Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Henry G Manson’s view remains: Yvette Cooper is the value

SystemSystem Posts: 11,707
edited June 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Henry G Manson’s view remains: Yvette Cooper is the value bet

“It’s Andy’s the lose, right?” The bookmakers have Andy Burnham odds on to be the next Labour leader but I’m just not convinced. To be fair to Andy his campaign is considerably better than in 2010 and he has an impressive array of support from across the party.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    One thing I've learned over all these years is don't bet against Henry G Manson when it comes to Labour battles. Many of us are holding on to Sadiq Khan London mayor vouchers which you tipped here two years ago when he was 33/1
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    "...The first round winner in Labour’s last leadership election was David Miliband ..."

No he wasn't. There was no first-round winner in the last leadership election, which is why it went to a second round (and further rounds).
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,994
    Interesting article. I'm unsure who the best leader is for Labour, or indeed, the best strategy for the party. In a sense, my views don't matter, as I'd never consider voting Labour.

Labour's dilemna is that they're both very close to, and very far from, power. A gain of 35 seats from the Conservatives would enable them to form a minority government, with backing from other left-wing parties. As against that, 31% is a very poor vote share, and a majority of voters backed right wing parties, for the first time since 1935.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,084
    Thatcher was elected despite the fact she was a woman. I hope that any female Labour leader is not selected just *because* she is a woman, but because she is the best person for the job.

I fear many in Labour do not understand the difference.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,077
    To be fair to Labour (why?) there were several women high in the Party, and in Cabinets long before the Tories (or Libs IIRC) had any there or thereabouts.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    edited June 2015

Thatcher was elected despite the fact she was a woman. I hope that any female Labour leader is not selected just *because* she is a woman, but because she is the best person for the job.

I understood that the Labour leader and deputy leader must be of opposite sex. Unless there are 2 females and apparently that's just fine. Election by ovaries then not skill which is why Harman has been in place for years. Meanwhile Mrs Balls could win? It would be Hubby by stealth. Labour wou,d go to an even darker place than it is now.

Edit- in saying that it would be interesting if the fragrant Yvette won and Kendal won through for deputy. Very interesting indeed.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,991
    Moses_ said:

I understood that the Labour leader and deputy leader must be of opposite sex. Unless there are 2 females and apparently that's just fine. Election by ovaries then not skill which is why Harman has been in place for years. Meanwhile Mrs Balls could win? It would be Hubby by stealth. Labour wou,d go to an even darker place than it is now.
    Is that true? Two men is not okay, but two women is??
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    RobD said:

That was the rule Hattie wanted, but I am not sure she actually got it onto the books
  • Options
    RobD said:

Moses_ said:

It has been mentioned on PB previously. But please don't ask for a link as I have no idea where?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    "The party of equality" - since when ?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

RobD said:

That was the rule Hattie wanted, but I am not sure she actually got it onto the books
    Ok probably what I picked up on. Just checked here and have to admit don't see references to this

http://privatewww.essex.ac.uk/~tquinn/leadership_election_rules.htm

I still think Snowflake and Kendall could be an interesting ticket.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Labour should ALWAYS have a woman as leader or deputy, says Harriet Harman as Miliband seeks to axe Shadow Cabinet elections
    Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2007764/Labour-ALWAYS-woman-leader-deputy-says-Harriet-Harman-Miliband-seeks-axe-shadow-cabinet-elections.html
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Edit- in saying that it would be interesting if the fragrant Yvette won and Kendal won through for deputy. Very interesting indeed.
    From what I recall on here, that is not the case when the leader and deputy are picked at the same time: it would make voting rather difficult (the man and woman would probably have to team up onto the same ticket).

It does occur if a deputy is picked when a leader is in place, or vice versa. I guess if there was a male deputy leader, there would have to be a female leader selected, unless the deputy stands down.

It's a stupid mess.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    It's all so dreadfully boring. a man was interviewed after the election in Ilford about the future for Labour and he just said with real feeling " I don't care".

One thing I've learned over all these years is don't bet against Henry G Manson when it comes to Labour battles. Many of us are holding on to Sadiq Khan London mayor vouchers which you tipped here two years ago when he was 33/1

After the recent GE result I'm as wary of pundit predictions as polls. Labour in particular seem to have been pretty clueless generally this time. Mind you I'd be delighted if they're foolish enough to go for 'ethnic quota' and the 'voters are bastards' Khan for London Mayor. If the capital voted him in their separation from the rest of the UK would be considerably enhanced - and not in a good way.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Labour should ALWAYS have a woman as leader or deputy, says Harriet Harman as Miliband seeks to axe Shadow Cabinet elections
    Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2007764/Labour-ALWAYS-woman-leader-deputy-says-Harriet-Harman-Miliband-seeks-axe-shadow-cabinet-elections.html

I note from that article in 2011 that Cooper balls backed the idea. As did Jowell ..... (Not though Tessa would remember of course.)
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,750
    edited June 2015
    That's a nice trick Mr Cameron could pull.

Remove the clause in the Equalities Act that Hattie introduced to make sex discrimination legal in the Labour Party.

• Options
    On this theme, and FPT Kellner, it's interesting how a significant gender gap has opened up between voters aged under 50. Among voters aged over 60, 60% support the Conservatives or UKIP. 52% of those aged 50-59% support the Conservatives or UKIP. There's no significant difference among men and women.

Among younger men, support for the Conservatives and UKIP runs very high, at 49% for men aged 30-49, only dropping to 44% among the youngest age cohort. But, it's far lower among women, at 42% and 36% respectively.
  • Options
    MattW said:

That's a nice trick Mr Cameron could pull.

Remove the clause in the Equalities Act that Hattie introduced to make sex discrimination legal in the Labour Party.

That would be quite funny. But, I'd rather he resisted the temptation. As membership of the Labour Party is voluntary, I think they should be permitted to discriminate against their members on grounds of sex. After all, the members can always change the rule if they don't like it.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Moses_ said:

Liz Kendall is not standing for deputy. Labour's deputy leader will not be whoever is runner-up in the leadership contest but rather, whoever wins the separate contest for deputy.

Deputy leadership runners are, in alphabetical order: Rushanara Ali, Ben Bradshaw, Stella Creasy, Angela Eagle, Caroline Flint, John Healey and Tom Watson.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    edited June 2015
    Yvette has two problems, neither of which Henry mentions.

1. She is married to Ed Balls. For a party looking to move on from 2008 this is a serious problem that she is yet to address. How can she?

2. She lacks TV presence. In a presidential campaign, either for leader or PM, this is a weakness. For a party looking for a bit of charisma after Ed, this is a problem.

If she had neither of these issues then Henry would be right for all the reasons he points out.

• Options
    Pushing the question further, now they are committed to quotas how will Lab deal with the LBGTIQXYZ spectrum, when those who have gained their prominence on those issues start making demands?

The law is very explicit that discrimination in political parties on candidate selection is only allowed to be sex discrimination.

Genuine question.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,403
    I think Cameron would find a woman difficult in that we would see a lot, lot less of his inner Flashman. This is a man who still gets out of the car and races around to his wife's side to open the door for her. On the other hand there are many who think that a Cameron holding his Flashman tendencies in check would be even more formidable.

Thankfully (from Labour's point of view) that will not be a problem for the election again and it is this that the membership should really be focussing on: which of the candidates is going to make Labour most competitive where they want to win seats?

The general failure to recover the 2010 losses to the Tories in 2015 shows the problem. Labour did well in the north east and London where they had very little to gain, ok in the NW and poorly in the midlands and south where they actually went backwards. So they need a leader that is going to win in those areas.

Wherever her constituency is I think Cooper is an EM II. She is another north London intellectual type who will appeal to the same groups as Ed did. This is her biggest problem: she needs to show she can reach out beyond such groups. So far she comes across as cool, remote, intellectual and fairly seriously lacking in empathy.

Andy does empathy in spades but he needs to show he can appeal where Labour need to win seats, not just where they weigh their majorities.

Kendall has the potential to reach out much more where Labour needs to win but it is only potential. I agree with Henry she is not shinning in the way young Blair did (mind you that is an unfairly high bar).

It is not a stellar field. I can see Labour selecting a woman only to be trumped again when Javid becomes the next Tory leader.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,077
    Jonathan said:

1. She is married to Ed Balls. For a party looking to move on from 2008 this is a serious problem that she is yet to address. How can she?

2. She lacks TV presence. In a presidential campaign, either for leader or PM, this is a weakness. For a party looking for a bit of charisma after Ed, this is a problem.

If she had neither of these issues then Henry would be right for all the reasons he points out.

Would, before the election, you have said that Nicola Sturgeon had “TV presence”?

I suspect one can grow into these things!
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913

Jonathan said:

Would, before the election, you have said that Nicola Sturgeon had “TV presence”?

You can certainly learn TV presence, but she's already had over 10 years to do it. The husband problem is more tricky. A Tory election campaign focussed on keeping Balls out of Downing St would be hard to counter.
  • Options

Moses_ said:

Liz Kendall is not standing for deputy. Labour's deputy leader will not be whoever is runner-up in the leadership contest but rather, whoever wins the separate contest for deputy.

Deputy leadership runners are, in alphabetical order: Rushanara Ali, Ben Bradshaw, Stella Creasy, Angela Eagle, Caroline Flint, John Healey and Tom Watson.
    No indeed. Thanks the clarification.

I was simply musing had it turned out that way? it would be, or have been an interesting choice enabling a potential foot either side of the centre ground area. Stella Creasy might just achieve the same objective.

Alternatively never underestimate Labour and them choosing the Corbyn / Watson combination. Remember these were the same people that coronated Brown.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

You can certainly learn TV presence, but she's already had over 10 years to do it. The husband problem is more tricky. A Tory election campaign focussed on keeping Balls out of Downing St would be hard to counter.
    Impossible to counter I would have thought. I can see the "pocket poster" already with words under

"He haven't gone away you know"
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,121

Jonathan said:

Yes and Balls will never have it , been around forever and charisma free still
  • Options
    @DavidL
    I really don't think Labour show any real sign of addressing how awfully did in the election. I wonder just how much of their, very small vote increase went into seats where they already have very big majorities and how little into the kind of seats they need to win. I suspect the UKIP pressure on them in their heartlands could continue to be a problem while they fade as a serious threat to the more eurosceptic Tory party. I see little prospect of a revival in Scotland - the Tories never have and have flatlined at around 15-20%.

The early signs of their opposition strategy with the continued hostility to the 'cuts' - indicates that for them the GE simply didn't happen. The only one really saying the right things is Kendall and I doubt if the party will elect her. Indeed she could create schism - as she is clearly no Tony Blair.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Sean_F said:

On this theme, and FPT Kellner, it's interesting how a significant gender gap has opened up between voters aged under 50. Among voters aged over 60, 60% support the Conservatives or UKIP. 52% of those aged 50-59% support the Conservatives or UKIP. There's no significant difference among men and women.

Among younger men, support for the Conservatives and UKIP runs very high, at 49% for men aged 30-49, only dropping to 44% among the youngest age cohort. But, it's far lower among women, at 42% and 36% respectively.

Public sector workers are more likely to vote Labour.
    Women are more likely to vote Labour.
    Public sector workers are more likely to be women.

http://www.rotherhamccg.nhs.uk/Downloads/Equality Docs/GENDER_In_NHS_Infographic_FINAL.pdf

http://www.islington.gov.uk/publicrecords/library/Community-and-living/Information/Factsheets/2011-2012/(2012-03-03)-Islington's-Workforce-Charts.pdf

Some of those numbers would provoke diversity action plans if men were as disproportionately represented.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    Moses_ said:
    If that comes to pass, start piling money on a yes vote. Farage, is utterly toxic across huge swathes of the voting public.

They need a few adults to take the lead, such as Carswell and Hannan. Both of whom, even if you don't agree with them, can actually put forward a well reasoned case, in a sensible way. Farage, is a bar room bore who couldn't even win over enough people to win a Westminster, seat.
  • Options
    It would be considerably less difficult for Yvette were Ed Balls to leave politics.

TV Chef?
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Impossible to counter I would have thought. I can see the "pocket poster" already with words under

"He haven't gone away you know"
    What's worse, she will probably have to trash her husband's legacy, which she supported when they were in power.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,013
    Good morning, everyone.

Interesting piece, Mr. Manson. I wonder how Labour's apparently London-centric nature affects things.
  • Options
    saddened said:

Moses_ said:
    If that comes to pass, start piling money on a yes vote. Farage, is utterly toxic across huge swathes of the voting public.

They need a few adults to take the lead, such as Carswell and Hannan. Both of whom, even if you don't agree with them, can actually put forward a well reasoned case, in a sensible way. Farage, is a bar room bore who couldn't even win over enough people to win a Westminster, seat.
    I suspect the out campaign is doomed either way - Farage simply could not win it. To be blunt UKIP needs a defeat to survive. It only really works as a protest group, like the LDs but with a potentially bigger slice of malcontent voters to draw upon.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    The Scots think the Krankies have screen presence..
  • Options
    saddened said:

Moses_ said:

They'd be reasonable choices.

Farage leading 'out' makes sense from his point of view. Not only does it further inflate his massive ego, but he knows that with him leading 'out' will lose. Since a win for out will damage the party he leads, it makes sense that he kyboshes the campaign as much as possible.

After all, many of UKIP's supporters won't be blaming him for the loss; they'll be mad at the EU that 'stole' the campaign in some yet-to-be-determined way.
  • Options
    MattW The new Liberace...he has the figure for it..
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    I'm mystified as to why many on this site assume that Sajid Javid will be (a. elected as Conservative leader and (b. elected PM. We've yet to really establish, whether he is that much of a competent Secretary of State for Business, at the very least.

As for Labour revival in Scotland - you can't really compare their situation with the Conservatives. Scotland, in many ways is the reverse of England - while it can be argued England shifts more to the Right, Scotland is a more centre-left country. As such, while it's a difficult for the Conservatives - a party significantly to the Right (looking at Scotland's political spectrum,) to really 'revive', Labour at some point probably will. The question is, to what extent can Labour recover in Scotland? The SNP won't be popular forever, but Labour is unlikely to ever *dominate* Scottish politics in the way it used to.

As for whether Labour ready to address its issues, that is a more difficult issue to read. It's quite early days, especially into the leadership election. Right now, in the main PB seems to get their insight into Labour voters, from a very select demographic of Guardian commentators, and those on Twitter. The equivalent, would be me judging Tory voters on the basis of the DM and Telegraph comments section. In short, those with more 'extreme' political views tend to shout the loudest and dominate conversation online. As I credit Labour grassroots, while being on the centre-left of politics, with not being extremists (they did vote for D Miliband in 2010, after all) I think we'll have to wait and see as to who they gravitate towards.

Really at this moment in time, the most striking thing to me isn't that Labour want to go to the left, or go to the Right, or keep 'Milibandism' etc, but that Labour lack a general direction. They lack a clear idea as to what the Labour party is 'for'. And until we see how this leadership election develops, and who Labour elect we probably won't get an answer to that question. Which is crucial for understanding whether Labour 'get' their problems or not.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,121

The Scots think the Krankies have screen presence..

Senile old halfwits think Squeaky George is brave
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    1. It's bigger than anyone else's. 2. is an "other things being equal" argument. Voters will persuade themselves that other things aren't equal. 3. Labour only wants to talk about the NHS. Burnham has 5 years in the bank, and will continue to talk about health anyway.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

I'm not really sure Ed Balls was ever a high-profile hate figure for the general public. There might be one of those mocked-up posters to remind friendly journalists, and even the odd spot of astroturfing on pb, but perhaps that is the wrong question. The correct one is: in this leadership election, will Burnham and Kendall use the spectre of Balls to damn Cooper?
  • Options
    MG And I got the impression you really didn't care for him..now there's a thing
  • Options
    felix said:

saddened said:

Moses_ said:

I suspect the out campaign is doomed either way - Farage simply could not win it. To be blunt UKIP needs a defeat to survive. It only really works as a protest group, like the LDs but with a potentially bigger slice of malcontent voters to draw upon.
    The BBC reports the same story as Farage saying he does not expect to be the dominant voice in the campaign.

His point that the No side need to start campaigning ASAP is surely correct.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited June 2015
    Another well informed article from Henry. Again better than anything I have read so far in the MSM, a credit to the site OGH and to Henry.

What does puzzle me about Burnham and Cooper is why they think that they have outstanding Leadership abilities?
    Could anyone see them at the top of a FTSE 100 Company?
    What about as an Executive Director in a FTSE100?
    No? What about as the Head of a large department in a FTSE100? Maybe, but not definite. As with Ed Miliband we have a couple of people that lack Leadership qualities.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,728
    Sean_F said:

felix said:

saddened said:

Moses_ said:

The BBC reports the same story as Farage saying he does not expect to be the dominant voice in the campaign.

It's correct if you want to exit the EU no matter what Cameron achieves during renegotiation. For an uncommitted voter that may appear cynical.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

felix said:

saddened said:

Moses_ said:

Yes the No side needs to be setup under one umbrella. What is sad for the BOO camp is that Farage is pushing the name of UKIP rather than working to get the umbrella setup under less divisive people. Precisely the point Stuart Wheeler has made.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,422

To be fair to Labour (why?) there were several women high in the Party, and in Cabinets long before the Tories (or Libs IIRC) had any there or thereabouts.

The first Labour female cabinet minister is now almost totally disowned by her party, rather like their first prime minister and their most successful prime minister. It's almost as if Labour doesn't like success.

The claim about Labour having "several women high in the Party, and in Cabinets long before the Tories (or Libs IIRC) had any there or thereabouts" is, however, inaccurate.

Labour had one female minister who served in both the 1924 and in 1929-31 governments (in the cabinet in the MacDonald's second ministry), and a second who was a junior minister in the 1929-31 one.

The Conservatives also appointed their first female minister in 1924 although it did take until 1953 before one broke into the cabinet.

Which party has had more women in government has tended to move with which has had more time in office. For example, at 1964, the Tories had had eight female ministers to Labour's six. By 1979, Labour was well ahead. By 1997, the Tories were again.

It's true that the Liberals / Lib Dems didn't supply a woman minister until 2010 and have yet to have one in the cabinet but then they've had very limited opportunity to do so before then given their brief periods in office in the early 1930s and during the war, and that Megan Lloyd George was their sole female member (which is partly their fault for not selecting more women but is more reflective of the low number of Liberals returned rather than being unreflective of male dominance).
  • Options
    david_herdson all good points. Noted that the Lib Dems have 8 MPs not one of which is female. Something that a few people predicted would happen. None of them are BME. So much for their "liberalism".
  • Options

Another well informed article from Henry. Again better than anything I have read so far in the MSM, a credit to the site OGH and to Henry.

What does puzzle me about Burnham and Cooper is why they think that they have outstanding Leadership abilities?
    No? What about as the Head of a large department in a FTSE100? Maybe, but not definite. As with Ed Miliband we have a couple of people that lack Leadership qualities.

Another one to file under "Brown, Gordon: squashing of rivals, consequences"
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    As someone once said here... yvette for LotO!!
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,013
    Bloodhound on course. Naturally, those involved are wise men who quote the likes of Hannibal:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-32993861
  • Options
    On topic, Henry is as astute a commentator on Labour matters as anyone and I wouldn't disagree with his assessment. The key point he makes is about transfers. This is an AV election and the preference votes from the third, fourth and fifth candidates (if Creagh and Corbyn make it - I'd guess that at least one of them probably won't), will be critical. That's one good reason to treat polls stating first preferences with a high degree of caution unless they show one candidate far ahead.

For Burnham to seize the moment, he now needs to sign up as many MPs as possible and, consequently, making it appear that any other candidate would struggle to establish their authority in Westminster if elected. However, doing so will almost certainly mean denying activists as broad a choice as they might like so it's a risk if he stops someone from standing but doesn't then gain that sufficient momentum.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

felix said:

saddened said:

Moses_ said:

It's correct if you want to exit the EU no matter what Cameron achieves during renegotiation. For an uncommitted voter that may appear cynical.
    I think we have a clear view, now, of what Cameron hopes to achieve from the negotiations.
  • Options
    FlightpathlFlightpathl Posts: 1,243

I have never remotely seen Burnham as a leader of the labour party, just a typical below average minister, but then again who could be? None of the candidates seem credible to me and neither do any of the none candidates. The only one who seems to be standing because of a belief, 'the heir to Thatcher', looks like Kendall.
  • Options

david_herdson all good points. Noted that the Lib Dems have 8 MPs not one of which is female. Something that a few people predicted would happen. None of them are BME. So much for their "liberalism".

When you're reduced from 57 to 8 MPs, it's a matter of pure chance who remains.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059

I'm mystified as to why many on this site assume that Sajid Javid will be (a. elected as Conservative leader and (b. elected PM. We've yet to really establish, whether he is that much of a competent Secretary of State for Business, at the very least.

As for Labour revival in Scotland - you can't really compare their situation with the Conservatives. Scotland, in many ways is the reverse of England - while it can be argued England shifts more to the Right, Scotland is a more centre-left country. As such, while it's a difficult for the Conservatives - a party significantly to the Right (looking at Scotland's political spectrum,) to really 'revive', Labour at some point probably will. The question is, to what extent can Labour recover in Scotland? The SNP won't be popular forever, but Labour is unlikely to ever *dominate* Scottish politics in the way it used to.

As for whether Labour ready to address its issues, that is a more difficult issue to read. It's quite early days, especially into the leadership election. Right now, in the main PB seems to get their insight into Labour voters, from a very select demographic of Guardian commentators, and those on Twitter. The equivalent, would be me judging Tory voters on the basis of the DM and Telegraph comments section. In short, those with more 'extreme' political views tend to shout the loudest and dominate conversation online. As I credit Labour grassroots, while being on the centre-left of politics, with not being extremists (they did vote for D Miliband in 2010, after all) I think we'll have to wait and see as to who they gravitate towards.

Really at this moment in time, the most striking thing to me isn't that Labour want to go to the left, or go to the Right, or keep 'Milibandism' etc, but that Labour lack a general direction. They lack a clear idea as to what the Labour party is 'for'. And until we see how this leadership election develops, and who Labour elect we probably won't get an answer to that question. Which is crucial for understanding whether Labour 'get' their problems or not.

Labour's 'nicer than the tories' spending role will have to wait until the electorate think the country can afford it. Simple as rhat.
  • Options
    The Greens don't have any BME MPs either !
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,950
    Good morning! A great article Henry, with some good calls on the relative odds and transfer potential of the candidates given that this is an AV election.

My only question would be do Labour members really see Burnham and health together as a positive? As someone who's not involved with any particular party, I thought that Miliband's appointment of him in that role after the Stafford debacle was the weakest appointment he made, even more so than Balls or Johnson in the SCoE roles.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Labour's 'nicer than the tories' spending role will have to wait until the electorate think the country can afford it. Simple as rhat.
    By 2020 we are apparently going to have a budget surplus, so could well be that time.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

felix said:

saddened said:

Moses_ said:

Yes the No side needs to be setup under one umbrella. What is sad for the BOO camp is that Farage is pushing the name of UKIP rather than working to get the umbrella setup under less divisive people. Precisely the point Stuart Wheeler has made.
    I'd strongly disagree. Both Yes and No, or In and Out, or whatever, would work better as loose co-ordinated coalitions rather than single unified campaigns. A unified campaign needs a consistent message and that will reduce flexibility and therefore vote maximisation.

Put simply, a left-wing Out campaigner may use very different arguments from a right-wing one. They may even be contradictory but that won't matter if they're targeted at different groups and owe no allegiance to each other. What matters is getting their message across to those who are receptive to it. In that sense, Out has an easier task than In as In will be campaigning on Cameron's proposals and there are always more directions to attack a proposal from than from which to defend it.

Combining two topics from this thread, both sides also need relatively high-profile women in their campaign. In 1975, In had Margaret Thatcher and Out had Barbara Castle. Where are today's equivalents?
  • Options

Bloodhound on course. Naturally, those involved are wise men who quote the likes of Hannibal:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-32993861

A bloody good project to get behind, showcasing the best of British research, design and engineering while giving a lot back to the community, engaging in schools and giving the next generation of STEM students and workers something to be passionate about.

For a small donation they will write your name on the tail of the 'car' and send you updates every couple of weeks about the project's progression.
  • Options
    MattW said:

It would be considerably less difficult for Yvette were Ed Balls to leave politics.

TV Chef?

Unfortunately we probably have 5 years of Ed Balls demonstrating what a good chap he is, on the dance floor ... in the jungle ... in the kitchen. Worst of all on The One Show. But I always leave the room when those programmes come on anyway. We must presume he will be looking for a new seat; it Mr Palmers experience is anything to go by he would need to pull strings and look for a safe one.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Whenever I hear the name Yvette. I instinctively think of Hallo Hallo...
  • Options
    edited June 2015

Sean_F said:

felix said:

saddened said:

Moses_ said:

I'd strongly disagree. Both Yes and No, or In and Out, or whatever, would work better as loose co-ordinated coalitions rather than single unified campaigns. A unified campaign needs a consistent message and that will reduce flexibility and therefore vote maximisation.

Put simply, a left-wing Out campaigner may use very different arguments from a right-wing one. They may even be contradictory but that won't matter if they're targeted at different groups and owe no allegiance to each other. What matters is getting their message across to those who are receptive to it. In that sense, Out has an easier task than In as In will be campaigning on Cameron's proposals and there are always more directions to attack a proposal from than from which to defend it.

Combining two topics from this thread, both sides also need relatively high-profile women in their campaign. In 1975, In had Margaret Thatcher and Out had Barbara Castle. Where are today's equivalents?
    Agree completely. The various Out supporters in each party need to be talking to their own party's supporters from now. Farage needs to be told that he will never get 50% of people to agree with him and that the Hannans and Hoeys are better at talking to Tory and Labour voters respectively, raising funds among the committed ideologists.

Once the negotiations are complete there will be people moving from one side to the other, and bringing practical rather than ideological arguments to the table, both to their own side and the general public.

The political leader of the campaign will have to be someone who can bring all supporters of the cause together rather than have them argue with each other. In this respect Alastair Darling was a good choice for the Scottish No campaign. A Conservative that changes his or her mind and moves to Out after the negotiations would probably be good in this role.

All parties and groupings would also do well to look at the work of Mr Messina and friends in data analysis. This is the new politics and isn't going to go away any time soon. Those who can best identify supporters and get them out on the day will undoubtedly win. If I were Dan Hannan I would be beating his door down now before the negotiations finish and the In campaign know what they are campaigning for and start to organise.
  • Options
    There are quite a few unknowns in this election, the first by this method.

I am not convinced that Cooper is in the centre of the 3 serious contenders politically. She is the one most adamant that Labour did not overspend in the Brown years. It is not just being married to Balls that prevents her addressing this, she was Chief Sec to the Treasury herself 2008-2009 at the height of the crash. That is a tough legacy to deal with, much tougher than her poor performance at Housing.

On the Gender issue, it is equally likely for this to benefit Liz Kendall as Yvette.

• Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    The shorthand for the campaign needs to be sorted out pronto.

I've already got totally confused about what a Yes vote would mean - after the SIndy campaign I'm assuming it means Leave The EU, but perhaps it's the opposite and it means Yes Stay In The EU.

Until it's clear who is arguing for what end position, the campaigns are in serious PR trouble.

Sean_F said:

felix said:

saddened said:

Moses_ said:

• Options

Whenever I hear the name Yvette. I instinctively think of Hallo Hallo...

Yes well she would get my vote.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Sandpit said:

Sean_F said:

felix said:

saddened said:

Moses_ said:

Agree completely. The various Out supporters in each party need to be talking to their own party's supporters from now. Farage needs to be told that he will never get 50% of people to agree with him and that the Hannans and Hoeys are better at talking to Tory and Labour voters respectively, raising funds among the committed ideologists.
    You need some coordinating organisation in the centre though.

Otherwise the media will choose who they go to for a comment on topics individually, and if they consistently turn to one strand of anti-Europeanism that individual will become the de facto face of the campaign and, I suspect, create a marmite effect
  • Options
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    edited June 2015
    Farage hammered Clegg in the EU debates, despite the chattering classes perceptions, and will need to play a prominent role in the Out campaign. Would like to see Zac Goldsmith also play a prominent role. Freedom of movement must be the core argument.

Interested to see what In come up with as a positive argument for the EU, scaremongering won't work.

The concessions I expect Cameron won't get will be decisive, most people seem open to persuasion and are waiting to see what happens with negotiations.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Do we have any idea when Cameron will be able to wave a piece a paper with the NewEU Rules for us?

Without them, it's rather hard for In to campaign much beyond the core vote - and that isn't going to achieve much of anything for either side of the argument.

Sean_F said:

felix said:

saddened said:

Moses_ said:

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,958
    Plato said:

The shorthand for the campaign needs to be sorted out pronto.

I've already got totally confused about what a Yes vote would mean - after the SIndy campaign I'm assuming it means Leave The EU, but perhaps it's the opposite and it means Yes Stay In The EU.

Until it's clear who is arguing for what end position, the campaigns are in serious PR trouble.

Sean_F said:

felix said:

saddened said:

Moses_ said:

Hear hear.

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    Good thread Henry.

Was talking to a few Labour friends recently and I get the feeling the unions "endorsing" Burnham and then trying to propel Corbyn onto the ballot is all part of them getting Yvette elected, unifying then splitting the leftist vote within Labour.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

felix said:

saddened said:

Moses_ said:

I s.

I agree. Having a single figurehead in a referendum is unnessecary and even countrrproductive. Farage would be a loser (he has a long track record of losing elections!), but is not likely to keep quiet anyway. The other contenders are either has-beens or eccentric, or both.

Ditto on the In campaign. The Greens and SNP are not going to be campaigning on the same platform as Cameron (assuming he advocates In - I am not convinced that he will).
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Good thread Henry.

Was talking to a few Labour friends recently and I get the feeling the unions "endorsing" Burnham and then trying to propel Corbyn onto the ballot is all part of them getting Yvette elected, unifying then splitting the leftist vote within Labour.

Red rosettes on tin-foil hats? That's one hell of a conspiracy theory. Like all the best conspiracy theories, it might come true even without anyone conspiring along those lines.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,073
    [GREXIT PART ONE]

I'd just like to comment on the staggeringly inaccurate Telegraph article on Greece and the IMF today by Ambrose Evans-Pritchard. Please ignore what he has written: he is either unacquainted with any of the players involved in this saga, or he is being deliberately misleading.

When SYRIZA was elected at the beginning of this year, it was based on a simply promise: austerity could be ended and Greece could remain a part of the Euro. The Greek negotiating team was went to the IMF and to the Eurozone capitals and said "the Greek people have spoken, and they wish to end austerity and remain in the Euro. And you need to respect the wishes of the Greek people. Not only that, but if Greece crashes out of the Euro, it will be as much of a disaster for Europe as for Greece."

The overwhelming desire of most of the Eurozone heads of government - and particularly Angela Merkel - was to keep Greece in the Eurozone, because they feared that Tsipiras was right, and that Grexit could lead to the break-up of the whole Euro.

Greece asked for haircuts to its debt. The Eurozone member states said - more or less - "straight haircuts are not possible. however, what we can offer is interest rate reductions and maturity extensions." As negotiations progressed, this offer was extended further: Greek bonds would be bought as part of the QE programme, the Greeks were offered repayments linked to GDP growth, and a partial holiday on interest payments. The effect of this was to reduce the real value of Greece's debts from, depending on who you speak to, 170% of GDP to somewhere in the 80 to 100% range.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,073
    [GREXIT PART TWO]

However, this largess did not come without conditions. Both the IMF and EU/ECB loan packages were based around financial help in return for reforms. This meant Greece needed to free up its labour market, increase the age at which civil servants retired, privatise state assets, and run a certain primary budget surplus. These conditions were not unusual by the standards of previous IMF bailouts. In fact, there was the feeling that Greece was getting a better than normal deal because of concerns about a potential collapse of the Eurozone.

The current hold-up on an agreement being reached between the EU/ECB/the IMF and Greece is one solely caused by the IMF. The IMF wants to see Greek VAT reform. SYRIZA rightly thinks this will cause pain to poorer Greeks. (Although, it should be noted, it would also collect a lot of revenue from tourists to Greece. And it would go some way to solving the issue that Greece collects less tax, as a proportion of GDP, from its citizens as the Italians or the French.)

SYRIZA is - from what I understand - quite split right now. On Monday or Tuesday of this week there was a meeting of its MPs to discuss the offer. By around 80 to 69 votes, it was rejected. (I don't know whether Tsipiras was personally in favour or not.)

The Greek government wants the IMF to fold. It is therefore choosing to raise the stakes with them by witholding (this is not a default yet, technically) principle payments until the end of this month. SYRIZA hopes that Legarde will be so concerned about the potential for Greece to default on IMF debts on her watch that it will fold and give up on VAT reform.

I think - and this is my personal view - that the Greek government feels emboldened by the successes it has had so far. It feels it has wrung out far more concessions than people thought it would, and it feels that, with the support of Putin, it has the IMF over a barrel.

But this may well all end very badly. A policy decision by the ECB limiting the ability of Greek banks to treat government bonds as riskless assets would inevitably result in capital controls in Greece (to stop further deposit flight). This would no doubt tip the economy further into recession, and would force a resolution. Tsipiras would - I suspect - roll the dice again on the assumption that the Europeans and the IMF would fold. An optimistic assumption.
  • Options
    Excellent piece from Hodges about the leadership race: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/general-election-2015/politics-blog/11654167/Jeremy-Corbyn-and-his-acolytes-are-simply-in-denial.html

I particularly liked:

"You know what would be in Labour’s interests? To finally end this charade. Stop pretending people like Jeremy Corbyn and John McDonnell and Owen Jones have anything at all constructive to contribute to how the Labour party actually wins general elections. Say from the outset “sorry, we’re not interested in being a glorified protest movement any more. You’ve had your fun. Now run along and play with Russell Brand ”.

Practical and successful politics needs a choice. Cameron is dominant but the loons on the right of the Tories have not all left for UKIP or gone away either. If there is no significant opposition out of the government to keep people focussed it will come from inside. The Tories need a Labour party keeping them honest as much as Labour needs a potential winner.
  • Options
    I thought this was very interesting

Not our Gasman I presume!
    GasMan says:
    June 1, 2015 at 1:18 pm

I was made redundant in April and my wife is in the front line of the NHS. On the one hand we could vote Labour in anticipation of increased benefits and increased NHS pay. On the other hand we could vote Conservative in anticipation that they would improve the economy and thereby improve my re-employment prospects and fund NHS improvements.

Reading many comments over at the Guardian, the first option would make us “living saints” and the second the “devil incarnate”. As it happened, on this occasion, we chose the second option.
  • Options
    frpenkridgefrpenkridge Posts: 670
    So Ukip buggered up the election and is now going to bugger up the referendum. Can anybody now deny that Cameron is a very lucky general ?

"How will Lab deal with the LBGTIQXYZ spectrum ?"
    I get the lettuce, bacon and tomato bit but the rest needs some explanation.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,020
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

felix said:

saddened said:

Moses_ said:

I think we have a clear view, now, of what Cameron hopes to achieve from the negotiations.
    Absolutely nothing which he can then sell as everything?
  • Options
    The comments are not interesting at all because most are from outside Labour (and one or two without sanity). It is like trying to get a handle on Conservative blogs infested with Ukip ultras.
  • Options
    edited June 2015

So Ukip buggered up the election and is now going to bugger up the referendum. Can anybody now deny that Cameron is a very lucky general ?

"How will Lab deal with the LBGTIQXYZ spectrum ?"
    I get the lettuce, bacon and tomato bit but the rest needs some explanation.

Lesbian Bisexual Gay Transgender Intersex Queer.

XYZ are the ones I add for those that are about to be invented / identified.

I missed out Pansexual (interested in any thing that moves).

I'm sure there are some more, somewhere. Once you decide that categories are immutable and orientation is discovered not developed, you enter an ever descending spiral of fragmentation.

• Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,674
    edited June 2015
    Sean_F said:

I

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

felix said:

Yes.

(1) He wants to safeguard access to single market, completing and deepening it in services and the digital economy as making it competitive.
    (2) Continue the drive to global free trade with US, Japan and Asia - including with Brazil, China, and India - e.g TTIP
    (3) He wants further liberalisation of the EU labour markets
    (4) He wants more national vetoes by national parliaments
    (5) He wants a mechanism for national level regulation rather than European

Fundamentally, he wants to push "Single market" rather than "Single currency". The government is trying to frame the whole renegotiation in terms of addressing the long-term challenges of a euro/non euro split to ensure UK not constantly outmanoeuvred or outvoted by the eurozone acting as a block on key issues.

To that end, he will want:

(a) abandon ever closer union
    (b) double-majority for non-euro states and euro states
    (c) Turn the "yellow-card" (ask commission to reconsider) into red-card veto by national parliaments (permanently block) on future legislation
    (d) I.e. double-lock from QMV in Council to triple involving national parliaments (as well as commission)

On freedom of movement, my understanding is he originally wanted to negotiate a 75k annual cap on EU migrants, that could be declared 'in force' in times of very high immigration (which would have been very popular here) but Merkel told him where to go. So, now, he's limiting it to benefits entitlements for 4 years.

None of that addresses the priorities of the "Fresh Start" group of eurosceptic Conservative backbenchers who broadly want:

- repatriation of all employment /social law
    - complete opt-out from policing/criminal justice
    - radical reform of regional policy (decentralised)
    - opt-out from ECHR
    - limits on free movement

I will be voting Out.
  • Options
    That should cheer a few people up
    Cameron orders a probe into foreign aid corruption on £12billion of British money after FIFA bribery scandal

Prime Minister says taboo feeling around corruption must be addressed
    Asks that G7 leaders show 'the same courage that exposed FIFA'
    Foreign aid at risk from theft, corruption and fraud, official report claims
    Figures show Britain gave more than £1billion to the world’s 20 most corrupt countries in 2013

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3113069/Cameron-orders-probe-foreign-aid-corruption-12billion-British-money-FIFA-bribery-scandal.html#ixzz3cGp4suvJ
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

felix said:

saddened said:

Moses_ said:

Things that are okay as far as they go, but not sufficient to persuade me to remain In.
  • Options
    Not sure Robert.

The complete unreality of all the negotiations with Greece since 2010 has always been that it was ever going to be able to pay its way out of this without massive debt forgiveness. What was done left them in a position that made the current crisis absolutely inevitable. While interest rate cuts and "holidays" are some help Greece needs a major default.

It would have had that major default in 2010 but for the Euro membership which forced people to pretend it was something else somehow compatible with Euro membership. This made the scale too small.

The VAT issue is key because the Greeks simply don't pay income taxes and seems to have no interest in bringing administration into place to make sure that they do. The government needs a more reliable source of revenue to meet its obligations.

Where I do disagree with AEP is that there is a viable alternative to austerity for a government which is spending more than it can ingather and has run out of credit. The idea that governments have a right to run deficits without a viable plan for repayment is pernicious and the source of so many of our problems, not just in Greece.
  • Options

MattW said:

TV Chef?

Unfortunately we probably have 5 years of Ed Balls demonstrating what a good chap he is, on the dance floor ... in the jungle ... in the kitchen. Worst of all on The One Show. But I always leave the room when those programmes come on anyway. We must presume he will be looking for a new seat; it Mr Palmers experience is anything to go by he would need to pull strings and look for a safe one.
    He's a dancer?

Dance off Balls vs Cable vs Hunt.

Doing the Gangnam Style.

Or Strictly?
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    DavidL said:

Not sure Robert.

The complete unreality of all the negotiations with Greece since 2010 has always been that it was ever going to be able to pay its way out of this without massive debt forgiveness. What was done left them in a position that made the current crisis absolutely inevitable. While interest rate cuts and "holidays" are some help Greece needs a major default.

It would have had that major default in 2010 but for the Euro membership which forced people to pretend it was something else somehow compatible with Euro membership. This made the scale too small.

The VAT issue is key because the Greeks simply don't pay income taxes and seems to have no interest in bringing administration into place to make sure that they do. The government needs a more reliable source of revenue to meet its obligations.

Where I do disagree with AEP is that there is a viable alternative to austerity for a government which is spending more than it can ingather and has run out of credit. The idea that governments have a right to run deficits without a viable plan for repayment is pernicious and the source of so many of our problems, not just in Greece.

Agree except that Greece has spent most of its history in a state of default so the issue is more to do with the idiots who lend them the money, no doubt encouraged by the perception the IMF will take on their bad loans. Moral Hazard.
  • Options
    I wonder at what point the IMF turn around to the ECB and ask them for Greece's repayment, on the basis that Eurozone intransigence and unwillingness to deal with the issues over a number of years have caused Greece to default to them?
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,674
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

felix said:

saddened said:

Moses_ said:

Things that are okay as far as they go, but not sufficient to persuade me to remain In.
    If he got all he originally was gunning for, plus the reforms demanded by FreshStart, I'd very seriously consider it.
  • Options
    OT After watching the first episode, I honestly couldn't tell if this was a spoof or not - it's really local news in Mississippi, I checked. If you like docu progs about real businesses - this is surreal. http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/wabg-and-wxvt-to-appear-in-reality-show-breaking-greenville/133227
    Breaking Greenville may do for local news what The Office did for 9-5 life in the cubicle. But unlike the classic NBC comedy, TruTV’s Breaking Greenville is a real documentary about actual local news reporters doing things that would probably make Edward R. Morrow scream into the nearest throw pillow.
    It's on TruTV via FreeSat and FreeView.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:
    I am not surprised by this, we have seen some indications of SNP fanaticism on here and I am pro-independence. That said the fact that Charles had a poor voting record and seems to have lacked a massive local vote created a political opportunity at a time when the LD brand was in the pits. Charles was there to be attacked politically and that is what most of the SNP's attacks were. Most were legitimate. It is still sad, but probably inevitable since the man lived for politics and yet it brought him little purpose or happiness in the last few years.
  • Options
    OT Look SQUIRREL! Literally, a squirrel's eye view when he steals a camera and takes it on a tree top tour.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3110984/A-day-life-squirrel-Cheeky-rodent-steals-GoPro-takes-adventure-trees-Montreal.html#v-4275223970001
  • Options
    JamesMJamesM Posts: 221
    Morning all.

I know a few pb.com readers live in and around the West Midlands. Coventry University have organised their latest lecture looking at the General Election from the perspective of young voters. It is free to attend, but you must register and it takes place on 10th June - http://www.coventry.ac.uk/research/research-directories/research-events/2015/event-the-big-question/
  • Options
    And into where Mr Royale, the EEA? Please pan out a future for us. The ECHR has nothing to do with the EU. Further its clear we do not wish to be part of ever closer union and will not be.
    I think I could live with the EEA, but where ever we go the EU will not go away and outside we have no votes and no say at all in protecting ourselves against ever closer union. The so called trade deals the numpty Farage blathers on about will still mean the single market and it's associates rules. Leaving the EU will still mean being beholden to it, will still mean an act of supplication to agree to relate to it.
    Let's see how the negotiations pan out, you have already written Dave off (for the umpteenth time), if an orbit for us around the eurozone group does not work then the EEA relationship is fine by me.
    But let's none of us be fools, OUT would never satisfy the nutjobs, only stopping the world to get off will ever do that. Well, that and evermore crass nativism.