Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Schrödinger’s referendum as Boris wants voters to vote both

SystemSystem Posts: 11,688
edited June 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Schrödinger’s referendum as Boris wants voters to vote both Yes and No to leaving the EU

BORIS JOHNSON is preparing to call for a “no” vote in Britain’s referendum on the European Union in an attempt to extract greater concessions from Brussels than David Cameron is demanding.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    First!
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    I like boris. I like watching him on tv. He has a funny way of falling over things.

He's crap at politics, though.
  • Options
    Repeated From Previous Thread:

Comment seen in an in-game chat channel: " you just have to look a Greece to realize that reality and what people think have only a passing resemblance to each other"

During the UK election, in the same chat channel, a particularly poor play was described as being performing nearly as incompetently as Miliband eating a bacon sandwich, to the confusion of the Americans present.

Obviously, these comments aren't any more representative than random pub conversations, but they are a modern version of the same thing, giving some rough indication of popular mood in the appropriate demographic. When your sandwich eating is treated as the standard for incompetence by pretty non-political 20-somethings, that's a pretty good sign you've got an image problem.

Likewise, the comment quoted above suggests a lot of normal people think Greece has lost touch with reality.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Comment seen in an in-game chat channel: " you just have to look a Greece to realize that reality and what people think have only a passing resemblance to each other"

During the UK election, in the same chat channel, a particularly poor play was described as being performing nearly as incompetently as Miliband eating a bacon sandwich, to the confusion of the Americans present.

Obviously, these comments aren't any more representative than random pub conversations, but they are a modern version of the same thing, giving some rough indication of popular mood in the appropriate demographic. When your sandwich eating is treated as the standard for incompetence by pretty non-political 20-somethings, that's a pretty good sign you've got an image problem.

Likewise, the comment quoted above suggests a lot of normal people think Greece has lost touch with reality.

OT Boris is being an idiot.

Greece - two snap opinion polls suggest the Greeks will vote yes to the EU proposal. I suspect Tspiras is finished. Podemos in Spain take note.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    "appealing to the Outers in the Tory party, who will form a substantial part of the voters who will elect the next Tory leader."

I thought the Tories were a pro EU party?

This is a ridiculous proposal by Boris and it's why the result of the referendum should be enshrined in law. If we vote to leave and don't actually do it, why would the rest of the EU expect us to vote to leave again and actually do it?
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,786

The Greeks ability to pay has certainly lost touch with reality. It seems that the decision to remain in the Euro may not be in their hands.

Out of curiosity, that seems like a very cerebral sort of in-game chat. What's the game?

• Options
    Omnium said:

Out of curiosity, that seems like a very cerebral sort of in-game chat. What's the game?

It was one of the Kongregate.com chat rooms. It's a site which hosts a lot of flash games. Many of them are dire, but they do include some decent puzzles and logic games, so it's not just teenagers boasting about how elite they are, just because their reflexes are a microsecond faster.

• Options
    The UK will always have a good relationship with most of Europe. That is not enhanced by being in the EU. There is no appetite for their 'ever closer union' aim.

Nobody believes that Cameron will achieve anything material with his 'renegotiation', especially when he has made plain that he'll accept whatever is offered.

Boris is claiming that he'd be a cannier negotiator than Cameron. He's right.

• Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    The last Top Gear of old will go out tonight at 8pm BBC2 http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/ingear/cars/article1573212.ece
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Bull.

Boris plays to the gallery too much and doesn't care about the detail. Cameron is actually pretty good at the negotiation lark.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    edited June 2015
    Charles said:

Bull.

Boris plays to the gallery too much and doesn't care about the detail. Cameron is actually pretty good at the negotiation lark.
    I am not sure how much evidence there is for that, I think its fairer to say that he is lucky, which is not a bad attribute to have, but can't be relied on indefinitely.

"You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck."

(There is an old apocryphal story about the chief pilot for an unnamed airline who faced with a huge pile of applications on his desk, picks up half the letters and drops them in the waste bin, responding to the raised eyebrows of his secretary he explains that he only wants lucky pilots working for him)
  • Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294
    This suggests to me that Cammo has indeed anointed Gideon as his heir. Not sure how much Boris really wants to be in 10 Downing Street, though - surely it would cramp his style. Buying "Top Gear" from the Beeb and fronting it on BoJoTV is more his line of country, surely.
  • Options
    Apropos GrExit, surely the consequences in other countries isn't so much the worry that parties like Podemas will rise to power on the back of it, but rather that the bond markets will start to speculate on which country will be the next out the door. Once the illusion of euro membership being an irreversible choice is broken, the markets are going to be looking for signs of weakness in other countries, and bond prices in those countries are going to go through the roof.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    Good morning, everyone.

Unusually moronic from Boris. It'll piss off both sides, and all reasonable people.

No means No. It means we want to bloody leave. And if you don't want us to leave, then vote Yes. Boris' plan is to campaign for something he doesn't want, it seems, then ignore the result if he achieves it.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    It is becoming rather tedious pointing out to Cameron haters on PB that whatever deal he returns with will be presented to the populace..who will then decide..it has nothing whatsoever to do with his personal choice which will amount to one single vote.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,963

It is becoming rather tedious pointing out to Cameron haters on PB that whatever deal he returns with will be presented to the populace..who will then decide..it has nothing whatsoever to do with his personal choice which will amount to one single vote.

It is equally tedious to point out to you that all the polls show that whether or not Cameron recommends a deal makes a huge difference to the way people claim they will vote. Cameron carries huge numbers of votes with him depending on whether he recommends a deal or not.
  • Options

Its becoming rather tedious pointing out to Cameron admirers on PB that as the Prime Minster of the UK, especially one which has passed laws removing the purdah requirement on the EU referendum, his views are massively important, because several tens on millions of pounds of government advertising will be shouting them from the roof tops. It is disingenuous in the extreme to suggest that the substantial bully pulpit that is Cameron's cannot and will not be used to build a coalition of the great and the good to support his view whatever that turns out to be, and fatuous to suggest that his personal choice is immaterial and no more important than anyone elses.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Opponents of the EU are complaining now that David Cameron is popular and influential? Well it's a line of argument I suppose.
  • Options
    Mr. Antifrank, it surprises you that many people who voted Conservative are sceptical of the EU?
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Opponents of the EU are complaining now that David Cameron is popular and influential? Well it's a line of argument I suppose.

Cameron is popular and influential in the UK, self-evidently so since he just won an election. This clearly matters since that is where the referendum is.

Cameron is neither popular nor influential in the EU, this matters because that is the substance of the referendum, vis, he isn't going to come home with anything of substance.

Your legal training allows to to smoothly elide one with the other to score a point with the jury, but it's meaningless.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Andrew Neil retweeted
    Robbie Gibb ‏@RobbieGibb 33m33 minutes ago
    @aedinandrew @afneil We have postponed the interview with Nick Clegg because of the terrible events in Tunisia.

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,632

Mr. Antifrank, it surprises you that many people who voted Conservative are sceptical of the EU?

It surprises me that so many Tories on PB seem to be positioning themselves as the heir to Ken Clark.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,903
    Morning all. Glad to see that my lay on Boris for next Con leader at close to evens is still looking like good value.
  • Options

It surprises me that so many Tories on PB seem to be positioning themselves as the heir to Ken Clark.
    A lot of them are Cleggite Lib Dems that quietly changed their rosette when Cameron became leader of the Conservative Party, this shouldn't be a bit surprise since you could hardly put a cigarette paper between their policies except those that were trumpeted to the public for purposes of "differentiation"
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,903
    Indigo said:

Charles said:

Bull.

"You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck."
    I remember a similar quote from a number of flying instructors - mainly the ones with the grey hair!

• Options

No, I'm more surprised that the Europhobes think that it's somehow unfair that the Prime Minister should be popular and influential, and that this somehow invalidates the referendum.
  • Options
    Incidentally, which pber(s) is it that have worked on screen-writing and trying to get a green light for proposals to go into production? I know we've got at least one, but I can't remember who.

Got to stress this question, alas, isn't asked on my behalf but someone published with the same chaps doing my books is at an early stage in a potential film deal.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    IIRC its @MarqueeMark - green-lit still pending production. @seant has sold film rights for one of his books too.

Incidentally, which pber(s) is it that have worked on screen-writing and trying to get a green light for proposals to go into production? I know we've got at least one, but I can't remember who.

Got to stress this question, alas, isn't asked on my behalf but someone published with the same chaps doing my books is at an early stage in a potential film deal.

• Options
    antifrank said:

No, I'm more surprised that the Europhobes think that it's somehow unfair that the Prime Minister should be popular and influential, and that this somehow invalidates the referendum.
    So if Dave decides its futile, and comes home and says "its a waste of time, I am going to campaign for out" and then uses his bully pulpit and government money to campaign for OUT. You will be completely happy with that ? Or is it only when he is likely to support your preferred view ?
  • Options
    Cheers, Miss Plato :)
  • Options
    Indigo said:

antifrank said:

So if Dave decides its futile, and comes home and says "its a waste of time, I am going to campaign for out" and then uses his bully pulpit and government money to campaign for OUT. You will be completely happy with that ? Or is it only when he is likely to support your preferred view ?
    Of course I'd be happy with that. I expect politicians to have views and to lead. What else do we elect them for?
  • Options
    FE: watched the race yesterday after all. A few exciting moments (Vergne drove well) but a lot of nonsense. Track was badly designed (too tight), so it started (in the dry) behind a safety car, which is lame. Also, the on-screen information was rubbish compared with F1 (for example, radio messages were heard but names didn't appear on the screen).

I do think it has potential, although its very trendiness will attract environmentalists, if they're evangelical about it I can see that putting off people who just want to see cars drive quickly (speaking of which, it's still too damned slow).
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    Desperate, transparent, contemptible stuff from Boris; sp proving he would be quite unfit to ever lead the Tories. In that sense, I suppose, he is doing his party a very big favour by speaking to "friends" about this. This is a gift for Osborne, who stands head and shoulders above his colleagues (much as I dislike his politics).
  • Options
    Mr. Observer, it's inexplicable, vacillating stupidity from Boris. Can you fathom his reasoning? It just seems designed to annoy everyone.

Whilst I concur about Osborne, the biggest question will be whether he actually wants it. If he does, and gets it, we'll have a weird comparison between the antagonistic Blair/Brown relationship and premierships, and the more amicable Cameron/Osborne one.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Like!
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Who is complaining? Just pointing out the facts to Mr Dodd.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Not seen any Europhobes around here. Who are you talking about? Mind you plenty of self serving Euro-fanatics aren't there Antifrank. How are your vested interests in the EU these days?
  • Options

Desperate, transparent, contemptible stuff from Boris; sp proving he would be quite unfit to ever lead the Tories. In that sense, I suppose, he is doing his party a very big favour by speaking to "friends" about this. This is a gift for Osborne, who stands head and shoulders above his colleagues (much as I dislike his politics).

For once I was very nearly with you all the way there - then you spoil it with your brackets :)

The problem for Boris is that both Cameron and Osborne are there, mostly being sensible and he's left up the creek , etc.
  • Options
    OT For our resident space nerds - nice docu on The Shuttle. http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0109cc7/the-space-shuttle-a-horizon-guide
  • Options

antifrank said:

Not seen any Europhobes around here. Who are you talking about? Mind you plenty of self serving Euro-fanatics aren't there Antifrank. How are your vested interests in the EU these days?
    I haven't yet decided which way I'll vote in the referendum. Have you?
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    MD Re film options... I was at another Producer meeting last night to discuss that very event.. looking good..I am away on a film shoot for the next five weeks or so and will restart negotiations when I return..Good fun..
  • Options
    Message for you, Mr. Dodd.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    antifrank said:

antifrank said:

What on earth is there to decide. Whatever Dave comes up with , it would be madness to leave the EU.

There you go... decision made for you.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

antifrank said:

I cal you on that Antifrank. I say you are being outright dishonest. Of course you have decided. You had decided years ago and have never made a single comment on here to indicate you are anything other than a complete Eurofanatic. Not surprising given your vested interests in staying in of course.

Pretending otherwise for the sake of winning an argment is just sad.

And of course yes I have decided to vote OUT no matter what Cameron comes back with. The EU cannot be trusted to keep its promises and Cameron is not asking for anything like a bare minimum needed to make any difference. Even if he gets everything he is asking for it will be no where near enough.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937

Mr. Observer, it's inexplicable, vacillating stupidity from Boris. Can you fathom his reasoning? It just seems designed to annoy everyone.

Whilst I concur about Osborne, the biggest question will be whether he actually wants it. If he does, and gets it, we'll have a weird comparison between the antagonistic Blair/Brown relationship and premierships, and the more amicable Cameron/Osborne one.

Brown was and is a sociopath, the other three aren't; that's the difference. Luckily, Brown's inability to deal with Blair's leadership meant that the UK stayed well clear of the Euro. The rest was pure destruction.

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758
    antifrank said:

antifrank said:

ROFL
  • Options
    Mr. Observer, succinct summary. Cheers.
  • Options

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

I cal you on that Antifrank. I say you are being outright dishonest. Of course you have decided. You had decided years ago and have never made a single comment on here to indicate you are anything other than a complete Eurofanatic. Not surprising given your vested interests in staying in of course.

And of course yes I have decided to vote OUT no matter what Cameron comes back with. The EU cannot be trusted to keep its promises and Cameron is not asking for anything like a bare minimum needed to make any difference. Even if he gets everything he is asking for it will be no where near enough.
    Thanks for purporting to read my mind. If you troubled to read what I have written consistently over many years rather than project what you imagine my views to be, you would have seen that I am in the truest sense sceptical about the EU and the direction is heading.

One of the main deterrents to voting for Out is the maniacal tendency of the Europhobes to treat everything from Brussels as an emanation of the antichrist.

It's not so much an evil organisation as an outdated one. The question is whether it can change enough to be worth sticking with, given its current direction. The signs are not promising and I shall have an invidious choice in a couple of years' time.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    antifrank said:

antifrank said:

What might prompt you to vote No?
  • Options
    antifrank said:

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Thanks for purporting to read my mind. If you troubled to read what I have written consistently over many years rather than project what you imagine my views to be, you would have seen that I am in the truest sense sceptical about the EU and the direction is heading.

One of the main deterrents to voting for Out is the maniacal tendency of the Europhobes to treat everything from Brussels as an emanation of the antichrist.

It's not so much an evil organisation as an outdated one. The question is whether it can change enough to be worth sticking with, given its current direction. The signs are not promising and I shall have an invidious choice in a couple of years' time.
    Well judging by the other comments here you obviously need to work on your presentational skills because no one seems to believe you.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

If the EU shows no interest in reaching a stable accommodation in the EU with states which do not wish to follow EU route A, we should leave and seek an arrangement from the outside. They would be daft to follow such a tack on their own partisan interest, but they seem to be thinking carefully about being daft.
  • Options
    Mr. Antifrank, for zealots, a liberal interpretation of the faith is often considered heresy.
  • Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294
    edited June 2015
    Sean_F said:

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

The argument for voting "no" is simple - Cammo's smug face.

The argument for voting "yes" is even simpler - Nigel Farage

• Options
    For those who seem to think that I'm performing some kind of volte face, I put this up on pb2 a couple of years ago:

http://politicalbetting.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/the-eu-and-britain.html
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Tories clearly still have big internal problems with Europe. Boris is playing with fire.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721

antifrank said:

I've spotted one - is there a prize?
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Its becoming rather tedious pointing out to Cameron admirers on PB that as the Prime Minster of the UK, especially one which has passed laws removing the purdah requirement on the EU referendum, his views are massively important, because several tens on millions of pounds of government advertising will be shouting them from the roof tops. It is disingenuous in the extreme to suggest that the substantial bully pulpit that is Cameron's cannot and will not be used to build a coalition of the great and the good to support his view whatever that turns out to be, and fatuous to suggest that his personal choice is immaterial and no more important than anyone elses.
    I doubt that they will be explicitly spending government money on supporting the campaign one way or the other.

The lifting of the purdah is because it would otherwise restrict their ability to comment on anything of significance during the referendum period as almost every piece of government business has a European aspect
  • Options
    antifrank said:

For those who seem to think that I'm performing some kind of volte face, I put this up on pb2 a couple of years ago:

http://politicalbetting.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/the-eu-and-britain.html

Thanks. The economic growth crisis doesn't seem to be going away.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Indigo said:

I doubt that they will be explicitly spending government money on supporting the campaign one way or the other.

The lifting of the purdah is because it would otherwise restrict their ability to comment on anything of significance during the referendum period as almost every piece of government business has a European aspect
    That's clearly just a line that your swallowed.
  • Options

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

What on earth is there to decide. Whatever Dave comes up with , it would be madness to leave the EU.

Why?

Britain is a significant global economy, with trading links internationally and a huge base of talented individuals.

Being in the EU has meaningful advantages, but it also has serious costs. The direction of travel is towards more integration of the core Eurozone and, as a result, it is imperative that adequate mechanisms are put in place to protect the interests of the "non-Eurozone" countries.

Failing that, there is a strong argument that we would be better off charting our own future as a friendly but independent partner to the Eurozone.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Charles said:

Indigo said:

That's clearly just a line that your swallowed.
    So, for instance, can you comment on defence policy without a comment on the (idiotic) possibility of a European Army? Or how about foreign affairs without talking about collaboration with the EU? Of DfID while ignoring that several billion of our money is handed out through the EU? Or TTIP negotiations? Or how about the health service without taking into account the passport?

If the government spend a lot on pro-EU advertising it will undermine the legitimacy of the referendum. The only political advantage of this whole song and dance for Cameron is to put the question to bed - he won't want to undermine its legitimacy.
  • Options

antifrank said:

I've spotted one - is there a prize?
    Go on, point out a Europhobe - someone who has an irrational fear of the EU.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758
    Branson's argument for staying in seems to be based on tax reulations 40 years ago.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Does anyone have trade data with the EU to hand? I gather there's a Rotterdam effect that skews this too. How does it square with our membership fees? Comparing recent figs would be useful.
    Charles said:

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Why?

Britain is a significant global economy, with trading links internationally and a huge base of talented individuals.

Being in the EU has meaningful advantages, but it also has serious costs. The direction of travel is towards more integration of the core Eurozone and, as a result, it is imperative that adequate mechanisms are put in place to protect the interests of the "non-Eurozone" countries.

Failing that, there is a strong argument that we would be better off charting our own future as a friendly but independent partner to the Eurozone.
  • Options
    My. Tyndall, that's inaccurate. A europhobe would have an irrational fear of either the euro, or Europe. The EU does not equal Europe, despite what certain ideologically driven numpties would wish to believe.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    Sir Richard Branson stressing how important it is Britain stays in the EU on Marr, could be a good leading spokesman for the Yes/In campaign
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @BBCBreaking: European Central Bank expected to end emergency lending to Greece later on Sunday, @Peston understands http://t.co/6QzZQUTUto
  • Options

My. Tyndall, that's inaccurate. A europhobe would have an irrational fear of either the euro, or Europe. The EU does not equal Europe, despite what certain ideologically driven numpties would wish to believe.

Quite right. I had intended writing just that and got distracted by giving a dressing down to my 7 year old.

Still, both EU and Europe the same point applies. Eurosceptics do not have an irrational fear, they simply don't have the blind adherence that most of the europhiles seem to have.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Sir Richard Branson stressing how important it is Britain stays in the EU on Marr, could be a good leading spokesman for the Yes/In campaign

NEVER.. Those who have had to put up with Virgin Media will all want to vote out if my experience was anything to go by. VM didn't give a toss and wouldn't do anything to help. I quit. Branson will never get another penny of mine.
  • Options
    ECB believed to end Greece's emergency lending today, according to the BBC:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-33303105
  • Options
    Charles said:

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Why?

but we wouldn't be a friendly partner. If we left, the loathing and hatred would go on for centuries !!
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    felix said:

Greece - two snap opinion polls suggest the Greeks will vote yes to the EU proposal. I suspect Tspiras is finished. Podemos in Spain take note.

That would be a real game-changer. Details are here:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/06/27/us-eurozone-greece-poll-idUSKBN0P70RY20150627

57-29 or 47-33, with the latter question loaded by noting that the consequences of "Yes" would be painful. However, be careful - both polls seem to have been taken before the referendum was announced and Tsipras indicated he'd campaign for "No".

Boris's move seems tactically unwise, and I expect he'll reverse it soon in the usual cloud of bluster. I have form in underestimating him, but I wonder oif he hasn't be over-bought in the sense that people think he's more of a political mastermind than he actually is, based on his ability to beat Ken Livingstone.
  • Options
    IIRC Virgin bought NTL who had a SHOCKING rep for customer service, and its largely no better years later. No one seems to get more unhappy mentions.

HYUFD said:

NEVER.. Those who have had to put up with Virgin Media will all want to vote out if my experience was anything to go by. VM didn't give a toss and wouldn't do anything to help. I quit. Branson will never get another penny of mine.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

The EU does not equal Europe, despite what certain ideologically driven numpties would wish to believe.

Would you call someone who says "America" when they really mean the USA an "ideologically driven numpty"?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Er no. He would be a disaster for them given that he has loves the EU so much he moved the IP part of his Virgin empire to Switzerland.
  • Options
    Boris thinks he's Churchill when he's actually more like Tony Benn without the integrity.
  • Options

felix said:

That would be a real game-changer. Details are here:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/06/27/us-eurozone-greece-poll-idUSKBN0P70RY20150627

57-29 or 47-33, with the latter question loaded by noting that the consequences of "Yes" would be painful. However, be careful - both polls seem to have been taken before the referendum was announced and Tsipras indicated he'd campaign for "No".

Boris's move seems tactically unwise, and I expect he'll reverse it soon in the usual cloud of bluster. I have form in underestimating him, but I wonder oif he hasn't be over-bought in the sense that people think he's more of a political mastermind than he actually is, based on his ability to beat Ken Livingstone.
    Looking at the questions as set out earlier (if they are correct) then I am amazed anyone would know which way to vote.
  • Options
    Plato said:

Does anyone have trade data with the EU to hand? I gather there's a Rotterdam effect that skews this too. How does it square with our membership fees? Comparing recent figs would be useful.

Charles said:

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Why?

IIRC, something like 47% of our exports go the EU. We have a substantial trade deficit with EU, and a substantial surplus with Non-EU countries
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798

I know others have answered this but I have to add to how silly it is. I like Cameron and as pm his view on something has even greater weight, and as split as they are he leads as large section of a political tribe which will follow his view closely perhaps despite some misgivings.

Personally I just don't think he is able to get enough from the other leaders to make it worth it, but others might if they trust him enough.
  • Options
    Thousands of terrified families were flown home from Tunisia yesterday in one of the biggest airlifts ever organised by British tour companies. Wave after wave of empty aircraft were dispatched from the UK in response to pleas by British visitors traumatised by the beach massacre on Friday and desperate to return home to worried loved ones.

Fleets of coaches, some escorted by armed police, ferried them from their hotels to airports in the Sousse region. Departure lounges became so crowded that hundreds of people had to wait outside for their flights to safety.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3141863/Massive-airlift-bring-home-20-000-British-tourists-Tunisia-counsellors-flown-ut-comfort-relatives-dead.html#ixzz3eLOh0LoU
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
  • Options
    Mr. Thompson, no. That's a different case.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Angus Robertson says a second referendum could be on the cards in the party's manifesto for Holyrood next year if the greater devolved powers promised are not delivered and austerity is imposed on Scotland. He also says the Scotland Bill does not implement all elements of the Smith Commission
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/jun/28/snp-scots-could-still-go-it-alone
  • Options
    edited June 2015

Mr. Thompson, no. That's a different case.

Why? Both represent a significant proportion of the continent and have the continent's name in their own name. What's the difference as far as names are concerned?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,311
    Firstly, I don't think the Boris story will stand up. Having read my ST there is nothing there that is going to tie his hands. Boris is many things but stupid is not one of them.

What I do think that the story hints at is that there is a frustration with BOO and UKIP and the lack of a credible threat of withdrawal. Since the election (being kind) UKIP have behaved like a bunch of amateurish muppets and the idea that the British public would follow them to the nearest chip shop, let alone out of the EU, looks fantastical.

The recent polling indicating a large majority for In even before the frighteners are brought out has weakened Cameron's hand as well. With the EZ completely absorbed by the Greek tragedy unfolding in Athens Cameron needed something substantive to get the threat of a Brexit up the agenda. He hasn't got it and the opportunity to put our relationship with the EU on a better footing going forward is likely to be lost.

I can well imagine Boris and others coming up with such an analysis. What I cannot imagine for a moment is him throwing away his career in a sacrificial attempt to resolve the problem.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Hah. That is pretty funny, and the crazier Euro phones have been looking for excuses to be angry at the referendum. Personally I'm so sick of arrogant dismissal from Brussels I just think it best we leave.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I've never been a VM customer (quite happy with Sky, though customer service is shocking poor "computer says no" until you threaten to quit and then they'll bend over backwards to make you happy). But Virgin Trains are quite pleasant.
  • Options
    Plato said:

Charles said:

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Why?

The latest balance of payments figures from the Pink Book are for 2013.

This gives us a current account deficit with the EU of £102 billion.

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/dcp171776_382948.pdf

Outside of a small surplus in the balance of services of £10 billion there are no upsides to our business relationship with the EU.

• Options
    If I were less fond of the Union and the No result, I'd happily send the SNPers off to Brussels = a marvellous bit of match-making.
    kle4 said:

antifrank said:

Hah. That is pretty funny, and the crazier Euro phones have been looking for excuses to be angry at the referendum. Personally I'm so sick of arrogant dismissal from Brussels I just think it best we leave.
  • Options
    Mr. Thompson, one's a country. And many ideologically driven supporters of the EU seek to equate it with Europe or 'good Europe'. It's entirely possible to be pro-Europe (and pro-bilateral/multilateral agreements with European countries) whilst being against the EU. Because the EU is not Europe, and Europe is not the EU.
  • Options
    SR/RT Maybe but there is no doubt he is relatively popular with the public as a whole
  • Options
    Bit added to that BBC link:
    "Greece will probably have to "announce a bank holiday on Monday, pending the introduction of capital controls", a source told the BBC's Robert Peston."
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Plato said:

Charles said:

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Why?

IIRC, something like 47% of our exports go the EU. We have a substantial trade deficit with EU, and a substantial surplus with Non-EU countries
    Yep. The latest figures from 2013 show a Balance of payments surplus with the USA of £45 billion. The EU drags us down and then kicks the life out of us as far as trade and economics are concerned.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    edited June 2015
    HYUFD said:

Wasn't he one of the utter fool's advocating membership of the Euro ten, fifteen years ago...?

• Options
    kle4 said:

I know others have answered this but I have to add to how silly it is. I like Cameron and as pm his view on something has even greater weight, and as split as they are he leads as large section of a political tribe which will follow his view closely perhaps despite some misgivings.

Personally I just don't think he is able to get enough from the other leaders to make it worth it, but others might if they trust him enough.
    I'm surprised how many on both sides seem so keen to pre-judge any deal before its made or even worse seem to have zero confidence in the ability to of their countrymen to tell the difference.

In this modern era of the internet and 24/7 news etc any deal will be micro-analysed to death. Nobody will be able to pull the wool over the eyes of the public as a whole. If any deal is a sham it will be revealed as such within days not years.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@BBCBreaking: European Central Bank expected to end emergency lending to Greece later on Sunday, @Peston understands http://t.co/6QzZQUTUto

HYUFD said:

Angus Robertson says a second referendum could be on the cards in the party's manifesto for Holyrood next year if the greater devolved powers promised are not delivered and austerity is imposed on Scotland. He also says the Scotland Bill does not implement all elements of the Smith Commission
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/jun/28/snp-scots-could-still-go-it-alone

Interesting - not at all sure we'd get a different result.
  • Options
    He certainly is, however I'd sum up his brand as more Maverick = David vs Goliath. For those of us old enough, we remember Virgin Records, his battles with BA et al.

What is he nowadays? A handsome beardy in a jumper who tries to fly tourists into space.

I think we can mistake his anti-establishment persona with credibility. He's got media chops - but I doubt how many would be too persuaded by him that weren't already Inners.
    HYUFD said:

SR/RT Maybe but there is no doubt he is relatively popular with the public as a whole

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Problem is it would require him to spend time in the UK and possibly upset his delicate tax planning
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

So it'll definitely be in there as any restriction is austerity and no amount of devolved powers will be as 'promised'. Well as popular as snp are right now it makes sense. Go for it now just in case the level of popularity dips from amazingly high to just high in a few years.
  • Options

kle4 said:

I'm surprised how many on both sides seem so keen to pre-judge any deal before its made or even worse seem to have zero confidence in the ability to of their countrymen to tell the difference.

In this modern era of the internet and 24/7 news etc any deal will be micro-analysed to death. Nobody will be able to pull the wool over the eyes of the public as a whole. If any deal is a sham it will be revealed as such within days not years.
    Why? It has already been made clear that what he is asking for as a maximum is not enough to satisfy even the minimum for most Eurosceptics so why should you be surprised that we reject it? Even the EU was surprised at how little Cameron was asking for after all his big words about substantial renegotiation.

• Options

Charles said:

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Why?

but we wouldn't be a friendly partner. If we left, the loathing and hatred would go on for centuries !!
    Bold statement. Please back it up.

Countries are the definition of pragmatic.