Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tsipras’ own goal is Cameron’s gain

SystemSystem Posts: 11,725
edited July 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tsipras’ own goal is Cameron’s gain

If there were any doubt that David Cameron is a lucky politician, events in Europe this last week have again made the point. No sooner had he suffered a setback at the European Council, failing to win a chance of treaty reform, than the Greek government gives him (inadvertently, no doubt), a huge helping hand.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,622
    Looks like it's London turn to get hit by thunderstorms.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited July 2015
    Good article from David H, as ever.

I'm not sure, though, that a No would be a 'more drawn out and bloody affair' than a Yes. A No would mean that Greece becomes completely dysfunctional within a couple of days (it is already close, but people can survive for a few days). In such a scenario something has to give, and quickly. It would certainly be bloody, perhaps even literally so, but I suspect not very drawn out.

A Yes on the other hand would mean that the ECB keeps the life-support ticking over, pending the establishment of a new government by some means or another. Getting a sane government in place could take some time, and perhaps involve new elections. Even then, the negotiations would inevitably drag on: the previous deal has already been overtaken by events, and may not even be doable any more.
  • Options
    "Unless I miss my guess, we're in for one wild night."
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669

Looks like it's London turn to get hit by thunderstorms.

Ours too - for the last 3 nights.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,228
    Of course it was originally those on the centre right who were most in favour of the EU, Heath took us in and Thatcher was strongly pro on the basis of breaking down trade barriers. Leftwingers like Foot and Benn were opposed. However the issue is sovereignty, eurosceptics like Hannan are supportive of Syriza not because they agree with their anti austerity agenda but because they do not believe it should be imposed on them by Brussels
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    FPT: I think people generally are underrating Greeks. *We've* had huge riots over the poll tax, over student fees, and over, um, access to shops for free stuff. They've had (a) a military dictatorship (b) a series of incredibly incompetent governments (c) an economic meltdown and (d) glaring hostility from much of Europe. One could understand a little rioting.

Instead, they have huge rival rallies in Athens within half a mile of each other, they cheer, and then they go home and prepare to vote. I think it's pretty damned impressive.

I'm not sure there are many implications for Britain at the moment, though. Syriza doesn't really have a recognisable counterpart in Britain, and people are filing it in the "Complex difficulties in foreign country" category. But David is correct that the pro-austerity view is winning by default here, since most of the Government's opponents are frankly ambiguous about it.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,170
    edited July 2015
    HYUFD said:

Of course it was originally those on the centre right who were most in favour of the EU, Heath took us in and Thatcher was strongly pro on the basis of breaking down trade barriers. Leftwingers like Foot and Benn were opposed. However the issue is sovereignty, eurosceptics like Hannan are supportive of Syriza not because they agree with their anti austerity agenda but because they do not believe it should be imposed on them by Brussels

Eurosceptics like Hannan think that Euro membership is imposed on Syriza without their consent and have urged a "no" vote so Greece can leave the Euro. This is difficult to reconcile with Tsipras's repeated insistence that a "no" vote does not mean Greece leaving the Euro, nor can it be reconciled with Varoufakis's threat to go to court to prevent Greece being evicted from the Euro

The meme that Syriza really want to leave the Euro really and are executing a cunning plan to make Greece leave by stealth, has taken hold over the past week as British Eurosceptics struggle to interpret Syriza's actions. AEP is certainly guilty of this interpretation.

For all I know, that interpretation might be true: Tsipras is crazy enough to do it. But, like the LD's nonexistent "incumbent advantage", that interpretation is a plausible hypothesis with no actual evidence to back it up. I think Syriza's motives and aims are what they say they are: they want to stay in the Euro and will not leave voluntarily.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651

The austerity programme, forced on many members in part via the Euro, has meant a rolling back of the social agenda. Put simply, it’s shifting the EU to the right. And that’s the positive case for Cameron to put to the sceptics in his own party.
    Hm. Colour me sceptical, but I think this is less of an institutional rightwards shift and more a direct consequence of the ongoing centralisation (rather than coordination) of economic policy within the eurozone. When Tsipras bemoans policies being "imposed" on Greece, he is quite correct - but a more honest consideration would acknowledge that this follows naturally from Greece having long ago signed up to an economic integration agenda, with subsequent loss of democratic control over its own destiny. The harshness of the imposed policies is largely the political and economic come-down for over a decade of poor governance, by governments of various stripes, including his own.

Judging from what the Five Presidents are proposing*, the Greek situation is even more fuel for deeper fiscal integration. A system of larger scale fiscal transfers would curtail the imposition of such apparently sadistic austerity on eurostragglers in future, and would (based on the US experience at least) seem a sensible direction of travel if currency union is to work in the long term. But I can't see how Cameron's ability to sell the EU to his party is going to be enhanced by serious work on a common European treasury, for instance; even if it is restricted to the Eurozone, it marginalises those "semi-detached" countries which do not participate in it.

* As an aside, for those who see the EU as a bureaucratic nightmare, just how much ammunition is there in the fact it takes five presidents to decide on such announcements, and not one of them elected to do so?

• Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    The Greek situation should embolden Cameron in his talks. One, the collapse of Greece makes the EU look like a disaster zone and the further effect of losing the UK could fatally collapse the bloc's credibility. Two, can anyone deny at this point that the final offer from the EU was substantially better than if Greece had tried a consensual approach. As with Maggie's rebate, playing softly wins you little in international negotiations.
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656

FPT: I think people generally are underrating Greeks. *We've* had huge riots over the poll tax, over student fees, and over, um, access to shops for free stuff. They've had (a) a military dictatorship (b) a series of incredibly incompetent governments (c) an economic meltdown and (d) glaring hostility from much of Europe. One could understand a little rioting.

Instead, they have huge rival rallies in Athens within half a mile of each other, they cheer, and then they go home and prepare to vote. I think it's pretty damned impressive.

I'm not sure there are many implications for Britain at the moment, though. Syriza doesn't really have a recognisable counterpart in Britain, and people are filing it in the "Complex difficulties in foreign country" category. But David is correct that the pro-austerity view is winning by default here, since most of the Government's opponents are frankly ambiguous about it.

It makes you despair over the character of our urban youth, doesn't it? Schools and parents need to do a much better job of teaching morality.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

Eurosceptics like Hannan think that Euro membership is imposed on Syriza without their consent and have urged a "no" vote so Greece can leave the Euro. This is difficult to reconcile with Tsipras's repeated insistence that a "no" vote does not mean Greece leaving the Euro, nor can it be reconciled with Varoufakis's threat to go to court to prevent Greece being evicted from the Euro

The meme that Syriza really want to leave the Euro really and are executing a cunning plan to make Greece leave by stealth, has taken hold over the past week as British Eurosceptics struggle to interpret Syriza's actions. AEP is certainly guilty of this interpretation.

For all I know, that interpretation might be true: Tsipras is crazy enough to do it. But, like the LD's nonexistent "incumbent advantage", that interpretation is a plausible hypothesis with no actual evidence to back it up. I think Syriza's motives and aims are what they say they are: they want to stay in the Euro and will not leave voluntarily.
    Tsipras may want to keep Greece in the Eurozone, he may not but if it is a No Germany will ensure Greece is kicked out
  • Options
    JEO said:

The Greek situation should embolden Cameron in his talks. One, the collapse of Greece makes the EU look like a disaster zone and the further effect of losing the UK could fatally collapse the bloc's credibility. Two, can anyone deny at this point that the final offer from the EU was substantially better than if Greece had tried a consensual approach. As with Maggie's rebate, playing softly wins you little in international negotiations.

JEO said:

JEO said:

Maybe, could also lead to a 2 speed Europe, Eurozone and non-Eurozone though whether that is enough to satisfy sceptics is another matter

• Options
    Chris123Chris123 Posts: 174
    I'm also on "no" for various reasons. Metron Analysis who have conducted the most extensive polls found that the "yes" vote had momentum up to Thursday but from then on the trend seems to be halted, if not reversed. The outcome will most certainly depend on turnout with pensioners most inclined to vote "yes" and other social groups voting overwhelmingly "no" - one poll has 87% of students voting "no."

This assertion is not correct: "Furthermore, at the last election, the main parties actively, if independently, advocating No polled 52.8% between them (you can’t call as disparate a group as the communist KKE, the radical leftist Syriza, the populist-nationalist ANEL and the neo-Nazi Golden Dawn a ‘coalition’ or ‘alliance’). By contrast, those advocating Yes, the conservative New Democracy, centrist Potami and social democrats Pasok only polled 38.5%. (The rest of the 2015 vote went to parties who failed to make it to parliament)."

The communist KKE is actively campaigning for people to spoil their ballots. They're portraying it as a choice between austerity by Tsipras and more austerity by the creditors. You can check for yourself here:

http://inter.kke.gr/

It is true that polls are showing that their supporters will largely back "no" but that isn't the party's official position. At the end of the day, the KKE isn't that relevant (anymore) but in a tight election, any vote may make a difference so let's get the facts straight.
  • Options
    JEO said:

can anyone deny at this point that the final offer from the EU was substantially better than if Greece had tried a consensual approach.

Yes. Everybody can deny it. Syriza's futzing around has lost it every ally it had in the Eurozone. Greece does not currently have an extant offer from anybody - the offer they are voting on expired last week. It couldn't have done worse if it'd gone into the conference chamber with anthrax whilst fellating the exhumed corpse of Merkel's father.
    JEO said:

As with Maggie's rebate, playing softly wins you little in international negotiations.

Don't confuse Syriza's crass stupidity with Thatcher's negotiating stance. Thatcher negotiated procedurally: laid down her red lines early, stuck with them, kept saying no, and was willing to walk away if she didn't get what she wanted. Syriza is negotiating nonprocedurally and incoherently: its offers are not internally consistent, it agrees and then disagrees, it introduces emotion into an unemotional process.

As Syriza has amply shown, acting like a **** isn't a way to guarantee a win: it's a way to guarantee a loss.

• Options
    Chris 123 Either way it looks very tight, goodnight
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

Tsipras may want to keep Greece in the Eurozone, he may not but if it is a No Germany will ensure Greece is kicked out
    I hope that you are correct, I fear that you are wrong.

• Options
    viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

I hope that you are correct, I fear that you are wrong.

The mood of the German electorate means Merkel has no other choice
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    JohnLoony said:
    That's cool!

Also this: will it rain today?

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Merkel has hardly covered herself in glory during this affair. She is capable of being indecisive indefinitely.

• Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @HYUFD

'Tsipras may want to keep Greece in the Eurozone, he may not but if it is a No Germany will ensure Greece is kicked out'

Unfortunately, it's not Germany's decision.
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@HYUFD

'Tsipras may want to keep Greece in the Eurozone, he may not but if it is a No Germany will ensure Greece is kicked out'

Unfortunately, it's not Germany's decision.

In effect it is as Germany pays the bills
  • Options
    viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

Merkel has hardly covered herself in glory during this affair. She is capable of being indecisive indefinitely.

If Greece votes No she can say the decision was taken for her
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Need to correct myself there. Most social/ demographic groups are inclined to no although not overwhelmingly so. This is an interesting breakdown by Avgi:

71 No
    20 Yes
    25-34
    59 No
    26 Yes
    35-44
    34 No
    53 Yes
    45-54
    48 No
    36 Yes
    55-64
    44 No
    47 Yes
    65 and over
    26 No
    56 Yes

Job:
    Private sector
    54 No
    34 Yes
    Public sector
    58 No
    31 Yes
    Unemployed
    51 No
    26 Yes
    Students
    83 No
    13 Yes
    Self-employed
    39 No
    50 Yes
    Pensioners
    31 No
    55 Yes
    Housewives
    42 No
    42 Yes

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/11715198/greece-crisis-live-no-yes-referendum-polls.html

HYUFD, it will be tight. Goodnight!
  • Options
    Chris123 said:

Need to correct myself there. Most social/ demographic groups are inclined to no although not overwhelmingly so. This is an interesting breakdown by Avgi:

71 No
    20 Yes
    25-34
    59 No
    26 Yes
    35-44
    34 No
    53 Yes
    45-54
    48 No
    36 Yes
    55-64
    44 No
    47 Yes
    65 and over
    26 No
    56 Yes

Job:
    Private sector
    54 No
    34 Yes
    Public sector
    58 No
    31 Yes
    Unemployed
    51 No
    26 Yes
    Students
    83 No
    13 Yes
    Self-employed
    39 No
    50 Yes
    Pensioners
    31 No
    55 Yes
    Housewives
    42 No
    42 Yes

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/11715198/greece-crisis-live-no-yes-referendum-polls.html

HYUFD, it will be tight. Goodnight!

Indeed, could be a long evening. Thanks for the figures, night!
  • Options
    @HYUFD

'In effect it is as Germany pays the bills'

Nope,Germany has lent 70 billion & France 50 billion & Holande has been making supportive noises all week,solidarity and all that good stuff.
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@HYUFD

'In effect it is as Germany pays the bills'

Nope,Germany has lent 70 billion & France 50 billion & Holande has been making supportive noises all week,solidarity and all that good stuff.

So Germany still pays more than France and Ministers from the Netherlands, Finland etc have all backed the German position
  • Options
    @HYUFD

I hope you are right but the entire project is built on an escalator you can't get off.
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@HYUFD

I hope you are right but the entire project is built on an escalator you can't get off.

If the Eurozone cave in to Syriza they have to cave in to Podemos, FN, Wilders etc and it has a domino effect which is why they will not anymore after Sunday if a No, goodnight
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Here is the poll by the pollster that conducted the most comprehensive set of polls. You can run it through Google Translate:

http://www.parapolitika.gr/article/305897/46-nai-47-ohi-deihnei-i-ereyna-tis-metron-analysis-86-yper-tis-paramonis-tis-horas

This is the key takeaway:

"With the data we had in our hands until yesterday we could say that the trend is decidedly in favor of the Yes. But now the trend is halted and reversed rather..."

Here is this evening's speech by Alexis Tsipras (translated into English):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aidRyCAbAao&feature=youtu.be

Notice the hug for his partner, Pannos Kamennos, from the national-conservative, populist ANEL party ("Independent Greeks")... Amazing how those two got in bed in the first place - in the UK it would be as if a party to the left of Labor entered into a coalition with UKIP.

At the end of the day, what will decide the outcome of this referendum is whether voters take it to be a vote on the Euro or on austerity.

The two main parties in favor of "YES" - PASOK and New Democracy - are part of the same corrupt and sycophantic clique that bankrupted Greece in the first place. It remains to be seen whether the electorate who voted them out of office will now follow their admonitions voiced in the Greek mainstream media beholden to a small group of oligarchs...
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    viewcode said:

JEO said:

can anyone deny at this point that the final offer from the EU was substantially better than if Greece had tried a consensual approach.

Yes. Everybody can deny it. Syriza's futzing around has lost it every ally it had in the Eurozone. Greece does not currently have an extant offer from anybody - the offer they are voting on expired last week. It couldn't have done worse if it'd gone into the conference chamber with anthrax whilst fellating the exhumed corpse of Merkel's father.
    JEO said:

As with Maggie's rebate, playing softly wins you little in international negotiations.

Don't confuse Syriza's crass stupidity with Thatcher's negotiating stance. Thatcher negotiated procedurally: laid down her red lines early, stuck with them, kept saying no, and was willing to walk away if she didn't get what she wanted. Syriza is negotiating nonprocedurally and incoherently: its offers are not internally consistent, it agrees and then disagrees, it introduces emotion into an unemotional process.

As Syriza has amply shown, acting like a **** isn't a way to guarantee a win: it's a way to guarantee a loss.

I agree Syrizia has been completely incompetent, to a level unknown in Europe in recent times. It has no solution to the problem other than begging for more money while biting the hand that feeds it.

Either way there will be a summer of chaos in Greece. No means the banks cannot reopen, and there seems no sign of a new Drachma being prepared. Yes means a new set of elections with an unknown government.

• Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    I can't see how the Greece situation can be seen as anything other than a disaster for the EU in terms of credibility and reputation, and I would expect it to benefit anti-EU parties across the continent, who were already making a strong showing before the debacle hit the news stands.

For a lot of people Greece will be giving the impression of a plucky underdog being picked on by the larger countries who are also borrowing vast amounts of money but without the imposed pain. The actions of the EU have the stench of high handedness and a disregard for democracy.

Yes, SYRIZA might be a little crazy for some peoples tastes, I certainly wouldn't vote for them, but they were elected by the Greek people, on pretty much the same percentage as the Conservative government was elected in the UK, they have democratic legitimacy by any measure. They were also elected on a platform of attempting to have their cake and eat it, this was explicitly the will of the Greek electorate, we can hardly blame a political party for representing the views of their electoral and acting in accordance with their electoral mandate.

When SYRIZA they have proved unable to deliver the mandate on which they were elected they propose to go back to their electorate and ask for a new mandate (the referendum) and this is decried by the EU powers, and prominent members of this forum as ridiculous, are we so europhile that we are prepared to overlook democracy if its starts to look inconvenient.

We blame the EU for having scant respect for democracy, we talk repeatedly about the multiple referendums held in Ireland and Holland at the behest of the EU, and yet when we have a democratically elected government, following explicitly the platform for which they were elected, we call them insane, for shame!

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,027
    Sleazy, broken Tories on the slide? Only a 12% lead now!

https://orderorder.files.wordpress.com/2015/07/image003.png
  • Options
    Indigo said:

I can't see how the Greece situation can be seen as anything other than a disaster for the EU in terms of credibility and reputation, and I would expect it to benefit anti-EU parties across the continent, who were already making a strong showing before the debacle hit the news stands.

For a lot of people Greece will be giving the impression of a plucky underdog being picked on by the larger countries who are also borrowing vast amounts of money but without the imposed pain. The actions of the EU have the stench of high handedness and a disregard for democracy.

Yes, SYRIZA might be a little crazy for some peoples tastes, I certainly wouldn't vote for them, but they were elected by the Greek people, on pretty much the same percentage as the Conservative government was elected in the UK, they have democratic legitimacy by any measure. They were also elected on a platform of attempting to have their cake and eat it, this was explicitly the will of the Greek electorate, we can hardly blame a political party for representing the views of their electoral and acting in accordance with their electoral mandate.

When SYRIZA they have proved unable to deliver the mandate on which they were elected they propose to go back to their electorate and ask for a new mandate (the referendum) and this is decried by the EU powers, and prominent members of this forum as ridiculous, are we so europhile that we are prepared to overlook democracy if its starts to look inconvenient.

We blame the EU for having scant respect for democracy, we talk repeatedly about the multiple referendums held in Ireland and Holland at the behest of the EU, and yet when we have a democratically elected government, following explicitly the platform for which they were elected, we call them insane, for shame!

Not quite! Democracy is working in the EU. Syrizia is following contradictory policies and crashing its own economy.

Europe is evolving, and outside Greece there is remarkable unity and a consensual approach.
  • Options
    edited July 2015

Not quite! Democracy is working in the EU. Syrizia is following contradictory policies and crashing its own economy.

Europe is evolving, and outside Greece there is remarkable unity and a consensual approach.

You appear to be saying the democratic will of the Greek people doesn't matter. Only a committed europhile would have the effrontery to use democracy and the EU in the same sentence, one of the factors that defines the EU, and was part of its original purpose, is it's democratic deficit.

No, its bullying, pure and simple.

Let us not pretend for a millisecond that is it was PODEMAS and Spain we were talking about, and not SYRIZA and Greece, the EU would be bending over backwards to let them have their cake and eat it. The ONLY reason the EU is taking such a tough line with Greece is because it feels safe it can contain a Greek default. A Spanish default would engulf the continent in a banking crisis that would destroy the Euro, so Spain would get what it wanted. Taking actions based on your opponents size rather than the strength of their argument is called bullying.

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,856
    RobD said:

Has Cameron resigned yet?

All this talk of Greece & the EU' ignores the other party in this - the IMF - who have Venezuela on their mind - a much bigger and nastier problem than Greece - pour encourager les autres......
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,221

Indigo said:

Amongst the politicians, not amongst large swathes of the populations.

And the 'consensual approach' could be seen as the smaller countries consenting to what Germany (and to a lesser extent France) want.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited July 2015

RobD said:

All this talk of Greece & the EU' ignores the other party in this - the IMF - who have Venezuela on their mind - a much bigger and nastier problem than Greece - pour encourager les autres......
    I think those numbers would put Labour at less than 200 seats and Dave at over 350.
  • Options

RobD said:

The IMF shouldn't have come anywhere near Greece. Leaving to one side that the IMF exists to bail out countries, not currencies or banks, and putting to side the fact that lending to a bankrupt economy is explicitly against the IMF rules. Lots of poorer countries that are members of the IMF (notably Slovenia) are aghast that they are having to bail out members of a rich and prosperous currency block that should be looking after its own members.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    Indigo said:

Garbage. The democratic legitimacy writ of Syriza applies within Greece - it does not extend to them dictating to the rest of Europe. The lesson for them and other anti-austerity parties is simple. austerity is not about how you vote - it is about how you manage your economy. No-one is in favour of austerity as a measure or idea. It is a consequence of bad actions. Try re-reading David Copperfield - Micawber got it in the end and so must Greece.
  • Options
    felix said:

Garbage. The democratic legitimacy writ of Syriza applies within Greece - it does not extend to them dictating to the rest of Europe. The lesson for them and other anti-austerity parties is simple. austerity is not about how you vote - it is about how you manage your economy. No-one is in favour of austerity as a measure or idea. It is a consequence of bad actions. Try re-reading David Copperfield - Micawber got it in the end and so must Greece.

Now pull your head out of your a*s and read what I said.

The Greece population have a democratic right to elect any government they want, to adopt any attitude they want on their behalf with external bodies. That does not mean they will get it. Although the only reason they wont get it is because they are small, if this argument was happening with PODEMAS and Spain they would have got what they wanted in milliseconds because the ECB knows Spain defaulting would bring the currency down and strongly suspecting Greece defaulting wont.

I am simply arguing that the Greek government is not "insane" or "crazy", but properly representing the views of their electorate as expressed through the ballot box, those view may not be realistic, but it is for the electorate to learn that and elect someone different next time if they so wish. In a similar way if the Greek government is unable to attain for the electoral what they asked for it is perfectly proper to go and ask them what they want instead.

This suggestion that the electoral is being badly served by their government is horseshit, the government is behaving exactly in accordance with the mandate they were given.
  • Options
    felix said:

Indigo said:

Exactly. If Syrizia have a mandate to oppose austerity and to crash their economy then they should be allowed to do so. They do not have a mandate to sponge off the rest of europe, who have constructed a very reasonable package in the circumstances.

There is no democratic mandate across the EU to indulge Greece. Indeed Even the anti-austerity parties in other countries are not attempting to send money that way.

And the poorer countries that contribute to the IMF are entitled to their money back. Syrizia have made their bed and must lie in it.

I would be more sympathetic to the Greek government (I am very fond of the Greek people) if they needed assistance to transition to a more sustainable economy. At the moment giving Greece more money is like giving an alcoholic another bottle of whisky.

• Options
    Indigo said:

felix said:

The Greece population have a democratic right to elect any government they want, to adopt any attitude they want on their behalf with external bodies. That does not mean they will get it. Although the only reason they wont get it is because they are small, if this argument was happening with PODEMAS and Spain they would have got what they wanted in milliseconds because the ECB knows Spain defaulting would bring the currency down and strongly suspecting Greece defaulting wont.

I am simply arguing that the Greek government is not "insane" or "crazy", but properly representing the views of their electorate as expressed through the ballot box, those view may not be realistic, but it is for the electorate to learn that and elect someone different next time if they so wish. In a similar way if the Greek government is unable to attain for the electoral what they asked for it is perfectly proper to go and ask them what they want instead.

This suggestion that the electoral is being badly served by their government is horseshit, the government is behaving exactly in accordance with the mandate they were given.
    They are asking for the democratic writ to run beyond their border. In doing so they are badly serving their people and seriously misleading them. I think your assumptions about a Podemos led Spain are equally erroneous. As it happens the chances of a Podemos win this year are lower and will tumble further so long as the EU holds its ground. However, to pretend that Spain would be bailed out in similar circumstances to Greece is unlikely - for one thing Europe couldn't afford it. Nor should they. Incidentally your preoccupation with a***s and s**t is very revealing.
  • Options
    edited July 2015

I would be more sympathetic to the Greek government (I am very fond of the Greek people) if they needed assistance to transition to a more sustainable economy. At the moment giving Greece more money is like giving an alcoholic another bottle of whisky.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Greece should have been given more money five years ago, it should have defaulted and left the Euro. The money from the EU is not benefiting the Greeks in the slightest, its going to benefit banks that made poor commercial decisions in lending to the Greeks and should pay the full commercial penalty for their poor judgement.

If the Euro cannot survive a few banks going bust for making poor decisions that says much more about the viability of the euro as a currency than it does about anything else. All that has happened is that Greece has increased its debt pile, and devastated its standard of living to support some businesses that rightly should have gone to the wall for the poor decisions they took.

I am a small businessman, I have been for 30 years, if I make a bad decision my business goes to the wall, but it seems if you are a big business your bad decisions are backstopped by the government, and yet you get to keep all the profits of your good (or lucky) decisions.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    edited July 2015
    Indigo said:

RobD said:

The IMF shouldn't have come anywhere near Greece. Leaving to one side that the IMF exists to bail out countries, not currencies or banks, and putting to side the fact that lending to a bankrupt economy is explicitly against the IMF rules. Lots of poorer countries that are members of the IMF (notably Slovenia) are aghast that they are having to bail out members of a rich and prosperous currency block that should be looking after its own members.
    Wasn't DSK in charge of the IMF at the time of the initial bail out? There must be plenty of German and French banks thankful for the attention to their plight.
  • Options
    watford30 said:

Indigo said:

RobD said:

Wasn't DSK in charge of the IMF at the time of the initial bail out? There must be plenty of German and French banks thankful for the attention to their plight.
    He certainly was.
  • Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294
    Indigo said:

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Greece should have been given more money five years ago, it should have defaulted and left the Euro. The money from the EU is not benefiting the Greeks in the slightest, its going to benefit banks that made poor commercial decisions in lending to the Greeks and should pay the full commercial penalty for their poor judgement.

If the Euro cannot survive a few banks going bust for making poor decisions that says much more about the viability of the euro as a currency than it does about anything else. All that has happened is that Greece has increased its debt pile, and devastated its standard of living to support some businesses that rightly should have gone to the wall for the poor decisions they took.

I am a small businessman, I have been for 30 years, if I make a bad decision my business goes to the wall, but it seems if you are a big business your bad decisions are backstopped by the government, and yet you get to keep all the profits of your good (or lucky) decisions.
    Congratulations on discovering how capitalism works. Eventually.

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I'm not sure that the Eurocrat reaction to a big fat Greek divorce is predictable. It might inspire a huddling together for safety. It might make them feel blooded in the act of standing firm. It might make them more receptive to a less rigid EU. Or it might make them decide that what they stand for now is the tariff for continued membership of the EU.

We have heard a lot about the emotional style of the Greek government. More about the emotional responses of Eurocrats would be more helpful.
  • Options
    edited July 2015

Indigo said:

Its not Capitalism. Its Corporatism, or at best "Crony Capitalism". Does this sound familiar ?
    Crony capitalism is a term describing an economy in which success in business depends on close relationships between business people and government officials. It may be exhibited by favoritism in the distribution of legal permits, government grants, special tax breaks, or other forms of state interventionism.
    I think you could fairly define German behaviour as Mercantilism
    Mercantilism is an economic theory and practice, that promotes governmental regulation of a nation's economy for the purpose of augmenting state power at the expense of rival national powers.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    David, why do you presume that Syriza will lose the election that will follow a "yes" vote? I presume the opposite (unless it's a landslide). The Greeks want both the Euro and Syriza.

But the Euro isn't the Euro, really. It's a form of German imperialism, an E-mark, less bloody than Panzers and stormtroopers, no doubt, but designed to achieve the same outcome. So let me ask you, David (and others of your kidney): which would you prefer to govern Greece - a democratically elected Syriza or a dictatorship (colonels, perhaps) that followed economic policies you like the look of?
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Indigo said:

Its not Capitalism. Its Corporatism, or at best "Crony Capitalism". Does this sound familiar ?
    Crony capitalism is a term describing an economy in which success in business depends on close relationships between business people and government officials. It may be exhibited by favoritism in the distribution of legal permits, government grants, special tax breaks, or other forms of state interventionism.
    Mercantilism is an economic theory and practice, that promotes governmental regulation of a nation's economy for the purpose of augmenting state power at the expense of rival national powers.
    I think you'll find a fair bit of 'crony capitalism' in Greece.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Indigo said:

The capitalism you aspire to is a fantasy. It's never worked like that and never will (at least not until humanity is replaced by robots.)

• Options

David, why do you presume that Syriza will lose the election that will follow a "yes" vote? I presume the opposite (unless it's a landslide). The Greeks want both the Euro and Syriza.

But the Euro isn't the Euro, really. It's a form of German imperialism, an E-mark, less bloody than Panzers and stormtroopers, no doubt, but designed to achieve the same outcome. So let me ask you, David (and others of your kidney): which would you prefer to govern Greece - a democratically elected Syriza or a dictatorship (colonels, perhaps) that followed economic policies you like the look of?

False choices based on false premises do not an argument make.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    felix said:

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

I'm guessing Capitalism expects everyone to pay their taxes too? Unlike many Greeks.

Still, it's fun watching Syriza in action - promoting the kind of crazy economics and financial crackpottery that Milliband was twitching to impose upon the UK. We dodged a serious bullet there.
  • Options
    felix said:

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

Absolutely you will, I never said otherwise... and your point is ?
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    watford30 said:

I'm guessing Capitalism expects everyone to pay their taxes too? Unlike many Greeks.

Still, it's fun watching Syriza in action - promoting the kind of crazy economics and financial crackpottery that Milliband was twitching to impose upon the UK. We dodged a serious bullet there.

Funny you should say that. If Miliband had been elected and followed the expected set of crackpot economic schemes, we (righties) would have hated it, but we would have been the first to accept that as the leader of the democratically elected government he was entitled to pursue those policies (contrast the lefties trying to claim the Cameron government has no mandate), and yet here some right-wingers are trying to suggest that Tsipras government is invalid on an equivalent basis.

(Capitalism expects people to act rationally in their own interest, so no, it doesn't expect everyone to pay their taxes unless the government makes it in their interest from rewards or penalties - IANAE)
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,030
    Good morning, everyone.

I do think Yes is a stronger favourite than others do (backed it initially at 2/1), although it's still so close a No wouldn't be a shock.

I'm not sure I can see Greece leaving the EU.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

watford30 said:

Funny you should say that. If Miliband had been elected and followed the expected set of crackpot economic schemes, we (righties) would have hated it, but we would have been the first to accept that as the leader of the democratically elected government he was entitled to pursue those policies (contrast the lefties trying to claim the Cameron government has no mandate), and yet here some right-wingers are trying to suggest that Tsipras government is invalid on an equivalent basis.
    Syriza can do what it likes in Greece, but can't expect those outside to acquiesce to it's wishes too. Isn't that what they're suggesting?
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Indigo said:

watford30 said:

(Capitalism expects people to act rationally in their own interest, so no, it doesn't expect everyone to pay their taxes unless the government makes it in their interest from rewards or penalties - IANAE)
    The comparison is wrong. We are not in the Euro - if we were any and all of our govts. would have been rightly subject to the rules which membership implies. If the Greeks want fuller sovereignty they should leave the Euro - Syriza are lying to their electorate by suggesting they can vote no and stay in. They perpetuate the nonsense that austerity is something you can vote out of existence. You can't.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    felix said:

Indigo said:

watford30 said:

The comparison is wrong. We are not in the Euro - if we were any and all of our govts. would have been rightly subject to the rules which membership implies. If the Greeks want fuller sovereignty they should leave the Euro - Syriza are lying to their electorate by suggesting they can vote no and stay in. They perpetuate the nonsense that austerity is something you can vote out of existence. You can't.
    I fear the Greek people are in for an extremely unpleasant surprise if they vote 'No'. The Germans won't hang around.
  • Options
    watford30 said:

Indigo said:

watford30 said:

Syriza can do what it likes in Greece, but can't expect those outside to acquiesce to it's wishes too. Isn't that what they're suggesting?
    No. They are entitled to adopt any position they want at the talks, don't mean anyone has to give it to them. What we are not entitled to do is say the government is invalid, or insane, just because we dont like the positions they have struck. The EU has a track record of last minute fudges and can-kicks, expecting that there will be another one if you play chicken hard enough is a totally rational position to take given the history, and they may yet be right. Personally I think there will be a last minute fudge, because the EU being seen as irreversible is too important to the powers in Brussels, at which point Varoufakis will be vindicated as he will have got the best deal possible for the Greek people, it might not be the best deal for the EU, but that's not his problem.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,048
    edited July 2015
    "Furthermore, there’s a real risk of Greece not only leaving the Eurozone but the EU itself."

Again as I have been asking all along, exactly how do you expect this to happen given that there is no legal way under the current treaties that Greece can be expelled either from the Eurozone or the EU?

Any attempt to push Greece out of the EU would be in breech of the TFEU given that it would need Greece itself, as a signatory, to agree to leave under article 50.

There is not even a mechanism for a country to leave the Eurozone, either voluntarily or being forced out.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,539
    There is no democratic right to spend someone else's money. That simple point is where Tsipras's case falls apart.

When Greece had its own currency and its own central bank it had the right to debauch its currency and to print more money to pay for more public spending. There are consequences for such policies of course, even in a single country, but they had the indisputable right to do it.

When they cheated to get in the Euro they lost those rights. They no longer have their own currency to debauch. All the other users have the Euro have the right to protect their own currency. They do not have the right to print more money. If they borrow from their central bank they are not entering into QE on their own part, as we effectively did, but they are borrowing from others who have an equal right to say no.

They of course do have the right to argue that the northern Europeans have got it wrong, that their highly restrictive monetary policies have been completely disastrous not only for Greece but for most of the Mediterranean economies, that the more innovative approach to monetary policy in the US and the UK was a better way to respond to the credit crisis. But they have lost that argument and having lost it they are simply not entitled to impose their views on the other members.

The speech linked to below shows an astonishing level of delusion. This ultimately has nothing to do with democracy and the democratic will of the Greek people. It has everything to do with the requirement of rules if you are going to have a shared currency and a shared sovereignty. Greece either accepts those rules, however harsh, and remains in the club or it leaves and makes its own decisions, however disastrous.

I think Greece will vote yes, it is the rational thing to do. But whether they vote yes or no the economic damage these idiots have done will take decades to repair.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,105
    edited July 2015
    Indigo said:

felix said:

Sometimes governments need to backtrack when it turns out what they promised is impossible to attain. I'll grant it is sticking to one's principles not to do so, but I do think governments have a responsibility to recognise when things have changed and react. and in an urgent situation their delaying right now has been unnecessarily dangerous - it might not be were the referendum going to clearly resolve the situation one way or another, but if it's yes and new elections are called syrizia might win again and what then? If it's no, then it was a waste of time as syrizia had the mandate to da no already, as you say it's acting as they said they would, and cost crucial time to deal.

And I have to agree with the view that their protestations have included the implication it is anti democratic for Greece not to be given whatever it wants. It's a little more extreme than simply promising they can get that and the Greek people needing to learn they cannot, the rhetoric has been clear that Greeks voted no to austerity, therefore any action by creditors to not give in to Greek government demands is anti democratic. That is insane whether there is a mandate from the peolple to act that way or not, as it is in defiance of all logic. They can promise crazy things and people can vote for crazy things, but if it makes no sense it hat doesn't change just because people voted for it.

They are not being wholly irrational, they are doing what they said and what people wanted, but the craziness of an action need not be judged solely on if they support to try or it not but on whether objectively that view is reasonable.

Leaders are not supposed to mere weather vanes, sometimes they are supposed to carry people with them on issues, not just stick to proms that might not be viable and be proud when possibly avoidable messes occur.
  • Options
    felix said:

Indigo said:

watford30 said:

They are not lying. Legally they are absolutely correct as any attempt to push them out of the Eurozone would breach the founding treaty.
  • Options

felix said:

Indigo said:

watford30 said:

They are not lying. Legally they are absolutely correct as any attempt to push them out of the Eurozone would breach the founding treaty.
    Ever heard of de facto?
  • Options
    Mr. Tyndall, but can Greece be stopped from having new money printed for (or by) it?
  • Options
    edited July 2015

The problem is that the Euro has created a new form of sovereignty which no one understands. Greece has more sovereignty than, say, a Canadian province (or even Scotland), but less than Turkey (or even Germany). This is why Brown was right to keep us out of it, and why no one in the present Government wants to revisit that decision.

As it is, we have a mess: either the Greeks impinge on German sovereignty or vice versa.

• Options

felix said:

Indigo said:

watford30 said:

You really are missing the point Richard. The EZ works on a whole series of rules. When Greece had support from the stability fund it was compliant with those rules and, as such, was entitled to utilise the facilities of the club including the liquidity services of the ECB which allowed their banks to operate.

That is no longer the case. The support scheme ended on Tuesday. The drawing rights have been capped at what has already been borrowed. The Greeks are technically in default (people are being pusillanimous about actually calling it) with the IMF. This means that it would be open to the ECB not to accept the security that Banks have to offer to get liquidity. Greece is de facto out of the Euro right now. The only question to be determined is whether that exclusion is temporary or permanent.

None of this is non compliant with the treaties. It is completely compliant. The rights Greece has as a EZ member are subject to rules, rules they have broken. Unless they accept the terms on which the other members are willing to support them they will remain a non member of the EZ without access to the ECB.
  • Options
    Mr. Abroad, quite. The Greek Government has a mandate to pursue its Schrodinger's Cake policy of both having and eating said cake. But it does not have the ability to demand as of right that Germans hurl more money their way because, to coin a phrase, of the sovereign will of the Greek people.

*cough*currencyunion*cough*
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    watford30 said:

Indigo said:

watford30 said:

I have no issue with them expecting or even demanding they acquiesce to syrizias wishes. It would be a mistake to assume it, but they can believe what they like and say what they like. The problem I have is them is saying its anti democratic for those outside not to acquiesce. I'm sorry to indigo, but that is insane. Not illegitimate, but insane.

We cannot pretend the Greeks have not presented as though failure to do what they want violates the will of their people and for that reason is unreasonable. It may well be unreasonable, but not on that basis. A 100% poll supporting syrizia in saying that would make the stance even more politically understandable, but for once it is right to say popular support does not make stance itself rational.

Whether people vote for someone or something to take an action has no bearing on if that action is objectively insane, or to be less charged, unreasonable, only if it would be politically insane or not.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    DavidL said:

There is no democratic right to spend someone else's money. That simple point is where Tsipras's case falls apart.

When Greece had its own currency and its own central bank it had the right to debauch its currency and to print more money to pay for more public spending. There are consequences for such policies of course, even in a single country, but they had the indisputable right to do it.

When they cheated to get in the Euro they lost those rights. They no longer have their own currency to debauch. All the other users have the Euro have the right to protect their own currency. They do not have the right to print more money. If they borrow from their central bank they are not entering into QE on their own part, as we effectively did, but they are borrowing from others who have an equal right to say no.

They of course do have the right to argue that the northern Europeans have got it wrong, that their highly restrictive monetary policies have been completely disastrous not only for Greece but for most of the Mediterranean economies, that the more innovative approach to monetary policy in the US and the UK was a better way to respond to the credit crisis. But they have lost that argument and having lost it they are simply not entitled to impose their views on the other members.

The speech linked to below shows an astonishing level of delusion. This ultimately has nothing to do with democracy and the democratic will of the Greek people. It has everything to do with the requirement of rules if you are going to have a shared currency and a shared sovereignty. Greece either accepts those rules, however harsh, and remains in the club or it leaves and makes its own decisions, however disastrous.

I think Greece will vote yes, it is the rational thing to do. But whether they vote yes or no the economic damage these idiots have done will take decades to repair.

"those idiots" being both Syriza and the Eurozone leaders in roughly equal measure.

Neither Yes nor No offer any end to suffering.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

watford30 said:

Indigo said:

watford30 said:

I have no issue with them expecting or even demanding they acquiesce to syrizias wishes. It would be a mistake to assume it, but they can believe what they like and say what they like. The problem I have is them is saying its anti democratic for those outside not to acquiesce. I'm sorry to indigo, but that is insane. Not illegitimate, but insane.

We cannot pretend the Greeks have not presented as though failure to do what they want violates the will of their people and for that reason is unreasonable. It may well be unreasonable, but not on that basis. A 100% poll supporting syrizia in saying that would make the stance even more politically understandable, but for once it is right to say popular support does not make stance itself rational.

Whether people vote for someone or something to take an action has no bearing on if that action is objectively insane, or to be less charged, unreasonable, only if it would be politically insane or not.
    Let us not forget also that Angela Merkel has said that she will not accept any deal with Syriza - even one that its political opponents would agree to. She'll only negotiate with a Greek government she likes the look of. It isn't only the Greeks who are playing with fire.

• Options
    edited July 2015

Mr. Abroad, quite. The Greek Government has a mandate to pursue its Schrodinger's Cake policy of both having and eating said cake. But it does not have the ability to demand as of right that Germans hurl more money their way because, to coin a phrase, of the sovereign will of the Greek people.

It absolutely does have that right. The German's in the same vein have the right to tell them to get lost.
    kle4 said:

A 100% poll supporting syrizia in saying that would make the stance even more politically understandable, but for once it is right to say popular support does not make stance itself rational.

So they wont get what they want, and they will elect someone different next time, or alternatively they will elect the same people and continue to not get what they want.

But I think this mistakes the character of the debate, its a big international game of chicken with a lot of brow beating on the side. Greece can see that the EU has a track record of fudges and can kicks, and its playing its poor hand as well as it can to get the best fudge it can. Reason and experience to date suggests the longer you hold out the better deal you get, this might be the time that it's different, but I wouldn't put any money on it.
  • Options

kle4 said:

watford30 said:

Indigo said:

watford30 said:

Let us not forget also that Angela Merkel has said that she will not accept any deal with Syriza - even one that its political opponents would agree to. She'll only negotiate with a Greek government she likes the look of.

That would be the German's democratic right. Or is it somehow different for them?
  • Options
    Indigo said:

It absolutely does have that right. The German's in the same vein have the right to tell them to get lost.
    What they cannot do, or at least reasonably, is call it a betrayal or anti democratic if the Germans do. And I think we can expect a lot of 'gov forced out by outside powers' talk should syrizia fall. Thankfully, that's one thing the referendum should help with.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    watford30 said:

kle4 said:

watford30 said:

Indigo said:

watford30 said:

Let us not forget also that Angela Merkel has said that she will not accept any deal with Syriza - even one that its political opponents would agree to. She'll only negotiate with a Greek government she likes the look of.

That would be the German's democratic right. Or is it somehow different for them?
    No government has a "right" to tell other countries what government to elect - and don't pretend you don't know perfectly well that's what she's trying to do.

It is a basic principle of international law that if a government is in a position to govern, it has a right to do so. Either that, or you go to war with it. And yes, I do think that to all intents and purposes the Greeks and the Germans are at war. We just haven't got to the bombs and bullets yet.

• Options

kle4 said:

watford30 said:

Indigo said:

watford30 said:

Let us not forget also that Angela Merkel has said that she will not accept any deal with Syriza - even one that its political opponents would agree to. She'll only negotiate with a Greek government she likes the look of. It isn't only the Greeks who are playing with fire.

Oh there's much to criticise all around. If people all over, and I say this with hindsight it is true, had taken proper steps to resolve sooner rather than endless kicking down the road, would we be here right now?

• Options
    edited July 2015
    I do feel merkel is coming across worse and worse as time goes by - her reputation as cautious and taking incremental steps on everything looks more like indecisiveness from an Unwillingness to take bold steps and risk any domestic toil now to stem some off later. Maybe that's unfair, I do not know enough about German politics and you don't run and win as long as she has without good judgement, but it comes across as adding to the inability for Europe to get its shit together.
  • Options
    edited July 2015

watford30 said:

kle4 said:

watford30 said:

Indigo said:

watford30 said:

No government has a "right" to tell other countries what government to elect - and don't pretend you don't know perfectly well that's what she's trying to do.

It is a basic principle of international law that if a government is in a position to govern, it has a right to do so. Either that, or you go to war with it. And yes, I do think that to all intents and purposes the Greeks and the Germans are at war. We just haven't got to the bombs and bullets yet.

Merkel is perfectly free to say what she likes, and choose who her country deals with and lends money to. And if the Greeks don't like her terms, no one is preventing their democratically elected governing party from seeking finance elsewhere.

Otherwise, it's fortunate that the Bundeswehr's a bit short of tanks at the moment, hence their repurchasing of previously retired Leopards, and the Greeks can't afford the fuel to fight their way north.
  • Options
    edited July 2015

watford30 said:

kle4 said:

watford30 said:

Indigo said:

watford30 said:

Um, if they have a right to govern doesn't that include the right to express opinions on what other countries should do, including regarding elections? Not diplomatically sensible in most instances, but a government has the right to say ' I hope x wins in y', And lecture each other all the time, and lecture whole countries about what they should do whoever is in power in fact.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

watford30 said:

kle4 said:

watford30 said:

Indigo said:

watford30 said:

Um, if they have a right to govern doesn't that include the right to express opinions on what other countries should do, including regarding elections? Not diplomatically sensible in most instances, but a government had the right to say ' I hope x wi s in y'
    What would we say if German had said of the EU negotiations, that they were only prepared to negotiate if a) the LDs formed the government or b) Ken Clarke was the leader of the Conservatives ? I suspect we might tell them to sod off, and who we chose to elect was none of their business.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Indigo said:

kle4 said:

watford30 said:

kle4 said:

watford30 said:

Indigo said:

watford30 said:

Um, if they have a right to govern doesn't that include the right to express opinions on what other countries should do, including regarding elections? Not diplomatically sensible in most instances, but a government had the right to say ' I hope x wi s in y'
    What would we say if German had said of the EU negotiations, that they were only prepared to negotiate if a) the LDs formed the government or b) Ken Clarke was the leader of the Conservatives ? I suspect we might tell them to sod off, and who we chose to elect was none of their business.
    Yes we would, I am merely extrapolating the point that people are making about the 'right' to do things if in a position to govern, which has boiled down to 'they have aright to say and do anything if elected even if it is stupid' which applies to all sides in this.

Greece, Germany and all the others have the 'right' to say what they want to each other and attempt whatever they want including telling each other what to do. The argument for me is whether this makes the moralising grandstanding reasonable, particularly from syrizia who are the worst offenders in insulting their 'right' eclipses that of their creditors .

I say it isn't. All parties want the best deal and a right to try to get it, but not a right to whine not getting that deal is undemocratic, or at least not the right to be correct in that whine.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Indigo said:

kle4 said:

watford30 said:

kle4 said:

watford30 said:

Indigo said:

watford30 said:

Yes we would, I am merely extrapolating the point that people are making about the 'right' to do things if in a position to govern, which has boiled down to 'they have aright to say and do anything if elected even if it is stupid' which applies to all sides in this.

Greece, Germany and all the others have the 'right' to say what they want to each other and attempt whatever they want. The argument is whether this makes the moralising grandstanding reasonable, particularly from syrizia who are the worst offenders in insulting their 'right' eclipses that of their creditors .
    "Creditor" is morally good, eh, and "debtor" morally bad? In truth, you can't have one without the other.

• Options
    Mr. Abroad, the word for debt and guilt is the same in German, I think (schuldig, going by memory).
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

"those idiots" being both Syriza and the Eurozone leaders in roughly equal measure.

Neither Yes nor No offer any end to suffering.
    I fear the damage done to Greece by Syriza will be irreparable.

I don't think anyone would seriously argue that the over tight monetary policies of the EZ, largely as a result of German domination, have done a lot of damage over the last 5-6 years. Germany had a long history of having a "hard" currency and forcing internal changes when things got difficult. Almost every other member didn't and they have found it difficult to adapt.

I agree that neither yes nor no will end the suffering. Greece is deeply dysfunctional with payment of tax being a life style choice and the public sector corrupted into an easy living for the supporters of those in power. These things have to change if the people of Greece are going to have a European standard of living.

What is needed is a commitment to make those changes. If they make such commitments in a credible way support will be provided to help them get there. Not an easy path especially for those not used to paying tax or having to turn up to work to get their public salary and a public pension in their 50s but absolutely necessary.
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    <

None of this is non compliant with the treaties. It is completely compliant. The rights Greece has as a EZ member are subject to rules, rules they have broken. Unless they accept the terms on which the other members are willing to support them they will remain a non member of the EZ without access to the ECB.

Does that apply to everything?

Say Spain decides not to implement some farcical rule, just for example sake the light bulb directive section 1, sub-section 283, index 42b, are they then out of the EU?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

"Furthermore, there’s a real risk of Greece not only leaving the Eurozone but the EU itself."

Again as I have been asking all along, exactly how do you expect this to happen given that there is no legal way under the current treaties that Greece can be expelled either from the Eurozone or the EU?

Any attempt to push Greece out of the EU would be in breech of the TFEU given that it would need Greece itself, as a signatory, to agree to leave under article 50.

There is not even a mechanism for a country to leave the Eurozone, either voluntarily or being forced out.

But there is a mechanism for leaving the EU. The argument goes (and I don't believe this personally but understand it) that when the day comes that Greece admits they need to leave the Euro, they will need to leave the EU to facilitate that. Once out of the EU they aren't bound to the Euro.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Indigo said:

kle4 said:

watford30 said:

kle4 said:

watford30 said:

Indigo said:

watford30 said:

Greece, Germany and all the others have the 'right' to say what they want to each other and attempt whatever they want. The argument is whether this makes the moralising grandstanding reasonable, particularly from syrizia who are the worst offenders in insulting their 'right' eclipses that of their creditors .
    "Creditor" is morally good, eh, and "debtor" morally bad? In truth, you can't have one without the other.

That is not what I am saying at all. It just so happens in this instance the ones pulling the ' undemocratic for outside forces not to do what we want' card are syrizia. I'm not even saying the creditors have offered a reasonable deal. - the economics makes y brain hurt - but it is not undemocratic of them to not give in to syrizia even if syrizia are right that it is unreasonable or even irrational.
  • Options
    Mr. Thompson, cheers for posting that. It does seem incredible but also suggests how a Greek exit from the EU could occur.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352
    edited July 2015
    I never claim to know much about politics, and in that regard I'm probably a better litmus test than the more informed on here. Sad but true.

The Greeks like Syriza and their leaders because they stand up for Greece, illogical or not. That's the same reason that Bob Crow was popular with his members. The other reason politicians are voted in is image, pure and simple, a fact that the committed supporters choose to ignore.

The British Labour party is a prime example.

A hundred speeches is worth less than a still photo. Michael Foot was renowned as an orator. Fat lot of good it did him – he looked like Worzel Gummidge. Churchill was an orator but in 1945, he looked and sounded like like yesterday’s man.

Gordon did well as a background boy as but once elected to PM, he turned into Mr Bean (Vince was right). Ed didn’t turn into Mr Bean, he was always Mr Bean and the Labour party refused to believe their own eyes.

Corbyn is Michael Foot, Cooper might become PM-like but currently she’s a hectoring mumbler. That leaves Burnham and Kendall. Burnham is a little nondescript but that image did Major no harm. Kendall is a definite runner but as always, Labour will concentrate on the words and not the image., so they’ll make the wrong decision.

Syriza may have illogical policies but they are popular because they have leaders with a good image and they're standing up for their voters.

Politics is much simpler than people make out.

• Options

But there is a mechanism for leaving the EU. The argument goes (and I don't believe this personally but understand it) that when the day comes that Greece admits they need to leave the Euro, they will need to leave the EU to facilitate that. Once out of the EU they aren't bound to the Euro.
    That is absolutely correct. But it does rely upon Greece voluntarily leaving the EU. There is no mechanism under the treaties for them to be expelled.

And weirdly (or perhaps arrogantly on the part of the EU) there is no mechanism in the treaties for a country to either be pushed out or to voluntarily leave the Eurozone. They simply didn't conceive of it ever happening.
  • Options
    Do we have a timetable for the counting? Given the absence of, er, money in Greece one would've thought they'll be doing it pronto.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    I'm off, feeling as though I have really failed to explain my point even with thousands of words, dispiriting. One last try.

Demands on Greece may be unreasonable, may not, but are irrelevant to moral grandstanding of Greek government about will of their people being ignored as all sides have the right to try to get the best deal for those to whom they are accountable. Therefore syrizia has the right to spout off about a failure to do what they want as undemocratic, but that does not make it make sense, except as political cover and distraction, as the others have no obligation to do what syrizia want even assuming syrizia were right that it would be sensible to do so.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I'm off, feeling as though I have really failed to explain my point even with thousands of words, dispiriting. One last try.

Demands on Greece may be unreasonable, may not, but are irrelevant to moral grandstanding of Greek government about will of their people being ignored as all sides have the right to try to get the best deal for those to whom they are accountable. Therefore syrizia has the right to spout off about a failure to do what they want as undemocratic, but that does not make it make sense, except as political cover and distraction, as the others have no obligation to do what syrizia want even assuming syrizia were right that it would be sensible to do so.

Well, if you think Merkel has the right to say "I'll do this deal with you but I won't do the identical deal with the other fellow" your case stands up. A private citizen has exactly that right. But international law is different.

• Options

<

Say Spain decides not to implement some farcical rule, just for example sake the light bulb directive section 1, sub-section 283, index 42b, are they then out of the EU?

If countries do not comply with directives they can be and are taken to the ECJ or CJEU as it is now apparently called. They can be fined for non compliance and have to pay compensation to those that have lost out as a result of this breach of the Single market. A single market cannot work without rules and an ability to enforce them. We, along with every other country in the EU, signed up to this.

The position with a currency is similar. The right to use the ECB is subject to rules so that the system works for all of the members (at least in theory, in practice it undoubtedly works better for some than others). You cannot have a single currency without having a set of rules and the ability to enforce those rules in the same way as you cannot have a single market and no ability to ensure fair trade.

The focus on whether Greece is in or out of the Euro is completely misplaced. It is in many ways a lot simpler than our media indicate. At the moment, because they are non compliant, Greece does not have access to the ECB facilities. That is the price they pay for being in breach. It doesn't stop the Greeks from using the euros that they have in their own country. It doesn't directly stop the euro being their official currency. None of that will happen because the rules do not allow for it. What will happen is that they will continue to be excluded from the facilities of the ECB until they become compliant or reach an agreement with the other members.
  • Options
    Oh, and a word to kle4: I always reckon that if I can't explain my point succinctly then I can't explain it at all.
  • Options
    edited July 2015

Do we have a timetable for the counting? Given the absence of, er, money in Greece one would've thought they'll be doing it pronto.

Yes, or No, Greece is now completely screwed. It's the Detroit of Europe.

The banks won't be opening on Monday. I wouldn't be surprised if some never unlocked their doors again.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Indigo said:

Yes but we wouldn't have said "give us more money" at the same time. He who pays the piper calls the tune.
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    DavidL said:

<

If countries do not comply with directives they can be and are taken to the ECJ or CJEU as it is now apparently called. They can be fined for non compliance and have to pay compensation to those that have lost out as a result of this breach of the Single market. A single market cannot work without rules and an ability to enforce them. We, along with every other country in the EU, signed up to this.

The position with a currency is similar. The right to use the ECB is subject to rules so that the system works for all of the members (at least in theory, in practice it undoubtedly works better for some than others). You cannot have a single currency without having a set of rules and the ability to enforce those rules in the same way as you cannot have a single market and no ability to ensure fair trade.

The focus on whether Greece is in or out of the Euro is completely misplaced. It is in many ways a lot simpler than our media indicate. At the moment, because they are non compliant, Greece does not have access to the ECB facilities. That is the price they pay for being in breach. It doesn't stop the Greeks from using the euros that they have in their own country. It doesn't directly stop the euro being their official currency. None of that will happen because the rules do not allow for it. What will happen is that they will continue to be excluded from the facilities of the ECB until they become compliant or reach an agreement with the other members.

Many thanks for your reply, which to me demonstrates that a Single Market is completely unworkable.
This discussion has been closed.