Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » “Private poll” seen by Mirror sees Corbyn with 22% lead on

SystemSystem Posts: 11,685
edited July 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » “Private poll” seen by Mirror sees Corbyn with 22% lead on first prefs with Cooper pipping Burnham for 2nd place

It’s hard to comment on private polling and I’ve no idea about the veracity of it. But I don’t think that the Mirror would be flagging it in the way it is without it having some confidence about the source.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited July 2015
    First: like Jezza!
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    One of the crazy misjudgements of Team Burnham was that the Corbyn second preferences would come their way. If JC is in the lead then his supporter’s 2nd and 3rd prefs simply are NOT going to be counted.
    I don't think that was the misjudgement, so much as Andy taking "the Left"'s support for granted. He started the campaign spouting all the Blairite nonsense about "aspiration" and "pro-business", and claiming even the very timid policies in this year's manifesto were "too left-wing". He seemed to be relying on an assumption that "the Left" would have nowhere else to go.

He threw away the substantial goodwill the grassroots had for him (it was less than a year ago that he was given standing ovations at the Labour conference).
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    edited July 2015
    FPT.Another two weeks before voting even starts despite hustings now finished?! This Labour Leadership contest has been a shambles from start to finish, and there is no excuse considering the Conservatives showed them how you do it properly a decade ago! This will also be the second time in a row whereby the Labour party have failed to use the most importance big set piece of a Labour Conference stage to test drive their candidates in front of the media and a GE electorate instead of just the party faithful, no wonder Corbyn is getting away with barely any proper scrutiny before its too late.

As far as I am concerned, its one thing for a British politician to entertain Jerry Adams and Martin McGuiness at Westminster in 2015. But I seriously question the judgement of any British politician who thought it was acceptable to invite Jerry Adams to London in 1984!
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,031
    Third, and still painting.

I'm wondering if having a glass of wine after completing the first coat was a good idea or not ...
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,472
    edited July 2015
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,115
    Danny565 said:

He seemed to be relying on an assumption that "the Left" would have nowhere else to go.

He threw away the substantial goodwill the grassroots had for him (it was less than a year ago that he was given standing ovations at the Labour conference).

From an outside viewpoint there seems to have been an astounding lack of understanding of their own party all round, Jezza excepted. Is it just laziness, unrealistic expectations or a genuine dislocation between the hierarchy & members?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,472
    Important notice

Mike has just informed me, that he will be on holiday/I will be editing PB when the Labour leadership result will be announced.

You all know nothing major/important happens when Mike is on holiday.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    That ain't "pipping" once you re-allocate Kendall's second preferences.

Burnham 2.1 = lay of the century - if you have £8k spare...
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    The turkeys are voting for Christmas.
  • Options
    Disclosure - my book:

Burnham -22
    Corbyn +23
    Cooper +56
    Kendall -5
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,984
    Mr. Jessop, you're concerned one might not be sufficient to invigorate you properly?
  • Options
    The £8k on Burnham is down to £5k
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

I've had some of that.

• Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    But it's not a 22% lead! In this poll Corbyn leads Cooper by 19.4%.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Burnham and Kendall need to pull out as soon as possible. A direct choice between Cooper and Corbyn is the only way to defeat the latter.
  • Options

I've had some of that.

I would be very interested to know whose money it is. It's very reminiscent of the £2.5k wanting to back Tessa at 3.15...
  • Options

Mr. Jessop, you're concerned one might not be sufficient to invigorate you properly?

One might invigorate me, two might be better, but they might have rather negative consequences on my ability to paint straight lines ...
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

One might invigorate me, two might be better, but they might have rather negative consequences on my ability to paint straight lines ...
    Never mind the light for painting will be gone soon. Time to crack open a second bottle and rev up the T7.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946
    justin124 said:

But it's not a 22% lead! In this poll Corbyn leads Cooper by 19.4%.

I'm sure she'll take great solace in that...
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Burnham and Kendall need to pull out as soon as possible. A direct choice between Cooper and Corbyn is the only way to defeat the latter.

That could be counterproductive by effectively labelling Cooper as the favoured Blairite candidate. She avoids that if Kendall remains in the contest.
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, Sir Edric might suggest that you rebel against the tyrannical reign of Euclid and embrace the artistic excellence and cultural insight derived from a bottle or two of wine.

I, of course, am a sober chap who would not recommend such a decadent course.
  • Options
    FlightpathlFlightpathl Posts: 1,243
    Surely confidence about the source is not important. What is the methodology? As someone has said previously, suppose it is say Cooper's 'private' polling? Well then, if the methodology somehow (heaven forbid) favour's Cooper then 'leaking' it is simply a tactic making use of an implausible poll.

But as for the rest - Labour's system of instant second preference voting, as opposed to actually knowing who are the leading choices, is absurd. The absence of a proper run-off between the final 2 candidates is bonkers. Appropriately enough labour members are blindfold and playing a game of stick the tail on the donkey.
  • Options
    HenryGMansonHenryGManson Posts: 149
    You can get 10/11 with Ladbrokes on Corbyn getting the most first preference votes. This now looks a bargain when you look at this poll seen by the Mirror, the Times YouGov poll and the surge in constituency nominations. I think it's probably closer to 1/3 or 2/7.

https://sports.ladbrokes.com/en-gb/betting/politics/next-labour-party-leader/next-permanent-labour-party-leader/214477998/
  • Options
    40% in 1st round is probably enough. Of the non-Corbyn 60% given in 1st round circa 10 percentage points maybe lost through non voters. Corbyn therefore needs 10+ percentage point gains. Very achieveable. Even some of Kendall's supporters have been giving Corbyn a 2nd pref!
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Mr. Manson, that seems like excellent value.

Edited extra bit: that said, Ladbrokes have fiddled with their site, again...
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,339
    I've endorsed Cooper, as the most electable candidate, but I can see a case for Corbyn too and will be putting him second. Electorates worldwide are in a curiously restive mood, unhappy with all the mainstream option and open to unexpected options - Trump, Syriza, le Pen, Podemos. So "they'd never vote for him" is not as solid an assumption as it was in 1983, and he does reflect the broad concerns that made most of us join the party.

I didn't dislike the Labour manifesto in 2015. But I didn't think it was very interesting. Freeze electricity prices for a bit? Be a little less nasty on benefits and immigrants? Is that it? Maybe we should just stand for what we believe in (broadly what DavidL said in the last thread), and let voters do what they think best. It's, like, democracy.
  • Options
    As you'll see from the previous link Ladbrokes also offer 5/2 on Corbyn and Cooper being hte last 2 standing. I think there's some value in that too. Burnham has the potential to improve his support, but given Cooper will benefit from Kendall's departure the most, I think it's a reasonable bet. It'll be close but it's much better value than the 8/13 on Corbyn and Burnham making the last round.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,312
    Jez we can! :)
  • Options

Never mind the light for painting will be gone soon. Time to crack open a second bottle and rev up the T7.
    Indeed. But the sooner I get the painting done, the sooner I can nip up to Scotland for a walk. ;)

What are you flying at the moment? Are you a peaceful trader or a pusillanimous pirate?
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Not much point in writing a will anymore. A judge will overrule it if they're in the mood to do so.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    edited July 2015

I've endorsed Cooper, as the most electable candidate, but I can see a case for Corbyn too and will be putting him second. Electorates worldwide are in a curiously restive mood, unhappy with all the mainstream option and open to unexpected options - Trump, Syriza, le Pen, Podemos. So "they'd never vote for him" is not as solid an assumption as it was in 1983, and he does reflect the broad concerns that made most of us join the party.

I didn't dislike the Labour manifesto in 2015. But I didn't think it was very interesting. Freeze electricity prices for a bit? Be a little less nasty on benefits and immigrants? Is that it? Maybe we should just stand for what we believe in (broadly what DavidL said in the last thread), and let voters do what they think best. It's, like, democracy.

Support for Podemos goes up and down by the day.

Is that anyway to run Her Majesty's opposition?

As a Tory I am most scared of Cooper. (Well, Kendall would be similar, but judging by the polling she's not in the race.)
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    I think Prime Minister Corbyn would be very Scotland friendly - he's probably got a framed copy of Keir Hardie's first election leaflet:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/64/Hardie_elect.jpg

He would likely deliver Home Rule to Scotland and be nice about it. The best deal for Scotland would be Full Fiscal Barnett ( "FFB" ) with Scotland getting its extra public spending and keeping all of its taxes.
  • Options
    Mr. Calum, not sure that'd be a vote-winner in England.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Thanks a bunch.

I leave up £50 to be matched at 3.7 for Corbyn on Betfair and this article appears whilst I've driven home and done the shopping.

Fucks sake !
  • Options
    O/T:

"Channel gridlock was caused by 2,000 migrants storming Calais terminal

Eurotunnel reveals scale of disturbance caused by migrants on French soil as Kent police reintroduce Operation Stack to ease UK’s roads"

`http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jul/28/emergency-measures-on-kent-roads-to-combat-channel-tunnel-gridlock
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    I really think Corbyn will win. Although it's still just under two months to go, all the momentum is behind him.

It will be hilarious if Burnham comes 3rd though. Leadership elections really aren't his forte....
  • Options

Indeed. But the sooner I get the painting done, the sooner I can nip up to Scotland for a walk. ;)

What are you flying at the moment? Are you a peaceful trader or a pusillanimous pirate?
    I run two ships, an A-specced but unarmed T6, RMS FlyingBrick, is my main one in which I earn a modest living as a trader with a bit of part-time smuggling. The other is an A-specced and definitely armed Vulture, but with 20T cargo space, for my more militant moods. I once had a top of the range Asp, RMS Kevin, but sold it as it was too boring.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Prima face those are quite good figures for Cooper. If she leads Burnham before Kendall is eliminated then a Corbyn v Cooper final round looks pretty certain. It's perhaps a bit surprising that Corbyn has not gained further momentum following the earlier YouGov poll that gave him 43%..
  • Options
    Ms. Apocalypse, Burnham has a forte?
  • Options
    Have they started sending the voting papers out yet?
    It would be really helpful if TSE could do a thread on the nuances of LAB's electoral method to those of us that are a bit unsure how the system works.
    I'm currently planning
    1 LK, 2 JC, 3 YC, 4 AB
  • Options
    FlightpathlFlightpathl Posts: 1,243

As a Tory I am most scared of Cooper. (Well, Kendall would be similar, but judging by the polling she's not in the race.)
    Mt Palmer says ... ''I've endorsed Cooper, as the most electable candidate, but I can see a case for Corbyn too ''
    I mean I ask you! No wonder Labour are in a mess.
  • Options
    handandmousehandandmouse Posts: 213
    From the article:

"But once second preferences have been taken into account the veteran leftwinger is ahead by just two points on 51% to Ms Cooper’s 49%."

That's very tight, given his huge lead on 1st prefs. According to this polling, JC is picking up surprisingly few 2nd prefs even from Burnham...
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited July 2015

Ms. Apocalypse, Burnham has a forte?

I think his main forte is supporting Everton. He's very good at that ;)

@handandmouse If it's that close, then it may still be all to play for.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Mr. 124, not so sure about that. In a four horse race to be scoring over 40% is pretty strong. As with party polling, there are floors and ceilings to support, and Corbyn must be near his ceiling for first preferences.

Edited extra bit: Ms. Apocalypse, a good point.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    AndyJS said:

O/T:

Eurotunnel reveals scale of disturbance caused by migrants on French soil as Kent police reintroduce Operation Stack to ease UK’s roads"

`http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jul/28/emergency-measures-on-kent-roads-to-combat-channel-tunnel-gridlock

Time to tell the French that if they can't control their own borders, 2 Para will.
  • Options
    woody662woody662 Posts: 255
    5-2 is starting to look massive, I've put my first bet on and I may top up. Momentum seems to be all with Corbyn.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    AndyJS said:

Not much point in writing a will anymore. A judge will overrule it if they're in the mood to do so.

NOT true.. No point in being deliberately bloody minded and cutting people out of your will

All reasonable wills will pass muster..
  • Options

I run two ships, an A-specced but unarmed T6, RMS FlyingBrick, is my main one in which I earn a modest living as a trader with a bit of part-time smuggling. The other is an A-specced and definitely armed Vulture, but with 20T cargo space, for my more militant moods. I once had a top of the range Asp, RMS Kevin, but sold it as it was too boring.
    I'm trying to collect one of each type of ship (which will be difficult with the Imperial and Federal types). My main ones are a bounty-hunting Cobra, A combat Vulture, and a T7 for trading.

Now if only I had a little more time ...
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Latest (7:06pm):

Burnham 2.7 / 2.9
    Corbyn 2.86 / 3.1
    Cooper 3.75 / 3.95
    Kendall 46 / 55

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/#/politics/market/1.103946886
  • Options
    watford30 said:

AndyJS said:

O/T:

Time to tell the French that if they can't control their own borders, 2 Para will.

Good suggestion, Mr. 30. I have a map around somewhere which shows the borders we would control under this new arrangement. I mean if the Frogs want us to control Calais we might as well do it properly as we did in the past (until Mary I got her incompetent hands on the throne) Come to that we might as well go the whole hog and revert to the Treaty of Troyes, which the Frogs treacherously broke.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    edited July 2015
    What a mess when its actually being suggested that two candidates who managed to genuinely garner enough nominations pull out of the race to stop the last minute wild card from winning?
    AndyJS said:

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205

AndyJS said:

NOT true.. No point in being deliberately bloody minded and cutting people out of your will

You're not cutting anyone out because adult children do not have an automatic entitlement to your money. Any more than they have an automatic entitlement to have you provide a home for them. We are not Italy.

• Options
    I cannot see Burnham withdrawing. Given he's generally a little ahead of Cooper, it just won't happen.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    edited July 2015
    AndyJS said:

Burnham 2.7 / 2.9
    Corbyn 2.86 / 3.1
    Cooper 3.75 / 3.95
    Kendall 46 / 55

Why has this private poll (of which we have no idea its methodology or who commissioned it) moved the betting, when the YouGov poll didn't?
  • Options

I'm trying to collect one of each type of ship (which will be difficult with the Imperial and Federal types). My main ones are a bounty-hunting Cobra, A combat Vulture, and a T7 for trading.

Time,, thats a thing, as I am sure you will know, that ED will swallow wholesale. So crack on, Mr. J. Get them walls and doors painted. I am off for a nice bit of flying in Cliffs of Dover this evening,
  • Options
    Artist said:

AndyJS said:

Burnham 2.7 / 2.9
    Corbyn 2.86 / 3.1
    Cooper 3.75 / 3.95
    Kendall 46 / 55

Why has this private poll (of which we have no idea what its methodology is or who commissioned it) moved the betting, when the YouGov poll didn't?
    Good question.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,856

Nick, as someone else in the non-Conservative camp, I'm interested in your viewpoint. I think abandoning the economic battlefield to austerity and rehashed monetarism has been a big mistake by your party.

The notion the only way for the poor to get a little richer is for the very rich to get much richer needs to be challenged. For all the talk of the amount of taxation paid by the wealthy, a pint of milk, a gallon of fuel, a loaf of bread or a house costs the same irrespective of your income.

The question then is do you pursue an actively redistributionist agenda where those things that the very rich have in abundance whether they be material in terms of luxury goods or physical in terms of land and buildings become the focus of "wealth" taxation ?

As for David Cameron's speech on corruption today, Mrs Stodge, who works in financial compliance, opined as to how many estate agents employ AML (Anti Money Laundering) teams or whether they are simply happy to take their commission as dodgy money.
  • Options
    Mr. JS, in The Political Punter (available at all good bookshops) it was noted that in one leadership contest, I think Clegg Vs Huhne, the markets were deliberately moved by an individual/group with a vested interest in promoting one side or the other.
  • Options
    About 3.5k just went across the table at 2.9 on Corbyn on Betfair
  • Options
    I think the reason why this poll has moved betting 'more than the last' is that there is a sense it corroborates YouGov. Plus there are so many other indicators that have since emerged that point to a very strong performance from Jeremy Corbyn and potential victory. Articles like this http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2015/07/im-more-convinced-ever-jeremy-corbyn-going-win but also the lead that's emerging in constituency nominations. Given how late Corbyn was to the race, this is quite impressive.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Betting Post:

Andy Burnham NOT to win @ 4-6 Ladbrokes.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

I think the reason why this poll has moved betting 'more than the last' is that there is a sense it corroborates YouGov. Plus there are so many other indicators that have since emerged that point to a very strong performance from Jeremy Corbyn and potential victory. Articles like this http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2015/07/im-more-convinced-ever-jeremy-corbyn-going-win but also the lead that's emerging in constituency nominations. Given how late Corbyn was to the race, this is quite impressive.

Cheers HenryG - all good points imho.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    Cyclefree said:

AndyJS said:

You're not cutting anyone out because adult children do not have an automatic entitlement to your money. Any more than they have an automatic entitlement to have you provide a home for them. We are not Italy.

I think there is judicial sympathy for children, as opposed to charities. See Gill v RSPCA, for example.

But, in general, healthy adult children who do not receive legacies will struggle to establish a claim for family provision, save in very unusual circumstances.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    I think Nick Palmer is right about a restiveness among the electorate and I increasingly believe Corbyn could win this.

If he becomes leader and awakens the imaginations of the apathetic across the country with his policies the Tories will have an unusual fight on their hands countering it. The restiveness Nick mentions is not to be taken lightly. My otherwise normal and sound Labour supporting friends were almost unanimously behind Corbyn last week.

If he does win and wins well, would the parliamentary party dare to move quickly against him in a coup?

Credit to Corbyn for making politics seriously interesting.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,011
    edited July 2015
    This 'private poll' would not happen to be from the Cooper campaign would it? As while the Corbyn and Kendall totals roughly chime with yougov, Burnham is polling about 5% less than he was with yougov and has been miraculously overtaken by Cooper in less than a week!
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    Will CA judgement: the same people who spend their time talking about greed of various charities find themselves siding with the RSPCA et al. Strange bedfellows. From what I've read, I'm glad that the vindictive old hag partially lost: a very fact specific case and the approach of the charities has been sub-optimal.

A far bett judgement to read, if you're desperately keen, is Peter Smith J recusing himself from the Emerald vs BA cartel litigation. It's on Bailii although I have no idea how to link through from an iPad (and even accessing PB is a PITA from an iPad). Even judges have a sense of humour, it appears.
  • Options

About 3.5k just went across the table at 2.9 on Corbyn on Betfair

I have £20k + in the green on Corbyn. Wanting to shift some of it ;)
  • Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897
    BBC story "Andy Burnham suggests new social care tax"...

Damage control already?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    matt said:

Will CA judgement: the same people who spend their time talking about greed of various charities find themselves siding with the RSPCA et al. Strange bedfellows. From what I've read, I'm glad that the vindictive old hag partially lost: a very fact specific case and the approach of the charities has been sub-optimal.

A far bett judgement to read, if you're desperately keen, is Peter Smith J recusing himself from the Emerald vs BA cartel litigation. It's on Bailii although I have no idea how to link through from an iPad (and even accessing PB is a PITA from an iPad). Even judges have a sense of humour, it appears.

My advice to a charity in a similar case would always be to make a reasonable offer of settlement. That is always viewed favourably, when the Judges are deciding how to award costs.
  • Options
    fitalass said:

What a mess when its actually being suggested that two candidates who managed to genuinely garner enough nominations pull out of the race to stop the last minute wild card from winning?

AndyJS said:

Rubbish, yougov showed Corbyn beating Cooper by a wider margin on preferences than he beat Burnham
  • Options
    edited July 2015

AndyJS said:

Yougov showed Corbyn beating Cooper by a wider margin on preferences than he beat Burnham
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013
    The election is in September. I'm not saying it'll definitely be meaningfully different to polls today, but there is plenty of time for somebody to say something brilliant or stupid. Your guess as to which is more likely in this campaign.
  • Options
    Mr. HYUFD, I wonder if Cooper and Burnham supporters will each put Corbyn as second preference, assuming his leadership won't last and their first choice candidate might get a second shot at it.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

AndyJS said:

I think there is judicial sympathy for children, as opposed to charities. See Gill v RSPCA, for example.

But, in general, healthy adult children who do not receive legacies will struggle to establish a claim for family provision, save in very unusual circumstances.
    I have sympathy for underage children or those who are ill and being kept by their parents or those who have given up work or devoted time to caring for their parents. I can see in those circumstances why it might make sense to make some reasonable provision for the child.

Do those circumstances apply in this case? An adult woman who left home, married and raised a family of her own. She's poor. But so what? She and her mother fell out. So what? Even if it was the mother's fault, so what? Parents aren't obliged to be nice to their children once they're adult.

There is a campaign in the US to get very rich people to leave all their money to charity rather than to their children. Suppose we had the same here. Are we going to have the courts interfere because, well, because why? Because they don't like what people have done with their own money?

I'm generally in favour of people looking after their own families and taking responsibility for their own families. But if they decide that their children should stand on their own two feet - whether that's done out of malice or a belief that it's best for the child or just out of a bloody minded belief that their money is theirs or even, as in the case of the parents of a close friend of mine, because they wanted to pay inheritance tax to the country which gave them refuge from the Nazis, why the hell shouldn't they?

• Options

Corbyn would be more dangerous than Cooper, Cooper's poll ratings have been consistently negative with Mori, ORB and yougov, she polls worse than Burnham and Kendall in England and Wales and worse than Corbyn in Scotland. Polls show Cooper is a complete electoral turn off, the Tories have little to fear from her! At best she would do a Michael Howard job, but that is not guaranteed
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited July 2015
    The more the other three bunch together, the better for Corbyn.

Looking like provided the against/for transfer ratio is no worse than about 5, he's in...
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    Fenster said:

I think Nick Palmer is right about a restiveness among the electorate and I increasingly believe Corbyn could win this.

If he becomes leader and awakens the imaginations of the apathetic across the country with his policies the Tories will have an unusual fight on their hands countering it. The restiveness Nick mentions is not to be taken lightly. My otherwise normal and sound Labour supporting friends were almost unanimously behind Corbyn last week.

If he does win and wins well, would the parliamentary party dare to move quickly against him in a coup?

Is it really Corbyn's doing? I think whoever the Left put up would have benefitted from this.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    What I really want is Corbyn to signal a bit of pragmatism on foreign policy. I truly believe his economic policies could go down a storm, just like the SNP did in Scotland (crucially, Corbyn would also not really have thebaggage of being part of "the last Labour government that screwed up the economy"), but the perception that he'd be pally-pally with terrorists will be much more problematic IMO.
  • Options

Mr. HYUFD, I wonder if Cooper and Burnham supporters will each put Corbyn as second preference, assuming his leadership won't last and their first choice candidate might get a second shot at it.

I think the likelihood of Burnham going for a 3rd time are zilch and very unlikely for Cooper to run again if she loses. Her heart doesn't quite seem in it this time, she hasn't sparkled (to my disappointment) and of course she ducked out last time to allow Balls to run.

• Options

And Sanders. Cooper followed by Corbyn is the worst possible combination for Labour in my view
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Pauly said:

BBC story "Andy Burnham suggests new social care tax"...

Damage control already?

Burnham is the only 1 of the 4 candidates who has not outright said the Inheritance Tax cut was wrong, however he has said he will introduce a 10% social care tax on estates instead
  • Options
    The real story of this poll is Burnham going backwards. He's been hurt quite badly by the Welfare Bill vote though he can pick it up a bit.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Fenster said:

In the land of the blind etc.....

Anyone who lived through the Derek Hatton era is a bit despondent at the prospect of going through it again simply because someone who hasn't had an original thought since the 1970s - and the ideas weren't original then, being merely rehashes of stuff which was discredited in the 1930's - at least by those with eyes to see and brains to think - is apparently the best hope for a party which thought that claiming to be morally superior to its opponents was all that was needed to win an election.

Incidentally I disagree with David Herdson who said on a previous thread that Cooper and Burnham are refusing to say what their vision is because it might scare potential voters off. That may be true but it's just as likely that they have no vision. Look at Gordon: years spent plotting and when he got to be leader, there was nothing there. It's just as likely that there's nothing behind Cooper's vinegary smile and priggish nagging and Burnham's doe-eyed Northern Labour shtick.

• Options
    Corbyn's supporters are actively recruiting more people for Corbyn. His Facebook is running a campaign where each day supporters try to get another supporter to register. Bear this in mind!

Also, I think unison are still to back someone. They emailed the other day asking members who they wished to back, and I gather the majority emailed for Corbyn.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    I was wondering if TSE could do a thread on how AV works, and why a candidate pulling out may make a difference. There seems to be some confusion over the matter.
  • Options
    Mr. Manson, Cooper does seem lacklustre.

Not sure I agree on Burnham. He did badly last time and he's unimpressive now. I can see him trying again, and again.
  • Options
    Let us also bear in mind if Burnham was polling like this he'd be at least 1/2 by now. Corbyn is still value!
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    Sean_F said:

matt said:

My advice to a charity in a similar case would always be to make a reasonable offer of settlement. That is always viewed favourably, when the Judges are deciding how to award costs.
    My advice would have been to settle before it reached court on the basis of strict confidentiality so that the compromise doesn't leak. Lose the battle but the war continues. Unfortunately some clients are overconfident and I wonder whether working for a charity gives a moral boost to that over confidence. As I said, very fact specific and much overexcitable extrapolation.
  • Options
    Mr. 565, you mean Liz Kendall isn't on eleventy percent*?

*Being serious, I think she's a little higher.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    edited July 2015
    Cyclefree said:

Fenster said:

In the land of the blind etc.....

Anyone who lived through the Derek Hatton era is a bit despondent at the prospect of going through it again simply because someone who hasn't had an original thought since the 1970s - and the ideas weren't original then, being merely rehashes of stuff which was discredited in the 1930's - at least by those with eyes to see and brains to think - is apparently the best hope for a party which thought that claiming to be morally superior to its opponents was all that was needed to win an election.

Incidentally I disagree with David Herdson who said on a previous thread that Cooper and Burnham are refusing to say what their vision is because it might scare potential voters off. That may be true but it's just as likely that they have no vision. Look at Gordon: years spent plotting and when he got to be leader, there was nothing there. It's just as likely that there's nothing behind Cooper's vinegary smile and priggish nagging and Burnham's doe-eyed Northern Labour shtick.

I don't disagree with you on Corbyn's appeal. I think it is bizarre that he has garnered so much support from otherwise sane people.

I'm just suggesting that I wouldn't completely write him off as a guaranteed disaster for Labour who'd never get elected. Social media, social angst, short memories and sheer bloody-mindedness can be potent weapons. Put them all together in Corbyn's corner and we could see something extraordinary happen!

• Options

Yougov had Cooper's preferences breaking 44% Burnham. 22% Corbyn, 15% Kendall, Burnham's preferences breaking 52% Cooper, 26% Corbyn, 10% Kendall
    http://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/ul79cmahd5/LabourLeadership_150721_day_one_W.pdf
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    JEO said:

Fenster said:

Is it really Corbyn's doing? I think whoever the Left put up would have benefitted from this.
    He is fine as a candidate. Nothing particularly special, and just extreme enough to tell it like he sees it. Whoever the Left put up might be doing as well as he.

Some points that I think help him as a candidate:
    It helps that he is an old white man, as it makes him seem more avuncular and less radical than, say, Diane Abbott, as a radical black woman, who could not realistically attain the same status in 2010.
    It helps that he seems to have a very "normal" lifestyle, albeit abnormal for an MP - facilitated by his Inner London constituency. It suits the era of austerity to have a teetotal, cycling, quasi-Roundhead figure, rather than, say, a Yanis Varoufakis impersonator.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001

And an Oculus Rift.

Don't forget the Oculus Rift.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    breaking... US Justice Dept. charges a 23-year old Florida resident with "attempting to use a weapon of mass destruction in the USA"....
  • Options
    Mr. HYUFD, cheers for that useful information. Was Corbyn established as the frontrunner during that polling?
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

What I really want is Corbyn to signal a bit of pragmatism on foreign policy. I truly believe his economic policies could go down a storm, just like the SNP did in Scotland (crucially, Corbyn would also not really have thebaggage of being part of "the last Labour government that screwed up the economy"), but the perception that he'd be pally-pally with terrorists will be much more problematic IMO.

Likewise.

On Hamas and Hezbollah, his explanation given on Victoria Derbyshire and a few times since was all that he needed to say, and I agree with that - the road to peace must be through negotiation that includes all sides of the conflict.

But like you, I think he will need to show that is prepared to compromise on some of his more overtly pacifistic foreign policy stances.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:
    Burnham on 20.6%, Cooper on 22%, compared to yougov just a week ago which had Burnham on 26%, Cooper on 20%. I would be astonished if this was not from the Cooper campaign
  • Options
    Mr. Crosby, assuming biological or chemical warfare, it sounds like.

When the ebola outbreak was spiking there were rumours ISIS were trying to get it further afield.
  • Options

I was wondering if TSE could do a thread on how AV works, and why a candidate pulling out may make a difference. There seems to be some confusion over the matter.

If everyone voted rationally, pulling out would not make a difference. People would just move to their next preference; plumpers would lack any preference among the other candidates and would abstain.
    In reality, some people may be committed to vote but don't understand AV and just vote with an X for their first preference. They will instead vote with an X for their next-favourite candidate continuing in the race.
    Some other people who don't fully understand AV may be comfortable giving Corbyn a second preference to indulge their radical instincts, but can't bring themselves to give him a first preference, even though every vote is worth the same. Consider this a psychological bargaining procedure.