer in Lincolnshire hitting a button that will kill a man in Syria and PC Plod shooting a bank robber.

I have given you the Act and Section and if you really cannot see what the law is I am afraid I cannot help you anymore.
  • Options

2/10.
    Your barbaric gloating over bloodshed reminds me of ISIS.
    Um. That wasn't barbaric gloating. That was taking the piss out of you.

But that reminds you of ISIS?

Looooooooooooooooooooooooooool.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,114
    Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZYAq_js_E4
    There will be some bitter attack ads between those two
  • Options

Sorry, Mr. Tyndal I am not sure what your comment has to do with the state of the law.

If a person is plotting/preparing a crime can force be used upon him if that is the only way to stop the that crime happening? Then is the amount of force proposed reasonable (the ECHR talks of proportionate but the effect is the same) in the circumstances.

Now, for most cases involving plod the timescales are very short, but the law is the same. There were instances in NI when soldiers opened fire when the time between their actions and the intended crimes were longer, but the law still stood. So there is, I argue, no difference in law, between a RAF officer in Lincolnshire hitting a button that will kill a man in Syria and PC Plod shooting a bank robber.

I have given you the Act and Section and if you really cannot see what the law is I am afraid I cannot help you anymore.
    If you look at the bit I added you will see the very clear guidelines issued to the UK police.

I will repeat what it says:

"lethal or potentially lethal force should only be used when absolutely necessary in self-defence, or in the defence of others, against the threat of death or serious injury."
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @BritishGQ: WINNER: George Osborne is GQ's Politician of the Year #GQAwards #MOTY http://t.co/XFhn7pnfZF

Dare I look at Twitter...
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108

@Dair

I remember five years ago now, Podolski missed a penalty for Germany, and Mark Lawrenson claimed that he'd missed it because he wasn't a 'proper German.' *rolleyes*

Why Lawrenson has a job is beyond me. Apart from his obvious Xenophobia, it does appear there is a seething racism under the surface.

On top of that he is quite inept as a pundit.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    I am wary of proposals to have new laws to address "ethical" questions. Soon, British soldiers will have to go war with a lawyer by their sides. Particularly in cases like dealing with ISIL the enemy does not respect our sense of fair play let alone our laws.
  • Options

If you look at the bit I added you will see the very clear guidelines issued to the UK police.

I will repeat what it says:

And in what way does that "Guidance" affect the state of the law?

Plod fears a crime is about to be committed, he concludes that force is the only way to prevent said crime. He concludes that shooting the person is, in the circumstances, reasonable. Bang, (or rather "Bang, bang" since plod, having read about the double tap, is in love with it despite using weapons for which it was not intended). Later Plod has to answer for his action, at least in the Coroner's Court.

Where is the difference, between plod and his bank robber and HMG with the two idiots in Syria?

Which reminds me does anyone know if the Cardiff Two will be accorded an inquest?
  • Options
    What about this for an idea: don't leave Wales to sign up to fight alongside a group of murderous savages and there's a good chance you won't get killed by a drone, or anything else actually.

The hand wringers just HAVE to blame somebody, I've zero sympathy for those two, irrespective of who is responsible.
  • Options
    perdix said:

I am wary of proposals to have new laws to address "ethical" questions. Soon, British soldiers will have to go war with a lawyer by their sides. Particularly in cases like dealing with ISIL the enemy does not respect our sense of fair play let alone our laws.

True, but they already have to know the Geneva Conventions and the Additional Protocols, relevant international law relating to prohibited weaponry, the legal status of their superior officers from other nations if they are operating in a coalition or alliance, and the rules of engagement plus their own force's military doctrine. A modern soldier already has to be well-versed in law, particularly the officer class.