Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The likely reaction from the blue team if they’re facing Op

SystemSystem Posts: 11,685
edited August 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The likely reaction from the blue team if they’re facing Opposition Leader Corbyn?

When the Conservatives had finished celebrating their unexpected overall majority and started gazing across at the potential Labour leadership candidates they no doubt started thinking about the challenges of their next possible Labour opponent.  Newspapers and blogs speculated about which of the leadership candidates the Conservatives most feared, and then newspapers and blogs further speculated whether the Conservatives were laying false trails.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,682
    First!
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,682
    If he is not given a meaningful role, the twitterocracy is going to be incandescent.

Is this the sphere where PM Miliband is negotiating Independence with FM Salmond?

Not attacking Corbyn on policy will require iron discipline - given he is likely to present more than a few attractive targets - and this is the Tory Party - but I agree, declining to dignify it with comment is the best approach.
  • Options
    If the Labour MPs leaving at the next election happen to be mostly Blairite, the Conservatives can claim Corbyn is purging the party of Blairites, leaving only the 'loony left'.

This could happen, without Corbyn actually trying to push the Blairites out, if the MPs leaving in 2020 happen to be mainly the ones first elected in 1997, simply because that cohort are reaching typical retirement age for MPs (though I don't know if they actually will be).
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    (Two Threads Ago)

Someone referred to an article on Conservative Home, rebutting claims about Enoch Powell abusing children. I have found this link:

http://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2015/03/enoch-powell-did-not-abuse-children.html

... but where is the article? It has a few short paragraphs, then stops suddenly. Is that it? Or is more of the article hidden somewhere?
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    edited August 2015
    Good article. Should Corbyn not win I think we can look forward to a month or two (at least) of 67% of Labour members didn't vote for Burham/Cooper comments all over social media
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

If the Labour MPs leaving at the next election happen to be mostly Blairite, the Conservatives can claim Corbyn is purging the party of Blairites, leaving only the 'loony left'.

This could happen, without Corbyn actually trying to push the Blairites out, if the MPs leaving in 2020 happen to be mainly the ones first elected in 1997, simply because that cohort are reaching typical retirement age for MPs (though I don't know if they actually will be).

Even the younger Blairites may well head for the door without being pushed. If it seems plain to them that preferment is only going to be available to the hard left, the more ambitious (i.e. almost all of them) are going to be looking for opportunities outside parliament.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    They'd do all kinds of right-wing shit that they want to do but know it would be unpopular.

It's surprising how relaxed Labour members seem to be about this.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    This, or something like it, will happen whoever is the new leader. We have seen the electoral success which followed the campaigns of personal abuse against Gordon Brown and Ed Miliband, and so has CCHQ.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    If Andy Burnham was leader then the tories would have a very easy target.

Liz Kendall at PMQs? I think not.

Yvette Cooper against Cameron? Probably the best of the lot.

none of them are remotely credible and for PMQs I could see Corbyn being the best performer but probably with the oddest policies. Labour really has got itself into s pickle with this lot. I honestly don't think that it matters who wins
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    Morning. Yet another good piece from @antifrank. I image that if Corbyn is elected, most other parties will take a few months just to stop laughing about it!

One noticeable effect of the contest has been that Corbyn's inclusion has dragged the debate far to the left of where it would otherwise have been, with Kendall and the 'Blairites' looking increasingly isolated on the right of the party.

A Corbyn win will leave them stranded in a party that obviously values ideology over pragmatic thinking, even when the latter is the way to win elections (See Blair, T and Cameron, D for recent examples).

The question is will we see another SDP breakaway, or will it be defections to LD or Con by the Labour centrists?
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    On topic, an excellent and comprehensive leader from antifrank. The strategy in the case of a Corbyn defeat in particular sounds spot on.

Where I'd disagree is in not taking on his policies and in soft-pedalling (to a degree).

There's no harm in taking on battles you can win, and engaging in a battle of ideas with Corbyn, when those ideas are more than a bit Loony Left, would simultaneously split any remaining centrist votes from Labour (some to the Tories, more to the Lib Dems, Farron or not), while causing Labour and especially the Corbynites to rally round and defend the faith. There's little the left likes like a good principle to defend. Or sometimes, a bad one. The more the debate becomes about ideas then the less it is about the man and the more it becomes the party which is tainted with them - and it will be the party because a Corbyn leadership would not merely reflect the changing nature of Labour's activist base but would reinforce that trend: more centrists would not renew membership, while those attracted to his style of politics would.

And going for his ideas means not going particularly for the man. For one thing, he's not that easy a target except for his policies (so why not then go for the policies?). The public doesn't like personal attacks and while they can be effective, and therefore justified politically, I'm not sure it's in the Tories interest to taint him in the public's eyes when there's the chance to taint the entire Labour party. Besides, while Corbyn shouldn't be allowed to become seen as PM material, nor should he be hounded out of office when he's the Tories' best card.

Besides, a Corbyn-led Labour party would allow the Tories to go deeper and faster into their manifesto. If that leads to a Labour bump in the polls, so be it. It's a lot harder to shift a leader who's leading.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    I'd have thought the first thing the Tories should do if Corbyn wins is to repeal the fixed term parliament act. They could do that even if he doesn't win.
  • Options
    CromwellCromwell Posts: 236

The recent photo of the austere and jaded Corbyn on the way home from work on a city bus is very revealing ; he has the look of a very worried man , but who could blame him ?
    After all , he's deep in thought , but not about his future policies as leader , or who to have in his shadow cabinet ; oh no , he's desperately looking for a way out of this nightmarish situation he's gotten himself into ...he's probably shaking his head in shear disbelief and muttering to himself ''But I never wanted to be leader ...I just wanted to stir up the pot !'' ...but from such little acorns do mighty oak trees grow

Poor Jeremy , not only is he a typical careerist politician of 33 years , he's a professional protester whose political M O was to cheerlead from the side lines ; never in his wildest dreams did he think he would actually have to make decisions and take the responsibility of leadership THE HORROR ! THE HORROR !

It's going to be simply hilarious to see how this all ends ; whether he gets piped at the post by Cooper and is able to retire back into relative obscurity , honour intact , or when faced with being handed the L P leadership , he allows himself to be talked into stepping down for the ''good of the Party '' !....either way , come October all this talk about Corbyn as the messiah will have evaporated like the summer heat
  • Options

Corbynism is merely messianic secular politics , more of the dopey ''hope and change '' that the Obama campaign tapped into ; we witnessed something similar last summer up in Scotland with the fawning and adoration of Salmond/Sturgeon and the SNP by a crowd of political munchkins on the yellow brick road to independence
    And it's hardly surprising that the gullible , uninformed and vacuous ''Facebook '' crowd would get behind the Gandhi-like Corbyn ...these type of folks vote in an election using the similar criteria they use when voting on the X Factor and Big Brother ...indeed , these are the so called inspired and idealistic voters that Corbyn can count upon ....in fact it is my contention that the folks who are inspired by Corbyn in England would be voting for Scottish independence if they happened to live north of the border ; after all , it is all about emotion and the abandonment of critical thinking skills similar to a religious revival
  • Options

Corbyn is merely the cadaverous corpse of the failed 1970s Labour Party resurrected from the grave by messianic politics, desperation and wishful thinking ...merely the faithful searching for a leader to guide them to the promised land ; apparently , there is no youthful present day leader who fits the bill , so they have to find some austere 1970s Gandhi-like retread

Is Jeremy the messiah or is he just a very naught boy ?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    SNP ministers are under pressure to investigate whether Scotland’s Higher exam has been made easier after record-breaking results showed a greater pass rate among pupils who sat a new version of the qualification.

The total passes for Higher English spiralled by an astonishing 17.7 per cent compared to last year, when all pupils sat the old version, while the figure for modern languages increased by 15.2 per cent.

But the record results – which were expected to trigger a scramble for university places – were achieved despite research showing literacy standards have fallen at all years measured in Scotland’s primary and secondary schools.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/secondaryeducation/11781251/Questions-over-higher-Scottish-exam-pass-rate.html
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,339
    It's an odd situation - the Conservatives are seen by most as credible but not likeable and the centre-left is seen as more likeable but less credible. This delivered a small Tory election win in 2015 (since people value credibility most if push comes to shove) but it's an essentially unstable situation, vulnerable to populist challengers from any quarter - hence UKIP's failure to collapse as expected. Whether Corbyn can fill that role remains to be seen - if he gets the chance - but it's too complacent for the Tories to assume he won't. Being sceptical about the Ukraine and polite about Hamas or homeopathy don't make up the killer arguments that they suppose.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    What about the Deputy leader? if its Watson, he will need dealing with too. A slippery customer of the worst kind.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Indigo said:

Good article. Should Corbyn not win I think we can look forward to a month or two (at least) of 67% of Labour members didn't vote for Burham/Cooper comments all over social media

Given that anybody could pay their £3 to have a say in this contest, I think it will be fair to play a certain legitimacy argument back to those who have made it about the Government - and say that 99% of the population didn't vote for Jeremy Corbyn and the Leftward Shift.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

SNP ministers are under pressure to investigate whether Scotland’s Higher exam has been made easier after record-breaking results showed a greater pass rate among pupils who sat a new version of the qualification.

The total passes for Higher English spiralled by an astonishing 17.7 per cent compared to last year, when all pupils sat the old version, while the figure for modern languages increased by 15.2 per cent.

But the record results – which were expected to trigger a scramble for university places – were achieved despite research showing literacy standards have fallen at all years measured in Scotland’s primary and secondary schools.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/secondaryeducation/11781251/Questions-over-higher-Scottish-exam-pass-rate.html

I think Exams were a lot harder in Scotland to get top marks when I took them in 79 and 80. I am basing that on average marks attained and required to get into uni. I would add exams in England were also of a higher standard, when getting an A really meant something.
    From memory Edinburgh Uni for the course I considered before going elsewhere was 3 B's and a C at Higher or a B and 2 C's at A level. No A was required. Changed days indeed.
    There is pressure on all exam boards to perform. I distinctly remember my cousin in England going to a school where the results were perceived to be easier than some others and he did rather well as I recall.
    Perhaps others can remember which boards were around in Eng, in Scot it was only one the SED, and the fact schools wanted their students having better results meant some options perhaps provided a better outcome for students. I am sure "people" claimed it was standardised and equalised out across boards but my memory albeit hazy of that conversation with my cousin was different. Was it a London board and an Oxford Board, I just cannot remember.......
    Any teachers in Scot or Eng know?

• Options

It's an odd situation - the Conservatives are seen by most as credible but not likeable and the centre-left is seen as more likeable but less credible. This delivered a small Tory election win in 2015 (since people value credibility most if push comes to shove) but it's an essentially unstable situation, vulnerable to populist challengers from any quarter - hence UKIP's failure to collapse as expected. Whether Corbyn can fill that role remains to be seen - if he gets the chance - but it's too complacent for the Tories to assume he won't. Being sceptical about the Ukraine and polite about Hamas or homeopathy don't make up the killer arguments that they suppose.

But in your own terms Nick, they broaden the credibility gap - the one that people value most "if push comes to shove".

Labour needs to get over its need to be liked. It needs to do things the voters want it to do.
  • Options

It's an odd situation - the Conservatives are seen by most as credible but not likeable and the centre-left is seen as more likeable but less credible.

I'd have thought that was the default position for the last hundred years?

This delivered a small Tory election win in 2015 (since people value credibility most if push comes to shove) but it's an essentially unstable situation, vulnerable to populist challengers from any quarter - hence UKIP's failure to collapse as expected. Whether Corbyn can fill that role remains to be seen - if he gets the chance - but it's too complacent for the Tories to assume he won't. Being sceptical about the Ukraine and polite about Hamas or homeopathy don't make up the killer arguments that they suppose.

If they were being advanced by a backbencher, no-one would bat an eyelid. Coming from someone who (in theory) aspires to be PM is a different matter. Indeed, no small part of Corbyn's - and Labour's - dilemma is that he quite clearly doesn't want to be PM because I'm quite sure that he knows that his values and prescriptions aren't deliverable in the real world. Corbyn's politics have always been about giving a voice to what he considers to be the oppressed or downtrodden, and pointing out an alternative way. It's a means of influencing the debate and - hopefully for him - the outcome. But it's very different from being seen as responsible for delivering it. And it's got to be highly doubtful as to whether he'd want to be responsible.
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    An alternative view of Corbyn's popularity in the Labour party and probably the country is that people are fed up being preached at by so called Professional Politicians and their SPADS. While the LibDems have already paid the price, the bill is still being prepared for the Labour and the Tory parties. It was the SNP who could be considered were the major winners at the last GE.

As to the backlash from the media, just listened to a Radio Scotland piece where just a few years ago, readership of a daily paper was over 70% of adults, nowadays it is just over 40%. I would consider similar figures for England possible. There are now just too many other alternative sources of news and information available.

What the PB Tory's are failing to consider, is that they are the ones who are out of touch with the public mood. Should DC and GO try and attack Corbyn, it could backfire spectacularly on them.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    I quite agree. I think Cameron vs Corbyn at PMQs will be very testy and amusing most of the time.

As we've seen, Jerry has a short fuse when he's not surrounded by acolytes. Him spluttering with self-righteous rage would be great box office.

On @antifrank's suggested strategy of not engaging with the Corbynite Manifesto - I largely concur, it's a rabbithole of idealism and apple pie - personally I'd mention the horrors of Militant 70/80s at every opportunity. Especially the IMF and Denis coming back from the airport.

Tories Under The Bed is the other tactic - nothing like breeding suspicion amongst the ranks of the Judean Popular Front and the Popular Front of Judea. It really does offer so much entertainment.

I'd even invite Neil Kinnock to Downing St for tea :sunglasses:

One thing that is a serious issue > the security vetting of Mr Corbyn considering his *friendships*. Whilst I'm not presuming he's a problem per se, his friends could be.

If Andy Burnham was leader then the tories would have a very easy target.

Liz Kendall at PMQs? I think not.

Yvette Cooper against Cameron? Probably the best of the lot.

none of them are remotely credible and for PMQs I could see Corbyn being the best performer but probably with the oddest policies. Labour really has got itself into s pickle with this lot. I honestly don't think that it matters who wins

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,984
    Good morning, everyone.

I doubt they'll refer to homeopathy. There are a surprising number of people who believe in that tosh.

Mr. Palmer, that's slightly misleading because you refer to the two major parties and a small election win for the blues (which is true) but that neglects that the small Conservative win was a huge Labour defeat.
  • Options
    Only two months? I think it'll go on and on and on.
    Indigo said:

• Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    edited August 2015
    Update on newspaper readership, 1999 : 76%, 2014 : 41%
  • Options
    Miss Plato, surely the percentage will be of eligible members using the percentage of first preferences? It'll be something like 90%+ not backing Cooper/Burnham.

After all, that's the demented approach to mathematics taken by those who have decided democracy stops people electing their leaders...
  • Options
    ALAN JOHNSON to endorse COOPER today !

Cooper is the compromise candidate who is the least objectionable to the most voters and it's long overdue for the LP to have a history making first female leader

It's somewhat ironic that the sober minded and sensible JOHNSON could be leader if he so chose and so his endorsement will carry some weight behind it
  • Options
    OchEye said:

An alternative view of Corbyn's popularity in the Labour party and probably the country is that people are fed up being preached at by so called Professional Politicians and their SPADS. While the LibDems have already paid the price, the bill is still being prepared for the Labour and the Tory parties. It was the SNP who could be considered were the major winners at the last GE.

As to the backlash from the media, just listened to a Radio Scotland piece where just a few years ago, readership of a daily paper was over 70% of adults, nowadays it is just over 40%. I would consider similar figures for England possible. There are now just too many other alternative sources of news and information available.

What the PB Tory's are failing to consider, is that they are the ones who are out of touch with the public mood. Should DC and GO try and attack Corbyn, it could backfire spectacularly on them.

It's a risk worth taking. The alternative - to not challenge what he stands for - is a much bigger risk.

In any case, I don't think that the public are fed up with professional politicians as such. Salmond, to quote your own case, is as much as a professional politician as any: the ultimate survivor - a man who was party leader back when Margaret Thatcher was PM.

What the public are fed up with are insiders who have risen way beyond their abilities seemingly solely on connections, most of whom are SpAds or similar. However, the problem the public has is their over-promotion, not their existence as such.

There are few occupations where customers would go out of the way to avoid someone because 'they've been doing their job since their early twenties' or 'it's what they trained for'. By contrast, just about everyone would avoid someone 'because they're not very good.'
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    OchEye said:

Corbyn is in tune with the (large number of) people who rage against austerity. But that's nowhere near a majority. 40% of voters may identify with this. 60% won't, and will vote for whichever candidate is best placed to beat Labour.
  • Options
    Mr. Eye, is that based on people buying papers physically/through a paywall?

If so, it would underestimate the influence of papers due to those who read articles online, which happens quite a lot.
  • Options
    Cromwell said:

Cooper is the compromise candidate who is the least objectionable to the most voters and it's long overdue for the LP to have a history making first female leader

It's somewhat ironic that the sober minded and sensible JOHNSON could be leader if he so chose and so his endorsement will carry some weight behind it

The boat has long since sailed where should Labour elect a woman, she'd be "history making" simply for being a woman. Too many examples from any number of countries around the world, and from any number of parties in this one.
  • Options
    Indeed, you are quite correct.

And in other unsurprising news... do they ever learn?
    Alan Yentob 'tried to halt' BBC probe into Kids Company: Corporation's £330,000-a-year creative director phoned Newsnight staff hours before it aired damning report

Mr Yentob is the chairman of Kids Company - the charity being probed
    The charity was recently the subject of a Newsnight revelation
    It's claimed Mr Yentob tried to ‘influence the direction’ of the item on show
    One MP has called it 'clear conflict of interests' and demanded resignation

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3184493/Alan-Yentob-tried-halt-BBC-probe-kids-charity-Corporation-s-330-000-year-creative-director-phoned-Newsnight-staff-hours-aired-damning-report-Kids-Company.html#ixzz3hpAxwdRi

Miss Plato, surely the percentage will be of eligible members using the percentage of first preferences? It'll be something like 90%+ not backing Cooper/Burnham.

After all, that's the demented approach to mathematics taken by those who have decided democracy stops people electing their leaders...

• Options
    OchEye said:

Experience suggests that those who talk most about those "out of touch with the public mood" should invariably be included within that number.

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @BBCBreaking: UK government raises £2.1bn by selling #RBS shares http://t.co/liAmaBDS6V
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

OchEye said:

Corbyn is in tune with the (large number of) people who rage against austerity. But that's nowhere near a majority. 40% of voters may identify with this. 60% won't, and will vote for whichever candidate is best placed to beat Labour.
    I think labour would be very happy with a 40% vote share
  • Options
    Well quite, Pakistan had a female PM in 1988 - that Labour still hasn't found a contender is a poor show.

Cromwell said:

The boat has long since sailed where should Labour elect a woman, she'd be "history making" simply for being a woman. Too many examples from any number of countries around the world, and from any number of parties in this one.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

Sean_F said:

OchEye said:

I think labour would be very happy with a 40% vote share
    They won't get all of that 40%, and the problem will lie with the 60% who vote against them.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited August 2015
    Morning all.

"above is not particularly complicated and it is not particularly pretty"

Well said Antifrank, and many thanks for this exceedingly long contribution.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,994
    edited August 2015

Nick - I completely agree with you. It is astonishly complacent of Tories to think that some soundbites about Ukraine or Hamas are killer arguments and will destroy the man.

You only have to follow up Antifrank's links to see what Corbyn actually said on Ukraine.

"On Ukraine, I would not condone Russian behaviour or expansion. But it is not unprovoked, and the right of people to seek a federal structure or independence should not be denied.
    And there are huge questions around the West's intentions in Ukraine."
    There are huge questions about how the US in particular intervened in Ukraine and then got blowback. Corbyn would have the opportunity to defend and develop his point. A lot will agree with him.

Similarly on Hamas. Follow the link and see the context. It is easy for Corbyn to defend.

The result of Antifrank's stategy would be for the Tories to reinforce their image of the nasty party who plays the man, avoids arguing about the ideas, and is careless with the truth.
  • Options
    The most socialistic thing Labour ever did, creating the NHS, is also the most popular thing they ever did. At last Labour have a genuine unashamed socialist in Corbyn, his enormous popularity is no surprise to me. I just hope that there's no loss of nerve with the prize now so close.
  • Options
    Mr. Barnesian, people criticised attacks on Miliband (particularly the campaign quote from Fallon raising the spectre of David Miliband), but in the end the Conservatives won more seats than in 2010, and Labour made precious little progress in England and went backwards dramatically in Scotland.
  • Options

Mr. Barnesian, people criticised attacks on Miliband (particularly the campaign quote from Fallon raising the spectre of David Miliband), but in the end the Conservatives won more seats than in 2010, and Labour made precious little progress in England and went backwards dramatically in Scotland.

I don't think the Fallon quote helped the SNP defeat Labour in Scotland, - do you?

I don't think it had much impact at all. It was a one-off and was quickly dropped.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Sirima Ratwatte Dias Bandaranaike was a Sri Lankan politician and the modern world's first female head of government. She served as Prime Minister of Ceylon and Sri Lanka three times, 1960–65, 1970–77 and 1994–2000, and was a long-time leader of the Sri Lanka Freedom Party.
    Plato said:

Well quite, Pakistan had a female PM in 1988 - that Labour still hasn't found a contender is a poor show.

Cromwell said:

• Options
    Mr. Financier, impressive longevity there, beginning her first term as PM in 1960 and ending her last in 2000. That'd be from... Eden to Blair in the UK?

Mr. Barnesian, people didn't back Labour because Miliband wasn't seen as a credible PM.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Moses led the Israelites from captivity towards the promised land - flowing with milk and honey. However he died on the way before reaching this goal.

JC also is also promising milk and honey (anti-austerity) but unfortunately his promised land is not real (more like a Spanish castle) and so neither he nor his successors will get there.
  • Options
    I know you're a self-confessed wooden spooner, Mr @Barnesian - but TBH, I'd rather read what you really think, than a confected opinion designed to create controversy.

@JackW of this parish used to pen some very interesting thread headers, under the theme of Against The Grain where he looked at the conventional wisdom and approached it from the other end. It was the logical extension of his screen persona since he wasn't 106yrs old or a LibDem in real life.
    Barnesian said:

Nick - I completely agree with you. It is astonishly complacent of Tories to think that some soundbites about Ukraine or Hamas are killer arguments and will destroy the man.

You only have to follow up Antifrank's links to see what Corbyn actually said on Ukraine.

"On Ukraine, I would not condone Russian behaviour or expansion. But it is not unprovoked, and the right of people to seek a federal structure or independence should not be denied.
    There are huge questions about how the US in particular intervened in Ukraine and then got blowback. Corbyn would have the opportunity to defend and develop his point. A lot will agree with him.

Similarly on Hamas. Follow the link and see the context. It is easy for Corbyn to defend.

The result of Antifrank's stategy would be for the Tories to reinforce their image of the nasty party who plays the man, avoids arguing about the ideas, and is careless with the truth.
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    Cromwell said:

The recent photo of the austere and jaded Corbyn on the way home from work on a city bus is very revealing ; he has the look of a very worried man , but who could blame him ?
    After all , he's deep in thought , but not about his future policies as leader , or who to have in his shadow cabinet ; oh no , he's desperately looking for a way out of this nightmarish situation he's gotten himself into ...he's probably shaking his head in shear disbelief and muttering to himself ''But I never wanted to be leader ...I just wanted to stir up the pot !'' ...but from such little acorns do mighty oak trees grow

Poor Jeremy , not only is he a typical careerist politician of 33 years , he's a professional protester whose political M O was to cheerlead from the side lines ; never in his wildest dreams did he think he would actually have to make decisions and take the responsibility of leadership THE HORROR ! THE HORROR !

It's going to be simply hilarious to see how this all ends ; whether he gets piped at the post by Cooper and is able to retire back into relative obscurity , honour intact , or when faced with being handed the L P leadership , he allows himself to be talked into stepping down for the ''good of the Party '' !....either way , come October all this talk about Corbyn as the messiah will have evaporated like the summer heat

Conjecture. The photograph probably was of a man who had had a hard day's work. I think if his mindset was as you describe then it would be visible that he was not trying. But it seems to me that he is trying.

• Options
    F1: don't forget to check my mid-season review, outlining how the weird betting has gone, the current state of play and how things might change at Spa:

http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/2015-mid-season-review.html
  • Options
    How fascinating - I just picked Mrs Bhuto as Pakistan isn't exactly the first place one tends to associate with Wimmins Lib.
    Financier said:

Sirima Ratwatte Dias Bandaranaike was a Sri Lankan politician and the modern world's first female head of government. She served as Prime Minister of Ceylon and Sri Lanka three times, 1960–65, 1970–77 and 1994–2000, and was a long-time leader of the Sri Lanka Freedom Party.

Plato said:

Cromwell said:

• Options
    Plato said:

I know you're a self-confessed wooden spooner, Mr @Barnesian - but TBH, I'd rather read what you really think, than a confected opinion designed to create controversy.

Plato - In this case it is what I really think. It isn't confected. Just follow Antifrank's links and think about how it might play.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307
    Excellent piece Antifrank.

The key point is that there is really no upside for Labour in this. Even if Corbyn falls short (as I think he ultimately will) he will be a major problem for the next leader. His objective in entering the contest was to air his ideas and the leading "don't offend anyone" candidates have simply not engaged in that discussion. The farce we saw with the welfare cuts bill is only the start of the problem. Corbyn will have shown how far the centrists are out of step with grass roots Labour.

If Corbyn comes a respectable second his faction will want a say. Labour will steer leftwards at a time when Osborne is making a strong claim on the centre ground. It puts Labour in the reverse of a 2001/5 situation and at risk of losing very badly. Scotland is not coming back. Labour would be at serious risk of disappearing in the east and midlands as well (outside the cities). And the membership will continue to change in a direction that is unlikely to lead to electoral success as the moderates leave in despair.
  • Options
    Labour is an idea whose time has gone.

I know - I've said it before. And I'll say it again. And this: England, apart rom its multicultural cities, is a one-party State. And in those cities the only serious opposition to Toryism is militant Islam.
  • Options
    After the crowds in Camden touching his hem and offering gourds last night, I think Moses would be a step down for JC Superstar.
    Financier said:

Moses led the Israelites from captivity towards the promised land - flowing with milk and honey. However he died on the way before reaching this goal.

JC also is also promising milk and honey (anti-austerity) but unfortunately his promised land is not real (more like a Spanish castle) and so neither he nor his successors will get there.

• Options
    I've seen him positively twinkle with impish delight. He must be loving this stuff - he's certainly not giving the me the impression of someone who wants to be anywhere else.
    PeterC said:

Cromwell said:

Conjecture. The photograph probably was of a man who had had a hard day's work. I think if his mindset was as you describe then it would be visible that he was not trying. But it seems to me that he is trying.

• Options
    Arguably, coming a close second is worse in the longer term.

Having a large and noisy cohort of Militant Mk II shouting We Woz Robbed, criticising the winning candidate as Not Real Labour etc will still pull their Party to the Left. Simply through the natural desire to shut them up, it'll undermine whatever policy ideas the more moderate voices want to pursue - and take up time/energy putting out internal fights/plots.

If JC wins, at least it's out in the open and can be lanced in public. Trying to hold the Party together will be JC's issue - so pull the plaster off quickly - or slowly?
    DavidL said:

The key point is that there is really no upside for Labour in this. Even if Corbyn falls short (as I think he ultimately will) he will be a major problem for the next leader. His objective in entering the contest was to air his ideas and the leading "don't offend anyone" candidates have simply not engaged in that discussion. The farce we saw with the welfare cuts bill is only the start of the problem. Corbyn will have shown how far the centrists are out of step with grass roots Labour.

If Corbyn comes a respectable second his faction will want a say. Labour will steer leftwards at a time when Osborne is making a strong claim on the centre ground. It puts Labour in the reverse of a 2001/5 situation and at risk of losing very badly. Scotland is not coming back. Labour would be at serious risk of disappearing in the east and midlands as well (outside the cities). And the membership will continue to change in a direction that is unlikely to lead to electoral success as the moderates leave in despair.

• Options
    I agree, he is having great fun at present as he is finding it so easy to plough a furrow whilst the others cannot even get the horses to go the right way and keep tripping over the reins.

However, will he be so happy if the momentum he has created sweeps him into the No1 slot and he has to get serious about ploughing that field and the next and the next. It is quite easy to ride the crest of a wave, but as surfers will know it can take a huge amount of effort to swim against the tide to reach the next wave.
    Plato said:

I've seen him positively twinkle with impish delight. He must be loving this stuff - he's certainly not giving the me the impression of someone who wants to be anywhere else.

PeterC said:

Cromwell said:

• Options
    Barnesian, anyone who thinks the Tories are ever "astonishingly complacent" wasn't paying attention to their level of planning for the General Election.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    edited August 2015
    Cameron is living proof that what you say as a backbencher and beyond can easily be forgotten/ignored when leader

Tim thought Section 28 and Apartheid holidays were going to trip DC up, but no one cares. Why should it be different for anyone else?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,249

If Corbyn, a man who knowingly consorts with Holocaust deniers, people who believe that homosexuals should be stoned (using rocks) as well as showing support for violent extremists of divers stripes in our own country, he will at least go some way to resolving that problem.

However, it will not be by making the left more credible.
  • Options
    I wonder if that's why he's said things such as not using the whip/allowing conscience votes on everything - it's a faux way to look all kumbaya, whilst actually abdicating responsibilities that go with the job of *leading*.
    Financier said:

I agree, he is having great fun at present as he is finding it so easy to plough a furrow whilst the others cannot even get the horses to go the right way and keep tripping over the reins.

However, will he be so happy if the momentum he has created sweeps him into the No1 slot and he has to get serious about ploughing that field and the next and the next. It is quite easy to ride the crest of a wave, but as surfers will know it can take a huge amount of effort to swim against the tide to reach the next wave.

Plato said:

PeterC said:

Cromwell said:

• Options
    Dan Hodge's latest thoughts: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/11781068/The-only-way-to-stop-the-Corbyn-juggernaut-is-for-Liz-Kendall-to-pull-out.html

He seems to have completely back tracked on his "let Corbyn win and see once and for all where that gets us" strategy and is now urging Kendall to withdraw.

I think the problem for Kendall is that there is too much risk in endorsing Cooper of Burnham when they are so close. To withdraw and back another loser would not be a great career move. But a Kendall endorsement of Cooper (along with Alan Johnson) might well determine who the anti-Corbyn candidate is.

Cooper is dull and colourless but she is extremely clever and a woman. It really is the obvious choice for a party that wants to at least remain competitive.
  • Options
    G: - Free to dream, I’d be left of Jeremy Corbyn. But we can’t gamble the future on him.

Polly comes out in support of Cooper.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/aug/04/jeremy-corbyn-gamble-labour-future-yvette-cooper-best-chance
  • Options
    Mr. L, extremely clever? HIPS don't lie.

:p
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,249
    Plato said:

After the crowds in Camden touching his hem and offering gourds last night, I think Moses would be a step down for JC Superstar.

Financier said:

I remain calm and sceptical that this not all a summer holiday romance. How many of the students mobbing JC will actually vote come the end of summer, or indeed are actually subscribed to the party in some form? I may well increase my exposure to Yvette today.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

I don't think the Fallon quote helped the SNP defeat Labour in Scotland, - do you?

I don't think it had much impact at all. It was a one-off and was quickly dropped.
    With Labour apparently gaining momentum, Miliband’s team prepared to unveil one of its big pre-election announcements, its pledge to scrap the loophole that allowed “non-domiciled” residents of the UK to pay no tax on foreign income. Beales had first proposed the idea in an internal memo two years earlier, but Miliband decided to hold it back until 8 April, a month before election day – despite his team’s terror that Osborne might outflank Labour by unveiling the same policy in his final budget in April.

Labour believed they could dominate two full days of the campaign with the non-dom proposal, but the Conservative campaign director, Lynton Crosby, countered with a trademark “dead cat” strategy – a tactic best summarised by Boris Johnson as follows: “There is one thing that is absolutely certain about throwing a dead cat on the dining room table – and I don’t mean that people will be outraged, alarmed, disgusted. That is true, but irrelevant. The key point, says my Australian friend, is that everyone will shout, ‘Jeez, mate, there’s a dead cat on the table!’ In other words, they will be talking about the dead cat – the thing you want them to talk about – and they will not be talking about the issue that has been causing you so much grief.”

This time, the dead cat was supplied by the defence secretary Michael Fallon. The day after Labour’s non-dom announcement, Fallon launched a deliberately excessive attack on Miliband, suggesting he would betray the country by surrendering the Trident nuclear deterrent in order to reach a deal with the Scottish National party: “Miliband stabbed his own brother in the back to become Labour leader. Now he is willing to stab the United Kingdom in the back to become prime minister.” Miliband’s team seethed at the tactic, though several confessed a lingering admiration for its effectiveness.
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/jun/03/undoing-of-ed-miliband-and-how-labour-lost-election
  • Options
    Plato said:

Arguably, coming a close second is worse in the longer term.

Having a large and noisy cohort of Militant Mk II shouting We Woz Robbed, criticising the winning candidate as Not Real Labour etc will still pull their Party to the Left. Simply through the natural desire to shut them up, it'll undermine whatever policy ideas the more moderate voices want to pursue - and take up time/energy putting out internal fights/plots.

If JC wins, at least it's out in the open and can be lanced in public. Trying to hold the Party together will be JC's issue - so pull the plaster off quickly - or slowly?

DavidL said:

As IDS found former members of the awkward squad asking for party unity get met with hollow laughter.
  • Options
    It'd also guarantee Kendall a frontbench job under a Cooperite regime.

I'd rather she didn't as I think Liz has been much braver to actually Say The Unpopular. She's the only one who hasn't played to the Apple Pie Gallery.
    DavidL said:

Dan Hodge's latest thoughts: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/11781068/The-only-way-to-stop-the-Corbyn-juggernaut-is-for-Liz-Kendall-to-pull-out.html

He seems to have completely back tracked on his "let Corbyn win and see once and for all where that gets us" strategy and is now urging Kendall to withdraw.

I think the problem for Kendall is that there is too much risk in endorsing Cooper of Burnham when they are so close. To withdraw and back another loser would not be a great career move. But a Kendall endorsement of Cooper (along with Alan Johnson) might well determine who the anti-Corbyn candidate is.

Cooper is dull and colourless but she is extremely clever and a woman. It really is the obvious choice for a party that wants to at least remain competitive.

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

OchEye said:

It's a risk worth taking. The alternative - to not challenge what he stands for - is a much bigger risk.

In any case, I don't think that the public are fed up with professional politicians as such. Salmond, to quote your own case, is as much as a professional politician as any: the ultimate survivor - a man who was party leader back when Margaret Thatcher was PM.

What the public are fed up with are insiders who have risen way beyond their abilities seemingly solely on connections, most of whom are SpAds or similar. However, the problem the public has is their over-promotion, not their existence as such.

There are few occupations where customers would go out of the way to avoid someone because 'they've been doing their job since their early twenties' or 'it's what they trained for'. By contrast, just about everyone would avoid someone 'because they're not very good.'
    I agree. The parties that got the beatings in May were the LDs (where most MPs have a background in local government) and UKIP (where there are few SPADs and plenty of real world experience). The parties of SPADs and parachuted placemen did rather well. Scotland was the exception in its millenialist fervour. There may be no love of professional politicians but voters do seem to put their cross by them on the ballot paper.

I think Jezzas foreign and social policies will be quite popular, but the economic policy is his vulnerability. He will need a sound Shadow Chancellor to make a plausible case.
  • Options
    I see that another set of rail strikes are promised for the end of this month, somewhat cynically to end after the bank holiday. Will this continuing disruption to people's lives reduce the potential supporters of JC or just encourage his loyalists to work harder for his cause?

Also if JC does not win, will we see further disruptions at anger at the result - now that the left has got itself somewhat organised again - and will the Unions drop/reduce their financial support of Labour as it is not on the side of the workers in their view?
  • Options
    After AJ gave his endorsement to Yvette, I think that's a fair way to go.

She was always the Dull But Safe candidate, and with Andy flip-flopping all over the place...

Plato said:

Financier said:

I remain calm and sceptical that this not all a summer holiday romance. How many of the students mobbing JC will actually vote come the end of summer, or indeed are actually subscribed to the party in some form? I may well increase my exposure to Yvette today.
  • Options

OchEye said:

I agree. The parties that got the beatings in May were the LDs (where most MPs have a background in local government) and UKIP (where there are few SPADs and plenty of real world experience). The parties of SPADs and parachuted placemen did rather well. Scotland was the exception in its millenialist fervour. There may be no love of professional politicians but voters do seem to put their cross by them on the ballot paper.

I think Jezzas foreign and social policies will be quite popular, but the economic policy is his vulnerability. He will need a sound Shadow Chancellor to make a plausible case.
    Strange to see 3% in 2010 rising to 13% in 2015 described as 'taking a beating'
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Fortunately for Labour, Jezza won't be elected leader.

He's only gaining traction because Alan Johnson and others are absent, so someone with sincerity looks a novelty, especially after a robot-like Ed.

Things would change once he's questioned robustly. He has firm and entrenched views and will quickly turn nasty. Immigration? Bring 'em all in, IS included. State control? You ain't seen nuffin yet. He knows best and is swift to anger. Channel 4 found that out when he was asked about Hamas.

There's a reason that he's spent thirty years rattling around the back benches, and it's not a good reason.
  • Options
    Plato said:

I'd rather she didn't as I think Liz has been much braver to actually Say The Unpopular. She's the only one who hasn't played to the Apple Pie Gallery.

DavidL said:

Cooper (and Burnham) are playing to win in a system where 2nd preferences will carry the day.
  • Options
    Plato said:

DavidL said:

Anyone asking Kendall, or AN Other to withdraw does not seem to understand how AV works. Perhaps we should have a thread on it to clear up any confusion.
  • Options

G: - Free to dream, I’d be left of Jeremy Corbyn. But we can’t gamble the future on him.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/aug/04/jeremy-corbyn-gamble-labour-future-yvette-cooper-best-chance

Excellent news. I shall increase my Yvette holding forthwith.
  • Options
    Mr. Isam, a legitimate viewpoint, but so is that UKIP went from 2 MPs to 1 MP.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    isam said:

OchEye said:

One seat with a reduced majority is not a good result. UKIP was let down by poor campaigning and poor candidates in winnable seats. The fish rots from the head.
  • Options
    Andy U-Turnham ,who is nothing more than a limp and pathetic political weather cock ; exactly how is he supposed to lead and inspire confidence in folks when he is so clearly lacking confidence in himself ; he has an introverted personality completely unsuitable for any major leadership role ...indeed , he couldn't inspire confidence into a village football team
    Furthermore , when he comes under pressure in an interview he becomes increasing frustrated and angry and looks like he is about to burst out into tears and yet this is the person who hopes to be a PM ?...he reminds me of a quivering greyhound in constant need of reassurance ! He has that permanently constipated look about him , like a man desperately searching for a bathroom ...in the last leadership election he almost came last , even Ed Balls beat him , the voters are never going to give him the benefit of the doubt , NEVER !
  • Options
    CD13 said:

He's only gaining traction because Alan Johnson and others are absent, so someone with sincerity looks a novelty, especially after a robot-like Ed.

Things would change once he's questioned robustly. He has firm and entrenched views and will quickly turn nasty. Immigration? Bring 'em all in, IS included. State control? You ain't seen nuffin yet. He knows best and is swift to anger. Channel 4 found that out when he was asked about Hamas.

There's a reason that he's spent thirty years rattling around the back benches, and it's not a good reason.

CD13 - I wish you were right, but have you forgotten how earnestly Labour pushed the line 'as soon as people scrutinise Tory policies, they will realise they don't want them' in 2009? It was a perfectly logical argument, and total bollocks. John McDonnell actually held his head in his hands live on television when he heard James Purnell pushing it (Purnell, incidentally, was unconvincing partly because he knew it was a lie). People were not voting on Labour's policies, but on its record of corruption, economic failure and a Prime Minister widely rumoured to be on medication for mental health problems (ones that I still find horribly credible). Logic wasn't going to win. A fight on future equity under a new, passably sane leader might have done.

Similarly, Corbyn isn't about logic. He's about raw anger, despair, confusion and a longing for there to be some solution for our problems that doesn't hurt people we want to be nice to. The fact that his policies are those of Syriza, which have failed so disastrously and made matters about a thousand times worse in Greece, doesn't matter. Logic is not what's propelling him, and logic won't stop him.

What the other candidates would be better off doing is appealing to emotion themselves - they're all very dry and uninspiring. If they actually came out and said that Corbyn is the likeliest candidate to cause massive harm to the poorest - either through perpetual rule by Osborne or by causing the national economy to collapse entirely - and had to be stopped for their sake, that might help. But if they've done it, I haven't heard them.
  • Options
    Mr. Cromwell, must disagree. Burnham has many faults but lack of self-confidence isn't one of them (or he wouldn't be standing again after the 2010 drubbing).

Also, introverts are perfectly capable of leadership.

Also 2: surely a constipated chap wouldn't be desperately looking for a bathroom?
  • Options

Semantics – and to lose half your MPs at a GE when it counts most, is hardly a triumph.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Barnesian said:

Labour believed they could dominate two full days of the campaign with the non-dom proposal, but the Conservative campaign director, Lynton Crosby, countered with a trademark “dead cat” strategy – a tactic best summarised by Boris Johnson as follows: “There is one thing that is absolutely certain about throwing a dead cat on the dining room table – and I don’t mean that people will be outraged, alarmed, disgusted. That is true, but irrelevant. The key point, says my Australian friend, is that everyone will shout, ‘Jeez, mate, there’s a dead cat on the table!’ In other words, they will be talking about the dead cat – the thing you want them to talk about – and they will not be talking about the issue that has been causing you so much grief.”

This time, the dead cat was supplied by the defence secretary Michael Fallon. The day after Labour’s non-dom announcement, Fallon launched a deliberately excessive attack on Miliband, suggesting he would betray the country by surrendering the Trident nuclear deterrent in order to reach a deal with the Scottish National party: “Miliband stabbed his own brother in the back to become Labour leader. Now he is willing to stab the United Kingdom in the back to become prime minister.” Miliband’s team seethed at the tactic, though several confessed a lingering admiration for its effectiveness.
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/jun/03/undoing-of-ed-miliband-and-how-labour-lost-election

OK - it was an effective campaign tactic to change the subject away from non-doms and upset the Labour strategists. But I don't think it changed the election. An airing on non-doms wouldn't have won it for Labour.

We were discussing - do nasty tactics of playing the man work in politics? This is one small tactical example of it working. Going for Corbyn the man (not his ideas) is a bit more than a small campaign tactic. It might work but it has serious dangers for the Tories, as I outlined above, and they shouldn't be so complacent in their chortlement.
  • Options

Mr. Isam, a legitimate viewpoint, but so is that UKIP went from 2 MPs to 1 MP.

Ah but I was told repeatedly that the measure used is GE to GE and so in fact UKIP gained an MP on May 7th
  • Options

isam said:

OchEye said:

One seat with a reduced majority is not a good result. UKIP was let down by poor campaigning and poor candidates in winnable seats. The fish rots from the head.
    Paint the picture you like best
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,780

Barnesian, anyone who thinks the Tories are ever "astonishingly complacent" wasn't paying attention to their level of planning for the General Election.

There is of course a danger that the Tories could become complacent in the aftermath of their win. That said, it could also be the case that labour are overestimating the level of Tory complacency that might occur by mistaking the celebratory and occasionally overly optimistic mood of the Tories now as signalling that the Tories will not plan and approach matters for the next GE as carefully as the last one.

That is, it ispossible the Tories will get carried away, but it is not assured that they will just because some of their number are getting over excited.
  • Options
    To steal an apposite phrase from Dan Hodges - unfortunately with the momentum JC now has, it's inviting the political equivalent of suicide by cop.

As you rightly note, logic and commonsense isn't registering here. It's all passion and no braincells.

Perhaps the other Labour leadership contenders could ask our resident cybernats for advice on what to do when logic/facts are trumped by identity and fervour?
    ydoethur said:

CD13 said:

CD13 - I wish you were right, but have you forgotten how earnestly Labour pushed the line 'as soon as people scrutinise Tory policies, they will realise they don't want them' in 2009? It was a perfectly logical argument, and total bollocks. John McDonnell actually held his head in his hands live on television when he heard James Purnell pushing it (Purnell, incidentally, was unconvincing partly because he knew it was a lie). People were not voting on Labour's policies, but on its record of corruption, economic failure and a Prime Minister widely rumoured to be on medication for mental health problems (ones that I still find horribly credible). Logic wasn't going to win. A fight on future equity under a new, passably sane leader might have done.

Similarly, Corbyn isn't about logic. He's about raw anger, despair, confusion and a longing for there to be some solution for our problems that doesn't hurt people we want to be nice to. The fact that his policies are those of Syriza, which have failed so disastrously and made matters about a thousand times worse in Greece, doesn't matter. Logic is not what's propelling him, and logic won't stop him.

What the other candidates would be better off doing is appealing to emotion themselves - they're all very dry and uninspiring. If they actually came out and said that Corbyn is the likeliest candidate to cause massive harm to the poorest - either through perpetual rule by Osborne or by causing the national economy to collapse entirely - and had to be stopped for their sake, that might help. But if they've done it, I haven't heard them.
  • Options

Polly is saying that Jeremy is her dream leader. In her prevaricating way she's admitting to a crush on JC.
  • Options

Semantics – and to lose half your MPs at a GE when it counts most, is hardly a triumph.

Who said it was a triumph? Or are there only two options 'triumph' or 'take a beating' ?
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Plato said:

To steal an apposite phrase from Dan Hodges - unfortunately with the momentum JC now has, it's inviting the political equivalent of suicide by cop.

As you rightly note, logic and commonsense isn't registering here. It's all passion and no braincells.

Perhaps the other Labour leadership contenders could ask our resident cybernats for advice on what to do when logic/facts are trumped by identity and fervour?

I don't think that would help much. After all, they would answer that logic and facts support the identity and fervour. Hence the saying, 'never argue with a fanatic.'

In any case, since the SNP gave Labour the worst defeat in the age of universal suffrage on that basis*, it's hardly a comforting parallel for the other contenders.

*Labour now have fewer MPs in Scotland than at any time since they started contesting seats there in 1906.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I suggest that Hodges re-thought what will happen after a Corbyn win in this excerpt. "Meanwhile, among Labour MPs, it is becoming clear that there would be neither the political mechanism nor momentum for an early move against him in the event of his victory. His camp are also reportedly planning construction of a Corbynite “Atlantic Wall” to repel any such assaults on his leadership. By exerting control on Labour’s ruling executive, they plan to push through changes to membership rules, policy development, and – crucially – selections. This will include the reselection of sitting MPs."

The decision on the mandatory reselection of MPs under Foot in 80/81, was a key factor in pushing 28 Labour MPs to defect to a new party. Faced with reselection under CLPs taken over by the hard left, they had little to lose by jumping before they were pushed out.
  • Options

Excellent news. I shall increase my Yvette holding forthwith.
    CIF does not agree with Polly at all - see these comments:

I've read Jeremy Corbyn's policies and they are solid middle of the road social democracy that is practised elsewhere in Europe. That they are condemned as "far left" in some quarters just shows how far to the right the Westminster bubble has become. Corbyn will be pilloried by the conservative press but so was Miliband despite campaigning on a pro austerity ticket. Corbyn responds like a real person, answers questions and isn't another fast tracked apparatchik fixated on career development. Labour lost badly by having a cliche spouting non entity in charge. What makes Polly think that appointing another will lead to vi yin 2020?

free to dream. the reason people are turning to corbyn and a mass movement is emerging around him is precisely because people are not free to dream. people are facing penury. austerity is rapidly turning even the strivers into the barely survivors. corbyn is not some luxury for them he is an absolute necessity. austerity is killing them and not just metaphorically. you might dream of a better world but you dont actually want one. you have to much to defend in the capitalist system. you are one a an increasingly small elite not being squeezed like the politicians who are administering this unprecedented redistribution of wealth from poor to rich. this is no dream. austerity must be stopped.

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    isam said:

Who said it was a triumph? Or are there only two options 'triumph' or 'take a beating' ?
    If Labour were to elect Jeremy Corbyn and the Conservatives were to seek to occupy the centre ground as a consequence, that is doubly good news for UKIP if they can organise themselves to exploit the possibilities. Triply good news if the Conservatives then feel confident enough to indulge their own internal differences.
  • Options
    "A man has claimed he was raped by Sir Edward Heath when he was 12, as police launch an inquiry into the alleged "cover-up" of child sex abuse allegations levelled at the former Prime Minister.

In an interview with The Mirror, the alleged victim, now in his 60s, claimed he was sexually assaulted by Sir Edward in his Mayfair flat in 1961 after being picked up while hitchhiking.

In statements to his legal team reported in the newspaper he said: "I learned that he was MP for Bexley. This answered a lot of questions as to why no-one believed me about the London saga. I got called a liar and a fantasist."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/edward-heath-raped-12-yearold-boy-at-mayfair-flat-10436554.html
  • Options
    Financier said:

free to dream. the reason people are turning to corbyn and a mass movement is emerging around him is precisely because people are not free to dream. people are facing penury. austerity is rapidly turning even the strivers into the barely survivors. corbyn is not some luxury for them he is an absolute necessity. austerity is killing them and not just metaphorically. you might dream of a better world but you dont actually want one. you have to much to defend in the capitalist system. you are one a an increasingly small elite not being squeezed like the politicians who are administering this unprecedented redistribution of wealth from poor to rich. this is no dream. austerity must be stopped.

I'd actually agree with this comment, to an extent - Corbyn does offer people a dream, a hope, a way out. But the problem with dreams is that they are not based on the reality, and very few people are ever able to realise them.

To coin a literary parallel that was drummed into me at A-level, Corbyn is Death of a Salesman fantasy rather than Great Gatsby style reinvention.
  • Options
    Mr. Antifrank, it's an opportunity, but UKIP has two problems:
    1) Farage's hokey-cokey resignation was ridiculous, and is known to be so.
    2) Campaigning incompetence continues. Wide but shallow support is worth little in a General Election. Even with support as a share of the vote surging, this strategic idiocy (and obvious idiocy at that) cost them dear in 2015.
  • Options
    Pointing out JC's previous poor judgment is questioning his ability to do the job, in a perfectly legitimate way.

That these political friends aren't from 30yrs ago or some student aberration, makes it much harder to bat away. And given that he invited the IRA types to tea within weeks of their attempt to assassinate HMG, demonstrates that he has a long track record when it comes to making these sort of undesirable friends.

JC is *friends* with Hamas and Hezbolla now.
    Barnesian said:

ydoethur said:

Barnesian said:

snip

snip

OK - it was an effective campaign tactic to change the subject away from non-doms and upset the Labour strategists. But I don't think it changed the election. An airing on non-doms wouldn't have won it for Labour.

We were discussing - do nasty tactics of playing the man work in politics? This is one small tactical example of it working. Going for Corbyn the man (not his ideas) is a bit more than a small campaign tactic. It might work but it has serious dangers for the Tories, as I outlined above, and they shouldn't be so complacent in their chortlement.

• Options
    antifrank "The prospect of a disunited left would yawn ahead for years to come, even if Jeremy Corbyn was replaced fairly quickly. "

I refer to the Hodges point below. Plans being made the same as 1980 to have mandatory reselections of sitting Labour MPs. Also a revised system for choosing and removing the Leader.
  • Options
    I've already received invitations to join the GE2020 team. Anyone who thinks that the Tories aren't going to push their advantage all the way is fooling themselves.
    kle4 said:

There is of course a danger that the Tories could become complacent in the aftermath of their win. That said, it could also be the case that labour are overestimating the level of Tory complacency that might occur by mistaking the celebratory and occasionally overly optimistic mood of the Tories now as signalling that the Tories will not plan and approach matters for the next GE as carefully as the last one.

That is, it ispossible the Tories will get carried away, but it is not assured that they will just because some of their number are getting over excited.