Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New study suggests that UKIP’s “2020 strategy” is going to

SystemSystem Posts: 11,687
edited July 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New study suggests that UKIP’s “2020 strategy” is going to be challenging

In the aftermath of May 7th UKIP was taking some comfort from the 120 second places it had chalked up suggesting that this provided a good platform for next time. Maybe.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897
    edited July 2015
    Ultimately it will depend a lot on how well The Institutions handle the current euro crisis (and the risk of contagion), the Welsh Assembly penetration and most importantly the EU referendum itself.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013
    On topic, yes of course there is potential, but it's probably best not to assume that the remaining Labour and Lib Dem voters, or the 2015 Cameron switchers, will be particularly Ukip-inclined. Don't forget that the last time a third force did very well, in 1983 with the SDP-Liberal Alliance, the strong second-place record just led to a diminished second-place record next election. And they did much better than Ukip each time.

FPT Anecdotes work both ways, and it is not just the bottom five or ten per cent or just benefits recipients who feel like they lose out, though it may seem that way from certain communities, which are favourable to the Conservatives.

They won thirty seven per cent support and a ten-seat majority even when the threat of a Scottish say in government was agreed retrospectively by all to be an incredibly powerful force in England. Admittedly, many of the sixty-three per cent are irrelevant to this particular question of public support because they vote for Ukip in Labour safe seats. Still, even they didn't see fit to endow Cameron and chose in many ways a much more pro-traditional economics alternative to either Conservatives or Labour, i.e. protect benefits and the NHS - as long as you're English - what the Europeans call "welfare chauvinism" when the Front National does it.

The UK could be one election away from a Labour minority with the support of every other HoC party, and all the reversal of direction of the centre ground so embodied. Really voters move the centre ground by choosing governments. They go right and they go left and democratic governments tend towards their own reversals as the embodied contradictions build up.

Expectations matter too. There is no doubt that the ten-seat majority gives a much more powerful mandate than it would seem to historically merit, because it was so unexpected and because it succeeded a coalition. So that has its own impact on momentum which the Conservatives ought to use as much as they can in the early years of this government (pre-Europe).
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Not at all, Mr. Smithson. They'll do what they did last time, and the six times before that: campaign far too wide, without any real focus, win few if any seats with wide but shallow support, then bitch about the system being unfair.
  • Options
    FlightpathlFlightpathl Posts: 1,243
    UKIP + 'Strategy' = Joke
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    FPT
    EPG said:

The UK could be one election away from a Labour minority with the support of every other HoC party

Certainly it feels significant that the Tories, in any sort of hung parliament situation even if they are largest party, will really struggle to find allies. 2020 at least will be one they have to win outright again I suspect, to have any chance. Relying on the NI unionists is not, well, reliable, should it come down to that.

Mr. kle4, always baffled me why that hasn't been the case for ages.

Should have been done when equal prize money was awarded - no excuse for not harmonising the number of sets at that time.
  • Options
    Speaking at the Durham Miners’ Gala today, Unite general secretary Len McCluskey said that more than 50,000 have registered for a ballot, with the figure constantly rising.

http://labourlist.org/2015/07/unite-sign-up-over-50000-members-to-vote-in-labour-leadership-contest/
  • Options
    It remains hard for UKIP, certainly, and they are currently a little rudderless, but 2 years ago I thought they would win no MPs this time and that they would have to work damn hard to build on that and might break through in 2020, so they are slightly ahead of my expectations in that they still face an uphill battle to win more seats, but have something to work with at least.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,325
    edited July 2015
    Serena Williams beats Garbine Muguruza 6-4, 6-4 to win Wimbledon Ladies' championship! She wins four Grand Slams on the trot, US, Aussie, French, and now Wimbledon
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Speaking at the Durham Miners’ Gala today, Unite general secretary Len McCluskey said that more than 50,000 have registered for a ballot, with the figure constantly rising.

http://labourlist.org/2015/07/unite-sign-up-over-50000-members-to-vote-in-labour-leadership-contest/

Go Cornyn :)
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079
    edited July 2015
    AndyJS said:
    Inverdale is dreadful. How can he be a sports commentator when he acts as if he wouldn't even be watching if he wasn't being paid to endure it?
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    For any vintage tennis fans - there's an Arthur Ashe docu on BBC4 http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b060c7kc/arthur-ashe-more-than-a-champion
  • Options

AndyJS said:
    Inverdale is dreadful. How can he be a sports commentator when he acts as if he wouldn't even be watching if he wasn't being paid to endure it?
    He's OK as a presenter, his highlights programme last year was better than Clare Balding's "Wimbledon2day"!
  • Options
    Plato said:

For any vintage tennis fans - there's an Arthur Ashe docu on BBC4 http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b060c7kc/arthur-ashe-more-than-a-champion

They showed that a couple of weeks back - interesting viewing, especially his politics.
  • Options
    UKIP got 120 second places...

...The Blue team got 330 first places!
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Wasn't watching the tennis. What's Inverdale been saying?
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited July 2015
    kle4 said:

It remains hard for UKIP, certainly, and they are currently a little rudderless, but 2 years ago I thought they would win no MPs this time and that they would have to work damn hard to build on that and might break through in 2020, so they are slightly ahead of my expectations in that they still face an uphill battle to win more seats, but have something to work with at least.

Before the election UKIP's barrier in winning seats was 16% of the vote, now it's 15%.
    It's still a high barrier, much higher than the LD's 3% and the Greens 2%.

The problem is the usual one, the LD still have some legacy support from the time they were a political party, the Greens concentrate all their campaign and messaging in university seats.
    UKIP haven't concentrated at any particular segment of society, their support is equally broad among almost all demographics.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Why has Frank Field nominated Jeremy Corbyn? They surely come from very different wings of the party.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    justin124 said:

Why has Frank Field nominated Jeremy Corbyn? They surely come from very different wings of the party.

People assume he's right-wing just because he's Eurosceptic and mildly more critical of welfare than many in Labour are.

He voted for Ed Miliband last time.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

justin124 said:

People assume he's right-wing just because he's Eurosceptic and mildly more critical of welfare than many in Labour are.

..and then won a few quid betting against him in May :)
  • Options
    felix said:

Danny565 said:

justin124 said:

..and then won a few quid betting against him in May :)
    He might not be right-wing, but that doesn't mean he's delusional :p
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,259

AndyJS said:
    He's OK as a presenter, his highlights programme last year was better than Clare Balding's "Wimbledon2day"!
    Don't start me on Wimbledon2day.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Danny565 said:

justin124 said:

I think he was also one of the group who felt it was important that the left had a chance to be represented in the contest
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,931
    Plato said:

Watched that last night and must say its v moving, I shed a few tears
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    Tremendous from England. Brilliant stuff from an exciting team. I don't think I've seen such promise for a long, long time. Not the final deal yet and they'll lose a few games a long the way, but this is a young, fearless side, and it's just great to see.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,733
    Danny565 said:

justin124 said:

Anyone know who Kate Hoey is supporting?
  • Options
    Last week we were told that white winters would become rare.....

But,
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/11733369/Earth-heading-for-mini-ice-age-within-15-years.html
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    Lennon said:

Danny565 said:

justin124 said:

Anyone know who Kate Hoey is supporting?
    Andy Burnham, I believe.
  • Options

Tremendous from England. Brilliant stuff from an exciting team. I don't think I've seen such promise for a long, long time. Not the final deal yet and they'll lose a few games a long the way, but this is a young, fearless side, and it's just great to see.

With the cherry on the top of no Pietersen involvement
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    edited July 2015

Great effort from England following on from the promising warmup series against the Kiwis. As you say not 100% the finished article yet, but that was a great Ashes Test to watch as an England supporter. On to Lord's next.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Danny565 said:

justin124 said:

I think he was also one of the group who felt it was important that the left had a chance to be represented in the contest
    Those that wanted him in for that reason are now finding the whole campaign dominated by him, with nominations from unions and the other three contenders all a little bit samey by comparison. Could the election changes made by Miliband after the Falkirk debacle yet come back to haunt the party?
  • Options
    Notable England scored at more than 4 an over in both innings. Though that is not unheard of in modern Test Cricket, it has not been common for England.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    justin124 said:

Frank definitely does not belong to a wing - he's Frank. For instance, he is strongly against means-testing benefits, which in a way makes him pro-Universal Credit like IDS, but also makes him critical of welfare cuts in general. As I understand it, he'd favour UC for everyone, with a significantly higher tax level, so that there was no poverty trap (since you wouldn't lose benefit with a rising income) and no jealousy (since everyone would get the benefit). But the tax required would be a huge political challenge, as the Greens have found with their in some ways similar ideas.

The reason he didn't flourish as a Minister is said to be that he wasn't up for the haggling and compromise stuff - he'd lock himself away for a day at a time, and come out with The Solution, accepting no variation. Hague's joke that Blair had told Field to think the unthinkable and then said "That's unthinkable!" when he saw the result had a lot of truth in it. But his strength is the converse of the weakness - you get an absolutely unvarnished, intellectually coherent opinion from him.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Tim posts a comment on Twitter I'm sure we can all agree with:

https://twitter.com/GOsborneGenius/status/618461469798191104
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited July 2015
    AndyJS said:

Tim posts a comment on Twitter I'm sure we can all agree with:

Was Tim on holiday for 4 weeks straight after the GE?
    Innocent face.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013
    Sandpit said:

Charles said:

Danny565 said:

justin124 said:

Those that wanted him in for that reason are now finding the whole campaign dominated by him, with nominations from unions and the other three contenders all a little bit samey by comparison. Could the election changes made by Miliband after the Falkirk debacle yet come back to haunt the party?
    AV mitigates against it.

If he wins, he at least represents most of the party.

If not, they see what proportion of the party wants that stuff, because let's face it his is the opposite of a personality-based campaign.

FWIW, my instinct is that he will now come third. Kendall has shown the vulnerability of a campaign relying on media who like it when Labour people kick their own side. Forgetting perhaps that all the voters were ordinary party members.
  • Options
    I actually feel a bit sorry for Kendall. Even if she didn't think she could actually win, if she put in a really good showing that would do good things for her career and future chances perhaps, but if she occupies the last slot behind Corbyn, it looks like a gamble that really did not pay off.

On a similar note, in the US with the more than a dozen declared Republican candidates, most of whom have to know they have no chance, and not even a chance to get much publicity either particularly if they don't get through to the debates (though I'm unclear how they are narrowed down), so what are they actually hoping to achieve personally?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    edited July 2015

justin124 said:

Frank definitely does not belong to a wing - he's Frank. For instance, he is strongly against means-testing benefits, which in a way makes him pro-Universal Credit like IDS, but also makes him critical of welfare cuts in general. As I understand it, he'd favour UC for everyone, with a significantly higher tax level, so that there was no poverty trap (since you wouldn't lose benefit with a rising income) and no jealousy (since everyone would get the benefit). But the tax required would be a huge political challenge, as the Greens have found with their in some ways similar ideas.

The reason he didn't flourish as a Minister is said to be that he wasn't up for the haggling and compromise stuff - he'd lock himself away for a day at a time, and come out with The Solution, accepting no variation. Hague's joke that Blair had told Field to think the unthinkable and then said "That's unthinkable!" when he saw the result had a lot of truth in it. But his strength is the converse of the weakness - you get an absolutely unvarnished, intellectually coherent opinion from him.
    Frank Field arguably is partly responsible for John Major becoming PM, 2 days before she was ousted he told Thatcher in No 10 she was doomed and she asked him what she could do. Frank told her that she needed to find an alternative to Heseltine and that alternative was Major. He also tried to replace both Brown and Ed Miliband with Alan Johnson. He is probably the sharpest backbencher on either side of the Commons!
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8248795.stm
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited July 2015
    justin124 said:

Field answered this question with a very simple answer, he wanted all wings of the party to represented and wants a wide debate on the future direction. He concern was all the candidates were too ideologically close, and although he doesn't really agree with a lot of Corbyn views, he thought it would be a terrible thing for the Labour Party if people of his outlook wasn't represented in the leadership contest.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited July 2015
    Plato said:

There was a very moving hour special about him on R5 the other night, which (with some relief IMO) managed to get well past the simplistic black man wins Wimbledon angle. As he said himeslf...

"I don't want to be remembered for my tennis accomplishments. That's no contribution to society. That [tennis] was purely selfish; that was for me."
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

Frank Field arguably is partly responsible for John Major becoming PM, 2 days before she was ousted he told Thatcher in No 10 she was doomed and she asked him what she could do. Frank told her that she needed to find an alternative to Heseltine and that alternative was Major. He also tried to replace both Brown and Ed Miliband with Alan Johnson. He is probably the sharpest backbencher on either side of the Commons!
    Field is a big Enoch fan of course, so obv someone who puts the truth before the spin
  • Options
    isam said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

Field is a big Enoch fan of course, so obv someone who puts the truth before the spin
    Indeed, though Powell was quite capable of using the media to his own advantage when he wanted to
  • Options
    kle4 said:

On a similar note, in the US with the more than a dozen declared Republican candidates, most of whom have to know they have no chance, and not even a chance to get much publicity either particularly if they don't get through to the debates (though I'm unclear how they are narrowed down), so what are they actually hoping to achieve personally?

The first two GOP debates will invite the top 10 in the poll average.
    Source http://www.wsj.com/articles/republican-presidential-debates-set-a-high-bar-1432586670

So far there are 19 candidates declared for Presidential nomination - 14 Republicans and 5 Democrats, with potentially a couple more on each side still to declare!
    Source: http://www.uspresidentialelectionnews.com/whos-running-for-president-in-2016/
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    This is truly heartbreaking:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3151387/Raped-playground-11-abused-seven-men-night-aged-12-Victim-Rotherham-Asian-sex-gang-scandal-tells-truly-horrifying-story.html

It should remind us all that 'broken Britain' isn't just a slogan, but something that really destroyed people's lives.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    kle4 said:

I actually feel a bit sorry for Kendall. Even if she didn't think she could actually win, if she put in a really good showing that would do good things for her career and future chances perhaps, but if she occupies the last slot behind Corbyn, it looks like a gamble that really did not pay off.

In retrospect Kendall may have been better running for Deputy rather than coming last in the race for Leader, but she should still get a middle ranking Shadow Cabinet role.

In the US 2016 will be the first race for 8 years without an incumbent president and the last for at least another 8 years so many Republicans think they have an outside shot even if they are given very long odds to win. None of the GOP top tier has established a big lead either and anything could happen. For such candidates, Santorum, Huckabee, Perry, Christie, Fiorina, Carson etc their age means this is probably their last chance to run for the big one!
  • Options
    JEO said:

This is truly heartbreaking:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3151387/Raped-playground-11-abused-seven-men-night-aged-12-Victim-Rotherham-Asian-sex-gang-scandal-tells-truly-horrifying-story.html

It should remind us all that 'broken Britain' isn't just a slogan, but something that really destroyed people's lives.

Truly shocking. How someone can come out of the other side of that ordeal I can't imagine.
    However long they put these people away, it's not long enough - and that has to include those in authority who deliberately ignored the problem, if we are ever to trust these authorities again.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

In retrospect Kendall may have been better running for Deputy rather than coming last in the race for Leader, but she should still get a middle ranking Shadow Cabinet role.

In the US 2016 will be the first race for 8 years without an incumbent president and the last for at least another 8 years so many Republicans think they have an outside shot even if they are given very long odds to win. None of the GOP top tier has established a big lead either and anything could happen. For such candidates, Santorum, Huckabee, Perry, Christie etc their age means this is probably their last chance to run for the big one!
    On Kendall: a couple of points. Even if she loses badly, if the party then goes onto another flattening in 2020, her stock will rise again as the one candidate who warned that effectively 'one more heave' is not enough. Chukka will probably be in the running by then, but who knows. Secondly, I wouldn't presume in her particular case, but it seems pretty clear that in general leading politicians have a self-belief than some of the rest of us lack (putting it politely!).

As to how US primary candidates are narrowed down - most pull out when it is clear they can no longer raise the funds necessary to continue (and don't want to spend the rest of their life in debt).
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

Source http://www.wsj.com/articles/republican-presidential-debates-set-a-high-bar-1432586670

So far there are 19 candidates declared for Presidential nomination - 14 Republicans and 5 Democrats, with potentially a couple more on each side still to declare!
    Source: http://www.uspresidentialelectionnews.com/whos-running-for-president-in-2016/
    This will be the most crowded field since 1968 I believe when there were 9 Democratic candidates who contested the nomination and 12 contested the Republican nomination
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Tejay Van Garderen is a 22 on Betfair for the TdF. He's currently in 3rd place & tomorrow could be in yellow because it's the team time trial and his BMC team are reckoned to be the strongest.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Kendall is giving labour an opportunity. To take that opportunity she does not need to win, but come second. If she is clearly rejected then its Labour you should feel sorry for. For her, if she believes in a direction for Labour she needs to put down a calling card
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

This will be the most crowded field since 1968 I believe when there were 9 Democratic candidates who contested the nomination and 12 contested the Republican nomination
    The runners so far:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/us/elections/2016-presidential-candidates.html?ref=politics&_r=0
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

kle4 said:

Kendall is giving labour an opportunity. To take that opportunity she does not need to win, but come second. If she is clearly rejected then its Labour you should feel sorry for. For her, if she believes in a direction for Labour she needs to put down a calling card
    Kendall is the only one of the four capable of being leader on May 9th 2020 two days after the next election. Burnham is like EdM but with a Liverpool accent and without the intellect.

• Options
    edited July 2015

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

The runners so far:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/us/elections/2016-presidential-candidates.html?ref=politics&_r=0
    There have been rumours Biden could yet run in the Democratic race, Walker and Kasich will join the GOP race so there are still a few more to come. Just imagine if 16 MPs stood for the Tory or Labour leaderships to see the chaos which could ensure on the GOP side next year
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,632

kle4 said:

Kendall is the only one of the four capable of being leader on May 9th 2020 two days after the next election. Burnham is like EdM but with a Liverpool accent and without the intellect.

I have not seen enough charisma from Liz to convince me to give her my support. I'll see her in the flesh tomorrow, so to speak, and as I've said previously this is her last chance to impress.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Hmm. Not convinced, although I win if she does. Cooper would be decent opposition leader and UK might be ready for change anyway after 5 years of Osbornomics (the ticking electoral timebomb that is cutting tax credits will explode at some point).

Agree about Burnham, although it could be argued that Lab have had quite enough of the intellect bit for a while.
  • Options

kle4 said:

The same was said for Portillo who in 2001 came third or Clarke who lost in 1997 and 2001 too and came last in 2005. To make a change you need to win, did Clarke make any difference to Hague and IDS' chances when he was runner-up behind them?
  • Options
    Andy Murray's brother Jamie runner-up in Men's Doubles.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Much as the mention of the word Thurrock still wounds me, isn't it true that the closest ukip came to a second win in terms of margin between the winner and themselves was the aforementioned seat?

My point being they came 3rd not 2nd
  • Options
    edited July 2015

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

In the US 2016 will be the first race for 8 years without an incumbent president and the last for at least another 8 years so many Republicans think they have an outside shot even if they are given very long odds to win. None of the GOP top tier has established a big lead either and anything could happen. For such candidates, Santorum, Huckabee, Perry, Christie etc their age means this is probably their last chance to run for the big one!
    On Kendall: a couple of points. Even if she loses badly, if the party then goes onto another flattening in 2020, her stock will rise again as the one candidate who warned that effectively 'one more heave' is not enough. Chukka will probably be in the running by then, but who knows. Secondly, I wouldn't presume in her particular case, but it seems pretty clear that in general leading politicians have a self-belief than some of the rest of us lack (putting it politely!).

As to how US primary candidates are narrowed down - most pull out when it is clear they can no longer raise the funds necessary to continue (and don't want to spend the rest of their life in debt).
    Kendall would still have a shot were Burnham or Cooper or dare I say Corbyn to lose in 2020 true. Certainly self-belief does help, agreed. Chukka has probably lost his chance now, I originally thought he would be the best choice this time, if his private life prevented him running this time why would it be different in 5 years time?

In the US, once Iowa and NH are over certainly at least half the contendors will have fallen by the wayside

• Options
    kle4 said:

To be fair to yourself you were right. UKIP do not have any MPs unless you count 'that Tory' Carswell. When people voted for Carswell they were not voting for a UKIP candidate they were voting for an Independent.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

The same was said for Portillo who in 2001 came third or Clarke who lost in 1997 and 2001 too and came last in 2005. To make a change you need to win, did Clarke make any difference to Hague and IDS' chances when he was runner-up behind them?
    Portillo should lead the out campaign in the EU referendum

A former political big beast that is probably better known by most people for his media work, and probably even then not for the political stuff
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,465
    We will live in a different world in 2020. Who knows what the challenges then will be?
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    The good thing about how this contest is shaking out is, maybe the Corbynistas have reminded the Blairites what the hard left REALLY looks like: demands to abolish capitalism completely, nationalise everything, declare "solidarity" with every tinpot dictator under the sun.

Maybe as a result, this time they'll be more tolerant of the mainstream soft left who only want some kind of opposition to austerity and a somewhat critical attitude to the super-rich and big businesses.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    CUWNBLOTLP
    CUWNBPM
  • Options

kle4 said:

No, Burnham actually leads in leadership polls amongst the public and in net favourability, where he does even better than Kendall. Ed trailed David in 2010 leadership polls
  • Options
    isam said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

A former political big beast that is probably better known by most people for his media work, and probably even then not for the political stuff
    Maybe, though Boris may be better at the populism Out will need
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Danny565 said:

The good thing about how this contest is shaking out is, maybe the Corbynistas have reminded the Blairites what the hard left REALLY looks like: demands to abolish capitalism completely, nationalise everything, declare "solidarity" with every tinpot dictator under the sun.

Maybe as a result, this time they'll be more tolerant of the mainstream soft left who only want some kind of opposition to austerity and a somewhat critical attitude to the super-rich and big businesses.

Indeed, the traditional left seems to be enjoying something of a revival on both sides of the Atlantic at the moment. Look at the rise of Syriza in Greece or Podemos in Spain and the way Bernie Sanders' campaign for the Democratic nomination is beginning to take off in the US, it is not just Corbyn. Even Hollande in France won his election on a much more leftwing platform than has been the case in most western democracies since the fall of the Berlin Wall and in Canada the soft left NDP now leads the polls and the SNP represents a similar trend
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited July 2015

kle4 said:

To be fair to yourself you were right. UKIP do not have any MPs unless you count 'that Tory' Carswell. When people voted for Carswell they were not voting for a UKIP candidate they were voting for an Independent.
    The Farage purge that followed his un-resignation may well have left him with a pretty poor backroom team. With the Euroref in less than 2 years the reason to exist is fading fast. Without their unifying europhobia they are a disparate bunch of leftist populists, quixiotic right wingers and Farages drinking buddies.

Farage had his moment and blew it.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

isam said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

I don't think Boris is really a euro sceptic though

Portillo is a genuine BOOer, a conservative with clout without the divisive element that ukip carry
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

isam said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Portillo wont want to lead the campaign. He doesn't believe a referendum should have been offered in the 1st place, because he thinks the 'stay in' side will win and this will be a massive green light for further integration and UK involvement.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,779

Tejay Van Garderen is a 22 on Betfair for the TdF. He's currently in 3rd place & tomorrow could be in yellow because it's the team time trial and his BMC team are reckoned to be the strongest.

Mike I've followed you on this. I've backed him each way at 18/1 with Corals. Good luck!

• Options
    madasafishmadasafish Posts: 659
    isam said:

HYUFD said:

isam said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Portillo is a genuine BOOer, a conservative with clout without the divisive element that ukip carry

Portillo is not a Conservative with clout, he's not even yesterday's man, or last decade's man.. He's rather like that ever so nice Mr Redwood: a proven failure. He has public knowledge through his programs on trains.. and zero political credibility outside a very narrow band of redneck out of touch Conservatives...
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

HYUFD said:

isam said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Portillo wont want to lead the campaign. He doesn't believe a referendum should have been offered in the 1st place, because he thinks the 'stay in' side will win and this will be a massive green light for further integration and UK involvement.
    He also seems to have mellowed to become Andrew Neil's sofa-warmer, and the BBC's man in seat 61. I do not think that he would want to get back to front line politics.

I am not sure that there really needs to be an official leader for either side, this is a referendum - not a presidential contest.
  • Options
    edited July 2015

HYUFD said:

isam said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Well I don't say he will but think he would be a great candidate to do so

I don't really think he would stay out of it because he thinks it shouldn't have been called because out will lose though, doesn't make sense to me that
  • Options
    edited July 2015

HYUFD said:

isam said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Unless the In side wins more than 60% there will be no such green light for more EU integration
  • Options
    isam said:

HYUFD said:

isam said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Boris has been making noises on the EUsceptic side
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

isam said:

HYUFD said:

isam said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Boris made noises on the social democratc side when he was running for the Oxford union. It's what he does to win votes.
  • Options

isam said:

HYUFD said:

isam said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Portillo is not a Conservative with clout, he's not even yesterday's man, or last decade's man.. He's rather like that ever so nice Mr Redwood: a proven failure. He has public knowledge through his programs on trains.. and zero political credibility outside a very narrow band of redneck out of touch Conservatives...
    Portillo is well known as a likeable fellow from the BBC.
  • Options
    JEO said:

HYUFD said:

isam said:

HYUFD said:

isam said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Boris made noises on the social democratc side when he was running for the Oxford union. It's what he does to win votes.
    Boris is an opportunist, now the Tories have a majority his best chance to beat Osborne and succeed Cameron is to lead the Out campaign to victory in EUref
  • Options
    JEO said:

isam said:

HYUFD said:

isam said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

And a fellow rail enthusiast :)
  • Options
    isam said:
    He needs to interview the new Greek Finance Minister.
    The Greek finance minister has published an essay arguing that it is vital for Greece to stay in the Eurozone in order to overthrow Capitalism and promote Communism in the EU from within (what a crazy guy):

http://www.workersliberty.org/system/files/milios.pdf

"Communist Dilemmas on the Greek Euro-Crisis: To Exit or
    Not to Exit?
    Christos Laskos, John Milios and Euclid Tsakalotos"
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    According to the Telegraph Corbyn is in 2nd place behind Burnham.

Jeremy Corbyn leaps into second place in race for Labour leadership supporters
    Left-wing Labour leadership candidate has backing of 28 constituencies as he quickly becomes a major player in the race

Labour MPs said privately that his surprise success was a "disaster" for the party which will "now be stuck with him".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/11732639/Jeremy-Corbyn-leaps-into-second-place-in-race-for-Labour-leadership-supporters.html
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Left-wing Labour leadership candidate has backing of 28 constituencies as he quickly becomes a major player in the race

Labour MPs said privately that his surprise success was a "disaster" for the party which will "now be stuck with him".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/11732639/Jeremy-Corbyn-leaps-into-second-place-in-race-for-Labour-leadership-supporters.html

It's not a poll (double edged sword there).
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Will be interested to see if any leadership polling for tomorrow's papers, especially the ST
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    SeanT said:

By 2020 the EU may not exist as we know it. What would UKIP do then?

Propitiously, there are rumours on Twitter that Germany is preparing, this evening, for Grexit.

Something tells me they won't actually go through with it, but we are perilously close to the edge. If Greece does go, it is easy to envisage the collapse - in the medium term - of the entire Project.

I'm not surprised, if the Germans get whiff that the new Greek Finance Minister has written an essay about the need for Greece to stay in the Eurozone just to overthrow capitalism and install communism in Europe from within, they will throw him out of the room.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,465
    SeanT said:

Propitiously, there are rumours on Twitter that Germany is preparing, this evening, for Grexit.

Something tells me they won't actually go through with it, but we are perilously close to the edge. If Greece does go, it is easy to envisage the collapse - in the medium term - of the entire Project.

There will still be politicians claiming to represent the people, but governing on behalf of powerful special interests instead. Where that is the case, I feel there is a place for a 'people's' party to act as a threat to their electorability. Sadly, due to the very nature of this party, they will be vigorously opposed in their growth and development by every comfortable strata of the existing establishment, from Betty downwards.

• Options
    JEO said:

isam said:

HYUFD said:

isam said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Also gay, and from immigrant stock... None of the misinformed bile thrown at ukip candidates would stick

I hope he goes for it
  • Options

kle4 said:

Ed had intellect???? I know he had intellectual self-confidence but intellect? Really?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

There would be worse things than having to start from scratch and just try the project again, as an EU without the bullcrap might get a lot more admirers, rather than tolerators, as at present, with the outright admirers being often very unusual people of course.

I am truly looking forward to one thing if, as anticipated, some sort of fudgy compromise is reached, and that's the linguistic contortions that will be undertaken to try to insist that this time its really sorted, that this deal was not a climbdown from anyone really or some such talk.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

felix said:

kle4 said:

Ed had intellect???? I know he had intellectual self-confidence but intellect? Really?
    Ed Miliband is not an intellectual. I cannot pinpoint a significant new idea for which he can claim ownership. Not one. Not a sausage. He just serves up warmed-over socialism, the ideological leftovers of the Seventies, covered in a sauce of opportunism.

I always felt that both of the brothers were massively over-rated - not least by themselves and a lefty, guardianista mind-set determined to over-hype them because they went to a north London comprehensive.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806

isam said:

HYUFD said:

isam said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

You say Redwood is a proven failure. I cannot agree. He is not a minister because he had the nerve to challenge a Leader/PM and is not considered to be loyal. However, if you read his blog regularly you will find many well thought out ideas.

• Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    SeanT said:

felix said:

kle4 said:

Ed Miliband is not an intellectual. I cannot pinpoint a significant new idea for which he can claim ownership. Not one. Not a sausage. He just serves up warmed-over socialism, the ideological leftovers of the Seventies, covered in a sauce of opportunism.

Just thinking about David Cameron, and looking at a mirror image of EM, I have to agree.
  • Options
    One moment I did like right at the start of the Labour leadership campaign was an event where in response to the first question which prompted the usual spiel about how it had been a well fought campaign and to praise Ed for it, the moderator basically just asked them to spare everyone that stock answer, and that it was nonsense, or words to that effect.

Though it was amusing to see people try to not appear to have been disloyal to a leader and platform they had been saying was excellent right up to the election, while wanting to explain they were the one to 'fix' the mess they were now in. It basically boiled down to 'Ed was great and our campaign was great...but we need to change what we said, how we said it and who was saying it, as those were crap'.
  • Options
    isam said:

JEO said:

isam said:

HYUFD said:

isam said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Also gay, and from immigrant stock... None of the misinformed bile thrown at ukip candidates would stick

I hope he goes for it
    Portillo is still married to a woman I believe, so he is more likely bisexual than gay
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

On Corbyn, can I just say to the Labour party: Serves. You. Right.

You wanted to be politically correct and inclusive - and this is what you get.

Being a leader needs an element of ruthlessness to beat the competition, not someone who is let in because you felt sorry for him.

• Options
    SeanT said:

felix said:

SeanT said:

felix said:

kle4 said:

I always felt that both of the brothers were massively over-rated - not least by themselves and a lefty, guardianista mind-set determined to over-hype them because they went to a north London comprehensive.
    Indeed. Ed's limitations were painfully exposed in the election. On top of his supposed deep thinking, recall that Ed was meant to be a canny political operator.

Yet he got totally whipped by the "thick poshos", saw Labour to their worst election defeat in decades, and presided over the destruction of Labour in its heartland, Scotland, an enormity from which they might never recover.

On this basis - actual election results - Miliband E was not just overrated, he was catastrophically overrated. How did someone so politically inept, electorally useless and ideologically myopic get the leadership? Labour still haven't begun to address that question.

And yes, I don't think David would have been that much better.
    Sometimes parties make mad decisions, eg Home over Butler, Foot over Healey, Hague and IDS over Clarke, Ed Miliband over David, normally because they are in a mood to put ideology above all else
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    HYUFD said:

isam said:

JEO said:

isam said:

HYUFD said:

isam said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

I hope he goes for it
    Portillo is still married to a woman I believe, so he is more likely bisexual than gay
    Ah! Still remembering the clip of one of Portillo's train journeys when he consumed a German sausage.
  • Options

On Corbyn, can I just say to the Labour party: Serves. You. Right.

You wanted to be politically correct and inclusive - and this is what you get.

Being a leader needs an element of ruthlessness to beat the competition, not someone who is let in because you felt sorry for him.

Well the Tories can hardly talk, in 2001 Tory MPs put IDS in the final 2 rather than Portillo by 1 vote
  • Options
    OchEye said:

HYUFD said:

isam said:

JEO said:

isam said:

HYUFD said:

isam said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

I hope he goes for it
    Ah! Still remembering the clip of one of Portillo's train journeys when he consumed a German sausage.
    Think I will try and forget that image!