Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The LAB leadership betting moves back to the boys

Comments

• Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    edited July 2015
    OT I've seen a couple of episodes of Talking Pictures [really old Parkies and other intv compilations on BBC2] and I'd forgotten this totally brilliant Gene Kelly scene. I know we've a few old musical comedy fans on here - thought you'd enjoy this reminder. Tap dancing on roller-skates.

The genre changes are immense - when this stuff was popular, 3% of movies were *action* - now it's 60% accordingly to IMDb. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZYS2rKh01U?t=2m0s
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited July 2015

Michael Gove is just an idealogue, tbh. For all this 'he cares about young people' there are more young people than not who disagree with his reforms.

I didn't ask whether you, or anyone else for that matter, disagreed with his reforms. I challenged you not on whether Gove had the right policies, but on whether he cared about young people.

What is it about you on the left that makes so many of you utterly incapable of understanding that people who advocate different solutions than those you advocate might care just as much, and be just as passionate about wanting to improve things, as you? It really is a most extraordinary blindness of the left.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,019
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,064

Michael Gove is just an idealogue, tbh. For all this 'he cares about young people' there are more young people than not who disagree with his reforms.

I didn't ask whether you, or anyone else for that matter, disagreed with his reforms. I challenged you not on whether Gove had the right policies, but on whether he cared about young people.

What is it about you on the left that makes so many of you utterly incapable of understanding that people who advocate different solutions than those you advocate might care just as much, and be just as passionate about wanting to improve things, as you? It really is a most extraordinary blindness of the left.
    I wouldn't suggest that no-one on the right cares. Cameron and Osborne plainly don't (but then there are a fair few Labour politicians who don't either) but perhaps IDS and Gove do. The problem for me is that those on the right who do appear to care tend to be rather scary zealots.

On topic, when did OGH join the Labour party? Has he given up on the Lib Dems?
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830

Yes, I replied that he is an idealogue - Gove is far more interested in pursuing an ideological agenda in regard to education to education than caring about 'young people'. If he did care about young people, you'd wonder as to why so many young people oppose his reforms?

As for advocating different solutions, I have no issues with those who advocate different solutions. I do have issues with ideologues, who care about pursuing a blind ideological agenda first and foremost - on the left and the right.

• Options

Yes, I replied that he is an idealogue - Gove is far more interested in pursuing an ideological agenda in regard to education to education than caring about 'young people'. If he did care about young people, you'd wonder as to why so many young people oppose his reforms?

LOL! The left's bizarre 'logic' (if that's not too strong a word) laid bare.
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548

As for advocating different solutions, I have no issues with those who advocate different solutions. I do have issues with ideologues, who care about pursuing a blind ideological agenda first and foremost - on the left and the right.

You seem to be implying that schoolchildren should be setting education policy.. :cuckoo:
  • Options

I wouldn't suggest that no-one on the right cares. Cameron and Osborne plainly don't

Oh, for God's sake, what an utterly idiotic statement.
  • Options

LOL! The left's bizarre 'logic' (if that's not too strong a word) laid bare.
    What it's true. The Conservatives claim to care about young people, those in poverty, etc yet these groups rarely ever vote Conservative. There's the option that all these groups are terribly misguided about what's best for them, but most groups do tend to vote in their own interest - and clearly these groups don't believe it's in their best interest to vote Conservative.
  • Options

You seem to be implying that schoolchildren should be setting education policy.. :cuckoo:
    No, just that if something was in their best interest, they would most likely be sympathetic to it.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

Well, the government for a start. But I'm glad that both you and @kle4 know of at least some Tories who do care about young people in this country.

You are being totally idiotic.

Do you actually know any Conservatives? Or, failing that, have you read, for example, any speech by Michael Gove on education? Are you really so ludicrously blinded by partisan prejudice that you can, with a straight face, claim that he doesn't care about young people?
    BIB: Yes.

Your evidence for that bold claim is opinion polls? The same ones which keep getting elections wrong? Not to mention that a policy's unpopularity is not proof of lack of caring about anything. I think your reference to Gove the ideologue is charmingly ironic.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,064

I wouldn't suggest that no-one on the right cares. Cameron and Osborne plainly don't

Why? I've seen no evidence from them that they are anything other than a pair of chancers who enjoy playing the political game. Even Osborne's friends would be hard pressed to declare him a man of principle. I've never seen a convincing explanation of what drove either of them into politics.
  • Options
    felix said:

Well, the government for a start. But I'm glad that both you and @kle4 know of at least some Tories who do care about young people in this country.

Do you actually know any Conservatives? Or, failing that, have you read, for example, any speech by Michael Gove on education? Are you really so ludicrously blinded by partisan prejudice that you can, with a straight face, claim that he doesn't care about young people?

Your evidence for that bold claim is opinion polls? The same ones which keep getting elections wrong? Not to mention that a policy's unpopularity is not proof of lack of caring about anything. I think your reference to Gove the ideologue is charmingly ironic.
    The same ones which Conservatives suddenly trust when it shows Jeremy Corbyn leading!

Disliking the Conservative party doesn't make you an idealogue, btw.
  • Options
    CornishBlueCornishBlue Posts: 840

I see no-one is thinking of the obvious. This Tory entryism into Labour to sabotage the election will surely see lots of Labour supporters return the favour when the Tory leadership election comes along. Although being a less democratic party there's only the choice of two candidates.

It's strange. I don't seem to remember in 2001 Labour people signing up to the Tories to get IDS elected leader. And yet it's the left that is accused of being juvenile and needing to grow up.

The eligibility rules for the Tory leadership electorate require full membership (ie a cost far greater than £3) and at least one year having been a member (correct me if I'm wrong).

That's quite different than what Labour have, which is basically "£3 and you get to vote straightaway".
  • Options
    edited July 2015

No, just that if something was in their best interest, they would most likely be sympathetic to it.
    And you're implying that their sympathy, or approval, is a necessary condition for any policy to pass the bar of your peculiar test. That means that they effectively set or at least veto policy, which is plainly bonkers.
  • Options
    TwistedFireStopperTwistedFireStopper Posts: 2,538
    edited July 2015
    What imbecile decided that this shambles was the ideal way to choose the Leader of the Opposition?
    Six more weeks of mind numbing, spadwonk babble and navel gazing, when what we really need is a competent opposition to to hold the government to account. Labour have let the country down badly.
    I genuinely hope they elect Corbyn, so that the resulting fracturing of the Labour party might evolve into something I can actually vote for.
  • Options
    edited July 2015

Why? I've seen no evidence from them that they are anything other than a pair of chancers who enjoy playing the political game. Even Osborne's friends would be hard pressed to declare him a man of principle. I've never seen a convincing explanation of what drove either of them into politics.

The same as drives virtually all politicians to enter politics: an interest in politics and an ambition to improve the country.

This really isn't hard to understand, and the left would do itself a lot of good if it stopped assuming that people who disagree with it are malevolent, unprincipled or 'chancers'. You do get a few chancers in politics, but mostly as hangers-on towards the fag-end of periods when one party or the other is dominant for a long time.
  • Options

And you're implying that their sympathy, or approval, is a necessary condition for any policy to pass the bar of your peculiar test. That means that they effectively set or at least veto policy, which is plainly bonkers.
    LOL, no. Children have no control over education policy so this discussion over setting/veto policies is rubbish.
    We talking about opinions.

But if something tends to be in your interest, yes usually you are sympathetic to it. Teenagers (the main people who will be politically aware of Gove's policies) aren't total idiots.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,086

I don't have a view on his reforms, but since when is if people agree with a reform the sole measure to judge it by?
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

I see no-one is thinking of the obvious. This Tory entryism into Labour to sabotage the election will surely see lots of Labour supporters return the favour when the Tory leadership election comes along. Although being a less democratic party there's only the choice of two candidates.

It's strange. I don't seem to remember in 2001 Labour people signing up to the Tories to get IDS elected leader. And yet it's the left that is accused of being juvenile and needing to grow up.

Tbh, I doubt they will bother. But it seems odd that parties don't have rules excluding membership of other parties. In any reasonably arranged world, there would be a catch 22: Party A would expel any members who joined Party B, and Party B would refuse the application from said member of Party A.

The Conservatives have just announced an open primary to select the Tory candidate for Mayor of London, so presumably CCHQ is unfazed by a handful of Greens or Scots Nats voting.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I don't have a view on his reforms, but since when is if people agree with a reform the sole measure to judge it by?
    It's just my own opinion, it's not an objective rule.
  • Options
    edited July 2015

But if something tends to be in your interest, yes usually you are sympathetic to it. Teenagers (the main people who will be politically aware of Gove's policies) aren't total idiots.

Maybe they are not idiots. Maybe they oppose his reforms (I'm not sure that is true, actually, but let's assume it). Maybe they correctly identify that his policies won't work, or will make things worse.

Even if we grant all that, what on earth has it got to do with the question of Gove's motives, or whether he cares about young people?
  • Options

felix said:

The same ones which Conservatives suddenly trust when it shows Jeremy Corbyn leading!

I think it's more of a case that htese are the polls which are frightening the s***e out of you. I never had much doubt about the GE result - I knew Labour would not win.

Indeed not - it just makes you irrational and an idiot. Rather like claiming no young people vote Tory.
  • Options

LOL, no. Children have no control over education policy so this discussion over setting/veto policies is rubbish.

You think teenagers are against Gove's reforms because they've used their intelligence to work out that it will affect their educational prospects?

Not because teachers say "it's Michael Gove's fault" every time they set extra homework?

Ok.. do you remember being a teenager?
  • Options
    felix said:

felix said:

I think it's more of a case that htese are the polls which are frightening the s***e out of you. I never had much doubt about the GE result - I knew Labour would not win.

Indeed not - it just makes you irrational and an idiot. Rather like claiming no young people vote Tory.
    LOL! So you can't quite explain your discrepancy between believing polls when it suits you and when it doesn't?

I never claimed NO young person voted Tory, just that these groups as whole don't, and that it's rare that they do.

No need for insults, btw. It's not necessary to adopt the kind of angry tone you have done.
  • Options
    Mr. Stopper, imbecile? Surely you're not referring to Ed Miliband?

I think Ms. Apocalypse makes a fair point that younger people tend to be more leftish and less conservative. That doesn't, of course, mean the Conservatives aren't interested in what's best for whippersnappers.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    edited July 2015

My med school union was pretty apolitical, but Fox jr is doing a social science degree and his union is fairly political. Mostly on green, internationalist, feminist and LBGT issues though rather than party political. He likes Corbyn.

I'm not surprised - I get the feeling that's where student politics is at. Very few are wedged to a political party these days, although Greens tend to be quite vocal. Some of that would describe my politics - I'm pretty big on feminist and LBGT issues.

Interesting to hear your son likes Corbyn. I think among young people he's quite popular. I was talking to a friend on Friday, she's much more left-wing than I am, and she loves Corbyn (and actually thinks he can win an election).
    I think Corbyn could get a lot more youngsters engaged in politics. He may recapture a lot of the Green vote and some of the CBAs.

Fox jr is more interested in the internationalist agenda. Form seeing Corbyn on Marr this morning I think Corbyn will be on the BOI side. He wants Europe to have more of a say in the social protection issues. Will not sit with the kippers. His young acolytes are pro EU too.

A friend of mine has just posted on Facebook that Corbyn is the only one who might make him vote Labour for the first time. He was a UKIP/Tory waverer in May....
    Well, I might stick with Labour if Corbyn wins. If any of the three muppets win, I may go back to the Tories.
    you are obviously one of the new classifications, a drowning voter or a lack of convictions voter
  • Options

You think teenagers are against Gove's reforms because they've used their intelligence to work out that it will affect their educational prospects?

Not because teachers say "it's Michael Gove's fault" every time they set extra homework?

I was a teenager only two years ago! Although I left school (finished my A-levels) in 2012.

Teenagers can use their intelligence to work whether something can improve their educational prospects or not. It's why teenagers do do homework, and many study and revise in the run-up to their exams, despite not not liking it, they know these things will help them in the long-run.

I was at school under the coalition from 2010-12, and in that time I never heard any teacher say setting extra homework was Gove's fault.
  • Options

My med school union was pretty apolitical, but Fox jr is doing a social science degree and his union is fairly political. Mostly on green, internationalist, feminist and LBGT issues though rather than party political. He likes Corbyn.

I'm not surprised - I get the feeling that's where student politics is at. Very few are wedged to a political party these days, although Greens tend to be quite vocal. Some of that would describe my politics - I'm pretty big on feminist and LBGT issues.

Interesting to hear your son likes Corbyn. I think among young people he's quite popular. I was talking to a friend on Friday, she's much more left-wing than I am, and she loves Corbyn (and actually thinks he can win an election).
    I think Corbyn could get a lot more youngsters engaged in politics. He may recapture a lot of the Green vote and some of the CBAs.

Fox jr is more interested in the internationalist agenda. Form seeing Corbyn on Marr this morning I think Corbyn will be on the BOI side. He wants Europe to have more of a say in the social protection issues. Will not sit with the kippers. His young acolytes are pro EU too.

A friend of mine has just posted on Facebook that Corbyn is the only one who might make him vote Labour for the first time. He was a UKIP/Tory waverer in May....
    Well, I might stick with Labour if Corbyn wins. If any of the three muppets win, I may go back to the Tories.
    you are obviously one of the new classification, a drowning voter?
    I've always got the impression that Sunil prefers to defy classification.
  • Options

Maybe they are not idiots. Maybe they oppose his reforms (I'm not sure that is true, actually, but let's assume it). Maybe they correctly identify that his policies won't work, or will make things worse.

Even if we grant all that, what on earth has it got to do with the question of Gove's motives, or whether he cares about young people?
    On his motives, I've said I think he's an idealogue - i.e. far more interested in pursuing an ideaological agenda on education than anything else.
  • Options
    @Morris_Dancer What is a whippersnapper? Sounds like a failed chocolate bar!
  • Options

felix said:

felix said:

LOL! So you can't quite explain your discrepancy between believing polls when it suits you and when it doesn't?

I never claimed NO young person voted Tory, just that these groups as whole don't, and that it's rare that they do.

No need for insults, btw. It's not necessary to adopt the kind of angry tone you have done.
    You're entirely incorrect. Vast numbers of young people always vote Tory in GEs. You need to get out more.
  • Options
    Ms. Apocalypse, a younger person (reminds me, I ought to work the word into a comedy at some point). Not pejorative, incidentally.
  • Options

I was a teenager only two years ago! Although I left school (finished my A-levels) in 2012.

Teenagers can use their intelligence to work whether something can improve their educational prospects or not. It's why teenagers do do homework, and many study and revise in the run-up to their exams, despite not not liking it, they know these things will help them in the long-run.

I was at school under the coalition from 2010-12, and in that time I never heard any teacher say setting extra homework was Gove's fault.
    Ahhhhh. It all becomes suddenly so clear. :)
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,051

I don't doubt what you say Richard. Right wing ideologues believe their own propaganda. But tell me this, why are right wing politics almost alway (and I mean always) aimed at making rich people richer at the expense of poor people?
  • Options
    tyson said:

I don't doubt what you say Richard. Right wing ideologues believe their own propaganda. But tell me this, why are right wing politics almost alway (and I mean always) aimed at making rich people richer at the expense of poor people?
    Evidence????
  • Options
    Mr. Felix, someone being (especially for the site) relatively younger doesn't make their opinion less valid.

Mr. Tyson, is increasing the personal allowance not helping the poor?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,208

HYUFD said:

RodCrosby said:

HYUFD said:

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

runnymede said:

Labour set to elect either a joke or a wingnut. The good news has just kept coming since May...

Whoever wins, they're between a rock and a hard place.

If they don't look like making 100 gains in 2020, the spectre of the SNP tail wagging the UK dog will do for them again, just like in 2015...
    I suppose this is an argument for Corbyn: There's no point annoying the base and losing the left to the Greens or whoever if the centrists aren't going to vote for you because they thing the SNP would make them do left-wing things anyway.
    Yes, the choice is between extreme wings.

Either Left enough to kill the SNP, or Right enough to sweep England without the need for Scotland.

While keeping the party together, whichever wins...
    To win it actually needs to do both ie win at least 80-85 seats from the Tories in England and Wales and at least 10 from the SNP in Scotland, if it does the former but not the latter it may have a chance of a deal with the LDs if Farron wins back some seats from the Tories too
    Trying to do both will probably result in failure of both...
    Not necessarily, although it should certainly focus on England and Wales and winning back Tories it is not impossible Labour could win back 10 seats from the SNP too (Labour do not need to win back even half the seats they lost to the SNP). Corbyn would be the only candidate who could really eat into the SNP total in the central belt, but he would likely turn off England and Wales
    Corbyn may well be audacious enough to have a formal electoral pact with the SNP. Devo max but strong representation at Westminster.
    If Labour elect Corbyn they will not be doing so to have pacts with the SNP but to kill the SNP in its former Scottish heartlands
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    It's getting very grumpy on here. May I recommend #PandasOnSlides?
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGF6bOi1NfA
  • Options
    felix said:

You're entirely incorrect. Vast numbers of young people always vote Tory in GEs. You need to get out more.

Not really. Only 43% of young people even turned out to vote - that means a vast majority of young people didn't even vote, let alone a vast amount of them voting Tory. Out of that 43%, as far as I recall 30% - 35% of voted Tory. So we aren't looking at vast numbers here, more a minority of young people.

• Options

I've tutored GCSE and A level students in the last five years who have passed on exactly that from their teachers so I guess there's a spectrum of experience for school kids.

In what way specifically do you think Gove affected your prospects during those two years?
  • Options
    New NBC polls have Walker up in Iowa and Trump in NH, Sanders with the highest net favourables of any candidate, Democrat or Republican

GOP Caucus
    Iowa
    Walker 19
    Trump 17
    Bush 12

GOP primary
    New Hampshire
    Trump 21
    Bush 14
    Walker 12

Net favourables

Iowa

Sanders +3 (30 percent/27 percent)

Rubio -1 (31 percent/32 percent)

Walker -1 (30 percent/31 percent)

Bush -12 (34 percent/46 percent)

Clinton -19 (37/56 percent)

Trump -28 (32 percent/60 percent)

New Hampshire:

Sanders +12 (41 percent/29 percent)

Bush -5 (40 percent/45 percent)

Walker -6 (28 percent/34 percent)

Rubio -6 (28 percent/34 percent)

Clinton -20 (37 percent/57 percent)

Trump -40 (27 percent/67 percent)
    http://www.nbcnews.com/meet-the-press/nbc-marist-polls-show-donald-trump-running-strong-iowa-nh-n398401
  • Options
    Miss Plato, or a free (very) short story:
    http://thaddeuswhite.weebly.com/writing-blog/unnecessarily-epic-thaddeus-and-the-demon

Only a few hundred words.
  • Options
    A minority of several millions - 30-35% is pretty vast. And since everyone eventually gets old we can see the pattern that political wisdom is acquired as they get older and then vote Tory in even vaster numbers :)
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,249

Pong said:

Pity Nicola Sturgeon didn't join labour all those years ago.

Corbyn is the only one who can provide a real Labour alternative to the Tory posh-boy Cameron!

Or probably more pertinently, Mhairi Black.

A slightly over-effusive profile on R4 this am.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06385hy

She is very smart, lucid and has far more confidence than I ever did at 20 years old.

However, she can sound overly earnest, and, at times, come across as hectoring. Her delivery is also flat, monotonous and full of glottal stops.

She also looks about 15 years older than she is. If I were close to her, I would worry about her long-term health and diet.
    I think criticising a 20 year old MP for sounding 'overly earnest' is a rather ridiculous complaint. If an MP can't be earnest at 20 what hope is there for the rest of the old lags?
    I don't trust anyone at any age with such fervent belief in their own opinions that it's devoid of any subtext, reflection or humour. In fact, I never trust anyone without a sense of humour.

Shami Chakrabarti is another one I feel the same way about, despite having strong sympathies most of the time with what she's saying.
    The woman's an idiot. She has a superficial understanding of liberalism but has not thought deeply (or at all, IMO) about the proper balance of security and liberty, particularly when the latter is threatened by some very intolerant forces using some of liberal's own tenets ("tolerance") to advance its own agenda. Her attachment to liberal principles is pretty skin deep e.g. over Geert Wilders being banned from this country when a democratically elected MP in Holland and her judgment over Libya and the LSE was appalling. At a time when we need an intelligent and thoughtful advocate for liberalism - in the truest and widest sense of the word - and what it means for ordinary people she has failed, contenting herself with uttering the same jejeune and superficial comments. She is at least an advocate of sorts for civil liberties but has not, intellectually, moved on from what she learnt at university. Liberty - both the organisation and the concept - deserve better.

• Options

Plato said:

Apart from a single PBer, who are these Tories?

I don't know any like that.

This person seems to be mistaking the cesspit for the high moral ground. A tendency rife amongst SNP supporters.
  • Options
    Miss Cyclefree, huzzah for those sentiments.
  • Options
    tyson said:

Right wing politics make everyone richer, and the rich relatively richer compared to the poor. Left wing politics make everyone poorer but at least it narrows the gap a bit.

Which side cares about the poor, the absolutists or the relativists?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,911
    Toby Perkins ‏@tobyperkinsmp 2h2 hours ago
    65 defeated Labour PPC's asked who they want as leader- choose @LizforLeader -clear she's Labour's best prospect.

Hmm Losers for Liz
  • Options
    @Morris_Dancer

"Mr. Felix, someone being (especially for the site) relatively younger doesn't make their opinion less valid."

Nor did anyone say so but thank you so much for the disinterested guidance.
  • Options

I've tutored GCSE and A level students in the last five years who have passed on exactly that from their teachers so I guess there's a spectrum of experience for school kids.

In what way specifically do you think Gove affected your prospects during those two years?
    I don't think Gove affected my prospects much either way. By the time the coalition came in, I was already going my GCSES, and his changes in regard to A-Levels (such as doing the exam which counts towards your overall A-Level grade in two years time as opposed to an exam each year) haven't kicked in yet.
  • Options
    DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106
    Plato said:

It's getting very grumpy on here. May I recommend #PandasOnSlides?
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGF6bOi1NfA

Yay! :smiley:
    Post of the day!
  • Options

65 defeated Labour PPC's asked who they want as leader- choose @LizforLeader -clear she's Labour's best prospect.

Hmm Losers for Liz

I guess it's too subtle for you. :)
  • Options
    Mr. Felix, it was clearly implied.
  • Options

Why? The most cynical part of Camborne politics is the courting of the elder vote at the expense of attacking younger people who do not vote. Do you really believe that Camborne are in this business to protect elder people's rights and entitlements virtually to the exclusion of everything else.

What about Camborne cynical exploitation of Europe. They have no intention of leaving Europe and have cynically created this referendum debate for political aims, not principle.

Cameron cringeworthingly exploited the death of his child for political ends. If he is capable of that he is capable of anything.

Brown acted often brazenly politically- but at least he had principles. What are the principles of Camborne? They are a pair of cynical delinquents, public school oafs, yobs and louts, people without principle or character who make my skin crawl.

Gove is different. He is an ideologue and wants to try out new ideas. I like him for that.
  • Options
    That's very funny
    RodCrosby said:

I love the quote in the Sunday Times leader, regarding the torrent of new sign-ups for the Labour election:-

"the hard-left, apparently as extinct for its influence on British politics as the dinosaurs, senses its Jurassic Park moment..."

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Tonight is Edward Heath night on BBC Parliament from 7pm to commemorate 50 years since he won the Tory leadership
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcparliament/programmes/schedules
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

Hmm Losers for Liz

LOL. And in any case, 65 out of the 400-odd defeated Labour candidates is hardly that impressive a tally.

I actually quite admire Liz's team's chutzpah at still claiming she is the candidate who the public would like best, when that IPSOS-MORI public poll the other day placed her last (behind even Corbyn).
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352
    Ms Apocalypse,

Whippersnapper is a general word for youngster, a bit like flibbertigibbet - but that is insulting.
  • Options

Bless
  • Options
    Just for anecdata only - Times readers think she's the only candidate worth a candle as she's got a bit of spunk for not falling over to the Left and saying electable things.

Burham and Cooper don't even register, Corbyn is a source of great amusement/horror.

If Labour are going to reclaim the centre ground - Liz or someone like her is required - unless of course the UK turns into Venezuela before 2020.
    Danny565 said:

Hmm Losers for Liz

LOL. And in any case, 65 out of the 400-odd defeated Labour candidates is hardly that impressive a tally.

I actually quite admire Liz's team's chutzpah at still claiming she is the candidate who the public would like best, when that IPSOS-MORI public poll the other day placed her last (behind even Corbyn).
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    I've never thought of flibbertigibbet as a young thing - more feckless, unreliable and a bit of a manipulator. Usually female. But I can see how the traits tend to associate with 20-somethings.
    CD13 said:

Ms Apocalypse,

Whippersnapper is a general word for youngster, a bit like flibbertigibbet - but that is insulting.

• Options

You obviously didn't do English at school, nor do you own a dictionary - http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/whippersnapper
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    The Staggers: Which CLPs are nominating whom?

Corbyn (107)
    Burnham (101)
    Cooper (88)
    Kendall (14)

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2015/07/which-clps-are-nominating-who-labour-leadership-contest

A question: when CLP tallies are reported they are often less than 50-60 votes all told. Are the number of CLP members rearly that small, or do very few bother taking part? TIA.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Plato said:

Just for anecdata only - Times readers think she's the only candidate worth a candle as she's got a bit of spunk for not falling over to the Left and saying electable things.

Burham and Cooper don't even register, Corbyn is a source of great amusement/horror.

If Labour are going to reclaim the centre ground - Liz or someone like her is required - unless of course the UK turns into Venezuela before 2020.

Danny565 said:

Hmm Losers for Liz

Excuse me? Today's ST yougov has Kendall with a net favourability of -3%, better than Cooper on -6%, but behind Burnham and Corbyn on -2%. David Miliband does best admittedly on +6%
    http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2015/07/26/just-when-you-thought-the-lab-leadership-contest-couldnt-get-any-more-exciting/
  • Options
    felix said:

tyson said:

Evidence????
    Are you taking the piss Felix?

Every piece of progressive legislation has to be enacted by the left by spilling blood sweat and tears, and then, and only then gets reluctantly picked up by the right for political ends because they have to. From the health service, to the welfare state, minimum wage, climate change, free museums, equalities, disabilities, tax credits, housing, environment legislation, animal welfare and on and on and ariston.

I really can't think of one single thing post second world war the right has done on their own initiative to exclusively help the poor, the environment, or any other marginal group. They have done everything with their arm twisted around their backs.
  • Options
    I'm obviously referring to their posters, not independent pollsters they employ!
    HYUFD said:

Plato said:

Danny565 said:

Hmm Losers for Liz

Excuse me? Today's ST yougov has Kendall with a net favourability of -3%, better than Cooper on -6%, but behind Burnham and Cooper on -2%. David Miliband does best admittedly on +6%
    http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2015/07/26/just-when-you-thought-the-lab-leadership-contest-couldnt-get-any-more-exciting/
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    HYUFD said:

Tonight is Edward Heath night on BBC Parliament from 7pm to commemorate 50 years since he won the Tory leadership

Ooh! 2100 1972 interview on joining the EU looks good! Though does clash with Lumleys trip across Russia. Tricky choice to know which to record!
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    felix said:

A minority of several millions - 30-35% is pretty vast. And since everyone eventually gets old we can see the pattern that political wisdom is acquired as they get older and then vote Tory in even vaster numbers :)

Millions! - According to British Future, 3.3m young people were eligible to vote. On a 43% turnout that's less than half of that figure. That means that the amount of young people voting Tory certainly isn't in the several millions.

As for older voters, well I guess you could say people become more fearful of change, and that's partly a reason for conservative attitudes among those 60+.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Hmm Losers for Liz

Less than 5% of CLP nominations 14 of 310 and yet still she is " best chance" #LosersforLiz
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    tyson said:

I really can't think of one single thing post second world war the right has done on their own initiative to exclusively help the poor

They rescued the economy. Again and again.
  • Options
    IIRC it's mentioned in the STimes today as a quote from an unnamed Labour MP that CLP memberships have doubled to 75ish and half are new faces/known Other Party lefties.

The Staggers: Which CLPs are nominating whom?

Corbyn (107)
    Burnham (101)
    Cooper (88)
    Kendall (14)

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2015/07/which-clps-are-nominating-who-labour-leadership-contest

A question: when CLP tallies are reported they are often less than 50-60 votes all told. Are the number of CLP members rearly that small, or do very few bother taking part? TIA.

• Options

You obviously didn't do English at school, nor do you own a dictionary - http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/whippersnapper
    I did do English at school (I even did at A-level!) - it was never a term that came up, ever. If you ask most young people I guarantee you they wouldn't have heard of the term.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Hmm Losers for Liz

Did you get my PM
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,023
    It's quite simple to work out why for instance student fees were chosen to get hiked over say ending the triple lock, old people get out and vote !
  • Options

Mr. Felix, it was clearly implied.

Maybe in your mind. I wouldn't be so rude as to make the assumption.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    tyson said:

felix said:

tyson said:

Evidence????
    Are you taking the piss Felix?

Every piece of progressive legislation has to be enacted by the left by spilling blood sweat and tears, and then, and only then gets reluctantly picked up by the right for political ends because they have to. From the health service, to the welfare state, minimum wage, climate change, free museums, equalities, disabilities, tax credits, housing, environment legislation, animal welfare and on and on and ariston.

I really can't think of one single thing post second world war the right has done on their own initiative to exclusively help the poor, the environment, or any other marginal group. They have done everything with their arm twisted around their backs.
    Gay marriage? Joining the EU? Providing refuge to the Ugandan Asians?

After all, what have the Tories ever done for us?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,177

On his motives, I've said I think he's an idealogue - i.e. far more interested in pursuing an ideaological agenda on education than anything else.
    You are upsetting the old farts, they think they are very clever so you will now be attacked for being young and stupid
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

felix said:

Millions! - According to British Future, 3.3m young people were eligible to vote. On a 43% turnout that's less than half of that figure. That means that the amount of young people voting Tory certainly isn't in the several millions.

As for older voters, well I guess you could say people become more fearful of change, and that's partly a reason for conservative attitudes among those 60+.

Older people vote Tory, because with age comes wisdom.

• Options

Plato said:

This person seems to be mistaking the cesspit for the high moral ground. A tendency rife amongst SNP supporters.
    The cesspit? What?

• Options
    Plato said:

I'm obviously referring to their posters, not independent pollsters they employ!

HYUFD said:

Plato said:

Danny565 said:

Hmm Losers for Liz

Excuse me? Today's ST yougov has Kendall with a net favourability of -3%, better than Cooper on -6%, but behind Burnham and Cooper on -2%. David Miliband does best admittedly on +6%
    Indeed, but I prefer the public's view
  • Options

Luckily brain of Britain is here to help................ Fa***y alert
  • Options
    If your experience is representative of a well educated 20-something, it's interesting how languages develop and what were commonly known words for people in their 40s+ are no longer on the radar.

Are your parents quite young? I can imagine that being a factor as well.

I did do English at school (I even did at A-level!) - it was never a term that came up, ever. If you ask most young people I guarantee you they wouldn't have heard of the term.
  • Options
    Mr. Pulpstar, indeed.

Ms. Apocalypse, it's not an especially common term (akin to rapscallions, scallywags, ragamuffins and tatterdemalions).
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Ooh! 2100 1972 interview on joining the EU looks good! Though does clash with Lumleys trip across Russia. Tricky choice to know which to record!
    Indeed, decisions decisions for a political junkie!
  • Options
    @foxinsoxuk Civil Partnerships were implemented under Labour, the precursor to Gay Marriage. Plus, the Left has traditionally campaigned for Gay Rights.

felix said:

Having talked to some older people that's not quite true. Some are wise...others....hmm, not really.
  • Options

felix said:

I thought you were talking of all elections when you said they hardly ever vote Tory. Over all elections many millions of young Tory voters. Always have been and no doubt always will be. As for non-voters - why assume they're hostile - probably they're just very content. :) Just my opinion :)

You might say fear of change among older voters motivates them indeed. Of course you'd be wrong in my opinion.
  • Options

felix said:

Older people vote Tory, because with age comes benefits much more generous than we can afford but who cares only a few years to live!!
  • Options
    Plato said:

If your experience is representative of a well educated 20-something, it's interesting how languages develop and what were commonly known words for people in their 40s+ are no longer on the radar.

Are your parents quite young? I can imagine that being a factor as well.

My parents are in their early 50s! So they are pretty old.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

It's quite simple to work out why for instance student fees were chosen to get hiked over say ending the triple lock, old people get out and vote !

As I said below Pulps, cynical politics. Like the proposed Euro referendum. Or trying to get hunting reintroduced on the backend of an hours vote. Or trying to get the speaker kicked out on some bully boy, public school plot hatched up at the end of term.

But what do you expect from some Bullingdon lowlife yob who exploited the death of his child during a TV debate?
  • Options

@foxinsoxuk Civil Partnerships were implemented under Labour, the precursor to Gay Marriage. Plus, the Left has traditionally campaigned for Gay Rights.

felix said:

Having talked to some older people that's not quite true. Some are wise...others....hmm, not really.
    Of course you must be talking to the older Lab/LD/SNP voters. Yeah I get you now.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

felix said:

Perhaps I should have said: with age comes experience of Labour governments.

• Options
    I like slatterns and guttersnipes. I haven't heard either of these in ages and then both popped up on Jeremy Kyle over the last couple of weeks.

Needless to say - they were insults flung between guests!

Mr. Pulpstar, indeed.

Ms. Apocalypse, it's not an especially common term (akin to rapscallions, scallywags, ragamuffins and tatterdemalions).

• Options

Plato said:

The cesspit? What?

Old pesticide is barking, another brain cell and he would be dangerous
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Mr. Tyson, I think that's unfair on Cameron (regarding his son).

Edited extra bit: Miss Plato, those are rather good. Harlots and hussies are also enjoyable.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

You are upsetting the old farts, they think they are very clever so you will now be attacked for being young and stupid
    Yeah Malc G what's your excuse?
  • Options

Mr. Pulpstar, indeed.

MD are you 150 years old , next you will be saying she is a bounder and a cad
  • Options
    tyson said:

Pulpstar said:

As I said below Pulps, cynical politics. Like the proposed Euro referendum. Or trying to get hunting reintroduced on the backend of an hours vote. Or trying to get the speaker kicked out on some bully boy, public school plot hatched up at the end of term.

But what do you expect from some Bullingdon lowlife yob who exploited the death of his child during a TV debate?
    I see the GE result is still quite an open wound - best not to put so much vinegar on it old chap. :)
  • Options
    felix said:

Hmm Losers for Liz

I guess it's too subtle for you. :)
    Guess so.

I wasn't very subtle when I spoke to my MP about his campaign organiser role for Kendall either TBF.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,216

Perhaps I should have said: with age comes experience of Labour governments.

I had many conflicting thoughts on what was going to happen at the election, but I did wonder if it was going to be a case of "every (other?) generation needs to learn why we don't let the Left run the country".