Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Mayor of London – the first big electoral test for LAB’

Comments

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Andy White of ComRes has given his thoughts on the Labour leadership contest:

http://comres.co.uk/pollwatch-labours-anger-is-the-second-stage-of-grief/
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,163

Mr. 1000, so they're not responsible for the security of their own trains either?

In any event, we agree on altering the law to discourage migration and penalise those who employ illegal labour. And, I suspect, that the current response from the government is nowhere near good enough.

Eurotunnel owns the tunnel and is responsible for its security.

Eurostar runs the passenger services between London and Paris (and Brussels). I don't think any migrants are jumping on the Eurostar trains as they're probably doing 120 miles an hour when they enter the tunnel!
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    @The_Apocalypse Patti can be brutal and tackless :open_mouth:

I've no idea why those millionaires appear on the show. Apparently they get free membership - I think it's about £10k otherwise. £10k not to be humiliated seems like a bargain to me.
  • Options
    Plato said:

I've no idea why those millionaires appear on the show. Apparently they get free membership - I think it's about £10k otherwise. £10k not to be humiliated seems like a bargain to me.

I'm shocked that millionaires even need a match-maker. You'd think they'd be able to get women easily as a virtue of being a millionaire.

I love how Patti was like 'no sex on the first date.' One of the guys looked in pain when she said that :lol:
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,028
    "The European Union today appealed to Britain to show 'solidarity' by welcoming in migrants in the wake of the Calais crisis.

European Commission officials said they expected the UK to take its 'share of responsibility' in accepting foreigners even though it has exercised its right not to take part in any EU quota scheme.

Home Secretary Theresa May and her French counterpart yesterday called on the EU to do more to address the 'global migration crisis' that has seen thousands of people try to force their way into the Channel Tunnel in an effort to reach the UK.

But this afternoon in Brussels, the European Commission said the 'deteriorating situation' showed the need for all 28 member states to show 'solidarity and responsibility' in taking in migrants.

The results of a European Commission survey of more than 27,000 citizens released today showed immigration is now seen as the biggest challenge facing the EU"

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3184072/Britain-told-EU-solidarity-welcoming-migrants-wake-Calais-crisis.html#ixzz3hlcwARtE
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    In 2020, will the General Election and mayoral election be held on the same day?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,482
    Danny565 said:

In 2020, will the General Election and mayoral election be held on the same day?

I would doubt it, given the Scottish and Welsh elections have been postponed. I suspect it will be held in 2021 after a five-year term, and every five years by default thereafter.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    edited August 2015
    ''You'd think they'd be able to get women easily as a virtue of being a millionaire.''

That's the curse of being a rich person though.....is it me or the money?
  • Options
    Stephen Bush was very funny with his tweet along those lines. But this made me LOL

https://twitter.com/stephenkb/status/627029122796097536
    antifrank said:

Andy White of ComRes has given his thoughts on the Labour leadership contest:

http://comres.co.uk/pollwatch-labours-anger-is-the-second-stage-of-grief/

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,017
    Mr. Taffys, ha, reminds me of beautiful people complaining about what a burden it is.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    isam said:

"The European Union today appealed to Britain to show 'solidarity' by welcoming in migrants in the wake of the Calais crisis.

European Commission officials said they expected the UK to take its 'share of responsibility' in accepting foreigners even though it has exercised its right not to take part in any EU quota scheme.

Home Secretary Theresa May and her French counterpart yesterday called on the EU to do more to address the 'global migration crisis' that has seen thousands of people try to force their way into the Channel Tunnel in an effort to reach the UK.

But this afternoon in Brussels, the European Commission said the 'deteriorating situation' showed the need for all 28 member states to show 'solidarity and responsibility' in taking in migrants.

The results of a European Commission survey of more than 27,000 citizens released today showed immigration is now seen as the biggest challenge facing the EU"

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3184072/Britain-told-EU-solidarity-welcoming-migrants-wake-Calais-crisis.html#ixzz3hlcwARtE

We keep hearing we need a EU wide solution and what is it,take your fare share Britain - pathetic.

Let's get out of this failed idea.
  • Options
    taffys said:

''You'd think they'd be able to get women easily as a virtue of being a millionaire.''

Do a lot of them really care? I think the likes of Bernie Ecclestone know full well women wouldn't be checking for them if they didn't earn the millions, but I think they just want a hot woman.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    I wonder if the EU realises that the word "solidarity" is hardly ever used in British political discourse.
    isam said:

• Options
    I've seen loads of them and I never get tired of the parade of horrors/cringing/egos on stilts. I'm amazed someone hasn't punched some of the biggest knob-ends.

LA seems like a horror of a place to date if her show is any yardstick. Everything is so OTT. She did a run in NY too and that was even worse.

Plato said:

I'm shocked that millionaires even need a match-maker. You'd think they'd be able to get women easily as a virtue of being a millionaire.

I love how Patti was like 'no sex on the first date.' One of the guys looked in pain when she said that :lol:
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    The man who led us into the EU accused of paedophilia while hundreds of migrants from war torn Africa pile through the channel tunnel illegally

Have the odds on a NO vote shortened?
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,802
    edited August 2015
    Being confused by these subject combinations.

Read the Comres Link as pullwatch not pollwatch :-(
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,020
    isam said:

The man who led us into the EU accused of paedophilia while hundreds of migrants from war torn Africa pile through the channel tunnel illegally

I imagine the first will have no impact on the vote, while the second probably will.
  • Options
    Mr. JS, one might suggest that self-awareness is not a burden under which eurocrats labour.

Ms. Apocalypse, point of order: billions*, if we're talking about Ecclestone.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,930
    isam said:

Whether Sir Edward was a pedophile or not, I doubt it will have much bearing on the way people vote in the EU referendum, to be honest.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,615
    isam said:

Not the first pro-EU politician to be accused either. Something of an emerging trend.

• Options
    Have you seen the one where the guy brought his entire family to choose his prospective wife candidate? That was really cute/traditional. They were very religious and he honestly didn't have a chance of picking anyone remotely 'unsuitable'.

The gold-digging problem seems to pop up a lot in the show though hardly ever explicitly raised. There's a great one with a guy who's some European prince, he didn't tell the ladies until they'd chosen each other. Another one was a complete arse and pretended to be broke to *test* his dates. Unsurprisingly, they didn't like being judged in advance and I think Patti told him to eff off on camera.

taffys said:

Do a lot of them really care? I think the likes of Bernie Ecclestone know full well women wouldn't be checking for them if they didn't earn the millions, but I think they just want a hot woman.
  • Options
    Are you kidding or being serious?

Voting Yes makes you a kiddy fiddler?

isam said:

Not the first pro-EU politician to be accused either. Something of an emerging trend.

• Options
    Plato said:

I've seen loads of them and I never get tired of the parade of horrors/cringing/egos on stilts. I'm amazed someone hasn't punched some of the biggest knob-ends.

LA seems like a horror of a place to date if her show is any yardstick. Everything is so OTT. She did a run in NY too and that was even worse.

Plato said:

Yeah, LA seems like a nightmare. I'm surprised about NY though. I didn't think NY would be that bad.

On egos, well vain women and millionaires is always a combo that can lead to huge egos on TV - and most probably egos clashing!

• Options

isam said:

Are you suggesting that these types of people are predisposed to be more pro-EU, or the other way round. Ridiculous, either way.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    Khan has been prominent with London Labour in the last few years and presumably has been able to build up some useful contacts in that time. His talk of rent caps,quotas etc. may be more appealing to Labour members and he'll also have the left wing/Ken Livingstone wing behind him.
  • Options
    If LA was all heels, fake cleavage and blond extensions - NY was dressing like Sarah Jessica Parker on steroids.

Plato said:

Plato said:

Yeah, LA seems like a nightmare. I'm surprised about NY though. I didn't think NY would be that bad.

On egos, well vain women and millionaires is always a combo that can lead to huge egos on TV - and most probably egos clashing!

• Options
    kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

Re accusations of child abuse and political affiliation.

If the lists I have seen are anywhere near correct, there are people from across the political spectrum that will stand accused of pretty horrible crimes. The number of possible offenders is staggering. Worse: people who should have known better, seem to have been (implicitly or explicitly) guilty of an enormous cover-up, particularly in the mid 1980s.

Funny how loony conspiracy theories all seem to be coming true isn't it?

A hundred conspiracy theories could be proven true tomorrow, and the vast majority would still be nonsense, there are that many of them.
    And the number of apologies from conspiracy-deniers to the people they called tin-foil hat wearers for believing them would be zero.
  • Options
    I'm beginning to miss @Tapestry ...

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

If the lists I have seen are anywhere near correct, there are people from across the political spectrum that will stand accused of pretty horrible crimes. The number of possible offenders is staggering. Worse: people who should have known better, seem to have been (implicitly or explicitly) guilty of an enormous cover-up, particularly in the mid 1980s.

A hundred conspiracy theories could be proven true tomorrow, and the vast majority would still be nonsense, there are that many of them.
    And the number of apologies from conspiracy-deniers to the people they called tin-foil hat wearers for believing them would be zero.
  • Options
    On airport expansion:

Heathrow suffers from major externality issues to locals, and has aircraft climb out and finish descent over one of the largest conurbations in the world (due to the prevailing East-West winds). Against that, transport infrastructure is good and it's on the right side of London for the majority of non-Londoners.

Gatwick is on the wrong side of London and not at capacity.

Boris Island, as well as being extremely expensive, is really only on the right side of London for fish in the North Sea. And has the same issues on climb-out/final descent.

From maps, a location near King's Langley looks good (just outside the M25) - minimises noise issues at lowest levels (there are inevitably some people affected, but it looks like the minimum plausible number for a near-London location, climb out etc is north of the capital, it's on the side of London best for most of the population (those further round are well served by Stansted to the north-east and Gatwick to the south), close to transport infrastructure (can even have an HS2 stop) for rail and motorways - and existing Heathrow workers could probably commute.

There would be some infrastructure builds and re-routing necessary, but you wouldn't actually have to build the dry land beneath. The Chilterns could be an issue, but height and distance-wise I think it'd be okay, especially if radio beacons are put up there.

Could all be shot down by something I haven't considered, of course, but on the face of it, looks like the best location to me.
  • Options
    Plato said:

Have you seen the one where the guy brought his entire family to choose his prospective wife candidate? That was really cute/traditional. They were very religious and he honestly didn't have a chance of picking anyone remotely 'unsuitable'.

The gold-digging problem seems to pop up a lot in the show though hardly ever explicitly raised. There's a great one with a guy who's some European prince, he didn't tell the ladies until they'd chosen each other. Another one was a complete arse and pretended to be broke to *test* his dates. Unsurprisingly, they didn't like being judged in advance and I think Patti told him to eff off on camera.

taffys said:

Yeah, I think the one where the guy brought his family was in today's ep. His mum clearly wanted a very traditional, conservative lady whereas he wanted someone sexy.

I don't know why the guy had to pretend he was broke. He could have just not told them he's a millionaire!
  • Options
    http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2015/08/what-happens-if-jeremy-corbyn-wins

Regardless of the outcome, the registered supporter experiment is highly unlikely to be repeated, so if it those supporters who have handed Corbyn victory, while the membership and affiliated trade unionists have backed Andy Burnham or Yvette Cooper, I wouldn’t expect Corbyn to last very long. But if the Islington North MP triumphs among due-paying trade unionists and party activists, all but a few MPs will give him some breathing space, albeit, in the words of one frontbencher, in order to “give him enough rope to hang himself”.

Although many opposition frontbenchers will step down – including big beasts like Chuka Umunna and Yvette Cooper – there will be enough people unwilling to accept the reduction in the size of their offices and prestige, and enough volunteers from the left of the party to fill the gaps. Corbyn will be able to form a Shadow Cabinet and would remain in power, although radical change of the party’s structures and decision-making processes will likely be blocked by the parliamentary Labour party.
  • Options
    RobD said:

isam said:

Are you suggesting that these types of people are predisposed to be more pro-EU, or the other way round. Ridiculous, either way.
    No, I'm suggesting that these types of people are more likely to be blackmailable, and are therefore more likely to be persuaded by powerful people to mislead the British public and legislate in a way that is not conducive to the public good. And before you say this is in any way wacky, we know that Heath kept a 'dirty book' on all his Ministers for precisely this reason. It's just never been widely speculated upon that he might be part of the chain.

• Options
    Plato said:

I'm beginning to miss @Tapestry ...

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

Me too, I think diversity of views is healthy, don't you?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    RobD said:

isam said:

I imagine the first will have no impact on the vote, while the second probably will.
    Not at all clear how leaving the EU would help the situation in Calais either.
  • Options

RobD said:

isam said:

No, I'm suggesting that these types of people are more likely to be blackmailable, and are therefore more likely to be persuaded by powerful people to mislead the British public and legislate in a way that is not conducive to the public good. And before you say this is in any way wacky, we know that Heath kept a 'dirty book' on all his Ministers for precisely this reason. It's just never been widely speculated upon that he might be part of the chain.

LOL. We entered the EU because of blackmail?
  • Options
    IIRC he told his date he'd lost all his money due to a gambling addiction just to make the deceit even worse. He was a magician in LVegas and acted like he was David Copperfield.

Plato said:

taffys said:

Yeah, I think the one where the guy brought his family was in today's ep. His mum clearly wanted a very traditional, conservative lady whereas he wanted someone sexy.

I don't know why the guy had to pretend he was broke. He could have just not told them he's a millionaire!
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

isam said:

Whether Sir Edward was a pedophile or not, I doubt it will have much bearing on the way people vote in the EU referendum, to be honest.
    I don't know.. as someone who thought of standing for UKIP I am well aware that associations with politicians long since deceased can be used to smear

I cant imagine the man who conned us into joining the EEC in the first place being found (if it is found) to be a paedo would help the IN side much
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,978
    edited August 2015
    Evening. Good article @thewhiterabbit. If Lab select Tessa then she will probably win, if it's Sadiq he will probably lose.

Re: Paedophile allegations, let the press name someone alive and see this in court, whether true or false it's not fair on their family to make allegations that can't be stood up in front of a judge and jury
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

On airport expansion:

Heathrow suffers from major externality issues to locals, and has aircraft climb out and finish descent over one of the largest conurbations in the world (due to the prevailing East-West winds). Against that, transport infrastructure is good and it's on the right side of London for the majority of non-Londoners.

Boris Island, as well as being extremely expensive, is really only on the right side of London for fish in the North Sea. And has the same issues on climb-out/final descent.

From maps, a location near King's Langley looks good (just outside the M25) - minimises noise issues at lowest levels (there are inevitably some people affected, but it looks like the minimum plausible number for a near-London location, climb out etc is north of the capital, it's on the side of London best for most of the population (those further round are well served by Stansted to the north-east and Gatwick to the south), close to transport infrastructure (can even have an HS2 stop) for rail and motorways - and existing Heathrow workers could probably commute.

There would be some infrastructure builds and re-routing necessary, but you wouldn't actually have to build the dry land beneath. The Chilterns could be an issue, but height and distance-wise I think it'd be okay, especially if radio beacons are put up there.

Could all be shot down by something I haven't considered, of course, but on the face of it, looks like the best location to me.

Build a whole new multi-runway airport in Hertfordshire. Ten out of ten for logical thinking but minus several million for practicality.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Curious how all these high-profile paedophiles are allowed to die off before they are "investigated".

Meanwhile, all those involved in the Lambeth ring are still happily untroubled by the boys in blue, even though everybody and their dog knows who they are.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    'I cant imagine the man who conned us into joining the EEC in the first place being found (if it is found) to be a paedo would help the IN side much'.

Come off it. Heath was aided and abetted by a legion of other politicians who gradually gave up sovereignty without consultation. Heath couldn't have predicted they would do that.
  • Options
    Surely the Bilderburgers must be a secret PIE grouping, as well as being lizards.
    taffys said:

I cant imagine the man who conned us into joining the EEC in the first place being found (if it is found) to be a paedo would help the IN side much

Come off it. Heath was aided and abetted by a legion of other politicians who gradually gave up sovereignty without consultation. Heath couldn't have predicted they would do that.

• Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

isam said:

LOL. We entered the EU because of blackmail?
    At the risk of repeating myself, it is known from the mouths of Heath's whips that he ran his Government by blackmail. It's not something that I have in any way to prove to you. Sorry that I answered your question in a clear fashion so you had to respond with infantile text speak and a straw man argument - it must be very upsetting for you.

• Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    Interesting chart - not sure of time period:

https://twitter.com/paul1kirby/status/627928157862109185
  • Options
    On the Calais crisis - my mum's just been back from shopping, and has told me that our local Asda have a number of goods which look they haven't been delivered at all. If this is connected with the Calais crisis (she thinks so) this issue could be much more trouble for the government than anyone thought....
    Plato said:

IIRC he told his date he'd lost all his money due to a gambling addiction just to make the deceit even worse. He was a magician in LVegas and acted like he was David Copperfield.

Plato said:

taffys said:

A gambling addiction....FGS!

How on earth did he think that would endear her to him?
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Enoch Powell was accused of being part of some kind of sexual deviant earlier in the year... Conservative Home immediately published an article completely refuting any possibility of it being true

Any such denial on Heath?

"There may well have been a sex ring of politicians and judges, plus senior civil servants, policemen and members of the armed forces during the 1970s and 1980s – or earlier and perhaps later.

But if there was, I doubt that it was a “ritual satanic one”, and would stake my savings (such as they are) that Enoch Powell was not a member of it.

False claims that he abused children are part of a narrative that would caricature a brilliant but flawed man as a pantomime villain. He was guilty of many faults, but not this one.

To respond to this trash may risk lending it legitimacy. But a generation now exists that didn’t know Powell, and the greater harm is done by letting it pass unchallenged

The reputation of the scholar, soldier, politician, author and controversialist should be trusted to historians and posterity – not tossed into any passing gutter"

http://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2015/03/enoch-powell-did-not-abuse-children.html
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

On the Calais crisis - my mum's just been back from shopping, and has told me that our local Asda have a number of goods which look they haven't been delivered at all. If this is connected with the Calais crisis (she thinks so) this issue could be much more trouble for the government than anyone thought....

Plato said:

Plato said:

taffys said:

I read that as "A gambling addiction... first goal scorer!"

Which might say something about me
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    taffys said:

'I cant imagine the man who conned us into joining the EEC in the first place being found (if it is found) to be a paedo would help the IN side much'.

Heath was a great man and pulled off an achievement that no other leader in modern times has managed. He led is party to a workable overall majority replacing LAB which also had a workable overall majority. Neither Maggie nor Tony Blair did that.
  • Options
    Honestly, it was bizarre.

Re Calais, I've heard the same thing from other sources. Sky noted that the lorries were backed up 40miles inland right now. It's going to take HMG doing something serious and tactical before it boils over completely/a driver is seriously injured.

Plato said:

Plato said:

taffys said:

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Barnesian said:

rcs1000 said:

I think Zak could win. Especially if it's Khan. Floating, casual or "not that bothered really" voters will weigh it up based on their superficial impressions of the two main candidates, as they did on May 7th in the GE. Surely Zak will outshine all of them, particularly once he becomes more well known and appears on the box more often?

The big issue he has is Heathrow, particularly if the Government decides - as it surely must - before May 2016 that Heathrow expansion is the only tenable game in town.

Either Heathrow expansion or The Boris Island are sensible answers. Adding another runway at Gatwick is not. And the Boris Island is too expensive, which leaves Heathrow as the only logical answer. With Cross Rail finished, and the whole airport hanging off the M25, it makes perfect sense.

The issue is that there are marginal Conservative constituencies in South West London. And I think that makes it an overtly political, rather than economic, decision.

As a Londoner, I sincerely hope we get Heathrow Expansion, but I fear that the can will be kicked down the road, to the detriment of all.
    Either Gatwick expansion or The Boris Island are sensible answers. Adding another runway at Heathrow is not. And the Boris Island is too expensive, which leaves Gatwick as the only logical answer. With the whole airport hanging off the M23, it makes perfect sense.

Same level of logical reasoning and supporting evidence.
    Works perfectly for people living in Barnes (less airport noise and easy access to the expanded airport).

Other people, living elsewhere. Meh.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited August 2015

Plato said:

Plato said:

taffys said:

I read that as "A gambling addiction... first goal scorer!"

Which might say something about me
    :lol::lol:

It means for god's sake, btw :)
  • Options
    taffys said:

As we know, the pyramids were built by space-faring aliens.

If there is any architecture/art that is a bit other worldly, its ancient Egyptian, for me.

And don't forget if you plot all the ancient megaliths that fit the theory on a map of the world and draw lines between them, you create a fascinating line drawing.
  • Options

taffys said:

Heath was a great man and pulled off an achievement that no other leader in modern times has managed. He led is party to a workable overall majority replacing LAB which also had a workable overall majority. Neither Maggie nor Tony Blair did that.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-33755726
  • Options

RobD said:

isam said:

I would think that from outside the EU we could unequivocally deport economic migrants entering from France back to France, and terrorists from wherever back to their home country without regard to their 'right to a family life' here?
  • Options
    Pah, everyone knows ley-lines are as powerful as they come.
    Charles said:

taffys said:

If there is any architecture/art that is a bit other worldly, its ancient Egyptian, for me.

And don't forget if you plot all the ancient megaliths that fit the theory on a map of the world and draw lines between them, you create a fascinating line drawing.
  • Options
    taffys said:

Youtube "This Sceptic Isle"

A documentary that proves Heath was fully aware that joining the EEC was the first step on the way to giving up our sovereignty.. there are files from the time that clearly state this is the aim
  • Options
    ''Heath was a great man''

In his prime he was undoubtedly a very formidable politician.
  • Options

taffys said:

Blimey
  • Options

taffys said:

To be honest, regarding Bernie Ecclestone I'm surprised that they check for him even with the billions.

Robin Cook was the most bewildering though - he wasn't even rich, as SFS was hardly powerful, and we can be fairly sure it wasn't his dazzling good looks or remarkable quality of personality and intellect that attracted the ladies. So WHAT WAS IT?
  • Options

On airport expansion:

If it's not at capacity, it means there's spare capacity, no?

http://www.gatwickobviously.com/
    http://www.gatwickobviously.com/guaranteed
  • Options
    And he was Olympic standard in sulking.
    taffys said:

• Options
    Sandpit said:

RobD said:

isam said:

I would think that from outside the EU we could unequivocally deport economic migrants entering from France back to France, and terrorists from wherever back to their home country without regard to their 'right to a family life' here?

What if France refused to accept them?

• Options
    Plato said:

taffys said:

Didn't he hold the WR for sailing from England to Jersey?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Mr. 1000, so they're not responsible for the security of their own trains either?

In any event, we agree on altering the law to discourage migration and penalise those who employ illegal labour. And, I suspect, that the current response from the government is nowhere near good enough.

Eurostar runs the passenger services between London and Paris (and Brussels). I don't think any migrants are jumping on the Eurostar trains as they're probably doing 120 miles an hour when they enter the tunnel!
    Bollocks. They slow down before entering. Probably going about 30.

(but I doubt anyone is jumping on the trains)
  • Options

Plato said:

You clearly think highly of other women!
  • Options
    Perhaps it was one of those specialist fetish things - Gnomeophilia.
    ydoethur said:

taffys said:

To be honest, regarding Bernie Ecclestone I'm surprised that they check for him even with the billions.

Robin Cook was the most bewildering though - he wasn't even rich, as SFS was hardly powerful, and we can be fairly sure it wasn't his dazzling good looks or remarkable quality of personality and intellect that attracted the ladies. So WHAT WAS IT?
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

isam said:

What if France refused to accept them?

They destroy their passports so it no longer becomes possible to return them.
  • Options
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/587215/Migrant-crisis-Eurostar-UK-immigration-migrant-killed-Paris-London
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Charles said:

Barnesian said:

rcs1000 said:

I think Zak could win. Especially if it's Khan. Floating, casual or "not that bothered really" voters will weigh it up based on their superficial impressions of the two main candidates, as they did on May 7th in the GE. Surely Zak will outshine all of them, particularly once he becomes more well known and appears on the box more often?

The big issue he has is Heathrow, particularly if the Government decides - as it surely must - before May 2016 that Heathrow expansion is the only tenable game in town.

Either Heathrow expansion or The Boris Island are sensible answers. Adding another runway at Gatwick is not. And the Boris Island is too expensive, which leaves Heathrow as the only logical answer. With Cross Rail finished, and the whole airport hanging off the M25, it makes perfect sense.

The issue is that there are marginal Conservative constituencies in South West London. And I think that makes it an overtly political, rather than economic, decision.

As a Londoner, I sincerely hope we get Heathrow Expansion, but I fear that the can will be kicked down the road, to the detriment of all.
    Either Gatwick expansion or The Boris Island are sensible answers. Adding another runway at Heathrow is not. And the Boris Island is too expensive, which leaves Gatwick as the only logical answer. With the whole airport hanging off the M23, it makes perfect sense.

Works perfectly for people living in Barnes (less airport noise and easy access to the expanded airport).

I think the difference in journey difficulty from, say, Kensington High Street to Gatwick as against Heathrow is pretty damn marginal. Surely it just a case of changing trains at a different station (Victoria rather than Gloucester Road). Granted driving is a more straightforward but given how many times the A4 fouls up, not necessarily that much quicker.
  • Options

taffys said:

Also while Heath was PM when we went into Europe, but we had previous applications under MacMillan in 1961 and Wilson in 67.

Heath was a major exponent of joining the EEC but there was widespread political consensus on the issue, with refusniks too across the spectrum.

• Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    calum said:

Interesting chart - not sure of time period:

https://twitter.com/paul1kirby/status/627928157862109185

And how many so called economic migrants have Britain taken this year or last year compared to other EU countries ?

And when the so called asylum seekers were at record levels some years back,what were the number going to the other countries,we have done our fare share over the years,just pathetic that chart for a excuse for more illegal migrants to this country.

• Options
    Oh, no idea - his yacht was called Morning Cloud - that's the sum total of my knowledge here.
    isam said:

Plato said:

taffys said:

• Options
    Plato said:

Plato said:

LA isn't nearly as bad as Patti makes out. There are some parts of it that are ineffably tedious and faux-glitzy, so I tend to spend my time in Socal instead these days.

But I managed to persuade a lovely Californian lass to put up with me. Apparently flying from New York to LA to take her for dinner did the job (although I still haven't admitted that I didn't realise they were 5 hours flight time apart!)
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    ydoethur said:

taffys said:

Ecclestone's third wife IIRC is in her 40s, so he hasn't got a twenty-something. What's more stranger, is that she is a wealthy woman in her own right.

I know that Robin Cook had an affair with his secretary - not much else though. I find that John Prescott managed to attract someone pretty shocking! He's not the nicest guy!

@Charles IMO, there are some women who are 'golddiggers' so to speak. But not all, or even the vast majority.
  • Options
    Oh, now that's Prince Charming quality wooing :love:

:impressed face:
    Charles said:

Plato said:

Plato said:

LA isn't nearly as bad as Patti makes out. There are some parts of it that are ineffably tedious and faux-glitzy, so I tend to spend my time in Socal instead these days.

But I managed to persuade a lovely Californian lass to put up with me. Apparently flying from New York to LA to take her for dinner did the job (although I still haven't admitted that I didn't realise they were 5 hours flight time apart!)
  • Options
    Plato said:

Oh, no idea - his yacht was called Morning Cloud - that's the sum total of my knowledge here.

isam said:

Plato said:

taffys said:

He had 4 boats called Morning Cloud, and once won the Sydney to Hobart race. His boats were serious racing yachts not gin palaces.

Whatever his private life involved, he was a very capable politician, sailor and musician.
  • Options
    Oh the Robin Cook thing was quite urgh. Apparently he was a serial philander too... as @ydoethur notes, it's beyond rational thought.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-467835/The-day-Alistair-Campbell-killed-marriage-Robin-Cook.html

ydoethur said:

taffys said:

Ecclestone's third wife IIRC is in her 40s, so he hasn't got a twenty-something. What's more stranger, is that she is a wealthy woman in her own right.

I know that Robin Cook had an affair with his secretary - not much else though. I find that John Prescott managed to attract someone pretty shocking! He's not the nicest guy!

@Charles IMO, there are some women who are 'golddiggers' so to speak. But not all, or even the vast majority.
  • Options
    Plato said:

Charles said:

taffys said:

I have some sympathy for ley line theories (I think they are electromagnestism, IIRC).

I was meaning the lines people draw that connect the pyramids to machu pichu, to loch ness and the bigfoot, etc and claim that it is some mystical instruction for aliens on how to land their ships
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,978
    edited August 2015

Plato said:

isam said:

Plato said:

taffys said:

He had 4 boats called Morning Cloud, and once won the Sydney to Hobart race. His boats were serious racing yachts not gin palaces.

Whatever his private life involved, he was a very capable politician, sailor and musician.

"Come in Morning Cloud, your time is up" was a slogan used by Labour in the 74 elections, I think. That's the first GE I have memories of.

• Options

On airport expansion:

Build a whole new multi-runway airport in Hertfordshire. Ten out of ten for logical thinking but minus several million for practicality.
    Compared to building it in the North Sea?!?!
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,242

taffys said:

Certainly that was an achievement as was taking us into the EEC - whether you agree or not. But he also lost 3 out of the 4 elections he stood for as party leader - and his petty and prolonged sulking post 1975 did him no credit whatsoever.

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,502
    edited August 2015
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Eurostars don't slow down to 30, not that slow! At Easter, I only just managed to take a quick photo of the Chunnel entrance from the train coming back from Amsterdam via Brussels. Luckily, it was just about in focus :)
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/587215/Migrant-crisis-Eurostar-UK-immigration-migrant-killed-Paris-London
    And he wins the Darwin Award.

Most of the rest are climbing onto or into lorries
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Plato said:

Honestly, it was bizarre.

Re Calais, I've heard the same thing from other sources. Sky noted that the lorries were backed up 40miles inland right now. It's going to take HMG doing something serious and tactical before it boils over completely/a driver is seriously injured.

Plato said:

Plato said:

taffys said:

Jesus Christ - apparently the whole M20 is completely at a standstill. The EU really need to find a collective solution to this migrant crisis.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    edited August 2015

On airport expansion:

Kings Langley? It's not very flat around there. And there are a lot of expensive homes in that area - plenty of well heeled local resistance.

It's underneath the Bovington Stack, one of the 4 serving Heathrow. Not sure how an airfield here would affect climb out / in bound aircraft to Stansted.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    The friendship between Graham Chapman of Monty Python and Ed Heath - could there ever have been two more opposites?
  • Options

Charles said:

Barnesian said:

rcs1000 said:

I think the difference in journey difficulty from, say, Kensington High Street to Gatwick as against Heathrow is pretty damn marginal. Surely it just a case of changing trains at a different station (Victoria rather than Gloucester Road). Granted driving is a more straightforward but given how many times the A4 fouls up, not necessarily that much quicker.
    Gatwick's a nightmare.

In the morning I can get from my flat to Heathrow in 30 mins down the Great West Road, or during the day I take the tube to Paddington and get the Express.

The Gatwick Express is slow and painful, and Victoria's probably 25 minutes journey on the dinky toy train
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

taffys said:

He was formidably intelligent. And great on the spoons.

A lot of blokes of all shapes and sizes end up having affairs with their female PAs. It's the proximity, I guess; and there must be some kind of power angle.

• Options
    Plato said:

Oh the Robin Cook thing was quite urgh. Apparently he was a serial philander too... as @ydoethur notes, it's beyond rational thought.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-467835/The-day-Alistair-Campbell-killed-marriage-Robin-Cook.html

ydoethur said:

taffys said:

I don't know why men like Cook get married. May as well stay single. It's hardly a big deal for male politicians, anyway.
  • Options

The friendship between Graham Chapman of Monty Python and Ed Heath - could there ever have been two more opposites?

There were some similarities too
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Barnesian said:

rcs1000 said:

Gatwick's a nightmare.

In the morning I can get from my flat to Heathrow in 30 mins down the Great West Road, or during the day I take the tube to Paddington and get the Express.

The Gatwick Express is slow and painful, and Victoria's probably 25 minutes journey on the dinky toy train

Gatwick from anywhere north and west of London is much more of a pain than Heathrow; especially if the M25 is playing up, as it has been known to do.

• Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Brent crude dips under $50
  • Options
    Plato said:

Oh, now that's Prince Charming quality wooing :love:

:impressed face:

Charles said:

Plato said:

Plato said:

Because she's worth it
  • Options

ydoethur said:

taffys said:

A lot of blokes of all shapes and sizes end up having affairs with their female PAs. It's the proximity, I guess; and there must be some kind of power angle.

Not quite convinced by the first claim. Must admit I don't know what the second one means. Is it some kind of euphemism?
  • Options
    F1: mid-season review, including a very exciting graph, is up here:
    http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/2015-mid-season-review.html

Intrigued to see if the Spa starts are business as usual or entertainingly unpredictable.
  • Options
    There's a great mystery that isn't re landing strips in secret areas - White Sands in the middle of the salt flats. Used for experimental aircraft and Space Shuttle testing.

http://www.airfields-freeman.com/NM/Airfields_NM_Alamagordo.htm
    Charles said:

Plato said:

Charles said:

taffys said:

I have some sympathy for ley line theories (I think they are electromagnestism, IIRC).

I was meaning the lines people draw that connect the pyramids to machu pichu, to loch ness and the bigfoot, etc and claim that it is some mystical instruction for aliens on how to land their ships
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

taffys said:

Not quite convinced by the first claim. Must admit I don't know what the second one means. Is it some kind of euphemism?
    I think he means some blokes get some kind of power trip over having sex with someone in a technically subordinate position.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

taffys said:

I think he means some blokes get some kind of power trip over having sex with someone in a technically subordinate position.
    Well, that definitely sounds like some kind of euphemism - but it was the spoons I was puzzled by.
  • Options
    Was watching Life of Brian the other day - I'd forgotten that after their backers pulled out, George Harrison mortgaged his house and stumped up the money to make it.

• Options
    edited August 2015

F1: mid-season review, including a very exciting graph, is up here:
    http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/2015-mid-season-review.html

Intrigued to see if the Spa starts are business as usual or entertainingly unpredictable.

Good review Mr Dancer, and glad to see your graph showed positive in the end.
    The second half of the season will be dominated by the battle for the minor placings in the Constructors' championship and whether Rosberg can come close to Lewis where it matters. Was hoping to get to Spa but it's looking like I'll be stuck in Dubai for a few more months - maybe I'll get to Singapore but definitely AD for the last race.