Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » “Private poll” seen by Mirror sees Corbyn with 22% lead on

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,023
    I see Shadsy has pulled all his ricks ;)
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    Unless he's got all of his Lords safely locked up in straightjackets, Farron's taking a bit of a risk here, I'm sure as I write this at least one LibDem Lord will be up to no good with their phone, computer, go pro - or all three and the hoover for good measure. I'd just close the H of L down, save £200 million and sell the building of to the Candy brothers:

https://twitter.com/LibDemPress/status/626020431632465921
  • Options
    houndtanghoundtang Posts: 450
    Who could have imagined a couple of months ago that Jeremy Corbyn of all people would be the runaway frontrunner for the post of Leader of the Opposition? Seriously, apart from maybe Dennis Skinner it's hard to think of a less likely Labour leader. Corbyn used to be my Mp many moons ago and for him to suddenly emerge from relative obscurity like this is surely one of the biggest upsets in British political history - whether he wins or not.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,249
    Fenster said:

Cyclefree said:

Fenster said:

In the land of the blind etc.....

Anyone who lived through the Derek Hatton era is a bit despondent at the prospect of going through it again simply because someone who hasn't had an original thought since the 1970s - and the ideas weren't original then, being merely rehashes of stuff which was discredited in the 1930's - at least by those with eyes to see and brains to think - is apparently the best hope for a party which thought that claiming to be morally superior to its opponents was all that was needed to win an election.

Incidentally I disagree with David Herdson who said on a previous thread that Cooper and Burnham are refusing to say what their vision is because it might scare potential voters off. That may be true but it's just as likely that they have no vision. Look at Gordon: years spent plotting and when he got to be leader, there was nothing there. It's just as likely that there's nothing behind Cooper's vinegary smile and priggish nagging and Burnham's doe-eyed Northern Labour shtick.

I don't disagree with you on Corbyn's appeal. I think it is bizarre that he has garnered so much support from otherwise sane people.

I'm just suggesting that I wouldn't completely write him off as a guaranteed disaster for Labour who'd never get elected. Social media, social angst, short memories and sheer bloody-mindedness can be potent weapons. Put them all together in Corbyn's corner and we could see something extraordinary happen!

I really wonder why the other candidates are not making more of his association with Hamas, Hezbollah and vile anti-Semites like Raed Salah? That is the main reason why I think Corbyn is dangerous. A man who has such poor judgment as to associate with the Islamist equivalent of the BNP is not fit to be the leader of a party with, in the main, as distinguished a history as the Labour party. Flirting with those who worship and use violence should be a bar to being thought of as a serious politician - in a liberal democracy anyway.

I thought Thatcher and some other Tories brought themselves and their party into disrepute when they started shilling for Pinochet when he was arrested here. Whatever Chile may have done for the UK in the Falklands War, Pinochet was a disgusting dictator who had his opponents murdered and tortured. Democratic politicians in a country which does not do that should not have been rushing to embrace him. The same applies to the Left and men of violence and it shames the Labour party that some of those supporting Corbyn are those who seem to have no difficulty with cosying up to men of violence - see, for instance, Owen Jones attending a Sinn Fein summer school. Does the little twit not realise what Sinn Fein actually did?

• Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/11767891/Four-charts-that-show-why-the-euro-isnt-working-for-Germany-or-Greece.html

"The IMF notes that "rebalancing has failed to take place among creditor countries with the large current surpluses of Germany and the Netherlands continuing to grow and moving farther away from levels implied by medium-term fundamentals".

Germany is running a record modern-era current account surplus, and has been in violation of the eurozone's "excessive imbalances" rules for the last few years, without punishment."

"Joblessness has steadily been coming down and currently stands at around 11pc in the eurozone. But long-term and youth unemployment are at near historic highs. The number of people in work is also far below its pre-crisis peak. "

• Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    HYUFD said:

Danny565 said:
    Burnham on 20.6%, Cooper on 22%, compared to yougov just a week ago which had Burnham on 26%, Cooper on 20%. I would be astonished if this was not from the Cooper campaign
    It used to be quite normal for pollsters to report party % shares to a decimal point!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,208

Mr. HYUFD, cheers for that useful information. Was Corbyn established as the frontrunner during that polling?

It was from the same yougov which first had him in front
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,079
    edited July 2015
    EPG said:

I was wondering if TSE could do a thread on how AV works, and why a candidate pulling out may make a difference. There seems to be some confusion over the matter.

If everyone voted rationally, pulling out would not make a difference. People would just move to their next preference; plumpers would lack any preference among the other candidates and would abstain.
    In reality, some people may be committed to vote but don't understand AV and just vote with an X for their first preference. They will instead vote with an X for their next-favourite candidate continuing in the race.
    Some other people who don't fully understand AV may be comfortable giving Corbyn a second preference to indulge their radical instincts, but can't bring themselves to give him a first preference, even though every vote is worth the same. Consider this a psychological bargaining procedure.
    I should add that there is also a third scenario relying on strange vote patterns and preferences. However, I don't consider it realistic in this election.

If Burnham and Corbyn are expected to be the final two; Cooper and Kendall voters prefer Cooper, Corbyn, Burnham in that order; but Burnham voters prefer Cooper to Corbyn; Burnham should pull out so that his voters go directly to Cooper, whose voters would otherwise be expected to elect Corbyn.

I didn't outline this initially because it's not credible to me. It's an instance of how the bottom-to-top exclusion order can affect AV elections strangely under unrealistically complicated preference sets. In reality, preferences are usually reciprocal because candidates are close to each other based on political positions.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,020
    Mr. HYUFD, we should monitor that and see whether second preferences alter in light of Corbyn's status as frontrunner.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    EPG said:

I was wondering if TSE could do a thread on how AV works, and why a candidate pulling out may make a difference. There seems to be some confusion over the matter.

If everyone voted rationally, pulling out would not make a difference. People would just move to their next preference; plumpers would lack any preference among the other candidates and would abstain.
    In reality, some people may be committed to vote but don't understand AV and just vote with an X for their first preference. They will instead vote with an X for their next-favourite candidate continuing in the race.
    Some other people who don't fully understand AV may be comfortable giving Corbyn a second preference to indulge their radical instincts, but can't bring themselves to give him a first preference, even though every vote is worth the same. Consider this a psychological bargaining procedure.
    I see. Labour member, registered affiliates and affiliates are too thick for AV. That explains it.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    houndtang said:

Who could have imagined a couple of months ago that Jeremy Corbyn of all people would be the runaway frontrunner for the post of Leader of the Opposition? Seriously, apart from maybe Dennis Skinner it's hard to think of a less likely Labour leader. Corbyn used to be my Mp many moons ago and for him to suddenly emerge from relative obscurity like this is surely one of the biggest upsets in British political history - whether he wins or not.

And also who would have thought Donald Trump would be 12.5 with Betfair to get the GOP nomination.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,165
    rcs1000 said:

Mr. Jessop, you're concerned one might not be sufficient to invigorate you properly?

One might invigorate me, two might be better, but they might have rather negative consequences on my ability to paint straight lines ...
    Never mind the light for painting will be gone soon. Time to crack open a second bottle and rev up the T7.
    Indeed. But the sooner I get the painting done, the sooner I can nip up to Scotland for a walk. ;)

What are you flying at the moment? Are you a peaceful trader or a pusillanimous pirate?
    I run two ships, an A-specced but unarmed T6, RMS FlyingBrick, is my main one in which I earn a modest living as a trader with a bit of part-time smuggling. The other is an A-specced and definitely armed Vulture, but with 20T cargo space, for my more militant moods. I once had a top of the range Asp, RMS Kevin, but sold it as it was too boring.
    I'm trying to collect one of each type of ship (which will be difficult with the Imperial and Federal types). My main ones are a bounty-hunting Cobra, A combat Vulture, and a T7 for trading.

Now if only I had a little more time ...
    And an Oculus Rift.

Don't forget the Oculus Rift.
    I'm fascinated by OR (and the rivals), and it should make ED an amazing game. Now, I wonder how many brownie points I've stored in Mrs J's little red book ... ;)
  • Options
    Incidentally, a thank you to whoever suggested viewing the "Keys to the Castle" documentary about the couple leaving their Scottish castle after decades. Wonderful.

There is a very good documentary on iPlayer about Srebenica - a charity which seeks to make the young aware of what happened there. Harrowing but necessary work. That Europe stood by while Muslim men and boys were murdered in cold blood is a stain on us all.

I despise those who seek to excuse, appease or suck up to those who preach violence against others, whether the cover is nationalism or religion or oppression or a belief in green cheese.
  • Options
    HenryGMansonHenryGManson Posts: 149

Corbyn's supporters are actively recruiting more people for Corbyn. His Facebook is running a campaign where each day supporters try to get another supporter to register. Bear this in mind!

This is a very good point. The selectorate is not static and every day that goes by probably benefits Corbyn. The union affiliate supporters who sign up and the £3 registered supporters are more likely (though by no means universally) to support him. I just can't see thousands of people registering to vote for the other candidates to the same to degree. He's got about 2 more weeks of recruitment. The wily old fox could do it. The limiting factor is that it's holiday season for a lot of people.

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,185
    Financier said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/11767891/Four-charts-that-show-why-the-euro-isnt-working-for-Germany-or-Greece.html

"The IMF notes that "rebalancing has failed to take place among creditor countries with the large current surpluses of Germany and the Netherlands continuing to grow and moving farther away from levels implied by medium-term fundamentals".

Germany is running a record modern-era current account surplus, and has been in violation of the eurozone's "excessive imbalances" rules for the last few years, without punishment."

"Joblessness has steadily been coming down and currently stands at around 11pc in the eurozone. But long-term and youth unemployment are at near historic highs. The number of people in work is also far below its pre-crisis peak. "

Germany's current account surplus is likely to shrink quite dramatically in the next year. Partly because of China weakness, and partly because wages are beginning to rise, particularly for workers at the bottom of the pyramid.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,737
    EPG said:

If Labour really has hundreds of thousands, or even tens of thousands, of people voting in the leadership election then I can't imagine more than a small percentage being 'sophisticated' enough to vote other than their real preferred order.
    If it was just MPs voting then I could see them doing that, Just look at those who voted for Corbyn to be on the ballot but don't want him to win.
  • Options
    Britain and France have agreed a deal to step up removals of Calais migrants to Africa in what Theresa May, the Home Secretary, described as an “important step forward”.

Mrs May said that after a meeting with Bernard Cazeneuve, the French interior minster, there will be new moves to repatriate would-be illegal immigrants who currently gather in their thousands in make-shift camps outside the French port.

Britain will also spend a further £7 million improving security at the Eurotunnel at Coquelles, northern France, she said.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/11769123/Calais-crisis-New-deal-to-send-migrants-home-to-Africa.html
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,185

rcs1000 said:

Mr. Jessop, you're concerned one might not be sufficient to invigorate you properly?

One might invigorate me, two might be better, but they might have rather negative consequences on my ability to paint straight lines ...
    Never mind the light for painting will be gone soon. Time to crack open a second bottle and rev up the T7.
    Indeed. But the sooner I get the painting done, the sooner I can nip up to Scotland for a walk. ;)

What are you flying at the moment? Are you a peaceful trader or a pusillanimous pirate?
    I run two ships, an A-specced but unarmed T6, RMS FlyingBrick, is my main one in which I earn a modest living as a trader with a bit of part-time smuggling. The other is an A-specced and definitely armed Vulture, but with 20T cargo space, for my more militant moods. I once had a top of the range Asp, RMS Kevin, but sold it as it was too boring.
    I'm trying to collect one of each type of ship (which will be difficult with the Imperial and Federal types). My main ones are a bounty-hunting Cobra, A combat Vulture, and a T7 for trading.

And an Oculus Rift.

I'm fascinated by OR (and the rivals), and it should make ED an amazing game. Now, I wonder how many brownie points I've stored in Mrs J's little red book ... ;)
    I have one, should you ever be passing through nw3
  • Options

EPG said:

If Labour really has hundreds of thousands, or even tens of thousands, of people voting in the leadership election then I can't imagine more than a small percentage being 'sophisticated' enough to vote other than their real preferred order.
    If it was just MPs voting then I could see them doing that, Just look at those who voted for Corbyn to be on the ballot but don't want him to win.
    Ma Beckett got far too clever for her own good :D
  • Options
    houndtang said:

As good as his campaign has been, it reflects badly on the others. If they can't beat Jeremy Corbyn then they really don't deserve to be in the Shadow Cabinet never mind leading the party at the next election. Both Burnham and Cooper are making bloody hard work of this.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,363
    edited July 2015
    Deleted due to duplication.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,737
    AndyJS said:

houndtang said:

And also who would have thought Donald Trump would be 12.5 with Betfair to get the GOP nomination.
    We live in interesting times.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    RodCrosby said:

breaking... US Justice Dept. charges a 23-year old Florida resident with "attempting to use a weapon of mass destruction in the USA"....

The surviving Boston Bomber was found guilty of using a WMD. The US justice system can get a bit hyperbolic.

• Options
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

Danny565 said:
    Burnham on 20.6%, Cooper on 22%, compared to yougov just a week ago which had Burnham on 26%, Cooper on 20%. I would be astonished if this was not from the Cooper campaign
    It used to be quite normal for pollsters to report party % shares to a decimal point!
    In this case it seems tactical, Cooper could have been on 21 point something and the 2 effectively tied. The 5% fall for Burnham from yougov seems designed to put Cooper in front with less change in her score
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

RodCrosby said:

breaking... US Justice Dept. charges a 23-year old Florida resident with "attempting to use a weapon of mass destruction in the USA"....

The Boston Bomber was found guilty of using a WMD. The US justice system can get a bit hyperbolic.
    Nah.

The phrase "weapon of mass destruction" originally meant the sort of thing the Boston bomber had. Its subsequent life was an adaption.
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

The Boston Bomber was found guilty of using a WMD. The US justice system can get a bit hyperbolic.
    A bomb, depending on its size, where it is placed and what it contains, can cause mass destruction. Nothing hyperbolic about saying so.

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,012
    Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

AndyJS said:

Not much point in writing a will anymore. A judge will overrule it if they're in the mood to do so.

NOT true.. No point in being deliberately bloody minded and cutting people out of your will

All reasonable wills will pass muster..
    You're not cutting anyone out because adult children do not have an automatic entitlement to your money. Any more than they have an automatic entitlement to have you provide a home for them. We are not Italy.

I think there is judicial sympathy for children, as opposed to charities. See Gill v RSPCA, for example.

But, in general, healthy adult children who do not receive legacies will struggle to establish a claim for family provision, save in very unusual circumstances.
    I have sympathy for underage children or those who are ill and being kept by their parents or those who have given up work or devoted time to caring for their parents. I can see in those circumstances why it might make sense to make some reasonable provision for the child.

Do those circumstances apply in this case? An adult woman who left home, married and raised a family of her own. She's poor. But so what? She and her mother fell out. So what? Even if it was the mother's fault, so what? Parents aren't obliged to be nice to their children once they're adult.

There is a campaign in the US to get very rich people to leave all their money to charity rather than to their children. Suppose we had the same here. Are we going to have the courts interfere because, well, because why? Because they don't like what people have done with their own money?

I'm generally in favour of people looking after their own families and taking responsibility for their own families. But if they decide that their children should stand on their own two feet - whether that's done out of malice or a belief that it's best for the child or just out of a bloody minded belief that their money is theirs or even, as in the case of the parents of a close friend of mine, because they wanted to pay inheritance tax to the country which gave them refuge from the Nazis, why the hell shouldn't they?

I've read the judgement now. It doesn't live up to its billing. It's not at all ground-breaking. The Appeal turned on how much Mrs. Ilott was entitled to. It was not disputed she was entitled to *something*.

By awarding her a sum sufficient to buy her Housing Association property, she will cease to receive Housing Benefit, producing a saving to the taxpayer.
  • Options
    One thing that I think is worth pointing out is that one of the reasons why Corbyn needed to borrow some nominations was because Burnham had mopped up a lot of left support very early on before then shifting to the right. It drastically narrowed the left pool and once people had committed to Burnham they were not likely to shift away. So had it started at the same time the likes of Ian Lavery would have backed Corbyn for sure. The PLP now has quite a significant left group to it compared to when Diane Abbott ran. So should Corbyn win he'll have a bit more support in the PLP than is implied by the dramatic last-gasp nature of his nominations.
  • Options

Mr. HYUFD, we should monitor that and see whether second preferences alter in light of Corbyn's status as frontrunner.

The left are all putting Corbyn first, Kendall's supporters putting him last, Cooper supporters behind Burnham, Burnham supporters behind Cooper. Corbyn will certainly come top in the first round, he could yet lose on preferences
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Betfair have joined William Hill in an elite group of bookies that I cannot use online at work. Their "upgrade" requires an operating system more advanced than work uses.

Yes, we're antique. But there's nothing I can do about it and it's bloody irritating on days like today.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

AndyJS said:

Not much point in writing a will anymore. A judge will overrule it if they're in the mood to do so.

NOT true.. No point in being deliberately bloody minded and cutting people out of your will

You're not cutting anyone out because adult children do not have an automatic entitlement to your money. Any more than they have an automatic entitlement to have you provide a home for them. We are not Italy.

I think there is judicial sympathy for children, as opposed to charities. See Gill v RSPCA, for example.

But, in general, healthy adult children who do not receive legacies will struggle to establish a claim for family provision, save in very unusual circumstances.
    I have sympathy for underage children or those who are ill and being kept by their parents or those who have given up work or devoted time to caring for their parents. I can see in those circumstances why it might make sense to make some reasonable provision for the child.

Do those circumstances apply in this case? An adult woman who left home, married and raised a family of her own. She's poor. But so what? She and her mother fell out. So what? Even if it was the mother's fault, so what? Parents aren't obliged to be nice to their children once they're adult.

There is a campaign in the US to get very rich people to leave all their money to charity rather than to their children. Suppose we had the same here. Are we going to have the courts interfere because, well, because why? Because they don't like what people have done with their own money?

I'm generally in favour of people looking after their own families and taking responsibility for their own families. But if they decide that their children should stand on their own two feet - whether that's done out of malice or a belief that it's best for the child or just out of a bloody minded belief that their money is theirs or even, as in the case of the parents of a close friend of mine, because they wanted to pay inheritance tax to the country which gave them refuge from the Nazis, why the hell shouldn't they?

I've read the judgement now. It doesn't live up to its billing. It's not at all ground-breaking. The Appeal turned on how much Mrs. Ilott was entitled to. It was not disputed she was entitled to *something*.

By awarding her a sum sufficient to buy her Housing Association property, she will cease to receive Housing Benefit, producing a saving to the taxpayer.
    I have not read the judgment. Why was she entitled to something given the mother's expressed wishes?
  • Options
    New place for that summer holiday!

Interplanetary travel could be a step closer after scientists confirmed that an electromagnetic propulsion drive, which is fast enough to get to the Moon in four hours, actually works.

The EM Drive was developed by the British inventor Roger Shawyer nearly 15 years ago but was ridiculed at the time as being scientifically impossible.

It produces thrust by using solar power to generate multiple microwaves that move back and forth in an enclosed chamber. This means that until something fails or wears down, theoretically the engine could keep running forever without the need for rocket fuel.

The drive, which has been likened to Star Trek’s Impulse Drive, has left scientists scratching their heads because it defies one of the fundamental concepts of physics – the conservation of momentum – which states that if something is propelled forward, something must be pushed in the opposite direction. So the forces inside the chamber should cancel each other out.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/space/11769030/Impossible-rocket-drive-works-and-could-get-to-Moon-in-four-hours.html
  • Options
    Stan James: Corbyn 5/4, Burnham 6/4, Cooper 11/4 and Kendall 50/1. I cannot what I am seeing.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    I wonder how many PBers, their spouses and kids over 18 have paid the £3 ?

https://twitter.com/iainmartin1/status/626110722645213184
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

The phrase "weapon of mass destruction" originally meant the sort of thing the Boston bomber had. Its subsequent life was an adaption
    No, its use in the context of terrorist bombs is an adaption of the original meaning of the term.

http://tinyurl.com/pj45wcx
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

The left are all putting Corbyn first, Kendall's supporters putting him last, Cooper supporters behind Burnham, Burnham supporters behind Cooper. Corbyn will certainly come top in the first round, he could yet lose on preferences
    As a LK supporter I will put JC second, AB third and YC last. The last two are awful, and even JC is a better prospect.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913

HYUFD said:

As a LK supporter I will put JC second, AB third and YC last. The last two are awful, and even JC is a better prospect.
    Are you allowed to support Labour as a Lib Dem?
  • Options

EPG said:

I see. Labour member, registered affiliates and affiliates are too thick for AV. That explains it.
    LOL. Probably a few percentage points of them won't bother with second preferences.

In most AV and STV systems, most votes don't have a complete set of preferences. The Australian House of Representatives is different because an incomplete AV ballot is marked as invalid - so many voters use a "how-to-vote card" to fill out the preferences as instructed by their party! In the Irish STV system, perhaps up to five per cent of voters don't bother to fill out any further preferences, and a lot of ballots end up exhausted because the only preferences on the paper have gone to weak candidates excluded early in the election (elegantly known as "non-transferable papers not effective").
  • Options

Stan James: Corbyn 5/4, Burnham 6/4, Cooper 11/4 and Kendall 50/1. I cannot what I am seeing.

IT'S ON LIKE DONKEY KONG
  • Options
    calum said:

Certainly most of the PBTories let alone the Labour backers and OGH shows LDs are getting on the fun too!
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited July 2015
    The decision of those Labour MPs to nominate Corbyn just to spice up the contest must go down as one of the biggest mistakes in British political history. Margaret Beckett was one I think.
  • Options

houndtang said:

As good as his campaign has been, it reflects badly on the others. If they can't beat Jeremy Corbyn then they really don't deserve to be in the Shadow Cabinet never mind leading the party at the next election. Both Burnham and Cooper are making bloody hard work of this.
    It suggests that a three-person race would have looked like an easy Burnham win, but concealing extreme apathy and disregard among Labour supporteres in the country.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,086
    Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Judging by how many of their 'supporters' jumped ship immediately upon the coalition forming, without even seeing if they might get enough out of it to be worth it, I think it might be required, or might have been.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Well there is always one isn't there! Yougov has Kendall's preferences breaking Cooper 67%, Burnham 26%, Corbyn 7%

http://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/ul79cmahd5/LabourLeadership_150721_day_one_W.pdf
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

The phrase "weapon of mass destruction" originally meant the sort of thing the Boston bomber had. Its subsequent life was an adaption
    No, its use in the context of terrorist bombs is an adaption of the original meaning of the term.

http://tinyurl.com/pj45wcx
    oh you're right. I was thinking of the 80s and early 90s when an individual could certainly have a WMD, but that too was a borrowing from the atomic original.
  • Options
    CornishBlueCornishBlue Posts: 840
    calum said:

Hopefully quite a few. Bargain of the decade in politics.
  • Options
    Mr. Financier, that's a great story.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,009
    houndtang said:

This reminds me of the story of the Emperor's New Clothes.

The Emperor (Osborne) is wearing new clothes that he has recently spun (austerity, long term economic plan, new settlement).

Everyone in the crowd, including the Labour Party, say how nice the clothes are, and that they would like to wear something similar (but slightly improved).

It takes a small boy (Corbyn) in the crowd so say loudly -but he's not wearing any clothes! .At that point, many people say - actually the boy is right. He's not wearing any clothes.

It just needed someone to say it loudly enough for people to hear.

The bubble is pricked. This could be a game changer. The other three would not have changed the game.
  • Options

Danny565 said:

What I really want is Corbyn to signal a bit of pragmatism on foreign policy. I truly believe his economic policies could go down a storm, just like the SNP did in Scotland (crucially, Corbyn would also not really have thebaggage of being part of "the last Labour government that screwed up the economy"), but the perception that he'd be pally-pally with terrorists will be much more problematic IMO.

Likewise.

On Hamas and Hezbollah, his explanation given on Victoria Derbyshire and a few times since was all that he needed to say, and I agree with that - the road to peace must be through negotiation that includes all sides of the conflict.

But like you, I think he will need to show that is prepared to compromise on some of his more overtly pacifistic foreign policy stances.
    Has he been asked why he has done programmes for Press TV, backed by the Iranian government? A TV station which has been rapped by Ofcom for failing to comply with impartiality standards, which gives air time to Holocaust deniers and which is backed by a regime which, as if we needed reminding, hangs young men from cranes for the "crime" of being gay and uses rape as a punishment in prison against both men and women.

And this is meant to be what "progressive" politicians do in their free time? Give me an effing break! That the Labour party of Atlee, Bevan, Bevin, Gaitskell etc should end up like this is really sad.

• Options
    rullkorullko Posts: 161
    How does Corbyn always seem so calm? He must have nerves of adamantium.
  • Options
    Mr. Barnesian, or a public already sceptical about Labour's approach to economics and immigration sees a man who seems to be all in favour of tax-and-spend and to have very questionable foreign policy views become Labour leader.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

I used to be a Labour Party member. Once the zombies of the Brown Blair years are finally dead, I could see myself voting Labour again. Corbyn joined the LDs in opposing the Iraq war after all. On some issues we are not far apart, and even Farage is not far off Corbyns foreign policy, being opposed to Middle Eastern adventures, sympathetic to the Russians though perhaps a bit more anti european. The bit that Corbyn likes in the EU is the social provision which seems anathema to Nigel.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,021
    rullko said:

I take it you didn't watch the C4 interview? :D
  • Options
    rullko said:

He only talks to those who agree with him. Didn't he launch his policies to a group of supporters only with no press allowed? Look what happened when he was questioned on Channel 4.

Rather than being the small boy pointing out the flaws in others, he's more like the one of those Bourbon kings, having forgotten nothing and learnt nothing, unexpectedly back on their thrones as a result of the failures of others (Napoleon) and the machinations of those who claim to be progressive (the English) and surrounded by fawning supporters (Livingstone, Abbot, Hatton, Galloway) who cannot believe their luck.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,528

calum said:

Hopefully quite a few. Bargain of the decade in politics.
    The depths of this catastrophe for labour seem to know no bounds.

@houndtang asked how this has happened. Because a handful of idiot Lab MPs nominated a candidate who almost no support in the PLP.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

I used to be a Labour Party member. Once the zombies of the Brown Blair years are finally dead, I could see myself voting Labour again. Corbyn joined the LDs in opposing the Iraq war after all. On some issues we are not far apart, and even Farage is not far off Corbyns foreign policy, being opposed to Middle Eastern adventures, sympathetic to the Russians though perhaps a bit more anti european. The bit that Corbyn likes in the EU is the social provision which seems anathema to Nigel.
    I think the reasons why Corbyn was against the Iraq war are worth enquiring into in a bit more detail. There are good and principled reasons for being against it and bad reasons for being against it. I don't think simply saying he was against it is enough to show that he was either right or principled, frankly.

• Options
    AndyJS said:

The decision of those Labour MPs to nominate Corbyn just to spice up the contest must go down as one of the biggest mistakes in British political history. Margaret Beckett was one I think.

No, the result in Scotland showed the voice of the traditional left had to be heard too, not just the Brownites and the Blairites and the leftovers from Miliband's Shadow Cabinet, all wings of the party now have a candidate in the race
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

rullko said:

He only talks to those who agree with him. Didn't he launch his policies to a group of supporters only with no press allowed? Look what happened when he was questioned on Channel 4.

Rather than being the small boy pointing out the flaws in others, he's more like the one of those Bourbon kings, having forgotten nothing and learnt nothing, unexpectedly back on their thrones as a result of the failures of others (Napoleon) and the machinations of those who claim to be progressive (the English) and surrounded by fawning supporters (Livingstone, Abbot, Hatton, Galloway) who cannot believe their luck.
    He was seen to have done very well on Andrew Marr (definitely not far-left). He also appeared at a leader's debate on the Sunday Politics hosted by Andrew Neil (the former Conservative).
  • Options

houndtang said:

IDS beat Clarke and Portillo, one a former Chancellor, one a former Defence Secretary
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,528
    HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

No, the result in Scotland showed the voice of the traditional left had to be heard too, not just the Brownites and the Blairites and the leftovers from Miliband's Shadow Cabinet, all wings of the party now have a candidate in the race
    Why? Jezwecan could not get the nominations in PLP. Those were the rules. And then some sentimental idiots decided to clusterf**** the whole process.
  • Options

Mr. Barnesian, or a public already sceptical about Labour's approach to economics and immigration sees a man who seems to be all in favour of tax-and-spend and to have very questionable foreign policy views become Labour leader.

It will be interesting to find out. It has certainly made UK politics more interesting and unpredictable. If I'm right, the Tories are facing a danger that they do not yet see. If you're right, the Tories will get another majority in 2020.

As a LibDem, who got on to Corbyn at 160/1, I'm quite enjoying this.
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    rullko said:

You didn't see him on Channel 4 News then?
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 595

HYUFD said:

Since there can only be a maximum of three counts there is no point in anyone selecting a fourth preference.
  • Options
    What's the economic contribution of Eurotunnel to the UK? There must come a point where the security cost outweighs its continued operation.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

AndyJS said:

You're not cutting anyone out because adult children do not have an automatic entitlement to your money.

Do those circumstances apply in this case? An adult woman who left home, married and raised a family of her own. She's poor. But so what? She and her mother fell out. So what? Even if it was the mother's fault, so what? Parents aren't obliged to be nice to

I have not read the judgment. Why was she entitled to something given the mother's expressed wishes?
    Because the 1975 Act allows her "such provision as is reasonable for her maintenance."

The Act requires the Court to take into account any moral obligation that Mrs. Jackson had to her daughter, the needs of Mrs. Illott, the needs of the Charities, and the size of the estate. The Court found that the estate could afford a sufficient sum to purchase a Housing Association property.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,064
    What were the odds on Corbyn to be the next permanent Labour leader 6 months ago? More than the 50/1 OGH got on Obama I assume?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

They seem to have agreed that voice needed to be heard, but in that case they should change the rules so that not as much PLP support is needed, as surely the point of such a high nomination limit is to ensure whoever wins has significant PLP support. If that's not as important as a broad debate, fine, but it wasn't the system they agreed upon.

And not everyone got the candidates in the race they wanted, Creagh didn't get loaned nominations, her supporters don't get to vote for their first preference (however few of them there are).
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,186
    The morons certainly have spiced up this election.
    Think how bland it would otherwise have been.
  • Options

What were the odds on Corbyn to be the next permanent Labour leader 6 months ago? More than the 50/1 OGH got on Obama I assume?

Ladbrokes would have given you 100/1, much more recently.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

I think the reasons why Corbyn was against the Iraq war are worth enquiring into in a bit more detail. There are good and principled reasons for being against it and bad reasons for being against it. I don't think simply saying he was against it is enough to show that he was either right or principled, frankly.

Similarly, being a conviction politician (as opposed to a focus group tested party robot) is refreshing, but one has to be careful the convictions someone has are not idiotic or dangerous (not that I saying his are, but merely that he has conviction and believes what he says are not in of themselves good things).
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Because the 1975 Act allows her "such provision as is reasonable for her maintenance."

The Act requires the Court to take into account any moral obligation that Mrs. Jackson had to her daughter, the needs of Mrs. Illott, the needs of the Charities, and the size of the estate. The Court found that the estate could afford a sufficient sum to purchase a Housing Association property.

I don't see why people have a "moral obligation" to an adult child they haven't spoken to for decades. Certainly it's not more of a moral obligation than one has to give to charity.
  • Options
    rullkorullko Posts: 161
    RobD said:

I take it you didn't watch the C4 interview? :D

I thought several people would bring that up. I didn't mean he doesn't lose his temper in an untelegenic way when he keeps getting interrupted, in an interview well before the Corbasm took off. I meant, how is he remaining so apparently unfazed by the prospect of what might be about to happen.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Being pro-Argentine, pro-Sinn Fein, pro-Hamas, pro-unilateral disarmament, pro-mass immigration are significant differences with Farage.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

AndyJS said:

You're not cutting anyone out because adult children do not have an automatic entitlement to your money.

Do

The Act requires the Court to take into account any moral obligation that Mrs. Jackson had to her daughter
    I wonder then on what grounds someone is allowed to disinherit offspring, since 'not liking and having no relationship with them' was decided to not overcome that 'moral obligation' (an obligation to provide for an adult who is supposed to be responsible for themselves,but never mind).*

It was also stated by someone earlier this would not apply in situations where someone has left different amounts to different siblings say, but if the principle is that, irrespective of the wishes of the deceased, reasonable provision for the maintenance of any children must be made, then surely it should on that basis, as some might need or 'deserve' more than the parent felt inclined to leave them.

*It's not even that I agree with the woman's decision at all, it's just incredible to me that parents retain a moral obligation to provide for 50+ year old children they have no relationship with. That might be a good thing to do, but a moral obligation, which is also apparently a legal obligation?
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

houndtang said:

The Emperor (Osborne) is wearing new clothes that he has recently spun (austerity, long term economic plan, new settlement).

Everyone in the crowd, including the Labour Party, say how nice the clothes are, and that they would like to wear something similar (but slightly improved).

It takes a small boy (Corbyn) in the crowd so say loudly -but he's not wearing any clothes! .At that point, many people say - actually the boy is right. He's not wearing any clothes.

The bubble is pricked. This could be a game changer. The other three would not have changed the game.
    I don't think there is a majority for a Left-Wing Labour Party among the British electorate.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I'm surprised that Jeremy Corbyn's views on Ukraine and Russia haven't been highlighted yet. I expect the Tories are saving them to swiftboat him, but what's the excuse of the other Labour leadership candidates?
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Well there is always one isn't there! Yougov has Kendall's preferences breaking Cooper 67%, Burnham 26%, Corbyn 7%

http://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/ul79cmahd5/LabourLeadership_150721_day_one_W.pdf
    1. Cooper
    2. Corbyn
    3. Burnham

You know who will be last.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Apparently, Eurotunnel spent 13 million Euros on security over the last six months, which means its 26 million a year. That's compared to 101 million in profits. It does seem like there reaches a point where it's not worth it any more if the migrant crisis gets a lot worse.

Does anyone know if we have people smuggling aboard ferries?
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

1. Cooper
    2. Corbyn
    3. Burnham

Write-in candidate?

Edit: Or would that void your vote?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,165
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

And an Oculus Rift.

Ah thanks, might take you up on that. Then again, I'm not sure when I'll next get an exeat slip. ;)
  • Options

I got £2 on at 550-1, laid it off and rebacked lol
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

1. Cooper
    2. Corbyn
    3. Burnham

Interesting split. What's fun is with my preference...

Kendall
    Cooper
    Burnham

... despite our differences we will quite possibly end up in the same column.
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    Sean_F said:

Barnesian said:

houndtang said:

I don't think there is a majority for a Left-Wing Labour Party among the British electorate.
    WRONG on so many counts.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

And an Oculus Rift.

Ah thanks, might take you up on that. Then again, I'm not sure when I'll next get an exeat slip. ;)
    What language are you guys speaking? ;)
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Barnesian said:

houndtang said:

There isn't a majority of voters for a Right-Wing Tory Party either - only 37% for, 63% against but they still got a majority of seats.

The question is what is the support for Corbyn's views from Labour, Green, , SNP, LibDems and some UKIP supporters, and can this support be focused to turn it into a winning coalition?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Yes. I do not think that he had the same reasons for objecting as Charlie Kennedy. His support for Hamas and Hezbollah is worrying, but things in the Middle East have now got so bonkers that these are now considered moderating forces! Indeed there is a tacit support of these as forces opposed to IS (and willing to fight DS as dirtily as nessecary). We have now reached the pretty pass where even AQ are considered as moderate:

http://www.spectator.co.uk/features/9584112/al-qaeda-has-become-the-middle-easts-moderate-option/
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    My current preferences stand as:

1. Corbyn
    2. Burnham
    3. Cooper
    4. Kendall

It's entirely possible that I could crash back down to earth and relegate Jez to 2nd or 3rd before voting, though.
  • Options
    JEO said:

Apparently, Eurotunnel spent 13 million Euros on security over the last six months, which means its 26 million a year. That's compared to 101 million in profits. It does seem like there reaches a point where it's not worth it any more if the migrant crisis gets a lot worse.

I am sure that if the security situation persists, they will come up with more permanent and efficient fixes for the problem, which will be up front investment but should bring the annual cost down. Imagine how high the security costs for prisons would be if they did not build walls etc..
  • Options
    madmacsmadmacs Posts: 75
    Very unlikely but a Trump / Corbin summit meeting would be interesting!
  • Options
    JEO said:

There doesn't seem to be the same problem at Ostend, Hook of Holland, Cherbourg, St Malo etc
  • Options
    Mr. T, I believe they're speaking in Dangerous. Or possibly Elitian.
  • Options
    Mr. Barnesian, point of order: it's not 63% against the Conservatives, anymore than it was 64% against Labour in 2005, or 92% against the Lib Dems in 2015.

There are only votes for individual candidates aspiring to become MPs. Nobody, ever, gets to cast a vote specifically against a party.
  • Options
    As much as I do not think Corbyn would appeal electorally to the wider public, despite being a refreshing change of pace in many ways, nor do I think he will win the leadership, I can see Cameron having to be careful not to underestimate him - he's a type entirely unlike those Cameron will have faced as leader before, he might have trouble predicting him or dealing with him the same way he would others.
  • Options
    DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106
    Barnesian said:

houndtang said:

"It takes a small boy (Corbyn) in the crowd so say loudly -but he's not wearing any clothes! "
    "The bubble is pricked"

So, what you are saying is "Corbyn is a prick". :+1:
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    OchEye said:

Sean_F said:

Barnesian said:

houndtang said:

WRONG on so many counts.
    People in this UK country are sick and tired of being lied to. From the right to the left, people are disillusioned with the present set up. They are sick and tired of being lied to, virtually on a machine made basis.

GO today saying the UK economy is motoring on a 0.07 basis. My god, (if I had one) I would have sent the car to the scrap yard with that level of acceleration.
  • Options
    Disraeli said:

Barnesian said:

houndtang said:

"It takes a small boy (Corbyn) in the crowd so say loudly -but he's not wearing any clothes! "
    "The bubble is pricked"

So, what you are saying is "Corbyn is a prick". :+1:
    Not exactly. He's a pricker.
  • Options

Mr. T, I believe they're speaking in Dangerous. Or possibly Elitian.

Thanks, but I am none the wiser. Gaming, presumably.
  • Options
    OchEye said:

OchEye said:

Sean_F said:

Barnesian said:

houndtang said:

WRONG on so many counts.
    People in this UK country are sick and tired of being lied to. From the right to the left, people are disillusioned with the present set up.
    People say that, and then they vote for the usual crowd and the turnout has gone up three times in a row - if only marginally last time, and still below what would be encouraging). Sea changes can occur, Scotland proves that, and the danger of widespread apathy turning to dislike turning to wanting to actually change things is one that cannot be entirely discounted (and that's something the EU should also be very wary of), but people are not exactly showing their disillusionment to be so high that a pivotal moment is about to be reached here.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    OchEye said:

OchEye said:

Sean_F said:

Barnesian said:

houndtang said:

WRONG on so many counts.
    People in this UK country are sick and tired of being lied to. From the right to the left, people are disillusioned with the present set up. They are sick and tired of being lied to, virtually on a machine made basis.

GO today saying the UK economy is motoring on a 0.07 basis. My god, (if I had one) I would have sent the car to the scrap yard with that level of acceleration.
    Over the year what's it "motoring" on?