Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Pleased to meet you: the Labour intake of 2015

SystemSystem Posts: 11,687
edited July 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Pleased to meet you: the Labour intake of 2015

The election in May was a huge disappointment for Labour, going backwards rather than forwards.  Despite losing seats, however, over one fifth of the Labour MPs elected in May were not in the House of Commons in the last Parliament.  That is a big chunk of the Parliamentary party and the new MPs will have a big influence over the party’s future direction.  Who are these new MPs, what do th…

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    DaemonBarberDaemonBarber Posts: 1,626
    1st?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,325
    Scottish tennis wannabe Andy Murray loses first set 5-7 against Roger Federer
  • Options
    Wes Streeting, my local MP seems to be backing Liz.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    New thread curse so FPT

@ms Plato said:
    My MP Caroline Ansell - Tory, emailed this out earlier today

Since becoming MP two months ago I have had more correspondence on the subject of fox hunting than just about anything else! Next week the issue will come before Parliament, and we are yet to see exactly what the specific votes will be on, but for the avoidance of doubt, I will NOT be voting for a repeal of the Fox Hunting Act.

I may have missed this but when is that much expected

"working mans fishing with line and rod in local rivers and canals and then chucking the poor fish back in for other workings mans pleasure to drag out of its natural environment with a steel barb stick in the side of the mouth"

.............. green paper going to be introduced on the floor of the house?

Nemo's have rights too you know......
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Federer: 85% of first serves in.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Mr. Song (FPT), apologies for the slow reply.

My point was consistency. Firing someone for one punch when one bite doesn't stop someone becoming director general is not consistent.
  • Options
    edited July 2015

Have no fear Sunil !! we have the technology... We can turn him British again if he wins the 2nd set.

Mind you t'would be like the utter fuckwits that run First Great Western actually getting a train on time......

EDIT - or actually running?
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited July 2015
    Interesting thread and an excellent bit of sleuthing Antifrank – too much time on your hands?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Stephen Fry:

Watching Federer/Murray #wimbledon and #theashes simultaneously. Confusing. Thought @JoeRoot05 had put the ball out when in fact he hit a 4.
  • Options
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    England upRooted.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,465
    CD13 said:

Mr Luckyguy,

"Free range and organic are obviously best."

No thanks. I prefer my e-numbers. At least, they've been tested. The most dangerous and toxic things in nature are the "organic" things - they've been developed over years to be so.

"Chemicals" tend to be purer and their toxicological profile is known.

And I like preservatives; I'm always suspicious of organic foods - you can almost see them rotting in situ.

FPPT!

Food is meant to rot. If even spoilage bacteria won't touch your food with a barge pole, it's a pretty hefty sign you shouldn't be eating it.

Chemicals do tend to be purer, which is why they're so bad for your body, which is evolved to digest wholefoods - those that have their full complement of naturally occurring vitamins, enzymes, proteins, fats, carbohydrates, and beneficial bacteria. One will help digest the other, positive effects of some will not work without the presence of the other, some will do active harm without being accompanied by the other etc.

It is acknowledged that pasteurised milk contains 'less' vitamins, no enzymes, no beneficial bacteria (it also has disrupted proteins and fat), but if it were merely a case of 'less' on a totally balanced scale, you could just drink two glasses. But in this case, obviously the high heat will have a different effect on the different elements, totally stripping some nutrients out whilst leaving others unnaffected. Little wonder then that everyone's developing milk intolerances.

• Options
    Why don't female equality activists campaign in favour of women playing best of 5 set matches at Wimbledon?
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Never understood why spraying organ crops with raw sewage was so much more preferable to chemicals – As the 2011 German E. coli scandal proved, ‘natural’ is not always better.
  • Options
    DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106
    @Antifrank.
    Research to try to get real data (*) is much better than relying on vague impressions, but is more time-consuming and challenging.

Thanks for making the effort and producing some interesting conclusions.

(*) Even with the caveat that it is not an exact science
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    Moses_ said:

I may have missed this but when is that much expected

"working mans fishing with line and rod in local rivers and canals and then chucking the poor fish back in for other workings mans pleasure to drag out of its natural environment with a steel barb stick in the side of the mouth"

.............. green paper going to be introduced on the floor of the house?

Nemo's have rights too you know......

FWIW I was openly opposed to sports fishing of the type you describe (as opposed to fishing where you eat what you catch) from the time I was elected in 1997. I don't think it ever lost any votes - people could see the logic of opposing causing suffering for fun, while not criticising people who provided food for the table. Conversely I never opposed shooting per se if the birds were eaten - couldn't see much difference from factory farming and thought it was arguably less nasty. It's a huntsman's fantasy that all or even most critics are motivated by class envy.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Have no fear Sunil !! we have the technology... We can turn him British again if he wins the 2nd set.

Mind you t'would be like the utter fuckwits that run First Great Western actually getting a train on time......

I'm glad I did my Birmingham-Worcester-Oxford-London trip last Friday, and the return London-Oxford-Worcester-Birmingham on Monday morning.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Interesting thread and an excellent bit of sleuthing Antifrank – too much time on your hands?

Unless American television has been lying to me, all lawyers have a squad of private investigators at their beck and call.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Buttler buttered now. Maybe we won't need to declare after all.
    Edit: and Stokes too. 240/7.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Unless American television has been lying to me, all lawyers have a squad of private investigators at their beck and call.
    American television has been lying to you. Though I do sometimes enlist some help for my research, which I then check carefully, on this occasion it's all my own work.

It shouldn't come as a surprise that I next intend to have a look at the new Conservative MPs.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    :open_mouth:
    Member of parliament: Greek finance minister's signature causes a stir online... but does he REALLY use such a rude-looking symbol?

Euclid Tsakalotos appeared to sign official document with phallic scrawl
    The Oxford-educated economist takes on the challenge of Greek's finance
    Questions have been raised over the authenticity of the signature

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3156231/Member-parliament-Greek-finance-minister-s-signature-causes-stir-online-does-REALLY-use-rude-looking-symbol.html#ixzz3fVXLy6Cq
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
  • Options
    Plato said:

Member of parliament: Greek finance minister's signature causes a stir online... but does he REALLY use such a rude-looking symbol?

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3156231/Member-parliament-Greek-finance-minister-s-signature-causes-stir-online-does-REALLY-use-rude-looking-symbol.html#ixzz3fVXLy6Cq
    The Penis is mightier than the Sword???
  • Options
    Federer is 34 in a few weeks time. Still playing like a 24 year-old.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,481
    Jeremy Corbyn’s prospects in the Labour leadership election were boosted when it was confirmed that about 30,000 Unite members have signed up as registered party supporters, able to vote in the contest.

The trade union has been supporting the leftwing candidate initially seen as on the fringes of the four-way race, but he is gaining so much support that he is being taken more seriously.

http://bit.ly/1JZiBTk
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100

Jeremy Corbyn’s prospects in the Labour leadership election were boosted when it was confirmed that about 30,000 Unite members have signed up as registered party supporters, able to vote in the contest.

The trade union has been supporting the leftwing candidate initially seen as on the fringes of the four-way race, but he is gaining so much support that he is being taken more seriously.

When it comes to Corbyn, second preferences are what matter.
  • Options
    Plato said:

Just proves that he is a dickhead.
  • Options
    Dr. Prasannan, gladius was also slang for a penis.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited July 2015
    My sources from Athens indicate a change of government and possible early elections are due.
    Syriza and Anel are on the verge of splitting, Tsipras might not remain PM for long.

This time the splits are clearly on the EU fault-line not the austerity one, actually they have merged into a "Lets leave to EU to end austerity" narrative.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Murray even MORE Scottish now! Second set to Federer 7-5.
  • Options
    frpenkridgefrpenkridge Posts: 670
    If the BBC want voluntary payments by the 75+ people perhaps they could employ those nice people at the charity cold-call centres. They seem to have a particular talent for parting pensioners from their money.
  • Options
    He typed the official document in Comic Sans for added Eff-Off appeal
    Disraeli said:

Plato said:

Just proves that he is a dickhead.

• Options
    Yes good research antifrank but your conclusion?

antifrank "Taken as a whole, this looks like a talented intake. There is an undeniable leftward lean to the intake and a relatively narrow set of backgrounds. With very few exceptions these new MPs lack experience in the private sector and interest in the getting rather than the spending aspects of politics."

It looks much much weaker than the 2010 Conservative intake. That IMHO is good news. When 80%+ of people working are in the private sector to have 90%+ of the MPs from the public/union sector is a massive disconnect. Add in the complete inability to win the senior votes and we have a "mere flesh wound" level of problem for Labour.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    AndyJS said:

Why don't female equality activists campaign in favour of women playing best of 5 set matches at Wimbledon?

If women genuinely wanted equal prize money, the men's prize would be divided by the number of games he played, to provide the going rate, then the woman's winners prize would be the number of games she played multiplied by the going rate.

Suspect they're not going to ask for that though.

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    So here I am sitting in the airport lounge. Any polls due tonight? :D
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079
    saddened said:

AndyJS said:

If women genuinely wanted equal prize money, the men's prize would be divided by the number of games he played, to provide the going rate, then the woman's winners prize would be the number of games she played multiplied by the going rate.
    I think you need to relearn the meaning of 'prize'.
  • Options

Dare I ask what gladiators were?... titters
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited July 2015

There was someone on here who predicted that the unions would sign up a lot.
    Innocent face.
    30k so far from one union so far! If the unions get 70k + they may have a big influence.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Which airport?
  • Options
    Australia need 412 runs to win from 180 overs over 2 days. Runrate = 2.3 runs an over.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

RobD said:

Which airport?
    SFO
  • Options
    Okay, so England play like we are used to seeing them. 412 the target in the morning.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

When it comes to Corbyn, second preferences are what matter.
    Yes, but only up to a point. If 100,00 Union members sign up to vote for him, second preferences may not be needed.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,931
    BBC Weather has it raining in Cardiff from 9pm Sat night until at least 1pm Sunday

I have had a little dab at the draw 33/1
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    Top notch post Antifrank. Respect.

We have been having a sequence of excellent headers lately - my thanks to the commissioner(s) and correspondents.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    edited July 2015
    SeanT

I see they'e got a conviction in the Paige Chivers case

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jul/10/paige-chivers-robert-ewing-guilty-paedophile

No obvious Asian grooming link.
  • Options
    isam said:

BBC Weather has it raining in Cardiff from 9pm Sat night until at least 1pm Sunday

I have had a little dab at the draw 33/1

Yep - I was laying it at 4 and 5 in the morning, backed at 33 now for a good day's work! ;-)
  • Options

SeanT

I see they'e got a conviction in the Paige Chivers case

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jul/10/paige-chivers-robert-ewing-guilty-paedophile

No obvious Asian grooming link.

It's odd that none of the papers seem to have a photo of this person...
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    edited July 2015

antifrank "Taken as a whole, this looks like a talented intake. There is an undeniable leftward lean to the intake and a relatively narrow set of backgrounds. With very few exceptions these new MPs lack experience in the private sector and interest in the getting rather than the spending aspects of politics."

It looks much much weaker than the 2010 Conservative intake. That IMHO is good news. When 80%+ of people working are in the private sector to have 90%+ of the MPs from the public/union sector is a massive disconnect. Add in the complete inability to win the senior votes and we have a "mere flesh wound" level of problem for Labour.

Losing parties always have a more ideological intake, the 2001 new Tory intake was more rightwing for example and private school educated, ex army, business or finance so it is hardly a surprise the losing Labour intake is more leftwing and from the public sector.

According to yougov's post election breakdown poll of 100,000 adults Labour won 25% of over 60s, below its national score, but 32% of 52-59 year olds, slightly above its national score
    https://yougov.co.uk/news/2015/06/08/general-election-2015-how-britain-really-voted/
  • Options
    scotslassscotslass Posts: 912
    The Cumbernauld local election last night represents a 25.5 per cent swing Labour to SNP with a reference point of the 2012 election where SNP and Labour were effectively level pegging.

On a uniform national move it would mean that the NATS are currently 50 per cent ahead of Labour!

Clearly the lion is still roaring!
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Okay, so England play like we are used to seeing them. 412 the target in the morning.

Thanks for the draw lay tip - hit the trigger at 7.3ish for £30 profit.
  • Options
    scotslass said:

The Cumbernauld local election last night represents a 25.5 per cent swing Labour to SNP with a reference point of the 2012 election where SNP and Labour were effectively level pegging.

On a uniform national move it would mean that the NATS are currently 50 per cent ahead of Labour!

Clearly the lion is still roaring!

That ward must have been one of the most entrenched Labour wards in the country for the result to be still so relatively close.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited July 2015
    HYUFD said:

Losing parties always have a more ideological intake, the 2001 new Tory intake was more rightwing for example and private school educated, ex army, business or finance so it is hardly a surprise the losing Labour intake is more leftwing and from the public sector.

According to yougov's post election breakdown poll of 100,000 adults Labour won 25% of over 60s, below its national score, but 32% of 52-59 year olds, slightly above its national score
    https://yougov.co.uk/news/2015/06/08/general-election-2015-how-britain-really-voted/
    I suppose it is because losing parties disproportionally win in their safe seats, and more centrist candidates in either party (or at least people who pretend to be centrist) get the marginals where they can pitch to switch voters from the other party.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    AndyJS said:

That's always bugged me too actually. The men don't usually play best of 5 matches, it's only the Grand Slams I believe? So it's what distinguishes a normal tournament from a Grand Slam tournament, besides history and mere designation. In which case, why shouldn't the women do the same; if both sexes typically play best of 3, I should think they can both handle the big tournaments be best of 5. It also allows more chances for epic comebacks from 2 sets down.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Because after all that work an sweat it would show their cripples of course
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    Interesting analysis, makes the SNP intake look much better given the broad range of backgrounds - I dusted off this graphic which is pretty neat. Another interesting piece of data which would be good to know is - how many MPs actually lived in their constituency before being elected ?

https://twitter.com/RobbieDinwoodie/status/600266504744148992
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Thanks for the draw lay tip - hit the trigger at 7.3ish for £30 profit.
    No worries. I've greened up thanks to @iSam, who spotted it had moved all the way to 33 after I'd stopped following at about 12 earlier - it was all over the place today if you could get on at the right time, as the wickets fell and rain forecasts came and went.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

That's always bugged me too actually. The men don't usually play best of 5 matches, it's only the Grand Slams I believe? So it's what distinguishes a normal tournament from a Grand Slam tournament, besides history and mere designation. In which case, why shouldn't the women do the same; if both sexes typically play best of 3, I should think they can both handle the big tournaments be best of 5. It also allows more chances for epic comebacks from 2 sets down.
    If they did there would be more of a case for equal pay
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    calum said:

Interesting analysis, makes the SNP intake look much better given the broad range of backgrounds - I dusted off this graphic which is pretty neat. Another interesting piece of data which would be good to know is - how many MPs actually lived in their constituency before being elected ?

https://twitter.com/RobbieDinwoodie/status/600266504744148992

Before elected, nearly all of them. Before selected, well that's much harder to find out.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I suppose it is because losing parties disproportionally win in their safe seats, and more centrist candidates in either party (or at least people who pretend to be centrist) get the marginals where they can pitch to switch voters from the other party.
    Exactly right, when the new intake tends to be from safer seats replacing retiring MPs they tend to be more ideological and more typical of their party, ie private school and Oxbridge and the City for the Tories, public sector and social workers for Labour. When the party wins more marginal seats then they tend to be a bit more reflective of the nation as a whole eg in 1997 and 2001 Labour did elect some MPs with business and private sector experience, in 2010 and 2015 the Tories have had a small majority of MPs who went to state school for the first time
  • Options
    "The Greek state secretary for industry in the run-up to its debt crisis, who supervised a 5.5bn euro recession loan plan, has an MBA from a bogus university, Channel 4 News reveals."

http://www.channel4.com/news/former-greek-industry-minister-bogus-mba-fake-university
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited July 2015
    I'm not sure the "safe Labour seats have more left-wing MPs" argument really is true. In the Blair years, quite a few of the ultimate heartland seats (especially in the North East) had some very centrist MPs parachuted in.

The newly-elected Wirral West MP also ran on a platform which was more left-wing rhetorically than the national Labour campaign (it was much more forthright in condemning welfare cuts in particular, though admittedly this was helped by the fact the opponent was one of the Tories' poster girls for the cuts).
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

I'm not sure the "safe Labour seats have more left-wing MPs" argument really is true. In the Blair years, quite a few of the ultimate heartland seats (especially in the North East) had some very centrist MPs parachuted in.

The newly-elected Wirral West MP also ran on a platform which was more left-wing rhetorically than the national Labour campaign (it was much more forthright in condemning welfare cuts in particular, though admittedly this was helped by the fact the opponent was one of the Tories' poster girls for the cuts).

Was this one of the few seats without a Green?

There is obviously some variation. Liz Kendall, Chuka Umunna, Ken Clark are all in safe seats for example.
  • Options
    Ok getting a lot of grief here in moses household from daughters about dogs cats and fecking gerbils ! Yeah I know we have all been there etc....etc

Dogs a no go really because we (I) cannot be on location all the time so entirely unfair at the moment

Sooooo."

What the best type of kitten * (see note) breed to get and why? Needs to family pet and just look after itself. The reason I ask is anything to return sanity and so I can get back on PB ........

* kittens that eat daughters are entirely acceptable. Kittens should note that before application they should state any allergies before application .

This post operates an equal kitten policy.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

"The Greek state secretary for industry in the run-up to its debt crisis, who supervised a 5.5bn euro recession loan plan, has an MBA from a bogus university, Channel 4 News reveals."

http://www.channel4.com/news/former-greek-industry-minister-bogus-mba-fake-university

2007-9 would have put him in a government well before the Trotskyite clowns surely?
  • Options
    Good evening, everyone.

Hope Federer beats Djokovic.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Ok getting a lot of grief here in moses household from daughters about dogs cats and fecking gerbils ! Yeah I know we have all been there etc....etc

Dogs a no go really because we (I) cannot be on location all the time so entirely unfair at the moment

Sooooo."

What the best type of kitten * (see note) breed to get and why? Needs to family pet and just look after itself. The reason I ask is anything to return sanity and so I can get back on PB ........

* kittens that eat daughters are entirely acceptable. Kittens should note that before application they should state any allergies before application .

Get daughter to pick the kitten. Plenty of homeless ones out there. My cat was a kitten of a pedigree siamese who had a night on the tiles with a lusty farm tomcat. Hybrid vigour, intelligent and feeds herself if left to own devices. Tucking into a fresh rabbit on the lawn at present...
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Mr. Moses, I remember Miss Plato saying Maine Coons[sp] (large cats) are very dog-like. Could be the closest thing to a good compromise.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    I'd recommend my favourits - big, fluffy but very little maintenance, and self-reliant/cuddly. The cat in the O2 be-more-dog adverts is one.

http://www.yourcat.co.uk/Cat-Breed-Profiles/maine-coon-cat-breed-profile.html
    Moses_ said:

Sooooo."

• Options
    An interesting bet would be for both Roger Federer and Serena Williams to be Wimbledon champions at the age of 35.
  • Options

Danny565 said:

Was this one of the few seats without a Green?

There is obviously some variation. Liz Kendall, Chuka Umunna, Ken Clark are all in safe seats for example.
    Anna Soubry, NPXMP were elected to marginals.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

Moses_ said:

Sooooo."

Get daughter to pick the kitten. Plenty of homeless ones out there. My cat was a kitten of a pedigree siamese who had a night on the tiles with a lusty farm tomcat. Hybrid vigour, intelligent and feeds herself if left to own devices. Tucking into a fresh rabbit on the lawn at present...
    Mongrels are generally preferable to pure-breeds.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

It is more to do with background than ideology. There are far more Tory MPs who went to private school, for instance, when the Tories have lost the last election, more Labour MPs who worked in the public sector when they have been defeated
  • Options

Tucking into a fresh rabbit on the lawn at present...

Watch out for the amateur-produced leaflet through the door from a neighbour asking "Has anyone seen our pet rabbit?"
  • Options
    Mr. F, I know about inbreeding when it comes to dogs, didn't realise it was a cat issue as well.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

It's interesting to see how sharply younger mens' and womens' opinions diverge, whereas there's no big gender difference among middle-aged and old voters.
  • Options

Mr. F, I know about inbreeding when it comes to dogs, didn't realise it was a cat issue as well.

Persians and Rag Dolls are prone to all kinds of genetic disorders.
  • Options
    Not so prevalent IME but can be an issue for congenital heart condition, mon-orchidism - but that's the only two I've seen as a result of inbreeding. Small Maine Coons tend to come from closely bred parents.

Siamese and related breeds suffer from cross-eyes, Bengal and Siamese can have a tail kink right at the end. Any good breeder would never mate animals with them and all registered ones frown on mating within 5 generations. So you shouldn't see in a pedigree certificate any related lines up to great-great-grandparent

• Options
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

It's interesting to see how sharply younger mens' and womens' opinions diverge, whereas there's no big gender difference among middle-aged and old voters.
    Indeed, will be interesting to see if that follows through in future years into later age groups
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    AndyJS said:

An interesting bet would be for both Roger Federer and Serena Williams to be Wimbledon champions at the age of 35.

Roger Federer is 33 !

So is Serena. Ian Bell too ;)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed, will be interesting to see if that follows through in future years into later age groups
    I think a fair number of young men and young women are hostile to our political and economic establishment, but for quite opposite reasons. The archetypal left-wing voter is a young Guardian-reading female graduate. The archetypal right-wing voter is a young Mail-reading male self-employed builder.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

I think a fair number of young men and young women are hostile to our political and economic establishment, but for quite opposite reasons. The archetypal left-wing voter is a young Guardian-reading female graduate. The archetypal right-wing voter is a young Mail-reading male self-employed builder.
    Although ironically, that archetypal right-wing voter in England, went for the Left in the most recent election in Scotland (I remember seeing an amusing survey of builders, which showed the SNP had almost as much support among them as Labour did in the whole of the UK).
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

Roger Federer is 33 !

Jack Nicklaus won the US Masters at 46!
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,931
    Plato said:

I'd recommend my favourits - big, fluffy but very little maintenance, and self-reliant/cuddly. The cat in the O2 be-more-dog adverts is one.

Moses_ said:

Sooooo."

My cat Alfmungus is a Maine Coon... beautiful boy he follows me down the road to the shops and waits for me like a dog would... can be seen staring out a fox on my twitter
  • Options
    Labour CLP nominations update:

Burnham - 38
    Corbyn - 28
    Cooper - 24
    Kendall - 5

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2015/07/which-clps-are-nominating-who-labour-leadership-contest
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed, the leftwing voter is also likely to be living in London or another major city and work in the public sector, the rightwing voter in the suburbs or a market town and as you say work in the private sector, probably as a small businessman or self-employed (he is probably more likely to read the Sun than the Mail though, at least the print version anyway)
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Yes I know, I meant it would be an interesting bet for the future. Obviously placing a bet on them now winning Wimbledon in 2017 would get better odds than waiting until nearer the time.
    Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

Roger Federer is 33 !

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

Roger Federer is 33 !

A touch easier to do in golf, but youth still has a massive advantage.

Bernard Hopkins boxing career in his 40s is remarkable.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    isam said:

Plato said:

Moses_ said:

Sooooo."

My cat Alfmungus is a Maine Coon... beautiful boy he follows me down the road to the shops and waits for me like a dog would... can be seen staring out a fox on my twitter
    Love Maine Coons. We have a big ginger tabby boy.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

Roger Federer is 33 !

Indeed, but he had not won even won PGA event in the 2 years prior to that Major. Even more impressive for a boxer to keep going in their 40s
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Rod Liddle argues the EU should be replaced by the Hanseatic League which was previously in existence between 1358 and 1862:

http://www.spectator.co.uk/columnists/rod-liddle/9577002/ditch-the-eu-bring-back-the-hanseatic-league/
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

Roger Federer is 33 !

Indeed, but he had not won even won PGA event in the 2 years prior to that Major. Even more impressive for a boxer to keep going in their 40s
    QUite a few do, even when they shouldn't - but the level he kept up in his 40s was quite remarkable. He should probably retire now, Kovalev beat him well.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Rod Liddle argues the EU should be replaced by the Hanseatic League which was previously in existence between 1358 and 1862:

http://www.spectator.co.uk/columnists/rod-liddle/9577002/ditch-the-eu-bring-back-the-hanseatic-league/

What glorious acronyms.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    MTimT said:

isam said:

Plato said:

Moses_ said:

Sooooo."

Love Maine Coons. We have a big ginger tabby boy.
    We have 2 Maine Coons, a red tabby and a blue and silver with white, their great cats. Finally something everyone on PB can agree upon !!

We also had a Bengal, which used to yowl 24/7 - just like having a baby in the house. Sadly he disappeared a couple of years ago.
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    David Cameron has united the tech world against the stupidity of the encryption ban:

http://www.overclock3d.net/articles/gpu_displays/cameron_s_encryption_ban_will_destroy_the_internet/1
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

If the US is anything to go by then marriage and children will see them shift right.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    JEO said:

David Cameron has united the tech world against the stupidity of the encryption ban:

http://www.overclock3d.net/articles/gpu_displays/cameron_s_encryption_ban_will_destroy_the_internet/1

It is indeed a truly stupid suggestion.

I realise Cameron doesn't understand the tech himself, but he's been badly advised on this one.

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

You mean 'the pen is mightier than the sword' was really meant to be 'the pen is mightier than the penis'?

Was Shakespeare taking the piss?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,632
    How many of the new Labour intake are mums? Isn't that the essential experience to be a prominent politician these days?
  • Options