Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The first GOP debate – has it changed your view?

Comments

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,484
    Corbyn says he plans to nationalise big six energy companies.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,021

MikeK said:

Ho - hum! Another day of boring news that seems to go around in circles in the holiday period:

1. The cattle in Calais
    2. The Dem steers needle the Rep hefers
    3. The end of the calves enclosure.

Boring news? With the Ashes going on its anything but boring.

Lets go out swinging the bat and declare around lunch time then have two sessions to get the Ashes won and sealed by the end of the day.
    There is no reason not to aim to bat all day today and all day tomorrow. Contrary to what the Aussies might think, this is not a T20 game.
    LOL! Yes my tongue was somewhat planted firmly in my cheek with that suggestion. The last thing I expect Captain Cook to do is declare on day two of any Test.
    I'd love to see Root get a double-hundred+. His achievement has been inevitably overshadowed by Broad's and Stokes' catch, but I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that he's the best batsman I've ever seen playing for England (I'm too young to have seen Compton or Hutton).
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Mr. Antifrank, difficult.

Earlier it was a bit harder to keep track of, and, to be honest, after I released Journey to Altmortis I stopped paying attention to that. I do know Bane of Souls has sold the most by a distance (in four figures). I wouldn't give a precise answer even if I knew, mind.

Sales have been insufficient but the good reviews (one book averaging 4*, the other two 4.5*) hopefully means if/when I sell more those earlier releases get a look from new readers.

At the risk of giving you an essay in response to a line, I've also got many things lined up for release. Temple (re-release) and Treasure should be out this year, Kingdom Asunder is 95% done, Sir Edric's Kingdom should be finished this year. I've also gotten quite far along planning Traitor's Prize [sequel to Kingdom Asunder] and Sir Edric and the Plague. If I can maintain momentum of releases, (and I've got three short stories waiting thumbs up/down for anthologies as well as the monthly Zodiac Eclipse episodes) then I'm hoping that'll translate into momentum of sales.

Lots of downsides to writing but one big up side is that if the next book sells big, the readers may then look at the earlier works and perhaps buy them. That's also an advantage to writing series over stand-alones (although stand-alone books are easier to write).

Edited extra bit: Mr. K, it's over on Amazon, search for Thaddeus White ;)

Edited extra bit 2: Mr. Borough, sounds like a cunning tip.

Is it me, or are lots of long shots being tradeable at worst and actually winning at best?

Four figure sales are very respectable.

Having just looked at the reviews on Amazon of Bane Of Souls, I'm disappointed to see that it doesn't have any unnecessary violence or sex. Does it have any necessary violence or sex?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,160
    JEO said:

First the encryption ban, now this. The government really does not understand technology one bit.

https://torrentfreak.com/itunes-is-illegal-under-uk-copyright-law-150805/

Urrrm, isn't that the government trying to improve things for us (by allowing us to copy for personal use), and nasty vested interests overturning the new regulations at the High Court?
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    DavidL said:

MikeK said:

Ho - hum! Another day of boring news that seems to go around in circles in the holiday period:

1. The cattle in Calais

Lets go out swinging the bat and declare around lunch time then have two sessions to get the Ashes won and sealed by the end of the day.
    There is no reason not to aim to bat all day today and all day tomorrow. Contrary to what the Aussies might think, this is not a T20 game.
    I agree. As we saw at Lords when roles were reversed a very long and miserable time in the field brings wickets. Australia are a bowler short (at least). England should be able to score at a decent rate while keeping them running around and grind them to dust.

I hope England are bowled out today because it would mean that there is still enough in the pitch but I will be disappointed if it is before tea.
    They blooming well better bat all/ most of today. I am going tomorrow. I want to be there on the day the Ashes are regained.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

CD13 said:

Charles,

"Dear Lord And Father of Mankind is one of my favorite hymns."

Mine too.

John Greenleaf Whittier ... crazy name, crazy fella, as Private Eye used to say.

I listened to the Salvation Army band play it in Canterbury High St recently, it was wonderful

If you attend church, you will hear it regularly.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,450

DavidL said:

MikeK said:

1. The cattle in Calais

I agree. As we saw at Lords when roles were reversed a very long and miserable time in the field brings wickets. Australia are a bowler short (at least). England should be able to score at a decent rate while keeping them running around and grind them to dust.

I hope England are bowled out today because it would mean that there is still enough in the pitch but I will be disappointed if it is before tea.
    They blooming well better bat all/ most of today. I am going tomorrow. I want to be there on the day the Ashes are regained.
    I was at 3 days of Edgebasten and saw an entire test! Didn't expect that. I think most likely you will have a short day tomorrow but hopefully a result you can treasure.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,017
    Mr. Antifrank, for an initial self-published book, I agree.

No sex (I'm British), but there is a good helping of violence and a Midsomer level murder rate. There's also no sex (some references only) but even more violence in Journey to Altmortis.

For sexytime, see Sir Edric [the first sexual reference is the first sentence of the first page].
  • Options

CD13 said:

Charles,

Mine too.

John Greenleaf Whittier ... crazy name, crazy fella, as Private Eye used to say.

I listened to the Salvation Army band play it in Canterbury High St recently, it was wonderful

It's a good tune but....
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    JEO said:

First the encryption ban, now this. The government really does not understand technology one bit.

To be fair, that's the High Court rather than the Gov.

It is also insanely stupid and means that pretty much everyone with a computing device is a criminal.

It will just increase disrespect for the law and copyright. Stupid is too polite a word for it.

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    antifrank said:

Earlier it was a bit harder to keep track of, and, to be honest, after I released Journey to Altmortis I stopped paying attention to that. I do know Bane of Souls has sold the most by a distance (in four figures). I wouldn't give a precise answer even if I knew, mind.

Sales have been insufficient but the good reviews (one book averaging 4*, the other two 4.5*) hopefully means if/when I sell more those earlier releases get a look from new readers.

At the risk of giving you an essay in response to a line, I've also got many things lined up for release. Temple (re-release) and Treasure should be out this year, Kingdom Asunder is 95% done, Sir Edric's Kingdom should be finished this year. I've also gotten quite far along planning Traitor's Prize [sequel to Kingdom Asunder] and Sir Edric and the Plague. If I can maintain momentum of releases, (and I've got three short stories waiting thumbs up/down for anthologies as well as the monthly Zodiac Eclipse episodes) then I'm hoping that'll translate into momentum of sales.

Lots of downsides to writing but one big up side is that if the next book sells big, the readers may then look at the earlier works and perhaps buy them. That's also an advantage to writing series over stand-alones (although stand-alone books are easier to write).

Is it me, or are lots of long shots being tradeable at worst and actually winning at best?

Having just looked at the reviews on Amazon of Bane Of Souls, I'm disappointed to see that it doesn't have any unnecessary violence or sex. Does it have any necessary violence or sex?
    I must point out to Morris and others that when "A Game of Thrones was first published in 1996 its sales were down in 4 figures. Sales picked up drastically when "A Clash of Kings" was published. So Morris is in good company; of course a celebrity endorsment would work wonders.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

@chrisdeerin: Now Corbyn wants to nationalise the energy companies. Tommy Sheridan says: 'I think that's going a bit far.'
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Not often I agree with Tommy Sheridan
    Scott_P said:

@chrisdeerin: Now Corbyn wants to nationalise the energy companies. Tommy Sheridan says: 'I think that's going a bit far.'
  • Options
    Thanks Antifrank for highlighting this. These are serious figures from the party. http://news.sky.com/story/1531708/labour-half-eligible-to-vote-are-new-sign-ups

The new recruits won't all be Corbyn supporters, but I just can't see thousands and thousands of people desperately signing up and to vote for some of the other candidates. I think the current price on Corbyn has value in light of these significant figures. If he gets an average 65% of new recruits (and there's still next week to factor in) then he could even win this thing on the first round with just 35% of pre-election party members' first preferences.

Clearly the more his campaign signs up the fewer second and third preferences he needs. I now think he should be odds on. The 15/8, 13/8 and 7/4s all look generous - particularly to those of us who missed the big price drops earlier in the contest.

http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/next-labour-leader
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Mr. K, by coincidence, one thing I read in George RR Martin's blog has stuck with me. He was doing a book signing, I think in Germany in the 1990s, and almost no-one turned up. It's reassuring that even from such an inauspicious start, things can improve dramatically if the writing is good enough (that said, I can't afford to be complacent).

Mr. Hopkins, it's demented. Telling people they can't back up their work by law just means many will ignore the law.

Of course, I always obey the law.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,021

Thanks Antifrank for highlighting this. These are serious figures from the party. http://news.sky.com/story/1531708/labour-half-eligible-to-vote-are-new-sign-ups

The new recruits won't all be Corbyn supporters, but I just can't see thousands and thousands of people desperately signing up and to vote for some of the other candidates. I think the current price on Corbyn has value in light of these significant figures. If he gets an average 65% of new recruits (and there's still next week to factor in) then he could even win this thing on the first round with just 35% of pre-election party members' first preferences.

Clearly the more his campaign signs up the fewer second and third preferences he needs. I now think he should be odds on. The 15/8, 13/8 and 7/4s all look generous - particularly to those of us who missed the big price drops earlier in the contest.

Unfortunately, you're probably right. However, I wonder how many of the sign-ups are people like me: former members who left the party following the election of Ed Miliband, and have now taken out affiliate membership in order to support candidates who have some prospect of electability?
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352
    Mr Dancer,

While you're around and so am I, may I pick your brains?

After the slightly geeky 'An ever rolling Stream' (note the hymn), I've tried to write a crime thriller (The shadow beneath). Most mainstream publishers seem to only want agent-submitted books, so we're talking small presses.

I've submitted specimen chapters and I've a had a few requests to see the full novel (still waiting for a couple to come back), but I suspect you need to hit upon someone who likes your own idiosyncrasies. So self-publishing advice for a dummy is very welcome.

Anyway, I put the first chapter on a review site called youwriteon and it came in the top ten (don't know how many use this site) and I 'won' a free set-up by Feedaread. As it cost nothing, they've set it up in what appears a publish on demand scheme.

I doubt if it's sold any as it seems expensive compared to an e-book (and I've not advertised it at all). I don't count this site as I'm not suggesting anyone reads it.

I'm not techy, what are your views? Especially as I'm only doing it for fun.

PS Sir Edric is very good.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

JEO said:

It is also insanely stupid and means that pretty much everyone with a computing device is a criminal.

It will just increase disrespect for the law and copyright. Stupid is too polite a word for it.

As the article notes this was something the coalition government actually corrected (about ten years too late). Whilst clearly some recording artists wanted to try their luck, the groups representing the vast majority of the music industry have previously said they would take no action against those "infringing" copyright in this manner.

The Department for Business, Innovation and Skills said when introducing the new regulations that they would cause only zero or insignificant harm, thus making compensation unnecessary. But Mr Justice Green, sitting in London, ruled last month that the evidence relied on by the government simply did not justify the claim that the harm would be “de minimis”. On Friday, in a further decision, he said: “It is clear that I should quash the regulations. I make clear this covers the entirety of the regulations and all the rights and obligations contained therein.”

The cost claimed by the applicants? Just £58m.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    MikeK said:

watford30 said:

MikeK said:

UKIP Isle of Wight ‏@Iainmckie_UKIP 28m28 minutes ago
    #isleofwight MP Andrew Turner declined to attend a public meeting regarding the future of the Island's jeopardised railway.

MP probably at Trent Bridge, the rotter!

I expect UKIP are demanding that the line revert to steam, and Third Class carriages are reintroduced for foreigners.
    Actually UKIP have purloined the Rocket from the Science Museum and making it ready for use.
    Are you going to reintroduce the flagmen as well?
  • Options
    Cooper goes nuclear:

"Labour can’t allow David Cameron to get away with this and carry on like nothing has happened – he is taking the British public for fools. We have to confront him directly on every lie and broken promise – that’s exactly what I plan to do in parliament and across the country."
  • Options

Cooper goes nuclear:

"Labour can’t allow David Cameron to get away with this and carry on like nothing has happened – he is taking the British public for fools. We have to confront him directly on every lie and broken promise – that’s exactly what I plan to do in parliament and across the country."

It's a better approach to the leadership contest in my opinion than Andy Burnham's: crank up the vehemence without tying yourself down to inconvenient policies.
  • Options
    Mr. CD13, thanks :)

You can always go agent-hunting as well as/instead of going for small presses.

Personally, if you've got requests to see the full thing I'd consider that a substantial positive. You should make plain that it's up (in a limited way, at least) on feedaread [never heard of that, so can't comment specifically] and that you'd be willing to take it down if your work goes through a traditional route.

Nothing to stop a self-published book becoming traditionally published (as will happen with Sir Edric's Temple).
  • Options
    edited August 2015

CD13 said:

Charles,

Mine too.

The best of all, though, is Anne Harrison's version of the Song of Zechariah set to Corvedale.

Bless the Lord, the God of Israel,
    who has come to set us free.
    He has raised for us a Saviour
    sprung from royal David’s tree.
    Through his prophets God had spoken
    of the hope the Christ would bring;
    of his faithfulness and mercy
    let each generation sing.

Long ago God made a promise
    he would set his people free,
    that in all our life and worship
    we might know true liberty,
    to be holy, to be righteous
    in his sight throughout our days;
    now this child will be a herald
    making ready all God’s ways.

Let all people know salvation
    through forgiveness of their sin,
    as our God in his compassion
    bids a shining dawn begin.
    So may all who dwell in darkness
    see the shadows disappear
    while he guides our feet in pathways
    where his peace is ever near.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,018
    antifrank said:

Cooper goes nuclear:

It's a better approach to the leadership contest in my opinion than Andy Burnham's: crank up the vehemence without tying yourself down to inconvenient policies.
    Be fair, Burnham is attaching himself to plenty of bands and wagons.
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191
    antifrank said:

Cooper goes nuclear:

I thought Labour had tested "slightly hypocritic hyperbole" to destruction just a few months ago.

I'll be honest. Of all the approaches, and I include Corbynista numptery, this is the one I fear least.
  • Options
    I might be wrong, but I feel like the Burnham price could go all Australian at any moment...
  • Options
    MikeK said:

antifrank said:

I must point out to Morris and others that when "A Game of Thrones was first published in 1996 its sales were down in 4 figures. Sales picked up drastically when "A Clash of Kings" was published. So Morris is in good company; of course a celebrity endorsment would work wonders.
    Indeed never underestimate the value of a celebrity endorsement.

I picked up Game of Thrones in the late 90s when it was endorsed by the now late Robert Jordan (author of the Wheel of Time series). For a very long time Jordan's endorsement was printed across the front of all of Martin's books which would have attracted many fantasy fans from then.
  • Options
    Plato said:

Not often I agree with Tommy Sheridan

Scott_P said:

LOL. Excellent.
  • Options

Cooper goes nuclear:

Contrast with previous shadow Home Secys removing Home Secys? How many did Cooper get removed?
    Answer 0.

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Now it is gone, it is worth considering quite how funding of the delivery of support to such troubled kids in South London became seemingly dependent upon the largesse of successive Prime Minister.

It was during Brown’s years that the curious emergence of the Office for the Third Sector occurred. Hazel Blears, the then Secretary for Communities and Local Government felt that, given the expanded role of charities delivering public services, the Government would benefit from having needed a dedicated strategy for the sector. Enter Ed Miliband, a trusted confidante of Brown, who was duly appointed to be the first Minister for the Third Sector. Under his stewardship this newly formed “Office” acquired a responsibility for grant making to charities, seemingly as an end in itself, and on a grand scale.
    http://www.capx.co/why-camila-batmanghelidjh-had-access-to-a-prime-ministerial-slush-fund/
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478

Cooper goes nuclear:

Yes yes. Yvette Cooper is right. And there's a lot more grist for her to work on. What a pity EdM didn't play on that.

I'm now convinced Y C should get it.
    But she mustn't, I feel, just be negative.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154

Bat-shit crazy.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    Pulpstar said:

antifrank said:

Cooper goes nuclear:

Be fair, Burnham is attaching himself to plenty of bands and wagons.
    A basic bit of advice for Burnham - stop wearing suits !!

Farron on Calais:

http://www.libdemvoice.org/tim-farron-on-calais-refugees-these-are-bright-educated-people-that-just-want-to-create-a-life-for-themselves-47067.html#utm_source=tweet&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=twitter

John McT makes some good points re Australia:

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2015/08/the-calais-crisis-needs-a-better-response-than-fences-and-dogs-prime-minister/
  • Options

Cooper goes nuclear:

What was she actually talking about?

Cooper desperately needs to show a bit of passion to go with the brains. But it should not be contrived.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474

Cooper goes nuclear:

What's she going on about, and is she whinging in her faux Northern accent, or the one she's used 'down south' for the last 30 odd years?
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352
    edited August 2015
    Mr Dancer,

Thanks for the advice. I tried one or two agents but to be fair to them, at my age, I'm hardly one for the future.

Mind you, George Martin wasn't either, but I doubt if I'm in that category. And I enjoyed the writing, fiction made a change from scientific papers (I won't make the obvious joke).

Anyway, best of luck with Sir Edric.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Bat-shit crazy.
    Now I think he's trying to not get elected.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Cooper goes nuclear:

Cooper desperately needs to show a bit of passion to go with the brains. But it should not be contrived.
    “It’s time the prime minister and George Osborne were held to account for deceiving people and letting them down… the Tories have lied to the electorate.” she says.

The nine broken promises Cooper has pinpointed are:

Cuts in child tax credits – Cameron said he wouldn’t do this but now there are £4.5bn of cuts to child tax credits planned
    Cuts to child benefit – Cameron said there would be no cuts apart from a two-year freeze, it will not be a four-year freeze.

[OK these two make sense to focus on]

He has cancelled rail electrification plans.
    He’s cut back on the number of affordable homes that will be built – it’s estimated 14,000 fewer a year.
    He’s delayed deciding on a new airport runway in the south-east.
    He’s also put back the date which tax-free childcare will be introduced, from 2015 to 2017.
    He won’t give public official three days off work a year for volunteering – a pledge he made at the election.

The social care cap won’t be introduced until 2020.
    Reversed pledge for government transparency. [eh?]
  • Options
    Shadsy has a market over at Ladbrokes offering 6/1 on any candidate winning the Labour leadership in the first round. I think given the figures out this morning that there might now be some value in Corbyn doing just that. https://sports.ladbrokes.com/en-gb/betting/politics/next-labour-party-leader/next-permanent-labour-party-leader/214477998/
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited August 2015
    DavidL said:

Cooper goes nuclear:

Respect.
    It's in 2-day's Grauniad, for instance. (Amazingly, it's not all about cricket). I think you can sometimes perceive dissembling from DC even before he's finished making a promise. That's just my opinion of course.
  • Options
    England should have a go at this record for 5 day tests:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/63978.html
  • Options
    Good morning PBers, Greetings from sunny Ilford.
    Amusing bit of gossip in this week's email from Popbitch on Sir Ted Heath.
    It involves Omar Sharrif and Captain Bob no less.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I might be wrong, but I feel like the Burnham price could go all Australian at any moment...

What - 60s?
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    It becomes ever more baffling how Labour could think that "Votes for Money" was a good idea. When it was last in vogue, rotten boroughs and all that, it worked because it was the voter who got paid. As the reach of democracy extended it was inevitable that rotten boroughs would disappear.

Making the voter pay for the right to vote (which seems as undemocratic as paying the voter to vote) actually encourages manipulation. How can a process which is technically open to everyone, but conditional on them being prepared to describe themselves as Labour supporters and then forking out £3, be considered democratic. Any attempt to validate the first part of the conditionality would also breach the anonymity of the process; not as bad as the old union "show of hands" practice but certainly not desirable in any truly democratic process involving substantial numbers of voters. Is Labour a political party or a private members club?
  • Options

Shadsy has a market over at Ladbrokes offering 6/1 on any candidate winning the Labour leadership in the first round. I think given the figures out this morning that there might now be some value in Corbyn doing just that. https://sports.ladbrokes.com/en-gb/betting/politics/next-labour-party-leader/next-permanent-labour-party-leader/214477998/

I think the difference between the 2.5 and the 7 is too great.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Bat-shit crazy.
    Now I think he's trying to not get elected.
    I'll believe he is still serious until he offers the free owls....
  • Options

DavidL said:

Cooper goes nuclear:

“It’s time the prime minister and George Osborne were held to account for deceiving people and letting them down… the Tories have lied to the electorate.” she says.

Cuts in child tax credits – Cameron said he wouldn’t do this but now there are £4.5bn of cuts to child tax credits planned
    Cuts to child benefit – Cameron said there would be no cuts apart from a two-year freeze, it will not be a four-year freeze.

He’s cut back on the number of affordable homes that will be built – it’s estimated 14,000 fewer a year.
    He’s also put back the date which tax-free childcare will be introduced, from 2015 to 2017.
    He won’t give public official three days off work a year for volunteering – a pledge he made at the election.

I thought that the Tories really could not have been clearer that there were going to be welfare cuts before the election. In fact they indicated that they would be somewhat larger than what has been announced to date. Did Cameron really promise the CTC were going to be exempt? It seems unlikely.

If you say you are going to freeze CB for 2 years is it a lie to decide to extend that to 4? And does it make any difference when inflation is at zero?

There are some points there that can validly be made but it strikes me as a little bit desperate. And I have no doubt at all she is Labour's best option.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,160

DavidL said:

Cooper goes nuclear:

They have not cancelled railway electrification: two major schemes are paused (whilst the GWML continues) because of Network Rail's sheer ineptitude. AIUI, the same level (from memory £38 billion) of investment is still being made in CP5.

I wonder why Labour are keen to blame the government for this, and not the nationalised Network Rail, which has utterly failed to keep its side of the bargain. Does anyone have any ideas?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,989
    edited August 2015
    Here goes for Day 2, a fiver on Australia at 28 and three quid on the draw at 42 makes for an all-green book, after getting on England and laying the draw for fifty quid each yesterday.

So, do we bat it out all day and set them 600 to avoid an innings defeat, or do we bat hard this morning and declare just before lunch, aiming to have the Ashes back by tea?
  • Options

DavidL said:

Cooper goes nuclear:

I wonder why Labour are keen to blame the government for this, and not the nationalised Network Rail, which has utterly failed to keep its side of the bargain. Does anyone have any ideas?
    Tricky (he says while being mesmerised by Cricinfo).
  • Options
    The post would be a bit long if I replied, so suffice it to say:

- Cameron did promise no cuts in child tax credits, but a while before the election;
    - More generally, I think if you want to accuse people of "lying" you make it as clear as you can possibly make it. You don't need nine things, you need three.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Here goes for Day 2, a fiver on Australia at 28 and three quid on the draw at 42 makes for an all-green book, after getting on England and laying the draw for fifty quid each yesterday.

So, do we bat it out all day and set them 600 to avoid an innings defeat, or do we bat hard this morning and declare just before lunch, aiming to have the Ashes back by tea?

Declare at 8 down maybe - save a couple of the bowlers from doing any batting work.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,448
    saddened said:

saddened said:

Jonathan said:

Charles said:

To be honest I suspect in this case it is lazy journalism and poor editing rather than any great conspiracy.

You may be right. When the BBC does a programme about the polar ice cap increase and how it threatens the mantra they have been spouting about global warming, then I'll concur.
    "The fact is that there is an overwhelming consensus in the scientific community about global warming and its causes. There are some exceptions, but the number of sceptics is getting smaller rather than growing.

In January 2009, a poll of 3146 earth scientists found that 82% answered yes to the question: “Do you think human activity is a significant contributing factor in changing mean global temperatures?”. Of the 77 climatologists actively engaged in research, 75 answered yes (97.4%).

The scientists most likely to answer no were petroleum geologists and meteorologists."

So why should the BBC not report the facts, as it reported the increase in volume of the Arctic ice cap? The scientists working for oil companies are much more likely to have an agenda than the BBC.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn11654-climate-myths-many-leading-scientists-question-climate-change#.VZ5eW_lVhHw
    I agree. The BBC should report facts, opinions by scientists are not facts. Scientists used tho think the world was square, that the Sun went round the earth. There were 364 economists who wrote a letter to the Times.. They were wrong too.
    Daft comment. It was scientists who died asserting that the Earth went around the Sun.
    Ignorant comment, missing out a response to the other points. Was it a certain Mr Campbell, who advocated searching any opposition piece for minor inaccuracies and only addressing those rather than the wider point?
    Perhaps you could let us know of scientists who thought the world was square then? New one on me.
    He obviously meant flat, is that a new one on you?
    If he meant flat then he should have written it.

In any case, it's an urban myth that scientists believed the world was flat; it was known to be spherical (or near-spherical - hills and all that) at least as far back as the ancient Greeks.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Cooper goes nuclear:

I thought that the Tories really could not have been clearer that there were going to be welfare cuts before the election. In fact they indicated that they would be somewhat larger than what has been announced to date. Did Cameron really promise the CTC were going to be exempt? It seems unlikely.

If you say you are going to freeze CB for 2 years is it a lie to decide to extend that to 4? And does it make any difference when inflation is at zero?

There are some points there that can validly be made but it strikes me as a little bit desperate. And I have no doubt at all she is Labour's best option.
    The quote from Cameron was very well worded - he denied that child benefit would be reduced to two children, and that tax credits would be removed from existing children. Both of which were correct.

I think the question he was asked was about CTC being reduced though, hence the confusion.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    edited August 2015

JEO said:

As the article notes this was something the coalition government actually corrected (about ten years too late). Whilst clearly some recording artists wanted to try their luck, the groups representing the vast majority of the music industry have previously said they would take no action against those "infringing" copyright in this manner.

The Department for Business, Innovation and Skills said when introducing the new regulations that they would cause only zero or insignificant harm, thus making compensation unnecessary. But Mr Justice Green, sitting in London, ruled last month that the evidence relied on by the government simply did not justify the claim that the harm would be “de minimis”. On Friday, in a further decision, he said: “It is clear that I should quash the regulations. I make clear this covers the entirety of the regulations and all the rights and obligations contained therein.”

The cost claimed by the applicants? Just £58m.
    Once again we seem to be unclear as to who runs the country, clearly the judges feel they do. Presumably if they can't take the hint with regulations made under delegated legislation then it is incumbent on the government to attach it to an appropriate piece of primary legislation and beat them over the head with it.

Maybe its time for a Judicial Reform (Get your tanks off our lawn) Act 2016 ;)
  • Options

It really does look like he is going to win this thing.

And it will be all down to leaving the voting pool open. That - and some ill-conceived charity to get him on the ballot. Both of which are own goals.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

600 & then you have 3 days to bowl them
  • Options
    Charles said:

Sandpit said:

600 & then you have 3 days to bowl them
    It's very tough to see how Australia possibly draw or win.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Declare at 8 down maybe - save a couple of the bowlers from doing any batting work.
    I agree - get to three hundred ahead, save the bowlers if possible. Play on a bit maybe 350 ahead if bowlers aren't necessary.

Set them another record for the victory.
  • Options

Unfortunately, you're probably right. However, I wonder how many of the sign-ups are people like me: former members who left the party following the election of Ed Miliband, and have now taken out affiliate membership in order to support candidates who have some prospect of electability?
    Bear in mind there is only one candidate that is actively encouraging supporters to pay their £3 and sign up and that is Corbyn. I haven't seen any of the others trying to gather that support.

I think the 65% above will be right... If not more.

Corbyn us running campaign where supporters try to sign up another supporter everyday.
  • Options

- Cameron did promise no cuts in child tax credits, but a while before the election;
    - More generally, I think if you want to accuse people of "lying" you make it as clear as you can possibly make it. You don't need nine things, you need three.

Maximum. It is a bit of a shotgun and just looks like you are opposing everything for the sake of it. Still hope she wins though. The country needs an electable and credible opposition. She is the closest we have.
  • Options

saddened said:

saddened said:

Jonathan said:

Charles said:

To be honest I suspect in this case it is lazy journalism and poor editing rather than any great conspiracy.

You may be right. When the BBC does a programme about the polar ice cap increase and how it threatens the mantra they have been spouting about global warming, then I'll concur.
    "The fact is that there is an overwhelming consensus in the scientific community about global warming and its causes. There are some exceptions, but the number of sceptics is getting smaller rather than growing.

In January 2009, a poll of 3146 earth scientists found that 82% answered yes to the question: “Do you think human activity is a significant contributing factor in changing mean global temperatures?”. Of the 77 climatologists actively engaged in research, 75 answered yes (97.4%).

The scientists most likely to answer no were petroleum geologists and meteorologists."

So why should the BBC not report the facts, as it reported the increase in volume of the Arctic ice cap? The scientists working for oil companies are much more likely to have an agenda than the BBC.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn11654-climate-myths-many-leading-scientists-question-climate-change#.VZ5eW_lVhHw
    I agree. The BBC should report facts, opinions by scientists are not facts. Scientists used tho think the world was square, that the Sun went round the earth. There were 364 economists who wrote a letter to the Times.. They were wrong too.
    Daft comment. It was scientists who died asserting that the Earth went around the Sun.
    Ignorant comment, missing out a response to the other points. Was it a certain Mr Campbell, who advocated searching any opposition piece for minor inaccuracies and only addressing those rather than the wider point?
    Perhaps you could let us know of scientists who thought the world was square then? New one on me.

In any case, it's an urban myth that scientists believed the world was flat; it was known to be spherical (or near-spherical - hills and all that) at least as far back as the ancient Greeks.
    Chaucer refers to the earth being round. In the Middle Ages they had a decent idea of the size of the earth too. The concern if they sailed west was not so much falling off the end of the earth, they feared running out of supplies at sea before they got to the East Indies.
  • Options
    http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/current/match/63920.html

Can anyone beat 274 ahead after both 1st innings completed and a reversal in the match has taken place ?
  • Options

saddened said:

saddened said:

Jonathan said:

Charles said:

I seem to remember that one of the ancient Greeks worked out the circumference of the earth by some measurements of the curvature (using a mast IIRC) and got astonishingly close.
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    Carly is running for president ? After HP I wouldn't trust her to clean my car
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Maximum. It is a bit of a shotgun and just looks like you are opposing everything for the sake of it. Still hope she wins though. The country needs an electable and credible opposition. She is the closest we have.
    There does need to be an opposition to the government, but this sort of hyperbolic squealing at the PM is not the right way to go about it.

The opposition have to be able to answer the question of how they would balance the books.
    It's fair to argue for higher taxes and higher spending, but dishonest to support the latter without the former.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

One of our bowlers seems to be having a bit of fun batting this morning.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Young Mark Wood seems to be enjoying his opportunity with the bat this morning.

Edit: DavidL, snap!
    Edit2: And now he watches the batsman at the other end walk back! Great knock from Root though, really rooted the Aussies!
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

There does need to be an opposition to the government, but this sort of hyperbolic squealing at the PM is not the right way to go about it.

The opposition have to be able to answer the question of how they would balance the books.
    It's fair to argue for higher taxes and higher spending, but dishonest to support the latter without the former.
    She has an audience to play to and she has given them precious little to lap up to date. But I do agree it should be better targeted.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Tailor made for the likes of Stokes and Buttler, this....
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Can anyone beat 274 ahead after both 1st innings completed and a reversal in the match has taken place ?

http://m.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/current/match/63580.html
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Edit2: And now he watches the batsman at the other end walk back! Great knock from Root though, really rooted the Aussies!

Stokes could do with some runs. He can't just be in the team as a miracle fielder.
  • Options

She has a very odd look about her, too much plastic surgery perhaps?! The way she attacks Hillary Clinton constantly is akin to a opposition backbencher heckling the PM, they're in different leagues and she refuses to acknowledge that.
  • Options
    We could do with one of these 2 scoring an Australian.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

One of our bowlers seems to be having a bit of fun batting this morning.
    Actually by sticking him in as nightwatchman now it means he has a break before bowling again !

Smart :)
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Ouch! That scorecard must be the textbook example of why not to declare.
  • Options
    Australian Starc bowling well this morning. It can't be the ghost of Eddard come to life, can it?
  • Options
    Mr. L, surely six runs is a poor target?
  • Options

Mr. L, surely six runs is a poor target?

I meant 60 actually.

Still hard to come to terms with isn't t?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Stokes could do with some runs. He can't just be in the team as a miracle fielder.
    you are now officially banned from commenting on the cricket!
  • Options
    Oh well, looks like England will be bowling before lunch anyway. Mitchell Starc the only one of the 11 Australians with the right to smile.
  • Options
    Pretty poor effort by Buttler. With Bairstow already in the team he should have been a bit more careful than that.

England out by lunch?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Ouch! That scorecard must be the textbook example of why not to declare.
    Yes, a poor move if you are batting 4th since the time argument isn't there as you'll get the runs you would have got in the 4th innings in the 2nd.
  • Options
    Starc has bowled excellently. He's the only one that is giving Australia a prayer in the match.
  • Options

She has a very odd look about her, too much plastic surgery perhaps?! The way she attacks Hillary Clinton constantly is akin to a opposition backbencher heckling the PM, they're in different leagues and she refuses to acknowledge that.
    If she acknowledged that then she wouldn't be running.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    :-( Have England been celebrating too early? Aussies looking up for it.
  • Options
    England doing their best to let Australia back into the game.
  • Options
    Oh dear! Starc seems to have Ice in his hand this morning. Good for decapitation.
  • Options
    DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106
    England seem to be well on top in the Test Match but stranger things have happened.

For example, the County Championship game between Warwickshire and Hampshire at Birmingham in 1922.

In the first Innings, Warwickshire were 223 all out, Hampshire 15 all out (Yes, fifteen).

Following on, Hampshire were 188 for six, still needing 30 runs to avoid an innings defeat.
    However the Hampshire tail wagged big-time, including a ninth wicket partnership of 177, to finish 521 all out.

Warwickshire made 158 all out in their second innings to leave Hampshire the winners by 155 runs!
  • Options
    edited August 2015

England doing their best to let Australia back into the game.

England have got 60 so far this morning!

Lay the draw if you want free money...
  • Options
    Laid the draw at 40s to equalise my Aussie red last night. Do Aus have a 5% chance or so to win this ?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Starc has bowled excellently. He's the only one that is giving Australia a prayer in the match.

Yes he has. England have been rather too cavalier though. Almost Australian.
  • Options

MikeK said:

1. The cattle in Calais

LOL! Yes my tongue was somewhat planted firmly in my cheek with that suggestion. The last thing I expect Captain Cook to do is declare on day two of any Test.
    Did I jynx us? Cook may not need to declare.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Laid the draw at 40s to equalise my Aussie red last night. Do Aus have a 5% chance or so to win this ?

The lead is now 275. That is a hell of a lot of runs. On a wicket that is moving around as much as this I would say not. Wouldn't say no to a few more though.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,659
    edited August 2015
    Betting post

You can still get 5/1 on Spurs beating Manchester United tomorrow.

Van Gaal has dropped De Gea for tomorrow's match, and it maybe a kid that ends up playing in goal, as Romero might not be ready, and Valdes is in the books of badness.

Also I like the 11/1 on Swansea beating Chelsea
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

No. It's probably sub-1%. They need to score at least 450 and then bowl England out (as well as taking the remaining wickets). There is time and these things have happened before but only once in a blue moon.
  • Options
    Talking about taking the easy way to self destruction:
    http://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/6287/sweden-military

According to a 2013 statement by Sweden's Supreme Commander Sverker Göransson, Sweden can, at best and in five years, defend itself in one place for one week.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    Disappointing from England. Should have been aiming for 400+

That said, the Aussies may be tempted to chase a lead of 300 if they get in and that will be entertaining.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492

Betting post

You can still get 5/1 on Spurs beating Manchester United tomorrow.

Van Gaal has dropped De Gea for tomorrow's match, and it maybe a kid that ends up playing in goal, as Romero might not be ready, and Valdes is the books of badness.

Also I like the 11/1 on Swansea beating Chelsea

As a long suffering and pessimistic Spurs fan I agree, could be a good time to catch Utd. With maybe 1 exception at CB Spurs will have more or the less the same team that finished well last year, 5/1 a decent price.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Pulpstar said:

Odds of 15/1-20/1 seem about right. Much stranger things have happened in cricket, and for all the laughing and gloating there's still a lot of class in the baggy green caps.