Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Boris slips to third for next leader in latest ConHome surv

SystemSystem Posts: 11,686
edited August 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Boris slips to third for next leader in latest ConHome survey

It’s perhaps hard to credit now but only a few weeks ago on the morning of the budget Boris was still strong betting favourite for next CON leader and Osborne could be had for 5/1 or longer.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    If you are in spitting distance of Liam Fox you're in trouble.
    Let's all laugh at Boris, and not in the way he wants us to
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    Lay Javid. Lay Fox. Back Hunt.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,780
    Many never thought Boris would have gotten as far as he has, were it not for the Tories exceeding their expectations he would be a challenger for the leadership right now, he shouldn't be written off...but he's been high profile a long time, his star had to wane eventually, and he has issues particularly in terms of the parliamentary party. A bridge too far, I'd have thought.

Although if he did win and then became PM it would be hilarious for another Old Etonian to lead the country, when we are supposed to be rising up against such elites.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,980

He's having a bit of a rough ride all of the sudden. Appears to have pissed off the medics with some rather cack-handed announcements, and the news today indicates an NHS staffing crisis may be on the horizon. Things have gone very well for him since taking over from Lansley, but his fortunes are on the turn I think.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,980
    I'm a little surprised Priti Patel is not mentioned. She surely has to be ahead of Nicky Morgan?
  • Options
    These Con Home polls are a joke. Sample of 700 self selecting people who may or may not be members of the Conservative party.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,340
    I don't get Boris in the same way that Tories don't get Corbyn, so I can't read how he'll go down with Tory members, but he's always seemed an unlikely inhabitant of Number 10; Osborne, though, is very dependent on economic success - he is the continuity candidate and whether that will seem a good idea in 3 years or so is debatable.

FPT:

Cyclefree said:

Really Nick? The Labour Party may be about to elect as leader someone who has chosen to be friends with terrorist organizations with explicitly anit-semitic and genocidal goals and who do not believe in democracy but in the establishment of a theocracy with no room for minorities of any kind.

I would expect Labour to be against fascism, anti-semitism and the use of violence to get your political aims not to call them "friends". That you think this is something of no moment suggests, to be polite, some complacency on your part.

How do you think such links will look when the next Islamist atrocity happens in the UK or to British citizens?
    --------------------

I'm sometimes maybe too charitable, but the interview that he gave on this point which excited many here was convincing to me - as he said, he talks to anyone, including the expansionist Israeli right, and reserves the right to disagree with them, as he does with Hamas and Hezbollah, but thinks we have to engage with them. I think that's normally correct, in the same way that I supported talking to and ultimately signing an agreement with the IRA, who I've always seen as bonkers - either you engage with persistent enemies or you defeat them.

We might be able to defeat ISIS and they don't seem to have much to talk about, but that's the exception: is it really possible to imagine a Middle East settlement that doesn't involve part of Hamas? And talking to a pro-Palestinian audience it's sensible to be polite about the people you're trying to engage. I've known JC a long time, and his modus operandi is to treat everyone as an interesting friend who needs to be engaged. In the same way, I support talking to BNP supporters, and one of my closest friends has voted for them, though he doesn't now.

I'm citing the interview because people react to it it so differently. Tories posting here think it shows rage and guilt; Labour people who I've talked to think it shows intelligence and courage. And the selection is not, with silly exceptions, being made by Tories, so for PB purposes it's important to recognise what is likely to affect the result.
  • Options
    Off topic. The reports of 3 police forces investigating Ted Heath starting to look ominous. Wilts, Met & Jersey.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    FPT: I note Betfair have launched a "Next Lib Dem Leader" market. (Matched: GBP 0).

Perhaps we should ask them to add "None" as a runner?
  • Options

These Con Home polls are a joke. Sample of 700 self selecting people who may or may not be members of the Conservative party.

They were very accurate on Cameron election in 2005. They are tested aganst a batch of members but are at some risk of people defining who they are unchecked in the years since.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
  • Options

I'm a little surprised Priti Patel is not mentioned. She surely has to be ahead of Nicky Morgan?

Agreed. Also missing David Davis, Jesse Norman, Graham Brady, Owen Paterson etc etc. Gove should also not be there as he continually denies he ever would stand.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Looking at the map of the general election results, Bassetlaw in Nottinghamshire is probably the southern-most constituency in England with a significant rural element that Labour was able to win.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3e/2015UKElectionMap.svg/2000px-2015UKElectionMap.svg.png
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Looking at the map of the general election results, Bassetlaw in Nottinghamshire is probably the southern-most constituency in England with a significant rural element that Labour was able to win.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3e/2015UKElectionMap.svg/2000px-2015UKElectionMap.svg.png

Oh there are still a few farms in Ilford North, near Fairlop Plain.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Javid and Boris look far overrated.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,312
    edited August 2015
    But didn't Boris win election as Uxbridge MP specifically to become Tory Leader??
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351

Dr Palmer,

The use of the term 'friends' is excusable by Jezza as long as he calls Kippers, Tories, LDs and Blairites friends too.

Someone on the previous thread mentioned that voters tend to stick to parties they once voted for with a sort of inertia; basically because the other lot still seem worse. I voted Labour throughout the eighties, even when Michael Foot was leading them, because I was never keen on Mrs Thatcher. I began voting LD in the late nineties even though Blair was probably closer to my political preferences. Now as an old git (a few months older than you), I still can't bring myself to contemplate voting Conservative.

But Corbyn? Shudder! He reminds me of my years at University in the late sixties. Ernest sociology lecturers who would accost passing science students in the manner of the "nutter on the bus."

He may be well-meaning if naive but that old aversion therapy still works.

• Options

Good afternoon, everyone.

Javid and Boris look far overrated.

The crowd is fickle, Mr Dancer.
  • Options

Hmmm... there could be another glaring reason why London voted largely for Labour....

"London bucked the national trend at the general election by voting largely for Labour. It was a curious aberration. This is an entrepreneurial city and a world centre of finance. London mostly escaped the bruising downturn and unemployment. If, as Ed Balls concedes, Ed Miliband ran an anti-business campaign, you would have thought the capital would have punished him.

Furthermore, we have a Tory Mayor who is consistently popular in the polls. Economic growth and cheerfulness, according to conventional poll wisdom, delivers the Tories. Yet London jumped the other way.

As usual, London is simply ahead of the game. The smart thing to say of our Conservative Government is that the lack of opposition is undemocratic. I tried out this line on the Prime Minister recently and he replied that the newspapers were fulfilling the role expertly. But truly, the opposition is multi-faceted. There is a youthful backlash which is the substantial base of Corbynmania. There is also an appetite for bold policies. The contempt for Conservatism is a dislike of complacency. London is a restless, energetic, confident city. "

http://www.standard.co.uk/comment/comment/sarah-sands-london-is-ahead-of-the-national-political-game-10437094.html
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Sadly, the public doesn't share the enthusiasm for Osborne to be PM that Tories have:

Do you think [name] has what it takes to be a good PM?

Boris Johnson - 32%
    Theresa May - 28%
    Andy Burnham - 27%
    George Osborne - 23%
    Yvette Cooper - 22%
    Jeremy Corbyn - 17%
    Liz Kendall - 16%
    Michael Gove - 13%

https://www.ipsos-mori.com/Assets/Docs/Poll...015-topline.pdf

https://www.ipsos-mori.com/Assets/Docs/Poll...ne-part-two.pdf
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

Agreed.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    isam said:

Hmmm... there could be another glaring reason why London voted largely for Labour....

"London bucked the national trend at the general election by voting largely for Labour. It was a curious aberration. This is an entrepreneurial city and a world centre of finance. London mostly escaped the bruising downturn and unemployment. If, as Ed Balls concedes, Ed Miliband ran an anti-business campaign, you would have thought the capital would have punished him.

Furthermore, we have a Tory Mayor who is consistently popular in the polls. Economic growth and cheerfulness, according to conventional poll wisdom, delivers the Tories. Yet London jumped the other way.

As usual, London is simply ahead of the game. The smart thing to say of our Conservative Government is that the lack of opposition is undemocratic. I tried out this line on the Prime Minister recently and he replied that the newspapers were fulfilling the role expertly. But truly, the opposition is multi-faceted. There is a youthful backlash which is the substantial base of Corbynmania. There is also an appetite for bold policies. The contempt for Conservatism is a dislike of complacency. London is a restless, energetic, confident city. "

http://www.standard.co.uk/comment/comment/sarah-sands-london-is-ahead-of-the-national-political-game-10437094.html

I mean, that sort of leads on to the other question, why do ethnic minorities disproportionately vote Labour?
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    kle4 said:

Many never thought Boris would have gotten as far as he has, were it not for the Tories exceeding their expectations he would be a challenger for the leadership right now, he shouldn't be written off...but he's been high profile a long time, his star had to wane eventually, and he has issues particularly in terms of the parliamentary party. A bridge too far, I'd have thought.

Although if he did win and then became PM it would be hilarious for another Old Etonian to lead the country, when we are supposed to be rising up against such elites.

Had the Tories lost, Boris would be a leadership candidate now because he would be an ideal Leader of the Opposition to a Miliband PM (well, maybe not ideal but certainly effective). But that's not where the country, the Tory Party or the leadership succession game is now. His boat has sailed.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013
    AndyJS said:

It looks like they won a dozen to a score further south in 2005, so southern rural areas are not the main path to victory. The real story here is the real story of the 2015 election outside Scotland: the Lib Dem wipeout, largely in southern constituencies with rural areas, which realised a Conservative majority.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,207
    On topic, I don't think Boris is PM material and I think his time has now passed.

Off topic and in response to @NickPalmer's characteristically polite reply (and with apologies to others):-

Thank you Nick for your reply.

Three points:-

1. JC has said that he will or would or has talked to the expansionist Israeli right. Except that no-one has found any evidence that he has ever done so or tried to do so or that he has called them "friends". So I am a little sceptical that this is mere politeness on his part. His friends seem to be consistently anti-Western, illiberal, anti-democratic and in a significant number of cases, anti-Semitic. This worries me. It ought to worry any decent Labour person. That it doesn't seem to also worries me.

2. My concerns do not relate to just one interview but to the range of his associations with Islamists and anti-Semites over a period.

3. How do you think it possible to achieve peace or even dialogue with an organization which has as its explicit goal in its founding charter the slaughter of all Jews? What would the dialogue be about? How many Jews to be killed perhaps?

Peace in relation to Israel/Palestine will only come when the representatives of both sides sit down and talk but those talks will, IMO, only have a fruitful outcome when all the parties involved accept that they have to compromise and cannot have all they want nor can they have the total elimination of the other. Peace talks usually happen - as in Northern Ireland - when the parties realise that the military option will not work. The IRA were in effect defeated and riddled with informers and realised that they would not be able to bomb their way to a united Ireland. So they accepted democracy instead. Hamas and Hezbollah have explicitly rejected democracy and JC - if he were serious - would be telling them in no uncertain terms - that they will get nowhere and should get nowhere - until they do. Instead a democratic politician flirts with people who loathe democracy and want to see it replaced by a theocracy.

I'm sorry to say this, Nick, but this is not showing "intelligence and courage". It is demonstrating moral obtuseness and appeasement. Labour should be better than that. Labour voters - no, all of us - deserve better than that from our official opposition.
  • Options
    edited August 2015

kle4 said:

Had the Tories lost, Boris would be a leadership candidate now because he would be an ideal Leader of the Opposition to a Miliband PM (well, maybe not ideal but certainly effective). But that's not where the country, the Tory Party or the leadership succession game is now. His boat has sailed.
    I don't understand that line of thinking. Boris remains the one and only Tory who has cache with people who ordinarily don't vote Tory (especially young people).

Osborne merely preaches to the choir, and quite possibly alienates a few people who voted for that nice family man Cameron this year (and despite the Tories thinking they walk on water, they should probably remember they have little margin for error if theywant to win a majority next time).
  • Options
    Mr. 565, not sure Boris as potential PM would fly beyond the Watford Gap.

His heavy association with London could prove detrimental in that regard (given the North/South divide).
  • Options
    Dan Hodges. WOW.
    "First came PCS union boss Mark Serwotka. He made for a rather unlikely master of ceremonies, roaming the stage carrying what looked like a laptop bag. In fact, it was the medical bag that keeps the blood pumping round his body whilst he awaits heart surgery. And he used it to deliver one of the best lines of the night.

Referencing Tony Blair’s instruction to people thinking of backing Jeremy Corbyn to “get a [heart] transplant”, he told his audience that he was in fact one of 284 people in the country awaiting a heart transplant. And if he got the opportunity to receive one he’d go to sleep with his old heart hoping for a Jeremy Corbyn victory “and I’ll wake up with my new heart, still hoping Jeremy wins”.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/11782467/Jeremy-Corbyn-spoke-to-the-masses-but-I-just-saw-a-false-prophet.html
  • Options
    edited August 2015

isam said:

I mean, that sort of leads on to the other question, why do ethnic minorities disproportionately vote Labour?
    Probably because they/their parents or grandparents, migrated into the poorer parts of the UK where their economic peers were reliant on the state for housing/job/benefits, ie the same reason as poor white people disproportionately vote Labour

I was talking about this with a friend recently who is non white and v leftwing. He was asking why there are so few non white people in senior positions in the country. I said why are there so few WWC people in senior positions? The same reason. People whose Grandparents were the working class folk of the 60s and 70s are rarely judges/MPs etc now regardless of their skin colour, and BAME people fall into that category almost by default
  • Options

Off topic. The reports of 3 police forces investigating Ted Heath starting to look ominous. Wilts, Met & Jersey.

How in God's name can you investigate a dead man? You can't. And it is pointless doing so. There is an inquiry led by Judge Lowell Goddard. She should be looking at this. The police should be concentrating on catching current paedophiles and other criminals.

Otherwise in our attempt to deal with the harm caused by long dead people to other people 50 or more years ago we will overlook the harm currently being done to youngsters now by people who can be stopped, caught, prosecuted and punished.

Call me an idealist but police investigations should not be done half a century after the events in question.

There are grooming gangs still operating in Rotherham, according to reports. Let's focus on stopping them. And elsewhere.

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,983
    Cyclefree said:

How in God's name can you investigate a dead man? You can't. And it is pointless doing so. There is an inquiry led by Judge Lowell Goddard. She should be looking at this. The police should be concentrating on catching current paedophiles and other criminals.

Otherwise in our attempt to deal with the harm caused by long dead people to other people 50 or more years ago we will overlook the harm currently being done to youngsters now by people who can be stopped, caught, prosecuted and punished.

Call me an idealist but police investigations should not be done half a century after the events in question.

There are grooming gangs still operating in Rotherham, according to reports. Let's focus on stopping them. And elsewhere.

The cover ups and obvious criminality of others who aided and abetted should be investigated vigourously to deter such establishment law breaking in future.
    There may well be plenty of the accomplices and people involved in keeping it secret etc who will be available for time at HMP.
    Time all these creeps were outed and the rot at the heart of our power system exposed.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    isam said:

London, like all enormous Western cities, has large ethnic minority populations, a huge gap between rich and poor, lots of public sector workers, students, and people working in occupations like fashion, design, media, the arts, all of which skews the city leftwards. It's not representative of England or the UK at all.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    isam said:

isam said:

Probably because they/their parents or grandparents, migrated into the poorer parts of the UK where their economic peers were reliant on the state for housing/job/benefits, ie the same reason as poor white people disproportionately vote Labour

I was talking about this with a friend recently who is non white and v leftwing. He was asking why there are so few non white people in senior positions in the country. I said why are there so few WWC people in senior positions? The same reason. People whose Grandparents were the working class folk of the 60s and 70s are rarely judges/MPs etc now regardless of their skin colour, and BAME people fall into that category almost by default
    Good post.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474

Dan Hodges. WOW.
    "First came PCS union boss Mark Serwotka. He made for a rather unlikely master of ceremonies, roaming the stage carrying what looked like a laptop bag. In fact, it was the medical bag that keeps the blood pumping round his body whilst he awaits heart surgery. And he used it to deliver one of the best lines of the night.

Referencing Tony Blair’s instruction to people thinking of backing Jeremy Corbyn to “get a [heart] transplant”, he told his audience that he was in fact one of 284 people in the country awaiting a heart transplant. And if he got the opportunity to receive one he’d go to sleep with his old heart hoping for a Jeremy Corbyn victory “and I’ll wake up with my new heart, still hoping Jeremy wins”.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/11782467/Jeremy-Corbyn-spoke-to-the-masses-but-I-just-saw-a-false-prophet.html

There people are going to be soooo upset if Corbyn doesn't win.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

I don't think there are "so few" people from ethnic minorities in senior positions, although obviously, some minority groups do far better on average than others do.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    edited August 2015
    ''How in God's name can you investigate a dead man?''

There's a distinction here Ms Free. An investigation into Heath is not the same as an investigation into why police failed to follow up on evidence of his crimes.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr g,

"There may well be plenty of the accomplices and people involved in keeping it secret etc who will be available for time at HMP."

Exactly so. I await the results from Rotherham - where the evidence is fresh and the numbers far higher.
  • Options
    Mr. 30, that post raises the possibility of a split being likelier if Corbyn loses than if he wins.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    malcolmg said:

Cyclefree said:

The cover ups and obvious criminality of others who aided and abetted should be investigated vigourously to deter such establishment law breaking in future.
    There may well be plenty of the accomplices and people involved in keeping it secret etc who will be available for time at HMP.
    Time all these creeps were outed and the rot at the heart of our power system exposed.
    I don't disagree that anyone alive who has committed a crime should be investigated and action taken. But I would like much much more focus on getting the child abusers who are committing crimes now.

It seems to me that we are assuaging our guilt at what we failed to do in the past by having a lot of excitable headlines about what may or may not have happened by people who are past punishment and investigations which seem to amount to little more than collecting accounts from alleged victims as part of some sort of therapy for them almost as a substitute for any effective action against current abusers.

While people focus on Heath and the early 1960s girls and boys now are being raped, their cries for help are being ignored and their abusers are getting away with it.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

malcolmg said:

Cyclefree said:

I don't disagree that anyone alive who has committed a crime should be investigated and action taken. But I would like much much more focus on getting the child abusers who are committing crimes now.

It seems to me that we are assuaging our guilt at what we failed to do in the past by having a lot of excitable headlines about what may or may not have happened by people who are past punishment and investigations which seem to amount to little more than collecting accounts from alleged victims as part of some sort of therapy for them almost as a substitute for any effective action against current abusers.

While people focus on Heath and the early 1960s girls and boys now are being raped, their cries for help are being ignored and their abusers are getting away with it.
    It's a delusion to think that scandals only happen in the past. A generation from now, the most horrifying stories will emerge of what was happening today.
  • Options
    ''While people focus on Heath and the early 1960s girls and boys now are being raped, their cries for help are being ignored and their abusers are getting away with it. ''

You have a point, but I fail to see how we can ignore reports that a former prime minister of this country, the most powerful position in the land by a street, was throughout his formidable political career a child abuser.

• Options

isam said:

[putting his hands up, sobbing] "Please! I like America The Tory Party!"
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    taffys said:

''While people focus on Heath and the early 1960s girls and boys now are being raped, their cries for help are being ignored and their abusers are getting away with it. ''

You have a point, but I fail to see how we can ignore reports that a former prime minister of this country, the most powerful position in the land by a street, was throughout his formidable political career a child abuser.

I wonder if 3 police forces would be so intent on launching investigations if anyone other than a now dead, Senior Tory was alleged to have been involved.

Funny how they can find the resources to do so, whilst so little seems available to go after today's active deviants and abusers.
  • Options
    taffys said:

''How in God's name can you investigate a dead man?''

There's a distinction here Ms Free. An investigation into Heath is not the same as an investigation into why police failed to follow up on evidence of his crimes.

Save that you are talking about possible evidence of possible crimes because in the absence of a trial there are no crimes only allegations. You cannot assume what you are trying to prove.

Saying that the police failed to follow up evidence of a crime is nonsensical. Until you've done the investigation and a prosecution has happened you cannot say that a crime has occurred. All you have are allegations. An investigation may not have happened because the police took the view that there was no evidence, that the complainant was telling lies, that they did not take such stuff seriously or because they were leant on in some way. Not all of these mean that misbehaviour by the police or people in the establishment happened.

And what we are now getting are people saying now that they were attacked then. Unless they said it then those claims are irrelevant given that Heath cannot now be investigated.

I thought (though I may be wrong) that the Goddard inquiry was meant to look at the conduct of institutions in relation to the past. Given the limited resources the police have I really would much rather they concentrated those resources far more on current child abuse.

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,780
    Danny565 said:

Sadly, the public doesn't share the enthusiasm for Osborne to be PM that Tories have:

Boris Johnson - 32%
    Theresa May - 28%
    Andy Burnham - 27%
    George Osborne - 23%
    Yvette Cooper - 22%
    Jeremy Corbyn - 17%
    Liz Kendall - 16%
    Michael Gove - 13%

It's higher than I would have thought it would be even a year ago.
  • Options
    watford30 said:

taffys said:

I wonder if 3 police forces would be so intent on launching investigations if anyone other than a now dead, Senior Tory was alleged to have been involved.

Funny how they can find the resources to do so, whilst so little seems available to go after today's active deviants and abusers.
    Cliff Richard might not agree
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    taffys said:

Although the 60s was a different place to today, a PM would still have come under enormous scrutiny, if he was involved with children I'd be amazed if it was able to be covered up.

• Options
    taffys said:

We don't need to ignore. That's what the Goddard inquiry is for.

But in any case your characterisation "......was throughout his ..... career a child abuser" is precisely the problem. We have allegations only, allegations which cannot be proved. Because the person is dead. So let's prioritise investigating the living. The dead are for historians.

It is wrong and dangerous to substitute the rule of law by Twitter outrage and sensationalist headlines. That helps no-one, the victims least of all.

• Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Didn't Jersey police do an exhaustive investigation into child abuse at that home a few years ago and didn't find much after a lot of smoke?

• Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    It's the circumstances with Cameron having to step down that makes it so hard for Johnson. Thrusting Johnson into the position of Prime Minister of the country with a lot of people not convinced about him and also with Johnson having not held a top cabinet job would be very difficult to do. Osborne being promoted to Prime Minister for a year or so would be much more feasible.

I still think Johnson would be the leading candidate if the party is looking for a fresh start in 2020 though as opposed to continuity Osborne.
  • Options
    Did anything happen about John Mann's salvo against JC?
    AndyJS said:

• Options
    Mr. Artist, not so sure. Boris needs the backing of Conservative MPs to make the final two, who are then put to the wider Conservative membership. Would MPs want to work for Boris?
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Plato said:

Didn't Jersey police do an exhaustive investigation into child abuse at that home a few years ago and didn't find much after a lot of smoke?

Yeah Jimmy Saville started legal proceedings on the back of it... #nothingtoseehere

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jersey_child_abuse_investigation_2008
  • Options
    LadyBucketLadyBucket Posts: 590
    Regards Edward Heath, I absolutely detest this trial by media (and I would say the same whichever party they had belonged to). But there never seems to be the same level of media attention when it's a Labour MP/minister etc). The BBC have just shown a picture of Jimmy Saville and Heath together, quickly pointing out that these are just allegations at the moment you understand! Then we had an interview with the nonce-finder general himself. Also Mr Danczuk - are these two in competition with each other? Lots of egos in play here, I would say.
    All these rumours have been around for years. Why didn't they come out when Labour was in power? Silly question!

• Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Afternoon all.

Odd that Boris’ odds should be falling, now that he is actually an MP and at least within shot of being elected. - Of course things might change, but fear his novelty amongst voters and punters alike would have worn a little thin after another 4-5 years waiting in the wings.

Wasn’t he supposed to be leading his party now, according to some of the more avant-garde claims prior to GE2015?
  • Options
    Yvette being nibbled at sub 4.0. I'm giving it away at that price!
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,340
    Cyclefree said:

Off topic and in response to @NickPalmer's characteristically polite reply (and with apologies to others):-

[snip to fit with post limits]

Thanks for the comments, Cyclefree. On points 1 and 2, I've known Jeremy for a long time but I've not followed him especially closely, so I won't attempt a detailed analysis. But the default leftish position is to sympathise in general terms with the underdog (which is a reasonable description of the position of Gaza and the West Bank), balanced by reservations about the views that the underdog takes. Some lefties like me have historical reasons for affection for Israel which complicate it further. But I don't in principle see it as damning to have meetings with islamists, so long as one doesn't pretend to embrace everything they say. I'll basically talk to anyone at all, and if it helps the discussion I'll quite possibly call them friends: I try not to think of anyone as "enemies". It's easier to express credibly frank disagreement to people who you don't appear to hate per se.

Poiint 3 is of more general interest. How do peace talks usually happen? I'm not at all convinced that they happen because one side is essentially defeated, and I don't think the IRA was any more defeated at the start of the Major/Blair talks than at other times in recent decades. If one side is really defeated they just fade away, like the Red Brigades and the Ku Klux Klan. What's more common is war-weariness, as expressed by the leader of a Muslim insurgency in the Phillippines - "We're all getting older and want more out of life than just killing each other forever". It's important to recognise when that point is reached - offer to negotiate too soon and it's a sign of weakness, leave it too long and fresh enthusiasts may take over.

To take a less controversial past example - I was one of those who thought that the Mozambique Renamo insurgents were incredibly vile - how could anyone possibly support what they did and said? And yet at a certain point they simply formed a coalition with Frelimo and the war ended. The willingness to accept that a vicious opponent with significant support may need to be accommodated is crucial, and it's often surprising how few absolute conditions they set. It's usually worth a try, since the alternative may be to go on fighting indefinitely. And it's not anti-semitic or pro-terrorist to think so (though people who are just that may pretend to be motivated by the wish for peace).
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited August 2015
    Anybody who saw the Australian 60 minutes programme from a couple of weeks ago knows that no party will be able to say well it didn't involve us.
  • Options

Regards Edward Heath, I absolutely detest this trial by media (and I would say the same whichever party they had belonged to). But there never seems to be the same level of media attention when it's a Labour MP/minister etc). The BBC have just shown a picture of Jimmy Saville and Heath together, quickly pointing out that these are just allegations at the moment you understand! Then we had an interview with the nonce-finder general himself. Also Mr Danczuk - are these two in competition with each other? Lots of egos in play here, I would say.
    All these rumours have been around for years. Why didn't they come out when Labour was in power? Silly question!

I still await the Panorama special on the Mirror Group hacking scandal....
  • Options
    Where did you watch that? Not Aus I assume!

Anybody who saw the Australian 60 minutes programme from a couple of weeks ago knows that no party will be able to say well it didn't involve us.

• Options
    Plato said:

It is available worldwide from the website.
  • Options

They don't bother with minor stuff.

Does Panorama even exist as a show?
  • Options

Plato said:

It is available worldwide from the website.
    Watching on youtube now
  • Options
    watford30 said:

Interestingly, they are sacking all the full time members of Panorama investigative team, so basically no. It could easily turn into 25 minutes of talking about the answers to FoI requests.
  • Options
    Four forces now confirm investigating Heath...Kent just said they are.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:
    Labour - keeping stonemasons in business since April 2015
  • Options
    Danny565 said:
    Sounds very similar to the Ed Stone tbh....
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Oh that's so vapid.

Does she have a block of limestone to carve them on?
    Danny565 said:

//twitter.com/JonathanHaynes/status/628467011320987648

• Options
    What a load of tosh from Kendall, 5 meaningless soundbites
  • Options
    Ha.

No wonder Corbyn's winning. He can speak human.
  • Options
    @Tissue_Price and @The_Apocalypse I think we have what Jeremy Kyle would call a Full House! :wink:
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

[snip to fit with post limits]

[Snipped]

To take a less controversial past example - I was one of those who thought that the Mozambique Renamo insurgents were incredibly vile - how could anyone possibly support what they did and said? And yet at a certain point they simply formed a coalition with Frelimo and the war ended. The willingness to accept that a vicious opponent with significant support may need to be accommodated is crucial, and it's often surprising how few absolute conditions they set. It's usually worth a try, since the alternative may be to go on fighting indefinitely. And it's not anti-semitic or pro-terrorist to think so (though people who are just that may pretend to be motivated by the wish for peace).
    Thank you Nick.

The underdog in the wider Middle East these days includes Yazidis and Christians and Kurds, all of whom are being horribly persecuted by IS. And yet Leftist sympathy for them seems rather thin on the ground. The Stop the War campaign are, for instance, against doing anything to help them because it would involve supporting any sort of anti-IS bombing by the US and its allies.

Too many Leftists seem more concerned about being on the side of anyone who claims to be anti-Western regardless of how much of a bully/fascist/genocidal maniac they actually are. That is not intelligent. It is morally repulsive.

I do not consider Islamists "friends" and I think there is no point talking to them. There is no common ground. There is nothing to talk about. Their aim is total victory. May I suggest you look at that Dan Cruickshank documentary - which though focused on the cultural war - is very illuminating about their aims. Sometimes when you face evil you have to say what it is and be utterly determined to defeat it. Moral clarity matters more than politeness.

My objection - and I realise we will have to agree to differ here - is that I don't think that JC or those like Galloway and Livingstone and other high-profile supporters with a record of cosying up to Islamists are showing the sort of moral clarity that I expect- and would like to see - in a party which claims to believe in liberal democracy, equality, freedom and progressive values.

• Options
    That is not intelligent. It is morally repulsive.

Never underestimate the hatred of the left for the English middle class.
  • Options

watford30 said:

Interestingly, they are sacking all the full time members of Panorama investigative team, so basically no. It could easily turn into 25 minutes of talking about the answers to FoI requests.
    The Editor is on a very long holiday too.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Danny565 said:

Jonathan Haynes✔@JonathanHaynes

Move over Ed Miliband.

On the plus side, twas cheaper to produce than the Ed’Stone, but equally as vapid.

@Plato - snap.
  • Options
    flightpath01flightpath01 Posts: 4,903
    As long as you are pursuing the right policies and are in government then a continuity candidate would make sense. Labours travails demonstrate to the tories that jumping to extremes is only going to cause problems.
    No one - no politician anywhere - has a magic wand. A leader needs to be competent and able to handle the problems as they arise.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013

Sky News were showing that photo.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Corbyn... hmm

On one hand he'd renationalise the railways, so we could all get cheap trips to Hogwarts on the Orient Express, perhaps the onboard food would be a bit cheaper too...

On the other hand he'd deny one's parents the rights to leave their stuff as they see fit.

Probably safist to stick with call me Dave.
  • Options
    For those considering W10 upgrade...
    Man updates his PC to Windows 10 ... only for his wife to find his entire PORN collection transformed into a slideshow on repeat

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3184771/Man-updates-PC-Windows-10-wife-entire-PORN-collection-transformed-slideshow-repeat.html#ixzz3hrWvQXCy
  • Options
    DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106
    Plato said:

Oh that's so vapid.

Does she have a block of limestone to carve them on?

Danny565 said:

//twitter.com/JonathanHaynes/status/628467011320987648

She was going to add "Motherhood" and "Apple Pie" , but Yvette talked her out of it. :wink:
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Plato said:

For those considering W10 upgrade...

Man updates his PC to Windows 10 ... only for his wife to find his entire PORN collection transformed into a slideshow on repeat

Cheers for the warning :innocent:
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    edited August 2015
    Danny565 said:
    Sounds a bit like the Lib Dem manifesto at the last election. Except that the Lib Dems were able to do something about it all, being on the inside of government. Of course, they had an uphill struggle at the time against the Conservatives - though the Tories made a better job at election time of pretending they were their policies all along.....
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    Has Jeremy Corbyn ever criticised the IRA? Did he condemn the Brighton bombing? Has he ever criticised Hamas? Or any other Islamic groups? Does he believe in Israel's right to exist as an independent state?

Just asking.
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191
    Danny565 said:

Boris Johnson - 32%
    Theresa May - 28%
    Andy Burnham - 27%
    George Osborne - 23%
    Yvette Cooper - 22%
    Jeremy Corbyn - 17%
    Liz Kendall - 16%
    Michael Gove - 13%

The links don't work where I am.

But I'd be interested to know if that question has been asked before and what the changes in it are.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    PClipp said:

Danny565 said:
    Sounds a bit like the Lib Dem manifesto at the last election. Except that the Lib Dems were able to do something about it all, being on the inside of government. Of course, they had an uphill struggle at the time against the Conservatives - though the Tories made a better job at election time of pretending they were their policies all along.....
    She has given a bit more detail on how she plans to do these things on her website. It is a bit too much on the health and social care side. She needs to flesh out her ideas on wider issues like the economy, immigration and police , but looks likely to get the chance to do this on the backbenches.
  • Options

Danny565 said:

Boris Johnson - 32%
    Theresa May - 28%
    Andy Burnham - 27%
    George Osborne - 23%
    Yvette Cooper - 22%
    Jeremy Corbyn - 17%
    Liz Kendall - 16%
    Michael Gove - 13%

But I'd be interested to know if that question has been asked before and what the changes in it are.
    Oops, you're right about the links. Here's the proper ones:

https://www.ipsos-mori.com/Assets/Docs/Polls/political-monitor-july-2015-topline-part-two.pdf

https://www.ipsos-mori.com/Assets/Docs/Polls/political-monitor-july-2015-topline.pdf
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    O/T:

The odds for the 4th Test at Trent Bridge are a bit baffling IMO:

England 3.5
    Australia 2.16
    Draw 3.95

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/cricket/event?id=27458860
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    AndyJS said:

O/T:

The odds for the 4th Test at Trent Bridge are a bit baffling IMO:

England 3.5
    Australia 2.16
    Draw 3.95

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/cricket/event?id=27458860

The No Jimmy Anderson factor I guess
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Mr. 565, not sure Boris as potential PM would fly beyond the Watford Gap.

His heavy association with London could prove detrimental in that regard (given the North/South divide).

Mr. Dancer, Please don't fall into the mistake of thinking Boris goes down too well everywhere in the South either. Although he was MP for Henley on Thames a few years ago he was not a terribly good one and the shine on his star and the degree to which people are prepared to put up with him has probably worn thin since those days. If he has a large following it is probably well inside the M25. Boris's time has, I think, been and gone. He is yesterday's man.

As for Javid being overrated as you say in another post, I think you are making a big mistake. We shall see how he performs in a cabinet post, but providing he does not make a pigs ear of it, he should be a short priced runner in the Replacing Cameron Handicap Stakes.
  • Options
    Mr. Llama, when was the last time we had a bald PM?
  • Options
    It says everything about the labour party that 1 of the 4 contenders for the leadership is coming out with such vacuous dogma. Worse still, she'll deliver those lines with that patronising, faux concerned look they all acquire.

Nauseous, come on Corbyn, for heaven's sake liven it up with your own brand of nonsense, at least you believe what you say.
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191
    Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

Boris Johnson - 32%
    Theresa May - 28%
    Andy Burnham - 27%
    George Osborne - 23%
    Yvette Cooper - 22%
    Jeremy Corbyn - 17%
    Liz Kendall - 16%
    Michael Gove - 13%

Oops, you're right about the links. Here's the proper ones:

https://www.ipsos-mori.com/Assets/Docs/Polls/political-monitor-july-2015-topline-part-two.pdf

https://www.ipsos-mori.com/Assets/Docs/Polls/political-monitor-july-2015-topline.pdf
    So they asked it in July 2014? Thanks.

One of the problems I have with polling like this is that they don't have the changes with respect to time and you have nothing to really compare it with. Plus what's the baseline and what do they do with don't knows.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,462
    edited August 2015
    Cyclefree said:

The idea that there are no resources both to investigate the historical alleged crimes of politicians and the current crimes of civilians is a false one. Both must be investigated with due (or as it would appear overdue) rigour. Investigating one does not lead to ignoring the other - quite the opposite infact.

Of course crimes should be investigated at the time, but if they are not, they must obviously be investigated later - to suggest otherwise is like saying someone shouldn't do an adult education course because they should have learned woodwork at school.

With regard to the other comments here by hard-done-by Conservative party supporters, the story about Heath broke last year, and you can't libel the dead, yet it's taken this IPCC investigation before even a sniff of it has reached the newspapers. I'd hardly call that trial by media, and I find it hardly surprising that now the muzzle has been taken off, they are responding to legitimate public interest in what may turn out to be a seismic political scandal.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    The 60 minutes documentary @FrancisUrquhart mentioned alleges someone who was an MP until May was an abuser, and features Zac Goldsmith admitting there is a big cover up and that "the genie is out of the bottle"