Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The LAB leadership: Liz Kendall is taking the lion’s share

Comments

• Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Welcome and congrats on your winnings!
    Cromwell said:

I have just joined this website and so it's only fair and proper that I introduce myself !
    I usually post at the Guardian where I repeatedly , almost on a daily bases , predicted a TORY MAJORITY for 6 months before the election ; I had enough confidence to bet a large amount of money on it and naturally won big time ...I was never more than 65-70% confident on a Tory majority , but was 100% confident of Cameron winning the most seats ; this I used as a foundation bet back in December @ 5/4 from Ladbrokes and used that as a guarantor of the more risky bet @ 5-1 at other bookies ...I placed over 40 bets at various bookies over the next few months and won them all !

Here is my final prediction before the election ......and so it came to pass !

1 May 2015 07:19

Recommend

A WEEK IS A LONG TIME IN POLITICS

Cameron is going to win a majority ...it's bloody obvious !
    Labour are a sinking ship fatally holed below the waterline by the infamous SNPee ; poor Miliband has already received the ''kiss of death '' from Lady Macbeth in the last debate when she insisted that ''we together can lock the Tories out '' ...no wonder Miliband is trying his best to deny it as he knows intuitively that it would signal the end for both him and the Labour party
    The witless sturgeon is too narrow minded to grasp just how the SNP are feared and loathed in middle England and is not even slightly aware that she is providing Cameron with his majority
    The polls are neck and neck as the voters make up their minds but soon we shall she the mother of all late swings as it suddenly dawns upon the voters in England the dangers they are in ; indeed , a weak Labour party propped up by a nationalist separatist party from Scotland will be enough to frighten the dead ...it is not over yet but it soon will be as those renegade Tories flirting with UKIP will be spooked back to save the day for Cameron

• Options
    DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106

In the 14th century, nearly a thousand years after the Western Empire fell, Cola di Rienzi became the last tribune of Rome: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cola_di_Rienzo

Thank you - that was an interesting read!

He's not entirely forgotten. At least he has a fizzy soft beverage named after him. ;-)
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,972
    edited June 2015

Mr. Disraeli, I hope that 1860 committee has had some new members appointed, otherwise I fear productivity may be on the low side.

In the 14th century, nearly a thousand years after the Western Empire fell, Cola di Rienzi became the last tribune of Rome: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cola_di_Rienzo

There's a chapter about him at the end of Gibbon's Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire.

You'll be delighted to know, I've written some threads for the next week, one features Nick Clegg as King Leonidas, and another one talks about Helen of Troy/Sparta (though I call her a Greek)
  • Options
    Re that LabourList article - I couldn't finish reading it. I had my knuckles in my mouth.

Is Brian Barder EdM's mum?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,058
    Mr. Disraeli, indeed, though history has sadly forgotten his one-time deadly rival Pepsi di Firenze.

Mr. Eagles, not sure about the Leonidas comparison, given he knew he was going to die and was cool with that.

Miss Plato, I hope ColinW's Mum makes a return. She's one of the best contributors.
  • Options
    I can barely recall ColinW - his mum was much more memorable :smiley:

Mr. Disraeli, indeed, though history has sadly forgotten his one-time deadly rival Pepsi di Firenze.

Mr. Eagles, not sure about the Leonidas comparison, given he knew he was going to die and was cool with that.

Miss Plato, I hope ColinW's Mum makes a return. She's one of the best contributors.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,219
    Cromwell said:

I have just joined this website and so it's only fair and proper that I introduce myself !
    I usually post at the Guardian where I repeatedly , almost on a daily bases , predicted a TORY MAJORITY for 6 months before the election ; I had enough confidence to bet a large amount of money on it and naturally won big time ...I was never more than 65-70% confident on a Tory majority , but was 100% confident of Cameron winning the most seats ; this I used as a foundation bet back in December @ 5/4 from Ladbrokes and used that as a guarantor of the more risky bet @ 5-1 at other bookies ...I placed over 40 bets at various bookies over the next few months and won them all !

Recommend

Labour are a sinking ship fatally holed below the waterline by the infamous SNPee ; poor Miliband has already received the ''kiss of death '' from Lady Macbeth in the last debate when she insisted that ''we together can lock the Tories out '' ...no wonder Miliband is trying his best to deny it as he knows intuitively that it would signal the end for both him and the Labour party
    The witless sturgeon is too narrow minded to grasp just how the SNP are feared and loathed in middle England and is not even slightly aware that she is providing Cameron with his majority
    The polls are neck and neck as the voters make up their minds but soon we shall she the mother of all late swings as it suddenly dawns upon the voters in England the dangers they are in ; indeed , a weak Labour party propped up by a nationalist separatist party from Scotland will be enough to frighten the dead ...it is not over yet but it soon will be as those renegade Tories flirting with UKIP will be spooked back to save the day for Cameron

Welcome. Shame you weren't around at the time to give JackW a bit of company in his crusade for EMWNBPM - "Ed Miliband Will Never Be Prime Minister"!
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,924
    edited June 2015
    Financier said:

On another website I frequent, someone wrote this yesterday:

"One of the things that has been very noticeable since Election Day is how the more leftwing Labour supporters are starting to rewrite the result not as a shocking defeat, but almost as a narrow, nip and tuck affair where outside influences such as Murdoch and so on, conspired to ensure they were robbed.

The Tories 36.9% share is slowly being manipulated down, as Labour supporters spend their days consulting their maths books to concoct ever more elaborate methods of massaging the scale of the defeat downwards. I confidently expect that by Christmas some clever CiFer or HuffPoster will have proved Labour won. In the meantime the Tories will get on will have to fall back on just running the country. "

and today:

http://labourlist.org/2015/06/dear-ed-an-open-letter-of-congratulations-to-ed-miliband/

Amazing.

Is this letter a joke? It certainly can be read like one. Although those living in fear of the 8th July budget aren't laughing.
    This letter is not a joke. There are so many people who feel that HMG is entitled to keep them housed, clothed and fed according to their personal circumstances and without any personal responsibility, that they are squealing like mad at the prospect at having to work for their living and provide for themselves.

The same thinking applies to those who believe that economic immigrants should be entitled to the UK level of benefits and not just to the level (if any) that they would have received in their own country.

It is very nice to save people from drowning in the Med, but nobody seems to have thought of what should be done with them then. If immigrants are going to be rescued by the Navy, clothed and fed and landed in Eirope, then will that not just encourage more to make the trip?
    "There are so many people who feel that HMG is entitled to keep them housed, clothed and fed according to their personal circumstances and without any personal responsibility, that they are squealing like mad at the prospect at having to work for their living and provide for themselves."

Many of them have jobs in banks and quangos.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Looks like the Nat movement is starting to cash in on those greivances:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/celebrity-tv-radio-presenter-lesley-5861097#ICID=sharebar_twitter

"A CELEBRITY TV and radio presenter was paid £1320 to chair a poverty conference.

Journalist Lesley Riddoch hosted the South Lanarkshire Council event that discussed ways to address inequality.

A freedom of information request from our sister paper the Hamilton Advertiser revealed that her fee was the highest paid by the council for a celebrity appearance at any event in the past
    five years.

Scottish Tory MSP Alex Johnstone said yesterday: “It’s so typical of people on that side of the political debate that they would hand-wring for a few hours about poverty – only to take home a king’s ransom in return.

“Many of those looking on thinking the people involved cared would be horrified to see the sums of money exchanged.”"

• Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046

Financier said:

On another website I frequent, someone wrote this yesterday:

"One of the things that has been very noticeable since Election Day is how the more leftwing Labour supporters are starting to rewrite the result not as a shocking defeat, but almost as a narrow, nip and tuck affair where outside influences such as Murdoch and so on, conspired to ensure they were robbed.

The Tories 36.9% share is slowly being manipulated down, as Labour supporters spend their days consulting their maths books to concoct ever more elaborate methods of massaging the scale of the defeat downwards. I confidently expect that by Christmas some clever CiFer or HuffPoster will have proved Labour won. In the meantime the Tories will get on will have to fall back on just running the country. "

and today:

http://labourlist.org/2015/06/dear-ed-an-open-letter-of-congratulations-to-ed-miliband/

Amazing.

Is this letter a joke? It certainly can be read like one. Although those living in fear of the 8th July budget aren't laughing.
    This letter is not a joke. There are so many people who feel that HMG is entitled to keep them housed, clothed and fed according to their personal circumstances and without any personal responsibility, that they are squealing like mad at the prospect at having to work for their living and provide for themselves.

The same thinking applies to those who believe that economic immigrants should be entitled to the UK level of benefits and not just to the level (if any) that they would have received in their own country.

It is very nice to save people from drowning in the Med, but nobody seems to have thought of what should be done with them then. If immigrants are going to be rescued by the Navy, clothed and fed and landed in Eirope, then will that not just encourage more to make the trip?
    "There are so many people who feel that HMG is entitled to keep them housed, clothed and fed according to their personal circumstances and without any personal responsibility, that they are squealing like mad at the prospect at having to work for their living and provide for themselves."

Many of them have jobs in banks and quangos.
    Don't forget the House of Lords, there's a second wave of needy ex-Scottish MPs hoping for a place at the trough. I could think of many better ways to spend £200 million a year.
  • Options
    Why on Earth is a celebrity booked for such an event? I'm gobsmacked. Even if the fee is pretty small beer on PR terms - it's a total mistake to associate paying anyone to chair a meeting about poverty.

WTF were they thinking of?
    TGOHF said:

Looks like the Nat movement is starting to cash in on those greivances:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/celebrity-tv-radio-presenter-lesley-5861097#ICID=sharebar_twitter

"A CELEBRITY TV and radio presenter was paid £1320 to chair a poverty conference.

Journalist Lesley Riddoch hosted the South Lanarkshire Council event that discussed ways to address inequality.

A freedom of information request from our sister paper the Hamilton Advertiser revealed that her fee was the highest paid by the council for a celebrity appearance at any event in the past
    five years.

Scottish Tory MSP Alex Johnstone said yesterday: “It’s so typical of people on that side of the political debate that they would hand-wring for a few hours about poverty – only to take home a king’s ransom in return.

“Many of those looking on thinking the people involved cared would be horrified to see the sums of money exchanged.”"

• Options
    scotslassscotslass Posts: 912
    TGOHF

Even by your standards the jibe at Lesley Riddoch is unfair as is the Record article. She is well known for her work for many causes and charities across Scotland and beyond and her fee from a Council is neither excessive or disproportionate.

Perhaps you would like to list all your own pro bono work for charities?
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352
    Mr Dancer,

"Hmm. Scientist resigns after saying girls in the lab cry, "

Where is Sheldon Cooper when you need him?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,064
    Cromwell said:

Recommend

What an utterly filthy piece of aftertiming for your first post :D

Welcome ! And very well done on your election betting success, hope your wheelbarrow is chock full :D

• Options
    scotslass said:

TGOHF

Even by your standards the jibe at Lesley Riddoch is unfair as is the Record article. She is well known for her work for many causes and charities across Scotland and beyond and her fee from a Council is neither excessive or disproportionate.

Perhaps you would like to list all your own pro bono work for charities?

£1320 for a days work to whine about poverty and greedy bankers ?

She's cashing in on the Nat wave - filling her pockets by wringing her hands at the awfulness of it all whilst submitting a fat invoice.

• Options
    JPJ2

Absolutely correct about Salmond although his demolition of Labour in 2011 was pretty comprehensive and thought extraordinary at the time. His highest election rating was 45 per cent some 8 per cent higher than Camerons and his highest opinion poll rating for the SNP at Westminster was 52 per cent. He inherited a Party which had scored 23 per cent in a Scottish election and 21 per cent in a UK one.

The fact that Sturgeon has achieved 50 per cent in an election and 60 per cent - yes that is correct 60 per cent - in this week's polling is more a measure of how extraodinary she is rather than how ordinary was Salmond's leadership.
  • Options

Miss Plato, font matters a lot. It can help indicate what sort of book you've written (especially on the cover) or make you look like a moron (if you engrave a political tombstone with Arial, for example).

Mr Dancer, I look forward to the list of fonts suitable for political tombstones that would have spared Ed the charge of being moronic. To think, Labour were so close to power, then made a schoolboy error in font selection....
  • Options
    TGOHF

And a list of your own chartiable giving so that we can all compare and contrast?
  • Options
    scotslass said:

TGOHF

And a list of your own chartiable giving so that we can all compare and contrast?

Ooh a dead cat ?

I don't pontificate in the National about the awfulness of Tories, English and their greed week in week out - then charge a poverty conference to turn up.
  • Options
    This is a very sad confession of mine - I used to play Guess The Font with colleagues. I had a Monotype catelogue as a kid and used to copy them out. I wanted to be a graphic designer when I grew up...

My favourites are Helvetica and Verdana... I'm fond of Century Gothic too... I'll stop there

Miss Plato, font matters a lot. It can help indicate what sort of book you've written (especially on the cover) or make you look like a moron (if you engrave a political tombstone with Arial, for example).

Mr Dancer, I look forward to the list of fonts suitable for political tombstones that would have spared Ed the charge of being moronic. To think, Labour were so close to power, then made a schoolboy error in font selection....
  • Options
    DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/jun/11/tony-blair-warns-against-labour-move-to-the-left

As ever, many comments in CiF are priceless.

I yield to nobody in my dislike of Blair, but from some of the comments you would think that nothing done by governments led by him was in any way "Labour".
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191

LabourList's next article writes itself!
  • Options
    Miss Plato, I think Garamond's a nice one [from memory]. Fiddled with them a bit when choosing a few for a reasonably large scale map I made for my WIP.

Mr. Mark, don't be a tinker, I'm just saying that's one more black mark against Miliband, not that it was the silver bullet that thwarted an otherwise glorious campaign.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,848
    I've just read that the Green PArty has added 5,000 new members since the GE. Green Surge 2.
  • Options
    scotslass said:

JPJ2

Absolutely correct about Salmond although his demolition of Labour in 2011 was pretty comprehensive and thought extraordinary at the time. His highest election rating was 45 per cent some 8 per cent higher than Camerons and his highest opinion poll rating for the SNP at Westminster was 52 per cent. He inherited a Party which had scored 23 per cent in a Scottish election and 21 per cent in a UK one.

The fact that Sturgeon has achieved 50 per cent in an election and 60 per cent - yes that is correct 60 per cent - in this week's polling is more a measure of how extraodinary she is rather than how ordinary was Salmond's leadership.

Arguably though, Salmond screwed up when he "joked" about writing Labour's Budget. Much as they might bluster about it not mattering, the SNP would have been in a hugely better position if the Tories had not achieved an overall majority - a majority for which the SNP's buddy-hugging of Ed Miliband was in no small part responsible.

They over-egged the pudding.....
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,930

scotslass said:

JPJ2

Arguably though, Salmond screwed up when he "joked" about writing Labour's Budget. Much as they might bluster about it not mattering, the SNP would have been in a hugely better position if the Tories had not achieved an overall majority - a majority for which the SNP's buddy-hugging of Ed Miliband was in no small part responsible.

Clearly a mistake of hubris, but to be fair understandable. It must have been so exciting in SNP HQ to see canvas returns that indicated a possible clean sweep.
  • Options
    Plato said:

This is a very sad confession of mine - I used to play Guess The Font with colleagues. I had a Monotype catelogue as a kid and used to copy them out. I wanted to be a graphic designer when I grew up...

My favourites are Helvetica and Verdana... I'm fond of Century Gothic too... I'll stop there

Quite a fan of Elephant myself. It has an unfailing sturdiness to it - kinda like the Ian Botham or Mike Gatting of fonts....
  • Options
    I once bought myself the complete Adobe font database - 2500 of them! I was in Heaven.

Plato said:

Quite a fan of Elephant myself. It has an unfailing sturdiness to it - kinda like the Ian Botham or Mike Gatting of fonts....
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Turn up the sound, and I wonder if he made this noise with the teenagers?

https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedUKPol/status/608942606719021056
  • Options
    Disraeli said:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/jun/11/tony-blair-warns-against-labour-move-to-the-left

I yield to nobody in my dislike of Blair, but from some of the comments you would think that nothing done by governments led by him was in any way "Labour".

Blair looks very relaxed in the photo with that article. Maybe he thinks he is about to get his party back? Blair is definitely one of the Lizard People!
  • Options
    Plato said:

I once bought myself the complete Adobe font database - 2500 of them! I was in Heaven.

Plato said:

There'll be a written test later....
  • Options

Disraeli said:

Blair looks very relaxed in the photo with that article. Maybe he thinks he is about to get his party back? Blair is definitely one of the Lizard People!
    Blair has been proven right on the last two Lab leaders being duffers, no wonder he looks smug there.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

scotslass said:

JPJ2

Clearly a mistake of hubris, but to be fair understandable. It must have been so exciting in SNP HQ to see canvas returns that indicated a possible clean sweep.
    "Ed Miliband could be given unconditional support by the Scottish Nationalists to lead the next government, Alex Salmond has said.

In his latest intervention, the former Scottish first minister said that his party would do whatever it took to lock David Cameron out of Downing Street.

He claims that the SNP will wield huge power after the election, enabling it to keep out the Conservatives even if it has no electoral deal with Labour."

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/politics/article4393128.ece

• Options
    Funnily enough, just done a YouGov and had a load of questions about a new type of tea. The packaging was revolting and looked like someone had font sick all over it - I counted 6 on the front of the box.

Plato said:

Plato said:

There'll be a written test later....
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Jonathan said:

scotslass said:

JPJ2

"Ed Miliband could be given unconditional support by the Scottish Nationalists to lead the next government, Alex Salmond has said.

In his latest intervention, the former Scottish first minister said that his party would do whatever it took to lock David Cameron out of Downing Street.

He claims that the SNP will wield huge power after the election, enabling it to keep out the Conservatives even if it has no electoral deal with Labour."

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/politics/article4393128.ece

If you can rely on the SNP for one thing, it is never to know when to STFU.....
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, be fair, most people thought Brown and Miliband were rubbish.
  • Options
    The best thing you'll read today, also perhaps we all misjudged Abu Qatada, bring him back Mrs May

How Isis crippled al-Qaida The inside story of the coup that has brought the world’s most feared terrorist network to the brink of collapse

http://bit.ly/1JGmX47
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    that's enough about fonts [ed]

:lol:
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    edited June 2015

//twitter.com/BuzzFeedUKPol/status/608942606719021056

Scotch Nats proving themselves to be a complete joke.

Presumably this is how they behave in Toytown Parliament north of the border, whilst debating whether to raise parking fines in Balamory.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    I'm depressingly unimpressed by the SNPers at Westminster. They're acting like cocky teenagers who think they know everything - and the grown-ups just look on and roll their eyes.

Hopefully they'll realise shortly that being TNKOTB doesn't make you anything special.
    watford30 said:

Scotch Nats proving themselves to be a complete joke.

Presumably this is how they behaved in Toytown Parliament north of the border, whilst debating whether to raise parking fines in Balamory.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

dr_spyn said:

Hmm. Scientist resigns after saying girls in the lab cry, whereas 'kill all white men' diversity officer goes unpunished.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33090022

Academic freedom is a load of balls, some of his critics should look at themselves and ask is this really the most significant error that a scientist can commit? The charlatans at UEA who were playing around with climate change stats don't seem to have bothered to step down.

If only Tim Hunt's critics have matched his expertise.
    Erm, weren't the UAE team cleared by a Royal Society enquiry, and wasn't the whole furore based on politicians misunderstanding (perhaps deliberately) what was meant by terms like "mathematical trick"?
    Yes.
    "Eight committees investigated the allegations and published reports, finding no evidence of fraud or scientific misconduct.[15] However, the reports called on the scientists to avoid any such allegations in the future by taking steps to regain public confidence in their work, for example by opening up access to their supporting data, processing methods and software, and by promptly honouring freedom of information requests.[16] The scientific consensus that global warming is occurring as a result of human activity remained unchanged throughout the investigations"
    But some people don't like to be confused by the facts.
    Me, for one. I am still really confused by your revelation that "Oslo is the closest railway station to Shetland". Could you explain the one again please?

• Options

The best thing you'll read today, also perhaps we all misjudged Abu Qatada, bring him back Mrs May

How Isis crippled al-Qaida The inside story of the coup that has brought the world’s most feared terrorist network to the brink of collapse

http://bit.ly/1JGmX47

The destruction of Al Qaeda by ISIS reminds me of a certain TV series that's on at the moment. The Taliban are looking like a vicar's tea party right now too :D
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
    dr_spyn said:

Hmm. Scientist resigns after saying girls in the lab cry, whereas 'kill all white men' diversity officer goes unpunished.

Academic freedom is a load of balls, some of his critics should look at themselves and ask is this really the most significant error that a scientist can commit? The charlatans at UEA who were playing around with climate change stats don't seem to have bothered to step down.

There's an article to be written about UCL's rather inconsistent, indeed, hypocritical approach to gender equality. UCL is the college where gender segregation was permitted at certain events to soothe the egos of Islamist speakers and where all too many Islamists with far worse views about women than Dr Hunt are regularly and freely allowed to speak and disseminate their evil views. A few of its students have been so radicalised by such speakers that they have gone on to commit terrorist crimes.

• Options
    Miss Cyclefree, very good point.
  • Options
    Bodes well for Dave and In.

Most Germans want Britain to remain a member of the European Union, though one in five would rather it didn’t

http://bit.ly/1QOmg7J
  • Options
    John Healey pulls out of the Deputy Leader contest

http://labli.st/1IwGEZ2
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    A *Sexismometer* ??? Hilarious. Is that some new dinosaur discovered by the Guardian?
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    OchEye said:

Mention has been made about competitiveness and I would like to throw my three ha'pence into the ring.

France has a high unemployment rate, but exceeds our competiveness. With high wages and high taxes, French industry and services must be exceedingly efficient to make a profit.

Germany is notoriously efficient in manufacturing.

The US has managed to con it's population in to working long hours, few holidays, low pay and conditions with the exception of a very small minority (personally, iI think this is storing up problems for the future)

The UK has a low wage economy where wages are topped up by allowances paid in effect, by PAYE taxpayers, which in turn boosts the profits of the companies, quite a few of which pay very little if any tax in the UK.
    There is no reason for the companies to become efficient let alone competitive if the profit allows high wages to be paid to the executives, and the work force are prepared to to accept the terms and conditions of boring, repetitive work.

The United States has higher wages and income than the United Kingdom, which in turn has higher wages and income than France.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_average_wage
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,982
    Cyclefree said:

dr_spyn said:

There's an article to be written about UCL's rather inconsistent, indeed, hypocritical approach to gender equality. UCL is the college where gender segregation was permitted at certain events to soothe the egos of Islamist speakers and where all too many Islamists with far worse views about women than Dr Hunt are regularly and freely allowed to speak and disseminate their evil views. A few of its students have been so radicalised by such speakers that they have gone on to commit terrorist crimes.

Although I don't know the facts, reading between the lines, it looks very much to me like UCL put a lot of pressure on him to resign.

I have my doubts about whether they'd have done so had he been a strict Muslim professor.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,641

Mr. L, but unemployment isn't a thing of the moment, the issue will continue to exist when labour markets worsen.

Sorry, work getting in the way of more important things like PB again.

I agree that the relationship between the NMW and the state of the economy is something that needs care and review on a regular basis. One of my reservations about the so called living wage is that it seems to completely ignore that link.

At the moment we have 2 major problems. Firstly, thanks to Brown we still have an enormous structural deficit. I honestly believe it to be very close to £100bn. By this stage, 7 years into the cycle, we should be running reasonable surpluses of at least 1% of GDP and arguably more given our higher debt level.

A part of the reasons for that is that we are excessively subsidising employment through WTC, CTC and HB. We just can't afford to do that at the current rate.

The second problem as @Financier points out is that we have very low productivity.

In my view these problems are linked. If you make labour excessively cheap then low productivity becomes tolerable from an employer's point of view because he can still make money from them. If the labour becomes more expensive the employer is incentivised to improve productivity.

If we find that an increased NMW is driving up unemployment either because the demand for labour has fallen or because of the poor productivity issue we can let it drift downwards again in real terms. But at the moment we have a chance to (a) reduce the cost of marginal employment to the state; (b) encourage productivity growth and (c) offset some of the pain of welfare cuts by giving the lowest paid in our society a wage increase.

I will be very disappointed if Osborne does not seize that chance.
  • Options

Seems he wants Stella on the ballot
  • Options

Seems he wants Stella on the ballot
    Well who wouldn't want Stella.

I'd vote for her.

She's done Stellar work (see what did I there) on the modern day usury that is payday loans.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,982
    There are plenty of male scientists in the academic world who are passionate about their research and their science, but who struggle in social situations and can find it hard to read emotions.

On the other hand, when two people work of opposite genders work on an intense project together, by themselves, that intensity can often easily transfer to their personal relationship, which may or may not work, and can certainly complicate things.

I absolutely disagree that labs should be gender segregated and we need more women in science, but I do wish people were less judgemental of this professor and a bit more understanding of som of his personal struggles.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,381
    Financier said:

Why is another Tory government terrible and what would they do differently to improve the UK in the longer term i.e more than five years.

Plenty of people dislike what they believe to be the basic Conservative mindset (help the rich, screw the poor and and maybe it'll filter down to the middle classes) and are dismayed to see them in Government, so they join an opposition party - mostly Labour, though LDs and Greens are up too - in order to oppose it. They don't really need to have a fully-fledged alternative manifesto to make that decision, and no doubt they have varied ideas, some of them more fledged than others. But I'd expect them to be more inclined to ask "How can we defeat the Tories next time?" rather than "How can the party perfectly match my ideological wishes?"

Quite a few of our most durable current people joined in 1992 in a similar frame of mind - it's a useful long-term asset for any party. In an ideal world we'd all have perfectly-formed yet adaptable ideas, but hey.

• Options

Cyclefree said:

dr_spyn said:

Although I don't know the facts, reading between the lines, it looks very much to me like UCL put a lot of pressure on him to resign.

I have my doubts about whether they'd have done so had he been a strict Muslim professor.
    Prof Malcolm Grant has, to my mind, adopted a very "Hear no evil. See no evil" approach to Islamist speakers in his university, to his discredit, frankly, given UCL's own origins and the harm done by them to what UCL ought to be standing for. Dr Hunt may well have been bad mannered, crass and silly but the reaction - by comparison to far more serious "offences" against gender equality - is disproportionate.

• Options
    Armed police hunt for boy, 14, after a teacher is stabbed in the 'chest' before lessons begin at school in Bradford

Male teacher, 50, stabbed shortly before 9am at Dixons Kings Academy
    Was taken to hospital and condition is currently described as 'stable'
    Police are searching for Asian boy who was wearing a blue blazer
    Academy was taken over in January amid fraud claims
    Incident happened less than 20 miles from where teacher Ann Maguire was stabbed to death by pupil last April

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3119720/Police-hunt-boy-14-teacher-stabbed-school-Bradford.html#ixzz3ckgBVCwn
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
  • Options
    Sir Christopher Lee has died

Gutted.
  • Options
    Ron Moody has also died.

Gutted.

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,642
    Plato said:

I'm depressingly unimpressed by the SNPers at Westminster. They're acting like cocky teenagers who think they know everything - and the grown-ups just look on and roll their eyes.

Hopefully they'll realise shortly that being TNKOTB doesn't make you anything special.

watford30 said:

Scotch Nits proving themselves to be a complete joke.

Presumably this is how they behaved in Toytown Parliament north of the border, whilst debating whether to raise parking fines in Balamory.
    I hope their constituents are used to it - the last thing we want is for them all to get turfed out in 2020 & let SLAB back in.
  • Options
    We need people like Lord Summerisle in the House of Lords.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,951
    OT Entertaining spat in the Specie with Niall Fergusson taking former Chief Economist in Gordon Brown's Cabinet Office "Independent/neutral" economist Jonathan Portes to task:

http://www.spectator.co.uk/features/9555142/jonathan-portes-master-of-correct-politicalness/

Builds on the wider point explored earlier of how the Left 'wins' - without actually 'winning'....
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,037

Quite a few of our most durable current people joined in 1992 in a similar frame of mind - it's a useful long-term asset for any party. In an ideal world we'd all have perfectly-formed yet adaptable ideas, but hey.

As Ed Milliband might have said when signing off the 2015.Labour manifesto
    Luckily the electorate would like you to have some coherent and effective ideas on how to run the country.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,641
    TOPPING said:

Plato said:

watford30 said:

Scotch Nits proving themselves to be a complete joke.

I hope their constituents are used to it - the last thing we want is for them all to get turfed out in 2020 & let SLAB back in.
    Most Scots in the central belt have very little experience of being represented by anything other than muppets and placemen. Indeed the bar is so low that at least some of the SNP members are likely to be an improvement. Some even speak in sentences.
  • Options

Plenty of people dislike what they believe to be the basic Conservative mindset (help the rich, screw the poor and and maybe it'll filter down to the middle classes)

Nick, is that your view of the Conservative Party? I'm thick-skinned enough to take that utterly wrong assessment in my stride. But there's 11.3m Conservatives voters that might just be a bit pissed off....

• Options
    According to its website, the NIESR is ‘independent of all party political interests’.

Nicer? LOL LOL LOL :smiley:

OT Entertaining spat in the Specie with Niall Fergusson taking former Chief Economist in Gordon Brown's Cabinet Office "Independent/neutral" economist Jonathan Portes to task:

http://www.spectator.co.uk/features/9555142/jonathan-portes-master-of-correct-politicalness/

Builds on the wider point explored earlier of how the Left 'wins' - without actually 'winning'....

• Options

Gutted.

Balls !
  • Options

Gutted.

Has Sauron got an alibi?
  • Options
    Prezza just stuck the boot in to Liz...
  • Options
    Plato said:

Ron Moody has also died.

Gutted.

Plato said:

Ron Moody has also died.

Gutted.

Bob Chartoff, producer of Rocky, Raging Bull and The Right Stuff amongst others - and a friend of the Good Lady Wifi - has also died.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Gutted.

Balls !
    And Ron "Fagin" Moody.

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,083

We need people like Lord Summerisle in the House of Lords.

Or Stannis?
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

Gutted.

Exsanguinated surely? - RIP le Count.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100

Gutted.

His last heavy metal single:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TnFIDKyX50
  • Options
    I loved him best in Bond

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoemQ3uz890

Gutted.

• Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,741
    Ishmael_X said:

dr_spyn said:

Erm, weren't the UAE team cleared by a Royal Society enquiry, and wasn't the whole furore based on politicians misunderstanding (perhaps deliberately) what was meant by terms like "mathematical trick"?
    Yes.
    "Eight committees investigated the allegations and published reports, finding no evidence of fraud or scientific misconduct.[15] However, the reports called on the scientists to avoid any such allegations in the future by taking steps to regain public confidence in their work, for example by opening up access to their supporting data, processing methods and software, and by promptly honouring freedom of information requests.[16] The scientific consensus that global warming is occurring as a result of human activity remained unchanged throughout the investigations"
    Me, for one. I am still really confused by your revelation that "Oslo is the closest railway station to Shetland". Could you explain the one again please?

Apparently I got that wrong, it's much nearer to Scarborough, you suggested
    I admit that I got it a bit wrong, but you got it very wrong.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    edited June 2015
    Cromwell said:

I usually post at the Guardian where I repeatedly , almost on a daily bases , predicted a TORY MAJORITY for 6 months before the election ; I had enough confidence to bet a large amount of money on it and naturally won big time ...

Welcome Cromwell! I of course won a colossal amount of money backing you as next Monarch at 250/1 in the mid-seventeenth century, though I did have to take a certain Wm. Hill, Esq. to IBAS before being paid out.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,318
    FPT
    Disraeli said:

viewcode said:

The reason they stayed united and loyal was that despite everything the polls were showing that they were on for a decent majority. If instead they had been five points behind...

Labour's own polls showed them behind.
    Which Labour polls showed them behind, when did they show it, and do you have a link please? Genuine question.

@viewcode. Apparently it was in the times. Lower down this thread it is stated:
    "Meantime, The Times' autopsy on Labour's election defeat points out that Labour's own polling showed them 6 points behind the Tories. Labour can hardly complain if they chose not to publish their own polls."

I don't have access to the Times since it is behind a paywall and I don't subscribe, so I can't confirm this. However you may be able to access the relevant article(s).
    Thank you
  • Options
    CromwellCromwell Posts: 236
    Is anyone interested in betting on the Danish elections ?..I would be interested in hearing your views

It is my intuitive hunch that the incumbent will squeeze a narrow victory for a number of reasons ....

A/ The incumbent red/green alliance seem to have the momentum after being well behind in the polls since 2011

B/ SCHMIDT has an advantage in personal popularity over Rasmussen ...reading her body language , she seems to have a spring in her step and be optimistic

C/ When an election is this close the electorate tend to stay with the status quo and remain with the known over the unknown

D/ It seems that Rasmussen has been hurt by his low level corruption scandals
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191
    Genuinely :(

On the other hand, we might finally find out what he got up to in WW2.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @daily_politics: Talking about @DMiliband - here's what @johnprescott told @afneil #bbcdp http://t.co/ymToO0uAN6
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

Ishmael_X said:

dr_spyn said:

Yes.

No, you twit. I used Scarborough as an illustration to show how wrong you were about Oslo. Scarborough is in fact closer to Lerwick than Oslo. Look it up on a map. You didn't understand that, you don't have the first idea about basics like what shape Norway is, but you can't stop yourself patronising the rest of the world with your superior understanding of Ther Science.
  • Options
    CromwellCromwell Posts: 236
    HOW ABOUT THIS FOR PRESCIENCE ?

14 Dec 2014 08:46

The political fog is lifting and as it does a pathway to victory for Cameron is becoming clearer ....the real wildcard is the rise of the SNP and it's SURE to cause a reaction here in England ..English voters fear and loathe the SNP and they will be the kiss of death for any political party they attempt to go into coalition with ; naturally , it will be suicide for Labour as it would mean a minority English government being hung with a Scottish rope and as such Miliband needs to nip this in the bud and renounce any possibility of it before it seeps in public consciousness like a deadly poison ; but he won't ; he'll dilly , dally and procastrinate and Labour will be contaminated by guilt by association resulting in lethal and terminal consequences

========================
    14 Dec 2014 08:06

There is another possibility ; we Brits don't like coalitions and the last one came about by default and I suspect the voters will not make the same mistake twice ...we much prefer the clarity and decisiveness of a majority party instead of a moribund , impotent , frustrating coalition
    I suspect that the coming election will be somewhat like the 92 election when Labour was expected to win outright or by coalition , but the polls broke late and decisively for the Tories ..the spectre of the SNP will spook enough centrist voters into the arms of the Tories and finally give Cameron his slim majority

=====================
    11 Dec 2014 08:20

The two EDs are the original Mrs Brown's Boys ; they are a laughing stock and the electorate will never trust them with the levers of power ...Cameron has already won this election by default ...indeed , all that is really in doubt is will the Tories scrape a slim majority ?...we could very well be about to witness a Labour collapse

====================
    10 Dec 2014 11:00

In response to Dubdemon
    Too true , you folks really do loathe the Tories and that's why the English voters are going to cook you up a Tory government to choke on ..it was the militant and thuggish unions that created a backlash that helped create Thatcher ...Salmond and the SNP are creating a similar backlash that is likely to provide Cameron with his long awaited majority ...mark my words !
    ========================

I made these comments at the Guardian website before Xmas !

• Options

Financier said:

Why is another Tory government terrible and what would they do differently to improve the UK in the longer term i.e more than five years.

Plenty of people dislike what they believe to be the basic Conservative mindset (help the rich, screw the poor and and maybe it'll filter down to the middle classes) and are dismayed to see them in Government, so they join an opposition party - mostly Labour, though LDs and Greens are up too - in order to oppose it. They don't really need to have a fully-fledged alternative manifesto to make that decision, and no doubt they have varied ideas, some of them more fledged than others. But I'd expect them to be more inclined to ask "How can we defeat the Tories next time?" rather than "How can the party perfectly match my ideological wishes?"
    If you ever wondered why your party keeps losing elections, just re-read this.
  • Options
    HenryGMansonHenryGManson Posts: 149
    I think beneficiary of John Healey pulling out of the deputy contest will probably be Angela Eagle. They won't move as one, but I think she'll pick up a good share of their support. A lot of them are soft-left and down to Earth so will point that way. We'll see.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,741
    Ishmael_X said:

Ishmael_X said:

dr_spyn said:

Yes.

No, you twit. I used Scarborough as an illustration to show how wrong you were about Oslo. Scarborough is in fact closer to Lerwick than Oslo. Look it up on a map. You didn't understand that, you don't have the first idea about basics like what shape Norway is, but you can't stop yourself patronising the rest of the world with your superior understanding of Ther Science.
    You yourself pointed out that I meant Bergen rather than Oslo in our original posting and that is what I was talking about.

Lerwick, UK -1.1500
    Bergen, NO 5.3247
    Miles: 222.23
    Kilometers: 357.63
    Bearing: NE

------------------

Lerwick, UK -1.1500
    Scarborough, UK -0.4142
    Miles: 405.72
    Kilometers: 652.93
    Bearing: SE

-------------------

Try not to be so rude, it's bad for your blood pressure.
  • Options

Gutted.

No, you're thinking of Abominable Dr Phibes. For Lee, it would be sunlight, sunlight, stake thru heart, sunlight, two candlesticks in shape of a cross,....(christ that guy had a long career)....golden bullet...(yep, there's more)...stake thru heart...(deep breath)...two lightsabers. And he freed Pakistan as well. Which was nice.

BoxOfficeMojo insists otherwise, but I still hold that with several Draculas, one Bond, two Star Wars films and six Sarumans under his belt, he was the greatest film star ever. Samuel L Jackson (two Windus, several Furys) has a good counterclaim but goddammit, Samuel L Jackson never got impersonated by Coogan and Brydon, now did he?

• Options
    Charlton Heston surely beats them all? He was Moses, God, El Cid, Thomas Jefferson... He was the highest paid box office star for ages.
    viewcode said:

Gutted.

No, you're thinking of Abominable Dr Phibes. For Lee, it would be sunlight, sunlight, stake thru heart, sunlight, two candlesticks in shape of a cross,....(christ that guy had a long career)....golden bullet...(yep, there's more)...stake thru heart...(deep breath)...two lightsabers. And he freed Pakistan as well. Which was nice.

BoxOfficeMojo insists otherwise, but I still hold that with several Draculas, one Bond, two Star Wars films and six Sarumans under his belt, he was the greatest film star ever. Samuel L Jackson (two Windus, several Furys) has a good counterclaim but goddammit, Samuel L Jackson never got impersonated by Coogan and Brydon, now did he?

• Options
    Anyhoo, while I'm here, can anybody point me in the direction of a decent betting establishment on a Brexit? The best I can see is about two-to-one on a Brexit but I'd prefer something nearer five-to-one
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    viewcode said:

Gutted.

Yeah but Sam L Jackson did this, which I think is one of the funniest things ever.

http://youtu.be/GsDQ93iguP8
  • Options
    Cromwell said:

14 Dec 2014 08:46

The political fog is lifting and as it does a pathway to victory for Cameron is becoming clearer ....the real wildcard is the rise of the SNP and it's SURE to cause a reaction here in England ..English voters fear and loathe the SNP and they will be the kiss of death for any political party they attempt to go into coalition with ; naturally , it will be suicide for Labour as it would mean a minority English government being hung with a Scottish rope and as such Miliband needs to nip this in the bud and renounce any possibility of it before it seeps in public consciousness like a deadly poison ; but he won't ; he'll dilly , dally and procastrinate and Labour will be contaminated by guilt by association resulting in lethal and terminal consequences

========================
    14 Dec 2014 08:06

There is another possibility ; we Brits don't like coalitions and the last one came about by default and I suspect the voters will not make the same mistake twice ...we much prefer the clarity and decisiveness of a majority party instead of a moribund , impotent , frustrating coalition
    I suspect that the coming election will be somewhat like the 92 election when Labour was expected to win outright or by coalition , but the polls broke late and decisively for the Tories ..the spectre of the SNP will spook enough centrist voters into the arms of the Tories and finally give Cameron his slim majority

=====================

The two EDs are the original Mrs Brown's Boys ; they are a laughing stock and the electorate will never trust them with the levers of power ...Cameron has already won this election by default ...indeed , all that is really in doubt is will the Tories scrape a slim majority ?...we could very well be about to witness a Labour collapse

====================
    10 Dec 2014 11:00

In response to Dubdemon
    Too true , you folks really do loathe the Tories and that's why the English voters are going to cook you up a Tory government to choke on ..it was the militant and thuggish unions that created a backlash that helped create Thatcher ...Salmond and the SNP are creating a similar backlash that is likely to provide Cameron with his long awaited majority ...mark my words !
    ========================

I made these comments at the Guardian website before Xmas !

How the hell you didn't get your posting rights revoked for such heresy is the great mystery here!
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    viewcode said:

Anyhoo, while I'm here, can anybody point me in the direction of a decent betting establishment on a Brexit? The best I can see is about two-to-one on a Brexit but I'd prefer something nearer five-to-one

If anyone can get me evens on Tim Farron and 3/1 on Andy Burnham at the same time I'd be glad to hear it.
  • Options
    Can you remind me what a tissue price is again?

viewcode said:

If anyone can get me evens on Tim Farron and 3/1 on Andy Burnham at the same time I'd be glad to hear it.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Ron Pollard died yesterday too. Has he been mentioned? He pretty much invented political betting in this country. I'd imagine Shadsy's blog will cover it but I can't find it. Have there been economies?
  • Options

viewcode said:

I'll offer you evens on Tim Farron as next Labour Leader and 3/1 on Andy Burnham as next Lib Dem leader.

Unlimited stakes.

:lol:
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,730
    edited June 2015
    RIP Fagin and Count Dooku :(
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    LADBROKES' renowned former odds compiler and PR director Ron Pollard has died following a short illness. He was 89.

Pollard was credited with being the man who brought political betting to Britain when he offered odds on the Conservative Party leadership following the Profumo affair in the early 1960s.

His son-in-law Errol Blyth said: "Ron was a true showman who lived a full life - in fact in 1991 he had a triple heart by-pass and was told he might expect ten years, so he beat those odds.

"He fitted in so well with Ladbrokes at such a peak time for the company and the industry - he was a real ideas man, and understood the media."

In a statement Ladbrokes expressed its sadness at Pollard's death.

"Ron was synonymous with Ladbrokes and its establishment as one of the leading betting brands," the statement said.

"Widely credited with establishing political betting by offering election odds after the Christine Keeler affair, he was a lifelong Labour supporter and attended party events in Harrow West constituency where he lived and where Ladbrokes head office is situated.

"He was regularly seen in press and on TV promoting novelty betting on anything from aliens landing to Miss World.

"Legend has it he once dressed as a waiter to gatecrash the Miss World press conference to judge the likely winner and ensure Ladbrokes' odds were accurate.
    http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse-racing/political-betting-pioneer-ron-pollard-dies-at-89/1894144/#newsArchiveTabs=last7DaysNews

Ron Pollard died yesterday too. Has he been mentioned? He pretty much invented political betting in this country. I'd imagine Shadsy's blog will cover it but I can't find it. Have there been economies?

• Options
    Cromwell said:

=====================

The two EDs are the original Mrs Brown's Boys ;

I saw this and thought of Ed and Ed :)

http://decanter.media.ipcdigital.co.uk/11150/000001256/d07e/balls-bros.jpg
  • Options
    Anyhoo, while I'm here, can anybody point me in the direction of a decent betting establishment on a Brexit (from the EU)? The best I can see is about two-to-one on a Brexit but I'd prefer something nearer five-to-one

Additionally, can anybody point me in the direction of odds on a Grexit (from the Euro)? I understand the argument that emergency liquidity will be withdrawn at June end (following more perpetual Greek fucking around) and the collapse of Greek banks soon after. But reestablishment of the Drachma is not automatic even after that and I reckon there'll be some delay before Syriza becomes unstupid. So I reckon a bet on Greece still being in the Euro at year end is good value.

The proviso is of course that "in the Euro" is tightly defined: a lot of punters lost money in 2012 when the debt was restructured: technically it was a default, but officially it wasn't, and the bookies took the official view.
  • Options
    edited June 2015

Ishmael_X said:

dr_spyn said:

Yes.

Nearest railway stations to Lerwick are Wick (173 mls) and Thurso (164 mls).