Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Sir Vince Cable predicts George Osborne will be the next Pr

Comments

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,411
    HYUFD said:

The survation poll data tables

http://bit.ly/1EIbwaH

Keep calm bitches, this time last year (well technically tomorrow) we had a poll with Yes ahead in the Indyref

Well if we do leave the EU we will certainly lose Scotland this time, but it will be the rest of the UK who will have kicked them out by default, knowing that voting to quit the EU means losing our northern neighbours too (Scotland almost certainly voting Yes)
    This poll shows little difference between Scotland and England.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,281
    Survation voting intention

Conservative 38%
    Labour 32%
    UKIP 13%
    LD 6%
    Green 4%
    https://twitter.com/britainelects?lang=en-gb
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    edited September 2015
    EPG said:

MattW said:

I think Cable's right, although it does appear some Conservative MPs are having doubts about Osborne's electability. In the end though, I can see Boris' lack of networking, costing him the leadership. Osborne has essentially spent the last couple of years building up a network of supporters - a lot of the up-and-coming Conservative MPs are Osbornites (Perry, Hancock, Hands, Javid etc). While Osborne can be caricatured as cunning, or mean you can still take him seriously. Boris, on the other-hand is the exact opposite case.

Personally, I think Thersea May would be a far better choice than either of those two.

And FPT, sorry I missed your post @CarlottaValance. I find the use of 'turnip' as an insult quite strange. It's a part of the odd PB vocabulary. Also thanks to the PBers who gave me messages of support. I feel slightly less awkward now....

I thought turnip was a cybernat insult on Unionists or English.
    It's an insult that I've only ever seen on PB though (unless cybernats on Twitter are using turnip as an insult too). And sometimes it's been used outside of the context of Scottish nationalism.
    I always assumed it was connected to the Turnip Taliban incident pre-GE 2010, i.e. PB Tory inside joke.
    I thought it was because there was a Scot Nat who used to post from Stockholm and was therefore dismissed by the PB Tories for being a Swede.

I'll get my coat...
  • Options
    The Independent on Sunday stating millions more to leave as ISIS cut off road and The Observer completely out of touch with the survation poll. Think the left has this wrong yet again
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,627
    HYUFD said:

Conservative 38%
    Labour 32%
    UKIP 13%
    LD 6%
    Green 4%

Honestly, will nothing boost the LDs?
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    HYUFD said:

Keep calm bitches, this time last year (well technically tomorrow) we had a poll with Yes ahead in the Indyref

Well if we do leave the EU we will certainly lose Scotland this time, but it will be the rest of the UK who will have kicked them out by default, knowing that voting to quit the EU means losing our northern neighbours too (Scotland almost certainly voting Yes)
    Bonus!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

john_zims said:

@HYUFD

'Well if we do leave the EU we will certainly lose Scotland this time

That's a win win.

In the end I think it will be a narrow In, but as this poll shows Cameron does need to get a reasonable renegotiation to ensure it
    Well, good luck with that one. Does anyone especially after the migrant crisis saga - believe that Cameron will get a decent renegotiation?
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    edited September 2015
    MikeK said:

Jordan Spieth in meltdown, and there doesn't seem to be a reason for it.

Charley Hoffman's is playing his ass off, and there's no reason for that either. McIlroy isn't doing that well, but that's just rust from being off.

Jordan's just having a bad couple of weeks. I'll give him some tips at East Lake ;)

Prior to Tiger it was accepted that pro golfers had good and bad spells.

It's looking like the replacement for Tiger is some combination of Day, Spieth, Fowler, McIlroy

You made me stop watching the Chic-fil-a Kickoff Classic to go check out the golf!!!!!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,306
    Charles said:

EPG said:

It's an insult that I've only ever seen on PB though (unless cybernats on Twitter are using turnip as an insult too). And sometimes it's been used outside of the context of Scottish nationalism.

I always assumed it was connected to the Turnip Taliban incident pre-GE 2010, i.e. PB Tory inside joke.
    I thought it was because there was a Scot Nat who used to post from Stockholm and was therefore dismissed by the PB Tories for being a Swede.

I'll get my coat...
    Wings over Stockholm? :D

The amount of times the T word has been mentioned, I'm surprised malcolm hasn't turned up
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,390
    Charles said:

JEO said:

BBC News is showing the next wave of migrants turning up in Hungary. If I was a Middle Easterner or African watching this footage, I think I'd be seriously considering making the trip (although probably via the overland route.) There's a billion people in Africa. If just 1% makes the trip, then that's 10 million turning up next year. But there must be a point when even Germany says 'enough', surely? What happens then?

In the NYTimes today there was an interesting stat.

Earlier this month 2,000 a week were turning up at the Hungarian border.

This week, after Merkel's announcement, it was 3,000.

I know there's a risk of the post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy, but it's an interesting stat that would suggest that the view that Merkel's statement will increase the number of migrants has some basis in fact
    Haven't the numbers been growing rapidly? So definitely a case of post hoc ergo propter hoc. In any case it will take longer than a week to get from Afghanistan or Syria to Hungary by their methods.

Similarly, continental winter will come, people will stop coming because the journey would be lethal, and we will hear that the migrant crisis has been "solved". That will just be post hoc too.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Conservative 38%
    Labour 32%
    UKIP 13%
    LD 6%
    Green 4%

That VI isn't that awful for Labour, given recent events.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Disraeli said:

Charles said:

Sure. When the Whigs arise once more, then...

You called ?
    @kle4 wants you to end the Tory domination of the Shires

You have your mission.
    If you could end Labour dominance of the NE and urban centres, South Wales, and SNP dominance in Scotland, that would be good too, I'm not a fan of dominance (though since the SNP are only recently dominant, I suppose it's fair they continue on for a time)
  • Options
    DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106
    Charles said:

Disraeli said:

Charles said:

Sure. When the Whigs arise once more, then...

You called ?
    @kle4 wants you to end the Tory domination of the Shires

You have your mission.
    I might need to make a few phone calls ....
    And find a Ouija Board to contact the spirit of Palmerston. :smile:
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Conservative 38%
    Labour 32%
    UKIP 13%
    LD 6%
    Green 4%

Indeed, scores basically the same as General Election except a slight 2% shift from the LDs to Labour
  • Options
    Charles said:

EPG said:

MattW said:

I think Cable's right, although it does appear some Conservative MPs are having doubts about Osborne's electability. In the end though, I can see Boris' lack of networking, costing him the leadership. Osborne has essentially spent the last couple of years building up a network of supporters - a lot of the up-and-coming Conservative MPs are Osbornites (Perry, Hancock, Hands, Javid etc). While Osborne can be caricatured as cunning, or mean you can still take him seriously. Boris, on the other-hand is the exact opposite case.

Personally, I think Thersea May would be a far better choice than either of those two.

And FPT, sorry I missed your post @CarlottaValance. I find the use of 'turnip' as an insult quite strange. It's a part of the odd PB vocabulary. Also thanks to the PBers who gave me messages of support. I feel slightly less awkward now....

I thought turnip was a cybernat insult on Unionists or English.

I'll get my coat...
    This is a much better story...
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Another one who claims it wasn't them
    Top Ukip donor cries 'dirty tricks' after his name is found in hacked database of Ashley Madison users

Ukip donor Arron Banks' details were found on Ashley Madison database
    Hack last month revealed addresses of millions of users of cheating site
    Insurance tycoon Banks heads the £7million campaign to leave the EU
    He denied using the website but pointed out that he is single anyway

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3223714/Top-Ukip-donor-cries-dirty-tricks-hacked-database-Ashley-Madison-users.html#ixzz3ktxJG4tm
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
  • Options

HYUFD said:

john_zims said:

@HYUFD

That's a win win.

In the end I think it will be a narrow In, but as this poll shows Cameron does need to get a reasonable renegotiation to ensure it
    Well, good luck with that one. Does anyone especially after the migrant crisis saga - believe that Cameron will get a decent renegotiation?
    In the end Germany will want the UK to stay, it does not want to be the only major north European economy left in the EU, outnumbered by Spain, Italy and France
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Conservative 38%
    Labour 32%
    UKIP 13%
    LD 6%
    Green 4%

The brand is still toxic at the moment it seems
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Conservative 38%
    Labour 32%
    UKIP 13%
    LD 6%
    Green 4%

They have done nothing since the election of Farron to attract much attention.

Probably it will take a mixture of Corbyn and beneficial by-election results (Richmond Park) to get attention back.
  • Options
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

The English could do anything, and that would be used as justification by the SNP for another indyref!
    Yes, but Sturgeon has made clear EU exit would be a 'change in circumstances' which could trigger indyref2
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

john_zims said:

@HYUFD

That's a win win.

In the end Germany will want the UK to stay, it does not want to be the only major north European economy left in the EU, outnumbered by Spain, Italy and France
    If we look at euro matters, Germany already gets its way despite the absence of the UK, Sweden or Denmark. Germany and France are the only countries that particularly care to project a policy direction on the EU, and Germany is larger and a more credible partner due to the extreme homogeneity and conservatism of its political elite, rendering elections almost irrelevant.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

john_zims said:

@HYUFD

That's a win win.

I'm sure it will want us to say, but will they conclude they can give us next to nothing and still have us stay? Probably they will, and possibly they will be right.

• Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,464
    kle4 said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

Charles said:

PClipp said:

HYUFD said:

Dorset has always attracted wealthy retirees from the South East and Sandbanks could match Surrey in terms of wealth and house prices, however many of the locals in Dorset still have relatively low wages and work in tourism, the service sector or agriculture and do not have the type of salaries to match the City

Nowhere has the type of salaries to match the City, Mr HYUFD. Likewise overpriced property which they can flog off to gullible foreigners. This is why incomers are so strongly disliked by the original inhabitants, and why the Tory dominance in rural England has to be a transitory bubble.
    "Transitory"?

A transition that's lasted over 120 years (since Hartington and his friends shifted split from Gladstone)
    I guess the transition would be from total dominance to largest but not quite as dominant.
    Still not convinced that something which lasts 120 years is a "bubble"!
    Just a really long cycle perhaps?
    Like the Tour de France then.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    The big news is that just 8% want more than 10,000 Syrian refugees to come to the UK.

That's about the same number who've arrived in Germany in the last few days.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

john_zims said:

@HYUFD

That's a win win.

I'm sure it will want us to say, but will they conclude they can give us next to nothing and still have us stay? Probably they will, and possibly they will be right.

Absolutely impossible to predict the referendum - the migrant crisis is a game changer involving every EU Country and much angst throughout
  • Options
    The Lib Dems may have been inversely-decimated but they still have a presence in the cultural referents of members of parliament:
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/sep/05/corbyn-supporters-mps-party-members-labour-election

- One shadow minister said he had written his resignation letter and said he planned to “act like a Lib Dem for the next five years”. “I will stay in my constituency, make myself useful, pick up dog [...] and stay away from Westminster. What is the point of going there?” he said.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Tim_B said:

MikeK said:

Charley Hoffman's is playing his ass off, and there's no reason for that either. McIlroy isn't doing that well, but that's just rust from being off.

Jordan's just having a bad couple of weeks. I'll give him some tips at East Lake ;)

It's looking like the replacement for Tiger is some combination of Day, Spieth, Fowler, McIlroy

You made me stop watching the Chic-fil-a Kickoff Classic to go check out the golf!!!!!
    Sorry about that. I'll try not to mention golf again this evening.
  • Options
    Charles said:

JEO said:

BBC News is showing the next wave of migrants turning up in Hungary. If I was a Middle Easterner or African watching this footage, I think I'd be seriously considering making the trip (although probably via the overland route.) There's a billion people in Africa. If just 1% makes the trip, then that's 10 million turning up next year. But there must be a point when even Germany says 'enough', surely? What happens then?

I know there's a risk of the post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy, but it's an interesting stat that would suggest that the view that Merkel's statement will increase the number of migrants has some basis in fact
    Bluntly, I think we need to build a new Berlin Wall across the Balkans, or turn back the boats.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Looking at the details of the poll, London, Scotland and Wales would vote to remain, the Midlands, the North and the South to leave.

Ironically though SNP voters would narrowly vote Out, alongside Tory voters and an overwhelming majority of UKIP voters. Labour, LD, Green and Plaid voters would vote to stay In
    http://survation.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Final-MoS-September-Tables-1c0d0h4.pdf
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

john_zims said:

@HYUFD

That's a win win.

They've nothing left to offer us.

Stay in the EU and take several hundred thousand asylum seekers.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Charles said:

JEO said:

Bluntly, I think we need to build a new Berlin Wall across the Balkans, or turn back the boats.
    Given that Serbia isn't in the EU, I wonder why the Hungarian border was undermarcated until recently.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Tim_B said:

MikeK said:

Please do mention it, I've been having difficulty sleeping lately and could use the help.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

john_zims said:

@HYUFD

That's a win win.

Just like the Scottish referendum
    They will give Britain nothing
    Britain will vote to stay in
    Then moan
  • Options
    There are some questions on the Labour leadership at the end of the Survation poll

Who would be best to lead Labour into the next general election?

Burnham 20.3%
    Corbyn 18.8%
    Cooper 14.9%
    Kendall 7.2%

Which of these 3 politicians would make the best leader of the Labour Party?

Chuka Umunna 10.6%
    Jeremy Corbyn 20.7%
    David Miliband 27.5%

http://survation.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Final-MoS-September-Tables-1c0d0h4.pdf (see pages 28 and 30)
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Tim_B said:

MikeK said:

No need to restrain yourself - Auburn is beating up on Louisville 24-0 only 3 minutes into the third quarter, so I'll stay with the golf. Feel free to opine ;)

Like the man said, Spieth is trying too hard. Looks like he'll miss the cut.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Charles said:

JEO said:

Funny when Trump says that about America/Mexico he's viewed to be absolutely crackers ... but then so many now say that as eminently sensible here.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

There are some questions on the Labour leadership at the end of the Survation poll

Burnham 20.3%
    Corbyn 18.8%
    Cooper 14.9%
    Kendall 7.2%

Chuka Umunna 10.6%
    Jeremy Corbyn 20.7%
    David Miliband 27.5%

http://survation.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Final-MoS-September-Tables-1c0d0h4.pdf (see pages 28 and 30)

Naught but Blairite Propaganda! :)
  • Options
    Home tomorrow after a ludicrous wander, even by my standards.

In 10 days: Frankfurt, Paris, Brussels, Philadelphia, Raleigh, Greensboro, Chicago, Lansing, Los Angeles, Phoenix, Kansas City, New Jersey, Indianapolis and New York.

Can't wait :)
  • Options
    Charles said:

In 10 days: Frankfurt, Paris, Brussels, Philadelphia, Raleigh, Greensboro, Chicago, Lansing, Los Angeles, Phoenix, Kansas City, New Jersey, Indianapolis and New York.

I managed India, Switzerland, France and the US during calendar year 2010, but that is highly impressive!
  • Options
    Interestingly Burnham leads Corbyn by 19.6% to 18% in England and perhaps surprisingly by 31.3% to 19.7% in Scotland. However, Corbyn leads Burnham in Wales by 30.7% to 13%

http://survation.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Final-MoS-September-Tables-1c0d0h4.pdf (see p28)
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,306
    Charles said:

Nothing like arriving back at Heathrow after time away!
  • Options
    Charles said:

I've not been to Lansing, but have been to all the others, probably taking longer than you ;) Lived in NJ and NY.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    At the risk of upsetting the Kippers, I wonder if this surge for OUT has been partly caused by Farage's low profile since the election (just the same as people thought the previous drop in Euroscepticism was caused by people not wanting to be associated with him).
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

john_zims said:

@HYUFD

That's a win win.

By the time we vote to leave (if we do) we will already have received a considerable number. And negotiations will take time .....

• Options
    EPG said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

john_zims said:

@HYUFD

That's a win win.

If we look at euro matters, Germany already gets its way despite the absence of the UK, Sweden or Denmark. Germany and France are the only countries that particularly care to project a policy direction on the EU, and Germany is larger and a more credible partner due to the extreme homogeneity and conservatism of its political elite, rendering elections almost irrelevant.
    Maybe, but it cannot go on directing things entirely its own way under QMV and German voters are already getting fed up with carrying most of the tab for the EU, losing the UK would mean they had to bear an even larger burden
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

john_zims said:

@HYUFD

That's a win win.

By the time we vote to leave (if we do) we will already have received a considerable number. And negotiations will take time .....

No we can veto any number, we have an unambiguous opt-out. The only pressure is for us to volunteer to take some in the hope that we'll get a better deal as a quid pro quo, like how Blair pathetically gave up some of our rebate on a hope to reform CAP (but without any actual deal so it never happened). If we've voted to leave we'll just do whatever we want as far as this is concerned.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

john_zims said:

@HYUFD

That's a win win.

In the end I don't think we will take a large number
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

john_zims said:

@HYUFD

That's a win win.

Yes the "leave" campaign will be taking note and at present wishing to turn this into a " this is the only way we can protect our borders" campaign. Thing is they're right, and for all the pontificating of German commentators ( e.g. the correspondent of Die Welt on Sky news this lunchtime) it seems to be the case that British and German public views are a long way apart on this issue, and Merkel's open doing policy combined with a demand we all share the burden of her decision this week has been a gift to "leave".

I'd still expect "stay" to win but I think it's getting squeakier bum time and I for one am more skeptical about staying than I was. I'm sorry, but like them though I do, and visited the place hundreds of times as I have, and wonderful though I think their economy is, and no matter how right they were about the Greeks ( where I expressed my support), I'm buggered if I'm not very uneasy about a German Chancellor presuming she can tell us what to do ( no matter how benign her intentions).
  • Options
    EPG said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

john_zims said:

@HYUFD

That's a win win.

Then moan
    There will have to be at least some offer, though I can's see Juncker and Merkel quite doing 'the Vow' in the same way Brown and Cameron did
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Charles said:

JEO said:

Funny when Trump says that about America/Mexico he's viewed to be absolutely crackers ... but then so many now say that as eminently sensible here.
    Illegal immigration from Mexico to the US has now slowed to a trickle. Thanks to both very hardline border policies and the aging of the Mexican population.
  • Options
    edited September 2015

HYUFD said:

Burnham 20.3%
    Corbyn 18.8%
    Cooper 14.9%
    Kendall 7.2%

Chuka Umunna 10.6%
    Jeremy Corbyn 20.7%
    David Miliband 27.5%

Naught but Blairite Propaganda! :)
    It is a consistent trend though in all polling, Burnham does best of the 4 candidates, but David Miliband would do better than Burnham
  • Options
    RobD said:

Charles said:

Nothing like arriving back at Heathrow after time away!
    - except leaving it to come home!
  • Options
    The BBC's paper reviewers falling over themselves to rubbish the poll showing No on 51% for the EU referendum.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

EPG said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

john_zims said:

@HYUFD

That's a win win.

Then moan
    There will have to be at least some offer, though I can's see Juncker and Merkel quite doing 'the Vow' in the same way Brown and Cameron did
    Wouldn't mean anything if they did. It's been shown time & again that gentlemen's agreements mean nothing in the EU.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Tim_B said:

Charles said:

I've not been to Lansing, but have been to all the others, probably taking longer than you ;) Lived in NJ and NY.
    I didn't realise Lansing was the state capital til I got there!

I wander a lot, and fast - trying at the moment to duck out of trips to India and Taiwan in October...

Life would be so much easier if I had a private jet!
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

HYUFD said:

EPG said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

john_zims said:

@HYUFD

That's a win win.

Then moan
    Wouldn't mean anything if they did. It's been shown time & again that gentlemen's agreements mean nothing in the EU.
    It depends if a majority of EU leaders agreed to any reforms
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited September 2015
    I come back from a night out to see that OUT is leading thanks to the immigration crisis and the Anyone But Corbyn camp in general disarray once more:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/sep/05/labour-liz-kendall-vote-for-yvette-cooper-get-jeremy-corbyn

Make your minds up, yesterday according to the ABC's, Cooper was brilliant and Burnham was trash, today they flipped once more.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,596
    edited September 2015
    HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Looking at the details of the poll, London, Scotland and Wales would vote to remain, the Midlands, the North and the South to leave.

Ironically though SNP voters would narrowly vote Out, alongside Tory voters and an overwhelming majority of UKIP voters. Labour, LD, Green and Plaid voters would vote to stay In
    http://survation.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Final-MoS-September-Tables-1c0d0h4.pdf
    Swap Scotland for the North, and that's Labour's maximum possible vote in 2020.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Whoops. Many of the those replying to this Tweet about the Survation poll have assumed the poll is a survey of Mail readers only. They're then informed it's actually of the public as a whole.

twitter.com/suttonnick/status/640263188047626241
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

If an independent Scotland were to join the EU it would have to join Schengen, right? Which would take it out of the CTA and require passport controls on the border?
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    EPG said:

kle4 said:

They have done nothing since the election of Farron to attract much attention. Probably it will take a mixture of Corbyn and beneficial by-election results (Richmond Park) to get attention back.
    Hardly surprising, since Parliament went into recess almost immediately after the Lib Dem leader election. And the media has been totally taken up with the Labour internal elections, and now the migration crisis.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

The English could do anything, and that would be used as justification by the SNP for another indyref!
    Yes, but Sturgeon has made clear EU exit would be a 'change in circumstances' which could trigger indyref2
    Sturgeon does not have the authority to call Indy Ref 2.

All she can do is run a big opinion poll without the say so of the UK Government.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Tim_B said:

Charles said:

I wander a lot, and fast - trying at the moment to duck out of trips to India and Taiwan in October...

Why, oh why, haven't they invented the teleport yet? On the other hand, perhaps there would be a downside.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Tim_B said:

Charles said:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SjbckWJyqhg
  • Options
    MattW said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Swap Scotland for the North, and that's Labour's maximum possible vote in 2020.
    Although in the unlikely event of a Labour victory the Midlands would also go
  • Options

HYUFD said:

If an independent Scotland were to join the EU it would have to join Schengen, right? Which would take it out of the CTA and require passport controls on the border?
    Presumably. Hadrian's Wall for the 21st Century. And the Euro too one supposes is a prerequisite.

Still I personally could claim both passports so it'd be a laugh as I crossed from my country to my country.
  • Options
    MattW said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

All she can do is run a big opinion poll without the say so of the UK Government.
    If the UK votes to quit the EU though she will demand Scotland be allowed to stay in the EU regardless of whether the rUK leaves or not
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Conservative 38%
    Labour 32%
    UKIP 13%
    LD 6%
    Green 4%

Indeed, scores basically the same as General Election except a slight 2% shift from the LDs to Labour
    Labour is only up 0.8 % to 32%
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Tim_B said:

Charles said:

Only 1.4 cities per day. Pah!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I presume so, yes, we would have border checks at Hadrian's Wall
  • Options
    A few months ago the Twittersphere got it completely wrong on Ed Miliband. You'd think they might have learned their lesson, but instead they're doing exactly the same thing again with regard to British opinion on Syrian refugees,
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

MattW said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

If the UK votes to quit the EU though she will demand Scotland be allowed to stay in the EU regardless of whether the rUK leaves or not
    ISTR that was only if Scotland voted to stay whilst rUK voted to leave. Presumably if Scotland votes out, no problem.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

Charles said:

Tim_B said:

Charles said:

I've not been to Lansing, but have been to all the others, probably taking lonYepger than you ;) Lived in NJ and NY.

Why, oh why, haven't they invented the teleport yet? On the other hand, perhaps there would be a downside.
    Yep. Think refugees with a teleport. Or worse, ISIS.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

HYUFD said:

Presumably. Hadrian's Wall for the 21st Century. And the Euro too one supposes is a prerequisite.

Still I personally could claim both passports so it'd be a laugh as I crossed from my country to my country.
    To be honest there are plenty of countries ahead of Scotland that are committed by treaty to join the Euro but have chosen not to and are making it clear they have no intention to for the foreseeable future. And I have serious doubts that Schengen will exist this time next year let alone by the time Scotland gets Independence.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    HYUFD said:

MattW said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

Maybe. She can demand all kinds of things, for example that they could keep the pound with no consequences, or any of the other varied fantasies tehy put forward last time.

But how long will that all take and will the dog's breakfast the SNP are making of Scotland have come home t o roost yet?

You can only starve your education and health systems of resources for so long before the people notice.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Tim_B said:

Charles said:

I was going to ask why - in a list of cities - NJ and NY appear... Did he visit NYC, Albany? Likewise in NJ - Piscataway, Cherry Hill?

RG3 stays as a backup - with his contract?
  • Options
    Speedy said:

I come back from a night out to see that OUT is leading thanks to the immigration crisis and the Anyone But Corbyn camp in general disarray once more:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/sep/05/labour-liz-kendall-vote-for-yvette-cooper-get-jeremy-corbyn

Make your minds up, yesterday according to the ABC's, Cooper was brilliant and Burnham was trash, today they flipped once more.

Indeed, the Head of the Kendall campaign has said he has given his second vote to Burnham. "According to Burnham’s canvassing data – involving responses from the 80,494 people eligible to vote – the percentage of his voters who have, or will, put Corbyn down as a second preference has risen in recent weeks from 28% to 51%.

Only 30% of Burnham’s second preferences would go to Cooper if he came third, it is claimed."
  • Options
    MattW said:

HYUFD said:

MattW said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

Maybe.

But how long will that take and will the dog's breakfast the SNP are making of Scotland have come home t o roost yet?

You can only starve your education and health systems of resources for so long before the people notice.
    Indeed, but it does not seem to be being noticed much at the moment
  • Options
    Ouch! This has got to hurt the Dems, and Hillary's campaign in particular:

"In an election for President of the United States, today, Labor Day, business provocateur Donald Trump narrowly defeats Hillary Clinton, Joe Biden, Bernie Sanders and Al Gore, in head-to-head matchups, according to nationwide polling conducted by SurveyUSA.

"Today it's:

* Trump 45%, Clinton 40%. (There is a 20-point Gender Gap; Trump leads by 18 points among seniors.)
    * Trump 44%, Sanders 40%. (Trump leads by 10 among independents and by 6 among moderates.)
    * Trump 44%, Biden 42%. (Trump leads by 10 among the best educated; Biden leads by 17 among the least educated.)
    * Trump 44%, Gore 41%. (Trump leads by 12 among men and by 18 among voters age 50+.)

Among a subset of registered voters who tell SurveyUSA that they pay "a lot" of attention to politics, the scale tilts to the right: Today it's:

* Trump 54%, Clinton 36%.
    * Trump 53%, Sanders 39%.
    * Trump 53%, Biden 37%.
    * Trump 54%, Gore 36%. "
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

MTimT said:

Tim_B said:

Charles said:

I was going to ask why - in a list of cities - NJ and NY appear... Did he visit NYC, Albany? Likewise in NJ - Piscataway, Cherry Hill?

The RG3 situation is beyond comprehension at this stage
  • Options
    MTimT said:

"In an election for President of the United States, today, Labor Day, business provocateur Donald Trump narrowly defeats Hillary Clinton, Joe Biden, Bernie Sanders and Al Gore, in head-to-head matchups, according to nationwide polling conducted by SurveyUSA.

"Today it's:

* Trump 45%, Clinton 40%. (There is a 20-point Gender Gap; Trump leads by 18 points among seniors.)
    * Trump 44%, Sanders 40%. (Trump leads by 10 among independents and by 6 among moderates.)
    * Trump 44%, Biden 42%. (Trump leads by 10 among the best educated; Biden leads by 17 among the least educated.)
    * Trump 44%, Gore 41%. (Trump leads by 12 among men and by 18 among voters age 50+.)

Among a subset of registered voters who tell SurveyUSA that they pay "a lot" of attention to politics, the scale tilts to the right: Today it's:

* Trump 53%, Biden 37%.
    * Trump 54%, Gore 36%. "

A good poll for Trump, which will also help make his chances of the nomination almost unstoppable if consistent, but it is only 1 poll. PPP just 2 days ago had both Clinton and Biden beating Trump
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

MattW said:

HYUFD said:

MattW said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

Maybe.

But how long will that take and will the dog's breakfast the SNP are making of Scotland have come home t o roost yet?

Your estimate of the answer to my question?
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Brilliant this multicultural Britain,we have the Roma over the road from us playing they music top of the sound can go,singing along drunk.

The same house months back a white British couple were forced to move because the boyfriend got beat up by a racist Asian gang.

Just brilliant.
  • Options
    MattW said:

HYUFD said:

MattW said:

HYUFD said:

MattW said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

Maybe.

Your estimate of the answer to my question?
    Based on Quebec's experience, 15-20 years
  • Options

welshowl said:

HYUFD said:

To be honest there are plenty of countries ahead of Scotland that are committed by treaty to join the Euro but have chosen not to and are making it clear they have no intention to for the foreseeable future. And I have serious doubts that Schengen will exist this time next year let alone by the time Scotland gets Independence.
    Indeed on Schengen, and yes I think Sweden was supposed to be committed to sign up to the Euro but have voted no twice ( I think ) so you're right of course. In theory though for all the bollocks the Nats come out with about keeping Sterling they'd probably be caught between a theoretical Euro accession and a non English sanctioned use of the Pound ( or their own currency ).
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Tim_B said:

MTimT said:

Tim_B said:

Charles said:

The RG3 situation is beyond comprehension at this stage
    My bet is that Dan Snyder wants to keep him and nobody else wants anything to do with him. With his contract they can't trade him at that price, my bet is that once he's finished the concussion protocol they'll cut him.

I saw today that Dallas are talking to Cleveland, but fortunately not about Johnny Football, but an RB.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

"Today it's:

* Trump 53%, Biden 37%.
    * Trump 54%, Gore 36%. "

I can't believe Americans are seriously going to vote for Trump as POTUS.

The world has gone mad.

• Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    AndyJS said:

The BBC's paper reviewers falling over themselves to rubbish the poll showing No on 51% for the EU referendum.

The BBC paper review is always incredibly biased. If they have a Tory you can guarantee they will be of the wet, metropolitan variety.
  • Options
    edited September 2015

Brilliant this multicultural Britain,we have the Roma over the road from us playing they music top of the sound can go,singing along drunk.

The same house months back a white British couple were forced to move because the boyfriend got beat up by a racist Asian gang.

Just brilliant.

The liberal elite isn't interested in the problems you describe.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:
    Labour voters are 63% In, 37% Out, LDs 84% In, 16% Out, UKIP voters 95% Out, 5% In, so it looks like Tory votes will be the swing voters in EU ref
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

john_zims said:

@HYUFD

That's a win win.

We won't have a choice when they get EU passports.
  • Options
    JEO said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

john_zims said:

@HYUFD

That's a win win.

That takes ~8 years in Germany, by which time people will be by and large settled down in Germany.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:
    Labour voters are 63% In, 37% Out, LDs 84% In, 16% Out, UKIP voters 95% Out, 5% In, so it looks like Tory votes will be the swing voters in EU ref
    This is the danger for the Tory leadership. They risk being on the wrong side of the base, which can be done, but only if you're respectful and honest about it. If they start coming out with three million jobs nonsense or say eurosceptics want to pull up the drawbridge they will be in trouble.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    AndyJS said:

Just brilliant.

The liberal elite isn't interested in the problems you describe.
    I'm just hoping the same racist Asian gang might come round and do me a favour with the noise.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    JEO said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:
    This is the danger for the Tory leadership. They risk being on the wrong side of the base, which can be done, but only if you're respectful and honest about it. If they start coming out with three million jobs nonsense or say eurosceptics want to pull up the drawbridge they will be in trouble.
    Indeed, in Scotland it was 2010 Labour voters who proved to be the key swing votes for No, however most of those who voted Yes subsequently voted SNP in 2015. The Tories must be wary to ensure that even while they try and win the referendum they do not lay the ground for Tory No voters to switch to UKIP in 2020
  • Options

MTimT said:

"Today it's:

* Trump 53%, Biden 37%.
    * Trump 54%, Gore 36%. "

I can't believe Americans are seriously going to vote for Trump as POTUS.

The world has gone mad.

Indeed. I am hoping I will wake up shortly.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

Indeed, the Head of the Kendall campaign has said he has given his second vote to Burnham. "According to Burnham’s canvassing data – involving responses from the 80,494 people eligible to vote – the percentage of his voters who have, or will, put Corbyn down as a second preference has risen in recent weeks from 28% to 51%.

Only 30% of Burnham’s second preferences would go to Cooper if he came third, it is claimed."
    In war the first casualty is the truth.
  • Options
    JEO said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:
    However uncharitable it may be, it seems Europe is getting to the point where pulling up the drawbridge is the only option if we want democracy to live on.
  • Options
    edited September 2015

JEO said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

john_zims said:

@HYUFD

That's a win win.

That takes ~8 years in Germany, by which time people will be by and large settled down in Germany.
    Passports took 10 years in Holland, yet more than a third of their Somali population came to the UK. If only 10% of this migrant wave do the same, thats an extra 80,000 per year for the UK.