Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Pleased to meet you: the Labour intake of 2015

2»

Comments

• Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    FalseFlag said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Yes good research antifrank but your conclusion?

antifrank "Taken as a whole, this looks like a talented intake. There is an undeniable leftward lean to the intake and a relatively narrow set of backgrounds. With very few exceptions these new MPs lack experience in the private sector and interest in the getting rather than the spending aspects of politics."

It looks much much weaker than the 2010 Conservative intake. That IMHO is good news. When 80%+ of people working are in the private sector to have 90%+ of the MPs from the public/union sector is a massive disconnect. Add in the complete inability to win the senior votes and we have a "mere flesh wound" level of problem for Labour.

Losing parties always have a more ideological intake, the 2001 new Tory intake was more rightwing for example and private school educated, ex army, business or finance so it is hardly a surprise the losing Labour intake is more leftwing and from the public sector.

According to yougov's post election breakdown poll of 100,000 adults Labour won 25% of over 60s, below its national score, but 32% of 52-59 year olds, slightly above its national score
    https://yougov.co.uk/news/2015/06/08/general-election-2015-how-britain-really-voted/
    It's interesting to see how sharply younger mens' and womens' opinions diverge, whereas there's no big gender difference among middle-aged and old voters.
    Indeed, will be interesting to see if that follows through in future years into later age groups
    If the US is anything to go by then marriage and children will see them shift right.
    I suspect the cause of the difference is that older men and women are often married to each other, so might sympathise with their points of view a bit more.
  • Options

JEO said:

David Cameron has united the tech world against the stupidity of the encryption ban:

http://www.overclock3d.net/articles/gpu_displays/cameron_s_encryption_ban_will_destroy_the_internet/1

It is indeed a truly stupid suggestion.

I realise Cameron doesn't understand the tech himself, but he's been badly advised on this one.

An insane policy if this comes to pass

• Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    My 50th anniversary edition of The Avengers has arrived today, shipped from Amazon UK's facility in Dunfermline on Monday. Weighs about 5lbs, and amazon charged me 3.08 pounds for shipping - what a deal :)
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,027

JEO said:

David Cameron has united the tech world against the stupidity of the encryption ban:

http://www.overclock3d.net/articles/gpu_displays/cameron_s_encryption_ban_will_destroy_the_internet/1

I realise Cameron doesn't understand the tech himself, but he's been badly advised on this one.

Almost worthy of Ed Miliband that particular piece of nonsense.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

JEO said:

Almost worthy of Ed Miliband that particular piece of nonsense.
    It makes me suspect that this is a piece of media management.
    1. Come out with an insane policy that everyone can easily object too.
    2. The actual (a bit milder) policy that comes out later gets ignored as the media circus has moved on by then.
    3. Everybody carries on as before.

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,214
    edited July 2015
    FalseFlag said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

antifrank "Taken as a whole, this looks like a talented intake. There is an undeniable leftward lean to the intake and a relatively narrow set of backgrounds. With very few exceptions these new MPs lack experience in the private sector and interest in the getting rather than the spending aspects of politics."

It looks much much weaker than the 2010 Conservative intake. That IMHO is good news. When 80%+ of people working are in the private sector to have 90%+ of the MPs from the public/union sector is a massive disconnect. Add in the complete inability to win the senior votes and we have a "mere flesh wound" level of problem for Labour.

Losing parties always have a more ideological intake, the 2001 new Tory intake was more rightwing for example and private school educated, ex army, business or finance so it is hardly a surprise the losing Labour intake is more leftwing and from the public sector.

According to yougov's post election breakdown poll of 100,000 adults Labour won 25% of over 60s, below its national score, but 32% of 52-59 year olds, slightly above its national score
    https://yougov.co.uk/news/2015/06/08/general-election-2015-how-britain-really-voted/
    It's interesting to see how sharply younger mens' and womens' opinions diverge, whereas there's no big gender difference among middle-aged and old voters.
    Indeed, will be interesting to see if that follows through in future years into later age groups
    If the US is anything to go by then marriage and children will see them shift right.
    Maybe, but probably not if they work in the public sector. In the US married women tend to be the classic 'Soccer Mom' swing voters Bill Clinton was so good at winning who then switched to Dubya and Obama (at least in 2008)
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

An interesting bet would be for both Roger Federer and Serena Williams to be Wimbledon champions at the age of 35.

Roger Federer is 33 !

So is Serena. Ian Bell too ;)
    Jack Nicklaus won the US Masters at 46!
    A touch easier to do in golf, but youth still has a massive advantage.

Bernard Hopkins boxing career in his 40s is remarkable.
    Indeed, but he had not won even won PGA event in the 2 years prior to that Major. Even more impressive for a boxer to keep going in their 40s
    QUite a few do, even when they shouldn't - but the level he kept up in his 40s was quite remarkable. He should probably retire now, Kovalev beat him well.
    Indeed, I think eventually everyone has to accept they have pushed their body beyond its limits once they reach a certain age
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    FalseFlag said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Hostility to the entire idea of marriage and children is probably what makes a lot of them Left.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

An interesting bet would be for both Roger Federer and Serena Williams to be Wimbledon champions at the age of 35.

Roger Federer is 33 !

Indeed, but he had not won even won PGA event in the 2 years prior to that Major. Even more impressive for a boxer to keep going in their 40s
    QUite a few do, even when they shouldn't - but the level he kept up in his 40s was quite remarkable. He should probably retire now, Kovalev beat him well.
    Indeed, I think eventually everyone has to accept they have pushed their body beyond its limits once they reach a certain age
    A certain Eldrick Tont Woods isn't buying it.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

FalseFlag said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Maybe, but probably not if they work in the public sector. In the US married women tend to be the classic 'Soccer Mom' swing voters Bill Clinton was so good at winning who then switched to Dubya and Obama (at least in 2008)
    Do my eyes deceive me, or did that read "soccer mum" a few minutes ago? :)
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

Roger Federer is 33 !

Very true! I'm 60 in two weeks, last Saturday I had to have emergency laser treatment for a torn retina.

I'm slowly falling apart but very happy to still be here!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

Roger Federer is 33 !

Very true! I'm 60 in two weeks, last Saturday I had to have emergency laser treatment for a torn retina.

My daughter keeps telling me not to piss her off as she's the one who'll decide what home I end up in.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,203

How many of the new Labour intake are mums? Isn't that the essential experience to be a prominent politician these days?

Only women can do parenting. Dads have nothing to do with it.

After all, it's not as if any men ever chuck in their jobs to look after the kid (s) whilst their wives put bread on the table.

:)
  • Options

How many of the new Labour intake are mums? Isn't that the essential experience to be a prominent politician these days?

After all, it's not as if any men ever chuck in their jobs to look after the kid (s) whilst their wives put bread on the table.

Even some former Shadow Chancellors end up as househusbands!
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

FalseFlag said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Do my eyes deceive me, or did that read "soccer mum" a few minutes ago? :)
    I believe the Americans spell it differently!
  • Options

Prince Philip? :)
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

Roger Federer is 33 !

Tiger is only 40 in December, still 6 years to go to match Jack's Masters win!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

Roger Federer is 33 !

Sorry to hear that Nigel and hope the treatment went OK, you seem to have a positive attitude anyway
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

He was a trendsetter. Or given today's news, should that be a fu***ng trendsetter?

(ISTR he had a very promising naval career ahead of him, which he gave up when he marries Lizzie. Or at least a more promising naval career than his eldest son's).
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

It only really counts if they're looking after the kids from when they're babies. If they're at school they've missed the hard bits (or at least what I presume are the hard bits - they're most certainly the messy bits).

Besides, any sign of a nanny and they're not really doing the job ...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

Roger Federer is 33 !

Tiger has had laser eye surgery twice, four operations on his left knee, a broken left leg - not to mention chronic back ailments, achilles tendon problems, and so on. Neither his left leg or his back are - or will probably ever will be - 100%.

In calendar years he may be 40, but thanks to his violent and strenuous golf swing, his leg and back are much older than 40.

Incidentally I was there for Jack's 1986 Masters win - it was my first year on the scoring committee. It was absolute magic.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    Tim_B said:

I think Prince Philip was a great father. Like Randyll Tarly.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Tim_B said:

I think Prince Philip was a great father. Like Randyll Tarly.
    'Was'?

His asshole is still perpendicular, unless I've missed the announcement.....
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,506
    Danny565 said:

Labour CLP nominations update:

Burnham - 38
    Corbyn - 28
    Cooper - 24
    Kendall - 5

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2015/07/which-clps-are-nominating-who-labour-leadership-contest

This is getting quite a lot of coverage. See also http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/11732639/Jeremy-Corbyn-leaps-into-second-place-in-race-for-Labour-leadership-supporters.html

Why? I really don't get why this is relevant to a OMOV election. Is it simply a substitution for polling? I think it is vanishingly unlikely that the sort of person who turns up to constituency meetings has a huge amount in common with your average member but I may well be wrong.
  • Options
    By the way, as someone coming to this very late can I just add that this is a superb and revealing analysis by antifrank. The gap between the make up of the PLP and modern Britain seems destined to grow wider yet.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

It only really counts if they're looking after the kids from when they're babies. If they're at school they've missed the hard bits (or at least what I presume are the hard bits - they're most certainly the messy bits).

Besides, any sign of a nanny and they're not really doing the job ...
    True, though I am afraid I have no great expertise on the Balls-Cooper household arrangements
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

Roger Federer is 33 !

Sorry to hear that Nigel and hope the treatment went OK, you seem to have a positive attitude anyway
    Thanks, my daughters seem concerned but told them it's only a poxy torn retina, it's not going to kill me. Unless I can't see a bus coming of course.
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

Roger Federer is 33 !

Tiger has had laser eye surgery twice, four operations on his left knee, a broken left leg - not to mention chronic back ailments, achilles tendon problems, and so on. Neither his left leg or his back are - or will probably ever will be - 100%.

In calendar years he may be 40, but thanks to his violent and strenuous golf swing, his leg and back are much older than 40.

Incidentally I was there for Jack's 1986 Masters win - it was my first year on the scoring committee. It was absolute magic.
    Pro wrestlers often find their bodies breakdown before the age of 40 too due to their rampant use of PEDs.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,616
    Andy Murray = Ed Miliband :(
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

Roger Federer is 33 !

Thanks, my daughters seem concerned but told them it's only a poxy torn retina, it's not going to kill me. Unless I can't see a bus coming of course.
    It's not just buses coming, let's not forget the silent assassins - the Nissan Leaf and the Tesla.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

Roger Federer is 33 !

Indeed, looks like Jack will keep his record then, you were lucky to be there for the win, one of the great sporting moments!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

Roger Federer is 33 !

He's a month younger than me :)
  • Options
    FalseFlag said:

Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

Roger Federer is 33 !

Pro wrestlers often find their bodies breakdown before the age of 40 too due to their rampant use of PEDs.
    Tiger is certainly rampant...
  • Options

A north London jew with adenoidal speech?
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited July 2015
    DavidL said:

Danny565 said:

Burnham - 38
    Corbyn - 28
    Cooper - 24
    Kendall - 5

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2015/07/which-clps-are-nominating-who-labour-leadership-contest

This is getting quite a lot of coverage. See also http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/11732639/Jeremy-Corbyn-leaps-into-second-place-in-race-for-Labour-leadership-supporters.html

Why? I really don't get why this is relevant to a OMOV election. Is it simply a substitution for polling? I think it is vanishingly unlikely that the sort of person who turns up to constituency meetings has a huge amount in common with your average member but I may well be wrong.
    The CLP nominations were a reasonably good guide last time; David Miliband narrowly got more nominations.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

No, a Loser!
  • Options
    FlightpathlFlightpathl Posts: 1,243

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

Roger Federer is 33 !

Glad you are OK - hope you are feeling fit. However, what caused the torn retina? I'm not being funny (and I'm not knowledgeable) I know of somebody who had a detached retina and then a few days later he died of a stroke like collapse.
  • Options

Tim_B said:

No, a Loser!
    That's hardly news - he had the misfortune to come along when there were a couple of dominant players.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

Roger Federer is 33 !

Glad you are OK - hope you are feeling fit. However, what caused the torn retina? I'm not being funny (and I'm not knowledgeable) I know of somebody who had a detached retina and then a few days later he died of a stroke like collapse.
    Blimey, thanks for the reassurance!

They don't know what causes it but I suspect it happened a few months ago, I've had blurred vision and flashing lights for a while now, for a time I thought I was back in my old local!
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

DavidL said:

Danny565 said:

Burnham - 38
    Corbyn - 28
    Cooper - 24
    Kendall - 5

The CLP nominations were a reasonably good guide last time; David Miliband narrowly got more nominations.
    Interesting. Did it stay close down the order, eg did Balls and Burnham get very few?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited July 2015
    DavidL said:

It's clearly not a strong indicator, but it is an indicator of sorts and we don't have much in the way of better information. I think one can draw two tentative conclusions:

1. Liz is toast

2. Jeremy is going to do surprisingly well.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

DavidL said:

It's clearly not a strong indicator, but it is an indicator of sorts and we don't have much in the way of better information. I think one can draw two tentative conclusions:

1. Liz is toast

Laying Liz Kendall looks clear cut at anything close to current prices.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

Roger Federer is 33 !

Well you still have a few years left to win the Masters then Sunil, better get down the driving range!
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Agreed.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

Roger Federer is 33 !

Well hope the treatment has helped anyway
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

Roger Federer is 33 !

Blimey, thanks for the reassurance!

They don't know what causes it but I suspect it happened a few months ago, I've had blurred vision and flashing lights for a while now, for a time I thought I was back in my old local!
    Not wishing to cause you a panic, FWIW I get a bit of blurred vision every now and again in one eye - your comment immediately makes me think that if it happens again I might actually go to the doctors. The 2 incidents for my acquaintance may be probably were just coincidence, but it makes me think.

My wife BTW at one time came very close to going blind due to acute (?) glaucoma. She needed laser treatment to drill little holes to relieve the pressure behind her eye. It was scary at the time.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

antifrank said:

Agreed.
    Difficult to know why Labour are going to land up with Burnham.. Whatever "Henry G" might say... Yvette isn't the answer but then neither is anyone in the Labour Party.

Which Labour MP currently not in the running has any form of gravitas. I am struggling to think of anyone.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

Roger Federer is 33 !

Thanks again, I have to go back in a week or so and will find out then.
  • Options

DavidL said:

1. Liz is toast

Hard to argue with either of these conclusions. Shame about Liz but she has not made anything like the breakthrough that she needed to given her poorer name recognition.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

Roger Federer is 33 !

Well you still have a few years left to win the Masters then Sunil, better get down the driving range!
    HYUFD except that Golf is perhaps the only sport more boring than Test Cricket :)
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    edited July 2015

Except Andy Murray is world class because he has won grand slams before and probably will again.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

Roger Federer is 33 !

HYUFD except that Golf is perhaps the only sport more boring than Test Cricket :)
    I've watched every ball of this Test, though I will miss some of tomorrow's play.

Test cricket is the best sport in the world.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    In answer to DavidL's question of how good a predictor the CLP nominations were last time for the whole field, the answer is: not bad

Diane Abbott — 20
    Ed Balls — 17
    Andy Burnham — 44
    David Miliband — 164
    Ed Miliband — 151

http://labourlist.org/2010/06/clp-nominations/

Note however that Balls ended up doing a lot better, and Burnham rather worse, amongst members than that would indicate.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,189

AMWNBPM
  • Options

antifrank said:

Agreed.
    Difficult to know why Labour are going to land up with Burnham.. Whatever "Henry G" might say... Yvette isn't the answer but then neither is anyone in the Labour Party.

Which Labour MP currently not in the running has any form of gravitas. I am struggling to think of anyone.
    James Purnell would have been ideal.
  • Options

AMWNBPM
    AMWNBWC

(EHWI2013!)
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    Just to reiterate what everyone else has said (bad experience of eye diseases in my family too): all the best nigel. And take care of yourself - going to the doc is like going to the bog, when you've got to go, you've got to go, or things get messy :-)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

Roger Federer is 33 !

Indeed, looks like Jack will keep his record then, you were lucky to be there for the win, one of the great sporting moments!
    The first time I met him was in the men's room at the clubhouse!

If Tiger can put four good rounds together at the right time (and the Greenbrier doesn't count because it's an easy course with lots of rain), he might well win another major.

I don't think he has a cat in hell's chance of winning four.

The door is closing for Tiger.
  • Options

Just to reiterate what everyone else has said (bad experience of eye diseases in my family too): all the best nigel. And take care of yourself - going to the doc is like going to the bog, when you've got to go, you've got to go, or things get messy :-)

Thanks, I will.
  • Options

In answer to DavidL's question of how good a predictor the CLP nominations were last time for the whole field, the answer is: not bad

Diane Abbott — 20
    Ed Balls — 17
    Andy Burnham — 44
    David Miliband — 164
    Ed Miliband — 151

Note however that Balls ended up doing a lot better, and Burnham rather worse, amongst members than that would indicate.

Thanks for that. Better than I expected tbh.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

DavidL said:

1. Liz is toast

Your analysis would seem to indicate that she is applying for the wrong job in the wrong party on the wrong planet.
  • Options
    edited July 2015

antifrank said:

Agreed.

Gravitas is overrated, Brown had more gravitas than Blair, Howard and Davis than Cameron, charisma and likeability is more important in party leaders
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

Roger Federer is 33 !

Well, all the best and touch wood it all went OK
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

Roger Federer is 33 !

All depends on the context, Faldo's defeat of Norman at the 1996 Masters was very dramatic, as was the 2005 Ashes series
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

Roger Federer is 33 !

The first time I met him was in the men's room at the clubhouse!

If Tiger can put four good rounds together at the right time (and the Greenbrier doesn't count because it's an easy course with lots of rain), he might well win another major.

I don't think he has a cat in hell's chance of winning four.

The door is closing for Tiger.
    Well even champions have to go to the bathroom I suppose! I agree he may win one or 2 more Majors but his best days are well behind him
  • Options

AMWNBPM
    Though Andy has won Wimbledon and the US Open, Ed has yet to win a general election!
  • Options
    Watching BBC World News with Laura Trevelyan. She is standing near a desk, holding the ubiquitous BBC sheaf of papers. The camera pulls back, and there is a microphone lead coming out of the bottom of her dress and trailing along the floor. Really? Haven't they heard of cordless? Laura is married to the head of ABC News, so she could probably chip in a bit.

Why do they have these people standing and wandering around in front of huge flat screens and holding papers they never look at?

Why can't they just sit behind a desk like anyone else? It just looks odd.
  • Options

Diane Abbott — 20
    Ed Balls — 17
    Andy Burnham — 44
    David Miliband — 164
    Ed Miliband — 151

At the moment based on CLP nominations it looks like Burnham will win, Kendall will come last and it is between Corbyn and Cooper for second
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

AMWNBPM
    Though Andy has won Wimbledon and the US Open, Ed has yet to win a general election!
    That's because tennis is a racket :)

"Arise, Sir Andy - please accept this tennis racket for your services."
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Tim_B said:

Watching BBC World News with Laura Trevelyan. She is standing near a desk, holding the ubiquitous BBC sheaf of papers. The camera pulls back, and there is a microphone lead coming out of the bottom of her dress and trailing along the floor. Really? Haven't they heard of cordless? Laura is married to the head of ABC News, so she could probably chip in a bit.

Why do they have these people standing and wandering around in front of huge flat screens and holding papers they never look at?

On the other hand, why do you still have to sign for credit card bills in the US? Businesses don't want to pay for the wireless keypad machines, I assume.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

Roger Federer is 33 !

Get well soon!
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

AMWNBPM
    That's because tennis is a racket :)

"Arise, Sir Andy - please accept this tennis racket for your services."

Indeed
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,661

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

Roger Federer is 33 !

Hope the treatment is successful. 60 is no age, you shouldn't be falling apart, save that for your 80s.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    Just back from a CLP nomination meeting for 2 joint Labour CLPs,one went for Corbyn,one for Cooper.Biggest attendance at a Labour party meeting I have seen for some time.Interestingly,not one speaker from the floor supported Kendall.The most influential contribution came from Cooper supporters who made the point convincingly she was the only one they could see "on the world stage".Tom Watson won both nominations for deputy,though run close by Stella Creasy fans who seemed to have most of the support of an encouraging number of young people present.
    Jeremy Corbyn's "you can't cut your way to prosperity" continues to gain traction.

• Options
    AndyJS said:

Tim_B said:

On the other hand, why do you still have to sign for credit card bills in the US? Businesses don't want to pay for the wireless keypad machines, I assume.
    That's a great non-sequitur!

Because chip and pin cards are only just coming into use, incredible though that sounds.

Until recently credit card fraud was much lower here than elsewhere. With the increasing sophistication of fraudsters that changed about 3 years ago. Now the card business is going chip and pin.

October is I believe when they will have to be used.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

Roger Federer is 33 !

Hope the treatment is successful. 60 is no age, you shouldn't be falling apart, save that for your 80s.
    Ha! Falling apart at 57 - knees mainly, ankles and back too.
  • Options

Just back from a CLP nomination meeting for 2 joint Labour CLPs,one went for Corbyn,one for Cooper.Biggest attendance at a Labour party meeting I have seen for some time.Interestingly,not one speaker from the floor supported Kendall.The most influential contribution came from Cooper supporters who made the point convincingly she was the only one they could see "on the world stage".Tom Watson won both nominations for deputy,though run close by Stella Creasy fans who seemed to have most of the support of an encouraging number of young people present.
    Jeremy Corbyn's "you can't cut your way to prosperity" continues to gain traction.

Given George W Bush and Silvio Berlusconi and Jacob Zuma have all managed to 'get on the world stage' I would not rule anyone out on that criteria!
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    CLPs nominations

My running total...maybe mistakes, hopefully not

Andy 43
    Jeremy 34
    Yvette 27
    Liz 5

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14fJtyTh2RTSJdobOwYcU8-GQhFIsc1TYy86y369QdXc/edit#gid=0
  • Options
    MTimT said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

Roger Federer is 33 !

Ha! Falling apart at 57 - knees mainly, ankles and back too.
    You can always claim that they are old rugby injuries. :)
  • Options
    edited July 2015

CLPs nominations

Andy 43
    Jeremy 34
    Yvette 27
    Liz 5

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14fJtyTh2RTSJdobOwYcU8-GQhFIsc1TYy86y369QdXc/edit#gid=0

Thanks very much for keeping us updated on the latest information.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Interesting. Did Cooper's denial of dirty tricks concerning Kendall do any good?

I think Corbyn would be better than Cooper. He will bring in annual elections for leader, and I think Labour have to get neo-Syrizia out of their system before they can be a sensible party again.

Corbyn will also do the LDs a lot of good, just as Foot did the Liberals and SDP in the early eighties.
  • Options
    David Gower, Ian Botham, Nasser Hussain and Bob Willis may have been brilliant cricketers but I find their commentary less than scintillating to listen to, so I tend to stick to TMS and watch the highlights on Five.

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

Roger Federer is 33 !

I've watched every ball of this Test, though I will miss some of tomorrow's play.

Test cricket is the best sport in the world.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,456

DavidL said:

1. Liz is toast

We should take seriously the idea that Jeremy could win. I can't see any reason why the CLP nominations shouldn't be reasonably representative of the voluntary party, and the big union endorsements could make the difference for him as they did for Miliband.

I do wonder if he'll pick up some unexpected 'gesture' second places, where voters don't expect him to even be in the contest should that vote be redistributed so they feel it safe to make the point.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited July 2015
    I have held off taking part in the Labour leader elections precisely because I didn't think Corbyn had a snowball-in-hell's chance of victory. As things go on, his outside shot looks more and more ... well, not exactly credible, but certainly plausible. That might sway me enough to get me to (a) vote, (b) for Corbyn. I wonder how many other people are in a similar position.

Corbyn's momentum is to some extent self-fulfilling.
  • Options

I have held off taking part in the Labour leader elections precisely because I didn't think Corbyn had a snowball-in-hell's chance of victory. As things go on, his outside shot looks more and more ... well, not exactly credible, but certainly plausible. That might sway me enough to get me to (a) vote, (b) for Corbyn. I wonder how many other people are in a similar position.

Corbyn's momentum is to some extent self-fulfilling.

Do you think Corbyn could win a general election for Labour (serious question)?
  • Options
    I have just watched the Top Gear Patagonia special. I have all the dvds including series 21, but it's not on them that I can find. It's copyrighted 2014. Is it part of series 22, the last episode of which airs here on Monday?
  • Options

So what is his remedy?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Tim_B said:

I have just watched the Top Gear Patagonia special. I have all the dvds including series 21, but it's not on them that I can find. It's copyrighted 2014. Is it part of series 22, the last episode of which airs here on Monday?

No, it's a Christmas special, not officially part of any regular series
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Tim_B said:

So what is his remedy?

Borrow your way out of debt. Spend your way to higher savings.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    edited July 2015
    Tim_B said:

It's formally listed as (total) episodes 167/168 in Series 22
  • Options
    The Corbyn momentum reminds me a little of Fox's momentum in 2005 when it was thought he could get into the final 2, in the end he was third and beat Clarke but it ended up Davis v Cameron.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Scott_P said:

Tim_B said:

So what is his remedy?

Borrow your way out of debt. Spend your way to higher savings.
    Tax your way to prosperity? Ben M lives! The magic money tree lives!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Tim_B said:

No, it's a Christmas special, not officially part of any regular series
    The Christmas specials typically make their way into the dvd sets.

The only 'specials' that haven't so far are Winter Olympics, 50 years of bond cars, armageddon (thank heaven), at the movies (truly awful), and worst car in the world. But they were all less than 3 pounds on amazon uk, so no biggie.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Tim_B said:

It's formally listed as (total) episodes 167/168 in Series 22
    It should emerge in the next couple of months then, whenever series 22 comes out on dvd.

BBC America is touting Monday's episode as 'the one you never thought you'd see.'
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380

CLPs nominations

Andy 43
    Jeremy 34
    Yvette 27
    Liz 5

Any data on Deputy nominations?
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

CLPs nominations

Andy 43
    Jeremy 34
    Yvette 27
    Liz 5

Any data on Deputy nominations?
    I think you will find it on the same link!
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,562
    edited July 2015
    "Helen Hayes has an unusual background for an MP as an architect and town planner"

Oxford PPE maybe slightly more usual, though :). Also the years on Southwark Council.

"and she seems to be very much her own woman"

I actually knew Helen slightly years ago, and I can confirm that's certainly true!