Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Latest on the Labour leadership race

SystemSystem Posts: 11,688
edited June 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Latest on the Labour leadership race

This may just be political gravity bringing the odds back down to a more realistic level, as many people thought Yvette Cooper longish odds were wrong. As Mike noted this morning, the Tories have been able to hang Stafford around Burnham’s neck & his response poor & ill-thought out.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    First!
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    First preferences matter less than second and third ones, unless someone gets a majority off the bat, though.

My post-race thoughts are up here: http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2015/06/austria-post-race-analysis.html
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,632
    Cooper has a proud record in government to defend - HIPS!

And using the TV debate as a platform to talk about shoes hardly shows someone with a vision for the party.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,717
    It looks like Labour is adopting the Nationalist approach to facts:

When challenged, Abbott spluttered about how she meets real people and knows things are not good. An important point: I’ll wager she moves almost exclusively in circles where lefties tell each other that things are not good, and the economy is not recovering. This was the echo-chamber that Ed Miliband inhabited, with the result we saw last month. Only Liz Kendall seems to be rooted in reality (and being pilloried for it): the others remain in denial. For those wanting ten years of Conservatism, the Labour leadership race really is shaping up nicely.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2015/06/diane-abbotts-car-crash-sunday-politics-interview-shows-the-depth-of-labours-denial/
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    So, Burnham trying to present as the inevitable candidate is losing out the Cooper's 'safety and experience' pitch?

Was there ever a time when Abbott talked sense or didn't embarrass herself? For years now that seems to have been the case near every time I see her, so stubborn and often seemingly unthinking. That may be unkind, clearly I don't have as full a picture of her as a person or politician as many others, but I feel very little respect toward her even (though I admit part of that is my no doubt irritating refusal to let go the pathetic circumstances of the 2010 leadership campaign)
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    Have just spent the last few hours reading Alan Clark's Diaries (the first batch) for the first time - pretty entertaining stuff. He really was not a fan of Ken Clarke I noticed.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,487
    kle4 said:

Have just spent the last few hours reading Alan Clark's Diaries (the first batch) for the first time - pretty entertaining stuff. He really was not a fan of Ken Clarke I noticed.

Daddy issues there.

Alan Clark's father was also called Ken Clark.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    edited June 2015
    @theuniondivie and @carlottavance

FPT

2001 2005 2010 2015
    Tory Vote 360,658 369388 412471 434097
    Total Vote 2315703 2333887 2465722 2910465
    Tory % 15.57% 15.83% 16.73% 14.92%

So the Tory vote has steadily risen, as has the turnout. The Tory vote as a % of the electorate has steadily increased over this period, and as a percentage of turnout, it increased 2005 and 2010 and fell this year, probably only because of the massive SNP turnout of previous non-voters.
  • Options
    LadyBucketLadyBucket Posts: 590
    TSE

David Cameron is a gentleman and would in no circumstances mention her previous health problems, or who she is married to. Although, I expect she will do everything she can to 'needle' him and exploit the situation, knowing he can't answer back.

This woman is as hard as nails and I am expecting her to win and Tom Watson as deputy. Two Brownites' steeped in trade unionism and their dirty tricks.

Labour are welcome to the pair of them.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I would have thought that the Conservative line of attack on Yvette Cooper would be the unhealthy influence of an unelected figure on the Labour leader. The newspapers would enjoy that too.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    I couldn't agree more - and such a warm personality to go with it, not.

Cooper has a proud record in government to defend - HIPS!

And using the TV debate as a platform to talk about shoes hardly shows someone with a vision for the party.

• Options
    antifrank said:

I would have thought that the Conservative line of attack on Yvette Cooper would be the unhealthy influence of an unelected figure on the Labour leader. The newspapers would enjoy that too.

If Yvette becomes leader I wonder if Ed will join her on stage at the end of her conference speeches to wave to the cameras?
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,307
    '...'if the Tories try and attack her over her past health problems or the fact she’s the wife of Ed Balls, the Tories will probably be damaged by the attacks, as they will come off as potentially unfair, misogynistic and plain nasty.'

Yes, I suppose they would. (Is there any evidence that the Tories were considering such an unethical and counter-productive tactic?)
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,134
    edited June 2015
    kle4 said:

If I recall correctly he softened towards Clarke, but Hesseltine was always beyond the pale.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,487

'...'if the Tories try and attack her over her past health problems or the fact she’s the wife of Ed Balls, the Tories will probably be damaged by the attacks, as they will come off as potentially unfair, misogynistic and plain nasty.'

Yes, I suppose they would. (Is there any evidence that the Tories were considering such an unethical and counter-productive tactic?)

As we saw with Michael Fallon's attack on Ed Miliband during the election campaign the Blues are willing to make it very personal.

Though I'm covering that in the morning thread.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    Mr. JS, not sure I believe that. I have small savings, despite my earnings being far, far less than Young.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,311
    What is causing Burnham to lose so much ground? As much as he was overpriced before he is looking good value at the moment.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    edited June 2015

If Mrs Balls wins then I fully expect to see the poster with Ed Balls with the fragrant Yevette in his top pocket. It's an open goal.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,717
    Moses_ said:

If Mrs Balls wins then I fully expect to see the poster with Ed Balls with the fragrant Yevette in his top pocket. It's an open goal.
    I'm not sure that will work as well as the Salmond/Miliband poster.

Salmond/Miliband was making a political point.

Showing a woman in a man's pocket is making a different point altogether and could backfire quite spectacularly.....
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    kle4 said:

Was there ever a time when Abbott talked sense or didn't embarrass herself?

Her ‘42 Days detention speech’ was commendable - and perhaps her finest hour.

The rest of her ~30 years as an MP has been a mixed bag of either barking mad or laziness.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:
    If you lose your job any savings carefully tucked away will be counted against you when claiming any help or benefits. In effect your prudence is penalised as opposed to someone who had a great time, pissed it all up the wall down the pub every night would be fully eligible.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited June 2015
    Sounds like the Sunday Politics was a bit of a fizzer.. The hypocrite(over her child's schooling) Dianne Abbott called to account

edited

Carlotta's post that I did not initially see refers.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Lord Balls of Outwood, Shadow Chancellor in the House of Lords?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

What is causing Burnham to lose so much ground? As much as he was overpriced before he is looking good value at the moment.

Moses_ said:

Showing a woman in a man's pocket is making a different point altogether and could backfire quite spectacularly.....
    Ok I can see the point. In some way they will need to demonstrate that Balls will be behind the decisions and if she becomes PM balls can also move into No 10. He dosent need to be an MP to cause damage.

Following on then I suspect then every time Dave has go at Mrs Balls the left will frame it as bullying to obscure the lunacy of Yevette and husband and while completely forgetting their venom shot at Thatcher.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited June 2015
    I'm not convinced Balls would be a weakness for Yvette. More worrying is whether she's charismatic enough to make an impact.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,325
    Congrats to BRITISH tennis ace Andy Murray for winning his fourth Queen's Club!
  • Options

Moses_ said:

Mmmm... Interesting point and the "nightmare ticket"
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Moses_ said:

AndyJS said:
    If you lose your job any savings carefully tucked away will be counted against you when claiming any help or benefits. In effect your prudence is penalised as opposed to someone who had a great time, pissed it all up the wall down the pub every night would be fully eligible.
    At the same time Moses (and I don't necessarily disagree) I know families and individuals who have savings, that are reluctant to spend a penny of them when in need. Rather than treat them as the soft landing, they treat everything else as a way of protecting their savings.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288

kle4 said:

Was there ever a time when Abbott talked sense or didn't embarrass herself?

Her ‘42 Days detention speech’ was commendable - and perhaps her finest hour.

The rest of her ~30 years as an MP has been a mixed bag of either barking mad or laziness.
    Her achievements are be found here [].
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    I fail to see any evidence of this at all, Burnham has said he will accept welfare caps and admitted Labour spent too much, Cooper has failed to do that. Burnham gave a confident performance on Sky this morning and Friday's Mori poll showed mid Staffs allegations had had little impact, Burnham still led with Labour voters and voters as a whole. Cooper still could win on preferences, but Burnham still leads for now
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

Mmmm... Interesting point and the "nightmare ticket"
    I think the Tories would be fools to go in hard. However, I think they could subtly play on the suggestion that Labour was more of the same, though, both through Yvette's own position in the last shadow cab (and cab) and, implictly, her husband's.
  • Options
    kle4 Clark actually voted for Ken Clarke in 1997 as he thought Hague 'a shifty bureaucrat who looked like a golfball.' He was a David Davis fan though
  • Options
    Moses No, you can claim contributory JSA for six months regardless of savings, though income related benefits are only provided to those without other savings or income
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited June 2015
    Watched the Diane Abbott interview..disaster.... what a total prat that woman is..
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,007
    This is an excellent piece (for a change) on the Greek crisis: http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/9c27c84c-1751-11e5-8201-cbdb03d71480.html#axzz3dgkzM7r1

• Options
    edited June 2015

Moses_ said:

AndyJS said:
    At the same time Moses (and I don't necessarily disagree) I know families and individuals who have savings, that are reluctant to spend a penny of them when in need. Rather than treat them as the soft landing, they treat everything else as a way of protecting their savings.
    @Mr Rabbit Yes quite I agree you are quite right to point that out.

I was thinking of my situation where I am trying to build up a cash sum before retirement to give us a better time in retirement. The loss of your job now could be critical and eliminate that quite quickly.

@Mr HYUFD thanks and noted but after that 6 months then it's then an issue. I think I would be able to get work quickly but who knows What the situation may be if it happened?

The problem is with Labour the job loss is much more likely and that Spectator graph referenced up thread shows why. Labour have never left power with unemployment lower than when they started. . As I have mentioned previously I have never been unemployed under a Tory or coalition government. I have lost my job 3 times under Labour and on at least one occasion the actions of a union.

It's why I am absolutely anyone, anyone at all even Monster Raving Loony rather than Labour.

By the way did anyone notice Len McLuskey was front and centre of the demo yesterday holding the banner.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    Burnham's lead with voters right now matters little. As noted on here before, a lot of that is related to voter recognition, rather than any clear fanfare for Andy Burnham. I think that Burnham suffers from the same issue Ed Miliband did - that while he might try to talk 'tough' on welfare, immigration he has already been characterised as a 'union man'. Everytime Burnham makes an argument, it seems he's trying to win your heart, as opposed your mind. Given that Labour are trying to win the battle of competence, as opposed to the battle of good intentions, this does not make sense.

As for the Cooper-Balls thing, I'm another one who is not convinced of this as an argument. It essentially implies that a woman doesn't have a mind of her own, and her thoughts/ideas are completely controlled by her husband - which is extraordinarily patronising. I think with Cooper it would be rather difficult to demonize her in the same way the Tories could do to someone like Burnham, and Corbyn.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873
    I think Cooper probably should be favorite.

Would be relatively happy with her as leader.

Anyone but Kendall OK by me.
  • Options

Burnham's lead with voters right now matters little. As noted on here before, a lot of that is related to voter recognition, rather than any clear fanfare for Andy Burnham. I think that Burnham suffers from the same issue Ed Miliband did - that while he might try to talk 'tough' on welfare, immigration he has already been characterised as a 'union man'. Everytime Burnham makes an argument, it seems he's trying to win your heart, as opposed your mind. Given that Labour are trying to win the battle of competence, as opposed to the battle of good intentions, this does not make sense.

As for the Cooper-Balls thing, I'm another one who is not convinced of this as an argument. It essentially implies that a woman doesn't have a mind of her own, and her thoughts/ideas are completely controlled by her husband - which is extraordinarily patronising. I think with Cooper it would be rather difficult to demonize her in the same way the Tories could do to someone like Burnham, and Corbyn.

Would agree.

I am toying with Cooper as first choice.

Heart says Corbyn head says Cooper
  • Options
    Moses Though Labour did have some sensible things to say on giving more in benefits to those had contributed most in NI contributions
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    The Apocalypse Burnham was actually promoted by Blair and his statements on welfare and the deficit have been to the right of Cooper never mind Corbyn. David Miliband led at this stage in the polls too and indeed narrowly won the members vote, but lost the union members vote, had he been leader in 2015 Cameron may not have got a majority

Blair was able to win hearts as well as minds, at least pre Iraq and even Cameron communicated better than Ed's wonkese
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

This is an excellent piece (for a change) on the Greek crisis: http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/9c27c84c-1751-11e5-8201-cbdb03d71480.html#axzz3dgkzM7r1

I don't like the idea of the debt just being written off. someone has earned that money and lent it. What about them. Meanwhile those that took a different course and tried to run the economies sensibly are in effect going to be picking up the costs of any write off or alternatively any further bailouts.

I am not a financial person but I am quite fed up with countries and people who can borrow vast sums then demand they are written off as their people retire mid 50's while the rest of us retire mid 60's and close to 70's. Even to me this is an unsustainable model as who is next to hold out the cap? Italy? Spain? Who?

I wonder if the guy that penned this is going to be Balls boss? Anyone who would employ Balls may be questionable themselves even though a US Treasury secretary.

"The writer is Charles W Eliot university professor at Harvard and a former US Treasury secretary."
  • Options

"It essentially implies that a woman doesn't have a mind of her own, and her thoughts/ideas are completely controlled by her husband - which is extraordinarily patronising."

See what I mean .....even an inference that she might listen and be guided by hubby who claims to be a financial guru gets this sort of reaction. I was not patronising the woman I was merely pointing out a reality of life that she may well be guided by hubby but thank you for proving and demonstrating my principal point so eloquently.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,984
    Moses_ said:

rcs1000 said:

I don't like the idea of the debt just being written off. someone has earned that money and lent it. What about them. Meanwhile those that took a different course and tried to run the economies sensibly are in effect going to be picking up the costs of any write off or alternatively any further bailouts.

I am not a financial person but I am quite fed up with countries and people who can borrow vast sums then demand they are written off as their people retire mid 50's while the rest of us retire mid 60's and close to 70's. Even to me this is an unsustainable model as who is next to hold out the cap? Italy? Spain? Who?

I wonder if the guy that penned this is going to be Balls boss? Anyone who would employ Balls may be questionable themselves even though a US Treasury secretary.

"The writer is Charles W Eliot university professor at Harvard and a former US Treasury secretary."
    It's never going to be repaid. Better to accept that now and help Greece start again or inflict more years of pain until it becomes even more obvious....
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013
    Moses_ said:

DavidL said:

Moses_ said:

Ok I can see the point. In some way they will need to demonstrate that Balls will be behind the decisions
    Do you think this is a sexist statement, at all?
  • Options
    @Moses_ I was just pointing out how it is going to come across if the Tories frame that argument. And it's completely different thing for Cooper to go Balls for advice sometimes, as opposed to him being the one 'behind decisions'. It implies that Cooper is merely a puppet for her husbands' own leadership desires, as if she had no political beliefs before meeting Ed Balls.

@HYUFD I'm not doubting where politically Burnham's statements are at. I'm saying that despite that, because he has been characterised as left-wing, union man that tag will stick. As for Cooper, so far as she been the candidate to avoid defining herself too much. Where Labour would go under leadership politically is unknown. Yes, Blair did win hearts and minds. The trouble is, as I said previously the way Burnham comes across he is only winning hearts.
  • Options
    eek said:

Moses_ said:

rcs1000 said:

It's never going to be repaid. Better to accept that now and help Greece start again or inflict more years of pain until it becomes even more obvious....
    I know ........but they took the money, they spent it and they probably knew it was unlikely to be paid back certainly later on anyway.

It's not specifically the Greek people I have an issue or even this latest government who have to all intents and purposes been passed the poisoned chalice though they are on a platform that makes it more difficult to resolve. The problem I have is with the entire EU project that created this unholy mess, the continuous fudging to cover this unholy mess and and a mess they were warned about more than 30 years ago.

Meanwhile we still have to shell out for countries that effectively snub their nose at us when we ask for changes. Germany appears to be far more exposed than we are but I don't expect the German people to be impressed either. Greece should never have be allowed to join in the first place and needs to be cut free. Most commentators now seem to agree that this is the best option even if the debts are not collected even partly .
  • Options
    HopiSenHopiSen Posts: 48
    To offer a partial defence of Diane Abbott -although I strongly disagree with her policies, there's no doubt that she was right that a decade or so the education system was badly failing black boys. As an individual, I entirely sympathise with her decision to do what was best for her son, and politically, she and other MPs (like eg David Lammy) put the issue on the political agenda - they deserve credit for that.

Of course, what happened after that is that a policy agenda she almost entirely opposed was able to transform education, especially in cities and London, with some pretty impressive results. Compare the educational performance in say Lambeth with Yarmouth today, and you can see how things have changed in a way many would have said was impossible.
  • Options
    TheApocalypse Corbyn's entry to the race has now made it harder for the media to tar Burnham as the leftwing, pro union candidate. As I said in his statements on welfare and the deficit and the Mansion Tax he is talking with his head and moving from a more leftwing position. In some ways, it may also be helpful for the Labour leader to shore up their leftwing a little to avoid defections to the Greens and lock-out the potential for winning back voters lost to the SNP, while also providing room to go to the centre ground. Kendall has not done the former, Corbyn the latter, Burnham has left scope for both, Cooper too but to a lesser extent. Either Andy B or Cooper would be significant improvements for Labour in my view on Ed M
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    EPG said:

Moses_ said:

DavidL said:

Moses_ said:

Ok I can see the point. In some way they will need to demonstrate that Balls will be behind the decisions
    This is the classic left wing approach to shut down the discussion. It previously was the word racist which was used to very great effect.

I suggested that she would listen to he husband a self declared guru, a big beast in the Labour Party even though and XMP a person who was shadow chancellor and a potential chancellor but was shown to be so consistently wrong on just about everything.

I would suggest that your comment again shows the validity of my original point. It's started already with the "sexist" inference just as previously the "racist" inference. It's what's going to happen and it just needs to be pointed out. Meanwhile it's rather amusing when you consider the the sexist abuse from the left thrown at Thatcher even now 25 years later and even after her death has never abated.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    EPG said:

Moses_ said:

DavidL said:

Moses_ said:

No
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    eek said:

Moses_ said:

rcs1000 said:

There is no reason the debt can't be managed. Debt doesn't have to be repaid immediately as this is a national debt not a payday loan - the repayment and interest loan schedule has to be met. After all the bailouts the loan schedule Greece has is based on incredibly, incredibly generous terms. Interest costs are only 3% of GDP (lower than most countries with much lower debt rates). That is neither exhorbitant nor unreasonable. Plus this is based on a very long maturity for most of these loans.

If Greece took a few sensible decisions like raising retirement ages away from 50s and making labour reforms that allow the unemployed to work instead. Then then there is no reason growth couldn't return and these payments could be met. All they have to do is cover the incredibly generous interest portions in the meantime.

If GDP/capita could be raised from current Greek levels to current British levels (even without counting future British growth) then that would transform debt from 180% of GDP to being "just" 90%.

Greece needs a Thatcher and instead it has a Foot. That is the problem.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

rcs1000 said:

The role of the IMF, throughout history, has been to offer credit to countries who are unable to get it any other way, and to do so at a price they can afford.

The quid pro quo for access to credit is reform. Essentially, we will rescue you and in return you will need to run your economy in a sensible manner. Until the Eurozone crisis, this was considered perfectly normal. Since the Eurozone crisis, AEP and others have called this an unacceptable breach of sovereignty. Strangely, they were silent when the IMF made demands of other governments.

The specific issue with Greece is that it does not have a properly functioning democracy. Politicians of all hues have lied to their population. SYRIZA, which promises no austerity, no balanced budgets, no labour market reform, and no privatizations... yet with Euro membership... is just the biggest of a whole bunch of liars.

If the IMF and the Eurozone let Greece go to the wall, it will become a failed state in Europe. On the one hand, this will seriously dent the electoral chances of political parties who want to go the SYRIZA way (Podemos in Spain was down at just 12.1% in the latest Spanish opinion poll, suggesting that SYRIZA is not currently doing left wing insurgent parties much good.) But on the other, it is not good for the Greek people and it is not good for us in the UK.
  • Options
    This Labour leader contest is absolutely delicious..not an ounce of political talent among them and they are all bidding to become the LOTO....very funny.
  • Options
    @HYUFD - It's made it harder, but not impossible. In 2010 for example, Diane Abbott was one of the candidates to run for leader. Now she was clearly more left-wing than Ed Miliband, but the characterisation of Miliband as 'Red Ed' was completely and utterly effective. Why? Because it was not being done relation to a no-hoper like Abbott (and now Corbyn) but his brother David, and the political narrative set-out by the coalition. It this political narrative which was far more widely known to the public, than the internal politics of Labour and it is why 'Red Ed' stuck. It'll be the same reason, why Burnham's image as a 'union man' is likely to stick, too. Cooper has not yet clearly defined herself, Kendall is well to the right of Labour and the only candidate Burnham looks to right of is Corbyn.

Burnham may well be attempting to talk with his head in regard to his immigration/welfare statements, but the trouble is the way he comes across. He manages to take these 'tough talking' issues and emote his way through arguments. I'm not saying Labour should be right-wing on every stance - on certain issues such as public service provision, being sceptical of the private sector isn't exactly an unpopular position. It's being able to do the triangulation that Blair once did, effectively. I think Kendall is trying to do that but is failing - and ends up coming off as an imitator of government policy. When Blair was winning over hearts and minds, the advantage Blair had was that he had the background of someone from Middle England, and therefore in tune with the small 'c' conservative nature of swing voters. Therefore the depictions of him as 'Bambi' etc didn't work.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

I know ........but they took the money, they spent it and they probably knew it was unlikely to be paid back certainly later on anyway.

It's not specifically the Greek people I have an issue or even this latest government who have to all intents and purposes been passed the poisoned chalice though they are on a platform that makes it more difficult to resolve. The problem I have is with the entire EU project that created this unholy mess, the continuous fudging to cover this unholy mess and and a mess they were warned about more than 30 years ago.

Meanwhile we still have to shell out for countries that effectively snub their nose at us when we ask for changes. Germany appears to be far more exposed than we are but I don't expect the German people to be impressed either. Greece should never have be allowed to join in the first place and needs to be cut free. Most commentators now seem to agree that this is the best option even if the debts are not collected even partly .

If the Greek government had been elected on an "exit the Euro, end the pain" platform, I think we would have the greatest sympathy with them. It would almost certainly be the right thing for them to do.

But they weren't. SYRIZA wants the impossible. And doesn't understand why Germans won't work until they are 70 to pay for them to retire at 55.

It is worth remembering in all of this, that a Euro exit would be functionally equivalent to a one-off 40% tax on everyone's bank accounts.
  • Options

This Labour leader contest is absolutely delicious..not an ounce of political talent among them and they are all bidding to become the LOTO....very funny.

Thought you might have liked Kendall
  • Options

eek said:

Moses_ said:

rcs1000 said:

There is no reason the debt can't be managed. Debt doesn't have to be repaid immediately as this is a national debt not a payday loan - the repayment and interest loan schedule has to be met. After all the bailouts the loan schedule Greece has is based on incredibly, incredibly generous terms. Interest costs are only 3% of GDP (lower than most countries with much lower debt rates). That is neither exhorbitant nor unreasonable. Plus this is based on a very long maturity for most of these loans.

If Greece took a few sensible decisions like raising retirement ages away from 50s and making labour reforms that allow the unemployed to work instead. Then then there is no reason growth couldn't return and these payments could be met. All they have to do is cover the incredibly generous interest portions in the meantime.

If GDP/capita could be raised from current Greek levels to current British levels (even without counting future British growth) then that would transform debt from 180% of GDP to being "just" 90%.

The best thing for Greece would be to leave the Euro and pursue sensible economic policies.

Then second best thing for Greece would be stay in the Euro and pursue sensible economic policies.

The very worst thing for Greece is for it to crash out the Euro in a disorganised manner while attempting to pursue Chavez-ian economic policies. And then get hounded in the world's courts for money in Euros and Dollars it cannot afford to repay.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    bigjohnowls Watched Corbyn,s speech at the rally and Abbotts debacle on TV today..He is a real throwback and seh is beyond parody..these are the so called elite of the party..dear oh dear..how sad it has become.
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    how do others see Cooper?
    In the main comment, TSE talks about the Cons shouldnt attack her about her health history. Of course they shouldnt, he is right, it would look nasty, but for those who are wanting her to lead her party and then her country, is it a legitimate factor to be considered (not to attack her, just whether it would hinder her ability to do the job).

Many people have suffered mental and psychiatric disorders, recovered, and went on to live their lives. Indeed Churchill was said to suffer from very deep bouts of depression.

But like it or not, this has to be considered.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    rcs1000 said:

The best thing for Greece would be to leave the Euro and pursue sensible economic policies.

Then second best thing for Greece would be stay in the Euro and pursue sensible economic policies.

The very worst thing for Greece is for it to crash out the Euro in a disorganised manner while attempting to pursue Chavez-ian economic policies. And then get hounded in the world's courts for money in Euros and Dollars it cannot afford to repay.
    I'd probably switch one and two but only narrowly and otherwise 100% agreed. Option two is only slightly better I think due to the extreme costs Grexit devaluation would have (Greek entry to the euro was a mistake, but that doesn't mean Grexit is ideal).
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    rcs1000 said:

And doesn't understand why Germans won't work until they are 70 to pay for them to retire at 55.

Presumably anyone telling the German population that would be misinforming them.

'n 2013 the Greek Finance Minister at the time, Yannis Stournaras, agreed to raise the retirement age by two years to 67.
    Despite this, however, Greek men still retire at 63 and women at 59, according to Greek government data.
    By comparison, in Germany, the average retirement age for those receiving an old age pension in 2014 was 64 years according to Reuters.'

http://tinyurl.com/ojclckz

• Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    I have made an interesting discovery today: wine gums and wine do not go together - the resulting taste is revolting. I had to get a beer to get rid of it.

My wife and daughter took me out to a very filling Father's Day Lunch. They know my weaknesses and got me lots of Maynard's Wine Gums and real English Cadbury's chocolate and fruit and nut - not the crap that Hersheys puts out under the Cadbury name. My daughter also got me a USGA membership.

So now I'm home and watching the final round of the US Open, and enjoying a glass of wine. Without thinking I opened a box of wine gums and - yech....

Happy fathers Day everyone!
  • Options
    edited June 2015

bigjohnowls Watched Corbyn,s speech at the rally and Abbotts debacle on TV today..He is a real throwback and seh is beyond parody..these are the so called elite of the party..dear oh dear..how sad it has become.

i think Andrew Neil is superb he just knows the tired lines they are going to try and plug and beats them to it. It was all 'Yeah but', 'yeah but'.

Her belief that because Corbyn went down very well at the hustings, means we are in for a massive upset is extraordinary in its naivety. It's the classic "everyone i know is voting Labour so we are bound to win". But from someone so experienced in politics it is a bit disturbing.

I be she really cant comprehend how the Conservatives managed to get a majority.
  • Options
    notme said:

how do others see Cooper?
    In the main comment, TSE talks about the Cons shouldnt attack her about her health history. Of course they shouldnt, he is right, it would look nasty, but for those who are wanting her to lead her party and then her country, is it a legitimate factor to be considered (not to attack her, just whether it would hinder her ability to do the job).

Many people have suffered mental and psychiatric disorders, recovered, and went on to live their lives. Indeed Churchill was said to suffer from very deep bouts of depression.

But like it or not, this has to be considered.

It is true - he used to call it his 'black dog'.
  • Options

Thought you might have liked Kendall
    She has the ideas, but lacks the sparkle from experience. That can come though. She is dangerous because the first thing she is going to do is park her tanks on Cameron's lawn. But this isnt 1994. Labour's left flank is vulnerable, I cant see how she can win back Scotland by sticking in centre ground.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 As you will see from the very first comment on the Summers piece on the FT site, I did not think so. It is a very US-centric view which fails to take account the costs of a bad deal re the rest of the PIIGS. Of course the US wants the rest of Europe to pick up the tab. But unless the Greeks are willing to undertake the types of economic and budgetary reforms to allow their economy to become competitive, grow and fund a sustainable budget, no-one should be bailing them out this time.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

And doesn't understand why Germans won't work until they are 70 to pay for them to retire at 55.

Presumably anyone telling the German population that would be misinforming them.

'n 2013 the Greek Finance Minister at the time, Yannis Stournaras, agreed to raise the retirement age by two years to 67.
    Despite this, however, Greek men still retire at 63 and women at 59, according to Greek government data.
    By comparison, in Germany, the average retirement age for those receiving an old age pension in 2014 was 64 years according to Reuters.'

I was referring specifically to civil service pensions in Greece.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,442
    Related to the topic of where Labour will go next.. On the subject of Conservative policy....

All the focus is on the £12Bn planned cuts in benefits (Boo Hiss etc)

It occurs to me that there are two further policies that Osbourne has

a) implemented in the past
    b) spoken of as future aspirations

that will be an interesting counter-balancing narrative.

Neither of which involve spending money (or reducing tax take)...
  • Options
    DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106

rcs1000 said:

@Theuniondivvie How terribly cruel of you to confuse us all with the facts.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Moses No, you can claim contributory JSA for six months regardless of savings, though income related benefits are only provided to those without other savings or income

Not in this case though, he was self employed. No contributory JSA...
  • Options

Related to the topic of where Labour will go next.. On the subject of Conservative policy....

Go on then, wet our appetite...
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    TheApocalypse Yet in 2010 the final two were Ed Miliband and David Miliband and David Miliband led his brother in the polls amongst voters as a whole. In a contest between Burnham and Cooper, which will be the final 2 Kendall is third at best in all polls, Burnham is presently ahead and on issues like the deficit and welfare his statements are to the right of Coopers. As someone with a lower middle class, working class northern background, educated at a Catholic Comp followed by Cambridge he can communicate more effectively with swing voters in the likes of Nuneaton, Crawley, Worcester and Scarborough and Blackpool than Ed, son of a millionaire Marxist intellectual from north London ever could
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    MTimT said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 As you will see from the very first comment on the Summers piece on the FT site, I did not think so. It is a very US-centric view which fails to take account the costs of a bad deal re the rest of the PIIGS. Of course the US wants the rest of Europe to pick up the tab. But unless the Greeks are willing to undertake the types of economic and budgetary reforms to allow their economy to become competitive, grow and fund a sustainable budget, no-one should be bailing them out this time.
    It is indeed but then Larry Summers is a stand up guy. If the US wishes to bribe the Greeks to go against their own interests then they will have to pay for it themselves.

http://www.institutionalinvestor.com/Article.aspx?ArticleId=1020662#.VYcICb1wbqB
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Silly me with my non-telepathic abilities.

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,997

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Was it not stated that bakers and hairdressers can retire at 50
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    "Greeks retire early.
    The figure of 53 years old as an average retirement age is being bandied about. So much, in fact, that it is being seen as fact. The figure actually originates from a lazy comment on the NY Times website. It was then repeated by Fox News and printed on other publications. Greek civil servants have the option to retire after 17.5 years of service, but this is on half benefits.

The figure of 53 is a misinformed conflation of the number of people who choose to do this (in most cases to go on to different careers) and those who stay in public service until their full entitlement becomes available"

https://sturdyblog.wordpress.com/2011/06/18/democracy-vs-mythology-the-battle-in-syntagma-square/

Alternate sources are welcomed. I'd like alternate data on this, if possible.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Not by me it wasn't!
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I'm sorry: I wasn't clear.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,325
    O/T (or maybe on-topic NHS-wise)

A & E was really quiet in Romford today, my dad (who has had bouts of breathlessness of late) was seen within half an hour or so, and all tests done in less than 4 hours. He's back home and doing OK, for the moment.

Maybe being a Sunday helped.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,997
    rcs1000 said:

malcolmg said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Not by me it wasn't!
    I know not you Robert , but there were articles some time ago about hairdressers and pastry chefs being able to retire at 50 due to their jobs. Mind you also said many civil servants did not turn up for many years , did other jobs etc , and only came back later to get organised to retire.
  • Options

A & E was really quiet in Romford today, my dad (who has had bouts of breathlessness of late) was seen within half an hour or so, and all tests done in less than 4 hours. He's back home and doing OK, for the moment.

Has he been reading or watching 50 shades of grey?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    rcs1000 said:

Moses_ said:

rcs1000 said:

The role of the IMF, throughout history, has been to offer credit to countries who are unable to get it any other way, and to do so at a price they can afford.

The quid pro quo for access to credit is reform. Essentially, we will rescue you and in return you will need to run your economy in a sensible manner. Until the Eurozone crisis, this was considered perfectly normal. Since the Eurozone crisis, AEP and others have called this an unacceptable breach of sovereignty. Strangely, they were silent when the IMF made demands of other governments.

The specific issue with Greece is that it does not have a properly functioning democracy. Politicians of all hues have lied to their population. SYRIZA, which promises no austerity, no balanced budgets, no labour market reform, and no privatizations... yet with Euro membership... is just the biggest of a whole bunch of liars.

If the IMF and the Eurozone let Greece go to the wall, it will become a failed state in Europe. On the one hand, this will seriously dent the electoral chances of political parties who want to go the SYRIZA way (Podemos in Spain was down at just 12.1% in the latest Spanish opinion poll, suggesting that SYRIZA is not currently doing left wing insurgent parties much good.) But on the other, it is not good for the Greek people and it is not good for us in the UK.
    Greece has an alternative suitor, in the shape of Russia.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Who will probably make lots of promises then leave her at the altar.

What's the price of oil again?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

Moses_ said:

rcs1000 said:

Russia could manage the interest but not the principal without real domestic hardship.

Though a Billion Euro or so a month flowing from Putin's coffers to the ECB could be interesting. Without Greek reformation they would have to cough up for a long time.
  • Options
    edited June 2015

Mornings are the best time to go to A/E. Shorter queues and fewer drunks (though a number with hangovers and injuries from the night before).
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    The Labour party has to start again by first admitting past mistakes, and then moving on with a completely fresh Leadership team untainted by that recent past. Liz Kendell and Stella Creasy are their only options if they want to really start that process, they also happen to both be very good media performers who can only grow in stature on the job. If the likes of Burnham, Cooper or Watson were not the answer in 2010, they ain't going to be the answer to Labour's current woes going forward in 2015.

Its worth remembering just how poor the Conservative Leadership choice offered up to their membership was back after their defeat in 2001. It took three GE defeats, two Leadership contests and a coronation before the Conservative membership were finally able to vote to break away from their past mistakes in 2005. And even then, it still took another two GE's to finally win that elusive majority. The Labour party cannot again just complacently assume that their political fortunes are going to automatically improve whoever they chose to lead them simple because the Conservatives are now in Government with a small majority.

After Labour's poor performance in the 2011 Holyrood election and their subsequent near wipe out in Scotland at the GE, its also going to be interesting to see what happens to Labour in Wales at next years elections. You still get the sense of real Labour complacency in Wales, and this despite the fact that it was the post GE devolved elections that first heralded the depth of Scottish Labour's local problems. I know one thing right now, both Labour in Wales and the SNP in Scotland are fast proving that neither the NHS or Education is safer in their hands than it would be under the Conservatives. Its not just Labour at Westminster and in Scotland who need to fast get their act together, Welsh Labour could still prove to be a real sting in the tail after the GE defeat.

• Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited June 2015
    Average effective age of labour market exit according to OCED "Pensions at a glance" briefings (2007-12)

Portugal 68.4 for men and 66.4 for women
    Sweden 66.1/64.2
    Ireland 64.6/62.6
    UK 63.7/63.2
    Netherlands 63.6/62.3
    Spain 62.3/63.2
    Germany 62.1/61.6
    Greece 61.9/60.3
    Italy 61.1/60.5
    France 59.7/60
    Belgium 59.6/58.7
    Luxemburg 57.6/59.6
  • Options

Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

Moses_ said:

rcs1000 said:

Russia could manage the interest but not the principal without real domestic hardship.

Though a Billion Euro or so a month flowing from Putin's coffers to the ECB could be interesting. Without Greek reformation they would have to cough up for a long time.
    Ive just had a very naughty thought about the ultimate dream irony. Greece accepting bail out money from Russia in return for pro market reforms....
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,442
    notme said:

1) he will increase the starting point of income tax again - 90% certain on this - paid for by modifying the higher rate bands. "Taking x hundred thousand working poor out of income tax altogether" - that't the pitch.

2) Minimum wage increase - with low inflation and profitability in economy, could easily put in an increase. My guess is in the 25p+ range. 70% certain on this.

The idea would (or will) be to sell that package as moving the system away from tax credits and welfare to to the employed poor, to letting them keep their own money.
  • Options
    Poor Russell Brand:
    “You’re a turncoat, Brand… sell us a book on revolution and then tell us to vote Labour… f**k off back to Miliband you tw*t.”

The problem for Russell is he sells ideological purity. But as soon as you try to interface purity with reality you lose that distinctive quality you are selling.

It's no that Brand did anything wrong. From his perspective he was talking to a guy who could be PM in a few days.

http://order-order.com/#_@/Vg8vQN4GTnJKpQ
  • Options

notme said:

1) he will increase the starting point of income tax again - 90% certain on this - paid for by modifying the higher rate bands. "Taking x hundred thousand working poor out of income tax altogether" - that't the pitch.

2) Minimum wage increase - with low inflation and profitability in economy, could easily put in an increase. My guess is in the 25p+ range. 70% certain on this.

The idea would (or will) be to sell that package as moving the system away from tax credits and welfare to to the employed poor, to letting them keep their own money.
    Its going to be a tough sell for those who are used to quaffing at the cup of tax credits. At that bottom of the income scale they are shockingly generous. But tax credits will disappear as universal credit is rolled out.

Thats why UC is shockingly expensive, it wasn designed to roll back benefits/credits but to distribute them in a way that is more responsive.

I think many who are on big tax credits know they are on borrowed time with them, and enjoying them while they can.
  • Options
    franklynfranklyn Posts: 297
    My bet on Corbyn looks better with ever passing day; the only candidate to give a coherent account of what he wants, i.e a permanent Conservative government for his to rail against
  • Options
    fitalass said:

The Labour party has to start again by first admitting past mistakes, and then moving on with a completely fresh Leadership team untainted by that recent past. Liz Kendell and Stella Creasy are their only options if they want to really start that process, they also happen to both be very good media performers who can only grow in stature on the job. If the likes of Burnham, Cooper or Watson were not the answer in 2010, they ain't going to be the answer to Labour's current woes going forward in 2015.

Its worth remembering just how poor the Conservative Leadership choice offered up to their membership was back after their defeat in 2001. It took three GE defeats, two Leadership contests and a coronation before the Conservative membership were finally able to vote to break away from their past mistakes in 2005. And even then, it still took another two GE's to finally win that elusive majority. The Labour party cannot again just complacently assume that their political fortunes are going to automatically improve whoever they chose to lead them simple because the Conservatives are now in Government with a small majority.

After Labour's poor performance in the 2011 Holyrood election and their subsequent near wipe out in Scotland at the GE, its also going to be interesting to see what happens to Labour in Wales at next years elections. You still get the sense of real Labour complacency in Wales, and this despite the fact that it was the post GE devolved elections that first heralded the depth of Scottish Labour's local problems. I know one thing right now, both Labour in Wales and the SNP in Scotland are fast proving that neither the NHS or Education is safer in their hands than it would be under the Conservatives. Its not just Labour at Westminster and in Scotland who need to fast get their act together, Welsh Labour could still prove to be a real sting in the tail after the GE defeat.

I agree. Kendall and Creasy are the best ticket. Though Ben Bradshaw not a bad DL choice.

Cooper is tainted by Balls/Brown economics, but not by marriage. She consistently refuses to say that Labour overspent in the Brown years and was Chief Sec to the Treasury for the worst years of the financial crisis. It is one of several ways that she has underperformed over her years in parliament.

The only thing in her favour is that I make a nice profit on Betfair if she beats Burnham!
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    I think I would vote for Flint in the Deputy election.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Fitalass Had the Tories picked Ken Clarke in 2001 they may well have got a hung parliament in 2005, Burnham and Cooper were not leading the party in 2015 Ed Miliband was and I have seen no evidence Kendall is a particularly good media performer, OK, but I thought Burnham came across better in his Marr interview than she did, she has also not even been a Shadow Cabinet Minister, even IDS was Shadow Defence Secretary. Wales has voted Labour at every general election since 1918, it is not going to stop now
  • Options
    Welsh Labour have 8 AMs set to retire next year. So they have a fairly good opportunity to renew themselves brining in some new faces or ideas.

The Welsh Assembly vs Westminster relationship within Welsh Labour have been different compared to the dynamics within SLAB. It hit them in 1999 but they dealt with it pretty quickly with Morgan replacing Alun Michael. They were possibly helped by the lack of a big number of high profile Westminster figures within Welsh Labour in very recent years apart from Peter Hain. I mean, their 2 main Westminster MPs right now are Owen Smith and Chris Brynat ...not exactly Gordon Brown, Dougie or Murphy.
    So it is not seen as "dominated" by Westminster as SLAB has been. However, they could have "perception" problems, but I think a different perception problem that SLAB had/have.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,465
    HYUFD said:

Fitalass Had the Tories picked Ken Clarke in 2001 they may well have got a hung parliament in 2005, Burnham and Cooper were not leading the party in 2015 Ed Miliband was and I have seen no evidence Kendall is a particularly good media performer, OK, but I thought Burnham came across better in his Marr interview than she did, she has also not even been a Shadow Cabinet Minister, even IDS was Shadow Defence Secretary. Wales has voted Labour at every general election since 1918, it is not going to stop now

If Clarke had been leader, there would have been a non-too-insignificant risk that he would have ripped the party apart on Europe.
  • Options
    no12 Had Clarke been Tory leader he would have won over many of the anti Iraq War voters who voted for Kennedy's LDs, as for Europe he could have allowed a free vote, the Tories were not in government so he would not have been signing any treaties