Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » This morning’s MUST READ: the Guardian account of how it al

SystemSystem Posts: 11,707
edited June 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » This morning’s MUST READ: the Guardian account of how it all went wrong for LAB/EdM

There’s an extraordinarily comprehensive account by Patrick Wintour in the Guardian this morning of how right up to the moment the exit poll was published at 10pm on May 7th that Ed and his team really believed he was about to become PM. The report opens:

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,994
    Lucky first!
  • Options
    Lucky as I randomly logged on.... I must admit I sometimes feel bad reading these articles about how deluded some may have been! Saying that, not in my wildest dreams did I imagine a CON majority was nailed on!
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    edited June 2015
    I'm amazed this hasn't made it to here already - the BBC tweeted that the Queen was dead. http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/royalfamily/article4459912.ece

It appears that a journalist thought the rehearsals for HRH's death were real... yeah, I'd tweet that, not. Complete with typo.

“Queen Elizabrth has died” @BBCWorld
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
  • Options
    Tim_B said:
    Any FIFA people on there?
  • Options
    I love this US stuff - I follow the CIA on Twitter :smile:
    Tim_B said:
  • Options
    Are the FIFA folks on it?
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,318
    edited June 2015
    FPT:

The first division of new Parliament took place this evening.
    Ayes 275, Noes 331

Surprisingly large Govt majority.

Checking the division list I see DUP voted with the Government. Is that a sign of things to come?

Also from a quick glance it appears that NO LDs were present. Again, sign of things to come?

Could be important - either / both of the above would give Cameron much more breathing space.
  • Options
    What was the vote about?
    MikeL said:

FPT:

Ayes 275, Noes 331

Checking the division list I see DUP voted with the Government. Is that a sign of things to come? Could be important - would give Cameron much more breathing space.

Also from a quick glance it appears that NO LDs were present. Again, sign of things to come?
  • Options
    DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106
    MikeL said:

FPT:

Ayes 275, Noes 331

What happened? Did the taxi break down? *wink*
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Just been rereading this May 7-8th thread, it's very funny. http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2015/05/07/the-exit-poll-is-great-news-for-the-tories/

I loved this one
    FrancisUrquhart Posts: 4,155
    Ignore Favourite
    May 7
    YouGov still think it is neck and neck.

Somebody is going to look like a right tw@t come when the morning comes.
    and this
    TheScreamingEagles Posts: 25,079
    Ignore Favourite
    May 7
    I don't believe this exit poll
  • Options
    Disraeli said:

MikeL said:

FPT:

Ayes 275, Noes 331

What happened? Did the taxi break down? *wink*
    The tellers are re-calibrating their electron microscopes.
  • Options
    Had a very quick look at the FBI Most Wanted List, but didn't see the FIFA folk.

The folk in Switzerland and the US are either in jail or out on bail (like Jack Warner) - the FBI Most Wanted is for folks not yet apprehended.
  • Options
    Plato said:

Just been rereading this May 7-8th thread, it's very funny. http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2015/05/07/the-exit-poll-is-great-news-for-the-tories/

I loved this one

Ignore Favourite
    May 7

and this
    Ignore Favourite
    May 7
    http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2015/05/07/your-sortable-searchable-pb-guide-to-labours-top-80-con-targets-in-england-and-wales/

The moment of the exit poll, may have to click 'more comments' to see the rest :D
  • Options
    It's hilarious - another one made me LOL
    No_Offence_Alan Posts: 690
    Ignore Favourite
    May 7
    As a Lib Dem, all I can say is, Let's Party Like It's 1979.
    RobD said:

Plato said:

I loved this one

Ignore Favourite
    May 7

and this
    Ignore Favourite
    May 7
    http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2015/05/07/your-sortable-searchable-pb-guide-to-labours-top-80-con-targets-in-england-and-wales/

The moment of the exit poll, may have to click 'more comments' to see the rest :D

• Options
    Sad news on the Ed Stone:

(The stone’s demolition, in the event of a Labour loss, had been agreed at the time it was commissioned. After the election, the party drew up two plans for its disposal: one was simply to smash the stone up and throw the rubble onto a scrap heap. The second was to break it up and sell chunks, like the Berlin Wall, to party members as a fundraising effort. The first attempts to destroy the stone had to be postponed when the media tracked its location to a south London warehouse. There are claims it has been destroyed, but even Miliband’s close advisers cannot confirm its fate.)
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,297
    RobD said:

Sad news on the Ed Stone:

(The stone’s demolition, in the event of a Labour loss, had been agreed at the time it was commissioned. After the election, the party drew up two plans for its disposal: one was simply to smash the stone up and throw the rubble onto a scrap heap. The second was to break it up and sell chunks, like the Berlin Wall, to party members as a fundraising effort. The first attempts to destroy the stone had to be postponed when the media tracked its location to a south London warehouse. There are claims it has been destroyed, but even Miliband’s close advisers cannot confirm its fate.)

Just imagine if they were in charge of the country. Spread a crazy amount of total s##t, then come up with completely crazy ideas about how to try and dig themselves out of the mess and in the end just lose it. Its like those tax discs all over again.
  • Options
    Surely the best anecdote of the night
    Hertsmere_Pubgoer Posts: 907
    Ignore Favourite
    May 7
    At the Finborough Arms tonight we have a Japanese broadcast crew here.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,297
    edited June 2015
    Plato said:

I loved this one

Ignore Favourite
    May 7

and this
    Ignore Favourite
    May 7
    Well I wasn't wrong :-) .....Seemed to remeber that comment was to do with the fact that BBC had Kellner on within minutes of the exit poll news and Kellner was not having any of it, claiming YouGov polling said neck and neck and was confident that he was right.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,027
    edited June 2015

In the light of today's hoisting of the Irish flag over Stormont...[i]f you could hoist the Union flag over any building in the world, where would you go?

Mangala Valles, March 27, 1986.

You didn't say which world...:-)
  • Options

Plato said:

I loved this one

Ignore Favourite
    May 7

and this
    Ignore Favourite
    May 7
    Well I wasn't wrong :-) .....Seemed to remeber that comment was to do with the fact that BBC had Kellner on within minutes of the exit poll news and Kellner was not having any of it, claiming YouGov polling said neck and neck and was confident that he was right.

The exit poll was a duff though, Tories won 14 more than it predicted ;):D
  • Options
    It's such a great realtime read. I've bookmarked it.

Another one was brilliant
    Tim_B Posts: 2,380
    Ignore Favourite
    May 7
    Perfect timing - As David Dimbleby opens his exit poll,the crawler along the bottom of the screen says "Captain Kidd's treasure found"

Plato said:

I loved this one

Ignore Favourite
    May 7

and this
    Ignore Favourite
    May 7

• Options

Plato said:

I loved this one

Ignore Favourite
    May 7

and this
    Ignore Favourite
    May 7

Kellner is German for 'waiter'.
  • Options
    Plato said:

Ignore Favourite
    May 7
    Perfect timing - As David Dimbleby opens his exit poll,the crawler along the bottom of the screen says "Captain Kidd's treasure found"

Plato said:

I loved this one

Ignore Favourite
    May 7

and this
    Ignore Favourite
    May 7

I remember saying that!
  • Options
    MikeL said:

FPT:

Ayes 275, Noes 331

Checking the division list I see DUP voted with the Government. Is that a sign of things to come?

Could be important - either / both of the above would give Cameron much more breathing space.
    I made similar observations on the previous thread. It should be noted that the Liberal Democrats and the Scots Nationalists had tabled their own amendments, but only the Labour amendment was selected, which the Scottish Nationalists, but not the Liberals voted for. Perhaps the most interesting vote will be tomorrow, when it is expected that the debate on the Gracious Speech will conclude. We can expect a vote on up to two amendments, presumably one tabled by Labour, one by the SNP, but also a substantive vote on the Reply to the Address. This is definitely a vote of confidence. The Scottish Nationalists, Labour, PC, the SDLP and Ms Lucas will almost certainly vote against the motion, the Conservatives for it. The Liberal Democrats and Ms Hermon will be toss up between "No" and abstention, and the DUP, UUP and Carswell toss up between abstain and "Yes".
  • Options
    Plato said:

Ignore Favourite
    May 7

Plato said:

I loved this one

Ignore Favourite
    May 7

and this
    Ignore Favourite
    May 7

Even more brilliant - I've only had four posts since then! :)
  • Options
    Some things never change
    Bob__Sykes Posts: 462
    Ignore Favourite
    May 7
    I'm still expecting Ed to be PM. I just don't buy the exit poll.
    Tim_B said:

Plato said:

Ignore Favourite
    May 7

Plato said:

I loved this one

Ignore Favourite
    May 7

and this
    Ignore Favourite
    May 7

• Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    Despite the length a really rather dull article. Yes, some mistakes admitted, but the tone remains one ofa tragedy bringing a good man down. Wholly inaccurate. A more simple article might say: A poor and deluded campaign, a crap leader, a muddled and essentially wrong message, much more focussed opponents with a believable message and a much more competent leader.

The bad news for Labour is that Miliband is still there, along with many of his apologists. The prospective leaders are dealing with a fractious party, which yesterday began PMQs moaning about cuts as if nothing had happened in the meantime. All good news for Cameron :)
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Morning all.

Caught up with story last night, an excellent read by Patrick Wintour I thought – also rather brave, if that’s the right word, by the Guardian. – I hope we soon get to see other 'fly on the wall' accounts from the major parties.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    Superb read, how do you spell schadenfreude? I've always said Ed is a decent if misguided man, regardless of your affiliations he has kept his dignity, the same can't be said of others associated with labour.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    What isn't explained, I think, is the trip to Russell Brand.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,408
    It is worth rereading the article still on the Guardian Website from 3 weeks out explaining how incredibly difficult it was going to be for Cameron to remain PM: http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/apr/16/in-the-election-numbers-game-the-odds-are-stacked-against-cameron

In fairness, the Labour team were not operating in some Romney like fantasy bubble during the election. What they thought was the general consensus in the media and in large part on here (including me).

What sets the Tory campaign apart is their vastly superior intelligence and, probably consequentially, their vastly superior allocation of resources which allowed then to overcome nearly all of the bias that had previously existed in the system for Labour. It is stunning that a party with the resources and the spend of Labour were as misled as the rest of us.
  • Options
    Plato said:

Some things never change

Bob__Sykes Posts: 462
    Ignore Favourite
    May 7
    I'm still expecting Ed to be PM. I just don't buy the exit poll.
    Tim_B said:

Plato said:

Ignore Favourite
    May 7

Plato said:

I loved this one

Ignore Favourite
    May 7

and this
    Ignore Favourite
    May 7

I'd missed the fact that there was even a Yougov exit poll which was stunningly far out. Tories on 284 compared to 331.

Maybe there is an alternative career for them somewhere.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited June 2015
    DavidL said:

It is worth rereading the article still on the Guardian Website from 3 weeks out explaining how incredibly difficult it was going to be for Cameron to remain PM: http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/apr/16/in-the-election-numbers-game-the-odds-are-stacked-against-cameron

In fairness, the Labour team were not operating in some Romney like fantasy bubble during the election. What they thought was the general consensus in the media and in large part on here (including me).

What sets the Tory campaign apart is their vastly superior intelligence and, probably consequentially, their vastly superior allocation of resources which allowed then to overcome nearly all of the bias that had previously existed in the system for Labour. It is stunning that a party with the resources and the spend of Labour were as misled as the rest of us.

Not everyone (cough) was completely misled by the polls. I can say that I was convinced that there was something very wrong about the polls and posted about it on here. it just felt wrong, call it gut instinct if you like but I had spoken to quite a lot of people and what I had was purely anecdotal. On the night of the election however I was feeling pretty worried and was amazed at how wrong the polls had been.
    The Tories private polling was very different to what was being reported in the media....
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    alex. said:

Another bright idea by Lucy Powell by all accounts - no further explanation needed. :lol:
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Not all of us were deceived. Arise Sir JackW!
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,091
    Labour are in deep trouble. Delusion reigns. One can only hope they read and digest the Guardian article, and then pick a sane leader.

But the problem is that many of the people at the top of the party will be the same delusional folks miliband had. And that's the point: it wasn't just Miliband's fault; it was his team. They need a total clean-out.

Which candidate is most likely to do that? Someone who can tell Watson to STFU. Someone who can sack Burnham from health (or preferably any senior role). Someone who will not see private companies as evil. Someone who knows how hard the average joe works for every pound they earn.

I think only Kendall fits that bill.
  • Options
    RobD said:

DavidL said:

Quite so, and its very hard to go contra the flow when every poll you see is contrary to what you are saying. but JACKW was insistent that EMWNBPM, and was right.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

RobD said:

DavidL said:

Quite so, and its very hard to go contra the flow when every poll you see is contrary to what you are saying. but JACKW was insistent that EMWNBPM, and was right.
    Don't get carried away, he predicted the Lib Dems in the 20s.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    edited June 2015

alex. said:

Another bright idea by Lucy Powell by all accounts - no further explanation needed. :lol:
    An explanation is needed for why it was done in the context of an election campaign which the Labour leadership (if you trust the article) apparently thought was going well.

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    DavidL said:

I'd missed the fact that there was even a Yougov exit poll which was stunningly far out. Tories on 284 compared to 331.

Maybe there is an alternative career for them somewhere.

It wasn't really an exit poll. They contacted members of their panel (who might not have voted) and asked them their opinion, then applied their completely broken weighting scheme.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,680
    RobD said:

Plato said:

I loved this one

Ignore Favourite
    May 7

and this
    Ignore Favourite
    May 7

You mean this?

DaemonBarberDaemonBarber Posts: 895
    May 7
    Hahahahahahahaha
    Flag Quote
    DairDair Posts: 3,361
    May 7
    Woah exit poll 316 Tory, 239 Labour
    Flag Quote
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 4,631
    May 7 edited May 7
    A tory majority!
    Flag Quote
    SeanTSeanT Posts: 7,903
    May 7
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    Flag Quote
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 25,079
    May 7
    FUCK ME
    Flag Quote
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 2,638
    May 7 edited May 7
    FUCK ME 316 WTF IS GOING ON
    Flag Quote
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 673
    May 7

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!
    Flag Quote
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 3,111
    May 7
    Wow oh wow oh wow
    Flag Quote
    PurseybearPurseybear Posts: 766
    May 7
    WOWW!!!!!!!!!!! YYEEEEEEESSSS
    Flag Quote
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 5,455
    May 7
    Wow 316 Tory prediction
    Flag Quote
    ProdicusProdicus Posts: 271
    May 7
    King ell
    Flag Quote
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 663
    May 7
    HOLY HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Flag Quote
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 540
    May 7
    OMG!
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    Interesting to discover that Fallon's ridiculous interview was deliberately staged by Crosby. Nasty but effective tactics.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    edited June 2015
    Had my crystal ball out without realising on April 10th !
    Pulpstar said:

April 10 edited April 10
    On topic - This bet is one of the riskiest I have ever seen.

The downside here is enourmous.

If the Conservatives get a majority, which is not completely out the question yet, and Labour underwhelm in England (Alot of 18-24 yr olds amongst their VI so it is perfectly possible) along with the SNP getting over 50 seats in Scotland, you could be looking at a loss of around a hundred points.

So make sure you have 100* stake to cover potential losses imo.

I'm not saying its a bad bet, just a very risky one - far more so than selling UKIP even, or just a plain sale of Con.

• Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    I just love the irony of how Labour's campaign was centred around how out of touch the Tories were...and then you look at Miliband and his team who are a bunch of middle class intellectuals who bang on about inequality without knowing what the hell to do about it
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Interesting to discover that Fallon's ridiculous interview was deliberately staged by Crosby. Nasty but effective tactics.

It was effective because it rang true.
  • Options

That was much discussed at the time. I am still not sure it is actually true. Remember this is a Guardian account of the Labour campaign. Nobody from the Tory camp has confirmed the story as far as I am aware.

I take the view that the Tories always had a grid entry for "attack Miliband" for betrayal. Maybe the scale and tone changed, maybe the date changed, but I am not at all convinced this was dreamt up at the last minute to "move on" from non-doms. Nobody cares about non-doms. The election result proves that.
  • Options

I missed Fallon's comments at the time and, when I read them later, I utterly missed their import. I guess I'm not a political operator.

(As an aside, Southam Observer laughably called me a liar when I said I hadn't read Fallon's comments. Another Labourite who embarrassed himself multiple times over the campaign.)
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,125
    alex. said:

That was very wierd indeed
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

alex. said:

Brand is weird, Miliband is weird.. not such a far stretch really, both of them live on planet zog.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Millsy said:

I just love the irony of how Labour's campaign was centred around how out of touch the Tories were...and then you look at Miliband and his team who are a bunch of middle class intellectuals who bang on about inequality without knowing what the hell to do about it

Very true! We now know who was out of touch with reality.

Labour look out of the game in Scotland, but in England and Wales all is not lost. There is quite a big Green and UKIP vote to be sought.

Getting the leadership right is critical, not just as a sign of policy direction, but also Labour need someone capable of organising what proved to be a very ineffective team.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    malcolmg said:

alex. said:

They were stuck inside a very small bubble that was shrinking.

• Options

malcolmg said:

alex. said:

Brand is weird, Miliband is weird.. not such a far stretch really, both of them live on planet zog.
    Very true, hard to fathom though when you are not a weirdo
  • Options

Millsy said:

Labour look out of the game in Scotland, but in England and Wales all is not lost. There is quite a big Green and UKIP vote to be sought.

Getting the leadership right is critical, not just as a sign of policy direction, but also Labour need someone capable of organising what proved to be a very ineffective team.
    None of the current bunch vying for it will save them
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Had my crystal ball out without realising on April 10th !

Pulpstar said:

April 10 edited April 10
    On topic - This bet is one of the riskiest I have ever seen.

The downside here is enourmous.

If the Conservatives get a majority, which is not completely out the question yet, and Labour underwhelm in England (Alot of 18-24 yr olds amongst their VI so it is perfectly possible) along with the SNP getting over 50 seats in Scotland, you could be looking at a loss of around a hundred points.

So make sure you have 100* stake to cover potential losses imo.

I'm not saying its a bad bet, just a very risky one - far more so than selling UKIP even, or just a plain sale of Con.

I recall that you were not the only one advising to keep well clear. I do not like the near unlimited potential losses on spread betting.

I did well on particular constituencies (against the LDs and UKIPin particular) and on Labout sub 250 band thanks to following the ARSE.

• Options
    The dead-cat rang true as a tactic - but I don't think the Tories were bothered about non-doms either.

What I think it was intended to do, it did - to derail Labour's pet stupid *major announcement* and knock their confidence by making Miliband the issue.

When I read that the non-doms were supposed to be a Big Thing - I scratched my head. And what were the other policies Labour had? I honestly can't think of any and when I asked repeatedly on here for a list of them, no Labourites could summarise them.

No wonder the EdStone was so woolly.
    Scott_P said:

That was much discussed at the time. I am still not sure it is actually true. Remember this is a Guardian account of the Labour campaign. Nobody from the Tory camp has confirmed the story as far as I am aware.

I take the view that the Tories always had a grid entry for "attack Miliband" for betrayal. Maybe the scale and tone changed, maybe the date changed, but I am not at all convinced this was dreamt up at the last minute to "move on" from non-doms. Nobody cares about non-doms. The election result proves that.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Millsy said:

They are not inspired or inspiring are they?

Last time they had David Miliband, Ed Balls, Ed Miliband and Burnham. Frankly a much more substantial choice than what is on show at the moment.
  • Options
    Plato said:

The dead-cat rang true as a tactic - but I don't think the Tories were bothered about non-doms either.

What I think it was intended to do, it did - to derail Labour's pet stupid *major announcement* and knock their confidence by making Miliband the issue.

When I read that the non-doms were supposed to be a Big Thing - I scratched my head. And what were the other policies Labour had? I honestly can't think of any and when I asked repeatedly on here for a list of them, no Labourites could summarise them.

No wonder the EdStone was so woolly.

Scott_P said:

Ironically the first point on the #Edstone was about solid foundation. Now it is being broken up for hardcore and just that purpose...
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    EdM even described the Tories as a hologram, a virtual party that didn't really exist.

I mean WTF? I honestly wonder if the Labour team were in a parallel universe of wishful thinking. The Tories Team2015 had 100 000 volunteers.
    As he urged Labour supporters to dig in for the election fight, he said: "The Tories have got a tonne of money for posters and their campaign - they have got more than us.

"But they are virtual party - and like holograms, they exist, but they do not as people.

"You are going to make the difference in this election. We know that people are more likely to have spoken to someone from Labour on their doorstep than they have from the Conservatives."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/pa/article-3002778/Labour-winning-doorstep.html#ixzz3c4hvEsln
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Millsy said:

• Options
    malcolmg said:

alex. said:

Let's hope Nicola's appearance on The Daily Show goes better, eh Malc?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

Millsy said:

They are not inspired or inspiring are they?

Last time they had David Miliband, Ed Balls, Ed Miliband and Burnham. Frankly a much more substantial choice than what is on show at the moment.
    Apart from the small yet perfectly formed Liz of course :-)
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    The hero from the Tory perspective is the polling industry.
  • Options
    On topic, victory is everything. Had the Tories lost, and scored fewer than 285 seats, a very similar article in the same vein, criticising Crosby, Feldman, Oliver and Cameron, might have appeared in the Telegraph or Spectator written by D'Ancona, or James Kirkup
  • Options

On topic, victory is everything. Had the Tories lost, and scored fewer than 285 seats, a very similar article in the same vein, criticising Crosby, Feldman, Oliver and Cameron, might have appeared in the Telegraph or Spectator written by D'Ancona, or James Kirkup

The reality is that only the SNP and Conservative campaigns hit home. The same article could have been written about Labour, LibDem, Green, UKIP and PC. None of these 5 parties were as in touch as much as they thought.
  • Options
    I see that Jack Warner has his spade out and digging up the bodies. That sounds grisly but entertaining viewing.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,013
    Good morning, my fellow Milibandites.

Comrades, the skirmish of the 2015 General Election has ended in what can only be described as a draw. Chairman Miliband bravely won the people's heart, piling up even more votes than his esteemed predecessor, Comrade Brown.

Due to the depraved perversity of the gerrymandered electoral system, even Chairman Miliband's universal popularity (who can forget the philosophical movement 'Milifandom'?) was insufficient to break the stranglehold of decadent capitalists upon Downing Street.

Comrade Miliband has selflessly resigned his august position as Supreme Leader of the People's Labour Party, but his spirit lives on. One day, comrades, a new Edstone will be engraved and it will be placed in Number Ten's garden. And on that day, comrades, the profiteering capitalists shall rightly tremble.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    The Guardian piece also seems at odds with that very negative Labour Uncut piece which said Labour was about to lose which I think was the weekeend before... and that internally they knew it.

It might be worth revisiting that Uncut piece to see how wrong they were (or actually weren't)
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,061
    I see Qatar have come out to describe anyone who makes moves to investigate their bid as being anti Arab. Wearingly predictable.
  • Options

Well, yes. But if that had happened then the campaign would have been significantly different, and the criticisms might be valid.

Having said that, both the Conservatives and Labour need to be asking themselves what went both right and wrong: the Conservatives will be tempted to ignore the latter, and Labour the former.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Brand and the Stone were probably the breaking point for many voters..it was like being locked inside a bad dream and you cannot get out....they must have thought...no effin way...
  • Options
    edited June 2015

The reality is that only the SNP and Conservative campaigns hit home. The same article could have been written about Labour, LibDem, Green, UKIP and PC. None of these 5 parties were as in touch as much as they thought.
    There were weaknesses in the Tory campaign too, several of which regularly were trailed on here. Crosby in particular came in for heavy criticism as was Cameron's "coasting" and "lack of passion". The Tory campaign didn't really feel like it had much traction until the final two weeks.

But, at the end of the day, the Tories won and Labour's problems were worse, so we now gloss those over.
  • Options
    JPJ2JPJ2 Posts: 378
    From the Guardian article

"Alastair Campbell – who was increasingly involved in the final weeks of the campaign, even attending meetings with Miliband’s inner circle – wrote a punchy “one nation” speech for Chatham House. “Taking Britain to the edge of Europe and firing the flames of Scottish Nationalism, as Cameron did the morning after the referendum, are desperate acts of survival,” the speech was to have said. “He is a man that cares more about a few more years in power than a few hundred years of a union that has served our country and served the world so well.”

Alexander thought it would work................

Another aide explained why the Campbell speech was axed: “The rival view was that our vulnerability on English nationalism was really very severe and anything that sounded like we were defending the Scots would be music to the Tories’ ears, and just make the problem worse. So the two arguments cancelled each other out.”

On 30 April, Miliband went even further in attempting to distance Labour from the SNP. On BBC Question Time that evening, he stated that if a deal with the SNP was what stood between him and Downing Street, “then so be it. I’m not going to give in to SNP demands – whether that is on Trident or on the deficit.” But by then it was surely too late."

Unquestionably Douglas Alexander was correct.

Given the high likelihood of the SNP remaining at Westminster with 50-59 MPs at the next 2020 election (if Scotland is not en route to a UK exit), the Labour Party had better grasp that they must attack the Conservatives along the lines used in the speech that was never given, rather than monstering the SNP for daring to seek to legitimately represent Scotland.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I see Qatar have come out to describe anyone who makes moves to investigate their bid as being anti Arab. Wearingly predictable.

The African vox pop on the world service had much the same sentiment. Sepp did a lot for African and Asian football as part of his personality cult.

The investigation needs to be seen as anti-corruption rather than anti any particular country. There needs to be a demonstration of how Africans and Asians lost out on facilities because of graft to get these nations on board.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Interesting that Labour had not really done a risk analysis on all potential election outcomes.
    BTW, did any PBer suffer any serious losses with the bookies that night or were they able to minimise them?
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    You could say that Ed was unlucky.

Nicola stabbed him in the front. Not only did the SNP threat stop some Labour voters turning out, it revitalised some Tories and panicked a few the right-leaning Kippers into returning; the thought being - a referendum's better than the risk of Edstone Ed.

A double whammy from the tartan hordes.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    Financier said:

Interesting that Labour had not really done a risk analysis on all potential election outcomes.
    BTW, did any PBer suffer any serious losses with the bookies that night or were they able to minimise them?

My NOM position was fairly poor, wiped out quite a few gains elsewhere.
  • Options
    JPJ2 said:

Unquestionably Douglas Alexander was correct.

Yes, the unexpected piece of that article is it elicits a hint of sympathy for Wee Dougie...
  • Options
    IIRC a few on here said they'd be quite stung by the LDs failing to get 11 seats or more.

Did anyone make money on them having 8 or less?
    MaxPB said:

Financier said:

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,950
    Wow, more of a short book rather than a newspaper article. I wonder if Labour will now see the need to purge everyone involved with such a crap campaign?

Ten meetings, about the 2.5m monument to vacuous platitudes, really?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,577
    I tend to think people’s opinions shift a lot less in response to campaigns than we think. The Tories are seen to have done a pretty good job on the economy. Cameron looks PMish. Therefore they won.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Well quite. I can't believe it was in AOB either. It was meant to be some great set piece FFS.

And it wasn't like a pop-up tent. It must have taken several weeks to commission and hone.
    Sandpit said:

Wow, more of a short book rather than a newspaper article. I wonder if Labour will now see the need to purge everyone involved with such a crap campaign?

• Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    Stephen Doughty (Cardiff South and Penarth), Nick Smith (Blaenau Gwent) and Chris Evans (Islwyn) backs Kendall for Leader

Cruddas backs Lammy for London Mayor
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited June 2015
    "You could say that Ed was unlucky”

Ed wasn’t unlucky. Ed was crap.

Contrast the Scottish position Ed started with (SNP minority Govt with just one more seat than Lab in Holyrood, 41/59 seats at Westminster) and the position he is passing on to the next leader (SNP majority Govt in Holyrood, 1/59 seats).

All the disasters in Scotland happened on Ed’s watch.

Of course, problems have been building for Labour in Scotland for longer, but a defter and more intelligent leader would have moved more quickly to start fixing the problems.

Despite being endlessly told Ed is very intelligent, I don’t really seen any sign of intelligence or even a more basic nous for survival.

Truth to tell, he was an appalling choice for leader, he was Labour’s IDS. Many of us said that repeatedly on pb.com, including many on the left such as Southam.

Whilst I have some sympathy for Ed at a personal level, it is minute. He seems to me to be talentless -- bad at politics, bad at oratory, bad at leadership, bad at survival. Whatever one thinks of Gordon Brown or Neil Kinnock or Tony Blair or John Smith, there were somethings they were good at. Ed was good at nothing.

• Options
    Plato said:

IIRC a few on here said they'd be quite stung by the LDs failing to get 11 seats or more.

Did anyone make money on them having 8 or less?

MaxPB said:

Financier said:

Shadsy had a market on exact LD seats. I forecast 14 but covered exact results from 8-18 as cover, so I more or less broke even on these. I did well on constituencies by betting against the LD.
  • Options
    Just watched the Jack Warner speech on Sky...extraordinary...I wonder who he has handed the info to..
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,791
    Scott_P said:

malcolmg said:

alex. said:

Let's hope Nicola's appearance on The Daily Show goes better, eh Malc?
    I have no doubt Nicola will do well - much as Angus Robertson did at PMQs yesterday.

Salmond is the SNP's Farage. Discuss.
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191
    I got to here:

"But Miliband knew the story of his “forgetting the deficit” would prove devastating. “He was really upset,” the speech writer recalled. “He pushes himself very hard – he was very, very angry with himself even before he knew it was going to be the main story out of the speech. We tried to cheer him up, but even then he was too upset. He did not come to the celebratory party, he just did not want to come out of his room.”"

and I had to go outside to get some air.

• Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    "Ed wasn’t unlucky. Ed was crap."

Ed was both.

Mr Sandpit, there's no need to purge anyone. Instead of sitting around thinking up gormless stunts, the Labour Spads and advisors should have been out on the streets talking to, and not at, the voters. At least then, the result may not have been such a shock.

But by then, it was probably too late - they'd stuck with the dud for too long.

• Options
    Surely one day someone who was there will write a book about those meetings, how a vast stone monument to nothingness and a visit to an anti-voting comedian were top of the agenda for the last week of the campaign, and spending a whole week earlier talking about non-doms rather than health or education.
    Plato said:

Well quite. I can't believe it was in AOB either. It was meant to be some great set piece FFS.

And it wasn't like a pop-up tent. It must have taken several weeks to commission and hone.

Sandpit said:

• Options
    The Guardian article says Labour thought they'd keep between 7-10 Scottish seats.

I wonder where they were??!

"You could say that Ed was unlucky”

Ed wasn’t unlucky. Ed was crap.

Contrast the Scottish position Ed started with (SNP minority Govt with just one more seat than Lab in Holyrood, 41/59 seats at Westminster) and the position he is passing on to the next leader (SNP majority Govt in Holyrood, 1/59 seats).

All the disasters in Scotland happened on Ed’s watch.

Of course, problems have been building for Labour in Scotland for longer, but a defter and more intelligent leader would have moved more quickly to start fixing the problems.

Despite being endlessly told Ed is very intelligent, I don’t really seen any sign of intelligence or even a more basic nous for survival.

Truth to tell, he was an appalling choice for leader, he was Labour’s IDS. Many of us said that repeatedly on pb.com, including many on the left such as Southam.

Whilst I have some sympathy for Ed at a personal level, it is minute. He seems to me to be talentless -- bad at politics, bad at oratory, bad at leadership, bad at survival. Whatever one thinks of Gordon Brown or Neil Kinnock or Tony Blair or John Smith, there were somethings they were good at. Ed was good at nothing.

• Options
    I love this Guardianista comment on CiF, liked by a fellow 86 nincompoops:

"Ikonoclast

The 'great British public' weren't given a chance to judge him, or Labours superb and fully costed manifesto. The Tories never won, Lynton Crosby never won, the tiniest of majorities was secured by the BBC, Sky, ITV and Murdoch and Dacre."

When are they going to get over it?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,013
    Mr. Royale, surely a supporter of Miliband and his stone should be an iconodule? :p
  • Options

Just watched the Jack Warner speech on Sky...extraordinary...I wonder who he has handed the info to..

This is going to be more fun than watching the World Cup! They are tripping over themselves now to join Chuck Blazer as informants, hoping to get in slightly less trouble as a result.
    I can't believe that Blatter walked out of the boardroom whenever a dodgy payment was discussed over 15 years, so someone must have something on him.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

There were weaknesses in the Tory campaign too, several of which regularly were trailed on here. Crosby in particular came in for heavy criticism as was Cameron's "coasting" and "lack of passion". The Tory campaign didn't really feel like it had much traction until the final two weeks.

But, at the end of the day, the Tories won and Labour's problems were worse, so we now gloss those over.
    Largely they are ignored because they're invalid now.

Many (myself included) couldn't understand the Tory priorities in sending Cameron around our LD allies territory when we were forecast to lose upto 50 Tory seats to Labour. Defending seats from Labour made sense as "one seat lost to Labour is like two won from the LDs" plus the LDs had a famous "cockroach like ability to survive" so it was pointless.

At the end of the day we didn't really net lose seats to Labour and taking the LD seats succeeded. The coasting argument isn't made now as it was in hindsight wrong. In a counter-factual scenario the argument would be made as it would in hindsight have been right.

Hindsight is 20-20.
  • Options
    I quite believed him when he said he may be dead by the end of the day [by the hands of others] so had gone for the nuclear option. It felt like a video suicide note full of saying sorry, setting out his thoughts etc.

If it wasn't so real, it'd be funny.

• Options
    JPJ2JPJ2 Posts: 378
    Carlotta Vance

"Salmond is the SNP's Farage. Discuss."

Salmond is an MP-and already embarrassing the Tories about the farce of their apparent intention of having the Scottish Select Committee dominated by English Tories, while intending to establish EVEL.

Farage-a defeated candidate.
  • Options
    Plato... being killed would rather prove his point..and would only intensify the investigation..adding murder to the charge list..
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191
    Plato said:

I'm amazed this hasn't made it to here already - the BBC tweeted that the Queen was dead. http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/royalfamily/article4459912.ece

It appears that a journalist thought the rehearsals for HRH's death were real... yeah, I'd tweet that, not. Complete with typo.

“Queen Elizabrth has died” @BBCWorld

I was in the queue at Tescos at 11 ish last night and that came on with the fragrant Ros Urwin (nnnngh). Lass in front of me shouted "THE QUEEN IS DEAD? WHEN DID THAT HAPPEN" and two of us had to calm down.
  • Options
    The Jack Warner Files..next world beating best seller..I hope he retained the copyright..
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Listening to the radio, on the drive in, that HMG are no longer going to subsidise on-shore Wind energy. Apparently Scotland may get a bit upset as they plan to be all -Green energy in the foreseeable future. Makes sense as our industry cannot afford more expensive energy than its competition.